Southern Belle

By Springgirl101

Belle Wilkes is miserable living in her small town in the south. Unlike her family and friends, she actually... More

Southern Belle
Ch. 1 Cheerleading Tryouts
Ch. 2 eHarmony Dinner
Ch. 3 The Letter of Life or Death
Ch. 4 Let's Talk About Love
Ch. 5 Graduation
Ch. 6 Russian Literature....Huh?
Ch. 7 The Guy with the Aviators
Ch. 8 What Doesn't Make You Beautiful
Ch. 9 Bun in the Oven
Ch. 10 Southern Smooch
Ch. 11 The Bet
Ch.12 Coffee and Revenge
Ch. 13 First there's Fighting, then there's Kissing?
Ch. 14 A "Magical" Wedding
Ch.15 Going Footloose
Ch. 16 The Baby Adventure
Ch. 17 Nick is Part of the Family Now
Ch. 18 Do You Love Me?
Ch.19 Getting Hammered
Ch.20 Oh My God
Ch. 21 Cadet Belle Wilkes
Ch. 22 The Ball
Ch. 23 Mia Bella
Ch. 24 Some Things Are Best Kept Secret
Ch. 25 You Cared
Ch. 26 I Hope You're Sitting Down
Ch. 27 What Are You Doing?
Ch. 28 Visit From the Girl in Louboutins and the Boy in Aviators
Ch. 30 Begin Again
Epilogue
Special Chapter

Ch. 29 Fixing Loose Ends

14.7K 324 30
By Springgirl101

**Remember to vote and comment because I'm in the Watty Awards for Humor! Also, make sure to nominate me for 'Funniest 2012: Belle' Wilkes! Click the report button below the cover on the right side, and then pick the 'nominate' option on the list.**

Approximately two hours after Elise and I had been eating almost every food in my kitchen, Nick chose to make his appearance. Slightly disheveled, he slumped into the room and eyed us suspiciously. We were both sprawled out on the floor of the kitchen with bags of candy surrounding us.

We were fat asses.

"I thought you were going to put her in her place," Nick asked in awe, still peering at us like the world had ended. He ran a hand through his hair; he yawned a couple of times in between the words.

Elise gulped, attempting to push a few pieces of chocolate down her throat. "I did-- we came to the conclusion that I'll always be a badass bitch, and there's nothing that she can do about that."

Rolling his eyes, he pointed to Elise and then pointed towards the living area, indicating that it was her time to leave. In response she shook her head, but he kept repeating the same action until she got up, brushed the crumbs off of her dress, and headed for the other room.

And left me with the devil.

"I'm not in the mood to be yelled at," I warned, rubbing my swollen stomach from eating all of this junk. On top of being bloated, I had a pounding headache caused by the stress and lack of sleep.

He smirked slightly. "Go cry me a river."

Pouting, I leered him over before throwing another few pieces of chocolate chips into my huge mouth. The food would help me restrain my insults while he completely bashed me. "Go," I said while eating, "ahead and start."

The smirk was wiped off his face, and a serious mood filled the atmosphere. "I'll start with this: why the hell would you think that it was justifiable to completely ruin my cousin's reputation? You know how much she means to me, and yet, you still tried to destroy her!"

Okay, I thought the first question might've been easier than that. How the hell was I going to answer that without throwing myself onto the train tracks?

I brushed the crumbs off of my sweatshirt before standing up to meet him eye-to-eye. Eye contact was one of the most important things in arguments since eyes could tell someone's true emotions, even if they worked so hard to hide them.

"I didn't try to destroy her," I hissed, my hands clenching at my sides like crab's claws. "I just wanted her to understand that you can't be terrible to other people without consequences. And plus, I even tried to stop Meg at the gallery!"

His eyes rolled; his teeth grounded back and forth. Pushing up the sleeves of his sweater, he eyed me before he started pacing around the perimeter of the kitchen. Even though I had excellent hearing, I could barely hear what he was mumbling to himself.

"Look," he said a little louder with force, "I'm sorry that I kissed Missy. She just showed up out of nowhere, asking to just talk, and I-I-I couldn't help my actions. The testosterone blocked my critical-thinking capabilities."

Go ahead and blame it on the testosterone.

"Well, you could've--"

He placed his right hand in front of his body, indicating for me to be quiet. "Let me finish. I'm only saying this once."

"Rude much?"

A large huff escaped his lips, and his arms crossed. My conscience was telling me to shut up, but honestly, annoying him was way too fun to pass up. "What I'm saying is that I know that I was wrong to tell you that I would give up my flings if I knew that I couldn't--I admit that. On the other hand, what you did was wrong too. You knew that someone was going to publicly humiliate Elise, and yet, you did absolutely nothing. What if she attempted suicide for a second time because of your little stunt?"

What if she attempted suicide for a second time?

Oh, God. During this entire time, I only had thought about myself. I had played victim, defending my prior actions with the fact that I had tried to prevent the gallery from happening. However, the plan wasn't spontaneous--Meg had informed me each step along the way towards her final destination. In reality, I had months to tell Meg how wrong we were.

His words hit me like a freight train, and I had finally realized what could've happened.

My actions could've ended someone's life.

For a moment, while his last words registered into my mind, there was a palpable tension in the air. My shoulders involuntarily hunched forward, almost like the tension and the reality of his statements were crushing down on me. Hot water, pooling around my blue eyes, began cascading down the sides of my cheeks. Along with the tears came repetitive sobs.

"Oh, God!" My voice, raspy and somewhat unrecognizable, boomed throughout the kitchen. Nick cocked his head to the side, probably wondering what I was talking about. "Oh, God!" I repeated once again; I placed my hands onto my face to hide my emotions from him.

I was such an open book.

A few moments after I started crying into the palms of my hands, I felt a vibration of the floor next to me, caused by the impact of a person sitting on the ground. There was inner turmoil in my mind--should I look up or should I remain a coward and hide?

Inhaling slowly, I removed my hands from my head and peered over to the space to the side of me. Nick, with a troubled expression, was staring at me, like I was a patient newly released from the insane asylum. As the confidence flew back into my body, I lifted my head up even more, so our eyes could connect.

His beautiful eyes, the color of the Carribean sea.

Brushing a hand through his chocolate-brown hair, he extended out his feet in front of him to become more comfortable. Without saying a word, he then proceeded to place one of his hands one of mine, and even though that wasn't much contact, I had to say that sparks flew. Maybe it was because my hands were as cold as ice in Alaska and his were warm. Maybe it was because there was deep connection that was as striking as electricity.

Whatever the reason was, his touch made my heart race as fast as Usain Bolt.

"I hate," he moaned, "seeing you cry. I was able to be angry with you as long as you were acting like a prissy bitch. But, now it's harder to don the disguise."

To keep myself somewhat composed and distracted, my fingers began fumbling with the hem of my large sweatshirt. "What disguise?"

"No matter how angry I am with you-- and I'm extremely mad--my feelings for you won't go away. You're one of the best things that has ever happened to me, and I still am crazy about you."

Before I could even utter a response, a pair of soft lips were firmly planted onto me. The pace of our movements increased as all our emotions pent up from these past days were released. It was like all the problems in the world just melted off of us, and all that mattered was that we were here and that we were together.

Gasping for air, I gingerly pushed on the chest of my brown-haired friend, and his body leaned backwards. His chest was also frantically pulsing as the oxygen returned to his body; his pale cheeks had a rose tint, and water brimmed below his hairline. The ends of his lips tilted upwards as he said, "You have to understand though that I don't forgive you right now because it takes time to heal wounds. I also have to understand, though, that I need to work to earn my trust back after that whole Missy thing."

I nodded in agreement.

"Well,"  he continued, "we'll work on that together. Things can't go back to the way that they were, but if you promise to give me one more chance, I'll promise to learn to forgive your actions. If Elise can move on, I can surely try." His fingers, now on my right cheek, began tracing the lines on my face.

The mind-blowing kiss had eliminated all my speech capabilities, so the only way  I could respond was by shaking my head once again. A deep chuckle left his mouth, and winking at me, he brushed the imaginary grime off of his blue jeans before grasping the counter in front of him for support.

"And I apologize for the whole incident in Henwood's class. I'll email him, asking if we present again. If it makes you feel better, I basically couldn't answer any of his questions after you ran out of the room."

My left eyebrow arched. "And I'm the dumb one?"

He rolled his eyes playfully with a smirk still plastered on his face. It was great that we could resurrect our old friendship from the remnants that we had when I left the school. Yeah, we would still have problems and trust issues, but at least we were heading in the right direction.

"So, I'll see you in class on Monday?" he asked doubtfully. His eyes glimmered with hope as he waited patiently for my answer.

I shook my head. "I don't think I'm going back. I'm failing every class, and there are a lot of problems that I need to take care of while at home."

His teeth collided with his bottom lip. Scanning the room, he whispered, "Problems? Meaning Ash?"

My blond-haired boy.

"Maybe."

When I uttered those words, his eyes squinted, and his face scrunched up like he had just smelled something disgusting. However, he was quickly able to contain his emotions, and he replied coolly, "Okay, well, just so you know, I think you can contribute so much to Stanford. You're extremely smart, and I think, if we get Henwood to allow us to present again, we'll be able to get a great grade. Anyways, I'm leaving with Elise at noon tomorrow at Oak View Airport. If I see you there, I'll take it that you choose me."

Choose me? Was I taking sides now? Before I could scold him for that comment, he leaned over and placed a kiss onto my left cheek and went into the living room to retrieve his cousin.

I smacked my forehead against the wall.

When did life get so complicated?

**

It was beautiful out tonight.

The twinkling stars illuminated all the flowers in the field, and the only sounds were emitted from the owls in the background. As I laid on the field of bellflowers, I inhaled slowly, taking in the peaceful atmosphere.

Oh, how I missed my favorite place in the entire world.

"I knew I'd find you here."

The soft and melodic voice jolted me off of my back into a sitting position. Frantically, my eyes scanned the hidden meadow, and even though it was pitch back, I could faintly detect a petite figure slouching on a tree.

"Mom?"

The figure nodded, and slowly, my mother inched towards my body. Once she was directly under the moonlight, I could see her features more prominently. Her frail hair was swept up in a bun, she had on her soiled, maroon red apron, and her lips were covered in her signature peach lipstick.

"Belle, what are you doing here, darlin'? Why aren't you on your way back to school?" she inquired softly, sitting down beside me. Her dainty hands were braiding my hair, and I felt like I was transported back into time to when I was six-years-old.

I looked away. "Mom, I'm staying here. I can't do anything right. I'm failing basically all my classes, I'm having trouble with my roommate, and I'm being yanked in different directions by two guys. I'm getting so sick because of all of the stress!" My voice screeched the last line, and because of that, three or four owls squacked in response to my annoying yell.

My mother eyed me. "Boys? Are we talking about Ash and that boy, Nick, who sent us a check to pay for your four years in college?"

She hit the nail right on target.

I snorted. "The devils."

"Honey," my mother coaxed in a voice that I rarely heard her use with me, "you're the first to do well in high school. You're the first to go to college; you're the first to actually stay single at the age of eighteen. I hope you know how absolutely proud I am of you. You're doing so well, and I think that you should go back to Stanford and show those bastards what the Wilkes are made out of."

My eyes widened, and I nearly chocked on the saliva in my mouth. Had she just said what I thought she said? Smacking a hand against both of my ears, I groaned in confusion. My mother was the one who had fought so hard against my college dreams. Now, she was supporting my decision?

What was wrong with the universe?

"Mom," I breathed out, "I thought you wanted me to remain here and work at the office."

For a second, she hesitated, most likely to regain her thoughts. "I was afraid that you would'nt ever come back to see us anymore. I saw the potential in you, and I knew you were going places. But, I see how great college is for you, and I want you to become something great."

Her voice faltered, and even though I couldn't see her, I knew how upset she was. She was afraid of losing her little girl. Pivoting around, I grasped her into a hug and refused to let her go.

This was my mother, and although we had some problems, we had a bond that could never be replicated. She loved me in her own special way, and I had to admit that I loved her too.

"I love you," I sighed happily into her ear as her grasp tightened around my waist.

"I love you too. And about that boy situation, do what your heart says is right. No one can decide but you."

And with that, she placed a bellflower into my hair.

I would always be her Belle.

**Remember to vote and comment because I'm in the Watty Awards for Humor! Also, make sure to nominate me for 'Funniest 2012: Belle' Wilkes! Click the report button below the cover on the right side, and then pick the 'nominate' option on the list.**

2 chapters left-- (1 chapter; 1 epilogue chapter).

:*)

Vote and comment!

Sorry if they're rushed. It usually takes me a week to write a chapter, and I have to do two more in like a day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

981K 16.1K 89
No one ever thought Bryce would end up with a girl like her. Obviously damaged, innocent, unattached to social media, quiet, no drugs, no alcohol, no...
55.4K 2.9K 83
"Can we stop feeling guilty, Amelia? Guilty for all the things that weren't our fault." "We can Leo. Maybe someday." "That day isn't far off Amelia...
408K 4.6K 32
Bell and her parents go on a holiday to a small town in California for the summer. The town only has a couple hundred people and she runs into Matt h...
129K 2.3K 31
" Julian Henry my office now" the wrath of professor Monroe's voice struck through the hall way like a ball of lighting. This was the time Julian k...