A Night At The Gala

By BethylTWDFan43

***After Double Blind*** Once more we find Max Goodwin turning New Amsterdam on it's head. When Brantley tel... More

Part 1: Lust or Fear- which is Stronger?
Part 2: Boiling Water
Part 3: The Fight That Ends It All
Part 4: Avoidance is a Sport
Part 5: The Gala Ignites
Part 6: Comfort in a Smile
Part 7: Full Chemo
Part 9: Mine and Ours
Part 10: Burden's End
Part 11: Complete

Part 8: Stronger than Steel

829 12 1
By BethylTWDFan43

Malignant Bilateral Vestibular Schwannoma.

Sitting in her office staring at the images on her laptop, Helen feels so angry and upset and so much grief inside her. Why? It's not like she put two tumors in Kaia's brain. It's not like she isn't going to try her hardest to help Kaia. It just hurts right now. Max was right. She got too emotionally invested in this little girl and now her whole body hurts like she had gotten run over by a Mack truck. It's not fair. Then again, she can throw fair out the window- just like she told Max too. How does she explain to a 5 year old that she has a very serious sickness that is going to slowly eat away at her brain and other vital organs? How does she tell a beautiful little girl that she is going to lose her hair for a surgery that may or may not fix the problem? How does she tell a little girl that she is most likely deaf because two tumors covered and destroyed her Vestibular nerve and that's why she can't hear anyone? How does she explain that all of this could have been caught two years ago and had been treated and maybe she could have regained some of her hearing? More importantly, how do you tell a little girl you're so scared to lose her- without crushing her hope and faith in you- her doctor?

The answer to all these questions are you have to find a way. There is no way around this. There is no cover ups or silently fixing the problem without the other person knowing. There is no sweeping it under the rug and hoping no one removes it. She can't hide from this. She must be strong and face it. The best plan of action is try for surgery to remove both tumors from both sides of her brain and then try for radiation to remove the rest of the cancer cells. However that's easier said than done. The procedure would be very tasking and it would run the risk of damaging parts of that beautiful mind. It's a catch 22. She can't just radiate. She has to remove and biopsy and radiate. With Bilateral Vestibular Schwannomas, Helen would have to call in the best Neurosurgeon and pray that they could remove them without damage to Kaia's brain and normal functions. A knock carries her thoughts to the door and she finds Max slowly entering. Shutting the door, he comes around her desk and kneels beside her chair. His hand gently rests on her arm and he rubs up and down trying to gage her thoughts and emotions without asking.

"Surgery has to happen...but it's risky. The left tumor sits right on top of her Cochlear nerve and is pushing against her facial nerve as well. It's just big enough that it applies pressure in both places. One wrong move and she either will lose the ability to move the muscles in her face..." Helen starts and Max finishes the thought.

"Or she will never hear. Helen, I know it would be great to get a bit of her hearing back with this surgery, but if you have to end up making a choice in which one would go- wouldn't you choose to keep that beautiful smile instead of giving her something that might never come back anyway." She leans back in her chair and rubs her hands down her face.

"Yes, but what if we get rid of both tumors and she gets a bit of that hearing back. With hearing aids she could at least make out some of the sounds of the world around her. She could hear bits of music or fragments of my voice. The sound of rain on the roof. She wouldn't be limited to having to feel for heavy sounds."

"Helen, I know it would be amazing for her to hear you and the world. To enjoy music and sounds she's never heard before, but it's more important to think about what would make her feel more included. Being able to smile and frown and make faces- raise her eyebrows, keep her mouth shut and open it wide when laughing. Children and adults may not know how to speak with her, but with facial expressions they can tell if she's upset or happy or about to punch someone in the face. Just think about that, please. We're going in to get rid of the tumors and trying to keep everything in tact, but if anything does get clipped...let's just hope it's not taking away her smile." Sighing, she knows he is right, but she still hates it. The possiblity of her being able to hear would bring so much joy to Helen. However, the little girl's smile lights up the room.

"I know you're right...but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it." She pouts and he turns her roller chair so she's facing him and lays his head in lap and holds her around her stomach. Her hands push into his hair that has gotten longer. She loves him so much.

"That's fine by me." They stay like this for a while and then slowly break apart. "Other than this whole thing- how are you doing? What do you need?"

His eyes glisten in the lights and she loves how caring and concerned he is for her. There's nothing she doesn't love about this man.

"I'm doing okay. It's just a lot."

"What can I do to lighten up this luggage?" He plants small kisses on her one hand he pulls down to his lips.

"Well, for starters, you can hold me close on my couch." She whispers, not really expecting him to do anything. However, much to her surprise, he scoops her up out her her chair and takes her to the couch and sits down with her in his lap.

"Done. Now what?" He squeezes her close to his body and she just giggles slightly at how eager he seems to please her.

"Kiss me." Her voice is low and full of seduction. His eye lids lower as if waiting for the kill, when he slowly goes in for the attack. His thin lips are gentle against hers and she can taste the mint gum that must've been in his mouth prior to stepping in her office, because he's still fresh and minty. His right hand holds onto her bottom as his Left supports her small frame. Their kiss only deepens when she pulls on his scrub top and tugs him closer to her. His tongue explores her mouth and battles her tongue to be in charge. Moving her hands to hold onto his shoulders, Helen gets taken away in their kiss slides off of his lap so she can lay flat on her tiny love seat. Max moves over top of her and has his hands gripping either side of the couch as his right leg supports him on the floor and his left leg is in between Helen's. From this angle, he can't help but push his pelvis into her upper right thigh as he takes full advantage of being on top of her. Helen nearly chokes on the air between them as she feels him against her. It's not that it's unwanted either, she was just not expecting him to be hard up in a matter of seconds. He continues his press and Helen feels her own excitement steeping in her jeans. She pulls him down closer to her body- silently begging him to just continue until she finds the untouched release from inside her. He feels like a teenager again in his basement "studying" with his female classmates. The fabric of his scrub pants are typically loose, but today they feel so restricting. He continues his raid on her mouth and against her thigh until finally, she can't take it any more. "Just fuck me Max!"

His eyes widen a bit and she feels she's made a mistake, that is until he speedily starts unbuttoning her pants and tries to tug them off. When they're off her body, he removes her undergarments as well and slides his pants down.

"The door!" She commands and he stumbles out of his pants and locks the door and pulls the blinds closed. In seconds, he's back between her and removes his boxers. Her eyes go wide at the sight of him- his girth and length better than other's she's had. She won't admit it out loud, but he's the first white guy she's ever been with and he outshines all the other men she's ever been with from 18 to 38. Pulling at his top, he throws it to the floor and then pulls at hers hastily. Removing it and tossing it to her office floor, Max takes in the whole sight of her. Her gorgeous naked body that he has missed looking at. His member twitches with excitement and Helen takes notice of this. Her hands reach out and grab at his hips, hoping he stops staring and just takes full advantage of her. Legs spread wide, she has one ankle hooked around his waist and the other is dangling off the couch. Max has other plans however. Unhooking her leg from him, he backs up, spreads her legs and runs his tongue along her womanhood. She jerks her upper torso upward so she can actually see and confirm that he is pleasuring her instead of diving right in. He laps at her wet, warm lower lady as Helen grips the back of the couch- taking in the feel of his tongue torturing her. She feels herself building quickly and just when she thinks she can fall over the edge, he stops and her eyes flick open. She furrows her brows at this sudden halt and her body begins to ache. He smiles wickedly and she glowers at him. "Max!"

"Are you whining?" He asks devilishly.

"Yes." She says commandingly. Max bites the inside of his cheek and contemplates what he should do about this. He could torture her a bit longer or allow her to find pleasure. He chooses the torturous route- remembering very well just how bossy and domineering she can be. It drives him insane having her traipse around like she's in charge. He finds it sexy, but he knows that the torture he could ensue would be wild and drive her even more crazy. Going back down on her, he starts again and she mellows at the touch of him, a low moan in her throat as he licks and sucks at her clit and runs two fingers in and out of her. Once more she builds her excitement and pleasure and is about to climax, when he removes himself from her. She groans in frustration and looks at him- her body twisting in pain of being so close and not being able to reach the peak. Max glides his hand over her sex and she presses upward into his hand so he pulls it away. He grins at her angered facial expression. The way she tries to intimidate him isn't working so much right now because he knows she's in need of his touch. After a few moments he goes back and begins again and she thinks she can keep him there by holding onto the back of his head and tugging on his hair everytime he tries to move just slightly away. He lets her believe she controls him in doing this, until once more she's close and he fucks with her again by tugging away from her. "Oh my GOD! JUST LET ME CUM ALREADY!"

He starts laughing and decides to allow her at least a little bit of pleasure. However in a matter of seconds he flops down on the couch and pulls her on top of him- her back to his chest and knees out wide- planted feet on the couch cushion and his on the floor. Without warning, he pushes into her and she gasps from his size and holds onto the back of the couch as he pushes up into her- perfectly angled to hit her most sensitive areas. Reaching around, he rubs his fingers of her clitoris and continues to thrust inside her. Her moans become louder and he grunts and groans in his own pleasure as they rise quickly together towards pleasure. She feels over stimulated though. Her body aching from all the pent up need to orgasm only intensifies every movement he makes. He too is feeling overly pained at how close he is.

"Oh yes! Fuck my cunt! Give me all your cock!" Her dirty words only push him harder into her. It's such a turn on hearing the prim proper lady become such a dirty mouthed woman. Before he can hear any more, he feels right there and with one twitch of her insides tightening around him as she cums he follows soon after and just keeps thrusting harder and harder into her until he has nothing left to expell. Holding her close, the feeling in their bodies slowly dissipate and small spasms vibrate through them. They breathe heavily trying to catch their breaths from the rough excursion. "Oh thank God..."

"You have such a potty mouth." He groans outwardly. She heaves a heavy sigh and releases her hands from the back of the couch.

"You are such an arsehole." He laughs at her frustration and runs his hands up and down her body from her hips up to her breasts.

"We're lucky these walls are sound proof." She lays her arms on top of his and squeezes his hands.

"You truly are mean." She adds and he kisses her neck.

"Was that not enjoyable though?"

"Yes- when you actually kept going. Why would you just stop? Do you know how cruel that is?"

"Just a little torture my darling. You survived. It made for a better outcome. You can't deny it."

"Let me try it out on you and see how much you enjoy it." Playfully growling, she pulls herself off of him and feels his cum seeping down her.

"I'm good. Thank you though." He. Beams and she rolls her eyes at him. "Sorry about that by the way."

She looks down at his pleasure coming down her thigh. Going to her desk, she sits on the edge of it and wipes off the seaman with a few tissues and then uses her finger to get the rest out.

"It's fine...nothing would have happened anyway. Apparently my ovaries are geriatric." She frowns and he stands up and goes over to her. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he kisses her neck and jaw and then looks into her dark brown eyes.

"Regardless of what your doctor says- you are like a teenager still." Puffing air out her nose, she scoffs and he smiles wider. "Honestly, you wear me out girl."

"Stop..." Giggling a bit, she feels a little better and she tosses the tissues in the bin by her desk.

"It's true. Best time of my life, just now. I enjoyed hearing you plead for me and become a frustrated sailor." Scoffing once more, she pushes him playfully and he just pulls her closer to him. "I love you, Helen."

"I love you too...even if you are an arsehole."

**Later that Evening**

She had ordered them take out and found her composure just in time as she walks into Kaia's room with the goodies. The little girl had been wiped out from the scan and everything else that she slept most of the day. Which was fine because it gave Helen and Max time to, hcchmmm, do some research in her office. Finding the little girl sitting up in bed with a small smile on her face, reassures Helen that she can be just as strong as the young girl...she hopes.

Setting the bags down, she waves hello and Kaia starts in on things.

"Did the picture turn out okay?"

"Yes, but we can talk about that after we eat."

"Is Dr.Max coming?" The little girl beams and Helen smiles whole heartedly at that comment.

"Yes, very soon. He has to get his little girl, Luna. She's a baby." Kaia's eyes go wide with excitement and she bounces slightly in the bed. "I think you'll like her. She is so cute and sweet."

"I was never allowed to play with the babies at home."

"Well, I'm sure Luna would love to play with you." Just as Helen finishes her sentence, Max comes in with Luna in her stroller. Kaia's eyes light up and the biggest smile forms on her face. "Kaia, meet Luna."

Waving at the small child, Luna giggles when she sees Kaia. Taking her out of the stroller, Max brings her over and sets Luna on the bed. Helen and Max stand on either side so she doesn't fall off. Crawling across the mattress, Luna comes up to Kaia and climbs in her lap. She finds a piece of the girl's hair and tugs gently on it.

"Luna, no, no baby. Don't pull." Max says and Kaia just smiles and giggles. Helen beams as she watches the two girls sit together and explore each other's faces and hands. Luna stands in front of Kaia- who holds her waist and the small baby bounces up and down happily. "I think they like each other."

"This is Kaia's first baby experience. It's so precious." The adults smile at each other and now Luna is trying to knock Kaia over by climbing up her more. Helen snags the child and brings her back down to the mattress. "You okay? What do you think?"

"I think she likes me." Luna grabs Kaia by her hands and shakes them.

"Luna found a way to make her stop talking. Haha."

"Max, that's not funny." Helen scolds him and he straightens up.

"It was a little funny." He mumbles and they watch Luna sit down finally in Kaia's lap.

"Do you like pizza?"

"I've had it once. It was good!"

"Well, I brought us cheese and pepperoni pizza from my favorite place- Bulldog's." Helen says and the little girl claps which makes Luna clap as well. Going over to the counter, Helen grabs plates and napkins and puts a slice of pizza on a plate for Kaia and then cuts teeny tiny pieces up for Luna. Going over, she hands the children their plates and Max helps Luna. "How many slices do you want, Max?"

"Hmm, I'll have one for right now. Thank you." She grabs him a slice and one for herself and comes back over to the bed. When she hands him the plate, he leans down and kisses her cheek to thank her. Her cheeks heat up and redden slightly. She looks out towards the hallway to see if any of the staff seen that- thankfully not. She doesn't rumors flying around about them. They all eat peacefully and have seconds. When Luna falls asleep, Max goes to take her, but Kaia gestures him to stop. "What?"

"She's fine. Let her sleep!"

"She wants you to let her sleep. She says She's fine with her." Kaia covers the baby up with her blanket and cradles her in between her legs. Helen looks up at Max and her smile fades to a frown. "I have to tell her...don't I?"

"We don't want to wait Helen. The longer we wait the worse it'll be." Helen sighs and puts on her brave face. She sits in front of Kaia on the bed and smiles at her. Kaia looks up from Luna and smiles widely.

"Darling, I have something important to tell you. Okay?"

"Okay."

"This is going to be hard to understand, but I know you are very, very smart."

"What's wrong? Did I do something?"

"NO! No...you are perfect. But you're very sick. Your brain has two things in it that are making you very ill. We need to do surgery on your brian to make you better. Then we have to do a few more things to make sure the bad things don't come back." Kaia just sits there and watches Helen explain and all Max can do is try to appear calm and collected. Something he's not. He too has grown attached to Kaia in such a small amount of time. Watching Helen tell her she's very sick is making a knot in his stomach. How is Helen so strong? How can she sit there with no tears in her eyes, no apprehension and tell the little girl she loves that she is very sick and dying? He couldn't do it. If it was Luna, he wouldn't be able to even think about it.

"Will I be okay?"

"I am going to try and keep you safe and get you healthy again." She can't answer that question and Kaia knows there's something more. She may be almost five but she's very perceptive and she's so smart that she sees right through Helen.

"I'm going to die...aren't I? That's why you're sad right now." Helen's faux smile fades and she swallows hard in her throat. Why do children ask such hard questions. This is the second child she's had that asked her about death.

"Kaia...Kaia, we will fight. Okay? We can fight and we can get through this. Together. You have to trust me though."

"If we fight and get through [this], then I will just end up back in the orphanage alone. Because no one wants me... I rather die." The second her hand says die- Helen feels her heart drop.

"I want you! Kaia, I want you so badly it hurts. You have to fight for me. For you. For Max and Luna! We love you! We want you, baby. And I will fight for you to be mine, but I need you to fight to live. I want to be your Mum more than anything. But I need you to fight." Tears stream down Helen and Kaia's face. Helen grabs the little girl and holds her close to her chest and wraps her arms tightly around her. Max can tell that something serious was said and it wasn't about Kaia's tumors. He watches the tears stream down their faces and wishes he could understand. Luna is fast asleep near them and Max is surprised the commotion isn't waking her up. Helen plants kisses on the little girl's temple and tries to stop her tears. Kaia pulls away and Helen feels empty from her absence.

"I want you too. I love you and Max and Luna. You are my mum."

"We will get through this together. I promise, baby. We will get through all of it." Pulling her back into her arms, Helen has never held someone tight before. She feels like she's going to snap the little girl in half, but she doesn't let go.

"Helen...are we okay?" Max comes up by her and places a hand on her back.

"Max, we have to figure out how we can adopt her. They won't let me have her by myself. I don't know what to do." She tears up again and Max sighs. He knows of one way they would get approved, but he doesn't know if he should say it.

"I'll think of something. Don't worry. I'm your net remember? I got you."

**The Next Day**

It was hard pulling away from Kaia last night and leaving her to sleep. Helen had barely enough strength to go home. However, she got there. It wasn't easy and she barely slept, but she found enough energy to pull herself together and separate herself just enough to make the best decision. She and Max went separate ways last night and this morning as Helen walks in, she finds Max standing in the Atrium waiting for her. He isn't in scrubs though and Luna isn't with him. It's a bit odd to be honest. Seeing him in normal clothes makes Helen not only nervous, but a bit curious. They meet in the middle of their distance apart and he takes her hands in his.

"You need to come with me." His voice is soft and calm and yet it terrifies Helen to the bone.

"Max...what happened?" He feels her begin to shake and to reassure her, he kisses her lips- right there for everyone to see.

"Just come with me. Please." Nodding, she slowly follows him and begins analyzing everything about him today. His hair is gelled back slightly, he's in a black button down dress shirt and jeans. His beard is trimmed back and his hands are shaking ever so slightly. What has he done? Better yet, what did she do? As he leads her down the hallway and through the main quarters passed Pain de Vie and the Security booth- Max keeps quiet and never looks at her, but he moves with haste. She nearly has to run in her Louis Vuitton heels to keep up with him tugging her along. Before she even realizes it, they are outside the court room's big oak door. She stops him.

"Max...what are we doing? Will you answer me, please?" Before she can even blink, Max turns and takes both her hands in his.

"You trust me, Helen?"

"Yes, but what..."

"And you love me?"

"Yes, Max, but..."

"You asked me to find away for us to get Kaia. I found a way, but I need you to be certain about how you feel towards me."

"Max, I love you. I've always loved you. I trust you more than I trust myself and anyone else. Now what is this about?" He drops to his knee and pulls out a black velvet box. Her eyes widen and her mouth opens slightly as her heart pounds hard against her ribs. "Max..."

"Helen, I love you and I love that girl. So I have to ask- will you marry me...right now...?"

"Is this really what you want? You want me?"

"Yes."

"Max, we haven't even been together a week..."

"Helen we've been together for almost a year and just never acknowledged it. You've had my heart since we met and it'll be yours until I die. I'm certain I know what I want. Do you?" Helen looks away and let's out a deep breath, her emotions getting the best of her this morning.

"Max, this is your life. This is crazy. Have you even thought about this? About how this is going to effect the Dam and..."

"I've thought this moment out for a long time and now I get to act upon it. I don't care about the Dam, Helen. I care about you. It's your life too...maybe it is crazy, but sometimes you just can't hesitate. So Helen Sharpe, will you be my wife and the mother to my children?" She gets down in front of him on both knees and holds onto both sides of his face. She looks deeply into his eyes- looking for any hint of hesitation or uncertainty. Not finding anything but a gleam and herself, she leans forward and kisses him.

"Yes, Max...Yes, I will marry you. I love you."  The biggest smile rises to his face and he pulls her in for another kiss. Pulling away, he opens up the box and she looks down and laughs outwardly. "Wow...I love it."

"Kinda last moment, but I'll get us better ones." She smiles as he takes out a white twist tie that is pinched at the ends and has a clear bead on it. It looks like something kids would make for each other, but she doesn't mind.

"I love it, Max. Truly." He takes her hand and slides it on her ring finger.

"It's adjustable too..." He jokes and she giggles and actually has a few tears coming from her eyes. She wipes them away with her right hand and smiles at him.

"Well, you don't get that with any other rings." He looks up at her and notices a few tears. Wiping them away, he kisses her and pulls her into his arms.

"You okay?"

"I'm perfect...you're perfect. I love you....do you have one?" Max laughs and leaves her go. Pulling out another twist tie, a black one, he smiles and she laughs.

"Remind me to buy new bread and bagels later...mine are gonna be stale. Haha." She laughs and wipes a few more tears out of her eyes and they stand up. "Ready? I already arranged for Judge Hayashi to marry us. She has the licenses and everything we need."

"Yes, let's go." Walking hand in hand, Max opens the door and inside is Lauren, Reynolds and Casey on Helen's side and Iggy, Vijay, and Ella on Max's. Iggy presses a button on his phone and Canon in D starts playing as they walk down the aisle to the judge's bench. Helen has tears in her eyes, especially when she finds little Luna in a very cute dress being held by Evie, who is sitting by Floyd. Lauren tosses some flower petals and Ella clips a tiny vail in Helen's hair. Vijay opens the swing gate for them and they enter. When they get in front of Judge Hayashi, Iggy stops the music and they stand facing each other. Wiping her eyes again, trying not to smear her eyeliner, Helen smiles widely and Max rubs his thumbs over the back of her hands.

"Welcome. I gotta say this is the first wedding for me- so it's special all the way around. First I want to start by saying that though this is a court room- today it is the place where we join Max and Helen together as one. Max, you may speak." Max breathes in deep and smiles at Helen. Iggy records the whole thing.

"Helen, my whole life, I believed there was someone special out there for me. Someone who was supposed to be my best friend, my rock, and the person who I could compete against and still find them the most important person in my life. I realized a while ago that you are my person. You are my foundation and my safety net and the person who doesn't hesitate to tell me the truth. When I first met you I thought you were the most beautiful, confident- amazingly cool- woman and I knew I wanted you to be in my life forever. I'm so blessed to have you here. To be able to hold you and hear your voice and to know that you'll always have my back even when we fight. I love you more than life itself and I want to share my life with you- forever." Helen bites her bottom lip as it quivers and Judge Hayashi looks at Helen.

"Well, I don't have anything planned...but...um...I'm gonna go for it." Everyone laughs and Helen grips Max's hands tighter. "Max, you are the most caring person I've ever met. Everyday, you do these amazing things that come from your heart. Most people don't do that. I never used too. Then I met you and I realized that I don't need titles or materials or recognition for anything. Those things don't matter to me any more. It's been in my head for a while now- that all I need, all that anyone needs, is love. With you, I have love in my heart and soul and I don't ever want to lose that. I love that we can understand how the other is feeling just by a look. I love that you make me a better person and doctor and have opened my eyes to simply tossing the room upside down to make life better. I couldn't do this without you. I couldn't do anything without you, because you are my everything and that'll never change. I love you and I'll always love you."

"Beautiful. Truly. Now, is there anyone here who has a reason these two should not be married- if so speak now or forever hold your peace." No one says anything and the Judge nods and smiles. "Do you Maxim Nathaniel Goodwin take Helen Eleaya Sharpe to be your lawfully wedded wife- to have and to hold, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, til death to you part for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"And do you Helen Eleaya Sharpe take Maxim Nathaniel Goodwin to be you lawfully wedded husband- to have and to hold, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health- til death do you part for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"Then by the power vested in me by the state of New York- I here by pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride." Max pulls Helen into his arms and kisses her. Their friends cheer and clap for then and Max and Helen just take each other in. They separate and Judge Hayashi smiles and gestures to the papers on the table beside them. "If you both will sign these documents I will fax them to city hall. Are we changing last names at all?"

Helen looks at Max and both are curious as to what the other is thinking.

"It's up to you. Whatever you would like." Max says and Helen smiles.

"I kinda like the sound of Helen Goodwin."

"Or I could be Max Sharpe. Haha I'd sound like a spy. Sharpe, Max Sharpe." He makes a gun symbol with his hand and holds it up. Helen rolls her eyes.

"Oh Lord no. I'm taking your last name and that's final." She declares and he is actually quite surprised. She signs the marriage license and then starts the papers of changing her last name. After about 10 minutes of paperwork- Hayashi takes them and smiles widely.

"Congrats you too."

"Thank you." Holding onto his arm, Helen rests her head on his shoulder and squeezes him tightly. Everyone comes up and Evie hands Luna to Max. Helen smiles widely as Luna reaches for her- sucking away at her Nuk Nu. Helen takes her and beams. "Hi baby!"

"Oh my gosh you guys are adorable. We need pictures!" Lauren says and smacks Iggy in the arm. "Take pictures Ig!"

"I'm going. I'm going." They stand close together as Iggy takes more pictures and when they're done, Helen and Max hold hands as Helen has Luna on her right hip.

"Soooo, honeymoon?" Reynolds says and Helen and Max look at each other.

"I have it all planned out- don't worry." Max says.

"Let's see the ring." Evie says and Max feels embarrassed, but Helen doesn't seem to care. She shows them the ring and Evie and Lauren kinda bite their tongues and smile, but it's Ella that speaks her mind.

"Max, did you make that?"

"Yes."

"That is fricking cute! Oh my gosh he's so sweet." Helen holds her hands out and looks at her twist tie ring and can't stop smiling. "Oh! I have cake in the conference room! Let's go."

They all follow Ella and Vijay out and Max and Helen are last out.  They walk the barely busy halls to the main conference room and once inside, Iggy hooks up his phone to the speaker and grabs the karaoke mic.

"If we could all welcome the lovely couple for their first dance." Helen laughs as she throws her head back and can barely contain how happy she is that they planned everything. She hands Lauren Luna and Max puts his hand out. The song that Iggy puts on is the same one they first danced to at the Gala- Callum Scott's You are the Reason. Taking his hand, he pulls her close and they dance as Reynolds dims the lights and sets up the colored disco light. Casey takes photos and Ella takes a video of their dance. Max holds Helen close and kisses her lips a few times.

"Thank you, Max. You've made me the happiest woman on the planet. You're so considerate and cute- I love you so much." She lays her head on his broad chest and feels so comforted right now.

"So, this was a good work day?"

"It's the best. You truly know how to surprise me. Even when I think I have you figured out, Max Goodwin- you always up your game."

"Well, that's because I love surprising you- Helen Goodwin."

"God I love that." They share another kiss and enjoy the rest of their dance peacefully.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

204K 7.6K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...
5.4K 78 7
After Max makes things right for the dying patients of New Amsterdam, he gets some interesting advice from a patient on exploring all avenues of life...
More By Almy Rose

Fanfiction

17.5K 441 30
"I'm glad we're friends." However, how does this night on the rooftop affect their lives after this point? Helen continues to struggle with Mina and...
10.3K 298 23
What could be worse than feeling a disconnect from the one person who makes you feel safe and happy? How about walking in on them making out with the...