Crash Landing on You - Edelwe...

By IndigoMusings

Edelweiss Diaries tells the story of Jeong Hyuk and Se Ri from the time Jeong Hyuk is sent back to NK by SK N... More

Prelude
Part 1 - A Long game
Part 2 - Thorny regrets
Part 3 - The wrong train
Part 4 - Old knots
Part 5 - Shadows of the past
Part 6 - Near and far
Part 8 - Road to nowhere
Part 9 - Everything and nothing
Part 10 - Land of dreams
Part 11 - One step at a time
Part 12 - Though the darkness
Part 13 - Downturn
Part 14 - Hard conversations
Announcement - Amadeus
Part 15 - Revelations
Part 16 - New beginnings
Part 17 - Forever entwined - I
Part 18 - Forever entwined - II
Part 19 - Counting down time
Part 20 - Homecoming I
Part 21 - Homecoming II
Part 22 - Homecoming III
Part 22 - Homecoming IV
Part 23 - A family affair - I

Part 7 - Beginning of the end

4.2K 123 16
By IndigoMusings

Three months later...

The Ex. Company 5 Battalion members, now part of Unit 180, continued to churn out reports of any chatter they heard on the dark web. Kwang Beum and Chi Soo helped to piece the picture about important missions that were being commissioned.

Jyeong Hyuk anticipated that the power struggle for his father's position wouldn't end with the Military Director's death. There were others behind the scenes and were only emboldened with the news of him crossing over to South Korea. Despite his impulsive move being covered up as an RGB mission gone wrong, the involvement of the SK NIS officials and the Military Director's execution left others digging for skeletons. 

Positioning himself in the CMC gave him access to information and authority to keep tabs on those who vied for his father's office. However, working with General Ri Myung Su also meant he was open to attack when all of his steps were under scrutiny. There was a constant countdown in his head and he understood it was just what his father must have felt over the years to watch out for him. 

"There has been nothing about your father," Ju Mok announced to the group assembled at his apartment.

"Ri Myung Su Dongmu's peers and sub-ordinates are also focused on the Summit and we don't see them meeting anyone outside of the ordinary," Chi soo, added. 

The upcoming summit with China through the External Economic Committee, to re-negotiate trade relations also governed the routes that dealt with arms exports. In-turn the indirect involvement had everyone from the CMC on their toes. 

"I'll be heading to Macau, to work with the Chinese officials and prepare the agenda for the summit." Ri Jyeong Hyuk, informed the group. "I will leave next week. General Ri Myung Su Dongmu will not be joining me."

Eun Dong intervened, as Jyeong Hyuk got to his feet. "You might want to see this," he handed a printout of an article. "Se Ri Dongmu is getting an award from the SK government." Smiling, Ri Jeyong Hyuk filed the paper along with the other reports he'd gotten from them. It had become something of a habit to reserve anything to do with Se Ri for his alone time and he was beginning to look forward to it. 

"Keep an eye out especially if nothing seems out of place," he turned around, sensing an odd intuition that his team needed the reminder. "You will have to think on your feet and seek allies if we are unable to get in touch," he paused for emphasis. "Just like the games you used to play." 

"Ri Jyeong Hyuk Dongmu, careful with the COVID-19 outbreak." Kwang Beum sounded concerned. He nodded in response before stepping out to return home.

In contrast to the fact that many wanted their family expunged, he hadn't found any evidence of foul play, which made him overcautious. No matter the measures he had in place, his instincts told him that he would have to wait for the chips to fall in place before he would know their game. There was a chance that it might be too late to take action, but he had no choice but to wait. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the flight to Macau, he couldn't stop reliving the moments he'd read and re-read the article Eun Dong had given him.

The SK government was felicitating Se Ri for her thoughtfulness to recycle torn and worn-out clothes and repurpose them for children in need. It appeared that she'd begun the project a few months after their separation. The interview mentioned that she reached out to her upper-class friends to begin collecting lightly worn clothes that needed minor repair. The investment from Se Ri's choice was only on the personnel, real-estate and logistics front, to fix and distribute the clothes. In addition to being environment-friendly, the mended garments had a personal touch - she re-branded them as 'Well-loved by Se Ri," with a stitched on Red heart in places where the tear was patched.

Just as the red heart she'd stitched over the rip in his uniform jacket, left by the gunshot.

Without a doubt, he knew that the gesture wasn't a message to him. It's just who she was. He smiled recollecting the picture in the article, which showed Se Ri surrounded by children from around the world wearing 'Well-loved by Se Ri' outfits, while her face beamed with never before experienced joy.

Seeing Se Ri extend herself to build and uplift communities made his chest swell with pride. As the hum of the airplane drew him into sleep, he was thankful for the small role his accident had played in inspiring her pursuits. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jyeong Hyuk placed his carry-on at the scanning counter, to finish the final check before leaving the secure area. He stepped to the other side waiting for the security personnel to complete studying the X-ray image of his briefcase.  

When it took longer than intended, he drew his phone out to insert the international SIM that he would need in Macau. However, that same instant, someone yanked his arm from behind. 

Oddly the flow of time slowed and he eyed his phone fall to the ground; the cracks spreading like that a spider's web across the glass. "You will have to come with us," another man held his free hand. 

"Tell me what's going on," Jyeong Hyuk enquired in Cantonese. 

In spite of his repeated urging, there were no answers. Instead, he was taken to a room meant for detainees or air traffic offenders. 

Another few hours passed before two officials in plainclothes showed up. He could tell from their unembellished trench coats leveraged by most countries' intelligence teams, this was serious business. From the heavy set of files they threw onto the table, he was also certain he would be locked in with them for a while. 

"State your name, nationality, and purpose of visit," ordered one of the bald officials. 

Ri Jyeong Hyuk co-operated by offering them responses in great detail. 

"I'm here to meet with General Liu Xibin's staff who'll be working with me on the agenda for the Economic summit between NK and China" he spoke with vehemence. "You will have to tell me more if you want to hear more," he issued deciding to hold his silence thereon.

The two men looked at each other. One of the officers sighed. "We found a vial with an unidentified white liquid in your briefcase. It's being tested as we speak. Care to tell us beforehand what the reports will reveal either way?"

Jyeong Hyuk took a deep breath. Careful not to show his anxiety, he averted his gaze to a dirty corner of the ground.

"Were you planning to get to General Liu Xibin through his staff?" The other office threw a file towards him. "You are scheduled to meet with his staff only. General Liu Xibin's calendar shows no direct meetings with you." 

As the officers stacked their questions, he could hear the sounds of nails being driven into his coffin. A conspiracy to kill a Chinese high-official on their home territory, at a time when the two countries needed to re-negotiate trade deals only meant his country would soon declare him an enemy of the state or something along those lines. 

It was clear as the light of day that this was the moment he had been waiting for. Nonetheless, he didn't expect the game to unfurl on international grounds, one where both his father or his uncle didn't have jurisdiction and cannot come to his rescue. Kudos, he thought, to whoever was behind the attack. It no longer mattered who was out for his blood, when there was less than a percent chance he was going to survive the charges. 

For once, he was glad she wasn't involved; even relieved that he had redeemed himself for all the times he kept her away from his life this last year. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It can't be." Ju Mok repeated endlessly into his headset. "It cannot be Ri Jyeong Hyuk Dongmu they arrested."

Eun Dong looked pained and began to search for other information on the dark web. The news about an NK officer being arrested over a conspiracy plot to kill a Chinese official wouldn't be public unless there was something to be gained from it, at least by one of the countries. 

"I have the report that was sent from the state department to Macau intelligence." Ju Mok, ran to the printer.

"Does it even make sense?" Chi Soo gathered behind Ju Mok, "It says that the initial screening image didn't reveal any suspicious items in his brief." He read out for everyone's purpose. "The image doesn't show anything," he said pointing an X-ray image of a briefcase.

"They are making a case that Ri Jyong Hyuk Dongmu acted of his own accord and that the state is not behind him." Kwang Beum shook his head in denial. "Could it be that they slipped the vial into his bag after dongmu cleared security?"

"If it was during the flight-time to Macau then we cannot get to any security footages." Eun Dong added.

"We have to retrace his steps," Kwang Beum declared rubbing his forehead trying to list anything he might be overlooked. "Get hold of everything. Videos, Images, Passenger checklists anything you can get your hands on."

"In the meantime, I'm going to get the word to Director Ri and help with whatever he needs." Chi Soo issued in urgency. "Keep me posted," he called to them and ran out the door. 

Though the four men had been stunned to inaction in the small Pyongyang apartment, it became clear that Ri Jyeong Hyuk had long foreseen the debacle that would befall them in how he positioned them to help him. The Ex. Company 5 Battalion members had assumed they would only have to be his ears and eyes across other divisions. They had been frustrated over the extreme caution Ri Jyeong Hyuk had employed during the instances he contacted them. Publicly he maintained they weren't connected by any measure since the DMZ event. However, considering the news of his arrest, it became clear to them that they weren't merely called to eavesdrop on his adversaries. It was now apparent that he trusted the four men to save his life if need be. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Se Ri stood next to her Omma at the entryway of the hall where she'll be awarded shortly. 

"What's wrong?" Her mother prompted. "You should smile for the cameras."

A row of flashes went off. She managed a smile with some effort. "Do you remember the picture of me hugging him that the paparazzi shot at the hospital?" 

Her mother nodded. 

"I had that on my dresser." Se Ri was distraught over the recollection but still eased her face to show a little delight. "Earlier this morning, when I was trying to look for my blush, it fell and the glass broke into a hundred pieces."

"You are being silly." Her mother spoke in a dismissive tone.

"Normally," she started with a practiced glee, moving a strand of hair away from eyes, "I'm not someone who believes in such omens. But when it comes to Ri Jyeong Hyuk'shhi nothing is big or small." 

Briefly, her mother was reminded of the letter that Ri Jyeong Hyuk had left with her. Se Ri held a big smile and waved to the photographers. Not yet, she thought to herself and joined the celebrations that awaited her daughter. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me you are safe, Ri Jyeong Hyuk'sshi... I'm unable to get past this dread that I've been constantly feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

Tell me you are safely tucked away in your home in the outpost. 

Tell me that the ajhummas brought you meat and kimchi, while Eun Dong, Pyo Chi Soo, Ju Muk and Park Kwang Beum cleaned the front-yard. 

Tell me you are sleeping by the moonlight that streams into your bedroom... dreaming of me. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: Hang in there dongmus... I want you to trust me on this ;) If you liked the build-up vote and write me a note! The next part may be delayed by a few days as it needs some more research. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 503 5
Waves are constant, relentless against the harsh conditions of any storm, just as their love for each other Two fated souls find their way back to on...
14.1K 971 18
Seri discovered a secret from her husband, decided to take revenge but only leads to another misery Ri Jeong Hyuk unknowingly helped in aiding more m...
47.5K 1.7K 10
'Two weeks before leaving for Switzerland, Se-ri finds herself sick. She's claimed over by an unexpected wave of nausea every morning, and attributes...
35.6K 2.8K 37
Jeong-hyeok and Seri have maintained their love and commitment to each other, despite only being together once a year. But will they ever have the op...