Shadows

Від AngelofThorns

Abused, Neglected, Hated, Unwanted... Alone... These are the words that Victoria Cruz chooses to describe her... Більше

Shadows
Punishment
London
Suicide or Escape?
Prison or Safe Haven?
Meet the family
Rules
Exploration
Revelations
Friend or Foe?
Offers and declarations
Questions and Answers
Trip
Home
Family and Truth
Departure
The Istrati household - my new home
An invitation
I believe you're familiar with the waltz?
Lost
Smothered
Dance
The ball
Thirst
Awakening
Speculation
Guildford
Truth
Date
Prophecy
Departure
Keys and locks
Meeting the King
Twins
Jewels
Training
Surprise
Confrontation
Gift or Curse?
Hunters
Explanation
A little help
Protection
A New Path
Reunion
Let the Games Begin
The Long journey
Plans and Allies
Time to Fight
Blood and War
The End or the Beginning

Meetings

494 11 0
Від AngelofThorns

 I stayed in bed for the following days, being fluttered about with and told off by Anna who said I needed to keep my strength up as she saw I wasted more of the food she brought up, which I have to admit made me smile a little… this was all too surreal… too friendly… too homey. Deciding that enough was enough I got out of bed and wandered into the bathroom, its cold floors making me shiver, cursing them all for not having central heating installed. As the water filled up the tub I ran back into my room and picked out a bunch of random clothes: Black vest top, grey hoodie, skinny jeans and a pair of mismatched socks, before darting back to check on the tub which was more than halfway filled.

  Turning the water off I stripped myself of my dirtied and over worn clothes, threw them in the washing basket, grabbed a razor and stepped into the hot yet very much welcomed water. I sighed with contentment as my body was engulfed by the hot and steamy aqua that cleaned and purified my aching bones and body. After shaving the more intimate parts of myself I allowed myself to sink down into the water, playing my usual game of holding my breath til I was on the verge of drowning… it was a good way of calming myself, or at least I thought anyway… it made me think on things more clearly. As I thought I could not help but think about Serena… the conversation with Dante had brought up painful and unwanted memories that until now I had chosen to bury and hide in the furthest corner of my mind, it delved into a time when all I had done was say that I was not going to let her copy my work in maths… she waited until the teacher had left the class before she got Gemma to cover my mouth and stabbed a compass into my arm a few times… whispering that she needed the answers and if I squealed, the compass was going to hit somewhere where it would really hurt.

  Feeling hands jerk me from my thoughts and out of the water I screamed,  not sure what the hell had just happened, but as I looked around I saw none other than Dante panting and panicking in the corner of the room. Quickly my hands reached around my more intimate parts

“Get out!” I screamed, he didn’t need telling twice… he was gone. Feeling a little more than flushed and intruded on I pulled the plug , jumped out, pulled my underwear on and grabbed one of the many bath robes that hung on the back of the door before darting on out after him, he stood in the centre of my room, hands over his face as embarrassment washed over him “What the hell did you think you’re doing!”

“I thought you were drowning ok!?” he didn’t look at me but began swearing into his hands

“Look I am not one of the many whores you shag, I prefer privacy… if I don’t answer the door that means I’m either busy or asleep” he spun around

“After what you told me the other day I think I have a right to seem a little concerned” his chest was rising and falling in an uneven manner, why the hell was he mad for this time?

“No you don’t actually, you have no claim over me whatsoever, you don’t get the right to worry about me” in the blink of an eye he was right in front of me, forehead pressed to mine, sending a wave of fresh bumps along my soaked skin. His eyes wandered all over my face, searching, wondering, wanting… and much more. My heart began to leap and I prayed it to stop, I didn’t want him to hear, evidently he must have because of the smile that was now spreading along his lips.

“I do have claim over you though… don’t I?” I started to frown but it soon disappeared as I stared in those Jade like eyes that caught me… overpowered… dominated even. I pushed away from him, not wanting him to have that power, that control and feeling a little more than embarrassed I ran straight back into the bathroom where I slammed the door and sunk against it. Closing my eyes I slammed the back of my head against the door out of pure frustration, I would not let him get to me… to pity me like that… but was it pity? Or just pure concern? Shaking my head I wandered over to my clothes, dropped the robe and began to get changed.

“Vicki?” Dante was outside the door… why didn’t he just go!?

“What?” I sighed

“I’m… I’m sorry” I stopped dead in my tracks, was this rich, snobby jackass actually apologising?

“Don’t worry” I finally mustered, I heard him sigh

“I.. I did get worried though… after you said that you’d attempted drowning before... I… well I panicked”

“Why?” he didn’t answer “Why?” I repeated, attempting to stern my voice

“You… You wouldn’t understand” throwing the rest of my clothes on and tying my hair up into a bun I walked out of the bathroom to find he had gone… disappeared once more without a trace.

   Hours went by and as usual, I stayed in my room. I watched from my window as two of the Istrati brothers played football in the grounds, chuckling as I saw Dimitri the eldest complain to Darius that he ‘totally missed the goal’ when in fact it was a clean kick. They stared at me a few times, worried yet friendly expressions on their faces but I just smiled and waved at them to continue which thankfully… they did. Shrugging my shoulders and stretching upwards I thought it best that I go stretch my legs, maybe even go for a wander I the grounds, if the boys were out there… then I wasn’t really unattended now was I? Leaving my room however I came face to face with one of the people I was hoping to actually avoid… Candice.

“Sorry” I muttered as I almost walked smack bang into her

“Watch your step pet” she spat at me, taking me a little off guard

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me well and clear human scum” I sighed, rolled my eyes and attempted to walk past when a marble white arm blocked my path

“I don’t think so” I swallowed the lump in my throat “You’re not going anywhere until you tell me where Dante is”

“Does it look like I keep tabs on him” she cracked a squeaky high pitched laugh

“Well he seems to wander into your room more than anyone else’s” I snorted a mocking laugh and pushed the arm aside “He will kill you” I stopped dead in my tracks and spun around, she had her arms crossed and a devilish smirk planted on her face

“What?”

“Dante, he will kill you eventually… no vampire can house a human without eventually draining them dry” I didn’t bother to reply, instead I turned back around, held my head up high and attempted to hold the many tears back that stung my eyes… was there any need for that? It’s not as though I didn’t already know this, it’s not as though I didn’t know that all of this was probably one big damn charade designed to lure prey in before the big kill… but was there any need to take away the tiniest shred of happiness that I had left?

  Once downstairs I was about to head straight out to the grounds when I heard Anna call me into one of the studies, she sounded almost urgent as she spoke so I knew that I mustn’t argue or debate.

“Sit down child” she gestured to one of the many chairs that lay opposite her desk

“Have I done something wrong?” I asked her, my voice more shaky than it needed to be

“No, don’t worry… but Dante informed me of your past” I bit me lip, holding back the many curses that were spinning around in my head “Don’t be angry at him… he worries”

“Why would he worry about a human?” she laughed at my question

“Has anyone of this family told you about our history?” I shook my head “Very well my dear, I shall explain… but first, could you close the door… I do not wish to have uninvited ears eavesdropping” I quickly rose from my seat and over to the door, as I looked outside I noticed Candice strutting down the stairs in a pompous manner and I instantly understood. So quickly as the door as shut I returned to my seat but only to have Anna beckon me to follow her to the furthest corner of the room where a sofa was placed under the window

“Ok so what’s the deal?”

“Well first things first, you’re familiar with the term ‘searching for one’s soul mate’ correct?” I nodded “Well in vampires it is called finding a mate, it’s not as barbaric and sadistic as it sounds I assure you… but with the dark beings, every emotion and sense is heightened to the extreme… so that’s why we go so crazy at the mere sight of blood… but anyway, with emotions heightened we need to be sure we have found the right one…” I nodded once more “A perfect example would be that if the Vampire had a high title and was very wealthy then the perfect ‘mate’ would not care if he were rich or in power… all she or would want was respect”

“It’s as simple as that?” I asked, raising a brow in confusion

“Yes, but that’s when things get tricky. For you see if the mate is human… well you can understand how difficult that is for us”

“Why though?”

“You’re seen as food, that’s all that most of them will ever see you as”

“Oh” she smiled weakly at me, as if that was reassuring

“Now in our family, such a thing has happened” I stared at her with wide eyes “Child, Armand was born a noble Vampire… I on the other hand was born a human” she beamed at me “When I first met him, he was cold, callous, mean… a brute really… but the more I got to know him, the more I understood why he was like that… and over time, I changed him… he became the kind and noble man you see today”

“How old are all of  you?”

“Armand is 1,100 years old but his body suggest no older than 47 years old, I am 975 years old but my body suggest something of 35… Dimitri is 305 years old but his body suggests he is 25, Darius is 298 but his body says the same as Dimitri and my youngest Dante is 276 years old and his body shows something of about 20 years old” my eyes widened as I heard how old all of them actually were… it was remarkable to know that vampirism could make you live that long! “Oh I almost forgot, Seth is the same age as Dante… they have been friends since birth”

“What about Candice?” she rolled her eyes and sighed

“She is roughly 251 years old” I nodded “I don’t understand why my son fraternises with her”

“ How did everyone take it though… I mean surely Armand’s Parents objected?”

“Surprisingly no… his mother has the ability to foresee things in the nearby future… guesse she saw me coming, but no one except his family, the royals, my sons and Seth know of my background… it must remain that way”

“That’s no problem… but why? And how come the royals weren’t outraged?”

“Because they have the same dilemma in their family, some of their sons… married human girls before turning them and no human even if turned can enter the court...which I have been to but they only made that rule so that no one would suspect… but Armand and his family being such good friends… well you get the drift”

“Must be tough”

“It is my dear it is, and it seems that my sons do not wish me to know about their current affairs” she chuckled

“Affairs?”

“Yes, Dimitri turned the one Servant Willow and has had countless affairs with both Vampires, Dhampirs and Humans alike… “

“I thought he was the sensible and smart one?” once more she laughed

“Oh he is… to outsiders, but he is quite the ladies’ man…” that took me by surprise… I thought Dante had that label

“I thought…”

“That Dante was much the same? He seems to act that way over the last few years… but he never used to be… he used to be so kind, so gentle… until he got involved with that wench” I gasped “Pardon me my dear but I cannot help but disapprove” a smile spread across her face that I instantly recognised, it was one that Dante wore on so many occasions “But don’t tell HER that for heaven’s sake, she’s poisoned my sons mind quite enough”

“I think he admires you too much to even think about turning against you” she smiled gently and leaned close to my ear

“I think the same could be said for you” she pulled back sharply “Now, I know you’re itching to go for a walk… go outside, but do not leave the grounds” I stood up, a little dazed and confused before turning my attention to heading outside… he admired… me? What on earth for?

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

129 2 23
**Sequel to The Broken Wolf** Kayla's peaceful, solitary existence crumbles when a sudden attack thrusts her into a world of supernatural chaos. Vamp...
17.1K 454 19
| A servant of Hell and a Werewolf together sounds like the perfect love story. | <>•<>•<>• "Cute and cuddly is not my forte." "Same goes here, Dem...
12.8K 1.2K 34
Darkness lurks beneath the surface of society, something that has been growing and devouring the innocent for decades. Luna Aurion stumbles on a huma...
412K 23.8K 103
She is a inexpressible beauty. Beauty the word is for her. A bright smile, beautiful blue eyes, shiny blonde hair, cute gesture made her an unavoidab...