The Hufflepuff

By Aly_Ruth

Everything is changing for Eleanor Wicks, a witch going into her fifth year at Hogwarts, rumours abound that... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
A/N Sequel

Twenty One

508 20 2
By Aly_Ruth

The weekend after the Transfiguration exam Eleanor spent with Cynthia and Susan in the common room. They had returned there on Friday night to find Eleanor in tears hidden under her covers, Ollie curled up in her lap and Cynthia was told about the dream.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Because Reggie is your brother, I didn't want to put you in some awkward position and make you choose. And I hate myself for it, I hate that I betrayed him I know I'm in the wrong-"

"El, you're my best friend. Reggie might be my brother but that doesn't mean he's my priority. I choose my friends and family and his attitude towards George, not to mention the fact that he wrote home to my parents who are now threatening to disown me because he's told them all these lies about George, makes him about as much family to me as Filch."

"So, is it over?" Susan asks, holding up some chocolate for Eleanor.

"I don't know, he just walked away. But he wanted me to stop spending time with Malfoy, and I told him even if I didn't need to study with him I wouldn't promise, that must've made him mad."

"Promise me something? No matter the boy any of us are with, you will always tell me what's going on?" Cynthia says.

"I promise."

"And trust me El, if he breaks up with you then he's the one losing out, and you can do so much better," Susan says firmly.

Despite their comforting Eleanor still felt awful for much of Saturday and Sunday, anxiety for her exam on Monday building up and though she knew she needed his help to get the grades for alchemy, she dreaded the idea of studying with Malfoy knowing it would only upset Reggie and feeling guilty because she knew when they were together her mind would be taken off of him.

"Come on Eleanor, there's no point avoiding him just because Reggie wants you to. Go. Study with Malfoy and tomorrow you will ace this exam." Cynthia says, pushing her out of the door of the common room. "I'll drag you the whole way up there if I have to."

"Okay okay I'm going." A small smile tugs at her mouth at how amazing her friend is and she stops resisting, adjusting her grip on her potions books before heading up to the library where Malfoy is there waiting.

"I didn't know if you were going to come or not," he says, a little too softly for it to be normal.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Because your boyfriend doesn't want you here. For some reason."

"You saw that huh?" She asks, sitting on one of the lounges tucked away in the library, deserted except for them.

"Yeah."

"Is that why I've been here for a whole minute without you cracking a smart ass joke or teasing me?"

"Just thought you could use a break tonight."

"No. I just need you to be yourself. No special treatment, and promise you won't let me fall asleep before we get all this revision done."

"I can do that," he smirks, opening the first book for them to begin.

_____

"I'm never going to get this," Eleanor groans over an hour later.

"Stop being stupid and you'll be fine."

"You're a real source of knowledge and encouragement," she bites back.

"Look, you already know this, you wrote about it in one of the essays from before christmas, you just have to remember."

"You helped with that, it's just me tomorrow."

"I didn't help with that, I checked it and suggested slight changes and things to include but I never actually fed you the answers. You're just stressed because it's an exam setting."

"And because this determines if I get into this class or not." She sighs, screwing up her face in frustration. "Can we just take a five minute break?"

They lean back against the lounge, setting aside the books. "Why do you want to do alchemy so bad?" Malfoy asks.

"It's stupid really."

"Not to you, it was enough of a reason for you to put up with me for a whole year."

"My mother took it. She excelled at it actually, the few times my dad let me visit my grandparents they would tell me all about how great she was at it, how it was her passion. I wanted to take it so that, in a way, I could get to know something about her, experience something she loved and that had been so important to her in her life."

"She died when you were little didn't she?"

"Yeah, a death eater, Bellatrix Lestrange, killed her a few months after I was born."

"I'm sorry," Malfoy says, sounding sincere for the first time since Eleanor had met him.

"It's fine, it's kinda nice to talk about it for once."

"I'm sorry you had to grow up without her though."

"I don't think anyone could have prevented it. She was so outspoken in the war, so determined to stop Voldemort."

Malfoy flinches a little at the name, "The death eater, Bellatrix. She- she's my aunt."

"I know."

"You-what?"

"I'm the daughter of a squib I'm not ignorant, I know the lineage of most of the larger pureblooded families."

"And you're still willing to sit here talking to me about your mother?"

"We don't choose our family, and we can't be held accountable for their choices and actions."

"Thank you," Malfoy says.

"Thank you, for listening that is."

The two of them spend a few more minutes chatting softly before returning to the work, a fresh energy within Eleanor helping her to move through the work with more ease and confidence.

As the night grew later they found themselves struggling to stay awake until Madam Pince found them ten minutes before curfew began.

"Off to bed the both of you, a good night's sleep is all you need for these exams." She says, ushering them out into the corridor.

They stumble together down the stairs and corridors towards their common rooms, Draco supporting a still sleepy Eleanor.

He walks her all the way past the kitchens and to the entrance of the Hufflepuff common room.

"She's right you know, no more studying, just go to sleep and you'll do great tomorrow." He says, before turning to make his way back to his own common room, "Night Eleanor."

"Goodnight Draco," Eleanor murmurs, before tapping on the barrel and stepping into the warm light of the common room.

_____

The potions exam passed relatively easily, Eleanor making sure to find Malfoy afterwards and signal to him that she thought she'd done well.

After that, the astronomy theory exam was nothing, and on Wednesday night Eleanor, Cynthia and Susan made their way up to the top of the astronomy tower with the Gryffindors to take their practical.

Halfway through the exam though Susan pointed out a group of people making their way across the grounds.

"Are they going towards Hagrid's?" Cynthia whispers.

A loud bang filled the air a few minutes later and the night air was lit up with flashes of red light as whoever was on the grounds tried to stun Hagrid.

"What's happening?"

"Umbridge most likely," Eleanor replies, staring transfixed at the scene below.

Another figure ran out of the castle, "How dare you," she shouted as she ran. "Leave him alone I say."

The three of them and several others screamed when all of the shadowy figures turned in unison and shot a number of stunning spells at McGonagall, casting an eerie red glow around her as she was picked up off the ground with the force before dropping down, unconscious.

There was nothing to be done from so high up, and no one worked on the end of their exam before they were dismissed and returned to their common room.

They sat up for a while, discussing amongst themselves what they'd seen before Eleanor decided to go to bed and sleep before their last exam, History of Magic, the next day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 831 43
The second Wizarding War has come to an end - Voldemort is dead, along with many others. The war took everything from Alexis Newhart. Her family is d...
6.8K 413 98
Eleanor is a muggle. Or that is what she thought. At age 15, she learns that there might be more to her, that she might be a witch. She is then sent...
6.8K 256 37
(AU, NoMagic) (Eventual Dramione, slow burn) What do you do when your boss tells you that you are out of a job? Hermione Granger hadn't a clue aside...
72K 2.3K 49
(A Draco Malfoy x she/her Reader fanfiction) Your time as a Hufflepuff at Hogwarts and the Second Wizarding War is a few years behind you as you star...