A Winter at Hogwarts

By NuclearNugget94

Vince nears his final days at Hogwarts, and a wave of sadness sweeps over him as he remembers all of his adve... More

Diagon Alley
Jazz
Journey with Zane and Jazz
The Feast
A New Owl
An Old Friend
A Familiar Object
Return of the Yule Ball
Where Things Went Wrong
Fixing The Problem
Former Glory
The Patronus and Goodbye
Epilogue
Inspiration for the story
Acknowledgements
Playlist

Quidditch Trouble

21 0 0
By NuclearNugget94

The final day of the N.E.W.T. exams finally came to an end, and I sat back in my chair. From the great hall, I could see the Quidditch pitch waiting to be played at. I recall winning my first Quidditch match during my third year, and it all started when Harpiere came zooming into the Great Hall with a very unusually large package.

I had to catch the large package myself because I was eating breakfast and didn't want it to splatter orange juice all over the table.

"Okay, that's obviously a broom." Said Karley.

"Wait...What's today?" I asked out loud.

"September 11th." Said Winter with a gasp. "I almost forgot! Happy birthday, Vince. I have something for you in my dormitory. I'm not going to tell you what it is though."

"Happy birthday, Vince." Said Karley.

Jazz made her way over, and I had to give her a hug. "Happy birthday, Jazz." I said, and we embraced in a hug.

"I like having a buddy who shares my birthday. What's this?" replied Jazz, looking at the broomstick on the table.

"I don't know. Did you get to open anything yet?"

Jazz frowned slightly. "Not yet. I'm sure someone will send something for me though."

I offered Jazz one end of the broomstick and we opened it together. Underneath the paper was one of the most beautiful broomsticks I had ever seen. It was the one I was looking at in Diagon Alley when I went for the first time, the Blaze.

"Now you really are little blaze." said Jazz.

"It's just as fast as the firebolt. Those two brooms could put up a fight matching each other. I sent an owl to your parents, Vince, that you made the Quidditch position as seeker," Said Professor Hammen from behind me. I turned and faced her. "I also knew your birthday was around the corner, so...my plan worked. Your parents may have gotten you the broomstick, because I knew they would."

With every word she spoke it was as if a balloon had inflated inside of me, and I felt as though I could float. I had no choice but to hug her tight and thank her over and over.

"Easy, there, Vince. Save it for the game. Oh, and, Jazz. I sent an owl to your parents too. You made beater." Professor Hammen lowered her voice to a near whisper. "If they don't get you a broom, I will."

Jazz' eyes went big with excitement and she started jumping up and down with joy. She went back over to her seat at the Slytherin table and I sat down admiring my new broom. I was so excited, that I didn't even notice that my mom had sent me a letter and a few galleons as well. Since it was a special occasion, I even let Harpiere feast on a whole cinnamon roll with two pieces of bacon. Later in the day after classes ended, Winter lead me to the common room and she told me to wait on the sofa.

When she came back, she had a gift that was neatly wrapped in parchment and string. I opened it to find my very own copy of Quidditch Through The Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp. "Winter...I don't know what to say...I mean thank you." I said, smiling.

"You really like it?" She asked.

"I really do." I replied, and it was the truth. Usually, I wasn't a fan of getting educational books, but because I had taken an interest in Quidditch, I was genuinly happy. I gave her a hug and opened it to the reviews. It had a positive review from Gilderoy Lockhart.

"Didn't he go mad, or lose his memory?" I asked.

"I think he tried a memory spell with a broken wand and it backfired, so he's in St. Mungos." Replied Karley.

Winter smiled once again and we took a seat on the big yellow sofa, reading about what Quidditch used to be, and how it used to be played.

The first game of the season couldn't come soon enough. Jazz' mom couldn't afford a broom, but she did send her some money for Hogsmeade to get whatever she wanted there. We all celebrated that weekend by going to Honeydukes, and Jazz got a big surprise from Professor Hammen.

Jazz, Winter, Jamie, Zane, Karley and I were sitting in the coffee shop when Professor Hammen walked in with a large gift wrapped in paper and string. It was obviously a broom, again, but we didn't know what kind of broom it was. She excitedly opened up another blaze, and we both looked at each other. We knew we were good friends, but as far as Quidditch, we both knew that the competition was going to be tough with two new brooms on the field.

When the first Quidditch game rolled around, Jazz and I put up a fight as far as broom speed. However, Jamie didn't stand a chance against my Blaze when she went after the Golden Snitch.

"Who's faster now?" I said as I flew quickly past her.

Winter was on the bleachers cheering us all on, chanting with the rest of our house, "GO! GO! HUFFLEPUFF!"

The Snitch flew out of sight, as I caught Winters eye. Jamie lost it too. We both flew high into the air so quickly, and I wasn't used to this brooms speed, that I almost fell off. I had to grip my broom tightly as it nearly spun out of control. "Woah." I muttered, "You're a fast broom."

Diving for the Snitch again as it flew past me, I cursed under my breath. I hated it when the Snitch flew right in front of me long enough for me to notice it, but before I could grab it, it flew out of my reach.

"Go, Vince! Get it!" Yelled Winter. It was just a few inches away from my hand, and I reached out to grab it with one hand, holding onto my broom with the other.

What happened next happened in just one second. Right at the same time the Snitch was just about in my grip, I noticed a bludger moving towards me. I had to move fast, or I would lose the Snitch again.

I did a move I learned in Quidditch through the ages, called the sloth grip roll, hanging upside down for half a second, and caught the snitch. While I was upside down, the bludger moved right above me, barely missing my broom...and my head. I needed one more hand, so I did the first thing that came to my mind: I shoved the snitch in my mouth and grabbed my broom with both hands. Regaining my balance, I flew back into the Quidditch pitch, taking the snitch out of my mouth and holding it high above my head.

"Vince has caught the Snitch!" Yelled the announcer into the microphone. "Hufflepuff wins!"

There was a wave of applause from the Hufflepuff stands. Jamie wasn't too happy, because as Hufflepuff house cheered, she flew down back into the stands and out of sight. Jazz, however, was a good sport. She flew right up to me, took my hand that wasn't holding the Snitch and held it up in the air.

"Good job, little blaze." Said Jazz, high fiving me.

I looked down at Winter, who was smiling up at me, and still chanting with the rest of our house. "GO! GO! HUFFLEPUFF!"

* * *

"I had never seen you so happy." Said Winter, as I recalled the memory to her. The exams were finally over, and there were just three weeks left at Hogwarts. Winter and I had made our way to the top of the Astronomy Tower just to enjoy the view. Just beyond the Quidditch pitch was the best part about Hogwarts: a massive waterfall that came from the top of a large hill.

"Yeah," I said, sort of glum, "too bad there's only three weeks left here."

"Don't get too upset." Winter replied, gently nudging me. "We're going to Hogsmeade today, and one more game of Quidditch before we actually start packing."

Even though a small smile crept onto my face, I still felt sad. Hogwarts had been my home for the past seven years, and I was just getting used to the corridors and changing staircases.

The bell rang signifying that it was 3:00. Winter and I made our way down the long staircase and out the courtyard. We were behind everyone, because we were already out of breath from climbing down all the stairs. "Did anyone ever hear of an elevator?" I said, panting.

Winter gave a half-hearted chuckle and we walked hand in hand down to the village of Hogsmeade. Our first stop was Honeydukes. We each grabbed a chocolate frog and a box of Bertie Botts every flavor beans, along with two enormous lollipops. While we both munched on chocolate frogs, in the Three Broomsticks, Winter read her cards. I ended up giving my cards to her, because Jazz was no longer around to snag them. Not that I had a problem with it. I wasn't really a fan of collecting cards. She did end up getting our house founder, Helga Hufflepuff.

We ordered a couple of butterbeers and we ordered a shepherd's pie dish. I knew I was going to really miss the food there. The day ended too soon. Some people were staring as Winter and I walked holding hands back up to the castle, but I didn't care, and neither did she.

Every night for the next week, we kept sitting in front of the fireplace on the big yellow sofa, just talking about the day and the classes. There was one class left from Professor Lupin that we had to take, and he said it was important, so on our last day, me, Winter, Zane, Karley and Jamie made our way to the D.A.D.A. classroom and stood in a line. At the front of the room was a large chest that held something that shook.

"Now...this final spell I'm going to teach you is called the patronus charm." Said Professor Lupin as he walked down the stairs into the classroom. "You all have heard of dementors, and you know that they guard the wizard prison, Azkaban. The patronus works like a shield between you and the dementor. In order for it to work, you need to think of a memory. It's got to be a very happy memory, and a very powerful memory. I need all of you to close your eyes, explore your past, and think of the happiest thing you can. Allow that memory to fill you up."

I closed my eyes and searched my memory for a good one, and the one that stood out was the night Winter kissed me after the Yule Ball in the common room. I let it fill me up for about a minute and kept my concentration on that one memory as I opened my eyes.

"Vince seems to have one. Would you like to try?" Professor Lupin asked me.

"I'll give it a go." I said.

I stepped forward and Professor Lupin unlocked the chest. "This is just a boggart...it can't hurt you. However, if you remember, it's close to the real thing." He said, and I nodded, remembering what happened with Jazz during her fourth year. "When it's time, the incantation is Expecto Patronum."

I raised my wand, ready to face the dementor. Professor Lupin opened the crate and the dementor erupted from it, and I felt the wave of cold rush over me. Everyone else in the class shuddered, and I couldn't keep my focus. Trying to focus on the memory, I said as clear as I could "Expecto Patronum!"

It didn't work. A silver wisp of white came out, but it wasn't enough to hold the dementor back. I started to feel light headed, and the room started spinning. The cold reached its way into my chest and it was too much.

The next thing I knew I was being gently slapped in the face. "Sit up. You're alright. Here. Eat this. You'll feel better." Said Professor Lupin, handing me a small triangle of chocolate.

I took it and ate. Immediately, I felt warmer and the effects of the dementor were wearing off. "Sorry, Professor." I said.

"Oh, don't worry. You're not the only one." Professor Lupin helped me to my feet. "If I may ask, Vince, what memory did you choose?"

I looked at Winter, blushing, then gestured for him to come closer. When he did, I whispered in his ear, "I was thinking of the night Winter kissed me after the Yule Ball."

He looked at me with a look of slight disapproval. "I'm sorry, but that's not good enough, Vince. Not nearly good enough at all. It's alright, though. You almost had it. I saw the little bit of light that came out of your wand. Try to search your past again. Would anyone else like to try?" Winter raised her hand, and she stepped forward. "Alright, Winter. Concentrate on your memory, 3...2...1..."

Lupin opened the crate and the dementor once more erupted out of it. I felt the cold once again, and I nearly fainted again, but Winter was focused on her memory. She had her eyes shut tight and she seemed to be struggling, but she was trying her hardest. Winter opened her eyes and said very clearly "Expecto Patronum!"

The light was almost blinding, but I could clearly see a white Otter. Winters' patronus sent the dementor straight back into the crate and we all clapped for her. She blushed brightly, looking down.

"Well done, Winter. You may step down now." Said Professor Lupin.

Winter stepped down, and stood next to me, almost behind me, still blushing. Everyone else including Zane, Jamie, and Karley produced a patronus successfully. I was starting to feel depressed, but Professor Lupin was understanding about it.

"It's alright, Vince. That is very advanced magic far beyond the wizarding level. I did not expect everyone to do it successfully." He told me after class ended.

I gave a half-hearted smile and I made my way to the Hufflepuff common room. I tapped on the barrel 5 times in the right rhythm and stepped inside. The common room was empty, until about ten minutes when Winter entered. She sat next to me as she always did and we both just stared into the fire.

"Do you want to go and visit Hagrid?" She asked me.

"No, thanks." I said.

"Do you wanna go fly around the Quidditch pitch? There's one more game tomorrow. This time you'll be facing Ravenclaw...Zane's team."

"I know." I replied, still staring into the fire.

"Are you alright?" Winter took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I'll be alright. I just...I'm disappointed in myself." I said. "I couldn't produce a patronus."

"Not everyone can." Winter said.

"I know...I just...I really wanted to."

Winter gave my hand a squeeze again. "Are you sure you don't want to go and see Hagrid?"

I was about to accept the offer, but there was a sudden flash of light from outside. A clap of thunder echoed through the common room and I cringed putting my hood up over my head. "I'm okay." I replied.

Winter gently laid my head down in her lap and wrapped her arms around me. "I wish they really were fireworks." I said.

"I hope you don't have to play in these conditions." Winter said as another flash of light lit up the common room. I held my ears, but it didn't do much good. "Calm down, Vince."

The storm went on all through the night, and I had trouble sleeping, so did Winter. We ate in the great hall, and the ceiling matched the sky outside, but it wasn't raining down on us. I couldn't focus on food, because the storm was making me nervous.

I did, however have a helping of pumpkin cake with peanut butter icing. Winter wiped a bit of icing off my face, and I calmed down some. When it was time to go back to our dormitories, we stayed in the common room and fell asleep on the couch, with my head in Winters lap and her head resting on her hand. We kept getting woken up occasionally by the lightning and thunder, but the pitter patter of rain on the windows didn't bother us. Rain never really bothered me. It was just the sound of thunder.

We were woken the next morning by Karley who said that the Quidditch match was in an hour. I got my protective gear, a set of goggles for the rain, and before I could make my way to the Quidditch pitch, Winter pecked my lips and wished me luck.

The game actually distracted me from the storm, but I was a bit nervous to get too close to any of the six large metal hoops. It was harder to see the Snitch because there was no sun that it could glint off of.

"You okay, dude?" Called Zane.

"Yeah!" I hollered back, "Just don't like storms, you know?"

"Remember...fireworks!" He hollered before heading off to find the Snitch. I decided to climb higher to see if I could see anything else besides our teams moving.

Once I was high enough, I noticed a familiar wave of cold sweep over me. The droplets on my broom were no longer droplets, but ice, and the rain had turned to snow. It was too cold, and I knew what was happening when I thought I wasn't going to be happy. The fact that I didn't have my wand made it worse.

I looked to my left, and I saw it. The dementor was hovering towards me, and I had to move. The cold in my chest was increasing, and I was way too high to try not fainting. Diving down into the Quidditch pitch, I tried to warn everyone, but the cold in my chest was too much.

Looking behind me, I noticed the dementor was right on my trail. I tried to land, to get away from it, hearing screams of horror. The dementor swooped in front of me, and drew in a long, slow, rattling breath, and the cold swept down further into my heart. I fell of my broom while it was still moving, skidded across the sand by the hoops, which was now ice because of the dementor.

The icy sand mildly slowed me down, and the last thing I heard was Winter calling my name before a blinding pain pierced the back of my head, and everything went black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

412K 11.3K 65
''You seriously need to stop calling me your friend,'' Sebastian tells me in a low voice. ''Then what should I call you?'' I ask curiously. My stomac...
207K 5.3K 43
Imara Fox has a dark past. If she can't control her necromancy, she will have a dark future a head of her. Turning to Hogwarts for protection, she me...
1.8K 218 18
Draco Malfoy and the gang are returning for another year but this year will be unlike any other. Hogwarts will play host to the Triwizard tournament...
60.3K 1.7K 34
Sara is about to go off to Hogwarts for the first time, but she has a secret, something that seperates her from other people. She is a Maledictus, th...