The Elementals

By silversnowleopard

My name is Tide. I'd love to say hi and all, but if I tell you my location two very bad things could happen... More

Another Orphanage Bites the Dust
I Am Attacked for No Reason
I Meet The Bane Of My Existence
Radioactivity
I Try To Drown The Bane Of My Existence
I Become An Instant Battle Genius
Confessions
Enter Popsicle Man
We Are Not Alone
I Push Coal Off A Cliff
I Show Proficiency in Burglary
I Show Less Proficiency in Driving
Breeze
Trapped
Steel
Breeze
Steel
Enter Oh'Rian
Practice
Steel
Nightmares Come True
Wake Up Call
I Get Impatient
It Appears I Have A Continuing Love Of Taking Life Threatening Risks
I Eavesdrop
The Madness Begins
Amnesia
Steel
Third Rail
We Are Still Not Alone
Stage Two Insanity: I Make The Worst Decison Of My Life
I Meet the Second Bane of My Existence
Breeze
Death, Cliffs, And Jealousy Oh My
Progress
Oh'Rian Has A Plan
Terra
Psychic
Rules Were Made to Be Broken
We "Borrow" A Helicopter
The Bitter Taste Of Freedom
Video
Trust
S.O.S
Mission
Training
Have I Mentioned How Much I Hate Trust Exercises?
Treachery
Maple
DNA
We Take A Ride In The Death Mobile
Doppelgangers And Handcuffs
Experiment #23
Brownies
Switch It Up
Replaced
#23
Avalanches Cause Hypothermia
No Kidding
The File Room
Finish The Story
Try Not To Break The Airport
Flipper Flipper Faster Than Lightning
Steel
Audrey
Stella
I Am Princess Leia
Noah
And Yet Another Knife Is Stabbed In My Back
Broken Heart, Broken Rib, Same Thing
Fire-cane-earth-nado
Sixteen Pizzas and a Body
The Deadly Virus Goes Round and Round...
Russia, Location Disclosed
Sequel

Promise

12.5K 898 168
By silversnowleopard

Author's note: What's up guys? So again, sorta short chapter but I've been really busy so I'm doing my best. I hope you like it anyway.

Dedication!

Clementineboss gets this chapter because they are a new poster to Wattpad (they posted a story) (you should check it out) (it's awesome) And they votes and comment and have a HTTYD thing as their profile and that's pretty snazzy, as declared by me. 

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter, I love you all for voting/commenting and SERIOUSLY if you want a dedication TELL ME I WILL NOT GET OFFENDED in fact I feel bad because I know I'm forgetting people and it's awful but I'm not a very organized person. So yell at me and if I can't fit you all I'll start filling up the previous chapters because I really want you to know you're all appreciated so much!

~***~***~***

I have to find Izila and the clone. Something about that “experiment” does not sound good to me. Then I’ve got some chaos to unleash. Chaos that may or may not involve gas tanks and fire.

Sure, it’s a rather stupid plan, but as long as it’s effective, it doesn’t matter.

When I run into a guard, I come thisclose to panicking and side-kicking him. Instead, I breathe and snap, “What are you doing?”

    “Ch-checking on the water e-element girl.” The guard stammers nervously.

    “Yeah, well I’ve done that already, you don’t need to waste more time.” I roll my eyes. “Has Izila moved?”

    “N-no, she’s still in the testing room.”

    “Fine.” I storm past him haughtily. “Go make sure we’re on the right course.”

As soon as his footsteps fade, I start running down the hallways, looking for a sign that says “testing room.” As soon as I find it I sprint to the corner and tip toe along the hallway leading into the room. I can just barely make out voices.

    "-can! I don't need to practice!" The Tide clone gripes.

    "It's not practice," Izila replies icily. "It's that I have my doubts about your abilities."

The clone doesn't respond. I inch forward. If I can just get a look, maybe I'll understand what's going on. I hold my breath and peer around the corner.

And lock eyes with Coal.

We both freeze. He's on the other side of the room, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. I duck back behind the wall, swearing under my breath and waiting for Izila's cold smile to greet me.

But nothing happens.

I count to ten and then look around the corner again.

This time his jaw is set, eyes wide in a panic I don't understand. His gaze flicks to Izila and then back to me, and he shakes his head almost imperceptibly.

I wrinkle my nose, insides rolling with the sight of him.

He raises his hand and waves me off, furiously mouthing what I think is "go away" but that doesn't make sense.

    "What?" The clone snaps, and I duck behind the wall, ready to start running.

    "Nothing." Coal says to my surprise. "Except for the fact that you need to stop whining."

    "Whining?" The clone snarls in disbelief. "I'll show you whining-"

    "23!" Izila growls harshly, and the clone begins to argue with her.

I sneak another glance around the wall. Coal sees me and scrunches his eyes closed in a familiar gesture of frustration.

Leave!

Even though there's no sound, I can imagine the exasperation in his voice. I shake my head and he grimaces, looking annoyed. Not really the right time, but I'm proud.

Go away! He shoos me out the door with his hand again.

I blink, trying to sort out what's happening. He can't be trying to save me. That wouldn't go along with the whole traitor thing-

    "Hey!"

I jump as Coal's voice rings from the other direction, and I turn to see the clone marching towards me. I thought he was dead. My eyes widen as his hands raise and start to glow and then I'm gone, ducking under the fire and racing past him, out the door and down the hallway.

I can hear shouting following me as I sprint down a few corridors, hoping to find a room or something to hide in. I spot a door and run towards it.

    "Tide!"

I jump again, spinning to face Coal. I back up warily, ready to fight.

He offers a weak smile. "Thank god I found-"

    "Tide!"

My caution skyrockets as the second Coal races down the other hallway. I swear inwardly. They're both wearing the same thing.

    "Tide-" they both start, and then narrow their eyes at each other.

    "That's the clone!" The Coal on the left accuses, circling the first Coal and making me dizzy.

    "No!" The other one cries indignantly. They pace around each other and any idea I had of which is which goes out the window.

    "Tide, he's the clone-"

    "No, that one is!"

    "Shut up!" I snap and they both turn to face me.

    "Tide," the Coal on the right pleads. "Don't listen to him-"

    "C'mon," the other one interrupts and I turn to him. His eyes plead with me. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I just needed to get them to trust me. It's all fake."

    "Tide-" Right-Side Coal steps forward and I press my back against the door, ready to lash out.

    "Flippers," the left one begs. "You know me-"

And that's when I roundhouse kick him. He falls to the floor, temporarily unconscious and I snarl, "I said, never call me that again."

    "Oh thank god-"

I wheel around and punch him, trying to hold back a wince of pain as I hit his jaw. Coal stumbles back into the wall from the force.

    "I guess I deserved that." He says, rubbing the spot where I hit him sorely.

I slap him.

    "Ow!" He exclaims indignantly. "That was a little uncalled for - hey!" He ducks as I take another swing, and then his hands are holding my wrists by my sides and I'm flush against his chest.

    "Let me go!" I struggle in his grip.

    "Tide."

    "Let-"

    "Tide."

    "Me-"

    "Tide."

    "Go!"

    "Tide!"

I fall silent, glaring ferociously into his eyes, refusing to acknowledge how fast my heart is racing. He lets go of my arms and faster than he can blink I have a fistful of his shirt in my hand and I’ve dragged him into the room closest to us as shouts echo through the hallways. As the door shuts I push him against it, searching his face for a hint that might give him away.

    "I can explain." He says quickly, eyes widening.

    "You have five seconds." I growl.

    "Well we were about to be captured so I figured if one of us was free that would be the best plan and the only way to do that was to take their side so I did but I didn't - I don't mean it and I tried to explain but you wouldn't listen and I know, I know, I'm stupid, I'm an idiot – but I was just trying to keep you safe..."

He trails off at the end, watching me as I continue to scowl at him, arm still pinning him to the wall.

    "I don't know whether to hit you again or to hug you." I say eventually.

    "If it's all the same to you, I'd prefer a kiss." He smiles weakly and I roll my eyes, dropping my arm from its position across his chest.

    "You're such a moron." I mutter and then reach up to grab his collar. He winces for a split second in anticipation but then I yank him down and kiss him. He murmurs in surprise but doesn't object.

I reluctantly let go of his collar and drop down from my toes. "I'm still mad at you." I mutter as he gives me that stupid half-grin that just isn't fair.

    "Are the others off the ship?" He asks.

I tilt my head. "How did you-?"

    "I'm the one who let them out." He says.

    "Oh." I look down, then frown, puzzled. "Then why didn't you just let me out too?"

Coal pauses before answering shakily. "I - um...I needed to...I- I figured they would let you out and get away while I...did a few things."

    "What sort of things?" I ask suspiciously, trying to read his eyes in the dark room.

    "Nothing important..." He mumbles, which only makes me narrow my eyes and step closer, pushing him back against the wall, where he doesn't look at me.

    "It sounds pretty important." I insist.

Coal pauses again. "I...I had a plan..."

    "Yes?"

    "Well, it was more of an idea...but it really isn't relevant right now and I think you should join the others and get back to the orphanage. Jensen will take you to the airport."

    "What about you?" I demand as he tries to slip past me. "What's your idea?"

He pauses before saying, "So you know how I was reading those files at the base?"

I nod.

    "Well there were blueprints for this aircraft carrier. And it has an engine room that had tanks running in a line all down the center of it. And...um...gasoline is...flammable..." He trails off. "We really should get moving..."

I step in front of him. "Are you saying you're going to blow up the aircraft carrier?"

    "Look-"

    "No." I interrupt him. "That's completely insane Coal. You'll die."

He scoffs. "Like you weren't going to do the exact same thing."

    "No!" I exclaim, coming out less confident and guiltier than I wanted.

    "Just get in the boat with the others-"

    "I have to make sure Izila will never come after us again!"

    "And how were you planning to do that?" He asks. "You'd have to have a flamethrower to get past the metal tanks. And in case you haven't noticed, that's exactly what I am."

    "I'm not going to let you kill yourself!"

    "As if you'd survive-"

    "It's different Coal!" I snap. "I don't want you to die!"

    "And that's why I was pretending to be on their side!" He replies just as heatedly.

I pause. “You thought I wouldn’t care.”

    “Well yeah.”

I take a breath. “Are you insane?” I ask, my calm demeanor shattering with the last word. Coal’s eyes widen and he presses himself farther against the door. “Of course I would care you moron! God you’re so stupid, I can’t believe-” I take another breath, pinching the bridge of my nose. “Let’s just meet the others and get out of here, okay? Together.

Coal stares at me for a moment, looking slightly frightened. “Okay.” He agrees finally.

    “Promise.”

    “What?”

    “I don’t trust you not to kill yourself.” I say. “Now promise.” I hold out my hand.

Even in the dark of the room, I can see the small smile and eye roll. Or, I know him well enough to picture it. “Alright Tide, I promise.” He says, slightly mocking, and then we shake, which feels oddly formal.

Assured, I nod. “Good.”

The shouting gets louder and I place my hand on the doorknob. Coal falls back behind me and I check over my shoulder. “Ready?”

    “Whenever you are.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

578 56 18
Book One is finally complete, please look forward to Book Two, The Chronicles of Arnora: The Zemorian Invasion! Thousands of years ago there was a gr...
16.7K 1.1K 38
[SPOILER ALERT! This is the sequel to "Elementals". If you haven't read it, don't read further.] Following the events on the moon, our two...
55.7K 1.3K 41
I'm just different, There's no need to shock you. I'm not your play toy, I can freeze you to death. I'm not your son, I co...
2.5K 557 69
Book one of Nature's Series The world is on the verge of extinction. Technologies are falling short in front of the destruction caused by constant di...