Behind The Gate of Lakeview

By Rihanna_Adedeji

Jadeshola Badmus is not your regular female lead. She's outspoken, Brilliant, Sassy, beautiful, intelligent... More

Behind The Gate Of Lakeview
~one~
~Two~
~Three~
~Four~
~Five~
~Six~
~Seven~
~Eight~
~Nine~
~Ten~
~Eleven~
~Tweleve~
~Thirteen~
~Fourteen~
~Fourteen~ 2
~Fifteen~
~Sixteen~
~Seventeen~
~Eighteen~
~Nineteen~
~Twenty~
~Twenty One~
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
~Twenty Four~
~Twenty Five~
~Twenty Six~
~Twenty Seven~
~Twenty Eight~
~Twenty Nine~
~Thirty One~
~Thirty Two~
~Thirty Three~
~Thirty Four~
~Thirty Five~
~Thirty Six~
~Thirty Seven~
Meet The Characters 💖
~Thirty Eight~
~Thirty Nine~
~Forty~
~Forty One~
~Forty Two~
~Forty Three~
~Forty Four~
~Forty Five~
~Forty Six~
~Forty Seven~
~Forty Eight~
~Forty Nine~
~Fifty~
Fifty One
~Fifty Two~
~Fifty Three~
~Fifty Four~
~Fifty Five~
~Fifty Six~
Questions and Answers

~Thirty~

3.3K 732 208
By Rihanna_Adedeji

Dedicated to Aisha, my fellow Marlian😜♥️
~Jade~

'Uthman'

Hana stared at me for a minute longer than usual before she burst into laughter. She clutched her stomach, laughing hard.

'Oh come on Jade, telling me you like Caleb is more believable than you telling you like Uthman. What kind of ridiculous liking is that one?'

I smiled. I've always thought that it is ridiculous too, Hana saying it again confirmed it. I said nothing for a while, staring into space.

'Wait oo Jade, are you serious?'

'No'

She looked at me strangely before she lay on the bed.

'Goodnight Jade, dream of me till the loyal comes.'

I laughed.

'Well, dream of me too.'

After a while, Hana fell asleep but I was not even feeling sleepy. The time could as well be 2 pm. Why did I say Uthman's name? Could I seriously like him? Uthman? Of all people? We've gotten closer than before. I mean we now have conversations like normal before, we crack jokes together, we laugh together. We're pretty much like friends now, just like Akin but then, I don't feel the way I feel around Uthman when I'm with Akin. I for sure don't go flinching when Akin touches my hand, I don't tense up whenever Akin is around me, and for sure, Akin doesn't go around staring at my lips as Uthman does. I couldn't even count the number he has done that, in the library, by the pool, during our tutorial. And he told me I was pretty. Does Uthman like me?

Come on Jade, you're overthinking things. Why on earth will Uthman like me?

'But you want him to like you because you like him, is that not right?'

This stupid subconscious voice of mine. I'll murder it one of these days.

Of course, I don't like Uthman. Okay I know I don't dislike him as much as I used to but I don't like him, at least not like a girl likes a boy.

'But why do you crave for his presence? Why are you now so eager to talk with him?'

Just shut up, you ignorant subconscious mind.

*****

Hana and I got to school late the next day, we had gone to register for our Jamb. I picked the University of Ibadan like I've always wanted and I choose law. My dream is solidifying though I stop feeling down whenever I remember I won't have the badge of ECOWAS Oratory Contest attached to my name.

'Hey, how are you, girls?'

Akin asked us immediately after we got to school. It was lunch break and people were milling around. We joined Akin, he was going to the cafeteria.

'We're fine.'

'Did you miss us?'

Hana asked him as we entered the cafeteria.

'I sure did and I'm sure two other guys did.'

We both turned to look at him.

'I know Dan will miss me. I'm not sure we know the second guy you're talking about.'

Akin was staring at me.

'Well, I assumed there must at least a guy who will miss Jade.'

I hissed and we ordered our food. Hardly had we settled down then Uthman and Michelle entered the cafeteria. I watched them order their food. When they turned back, our eyes but he ignored me and they went to sit at the table far from us. I don't know why that makes me feel down. When I turned to look at my food, Akin was staring at me, a bemused expression on his face.

'What now?' I asked him.

'Did I say anything?'

'Your eyes said it all.'

I said and he just burst into laughter.

'What's so funny?' Hana asked him.

'Nothing oo, it's just that I've had this same conversation with someone before.' he replied, still looking at me. 'Same words, same expression. Who are you guys trying to fool? You guys are probably just lying to yourselves'

I turned to look at Hana who also turned to look at me. We both turned to look at Akin, bewildered.

'Akin, are you sure you're okay? Nobody here understands what you're talking about.' Hana said, touching his head to check his temperature.

'Trust me, Hana. Someone does.'

'Just shut up and eat.'

I said and he just burst into laughter. I eyed him scornfully. I had an idea what he was talking about. He and Uthman must have talked about me, about what is what I'm curious about. I dared another glance toward where Uthman sat down. He was looking at me. I swallowed and turned back to the food I'm supposed to be eating but that I suddenly did not have any appetite for eating now.

******

During Mathematics class, like always, less than half of the class were listening, half were doing something else, the others were dozing off. Akin and Uthman were exchanging letters in class. I wondered what they were talking about. Hana was painting her nails as usual. Our teacher was teaching us simultaneous equations and because I did not understand the topic, I was attentive but Akin and Uthman exchanging notes over my desk was beginning to distract me. Coupled with all the stupid noises in the background.

Then Akin attempted to pass a note to Uthman and it fell on my desk, I was about to pick it up but Uthman stood up from his chair and grabbed the note, he moved the chair by how hurriedly he stood up and it made a loud noise. He hurt his hands and he shouted ouch, albeit subconsciously. Mister Rahmon looked back at the noise and Akin burst into laughter, he put his hands over his mouth to stifle the sound. I kept a straight face.

'What's going on with you guys?'

He asked his attention on Uthman, Akin, and myself. He saw the note in Uthman's hands and he started walking towards him. One minute, the note was in Uthman's hands and the next minute, it was not. I don't even know how he did it.

'Where is the paper in your hands just now?' Mister Rahmon asked when he got to him.

'What paper sir?' He asked as innocently as he could.

'Come on, mister man, you know what I'm talking about.'

'No Sir.'

'Stand up'

He obeyed and Mister Rahmon searched his chair and body. He saw nothing. He walked back to the front of the class.

'So you guys are exchanging love letters in my class now, ehn? I pity your life. You guys don't just realize how enormous the tasks in front of you are. You're already started registering for Jamb, right? Waec starts in less than three months and you're exchanging love letters in my class. I pity you

I hissed underneath my breath. Love letters ko, love letters ni. He did not even get his facts right first and besides why the fuck were the two guys exchanging stupid letters in class.

He turned back to the board but before he could write anything, the timekeeper rang the bell and he left the class without a backward glance. Akin burst into laughter, not like he stopped laughing since.

'God, Uthman, the speed at which you took the note, what were you so afraid of?'

He said in between laughter. Uthman glared at him. I stood up.

'Well, the next time you guys want to exchange letters that I'm pretty sure is derogatory, don't pass them over my desk.'

Akin stood up, still trying to mask his laughter. He threw his arms around my shoulders. I looked up and glared at him but he was looking at Uthman.

'What's up with this public display of affections? The last time I checked, I'm not Bunmi.'

That got his attention and he looked at me.

'How did you know?'

I smiled.

'I have my ways'

I shrugged his hands off and walked out of the class. I'm curious to know the content of the notes they were exchanging. Why doesn't Uthman want me to read it? Was it about me?

'you overhype your importance.'

My subconscious whispered.

The pretty crazy subconscious mind.

********
~Uthman~

Akin stopped living in the hostel at the beginning of the second term and he has been spending a lot of time at our place because his parents are hardly ever home (the both of them are business moguls who are always traveling around the world) and he is an only child. I wondered why he stopped living in the hostel though but we know Akin and how unpredictable he is. He might even change his mind and go back to the hostel tomorrow.

He was in my house and we were both lying on my bed. We just finished watching War, an Indian film.

'I've always loved Hrithik Roshan and now I'm starting to like Tiger Shroff. Very good actors.'

I said and when he did not reply after a while, I looked up. He was staring at me intently and then, he burst into laughter.

'What's so funny?'

'Nothing oo, it's just that Jade said that same thing when we watched that film together though she added and very hot guys.'

'And so?'

He shrugged 'Just saying'

I picked up my phone and turned on my data. WhatsApp notified me of a message from Michelle.

Michelle 💖: Hey Boo
Hope you're good?

I did not open the message. I turned to Akin who was busily typing away on his phone.

'Is it Bunmi that you're chatting with? Or why are you so serious?'

'It's Jade'

He answered without turning to look at me. What on earth are they talking about that gat him serious like this?

'You know, you were right

I said after a while. He still did not look away from his phone's screen.

'About what?'

'About Jade. I do like her.'

'Of course you do.' then he sat up in a flash.
'You like Jade?' it was a question and he was staring at me intently. I nodded.

'Oh wow. I mean I've always been suspicious but you confirming it like this, it's kinda huge. Wow. Since when have you known?'

'It's been quite some time.'

'You've told her?'

'Nah'

'Well, what do I expect? It's not like Jade can or might like you back.'

I thought about it. I'll probably say that the probability that she likes me is 70%, maybe not the way I want but not like it used to be. If not, how do I explain the not-so-subtle checking out, the flinching and pulling away when we accidentally touch, the conversations, the near kiss? I secretly hope they weren't all in my imagination.

'Well, never say never.'

I answered him and he turned to look at me again.

'What do you mean?'

I shrugged.

'I mean, we've had moments that proved otherwise to me.'

He looked at me as if I've grown two heads.

'Moments as in? I don't get it. Please recap.'

'I'm not going into details.'

He burst into laughter.

'Do you realize this is one of my best friends that we're talking about?'

'Do you realize this is the girl I like that we're talking about?'

He burst into laughter again.

'oh wow. I'll make a comeback for this' He said, then added as an afterthought. 'Should I just tell Jade that you like her?'

'Won bí e data (They don't bear you well, literally)

He burst into laughter again.

'That deep? I won't allow you to hear the end of it. Trust me.'

'Why did I even tell you in the first place?'

'But then, I've had my suspicions but you confirming it now is something. Like really? Uthman Gbadamosi and Jadeshola Badmus? I should have known it was going to lead up to this since you guys even share the same surname."

I said nothing to answer that and I couldn't help a small smile that graced my lips as I thought of what this could mean and bring.

*********
The next day in class, Jade was absent and I kept glancing at the door during our second period when Akin threw a wrapped paper on my desk. I opened it.

'If it's HER that you're looking for, then don't worry, she went to register for Jamb, and please concentrate now, it's a book that they sent you to read in school, not like girls.'

I gave him my middle finger and he laughed.

During lunch break after I'd ordered my food with Michelle, I turned back to see Jade eating with Hana and Akin. I was about to walk towards them when Michelle pulled me back.

'There are lots of empty chairs today and we don't have to sit with the bitch.'

Yeah, right.

I followed her and we sat as far as possible from them. Akin looked at me and gave me a thumbs up. I glared at him and he laughed.

During Mathematics Class, Akin threw another letter on my desk. I glared at him before opening it.

'You've been staring at her since this class began. At this rate, you'll fail all your exams'

'Shut up and concentrate.'

I wrote back. Less than a minute after, he threw another paper.

'What did you mean by you guys had moments yesterday? Have you guys kissed?'

'Akin na. Just keep it down. Shey was ni e ni?'

'Wow, it's me that I'm mad? Don't worry, I'll just ask her.'

I glared at him before writing.

'Nah. Almost. Are you satisfied now?'

'What do you mean by almost? But then, I can remember how your hands tighten around the wheels when Dan spoke about her lips. Pretty sure you must have thinking about them since then.'

'I've been thinking about them way before then.'

When he attempted to throw it back. It landed on Jade's desk and before she could pick it up, I leaped up and picked it, shaking my desk and hurting myself in the process. She glared at me just as Akin burst into laughter and Mr. Rahmon turned back.

'What's the noise all about?' he asked and his gaze zeroed in on the paper in my hands. He started walking towards me.

Oh, shit. I imagine him reading the contents of the letter to the whole class. We were talking about someone's lips for crying loud sake. I imagine them calling my dad, sangha fo yen and I really can't allow Jade to know about the content of the letter. I stuck it under my desk with the chewing gum that was there before. The rate at which I did that surprised even me.

'Where is the paper in your hands just now?' Mister Rahmon asked when he got to me.

'What paper sir?' I answered as innocently as I could.

'Come on, mister man, you know what I'm talking about.'

'No Sir.'

'Stand up'

I obeyed and Mister Rahmon searched my chair and body. God, if he doesn't see anything, I'll dedicate the whole of my life to serving you. He saw nothing and I heaved a sigh. He walked back to the front of the class.

'So you guys are exchanging love letters in my class now, ehn? I pity your life. You guys don't just realize how enormous the tasks in front of you are. You're already started registering for Jamb, right? Waec starts in less than three months and you're exchanging love letters in my class. I pity you

If it was a love letter, it would have been a better self.

He turned back to the board but before he could write anything, the timekeeper rang the bell and he left the class without a backward glance. Akin burst into laughter.

'God! Uthman! The speed at which you took the letter. What were you so afraid of?'

I glared at him and he burst into laughter again. Jade stood up.

'Well, the next time you guys want to exchange letters that I'm pretty sure is derogatory, don't pass them over my desk.'

Akin stood up. He threw his arms around Jade's shoulders while looking at me and he pulled her closer than usual. I stared at places where their bodies were pressed together. He was looking at me and smiling.

'what's up with this public display of affections? The last time I checked, I'm not Bunmi.'

Jade said and that got his attention. He looked at her.

'How did you know?'

She flashed him a smile, that one that almost turn me into muddles.

'I have my ways.'

She shrugged his hands off and walked out of the class, Hana joining her. Dan came over.

'Please tell me it was Uthman writing love letters to Michelle. It's about time.'

Akin burst into laughter.

'Nah, it was me writing love letters to Uthman.'

He replied and I hissed.

'Just remember you're joking with Fourteen years.'

Dan replied and Akin burst into laughter again.

********

During the lunch break the next day which was a Wednesday. Michelle sat with her gang and Akin practically dragged me to where Hana and Jade were eating.

'Hey I greeted and only Hana answered. I glanced at Jade wondering what's wrong with her.

'So, Jade, are you following us to Lagos on Friday for the match?' Akin asked her

'hmm'

'You don't sound excited.' Akin added

'Because I'm not.'

'Why?'

'Because I don't understand why I have to travel to Lagos for a silly football match. I mean what will I go and do there? It's not like I'm the cheerleader or something.'

I pulled at my necktie feeling a little too suffocated.

Akin only laughed.

'It's not silly, it's some people's passion.'

'Well, I'm not some people. What's the point of football anyway? Useless sport.'

I leaned back on my chair, crossed my arms over my chest all the while looking at her.

'You don't downgrade something just because you don't like it.'

I said and she finally turned to look at me.

'I never downgraded it. I just said my opinion.'

'Well, your opinion sucks.'

She leaned back and folded her arms over her chest.

'I don't care if you think it sucks or not. The fact remains that I think football is useless.'

I said nothing for a while, trying to contain my anger. I just keep staring at her.

'You know what? You say the meanest things.'

I said, stood up, and walked out. What was I expecting? The bitch will always be the bitch. Why am I feeling more hurt than anger?

Fuck these feelings!

*******
~Jade~

I stared at his retreating back. Jade! You should learn how to zip up sometimes.

'That was mean.'

Akin said and I glanced at him.

'I know I play football for fun but we all know it means much more to Uthman than that. Belittling it like that must have hurt him.'

I swallowed.

'I think so too, you could have just said nothing.'

Hana whispered beside him.

Oh wow. I think I just really did overstep my boundaries. And to think we were already getting closer. I glanced at the cafeteria again and he was nowhere to be found.

The look he gave me before he left is threatening to break my heart.

Jade's fans, your fav did not know how to zip up at all. Now she has broken Uthman's heart with her words. Let's see how they resolve it in the next chapter.

The next chapter is going to be a collaboration with adesewa_x if you have not read her book, Echoes, then you should go and do that now so you'll understand better.

Till Friday lovelies. Do they care?

Remember to vote please and drop comments.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

298K 9K 33
CRINGE WARNING! First book I ever wrote on here!! -- "Sometimes the person who you are willing to take a bullet for is the person behind the gun." I...
732K 19.7K 72
Ever since Jaylen was younger, the only thing in his mind was basketball. Win championships throughout school, then, eventually, get drafted into the...
442 69 14
I sat in my bed looking around for what to do. I decided not to go to school today because I was hellbent on avoiding Justin after yesterday's event...
17.8K 4.5K 41
{COMPLETED} "This is the sequel to The Wrong Crowd." "I have not broken your heart - you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine."...