The Assassin Princess

By darkdemon125

Calira is a government-sanctioned assassin. Trained her entire life to live in the shadows, she is but a name... More

Enter the Assassin
Enter the Crown Prince
The Coronation
The First Attempt
The First Night
The First Morning
The Vain Countess
Enter the Bodyguard
Wedding Woes
Sickness Spreads
Poison in the Veins
Aftermath and Preparations
Enter the Mentor
The Mentor's Return
A Courtly Visit
A Royal Disturbance
A Dastardly Plot
A Foolish Kidnapping
An Unexpected Turn
A Royal Panic
Alone and Scared
AUTHOR ANNOUNCEMENT

In The Gardens

5.1K 254 21
By darkdemon125

As Alaric stood in the Advisor Hall, he frowned. As his advisers talked about defense strategies and economic pitfalls, his mind drifted back to his meeting with his father. He instantly cringed when Calira’s actions returned to him.

“Your majesty?” One of the advisers called out for the new king and Alaric quickly shook himself of the psychosomatic pain that accompanied his memories of earlier that morning.

“What is it?” He growled. The advisers looked between themselves before they looked toward the page that stood at the door, waiting to be acknowledged. Alaric looked up at him and he cleared his throat.

“Your majesty, Countess Dubare wishes to take council with your fiancée, but I could not find her,” The page announced as Alaric groaned.

“Did you check her bedchamber?”  He asked as the page nodded.

“We also checked the library, the music room, and the kitchens, sire,” he replied as Alaric frowned deeper. He rubbed his eyes before climbing to his feet.

“Advisors, you’re released for the day. Apparently, I have to find my soon-to-be bride,” he announced as he exited the room with the page following close behind him. As the pair passed the open archways of the East Wing, a soft melodious laughter drifted from the gardens just outside the hallway. Alaric stopped as he listened to it. It was vaguely familiar, and strange all at the same time.

“Your majesty?”

“The gardens. Go get two guards and have them meet me in the gardens,” the King ordered as the page nodded and ran down the hall. Alaric followed the laughter into the gardens and quickly found Calira hidden among giant rose bushes and thick gardenia bushes. She was watching a small puppy chase its tail and tumble when it lost its balance. He stared at the scene as a sense of déjà vu swept through his body. Suddenly he remembered.

Alaric had been no older than 8 when he had met Calira for the first time. He had been running from his tutors and found solace in the over-grown garden. Laughter caught his attention and he followed it until he reached the center of the gardens where a young girl with thick blonde curls sat playing with a small dog. He recognized the dog instantly. It was Casings, the fox terrier. He belong to one of his mother’s ladies-in-waiting. He studied the girl from afar, wondering if she was the daughter of one of the ladies-in-waiting or a servant. She was pretty, he noted. Suddenly the dog caught a whiff of his scent and jumped up and chased him out of his hiding place. His presence startled the girl.

“Oh quiet down you useless mutt!” Alaric growled at the dog as it left him alone and returned to the girl’s side. She tilted her head to the side as she patted Casings’ head.

“Who are you?” She asked as Alaric stared at her.

“What do you mean who are you? Who are YOU?” Alaric replied as he folded his arms across his chest. He puffed out his chest as the girl frowned.

“I asked you first.” She responded.

“I’m Crown Prince Alaric! Heir to the throne! Who are you?” Alaric asked again as the girl shrugged.

“My name is Calira,” she answered. Alaric frowned.

“Are you a servant’s daughter?”

“No.”

“Are you the daughter of one of my mother’s friends?”

“No.”

“Whose daughter are you?”

“No one’s. I’m an orphan,” Calira’s answer stunned Alaric. She wasn’t dressed like the orphans he had seen at the Orphanages. She was wearing a light purple dress that was embellished with white, frilly lace. Her face wasn’t dirty. Her knees weren’t scratched up. Her hair was combed.

“Where do you live?”

“In the castle.”

“Where in the castle? I’ve never seen you before!” Alaric accused as Calira suddenly smiled at him.

“Do you want to play with me, Crown Prince? We could play pirates!” Alaric had stared at the girl before he too smiled. He instantly agreed at the thought of playing pirates. It was his favorite game.

Alaric frowned at the memory. That was before his mother had died and Calira had become an apprentice to an assassin. They had been friends until he had turned eleven. He froze when his foot slammed onto a twig, snapping it in two. The sound seemed to echo and he watched Calira go still as her hand moved to the dagger by her side.

“Who’s there?” She called out as Alaric sighed before stepping out from behind one of the large trees that surrounded the clearing.

“Oh, it’s you,” Calira mumbled as she instantly relaxed and returned her attentions to the brown puppy she had found cowering by the stone wall. It wasn’t very old, and Calira felt that someone had just abandoned it near the castle.

“Where did you find the dog?” Alaric asked as he stood away from Calira, wary of her.

“By the castle walls. I believe he was abandoned,” Calira answered with a shrug. Alaric watched her bared shoulders rise and fall with the action. He watched her handle the animal with care as she picked it up and it nuzzled against her bosom.

“You can keep it, you know,” Alaric suddenly announced as Calira looked up at him in mild surprise.

“What?” Her mouth was parted as she stared at him with confusion written across her pretty features. Alaric shrugged as he avoided eye contact with her. The way she acted almost reminded him of the girl she had been before she became a ruthless assassin. 

“The dog. You can keep him, if you wish. I think he would make a wonderful companion for you,” Alaric explained as he ran his hand through his own dark curls. Calira continued to stare at him. Silence filled the air around the both of them before a soft whine escaped the puppy in Calira’s hand. The dog looked up at her and she felt her heart melt at the sight. Alaric watched her features soften, her eyes light up, and a smile grace her countenance. He felt every particle in his body heat up as she let out a peel of laughter when the dog licked her cheek. Calira looked up at him and smiled.  In that moment, Alaric forgot that Calira was an assassin. In fact, he forgot almost all of her flaws. He could see himself marrying her, ruling with her by his side, raising a family with her.

“Sire!”

“Your Majesties!” The sound of the guards’ voices shook the couple out of their stupor. Calira’s light-hearted smile left her face and she clutched the dog to her chest before moving to her feet. Alaric tensed his back as his eyes landed on her chest when she rose. The low décolleté left little to his imagination when she was bent over. He frowned instantly at the thought. If he could see her creamy orbs, so could others. The thought brought jealousy and anger.

“Your grace!” One of the guards exclaimed once he found the pair. Mild relief swept through the guards as they looked over the King and his betrothed. Alaric watched their eyes linger on Calira’s form for longer than he felt was necessary.

“What took you so long?” Alaric growled as he folded his arms across his chest. He moved to stand between the guards and Calira, blocking her out of their view.

“We’re sorry, your majesty! The gardens are like a maze and all we were reaching were dead-ends,” the smaller of the two guards explained as Alaric scoffed at their excuse. Calira stepped up behind him; the puppy was being held firmly against her chest.

“The gardens were designed that way so they could be a solace for the royal family. If the royal guard can’t find the King, then an assassin probably couldn’t either,” she remarked as Alaric tensed from her close proximity. The guards nodded as Alaric cleared his throat.

“Which reminds me. Countess Dubare wishes to seek your council, Princess,” Alaric remarked as Calira frowned.

“How did any of what I said remind you of that?” Calira asked as Alaric smirked. Calira eyed him for a moment before realizing his train of thought.  She shook her head before walking past him.

“You can tell the Countess that I am unable to give council today or any other day for the rest of my natural life,” Calira replied as Alaric frowned.

“You cannot simply dismiss a prestigious member of our nobility, Calira!” He growled as he stomped after the blonde woman. The two guards looked at one another before quickly following after the feuding couple. They found the King’s interaction with his betrothed interesting.

“I am soon to be Queen. I can do whatever I please. And if I wish not to see or speak to someone, I think I’m allowed to do that. Do you not do the same to Duke Vincant?” Calira asked as Alaric rolled his eyes.

“That is not the same. You have no reason to avoid the Countess; I have a reason to avoid Vincant,” Alaric responded haughtily. Calira scoffed.

“What reason would that be? That you slept with his favorite mistress without asking him? And, just so you know, I do have a reason to avoid that harlot,” Calira rebutted as Alaric jogged past her before stopping in front of her, blocking her escape.

“And it is?”

“She’s slept with you. I may kill her if I am left alone with her.”  Calira replied easily with a soft shrug. Alaric felt his entire body grow rigid. Calira stared at him with her almond-shaped eyes that reminded him of endless blue skies. Her face betrayed nothing. She wasn’t embarrassed or being sarcastic. She said the words as if they were simply a fact.

“What does that have to do with you?” Alaric finally questioned as the two guards watched the scene from a few feet away. They remained quiet.

“If we are to be married, you will be my husband. Be warned. I do not share what is mine with anyone else.” Calira threatened as she finally pushed past Alaric and disappeared back into the castle. Alaric stared at the empty space where Calira once stood. He groaned before storming off to find his betrothed to make her recant her latest threat. The two guards smirked.

“I like her.”

“She’ll make a fine queen.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 358 57
Y/n is the queen of zemora, her term of 8 years is almost up of ruling for the kingdom as queen in a few months. When she's finished being queen the...
877 45 43
My fingers slid down his frangible ribs, subconsciously counting each one. I stared upon his scrawny figure. My hatred had quickly turned into guilt...
804K 29.8K 31
[Completed] Warning : The story is unedited. I apologize for the numerous grammatical errors within and messy storyline. *** After my death, I'm grat...
57.7K 3.3K 38
||𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫|| [𝐀𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬, 𝐝𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐮𝐬𝐭...] The princess of Niveus is cursed. Overflowi...