APARTMENT 143

By natashahills

Moving to the big city alone is hard enough for Violet. But being neighbors with her new boss? Way harder. ... More

00
01
02
03
04
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20

05

2.1K 97 4
By natashahills

I step out the shower as the steam fills my bathroom, making my way to the mirror I wipe off the steam to see myself.

The thought of Riven appears in my mind, he actually hugged me and it was genuine.

Talking about my mom always brought back unsettling feelings but I've always been able to hold myself back and put a smile on my face, so why did I end up crying in front of a man I hardly knew?

This is getting me nowhere, I need to get ready.

I walk into my bedroom towards my closet, pulling out a baby blue dress with white flowers. It seemed like a nice day so why not enjoy it with a bright outfit. I slide my feet into a pair of simple white heels and grab my purse before making my way down the stairs.

Chloe had left by the time I had returned, she left me a note saying she'll be back tonight and bring dinner. However, I knew it must have been something else, maybe just the fact Riven wanted nothing to do with her?

I grab my keys and head out the door locking it behind me and walk over to the elevator, click the button to go down.

Suddenly someone stands beside me and startled me.

"R- Riven?" I say looking up at him.

"Violet." He says as the elevator doors open.

Riven steps in first and turns around to look at me, he holds the door open with his hand and I step inside. Keeping my distance, as I stand on the other side of the elevator quietly, Riven has definitely gone back to his reserved and distant self and I didn't want to bother him.

I notice him texting away with one hand while the other was still covered with the band-aid.

"Um, how's your hand?" I ask looking over at him.

Riven's head perks up and he places his phone back in his pocket.

"It still stings a bit, is that normal?" he asks, holding out his hand for me to examine it.

I hold his hand in mine, they were literally double the size of my own. Honestly, he could probably hold both my hands in one of his, but I shook my head to stay focused.

I ran my fingers over the band-aid to see if he had any reaction to pain, then flipped over his hand to see if there were any cuts I might have missed.

"Everything looks fine, I told you it would feel a bit sore," I say letting go. "But you'll be perfectly fine soon enough."

"I see," Riven says as he lifts his hand and begins examining it himself.

He puts his hand into his pocket and notices me still looking at him, Riven steps forward towards me and I step back. He continues this until my back against the wall and he's just a few inches away from me.

"Is there something wrong?" he says with his deep husky voice.

"W- What?"

"Is there something wrong with me? You keep backing away," Riven says with his calm demanding aura. "Have I done something to upset you?"

"No of course not!" I shout jumping forward.

Riven lifts an eyebrow at my response and I immediately lean back down against the wall.

"I mean it's just you don't seem like you're much of the talking type..." I say looking away shyly. "I didn't want to bother you."

"You're right," he says, not breaking his eyes off of me. "I'm not much of a fan when it comes to people, especially those who are loud and... well stubborn."

"In other words, me?" I say looking up at him innocently. "Do you not like me?"

Riven tilts his head as if he's taken a bit back by my words, he looks at me a bit confused before responding.

"I never said that..." Riven pulls his hand out of his pocket and fixes a piece of my hair that was in front of my face, he tucks it behind my ear and continues. "I admit we might have come off on the wrong foot, but that doesn't mean I hate you."

Riven continues to play with my hair as he leans down closer to my face, with his lips just a couple of inches away from mine.

My breathing gets heavy as I feel my heart start to race.

"If you'd like me to be honest, I think you're very beautiful. That's why I wanted to keep my distance from you."

"W- Why would you do that?"

Riven lets out a sigh pulling his fingers away from my face and taking a step back and looks at me with disappointing eyes.

"Because I don't get myself involved with relationships, Violet, and the last thing I'd want is to hurt Chloe's niece."

My eyes widen at Riven's words, the elevator doors open and he looks at me one last time before stepping out. I follow behind him as he takes his keys from the front desk security and heads towards his black sports car sitting in front of the building.

He looks back at me as I watch him closely, he gives me a warm smile before getting into the car and driving away.

His words pierced my heart but it was starting to make sense, every time I got closer to him the further he got. And the one time he got close to me, I found out why he would much rather keep his distance.

Riven was hiding a secret and it was one that was able to keep a very big space between the both of us.

There's no point in dwelling, I have other things to do.

I pull out my phone and looking at Google maps, I find the address I had saved and walk in the direction. I had been offered a position at a prestigious company and was meeting with the chairman, so the last thing I needed was to be late.

***

Arriving at a giant glass building that almost touched the clouds.

Wow! I can't believe I might actually be working here.

I hurry in and am faced with the beautiful interior filled with white furniture, sparkling grey walls, and black marble floors. I walk up towards the front desk where a beautiful woman with long flowing blonde hair and blue eyes, warmly greets me.

"Hello, miss," she says soft-spoken. "Welcome to Danton Enterprises, can I help you with something?"

Danton? Is that the apartment's name too?

"Um y- yes," I stutter. "I'm here to meet Mr. Christopher Danton."

I pull out my phone showing the woman my confirmation, she reads it carefully while typing into her computer.

"Ah yes, Miss Violet Lightwood," she says reading the screen. "The chairman is up on the 50th floor, you can take that elevator on your right and it'll take you straight up without any stopping."

She points to the right and I see a guard standing beside the elevator, it was blocked off with a red rope and clearly was only for important people. I walk over as he pushes the button open and he opens the rope for me to pass.

Before I knew it the elevator shuts and shoots straight up, I thought for sure I would barf considering how fast it was going.

When the door finally opens I stumble out and fall to my knees feeling a bit dizzy.

Okay... next time I'm taking the stairs.

As I catch myself I see a pair of loafers standing before me. I look up to a much older-looking man standing in front of me holding out his hand, I take it and he helps me stand up.

"Are you alright?" He says in a deep husky tone of voice.

"Y- Yes, thank you."

"I assume you're the one that I'm meeting with, correct?"

"You're... oh my gosh!" I step back and bow at him. "It's a pleasure to meet you, sir!"

He chuckles at my greeting and pats me on the head, it somehow felt familiar and made me smile as the thought of Riven came into my head.

"Step into my office Miss Lightwood," he says, stepping aside and gesturing to me to go into his office.

"Okay."

The chairman's office was just as stunning as the lobby, he clearly had a great sense of style. He sits down at his desk and I sit in the chair in front of him feeling more nervous than ever.

He pulls out a file from his draw and opens it quickly scanning it over as I sit in front of him shaking my leg.

"Your credentials are incredible Miss Lightwood," he says as he continues reading things over. "It would truly be an honor to have you a part of my staff here, however, the job you've applied for isn't... Well, easy."

"What do you mean?" I say confused. "I applied for an assistant job, is it really that complicated?"

"The assistant job isn't what's complicated," he says closing the file and looking at you. "It's the person you'll be the assistant for."

I tilt my head wondering who could be so complicated to make the chairman warn me about them. He stands up turning his back to me and looking out the window before continuing.

"You see the reason why this job has been open for a while isn't that no one applied, it's actually because they weren't able to deal with my son."

"Your son?"

He looks back at me. "Yes, he's not much of a fan of people if I had to be completely honest."

"I don't think it's going to be much of a problem," I stand up confident. "I have this neighbor who wasn't the easiest to deal with either, but we're starting to get along and I think I could do the same with your son."

The chairman gives me a smirk. "Is that so?"

The door opens behind me as I hear someone enter the room, the chairman looks behind me and crosses his arms.

I turn around and my eyes widen immediately.

No freaking way!

"Miss Lightwood I like you to meet your new boss and my son, Riven Danton."

Please vote by tapping your screen and clicking the star in the bottom left corner if you're enjoying this story! ☆♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 88.6K 52
"Get the hell out of my room", he shouted as soon as I entered his room. Is he for real? How can he be this peaceful when I'm not able to sleep a win...
107K 5K 69
"Look I lost my job today and I'm really not having a good day, and to be quite honest I'm sick of rich fucks like you parading your egos around. So...
7.5K 137 30
"I'm not scared of you, I'm scared of history repeating itself" I whispered out. He grabbed my chin to make me look him in the eye, "I didn't hear yo...
261K 9.9K 51
I was roughly brought into my room and dropped into my bed.I was burning with anger. "Where were you?", asked my mad dog husband."I'm out ",I said. "...