First name terms

By peachrte

Gilbert and Anne had known each other for years, but the redhead had never been able to forgive him for calli... More

1- Surname terms
2- Passive-agressive
3- F-R-I-E-N-D-S
4- Darkness
6- The field of colorful freedom
7- Encounters and future reunions
8- Family from different families
9-Talk to me
10- Denial
11- Bittersweet
12- Annie
13- Camouflage
14- Spinning
15- Quiet
16- Late sleepers
17- Melody of love
18- Quandary
19- Blindfold
20-Fists and fights
21- Go
22- Part 1: Hurt me twice
22- Part 2: Carrots and Slate-face
23- "She"
24- My Girl
25- Until we meet again
26- BA 5967
27- Stalker team
28- New member
29- Support
30- On the road
31- Unexpected declarations
32- No response
33- In a heartbeat
34- Open eyes
35- Your perfect
36- Like a song
37- RAIN
38- Endings
39- Operation Geronimo
40- First name terms
41- Caught
42- Recovery
43- Date ride
44- Anesthesia
Quick A/N and recap
45- Stories without ending

5- Sincerely, Blythe

758 19 50
By peachrte

The weeks passed, so it was getting colder in Avonlea and the leaves were slowly getting yellow. It was a Saturday evening, and the pair of bosom friends were laying on the red-headed girl's bed, Diana scrolling through her Instagram and showing her friend funny posts while Anne stared at the ceiling, thinking about what could happen in the story she was writing. Meanwhile, they listened to music. Anne turned up the volume when their hit song started playing. She picked up her hairbrush and gave Diana a playful look. Her friend immediately picked up a deodorant she found and started singing the song. They had gone to the cinema together that spring to watch The Greatest Showman and since then, they were obsessed with "Rewrite the Stars". Whenever they heard that song, they held a whole performance. They even knew the choreography; of course, they didn't have the rope, but none of them lacked imagination, so anything was possible.

-All I want is to flyyyy with you!- they both sang at the same time, putting their heart and soul into it- All I want is to faaaall with you! So just give me all of you...

They loved this part of the song, definitely their favorite. Anne was hanging from her curtain, pretending it was the rope. She stretched her arm to Diana, who had her hair tied into a bun and had a ribbon tied to her neck, pretending it was a bow from Phineas tuxedo. They felt like they were in the movie. Their dramatic expressions and the atmosphere looked ridiculous if a person saw it, but for them, it was just as it should be.

-How can we reeeewrite the stars?- they sang just before the curtain rail gave in and fell on the ground.

-OH MY GOD, ANNE- Diana shouted between laughs.

-I hadn't thought of that- she tried to hold her laughter inside.

-I can't believe I don't have that on camera.

-We HAVE to fix this before Marilla sees it- her sudden thoughts hit like a wall that stopped their laughter.

-Yeah, how?

-I don't know- she said desperately holding the rail above her head, to see if she could put it back on the wall- Diana, help me, please!

-What do you want me to do?

-I can't reach the place where it was... piggyback ride.

There they were, one on top of the other, music in the background, holding a broken curtain... that was when the door creaked as it was opened. "shit...dodon't let it be Marilla... PLEASE", Anne thought, not wanting to turn around.

-Hello ladies...- Gilbert held his laugh.

-Oh, I thought you were Marilla- she said in relief.

-Hi- Diana turned around with the other girl still on her shoulders.

-I have to ask... What on earth are you doing?

-We had an accident and we are trying to fix it.

-I see...- he said looking at the red-haired girl getting frustrated with the rail in her hand- Hey, Anne, not that you need anyone's help, but see that metal thing that looks like a giant nail? You have to take it out, then put the rail on and stick it back inside... not that I'm telling you what to do or anything- the girl smiled, not only because she fixed her mess, but because she noticed how much he knew her.

-What are you doing here anyway, Gilbert?- Diana asked, putting her friend down.

-I just brought something that Bash gave me to deliver to Marilla.

-Oh, that's great. Do you want to eat something?- the hostess offered.

-Sure.

-Yes, please.

-We can make some popcorn and watch a movie, what do you think?

-You know I love that idea- Diana smiled.

-Well, I'll leave you to it- Gilbert said, searching for his hoodie in the coat rack.

-Huu Blythe, you are not leaving. You came here, now you have to deal with us- Anne grabbed him by the arm and dragged him into the kitchen.

He smiled when he noticed she wanted him to stay. He had never wanted to leave, but the girls were having fun, and he didn't intend to interrupt and be a third wheel. Of course, they both wanted him with them, he just wasn't used to being their friends, despite sitting with them during lunch and hanging out with them repeatedly.

They were all in the kitchen; Anne was looking for the corn, Diana picked up some cups and Gilbert looked for beverages.

-Caramel or butter popcorn?- Anne asked.

-Butter, of course- Diana scoffed.

-Oh my god, Diana! You always pick butter, don't you get tired of them? Clearly, caramel popcorn is much more scrumptious.

-Well then, I guess Gilbert will have to decide- she turned her head to the boy that was placing the ice cubes on the table.

-Sorry Diana, I have to agree with Anne, caramel popcorn is the best creation in the world.

-Ha! See, Diana?- she said which made her friend throw a cold stare at the boy- You have a great taste, Blythe.

-Thank you, Shirley.

The three teenagers sat on the sofa: Anne on the left, Gilbert in the middle, and Diana on the right. They covered themselves with a fleece blanket, even though they weren't hot, it was just something that the bosom friends always did to set the mood whenever they did a movie night. Anne held the remote control in her hand and had been wandering through Netflix for half an hour.

-Ok, so we are not watching a TV show... What movie genre would you like to watch? Comedy...?

-No, we watched grown-ups 2 last time- Diana said.

-Drama?... Not happening, I'm too sensitive for that and I know tomorrow I will still be in the depths of despair because of the unfortunate event the main character will go through- she discarded her own idea.

-What about horror?- Gilbert suggested while drinking a sip of his coke.

-Oh, no way, Blythe.

-Come on, Anne, we've never watched a scary movie before- Diana begged almost on her knees.

-Well, there's a reason for that.

-What, are you scared, Shirley?- Gilbert asked with a smirk.

-No, I'm not- Anne said reluctantly, never showing her flaws, especially not her fear and to Gilbert Blythe.

-Then, prove it- the girl challenged her- Let's watch a horror movie.

-Fine- she said pressing on a random square.

Gilbert and Diana looked at each other with a satisfied look, proud of their job. Anne put the bowl of popcorn on the boy's lap (because he was the one sitting in the middle) and got closer to him, preparing herself to get scared. The name of the movie appeared on the screen and everyone was confused.

-"Eli"? What is this even about?- the boy took a handful of caramel popcorn to his mouth, frowning his eyebrows.

-I have no idea- the redhead answered.

-Is this a trick, Shirley?

-I promise, it's not.

-Is this even a horror movie? I mean, look, it is just a kid running happily in the grass- the other girl added. Suddenly the little boy on the screen started choking and turning red.

-Oh... there we go.

-What is happening?

-Is he dying?

-I'm completely lost here.

The movie continued. Every minute it got more terrifying and Anne couldn't handle the ghosts appearing on the screen. She covered her face with the blanket and scooched nearer Gilbert. He put his arm around her when the character started hearing things from his window. Suddenly a silhouette appeared on the screen and a loud noise was heard. Anne screamed in fear and pressed her face against his chest. Gilbert smiled at the girl's reaction.

-Tell me when it's over- the girl said in a muffled voice.

-Sure- he replied with a soft chuckle.

-The wardrobe is shaking?!- Diana said on the edge of her seat.

-What?!- Anne popped up from under the blanket but regretted it immediately when a loud noise came out of the tv.

The ending left all of them speechless, except for Anne, who wasn't able to watch half of it. She made both of them promise not to tell how scared she was throughout the whole movie. They reluctantly gave in but knew deep inside that they would tease her for this until the end of times. They cleaned everything up until someone knocked on the door.

-Guys. Someone is knocking.- Anne said with her eyes wide open.

-Then, open the door- Diana said while she folded the blanket.

-Ohh not a chance I am doing that... who knows who is behind the door? Or... what is behind the door. What if it is a dead man that came back to life... or a possessed nun... or the devil itself standing on my porch...

-I'll take it- Gilbert opened the door and Anne stood behind him, looking from behind his shoulder.

-Hey Mom!- Diana greeted from the table.

-Hello Mrs. Barry.

-Good to see you- both teenagers said.

-Why, hello, how did your night go?

-It was... funny- Gilbert smirked, looking at Anne, remembering her repeated screams. She noticed him and stared back at him with her eyes wide open.

-I'm glad to hear that... Are you ready Diana?

The guest hugged Gilbert goodbye and then approached her friend. "Turns out the devil was really standing in your porch" she whispered jokingly to her ear as she hugged her, to which the red-haired girl giggled. She thanked her for the lovely evening and then left with her mother.

-Sooo...- the boy said with his hands inside his pockets- do you think you'll be able to sleep today?

-Ha, I doubt it- she scoffed, sitting down on the kitchen's counter, and the boy repeated the action.

-I didn't know you were so scared of horror movies.

-I have an outrageously big imagination, Blythe, I can see things when they are not there. See your hoodie hanging on the coat rack? Well, if you turn off the lights, in my head that turns into a serial killer holding a baseball bat, who knew my parents and had a problem with them and now is furious and plans to kill me to have his revenge, even though they are already dead- she rambled.

-Woah, I guess you will sleep with your lights on tonight, then.

-Definitely- she chuckled, which made him smile.

-Jane Eyre... interesting...- he said holding a green book he had found on the table.

-It's my favorite book. It is so inspiring and moving... It gives me hope, you know? Her life started like mine, orphanage, cruel family, and suffering, but despite all this, she finds love and has a lovely child; I believe that I can have a happy ending, like her, since our lives started the same way. Have you read it?- she explained her affection for the book, and the boy heard every word with all of his attention, furrowing his eyebrows.

-I have, actually. It was my mother's favorite book, so last summer I proposed to myself to read it, to have her present even though she's not here, and I did- he said with a small smile as he softly caressed it with his thumb.

-Hey, Gilbert...- she said softly and he felt his heart warm as he heard her say his name with such grace-... what... what happened to your mother?- she asked and he sighed- It's okay if you don't want to answer, it is very personal and a very sensitive subject, so don't worry. I just thought maybe you...

-It's okay, Anne- he interrupted her and she sighed in relief, knowing she hadn't upset him- I was a breech baby, and there were some complications because of that, so she died while giving birth to me- he looked down to his feet as he moved them.

-I'm so sorry...

-Sometimes... I um, start overthinking, especially at night when I'm by myself... and I wonder what their lives would have been if I hadn't been born. Maybe my father would have survived because she would've taken better care of him than I did. Maybe my whole family would be together and alive now- he looked away trying to hold his tears back.

-Hey, Gilbert, stop. Don't ever let that thought cross your mind ever again. Your father fell in sick and there was nothing that could have been done. You were there with him the whole time, you were with him during your whole life and then made sure he felt loved when he left. He wouldn't have traded you for anything in his life, and I am sure about it because I wouldn't either- she said that last sentence and he looked at her, holding back his tears. His hurting hazel eyes looked right into hers. A very small smile appeared on his face as he looked at her. She always knows what to say to make me feel better is what he thought.

They both stayed silent for some seconds, looking at each other until Anne wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly. He pressed her tightly against him, with a single tear streaming down his face. They wanted to stop time at that exact moment. They both felt safe in each other's arms, they felt complete. Eventually, they let go and continued looking into each other's eyes.

-Anyway...- she said slowly.

-Anyway...- he repeated softly-...Do you want to watch something on Netflix? You know, to forget about the movie we watched.

-Please- she said dramatically, thinking about her sleepless night.

-So, what do you want to watch?- He said as they let themselves fall onto the couch.

-Ruby recommended to me this TV show called When Calls The Heart... I don't really know what it is about, but she said I'd like it.

-Great, we can watch that.

-It will probably be REALLY cheesy... I mean, you know Ruby- she said and they both smiled.

-The name gives it away- they both chuckled- Episode 1, season 1- he announced as he pressed play.

They commented throughout the whole season. Time flew away like feathers in the wind, and both of them changed their positions on the sofa. While they watched the show, Anne taught the boy how to braid hair.

-You have to know how to braid hair. Imagine if, when you are married, your wife goes on a trip, you are left with your daughter and you have to get her ready for school, then you will have to braid her hair. It's a great time to learn, you know?

-Fine, teach me- he gave in and looked carefully at the girl's fingers moving her hair.

Season two started and he was braiding her hair, but they changed positions because the girl's back started hurting. First, they were both sitting down properly, then Anne laid her back against the sofa as she sat on the floor and, finally, she laid her head on Gilbert's legs. He still held three strands of her hair and moved them repeatedly, trying to form a nice hairstyle. During half of the season, he kept trying without succeeding. Anne felt completely relaxed as he touched her hair. As the TV showed different images, her eyelids got heavier, until she drifted away to her sleep.

-I did it! Look!- the boy put her hair in front of her eyes, to show her his masterpiece. However, she didn't react- Anne?

That was the moment when he heard the light snores she was letting out. He smiled at the sound and turned off the TV. Then he picked her up bridal style and took her to her room as quietly as he could, so as not to wake the Cuthberts or her up. Luckily, Jerry, who slept in the room next to hers, was at a party, so he didn't have to worry about him. He put her down on her bed and turned on her string lights. He pulled the covers up to her shoulders and kneeled down next to her. He noticed a strand of hair had fallen on her face, and he put it behind her ear. His hand brushed her face softly as he did this. He saw her pale skin full of freckles that looked just like the night sky, her red hair that was as gloriously soft as it looked, her long eyelashes, her button nose... everything. She looked completely stunning, even in her sleep. "No. Gilbert. Focus. She is your friend. Sure she is beautiful, but don't cross the line, alright? Don't think of her as another thing... you are just friendly appreciating her beauty" he said to himself, "Okay, I can stop staring now... right?... It would be great to be able to stop"; he couldn't look away, it was like he was hypnotized by her. After some inner fight against himself, he was able to go downstairs to get her phone and leave it on her nightstand, connected to the charger; of course, he did something with it before leaving it there... it was a small surprise.

He went downstairs and wrote a little note before leaving.

Dear Shirley,

Thank you for that very enjoyed time yesterday. I left you a small surprise on your phone if you haven't noticed yet. I left the string lights on just in case you woke up in the middle of the night. See you soon, carrots.

Sincerely, Blythe

A/N: Hi! For anyone reading this, I'm sorry I take so long to update. I have so many things to do for school and so many online classes to attend to that I don't have enough time. Actually, when I published the first two chapters I had already written five, but first I wanted to make some changes and I haven't had enough time until now. I have chapter 6 ready (it is XL btw), but I want to write number 7 before publishing the other one, just in case I am not able to write for a very long time and I want to update. Tomorrow is Saturday and I'm not supposed to have to do anything for school, so I guess I'll upload it tomorrow. Anyway...(wink)... Thank you for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked it, and I'm sorry for the long A/N.

Random shower thought: There should be an Anne Of Green Gables musical, don't you agree?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.6K 658 26
"i'll write to you" was the last thing she remembers him saying to her on the day that her whole world was flipped upside down. her world was finall...
16K 375 15
Anne Shirley Cuthbert has always felt a certain way for Gilbert Blythe. But what will happen to this feeling when they start getting closer outside o...
49K 762 25
~Sequel to Shrek 2: Happily 'N'Ever After [Book 2]~ Uncle Connor: Now remember: No nagging, bragging, sweating, fretting, slipping, tripping, slurpin...
161K 2.4K 176
Anne with an e instagram how anne survives a big trial with her friends and Gilbert set in modern time will not update on saturday or sunday none of...