CONSENT: Book 1 in The Danger...

By Rory1313

Imagine being awakened in the night and blindfolded then tied to your bed. Your body being ravaged in the dar... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 6
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45

Chapter 13

5.2K 137 10
By Rory1313

Saturday night

Okay so yeah, technically I lied. Natasha asked me if I was free that afternoon and I told her I had plans. Truth be told, I really needed some help shopping for a dress for David's stupid party. "Are you sure Kit?" Tash asked skeptically. "I mean you really don't know the girl." I told her one of David's sisters was loaning me a gown to wear. I figured it was plausible. Hell they were born into that shit and should have lace couture coming out of their asses. "I'm positive, we are the same size, it saves me time and trouble, and his mother shouldn't have anything negative to say about it. It's a win, win" A snarky voice sounded from behind Tash. "I still can't believe you agreed to that shit. Even if you are borrowing a dress I'd still take the shopping trip for your trouble." And there she was, the reason for my little white lie, Torie. Filing her nails with obvious irritation and looking bored beyond belief. I love her, I do, but she would have me in a hoe dress in a heartbeat. I just didn't have the time or the patience for an argument today. I had already decided to drag my brother along. At least I knew he'd help me keep it conservative enough to not embarrass myself.

"Seriously, I'm all set, thanks though. You guys go enjoy your afternoon." I said, purposely ignoring Torie's commentary. "And you, stay out of trouble back there." I called out to Torie over Natasha's shoulder. Torie smiled but flipped me a middle finger before popping her chewing gum. "Bye slut, hit us up later if you wanna get out.." She wiggled her eyebrows before turning her attention back to her nails. Tash rolled her eyes. "Alright, if you're sure..... Will you

text me a pic of the dress at least?" she asked. "Yes mom." I shook my head as Tash playfully slapped my arm. "Hey now, you know that's practically foreplay babygirl." Her face reddened but her breath hitched. I laughed internally. She is a very sexual creature. Innuendo and insinuation is all it takes to get her mind in the right place if that's your goal. Having slept with the chick I have to say, if given the chance I highly recommend the ride. She is incredible in bed, I shit you not. The girl has skills. But that's a tale for another day. "Alright, well call me if you change your mind okay." Tash stated, pulling me from my thoughts. "You got it babe." I give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek before heading out to my car.

Just perfect. When I pulled into my driveway no one else was home. How can six people live in one house and not one other person be at home? I tossed my keys on the table in the foyer and kicked my shoes off in the living room. Pulling out my cell phone I text my brother. Tossing my phone on the coffee table I went into the kitchen to grab some water. It's only a little after one so I still had plenty of afternoon left for shopping. I grabbed some bread and went back in the fridge, deciding to make a sandwich. I know David and Ethan both had classes this afternoon. As far as I know though Xavier's schedule was clear. Wrapping my sandwich in a paper towel I picked up my drink and took it back into the living room. I turned on the television and flipped mindlessly through channels. Finally, coming across something that seemed remotely tolerable, I threw the remote back on the table. I tried to call Xavi but got his voicemail. What the hell? This just screwed my plan to shit.

"Hey Kit." I jumped up, trying to catch the heart that leaped right out of my chest. Thomas was standing in the hallway coming from his bedroom. "Holy Shit!!" I yelled, clutching my pounding chest. He was laughing, watching me with his brows furrowed. "Are you alright?" Seriously?? "Fuck no I'm not alright! You scared the hell out of me. I didn't know anyone was here." I sat back down but my whole body was on alert and my heart was still trying to slow to a regular pace. Once you're truly scared it takes your body a little bit longer to recover than your mind. Thomas came over and sat next to me on the couch. "Why are you home anyway?" I ask. He looks at me confused. "Why is that so odd?" he asked. "You are just out all the time, just strange to see you around I guess." I answered. I picked up my phone and checked it for a text, even though I would have heard one come in. I guess we all do that. "What's wrong, you okay Kit?" he asks with genuine concern in his voice. "I'm just irritated, I can't reach Xavi and I need his help with something." Now his facial features reflect that same concern. "Can I do anything? I'd be happy to help. Unless this is a brother only problem. If that's the case I completely understand."

"Brother only problem?" I laughed. "No, it's not. It's not really something most guys would wanna do. Hell he won't want to do it either but he will." Now his curiosity is piqued. "Okay, now I have to know." He settles into the couch and rests his elbow on the back using his hand to prop up his head. "I need him to help me pick out a formal dress for tomorrow night." Once I said it I waited for him to flinch. To my surprise his face lights up. "Is that all?" he laughs. He jumps up and picks up my shoes, tossing them in my lap. "Well let's go then." He starts down the hall back to his room. "What? Hey, where are you going?" I called after him. "Relax Lil'Bit" he chuckles as he walks toward me from his bedroom door. "I just grabbed my wallet. Are those shoes on yet?" I look down and slip my feet back in my sneakers, wiggling my heels in to avoid undoing the laces. I look up when Thomas clears his throat. The door is open and he motions toward the front porch. "Do you want help or not? If you do then grab your keys and shit and let's hit it."

Twenty minutes later we pulled up at the plaza. It's one of those uppity outdoor shopping centers you find in rich areas of town. It's full of designer name brand stores as well as small unique boutiques. I had my reservations about this idea from the moment Thomas and I got into my car. I mean seriously, I barely know this guy. Why would I think he would be the one to help me in this situation? I'll tell you why, because he has an eye better than other people, male or female, I have ever looked at clothing with. Even though it took a few stores and a couple of hours to find "the one" every dress fit like a glove. Every single one of them flattered my body in some capacity. While some may have been tight, or short, or revealing, they looked amazing on. He has an incredible eye.

"That's it Kit. I think that's the one. How does it feel?" I turn to the tri-fold mirror, taking in my reflection from every angle. The full length A-line dress almost touches the floor. The bodice is fitted and the back drops low, slightly below the waist. A shimmery emerald green silk with spaghetti straps that sets off my skin tone and blonde hair perfectly. Even I have to admit I look amazing. "I love it. Seriously, it is absolutely perfect Thomas. You should totally become a personal shopper to celebrities or some shit." He laughs at me. "I'm not joking, you are really good at this." After a few more turns and glances I finally change out of the dress and back into my clothes. We checked out and with my giant garment bag in hand made our way to the parking lot.

I finally heard back from Xavier right as we pulled into our driveway. "Seriously?!" I look at my phone clearly irritated. "What? What's wrong?" Thomas asked. "My pussy ass brother, that's what. I tried to reach him earlier and he just now answered my text. Apparently he's with Reese and that's why he didn't answer me. Stupid prick." Thomas laughs as he unlocks the front door. "I don't get what he sees in that chick. She's too much drama. Ain't no pussy that damn good." Thomas says as he heads into the kitchen. "I'm grabbing a soda, you want something?" he asked. "Yeah, a bottle of water would be great, thanks." I met him as he came out and grabbed the water on my way to the stairs. "Thanks again for all your help man. You have no idea how much of a headache you saved me from." He smiles and gives me a side hug. "Any time Kit, I'm starting to see you like my own sister. Anything you need babe just let me know." He pulls me in and plants one of those overly dramatic brotherly kisses on my forehead. He even went so far as to add the "mmmwaahhh" sound effect. I roll my eyes and take my dress up to my room.

A short time later I was showered, lotioned, and dressed. I applied delicate but still obvious makeup complete with fake eyelashes, and styled my hair in one of those fancy updos. I am wearing a simple pearl necklace with matching single drop pearl earrings and a pearl bracelet. I spritz on a little perfume, careful not to get any on my silk dress. Once I slip my feet into my open-toed strappy heels, I take another look in my full-length mirror. I do not look like myself at all. But I can't deny I look pretty damn hot! Hearing the television and murmuring of voices as I approach the top of the stairs, I instantly know the boys are home.

"Wow.....you look...." David's words trail off as I raise my eyes to his. He is standing on the landing a few feet away. He looked amazing as his long blonde locks were swept back in a low ponytail. His jet black suit was crisp and cut to fit him like a glove. His blue eyes seem to sparkle as they travel over me from head to toe. "Just...stunning Katya...absolutely stunning." I feel a blush rise in my cheeks as I smile, lowering my eyes. "Thank you, you look really handsome as well." I take a deep breath, clearing my head before making eye contact again. "So, are we ready to do this?" He smiles and chuckles slightly as he puts his hands in his pockets. "Truth?" he asks. "Truth." I respond with a half-smile. He sighs heavily as he walks towards me and takes my hand. He nods his head as he says "No." I giggle as I shake my head and respond "Well then, so am I."

Hand in hand we descend the stairs and find our rowdy roommates in the living room. "Damn KitKat, who knew a real chick lived in there." I scowl at a laughing Ethan. Xavi wacks him across the back of his head knowing I can't reach him to do it myself. "Ow man, fuck!" Ethan sits up rubbing his head and giving my brother a questioning look. "You look beautiful baby sis, mom would be in tears if she saw you." Xavier is all smiles. Until he turns his eyes to David that is. "As for you, you better remember two words tonight...Baby Sister...you got that dipshit?"He points a finger at David for emphasis. "Xavier!!" I called out before turning to David. "I am so sorry." David, though, is full-on laughing. "No worries man, I may have the most beautiful woman at the party on my arm but I value my balls enough to keep them in my pants bruh."

"You look great Kit, have fun tonight." Marc says. He kisses my cheek on his way toward the kitchen. Thomas hasn't said a word but the smile on his face says it all. I leaned over the couch and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Thank you so much, you really are the best." I kiss his jaw, complete with 'mmwwaahh' sound, leaving a lipstick print behind. "Anything for you doll, have a good time. Don't do anything I wouldn't do." I cut my eyes at him as I pulled back, not completely letting him out of my embrace. "That leaves me with way too many open options, you know that right?" He puts his finger to his lip and slips me a wink.

I stand up and David is already waiting by the door. As we say goodbye and step outside I am surprised to see a black limousine waiting at the curb. I turned to David, feeling somewhat excited: "A limo? Really?" The look on his face is bordering on irritation. "Apparently, yes..." I follow him down the driveway where the driver waits holding the backdoor open for us. David waits for me to slide in before entering himself. "I take it you didn't get this yourself." I wait, knowing his answer could either come out vague and detached or as an angry full-on blow-up. After a moment he chose the latter.

"No, as a matter of fact I didn't. This would be all Monica through and through. She knows I hate this shit. It's bad enough I have to go to these stupid functions but then I have to go in a limo or a Rolls or some stupid shit. Always with a chauffeur. I just hate showing off just for the sake of it. I get it, we have money. So the fuck what, doesn't mean we have to flaunt it all over the fucking place!" His face turns red as his voice rises. The veins in his neck and forehead pulse and he clenches his fists at his sides. I sit quietly, unsure what to say or even if I should contribute any input at all. After a few moments he seems to come out of his thoughts and looks at me apologetically. "I guess I should give you a little run down of my family and what you should expect tonight."

"I'm sure both of my sister's will be there, my older sister Gibby and my younger sister Mini. Gibby and I have a decent relationship. She's probably the one you will get along with. She's more like me I guess, but she's still a rich girl in some ways so don't drop your guard entirely." I must have a look of apprehension on my face because he reaches over and squeezes my hand. "Don't worry, I have no intention of leaving you on your own. That would be essentially throwing you in the lion's den." I breathed a sigh of relief. The longer we drive the closer we get and the more nervous I am becoming. "My younger sister is Mini. We call her that because she's basically a mini version of our mother. She's the one you have to watch out for. She does my mother's dirty work most of the time but with a sickeningly sweet facade. She will try to manipulate information out of you if given a chance and she is very good at it. She is also a master at passive aggressive behavior. She will call you a whore and you will find yourself thanking her for it long before you realize it's happening." My eyes widened. "Oh hell no!" It's out of my mouth instinctively. "Oh hell yes Katya, I've seen it happen."

"Now Monica, my mother, she is an enigma. She can change tactics on a dime. She knows how to read any situation and come out on top. No matter where she walks into an encounter or what her disadvantage may be she finds a way out every single time. It truly is remarkable and would be impressive if she wasn't constantly using the ability to decimate lives." I squeeze his hand that is still holding mine. He takes a deep breath before continuing. "Appearances mean everything to her Katya. She can and will do anything to protect her image and lifestyle. It doesn't matter who she has to destroy along the way."

"I gotta tell ya, you really gotta stop with all the hype. The more you talk everyone up the more I just can't wait to get this night underway." My sarcasm is not lost on him as he cracks a smile which I return, happy to have somewhat lightened the moment. "It sounds like a dream." I chuckle. "What about your dad? Any 4-1-1 that I should know about him?" He takes a deep breath and scratches the back of his neck before blowing out a long harsh breath. He reaches across to the side of the limo and opens a side panel pulling out two glasses and a bottle of scotch. I take the glass he offers me and sit quietly while he pours us both two-fingers.

"My father is hard to explain. He's a shrewd businessman, at times a tyrant, and completely void of emotional attachment. The man is a consummate liar. We tolerate each other." Wow. I find myself unsure what to say. I sip my scotch to fill the awkward silence. I glance over the rim of my glass and see him finish off his. He stares into the bottom of the glass. The look in his eyes is empty and unreadable. "David, I- " the door opens and his head turns as I speak. When did we get here? I never felt the car slow and turn into a driveway muchless stop. I throw back the last of my drink and place the glass on the side ledge. "Are you okay? Are you ready?" David asked, his face showing concern. I nod at him as I swallow the scotch. Sliding his way across the seat I motion for him to exit the car. He steps out then turns back to take my hand and help me to my feet. I stare at the house and my mouth falls open.

It is easily twice the size of David's. The wide concrete steps lead up to the porch to the large wooden double doors. There are actual torch lights around the porch and on either side of the door. David loops my hand through his arm and gives it a squeeze. As soon as we reach the door both sides open with a butler on either side. "Evening Master David." called the man on the left. "Good evening Randall '' he says to the man next to me on the right. "Good evening Branson." He gives a slightly stiff bough "Master David". Okay.....when the fuck did I step into, Downton Abbey?! I cut David a look. He smiles as his cheeks redden from his discomfort. The entryway leads to a giant staircase that breaks off in two directions going to the second floor. Both sides of the entryway lead to what appears to be setting rooms. It's hard to discern for sure because of the crowd of people flanking all sides of both rooms. I am in awe as my eyes flutter from one marble surface to the next.

"Well finally!" I feel David's arm tense under my hand. A tall statuesque woman in a long flowing evening gown glides toward us. Her blonde hair was pinned up in a chignon style and her blue eyes sparkled. "David darling, I was beginning to think you might not make it this year." She smiles at him, her voice sweet as honey. "Who do we have here dear heart?" Her eyes fell on me and even though her face remained unchanged her voice took on a slight chilliness. I notice she raised her chin just slightly giving her the opportunity to look down on me, literally. In this three second exchange I see exactly what David was trying to impress upon me about her. "This is my friend Katya Povlov, Katya this is Monica Foster, my mother." I reach my hand out toward her and she glances at it before her eyes travel back to mine. "It's nice to meet you Mrs. Foster '' I said, smiling at her. "Yes,well.... Thank you Miss Povlov. Please excuse me for a moment won't you, I simply must greet a few new arrivals. We will talk again a little later. Please mingle, and enjoy." With that she gave David's arm a small squeeze before stepping away.

Did she seriously just thank me when I said it was nice to meet her? Who the hell does that? "I'm sorry Katya." I turn to see David's worried expression. "Don't apologize, you didn't do anything. That was just the .....strangest introduction....." We both laughed and a layer of the built-up tension seemed to melt away. "I guarantee that was nothing compared to what happens later." My smile instantly drops as my heart thuds in my chest. "What the hell happens later?" I ask, the concern more than obvious in my question. "I have no idea." Now I'm confused. "O.K. Then how do you know what can compare to something you don't know about or whether anything at all will happen?" I can't believe he followed that statement but by the smile on his lips I know he understood completely. "I know because in the history of my life, as far back as I can recall, there hasn't been one family drama free event in this house." I look at him skeptically. He raised his right hand. "I swear. It isn't an all out public display, they are too refined for that. But there will be some serious top shelf soap opera award winning drama to round out the night. It wouldn't be a true Foster family event without it. We all know it, that's why we are all on guard with one another. We are just waiting to see who's going to be the one to unleash it this time."

"Wow, and I thought being related to the Russian Mafia was hard." After a moment I turn to find David staring at me. His mouth is half open and his expression is one of complete shock. I lean close to him and look into his eyes before speaking. "It was a joke David, relax." I didn't realize he was holding his breath until that moment because he almost inhaled the room as relief rushed into him. "Jesus Katya, that was not funny." I on the other hand am chuckling like a mad woman. "Oh I don't know, I found it very entertaining." He shakes his head, smiling as he leads me through the crowd. Stopping occasionally to say hello and introduce me to various people I probably won't remember or ever see again.

"Champagne Miss?" a server pauses and offers me a glass from a large tray. "Thank you" I reply as I take one. The look of shock but delight on his face tells me that those words are few and far between when it comes to the staff in these walls. I just fill my mouth with the bubbly liquid when I am addressed from behind. "So, you are David's guest this evening?" I turned to find a woman that is a dead ringer for his mother only my age. I take a stab in the dark. "Are you Mini?" David is next to me but is in mid-conversation with another couple. His sister scoffs before she replies. "Only to family and very close friends... Yasmine Foster." She sneers at me and raises her eyebrow expectantly. I am a hundred percent sure her mother has already discussed me with her at length but in the spirit of the evening I play along. "Katya.... Katya Povlov." I forego the whole nice to meet you portion since it backfired on me earlier.

"Mini, I see you met Katya." David slips his arm around his sister and brushes a quick kiss over her cheek. Her face instantly changes into one of angelic sweetness. Wow, is everyone in his family completely bipolar? "Yes, she seems lovely." She bats her eyes in my direction before turning her attention back to her brother. "Have you seen mother yet?" David nods, "When we arrived but she had to excuse herself, duties of a hostess called." Mini nodded in understanding. "What about Gibby, she wanted to see you." She has somehow worked her way in between us, completely cutting me out of their conversation. It's as if David is oblivious. I grab another drink as the server passes by with the tray. Their conversation continues long enough for the tray to come around again, this is some damn good champagne. "I better go find Kenneth, I'll see you at some point tonight again before you go David." She turns to me with the same innocent smile as her mother. "I hope you enjoy the party Katherine." I know she did that on purpose. "It's Katya, Mini." David corrected her with a smile. "Oh I do apologize, such an unusual name." I return her fake smile. "Oh, we just met so I understand completely. I'm sure we'll talk again later,... Jasmine." Her eyes darken slightly, knowing I flubbed her name purposely. "Yasmine" she enunciated clearly. "Oops, my apologies," I stated, my eyes glowing.

I'm guessing he could feel the unease between us because David suddenly spotted Gibby in the crowd and told Mini we were going to say hello. Placing his hand on my lower back, he leads me through the throng of guests toward the back wall of windows. There stands an attractive blonde that had many of the same features as his mother and sister however her expression seemed genuine. She smiled brightly as we approached and hugged David in a true and warm embrace. After a moment she pulled back, holding him at arm's length. "Hey baby boy." His face turned pink at her term of endearment. "Hello sissy." "I'd like you to meet Katya Povlov." With a huge smile that reached her eyes she sought out my hand and gripped it tightly. "I am so happy to meet you Katya, I'm Gibby, David's older sister. I've heard a lot about you. No worries sweetie. All good things, I promise." She was so different from Monica and Mini. It was like night and day. "It's very good to meet you too Gibby, I've heard good things about you as well." She seemed delighted with my response. As she and David play catch up, I watch the champagne tray pass by. Part of me wants to grab another glass but the buzzed part of me wisely tells me to slow down. I notice the room feels a little warm around the time David asks me a question. "I'm sorry, what was that?" My eyes move between him and Gibby eliciting a slight giggle from Gibby that makes me smile. I really do find her refreshing in this den of lions. "Gibby would like to show me some contracts mother is trying to get her to sign while I am here, come, they are upstairs in the study. It shouldn't take long." I nod. "Sure, lead the way." Gibby's smile broadens considerably. "Oh thank you so much, I hate to impose on your evening but mother is really pushing and I could use another eye." She talks over her shoulder as she quickly leads the way through the crowd back to the entryway. Reconsidering my previous position, I grab another glass as I pass a drink tray near the doorway.

We ascended the stairs, David and Gibby in deep conversation concerning trust and inheritance and I followed about five steps behind. We turn to the left at the landing, continuing up the second flight of stairs. As we travel down a hallway I notice the whole wall on my right is glass, floor to ceiling windows with french doors mixed in here and there along the way. They all lead to one massive balcony that seems to stretch the entire length of the house. Mesmerized by the view, I apparently slow my pace and fall behind. David's voice, from down the hall, breaks through my mind-fog. "Katya, are you coming?" I look and see him way down at the end of the corridor. Still warm from the alcohol I call back to him. "Would it be alright if I step out here for a little air and wait? I'm just a little warm." He nods, "Sure, that's fine. I'll come to get you in a few minutes." He disappears into the last room on the left.

I walk along the wall and try a couple of doors before finding one that I could unlock. The night isn't cold but there is a breeze that helps cool my alcohol induced heat rush. I stand for a moment with my eyes closed and let the wind engulf me. As it stills, I make my way to the concrete wall. Setting my glass on the ledge, I lean my arms on the edge and scan the backyard area. I take in the Olympic size pool, tennis court, riding stable, and- "A little excessive isn't it." I jump, gasping and placing my hand over my pounding heart. My unexpected companion laughs heartily to my surprise. "I am sorry if I frightened you, that was certainly not my intention." I take a couple of deep breaths. "I didn't know anyone else was out here" I replied. "It was a little crowded and warm in there. I just needed a little break." he smiled and I melted a little. This man was gorgeous. He was refined yet dangerous at the same time. Something about him made you want to run from him yet run to him at the same time. He seemed to scrutinize my face momentarily before he spoke again. "I don't recall seeing you at one of these functions before." Feeling suddenly shy I drop my eyes to my feet. "I've never been here before." He sips his champagne. "Ah, well, that would explain that, wouldn't it." He smiled.

We stood silently for a few moments, both of us sneaking glances at one another until we both caught the other and laughed. "Won't your date be wondering where you are?" I boldly ask. I figured that was the best way to find out his status without completely making a fool of myself. "I highly doubt it." he replied and I felt my smile falter a little bit. "That would be impossible since I didn't bring one." I feel the warmth return to my cheeks and my smile becomes almost too big for my face. "What about you, surely someone is going crazy trying to find someone as stunning as you.'' His words and voice seemed to caress her deep inside her core, causing her to almost moan aloud. What the hell?

"Actually I came as a favor to a friend, purely platonic. He's meeting with someone at the moment and knows where I am." I have a sudden urge to reach out and touch this man. I take a drink of my champagne, doing something to occupy my hands. "I see, so a friend of the hostess or just involved with the charity?" he asked. "The son of the hostess actually." I laughed before taking another drink of my champagne. His silence unnerves me a little and I turn to find him looking at me differently, almost curiously. "You are here with David?" he asks. His handsome face looks even sexier when his mouth turns up in a half smile. "Yes" I breathe out in a low, almost moan. His eyes widen and darken at the same time. "Did you know your hair is the perfect shade of blonde that somehow shimmers in the moonlight?" He takes a step closer unconsciously. God, he smells good, I think as his cologne wafts my direction. What the hell is going on?

Stepping back I shake my head to clear it and break whatever this is. He seems to feel the same because I look up to find he is several steps away, halfway to the door. "Well, I thank you for your company. I usually end up spending a lot of time with my own thoughts at these affairs. This was an unexpected yet very pleasant twist to the evening. I hope you enjoy the rest of the party." He winked at me before turning and walking toward the french door that I left cracked earlier. "Hey wait, I didn't catch your name." He turns slightly in the doorway to look over his shoulder. I can only describe his expression as deliciously wicked. "That would be because I

never gave it, goodnight.....Moonlight." With that, he slipped quietly through the door and was gone.

By the time I walked inside and glanced down the hall David and Gibby were just exiting the study. David saw me and waved toward me with a smile. "Perfect timing" he states as he walks casually toward me. "Feeling a little better?" I smile slightly, my mind still on the recent stranger I met. "Yes, much better. Did you finish your paperwork?" Gibby speaks up, "I must apologize, sincerely. I didn't intend to steal David away and leave you alone." Her expression seems genuine but I honestly can't tell what's real with these people. "It's fine Gibby, really. As long as it is important I don't mind." She loops her arm through David's. "Shall we return to the guests? I'm sure Mother is looking for us and it's only a matter of time before she sends Mini looking." David offers his other arm to me and escorts the two of us back down to the party.

A couple of hours later I found myself sitting at the bar waiting for David.....again. It seemed he was needed at various places by various people throughout the evening. This seemed to occur at regular intervals. I'm not angry by any means but at the same time I don't see why he needed me to come. I haven't found one interesting person to hold a conversation with. Even the damn guy tending the bar seems stuck up. I even tried scanning the crowd for the mystery man from the balcony but I never spotted him again.

"Excuse me, would you mind if I sit here?" I look up to see an older gentleman in a very expensive suit with salt and pepper colored hair. He has a short scruffy beard and bright blue

eyes that shine when he smiles. "No, I don't mind. Please feel free." I motion to the seat beside me. He set his drink on the bar before sitting down next to me. "First time?" he asks. His husky voice dripped with innuendo. "Excuse me?" I replied, my eyes widening causing him to chuckle. "This...the charity event. I've never seen you here before and you aren't exactly socializing. So naturally I assume this is your first time attending." My face reddens at his explanation. "Right, well you are correct. I have never been to this event before" I admit. "Well, just between us.." he lowers his voice and leans into my ear "...you haven't been missing much." He sits back and smiles before picking up his drink and beginning to nurse it. "Oh I don't know, I've met a few decent people tonight." He scoffs. "If that were even remotely true, sweetheart the last place you'd be sitting would be in this corner, alone." I know he's right so a small suppressed laughter is my first response. "Okay, you got me there. Let's just say my experience in the social circle tonight has been less than stellar. But tonight isn't about me and expanding my friend list. I'm here for the charity. I don't really have to find a group of snotty ladies with sticks up their asses to embrace me in order to support it."

His laughter is boisterous and infectious, and I find myself chuckling along. "Well, consider me rightfully shown back to my proper place. My name is T.J. by the way, what is yours?" Is he trying to flirt with me? God, I hope not! "T.J. It's a pleasure." I offer my hand. "My name is Katya." Looking deeply into my eyes he takes my hand and brings it slowly up to his lips and kisses the back softly. "Katya, that's lovely, and I assure you the pleasure....at least for now, has been mine." His eyes travel the length of my body before settling back on my face.

"I see you made it. We weren't sure if we would see you." He rolls his eyes before turning to face Monica, David's mother. "You knew I'd make it Monica, stop being so damn melodramatic." He motions for another drink which is quickly placed in front of him. "I see you're not wasting any time tonight, straight to the alcohol and attitude." Monica leans on the bar, her lips pulled up as she sneers at T.J. "You are a piece of work, I only came over to tell you to take it easy. I will not have you embarrassing me tonight after you imbibe a little more than you can handle." He tosses back the remainder of his drink and picks up another the instant it is placed before him. "Monica I refuse to get into this shit with you. Honestly this is the last place I want to be. As a matter of fact I don't really care if people know about our separation. Truthfully it's time you get used to your delusions of the perfect image being shattered. I officially filed the divorce papers this morning. You should receive them this week. The only reason I came tonight was to tell you to your face. Now that I have done that there is really no point in staying." He turns to me and smiles. "It was really lovely to meet you Katya and I enjoyed having a drink with you. I am sorry you had to witness this little tantrum from my ex-wife."

"What the hell did you just say?" I see David as he approaches over his mother's shoulder. Her face is pale as she just stares at T.J. in shock and disbelief. "David, I was wondering if you were here tonight. How are you son?" David keeps his eyes locked on his father as he crosses to stand next to me. He places his hand on the small of my back causing T.J. to glance between the two of us before finally allowing his lips to curl into a smile. "Well isn't this an interesting development, so you are here with my son. Well done David, well done

indeed." He continues to eye me over the rim of his glass in a way that makes me slightly uncomfortable. "Well as entertaining as this has been I really must take my leave. Goodnight David and Monica, have your lawyer review the papers so we can schedule a meeting to finalize or discuss possible revisions."

I feel a twinge of pain in my chest for David's mother as her eyes brim with tears. David's body tensed as he noticed her expression and how she was trying hard to blink back her tears. His sisters are within earshot but haven't said anything. They seem shocked and unsure how to react. I feel completely out of place and would give anything not to have a front row seat to this chaos. T.J. put down his glass and walked toward the main entrance. He didn't glance back once.

The girls decided to dive head first into playing the perfect hosts in order to pull their minds from the events that just unfolded. Monica, on the other hand, quickly lost the battle with her tears. David snuck her upstairs where he sat in silence while she cried herself to sleep. I fell asleep on a chaise in her sitting area. I'm not sure how long I slept but it felt like no time before David was gently shaking my shoulder. "Hey....hey Katya.... It's time to go." Lazily I open my eyes and sit up. I look around genuinely confused for a minute before realizing where I am."Is she okay?" I whisper, indicating his mother. A sad, almost forlorn look shadows his features. "No, but she will be. She's resilient and will bounce back. She just has to process first." He holds out his hand to help me up. We quietly exit her suite to allow her to rest.

"So that was your father. He sat and had a drink with me long before your mother approached" I said. He pauses at the top of the stairs to look at me. "What did he say to you?" His tone was a little gruff. "N-nothing really, just small talk about the charity and how stuck up some of the people were here tonight. We were only alone a few minutes before Monica came up." He nods, then takes my hand and leads me down the stairs toward the front door.

We sit silently in the limo, David against one door while I'm practically against the other. After about ten minutes I just can't take the quiet any longer. "I think we should talk about what happened the other day." He doesn't respond. "Look, I understand your head is wrapped around bigger issues but I doubt we will have a better opportunity than this. I mean we have absolutely no chance of anyone hearing or walking in on us." He finally cracks a smile and his eyes flicker my way. "Yeah, you're right about that." I turned to face him. "I don't want things to be weird between us or to get confused in any way. Don't get me wrong, the kissing, everything that happened was hot. But..." He turned to face me and I lost my resolve, my words falling away. "But it shouldn't have happened." He stated with a smile. He reaches out and takes my hand. "Look, we both had a lot to drink and got caught up in a moment. It was nice, amazing really, but it doesn't have to change things. We decide what we want it to mean or not to mean." I feel my nerves sigh internally in relief. "I think we should just let it be David. I'm not ready for anything serious and I don't think you and I would be good at trying something casual."

"I agree, I'm not in the right place right now for anything romantic and while I don't regret it I can't see an "us" forming from it. I hope that didn't come out hurtful. I'm not always great with words." I reach up and cup his cheek. "No David, I'm honestly relieved that we are on

the same page. I've wanted to talk about it but didn't really know how to broach the subject." He just nods in agreement. "So it's settled then, we chalk it up to too much beer." I can't help but laugh. "Sounds like a good scapegoat to me." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.2K 785 77
I had a one night stand with the self-proclaimed businessman of Manhattan, New York. I have told myself it can't happen again, it just can't. I get t...
11.2M 266K 105
Harry Styles isn't my father, he's my stepfather. Well ex-stepfather. My mother married him when I was 18, she was 36 and he was 20. Totally gross r...
9.4K 108 14
Jake despised weak women, especially women who showed interest in him. A strong and independent woman was what could drive the beast in him, but ther...