Four Elements Book 1 - Hidden...

By MarionAvalon

#70 in Fantasy Fire. Water. Earth. Air. The four elements are not just elements. They are incarnated by four... More

Foreword
Prologue
Chapter 1 - A new start - part 1
Chapter 1 - A new start - part 2
Chapter 2 - That happy feeling of new friendships - part 1
Chapter 2 - That happy feeling of new friendships - part 2
Chapter 3 - "The circle has been formed"- part 1
Chapter 3 - "The circle has been formed" - part 2
Chapter 4 - Set in motion - part 1
Chapter 4 - Set in motion - part 2
Chapter 5 - The new masters - part 1
Chapter 5 - The new masters - part 2
Chapter 6 - Standing the heat - part 1
Chapter 6 - Standing the heat - part 2
Chapter 7 - Toughening up - part 1
Chapter 7 - Toughening up - part 2
Chapter 8 - Preparing for what's to come - part 1
Chapter 8 - Preparing for what's to come - part 2
Chapter 9 - The turning point - part 1
Chapter 9 - The turning point - part 2
Chapter 10 - The best and the worst - part 1
Chapter 10 - The best and the worst - part 2
Chapter 11 - Bad just got worse - part 1
Chapter 11 - Bad just got worse - part 2
Chapter 12 - Friendly intervention - part 1
Chapter 13 - Finding a way - part 1
Chapter 13 - Finding a way - part 2
Chapter 14 - A new mission - part 1
Chapter 14 - A new mission - part 2
Chapter 15 - Fresh start - part 1
Chapter 15 - Fresh start - part 2
Chapter 16 - Challenges and half truths - part 1
Chapter 16 - Challenges and half truths - part 2
Chapter 17 - The last piece - part 1
Chapter 17 - The last piece - part 2
Chapter 18 - Everything changes - part 1
Chapter 18 - Everything changes - part 2
Chapter 19 - Moving on - part 1
Chapter 19 - Moving on - part 2
Epilogue
Author's note

Chapter 12 - Friendly Intervention - part 2

2.6K 163 13
By MarionAvalon

Shortly after that, she took her leave, after thanking Robert. She drove home, feeling better and not at the same time. She felt better on the one hand, because Robert didn't hold her responsible for Bane's accident, and had even tried to help her work through her guilt.

Bane's lucky to have him... she told herself. And he's probably right. Bane wouldn't let me feel guilty...

And yet at the same time, she didn't feel better, because it didn't help Bane, or her own culpability. She sighed as she shut off her engine outside her house, then climbed out and went inside to her room after checking on Hannah, who was playing quietly in her room. She tried reading in her room for a while, but she soon gave up. Just then, the doorbell rang. She went down the stairs, since her parents were both at work. She opened the door and blinked.

“Oh, hey guys,” she said.

 Before her, stood Isabelle, Emily and Jesssica. She didn't remember them planning to meet up, but she was always happy to see them. But as she looked at them, something didn't feel quite right. They were smiling, but she could see a hint of uncertainty in their eyes. She looked at them in turn, trying to read their faces.

“Is something wrong?” she asked.

 “Uh... can we come in?” Jessica asked. “It's kind of cold, out here...”

 Andie realized they were still starting on the threshold.

 “Oh... right, of course, come in...”

 She stepped aside to let them in. They went up to her room where Andie went over to her desk to get her notes.

 “I'm glad you're all here,” she said. “I wanted to work on the plan again...”

 “Andie, hold on,” Jessica said.

 Andie looked at them.

 “What? Why are you all looking at me like that?”

 The girls exchanged uncomfortable looks.

 “Listen... we all understand that you're going through a tough time, right now... we miss Bane too... but...” Emily began slowly. “We're... we're worried about you.”

 “You're scaring us,” Jessica said abruptly.

 “Jess!” Isabelle whispered reprovingly, but it was too late.

 Andie looked from one to the other, blinking.

 “What? D'you mind explaining what you're talking about, because I'm lost.”

 “This,” Isabelle said carefully, indicating the notes on Andie's desk. “... We all want to help you and Bane get better, but... we're talking about breaking an entering and theft... I know it's not for profit or anything petty like that... but...”

 Andie looked at her friends.

“... I know it's crazy... maybe I am... but... I can't just... sit back and do nothing. I know none of you would if it were me.”

 The girls hesitated.

 “... Of course not,” Isabelle agreed. “But you have to agree this is rather... extreme.”

 “I'm not doing it because I want to,” Andie said, getting up, annoyed.

 She looked out the window. After a second, she took a deep breath to calm herself. They hadn't seen Zarias. They hadn't felt Bane's limp body in their arms, felt Zarias's power, her helplessness... she couldn't just sit back and let things end like that.

 “I'm sorry... I know what I'm planning is dangerous and probably not the smartest thing to do. And I won't mind if you want to stay out of it. But I'm seeing it through.”

 She looked down at the sound of two children chasing each other in the garden opposite her house, and told herself that things were so much simpler when you were ten years old than when you were eighteen.

Isabelle, Emily and Jessica soon saw they wouldn't change Andie's mind, so they stopped trying and eventually took their leave. But if they put the subject aside for the moment, the former masters didn't. They were trying not to intervene because they weren't sure it was their place. But they still had opinions and shared them.

 “... Is it me, or is Andie dealing with what happened to Bane a little... dangerously?” River asked with concern.

They could meet up with each other without the girls hearing or seeing them. Of course, Balon was not there, now.

“No, she is,” Ardente agreed with a frown. “It's beginning to scare me, actually. She's always been so responsible, rule-abiding... But if she doesn't listen to her closest friends, I'm not sure she'll listen to us...”

“Well, maybe precisely because we're not as close to her, she will...” Terra pointed out.

 “I'm not so sure...” Aera argued, shaking her head. “I think we all know we'd probably do something like this if we were in her shoes...”

 They all knew they especially meant Ardente. In fact, they were a little surprised that she wasn't agreeing with Andie, as Bane's coma kept her from Balon as well.

 “I miss Balon, of course,” she said. “It would be pointless to deny it. But I accept that in this form, there is little I can do.”

There was a thoughtful pause.

 “... What if we tried healing him? Bane than the Isabelle or the girls?” Aera asked. “That would solve everything!”

 “I'm certainly willing to try,” Ardente said. “It would avoid Andie and the others taking so many risks, and it would solve Andie's concerns about Isabelle healing him.”

 “We'd never have the power...” Terra sighed. “We barely have enough to take on tangible forms...”

 The others didn't answer. They had to admit that she had a point.

 “I wish we could help them more...” Ardente said.

 “I think we shouldn't interfere,” River said quietly. “People learn best from their mistakes, after all...”

 Ardente and the others didn't disagree, but couldn't help wondering if the possible consequences were really worth it.

Andie slept badly, that night. She dreamed of Bane again, and the disagreement with her friends still rattled her, as well. She had only rarely had disagreements with any of them, if ever, and she'd hated every single one. Of course, the rational part of her knew they were inevitable, especially since they all had such different personalities... But that didn't make them enjoyable, she told herself the next morning as she sat on the window seat, thinking, like she often did when she felt unhappy. She half had a mind to call them and apologize, but she knew they'd try and talk her out of her plan again, and she didn't want it to turn into a real argument. Her friends and family were the only think that kept her afloat at the moment, and she wasn't sure she would stand there being a wedge between her and either of them.

Oh, who am I kidding...? She thought sadly, staring at the gray sky outside. It's already happening... with my family because I have to lie to them and I can't be around with them as much so I don't lead the demons to them... and with my friends because they can't understand how I feel...

She felt like she was flailing around in water and couldn't break the surface. It was a very uncomfortable sensation. But what else was she going to do? She couldn't stand the thought of doing nothing, or risking Isabelle getting harmed in the attempt at healing him herself. She didn't think she'd ever felt so lost. Even when she'd been hesitating about her feelings for Bane, it had been painful, but it was nothing compared to this. She couldn't help thinking she made a mess of everything and everyone that came in contact with her... her sister, her relationship with Bane, her friends... none of them were quite the way they should have been...

Maybe I'm not cut out to be the incarnation of Fire, after all...Andie thought.

I don't believe that, Ardente said.

Andie looked up. A blue of color shimmered in the air, followed by Ardente.

“You know, in polite society, it's rude to listen to people's thoughts.” Andie commented, but not reprovingly.

“I apologize,” she said, looking unrepentant. “But I stand by what I said. You didn't become the incarnation of fire for nothing, I'm sure of it.”

Andie looked up at her, then out the window again, wishing she were as confident.

“So we're doing it?” Emily asked. “We're going through with the plan?”

It was the following day after school. Andie had had to go home right after class to watch her sister while her parents had a big meeting at work, so Jessica had called a meeting with Isabelle and Emily. They were in Jessica's room, which was as feisty as her. Posters of singers and actors on the walls, a brown wardrobe in the corner, a small bed with green sheets, her collection of snow globes on a shelf above her bed.

“Yes. It's worth the try,” Isabelle said, sitting on Jessica's chair by her desk. “We can't let Andie go through with her plan without at least giving the alternative a chance.”

Jessica nodded in agreement.

“But what if it does hurt you?” Emily asked worriedly, sitting next to Jessica on her bed. “I mean, really, Isabelle... I don't like taking that kind of risk... healing minor cuts is one thing... a coma is something entirely different.”

“I know that, and I'm ready to risk it,” Isabelle said. “It's important to see how far my healing powers can go. We've been getting stronger, that much is true. We can use our powers more naturally, we understand how they work better... we're even getting stronger physically. But from what I understood from River and the others, so is Zorak. So Andie's got a point about one thing: inaction is not an option.”

“Alright, then, miss I-make-everything-rime,” Jessica said, crossing her arms and legs as she looked at Isabelle. “Let's say we go through with this. Answer me this. How do you think Andie'll react when she finds out? She'll be furious! She told us pretty clearly that she didn't want us to do this.”

“She's only refusing because she worries about what it would do to me. Once Bane is back and I'm fine, it'll be forgotten.” Isabelle said, leaning on the desk. “And besides, I know she wants to protect me, but I can make my own choices.”

Jessica and Isabelle still looked hesitant.

“Guys, I'll be fine.” Isabelle assured them. “ If I feel weird or weak, I'll stop. But don't you think we have to at least try?”

“Yes, but we don't want to help one friend by losing another...” Emily said.

“And you won't.” Isabelle replied confidently. “Come on, let's go.”

 Emily gaped. Even Jessica, who was clearly acknowledged as the most impulsive, looked taken aback.

 “What, now?” Emily asked uncertainly.

 “Yes.” Isabelle said decidedly. “The sooner Bane's back, the sooner things will start getting back to normal.”

 So they left, wondering if there lives had any normality left since they'd discovered their powers.

They made their way to the hospital in silence, all feeling a little nervous. The sky was a dull grey, and it was cold outside. They didn't say a word all journey. Eventually, they passed the automatic doors and came into the hospital's entrance hall. Even Isabelle, as determined as she was, would have like to have at least an idea on what to expect... But Andie was always trying to protect her and the others, so it was time they tried to protect her, for a change. She looked out at the window as they walked down the hallway. It was starting to snow, and people were tightening their coats around them as they walked along the streets. Isabelle was surprised to find herself looking for demons. She shook her head. She doubted Zorak would attack in the open. They tried to ease the tension by talking about ordinary things.

 “So, Jessica, how are things going with you and Ben?” Emily asked, sounding less natural than she would have liked.

 “Oh, they're fine...” Jessica said. “I have to admit it's nice to have at least one person who doesn't have crazy superpowers and isn't a member of my family.”

 “Yeah, I guess so.” Emily agreed. “How are you dealing with keeping your double life from him? It has to be different that with your parents...”

 “Well, it's a bit frustrating, not being able to tell him everything, but I'm managing. He's taking me to dinner with his parents next weekend.”

“Really?” Isabelle asked.

 “Yeah, it's his brother's birthday, and Ben wanted me to join them. His brother's girlfriend will be there too, so they thought it would be nice.”

 “You'll have to spill all the details afterwards,” Emily warned with a smile.

 “Ha! Not if I don't want to,” Jessica said smugly. “You know you've never gotten things I didn't want to tell you before!”

 “Oh, you mean like that time I got you to confess your insane plan with Ben Willows?” Emily grinned. “Yeah, you definitely took that one to the grave."

Isabelle laughed, with Jessica stuck her tongue out at them. They all knew it was just to ease the tension, but it worked and felt nice. With all that was going on, any moment of peace was welcome.

They walked into the hospital and up to Bane's room. It was really something, seeing him lying in the bed like he was asleep, and yet knowing only too well that he was doing no such thing... the girls looked at each other, wondering if everyone who had a loved one in a come felt the way they were.

“... Hey... is it me or is this really bizarre?” Emily asked in a low voice.

“No, it's weird alright,” Jessica replied. “I'm surprised his uncle's not here...”

“Keep your voice down, this is a hospital! And Bane's uncle has a store to run,” Isabelle reminded her. “He can't just drop everything.”

“Yeah, I guess that's true,” Jessica admitted, more quietly. “So, we're here now. But anyone have an idea on how exactly we're supposed to do this?”

“To be honest, I really don't know...” Isabelle admitted. “I guess it's pretty much like my regular healing power... but we won't know until I try.”

She ran some water over her hands and came back, feeling apprehensive but determined. She took a deep breath, fighting her nerves, and raised her hands above Bane's body, and closed her eyes. At once, the energy flowed through her down to her hands, and seemed to touch Bane. So far, he didn't seem to be reacting. But she was fairly sure it would take a lot longer than when she'd healed Andie's “demon wound” as Jessica had dubbed it when they had talked about it. So she kept her focus on Bane, her breathing steady, and her eyes closed.

“Is it working?” Jessica whispered.

“Shh!” Emily hissed. “Let her concentrate!”

At last, she had the feeling of getting somewhere. But just then, a fierce pain coursed through her body, making her gasp. She was using all her energy but it didn't seem to be enough. The connection snapped and she fell backwards. Luckily, Emily and Jessica were there and caught her before she hit the hard floor.

“Isabelle!” Emily gasped. “Are you okay?”

Isabelle didn't answer.

“Isabelle, come on, it's not funny...” Jessica said.

Emily looked gravely up at her.

“I don't think she's joking, Jess...”

She let Jessica hold her up and shot into the corridor.

“Nurse! Nurse, we need help!”

Andie forced herself not to push her foot right down on the accelerator as she drove through the town towards the hospital. Fear and anger were bubbling in one merry mess inside her. When Emily had called her, she'd almost fainted right then. Not only had the girls gone behind her back, but Isabelle was in a hospital bed, now as well as Bane! Exactly what she'd been afraid of!

 How could they do that? She fumed, not knowing (and not quite caring) if Ardente heard or was there. I warned them it was dangerous!

 Emily hadn't been able to tell her how she was. The doctors hadn't been to see her and Jessica yet. She couldn't get their conversation out of her head.

 “Hey, Emily.” Andie said.

Hey, Andie,” Emily said.

 Andie immediately noticed her tone.

 “Is something wrong?” she asked. “You sound upset.”.

 “Well...uh... listen... I think you should come to the hospital...” Emily said carefully. “Jess and I are already here.”

 Andie blanched.

 “What is it, is something wrong with Bane?” she asked, straightening up.

 “No, no...” Emily said.

Just then, Andie noticed that she had mentioned herself and Jessica, but not Isabelle.

"Is it Isabelle?” She asked.

Emily seemed even more uneasy.

Uh... I think it's best we talk about it when you get here...”

Em, hold on...”

But Emily had hung up before Andie could say anymore. And then, Andie had paused. Why were Jessica and Emily at the hospital to begin with? A bad feeling had crept into her. So she'd jumped into her car and headed out after checking on her sister. She soon reached the hospital and hurried in. Emily and Jessica were waiting for her in the entrance hall, looking worried. Andie wasn't quite sure, but she thought she could see a look of guilt in her eyes, too.

“What happened?” she demanded.

“... Isabelle passed out. The doctor said she's anemic.” Emily said. “But she'll be okay. Just a few hours of rest, and she'll be good as new.”

“But how did it happen? And... why were you he-”

Then, the truth hit her harder than a brink in her face.

“Oh, my God... she tried to heal Bane, didn't she?”

Jessica and Emily looked uncomfortably at each other.

“Well... it was mor-”

“Jessica,” Andie said warningly. “Don't even think about it.”

She eyed them both. Eventually, Emily gave in.

“Isabelle wanted to do it... she wanted to help you because you always help us...”

“And I told you it was a bad idea!” Andie snapped in a low voice. “Because I was afraid this might happen! I thought I'd gotten through to you! This is why I didn't want you to do this! I can't believe you let her!”

“But...”

“No! There are no buts!”

“Listen, Andie, yes, we messed up. Yes, you were right to recommend not to do it, but we didn't force her into anything. In fact, we were actually not sure it was a good idea either... but Isabelle wanted to.”

Andie bit her lip. Taking a deep breath, she said:

“Where is she?”

 They led her to her room, where they found her resting, tired but conscious.

“Hey,” she said when they came in.

“Hey...” Andie said, heading forwards and hugging her. “I can't believe you did that, are you insane?”

"Maybe,” Isabelle admitted with a tired half smile. “But look me in the eye and tell me you wouldn't have done the same thing if it had been you.”

 Andie was about to argue, when she realized that was exactly what she would have done. She sighed.

"Okay, you got me.” she said, smiling slightly.

She sat on the edge of the bed.

“So how are you feeling?”

“Woozy, and I think that I have more aches than bones in my body...” Isabelle smiled. “But I'll be fine.”

Andie sighed with relief. Then, she hesitated, but pushed on because she had to ask.

“... Did it work?”

Isabelle's eyes turned sad and guilty.

“... I'm sorry, Andie... I don't think it did... I wasn't strong enough. I could sense it at the end, I knew it wouldn't work... I'm not sure why...”

“Your power's probably not there yet,” River said.

“But I was so close, I know it...”

“Which means that next time, it'll work,” Jessica said encouragingly.

“No!” Andie retorted rounding on Jessica. “She could have died, or fallen into a coma! We are not doing this again! Bane will just... have to wait a little.”

She turned to Isabelle and hugged her again.

“What matters right now is that you're okay...”

“You know it'll take more than that to get rid of me,” Isabelle smiled.

“I know... but don't ever do that again. I don't want to lose you, too.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

522K 21.9K 36
Meet Kate. A snappy powerful free-runner, or rogue, with a strong animal side that even she doesn't know. However, being powerful pulls her into Myth...
49.6K 4.6K 66
Millie has finally graduated, and in doing so she manages to land herself a job within the SED- the Supernatural Entity Division for the UK Governmen...
1.2M 86.9K 23
#Book-2 in Lost Royalty series (But can be read standalone ) Ekaksh Singh Ranawat The callous heartless , sole heir of Ranawat empire, which is spr...
52.6K 2.9K 43
They called her a demon. They called her the monster of road races. They just didn't know how accurate those names were... *** Genesis never asked fo...