A Portion for the Soul

By WilhelmYork

The wise and popular Ms. Quma Wales. She holds the answers to life's deepest questions. Was she born special... More

Happy Birthday
Politically Incorrect
Sundays Lessen
Home Decorum
The Tides Are Turning
Cleave To What Is Good
Seal Of Approval
A Portion
For The Soul

Welcome Back

212 14 16
By WilhelmYork

The sunrays warm my closed eyelids, causing me to squint towards the opened drapes. I rise to a caress on my nude bottom. He stretches saying, "Good morning, sexy."

I remove his hand, smiling as I go to the window. I pull the drapes closed, yawning, "Sampson, it's late. You better be going."

He lifts his watch off the nightstand saying, "6:47 a.m. is late? Since when?"

"Since now! I'm on business, so you shouldn't even be here. Now go!"

He snatches me to him. Kissing, I pull away saying, "Let me prepare for this meeting baby. Now go!"

I met Sampson at last year's company's banquet. A colleague brought him as her date. Playing ill, he ditched her, then came with me. Sampson's tall, gorgeous, and simpleminded as my men are.

My company's quarterly meeting is here in New York for the week. I'm putting on make-up when I notice a blemish on my neck. A blemish? I flip the mirror over to examine it. Strange. It looks to be a tiny mole. I rummage through my make-up bag to find concealer and add a dab over it.

The meeting started at 9 a.m. it's now lunch break. I go to stand, and my knee buckles. Stumbling, the man next to me grabs my arm chuckling, "Are you okay?"

Humiliated, I answer, "Yes. I'm fine."

Smiling yet snatching my arm away, I hurry to the company car waiting to take me to lunch. I enter to my favorite coworkers, Nathan, Tieg and Macy. Once I'm seated Nathan says, "Hurry old lady! I'm ready to get my drink on!"

Everyone laughs, but I'm in my head trying to figure out what's going on with me today. We're seated at our table when Tieg asks, "So what are we doing for your birthday, beautiful?"

I pause and glance around the table. Macy and Nathan are staring my way. I swallow the food in my mouth asking, "Who? Me?"

Nathan bursts into laughter, "Quma's going crazy. Girl, yes you!"

Macy joins in, laughing loud, but Tieg is smirking with a concerned expression. I've been wanting to sex Tieg forever, but he's a God-fearing man, married, with two small boys, who are stunning. His wife is as sweet as candy, but week by week I've been seducing him. I'm confident this business trip I will make him yield to my desires. We're now gazing into each other's eyes when he asks, "Quma are you all right?"

I chuckle saying, "Gotcha! I have planned nothing in particular. I'm open for suggestions."

"Yep, she's lost her mind. Today's your birthday crazy lady! As usual, Tieg has to hide in his room before his wife calls, but you planned Portside Bay. ...What's up with you? Did you cancel and not tell everyone?" asks Nathan.

"Shut up Nathan, I'm going!" Tieg scoffs.

Squinting, I peek at my phone to view today's date. It's February 13. I let out a loud sigh. Tieg takes my hand whispering, "Are you sure you're okay, Quma?"

I simply nod. The workday ends, I get to my hotel room, not five minutes in, there's a light tap at my door. Peeping through the peephole I see it's Tieg. Perplexed, I open the door. He asks, "May I come in?"

"S-Sure." I stutter.

I close the door and turn his way. He caresses my face. He kisses me. Now kissing back, I push him away saying, "Tieg what are you doing? You're married!"

Guilt grips him. Voice quivering he says, "I-I'm sorry." He immediately leaves.

I stand in the middle of my room, numb. What in the world is wrong with me? I've been hoping, wishing, and dreaming of this day for months. My conscience is overtaking me. I'm relieved I did the right thing, but why? I've always prided myself for behaving conscienceless. I hate these righteous rules and moral laws that the majority fraudulently try to uphold.  

My emotions cause me to remember my father. He was a righteous man. People honored him, but I hated him. He filled my childhood with so many rules. Then there's my mother. What a pansy. She wasn't his wife, but his handmaiden in my eyes. Wherever we went, be it church, school, family functions, anywhere, my parents were the perfect couple. Perfect Mr. and Mrs. Wales, who raised six perfect children. And if I'm honest, they were perfect, but not my idea of perfection.

I've always preferred the dark side. My parents, church, and siblings always attempted to deride me, but their so-called convictions never affected me. The motto I live by is do as you will. I discovered that quote online, I believe. Soon I decided that was the only way to live. Today, I don't view things that way. It's then I try to recall the last time I spoke to my parents. Scrolling through my cellphone's contacts, I search for mom, mama, mother. I find nothing. I search dad, daddy, father, pops, parents. Still nothing. Huh? I scroll my entire contacts for a sibling, uncle, aunt, anyone, and find nothing. Now I'm weirded out.

The conference ends. I return to my home in Michigan. The inside has teakwood floors, black furniture, drapes, and blinds. My walls are black with white crown molding. My light wattage is low. Why is my home so dark?

The next morning I go out and buy white and Tiffany Blue drapes and accessories to brighten it. I even order a Tiffany Blue ottoman and chair. I'm now looking for a more modern bedroom set when my phone vibrates. My screen reads, Accountant Tandy. I answer, "Hello?"

"Good morning, Ms. Wales. This is your accountant Tandy Johnson. I've noticed you've spent over $6,000 this morning. Is everything okay?"

"Good morning, Tandy. Yes, all is well. I woke up and decided I needed to remodel. By any chance, are you acquainted with any home designers?"

"U-Uh no, but I can ask around..."

"Thanks, Tandy, goodbye."

"Uh oh, okay, Ms. Wales..."

I hang up the phone smiling and feeling good. I haven't felt good in a long time. My phone vibrates again. It's Sampson.

"Hey, baby. What's up?"

"What's up? You missed your own birthday party! Where are you? The concierge said you checked out at 4 a.m. What's going on with you, Que?"

"Honestly Sampson, I don't know. ... Hey, have you ever met my parents?"

"The religious devils that put you up for adoption at birth? Uh, no. And neither have you! What drugs are you on baby?" He scoffs.

"My parents didn't put up for adoption. What?"

"Baby, where are you? I need to see you. You're scaring me."

I mumble, "I'm home. ...Hey, let me call you back."

I hang up, dazed. "Miss, will that be all?"

Startled, I look up at the saleswoman wide-eyed. I answer, "Yes! Yes, thank you."

"Mhmm." She grunts as she scans my purchases.

I drive home deep in thought. Where on earth did Sampson get that foolish information? I pull up into my driveway, and my phone vibrates yet again. The screen reads, Attorney Lexus. I answer, "Hello?"

"Delightful afternoon, Ms. Wales. This is Attorney Lexus. How are you?"

"I'm well and you?"

"I'm great, now hearing your voice. You sound incredible, Ms. Wales."

"Thanks. Why's a lawyer calling me?"

"Oh? Well, no one's heard from you or your estate in decades, Ms. Wales. We're all quite shocked, to be honest. The last transaction you made was on July 28, 1969."

I chuckle, "W-What? I'm nowhere near 50-years-old! I was born ..."

My mind goes blank. When was I born? "Hello, Ms. Wales? Are you still there?"

"When's my birthday, Mr. Lexus?"

"Pardon me? ...Wait, hold on, let me check your files."

He puts me on a brief hold. He returns saying, "Yes, Ms. Wales. Your birthday is February 13, 1876? Wait, that can't be correct. That must be who established your family's estate. Hold on."

I sit on the phone, breathing. He returns somberly saying, "Um, there's been a horrible error. The year 1891 is when your family's estate got established. My firm must've mixed up your files with an ancestor's. I'm assuming they named you after her. Please give me two days, and I promise I'll have everything figured out. Is there anything else you need, Ms. Wales?"

"No. You called me, remember?"

He laughs, "Yes. You are correct. Well again, it's great to hear from you. I'll talk to you in a few days. God Bless."

"G-God Bless." I stammer out as I end our call.

I wake up bright and early, gazing out into the woods. Removing these ghastly black drapes, I allow the brightness of the snow and sun to fill my secluded home with light. After my coffee's brewed, I sit in the kitchen and call my best friend Elly.

"Hey, Que. How was New York?"

"Basic."

"Did you sex your guy?"

"Yes. Sampson was there."

"Not Sampson, Mr. religious, that you like so much."

"Oh no, no. I found out he's married."

"Bitch he's been married! But what do you care? What does marriage mean to people like us?"

"People like us? Everyone is acting so strange."

"Who's acting strange?"

"You, Nathan, Sampson. I have my family's estate's lawyer and accountant calling me, just weird stuff."

"A lawyer? An estate? Bitch, what are you even talking about?"

"Elly, where are you?"

"I'm at work. I'm a lowly salary worker, not a top exec, remember?"

"Mhmm. Well, come over after work. I need to be with someone normal today."

"Will do, bye Bitch."

"Bye."

I'm not liking being called out of my name. I'm not trying to offend Elly, but I have to tell her. It's only right. If she's my best friend, she should understand.

I spend the day painting my living room and dining room walls bright white. While admiring my work, my doorbell rings. I'm sure it's Elly. I open the door to a gothic, chubby woman. She's pale as snow, with jet-black hair, heavy black eyeliner, a nose ring, and blood-red lipstick, but she's wearing an expensive black tailored suit. She gives me a full pan with a quizzical brow. I'm wearing coveralls, a white tank top, and head wrap.

"Que, what the fuck is going on?"

"Hello to you too, and nothing. I remodeled. Black is drab. I  needed to brighten up the place."

"We invited T.S.S., to have our meeting here tomorrow night!"

She follows me into the kitchen as I pour us both a glass of wine. I slide her glass over asking, "And what's that?"

"Huh? Our church bitch."

Laughing, I ask, "Why do you speak so vile? And if we have a church, we fear G-God. Try harder to speak wholesome."

Now glaring Elly says, "That's not funny Quma."

"Well, I said nothing funny."

"Did Tieg convert you or something?"

Through squinted eyes, I shrug at Elly. She reaches into her purse and tosses a small book onto the table. She leaves.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

469 9 1
Discontinued here. Continued, and thriving, on Inkitt under the same name.
146K 5.6K 47
Books 1& 2 of The Reckoning For thousands of years Lucifer has been waiting to rule humanity. When he finally discovers the sign that his time is nig...
3.9K 206 15
If you go down to the woods today... Well, in this town, you probably won't come back. Unexplained deaths and disappearances are normal around here...
3.4K 308 27
James is a monster. Not that he minds; he's never known any alternative. Disgusted by him and his shortcomings, he is rejected by his own kind and is...