Ashes of Decoding

By Izuku_Prince

Abandoned in a sea of flames, a lone boy watches on as the heroes he once admired brought down their latest v... More

Prologue
Into the Dark
Into the City
His Story
Revelation
Entrance Exam
Villains at the USJ
Captured at Last
Talk About Villains
Upcoming Sports Festival
It's Finally Here

UA

35 1 0
By Izuku_Prince

Following the week that held the entrance exam was a tension filled, stressed and sleepless week for many. But as for Hitoshi? He slept like a baby. The moment he got back from the exam he collapsed onto his bed and slept for a good six hours before Izuku finished making dinner. Even after eating, showering and brushing his teeth, Hitoshi still fell asleep with ease, glad that the hardest part was over. Now he just had to wait for the letter either saying that he got in or was rejected. He prayed with all his heart that it was the former. He said that stressing took too much energy and that he'd rather sit around and watch TV then panic about the coming letter. So that's what he did. Sat around, watching cartoons with Eri and Izuku as they waited for the letter to come in. And come in it did in the following week after the exam. Izuku rushed in with the letter and other various mail neither of them cared about.

He tossed the letter to Hitoshi as he dumped the rest on the kitchen table, jumping over the back of the lounge, face planting into the soft fabric as he looked up at Hitoshi expectantly. The purplenette tore open the envelope, seeing not a letter, but a small disk like object. They all stared at it for a few moments before a hologram sprung to life. The principal Nedzu was present on screen, his fuzzy face taking up a majority of the hologram. "Good morning Shinsou Hitoshi! I am principal Nedzu, and I'm here Yo day that you passed with flying colours! Welcome to UA's hero course, Shinsou! I hope to see you there on Monday. You're uniform should be coming in through the mail today or tomorrow. Until then!" The hologram switched off, being replaced by a beeping light from the disk. Izuku quickly grabbed it, ran outside and threw it up high into the sky. The other two walked out, seeing the dusk explode in the air.

"Man, Nedzu. Making a holographic disk that explodes after it's used. Only Nedzu would do something like that," Izuku chuckled, ushering the duo back into the house where he made a quick and small celebratory cake. "Congratulations on getting in, Shin! I was gonna make this before, but, I didn't want to spoil the results for ya if you saw me making it," Izuku placed the cake in front of the purple haired teen. "We can look at class 1-A's roster if you want. Either way, I'm gonna so I can keep tabs on all of them. See who's good or not. Check their quirks, compile a list of strengths and weaknesses. I'll probably even come over on the first day to see what happens. So if you see or sense someone nearby, that most likely will be me," Hitoshi just nodded, half listening as he cut up the cake. He passed a slice to Eri who seemed eager to stuff her face. "Oh! I'll also be popping by more often. I'm sure Eri would want to be outside more anyway, so yeah."

"Yay! I get to see Shin-nii become a hero!" Eri cheered, giggling as Hitoshi's face burned bright red at the deceleration. "I'll see you train and get even stronger, and take out heaps of bad guys just like nii-chan does! And when I'm older, I'm gonna follow you guys and become my own hero! I'll make you proud, nii-chan!" Izuku placed a hand on her head, stopping her from bouncing in her seat as he chuckled lightly.

"You've already made me proud with your progress. And I'm sure you'll become a great hero too. Just like Shin will. We'll be a trio of heroes, searching everywhere for crime and taking down villains. It'll be fantastic. And who knows. You might end up interning at one of our agencies when your in UA. I'll definitely put up and offer for ya." Izuku exclaimed, hearing Hitoshi mutter "you say that as if we'll get our own agencies." Izuku slapped him on the back, earning a yelp and a glare in turn. "Lighten up, will ya? Of course we'll get our own agencies. And before you say anything about me being a vigilante, I've been giving Nedzu heaps of hints as to who I am. I'm waiting till he ends up capturing me so that he can take me under his wing! I'll become his personal student and help out in lessons with the hero course. I already see it now. And I forgot to add before, but, I'm gonna be dropping by Nedzu's office first day to say hi."

Hitoshi chocked on his slice, facing Izuku with a shocked and disbelieving face. His expression just read "what the actual fuck". Izuku chuckled, waving his hand as he stuffed his slice in his mouth, taking the plates and utensils away and washing them up. "Are you serious?! I thought you were trying to stay away from the police and heroes. You know, that being the whole reason on how you found me. Why are you trying to let them capture you? I get that you want to meet Nedzu and possibly get into UA, but you've been a vigilante for like six years! That's all just gonna go down the drain if you let yourself be caught by the heroes," he was in such disbelief that he was having a hard time processing everything that Izuku has just said. "Izuku, you realise what you're doing, right? You became a vigilante for a reason, you made a vow that you swore to keep. Are you just gonna throw all that down the drain?"

Izuku shook his head, wiping off the dishes and placing them aside in a pile. "Of course not. I'm not gonna throw away my vigilante career for something as trivial as that. I'm doing this mainly for Eri. I need a safe place for Eri should anything happen to either one of us. I trust Nedzu, and UA would be the best place for her to stay and be safe. I'm gonna do my vigilante job on the side when I'm captured anyway. Plus, I want to help train the next hero generation and help mould them into proper heroes that will protect the people. Those 'fake' heroes of today are only in the heroic business for money and fame. And before you compare me to them, saying I do jobs for money also, I have an actual reason. I need to provide for myself and Eri, and now you. I also use the money to buy essential items to create more gadgets that I'll use to save and help more people. I do it to help. Those 'fakes' do it for their own personal gain."

Hitoshi hummed in agreement, standing up from the table. "That makes sense," he turned to the stairs, heading up them as Izuku cleaned the last utensil. "I'm gonna study up a bit for next week. Can't be too cautious when dealing with UA." He beard Izuku call out "don't strain your mind" after him as he headed up the stairs to his room. Hitoshi smiled as he opened his door, settling down by his desk. 'Man, if it weren't for Izuku, I wouldn't of gotten this far. If it weren't for the heroes raiding Izuku's place, we never would've met. If it weren't for me inviting him over, none of this would've happened. If he didn't decide to stay, we wouldn't of trained, and I most likely wouldn't of gotten into UA, let alone the hero course. All this happened because of Izuku. All of this happened because of his choices. I doubt I would've gotten this far without him.' He was glad. He was happy because he was given another chance to do things. He could become a hero.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Nervousness flooded through his veins as he stood outside UA's gigantic gates, shadows looking over his much smaller figure. He gulped down a lump in his throat, clenching his bag strap and moving forwards. Now that he was actually standing here in the school uniform, he was trembling. This was his chance to become a hero. This was his chance to rise up and prove everyone wrong. To prove that he wasn't the villain everyone called him. That he was someone others can look at and think 'he'll keep me safe. He'll take down the villain.' He took in a deep breath, stepping over a slab that had been kicked up, entering the humongous building in a crowd of students. But that crowd soon depleted. He felt like he was all alone again, a few strays standing here and there. He glanced at all the doors, seeing the giant letters painted into the equally giant doors, obviously meant for mutant types. He kept searching until he found the giant door of class 1-A.

He took in a deep breath and opened the door, seeing most of the students inside already. He walked in and took a seat behind an ash-blond, recalling his name as 'Bakugou Katsuki' from Izuku's quick look through the class. His quirk, explosions. Hitoshi did not want to be on the receiving end of an explosion anytime soon. He glanced around the room, noting down everyone and their friend groups before the classroom door slammed open once more. The brunette he saved at the exam walked in, chatting with a frog like girl. Uraraka Ochako and Asui Tsuyu, he bored off. They sat down in their assigned seats to wait with everyone else for their homeroom teacher. But they didn't have to wait long. A cocoon looking yellow sleeping bag rolled into the room, gaining everyone's attention. A hand zipped the sleeping bag open, revealing the sleep deprived face of their teacher. He jumped up and stepped out of the sleeping bag, folding it and placing it on his desk.

Everyone standing around immediately rushed to their seats, happy-go-lucky demeanours now serious, or as serious as you can get when dealing with teenagers. Hitoshi was silently fanboying on the inside. Their teacher was the EraserHead. He knew Izuku already pointed out that their homeroom teacher was the underground hero, but seeing him in he flesh just made it ten times better. "That took you eight seconds too long to settle down. If you're here to be a hero, you need to learn to do that faster. These three years you'll be having here will be harsh, so you better get used to it," their teacher explained, bored monotone voice filling the room. "My name is Aizawa Shouta. I'm your homeroom teacher for the year. If I don't see potential in any of you, you'll be expelled immediately," that caused a jolt of tension amongst the students besides Hitoshi. "Now, put these on and meet me outside in five."

He placed the gym uniform on his desk and walked away, already done with the class he'd known for five minutes. Hitoshi was the first to stand up, grab his uniform and leave. Everyone else followed after him as he walked down the hall to the changing rooms. He's glad Izuku showed his a map beforehand, otherwise they'd most likely be lost. After changing uniforms, they all met Shouta outside, the sleep deprived teacher waiting impatiently for them. "Now that you're all here, you'll be doing a few practical tests to see where you're at in terms of physical strength and ability," the brunette spoke up after Shouta announced this, saying something about the orientation currently going on. "We don't have time for useless meetings. You're here to become heroes. Now. Bakugou, come here. You got first on the practical exam," Katsuki stepped forward and caught the ball thrown to him. "How far could you pitch in middle school?"

He kept a straight face as he stared back at the teacher. "67 metres." Shouta nodded, pointing over his back to a ring painted into the ground, saying "now try with your quirk. Just don't leave this ring." Katsuki stretched his arms, holding the ball behind him as he crouched slightly, planting his feet into the ground. "DIE!" He threw the ball with all his strength, firing a powerful explosion after it as it left his grip. The blast was enough to cause some of the students sanding by to stumble. The ball started to descend in the distance, falling to the ground far away from Katsuki. Shouta held up a phone like device, showing the score '705.04' metres on it. "How's that, extras?" Katsuki snickered, walking back to the group of dumbfounded students, head held high and radiating pride and looking egotistical, just like Izuku had described him to be.

Ochako exclaimed something about this being "fun" which seemed to tick off their teacher. "Fun, huh? How's this for fun. The person who scores last will be expelled from UA," a few seconds of silence washed over the students before they erupted in argument. "This is my class. I can do whatever I wish with you. The principal has given strict regulation that teachers can teach their classes however they see fit. If you don't like my rules, then leave. His obviously isn't the place for you," someone in the back whines about it "being so unfair". "The world is unfair. You don't get to choose anything. You have to follow everyone else if you want to get somewhere. Now, first up is the fifty metre dash. No more whining. I don't care what you think about this being unfair. This isn't a place to play friends and stupid games. This is training you for the hell that is the outside world. This isn't a game. Get use to it now or leave UA and never come back ever again, got it?"

~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Knocking interrupted Nedzu's focus. The animal principal turned to the large window that took up the wall, seeing a figure cloaked in black hanging upside down waving at him. Nedzu immediately opened the window, knowing that this was the vigilante Blank. The vigilante climbed in and stood up straight, stretching his back and arms. "Hey Nedzu. This is the first time we're meeting face to face, huh? How's my chess buddy doing?" Blank walked around the desk Nedzu sat at and settled down on the lounge. His goggles and faux mask covered his face as he leaned onto his hands. "I'm sure you've been doing well. Are oh any closer to figuring out who I am? Or do you need some more hints? Though, I guess talking to you gives a hint because of my voice. Isn't that nice?" He chuckled lightly, hidden emerald eyes gleaming as he watched Nedzu pour himself a cup of steaming tea.

"It's been going quite well, actually. The police force and I have compiled a list of facts about you. We even got an anonymous tip to boot. Do you happen to know where that came from?" Nedzu sipped his really as Blank laughed, saying "of course I do. I've been keeping tabs on you guys for years now." Nedzu hummed in acknowledgment, before something of interest caught his beady little eyes. "Is there something on your back? I thought I saw something peaking out," Blank jolted up, before sighing in defeat. He muttered something that Nedzu couldn't hear before a small girl climbed down from under his jacket, settling on the lounge and holding onto Blank's arm. "Oh? It seems that the anonymous tip gave us to correct information. And what might your name be, little one?" In a quiet voice, close to a whisper, she said "Eri." "Ah. I'm sure I've heard about you somewhere. I suppose you're the one who's taken care of her after we took down Shie Hassaikai, correct?"

Blank laughed, nodding his head in confirmation. "Of course you'd know that. It seems nothing can get past you, huh? Either way, I came here to watch the hero course, though I believe I've gotten enough information. EraserHead was close to catching sight of me, but I know what I'm doing. These types of things are my favourite to do. And when you finally capture me, I hope I'll still be able to do this, after all, I am a vigilante and hacker. I'm sure I'll find a way anyhow. But that's besides the point. I'm here because I want a safe place for Eri here should something happen to me. I want to keep her as safe as possible, and UA is said to be the safest place in Japan. So I'm sure you have some room for a small child to stay," Blank leaned back into the cushions, placing Eri in his lap. He played with her hair as Nedzu thought his words over, pouring some tea for his vigilante guest. "So? I feel the only answer would be yes."

"You are quite correct. How could I consciously abandon a young girl? I'd feel like a monster doing something like that. So, should anything happen to you, I'll make sure to keep her protected here in UA. I'm sure you've thought of a way to tell us her location if something should happen," Blank took out a small device, splitting it in two. He placed one on Nedzu's desk and gave the other half to Eri. "A tracking device that only activates with a specific command. You'd make an excellent student here in UA. I'll be sure you capture your quick then, shouldn't I?" Blank took a sip from his tea, Eri cooling her own down before drinking. "Plus, I'd love to start playing chess with you in real life, not over computer. Show me how you think logically and with precision. I'd love to get into that mind of yours and see how you tick. But until then, I'll just have to keep searching for you and figure you the best course of action in capturing you."

Blank downed the rest of his drink and placed it on Nedzu's desk, Eri doing the same. He walked over to the window, hoisting Eri up onto his back as he opened the window. He climbed out onto the ledge, looking back over at Nedzu. He jokingly saluted the animal principal. "I'll be sure to keep up this game of tag for as long as I can. And your next set of hints will be rolling in this week, so look forward to it. Until the next time we meet or play chess." He leaped out, disappearing from Nedzu's line of sight. The animal principal closed the window after the vigilante, smiling to himself as he settled back down into his seat. He thought over their quick interaction with a new plan in mind. It was going to be a fun week ahead of him.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~

1. Bakugou Katsuki
2. Todoroki Shouto
3. Shinsou Hitoshi
4. Yaoyorozu Momo

Hitoshi scanned the rest of the list, outside expression neutral but on the inside he was delighted. He'd gotten third! He was sure that he didn't do that well, considering the fact that he couldn't use his quirk while everyone else could for at least something. He knew that he was stronger, more agile and flexible, as well as better stamina and agility. Even so, he had doubted that he'd get into the top five, let alone top three. He was sure to thank Izuku later for everything. He barely acknowledged the fact that Shouta expelling the student that placed last was a logical ruse, and completely ignored Momo's thoughts on it. He was just busy staring at his name on the holographic screen. Mentally thanking Izuku a million times over, he started to head back with everyone else. He ignored everything around him, staying in the back with his hands shoved in his pockets as he thought about the last year he spent with Izuku.

A small smile broke out across his usually expressionless face, eyes softening the tiniest bit as he walked. He really was lucky to meet Izuku that day. Sure, the events leading up to it weren't lucky, but, he cannot complain. Everything was finally looking up for him, all thanks to the greenette that had stumbled his way into his life.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stand a little taller, doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone. What doesn't kill you makes a-" Izuku cut off his singing, feeling a strange presence nearby. He looked around from his vantage point on top of UA's giant gates, hidden as he lay against the sunny concrete. Eri stilled next to him, knowing that something was wrong. It was already the second day of school, and the media was surrounding the place. He'd heard from Hitoshi about All Might working at UA and the exercise he went through. He laughed his ass off once Hitoshi told him he got Katsuki to bash his head into a wall repeatedly as he and Ochako secured the fake bomb. How he wished he wasn't on a job during that. He turned his head to the street across from UA, staring into an alleyway. "What the hell kind of villain comes out during the day? What is he planning?" He muttered, waking a grey-blue haired male walk out and across the road.

He was hidden by the giant gate, but Izuku could hear the crumbling of the gate. The media burst in, screaming and shouting as they ran. Izuku could hear the chaos that erupted inside UA, mass panic running throughout the students. "Eri. I need you to stay here for me, alright. Stay down. I'll be right back. I need to see what this guy is doing." Eri nodded I understanding, staying laid down as Izuku took up a crouched position, glancing around quickly. With a small nod to Eri, he took off, staying hidden in the shadows as he followed the villain. 'The teachers lounge, huh? Must be looking for something in particular.' He watched as the villain shuffled through a few files, mentally noting down how he held up his pinky fingers in the air as he searched. 'So he has no control over his quirk. Restraining his hands should be enough to stop any major damage. Hmm... the USJ field trip 1-A is going to tomorrow. Guess I'm crashing their party.'

A black and purple vortex like portal appeared next to the villain, disappearing with him as it closed. Izuku made his way back to the top of the gate, laying back down next to Eri who hugged him tightly when he returned. "Who was that? We're they a villain? Will Shin-nii be alright?" She asked, worry lacing her voice as she stared down at Izuku.

Said greenette placed a hand on her head, ruffling her hair and calming her down. "Don't worry. We'll be going on a little trip tomorrow. I'll make sure to keep Shin and his classmates safe. I'll protect them like I protect you, okay?" He poked her nose, earning a fit of giggles from Eri. "So there's nothing to worry about. I'll place you in a safe place away from the fighting so you don't get hurt. Afterwards, we can go out and get something to eat. What do ya say to that?" Eri laid down on Izuku's chest, nodding up at him as she got comfortable. Izuku chuckled lightly, patting her head. "I'll be sure to keep everyone safe. You don't have to worry about a thing."

~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Worry was not a word he had in his dictionary, but after today, it squished itself inside. Out of every villain he's ever fought before, he knew these guys knew what they were doing. Sure, it was their first attempt and debut, but, they've been planning this for ages now, if the mutated bird-like creature was any indication. Shock absorption, regeneration, super strength and speed. This is not what he was expecting to face today, or ever in his life. Blood was pouring down his battered body as he protected the students and teachers. How he wished he knew what he was going to face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 117 24
Izuku midoriya a 14yr old teen who. Lives 2 lifes one in the night and one in the day. I night he is the No. 1 vigilante, blackout . He's been up and...
10.3K 588 24
His dreams were crushed. There was no way that he could become a hero now. The number one hero, the one who had kept Izuku's dreams alive for so long...
32.9K 679 11
Izuku midoriya A boy who had a dream, a dream to on become a hero But that dream was destroyed by everyone He couldn't trust anyone, not even his mot...
31.6K 1K 50
Quirkless AU- Izuku Midoriya, 18 years old and about to attend UA University, the top academy for only the brightest of Japan and the world. But with...