Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Af phoenixflame91

Rosalie Dursley has always felt like the outsider in her family. Whereas they can be judgemental and cruel, s... Mere

The Quidditch World Cup
Aboard the Hogwarts Express
A Ghostly Visitor
CAST
Enchant
Let It Out
Shrieking Shack Attack
Into the Prism
Double-cross
Unexpected Consequences

Dreams and Letters

221 2 0
Af phoenixflame91

Rosalie shivered as the waves crashed over her legs. She could feel  the mixture of sand, tiny shells, and cold water beneath her feet and  lifting her head, she watched a group of teenage girls splashing each other, herself among them. Her dreams were, to put it mildly, strange.  While some people dreamt of flying amongst the clouds or talking  animals, hers never made much sense, especially when she could see  herself like an out of body experience. Other times, she seemed to be  someone else though her mother simply deemed it an overactive  imagination.

The wet sand hardened beneath her feet, replaced with  a polished wooden floor. She was no longer on the beach where she spent  most of the summer with her friends but an unfamiliar hallway. Her  right leg numb, she carefully climbed the stone steps, her eyes  adjusting to the dim light, provided by the mullioned windows on either  side of the front door, and taking in her new surroundings, a once  grandiose home hidden beneath decades of built up dust and grime.

Stopping  at the end of the hallway, she peered through an open door where a  timid, balding man was tending to someone sitting in an armchair. The  hidden man, speaking in a high-pitched, chilling voice, appeared to be  the one in charge. She listened to them talk about a Quidditch World  Cup, wizards, and muggles.

Her chest tightened when the hidden man  mentioned needing Harry Potter, something his partner anxiously opposed  due to him being heavily guarded, leading to him being chastised as  cowardly and weak. Their conversation continued with a casual  conversation of a woman's death at their hands, after she divulged  useful information, and the timid man, referred to as Wormtail, shifted  uncomfortably upon learning that he was an essential part of their  dangerous plans. Her surroundings changed once more and she found  herself glancing up at the balding man.

"M—my lord?" he stuttered.

A  gigantic snake slithered towards them, resting on the rug. Rosalie's  lips moved, speaking a different language, and as the snake hissed, she  understood every word.

"According to Nagini, there is an old  muggle standing right outside this room, listening to every word we  say." Wormtail glimpsed at the door. "Invite him inside, Wormtail. Where  are your manners?"

He beckoned someone into the room, a soft  tapping sound indicating their use of a cane. Their voices became  muffled and an intense hatred and disgust brewed deep inside her. Her  view switched between a blinding light and the elderly man attempting to  be brave. As Wormtail turned the armchair, she raised her thin, scaly  hand, the room enveloped in a flash of green.

Her eyes popped open  but instead of a bed, tangled in a blanket with her best friend Mina,  she was flat on her back, in the middle of the kitchen. The lamp above  her flickered and when she was not seeing dots in front of her eyes, she  thought her pillow was sticking out of the ceiling. She jumped up at  the porcelain tile floor shaking beneath her and the cabinets opening  with a loud bang.

"Rosalie?" A woman in a silk robe entered the kitchen, looking concerned. "Are you all right?"

"I uh wanted a glass of water," said Rosalie, her eyes darting to the bare ceiling.

"Well,  why don't you gather your things and I'll get you home?" she  suggested. "By now, half the neighborhood is talking about that little  quake and knowing your parents, they'll think you're buried under rubble if they don't hear from you straight away."

Rosalie sighed in  relief, thinking that she had gone crazy. Mina, dressed in a pink tank  top and matching plaid pajama pants, hurried down the staircase, her  blonde curls smacking Rosalie in the face as her arms wrapped around her  petite frame.

"Rosie, I was so scared," she said, squeezing her tightly. "Everything started shaking and then you weren't there."

"We're  fine," assured her mother. "I'm taking her back home once she's packed.  Don't you pout, Mina Grace. You'll have plenty of time to see each  other. Make sure your brother's up and get dressed. We need to go  grocery shopping and you both best behave."

"Mom, we could've died  just now." Rosalie stifled a laugh at her best friend's dramatics.  "Isn't it safer for us to stay inside the house? I'm sure Rosie's  parents would agree."

Her mother pointed at the doorway. "We're  out in ten, no exceptions...unless you'd like to spend some time with Mrs.  Figg. I hear she's got a new cat."

Rosalie packed her belongings  into her duffel bag, with Mina sitting cross-legged on the bed and  simultaneously tossing her a piece of clothing and whining about her  uptight mother. It could not be farther from the truth, her best friend  simply letting out her frustrations. Mrs. Becker was known for being a  free spirit ("a lazy hippie", according to Rosalie's father), who  managed to raise her two children by herself. Most people in the  neighborhood focused on the fact that she was a single mother, instead  of her friendly demeanor or excellent baking skills.

"You sure  you're okay?" asked Mina, as Rosalie folded her shorts. "I thought I  heard you talking in your sleep. It sounded like you were hissing."

"Yeah,  I think Harry's scary stories about St. Brutus's are getting to me,"  she replied, almost fooling herself. "I wish my parents let him go to  Smelting's instead but somehow, that would be worse."

Mina nodded solemnly. "Better to be whacked on the head with a ruler than have to suffer being crushed by the human beluga."

"Mina!"  said Rosalie, throwing a stuffed panda at her. It was second nature for  her to speak her mind, particularly about Rosalie's tactless brother.  "Don't call him that. You know, the diet is starting to work."

"Oh,  so now he's a baby beluga?" Mina rolled her eyes. "Rosie, just because  he's your brother, it doesn't mean you can't call him out for being  horrible. It's our job as sisters. If I don't rag on Evan at least once a  day, I'm not fulfilling my duties."

"Is that why you do it?" she heard.

An  amused Evan was leaning against the doorway. Seeing that he was  shirtless, a black tee draped over his shoulder, Rosalie focused on  zipping up her bag. Mina chucked the bag at him, intending to hit him in  the face but he effortlessly caught it with one hand.

"Nice try, raccoon eyes." She responded with a quiet snarl. "Mom said get a move on. She's already outside."

On  her way out the door, she purposely knocked into her older brother's  shoulder. Rosalie reached but he merely shook his head, managing to slip  his shirt over his head.

"I've got it," he said, with a smile. "Hey, where's your necklace?"

Touching  her bare neck, she turned towards the bed. A golden chained necklace, a  dove-shaped pendant with rubies for eyes dangling from the center, was  resting on the pillow and for a split second, the rubies seemed  unnaturally bright. Rosalie had worn it for as long as she could  remember, a present from her Aunt Lily and Uncle James. Having never met  them, her parents considering them outcasts, it was the one thing that  gave her any sort of connection, aside from her cousin Harry. Picking it  up, she frowned, noticing the clasp broken in half.

"Danny's aunt  owns a jewelry store in town. I bet she could fix it," offered Evan,  knowing it meant a lot to her. "We could swing by later."

"We?" she asked, uncertain.

Her  father would blow a gasket if he saw her with a boy, let alone an older  one with his own car. Since her days on the playground, he was wary of  any boy close to her, swarming in as soon as they asked to play with her  on the swings or to borrow her shovel. His overprotectiveness grew over  time, worsening as not just boys acknowledged her looks but grown men.  It was why he rarely allowed her to attend company picnics, not wanting  his employees or his superiors to leer at her. It was why he prohibited  her from visiting Mina's house often, wanting her far away from the  charming and handsome Evan.

When he was unable to intimidate the  poor boys, the task was left to Dudley, who relished his role. At  Smelting's, not a day went by where he didn't threaten another boy for  simply glancing in her direction. His massive size, along with his gang  of fellow bullies, intimidated most of them. Her mother was no help in  the matter, finding their scare tactics noble.

"We can tell your  dad that you're going with Mina...but I don't know if that's much  better," he joked. "I wouldn't want her to think I'm stealing you away  so we can go while she's at her guitar lesson."

Torn between not  wanting to upset her mother and potentially enraging her father, with  the added bonus of being locked in her room forever, she agreed to his  idea. With any luck, Dudley would be too busy bemoaning another day of  dieting, courtesy of a letter from the school nurse, to catch her in a  lie.

The ride back to her home was a typical one with the Beckers:  Mina kicking Evan's seat from the back then pretending that she was  simply stretching, an ensuing argument that consisted of silly name  calling, and Mrs. Becker, tired after five minutes, drowning them out  with the radio.

As Rosalie waved from the front porch, she gripped  the door handle, immediately retracting her hand. She thought tiny  silver sparks were bouncing off her fingertips but blamed it on a trick  of the light.

"Sweetheart, thank goodness." Her mother, placing  her purse back on the glass front table, embraced her then cupped her  face in her hands. "I've been calling the Beckers for the past ten  minutes. I was beginning to think—are you hurt? Do you need to go to the  hospital?"

"No," said Rosalie, her voice muffled against her  mother's collarbone. "Mrs. Becker drove me back right away. I'm sorry  that you were worried."

"It's not your fault. I'm simply glad that—" Her lips curved into a frown. "You aren't wearing your necklace."

Rosalie  lowered her gaze to her black flats. "T—the clasp broke...from the quake,  I guess. I'm going with Mina later to the new jewelry store in town. My  friend's aunt owns it and I'm sure she could fix it. Please don't be  mad."

"I'd never be mad at you, darling but I don't want you going  out on your own." She delicately slipped the necklace into the pocket  of her apron. "If you're certain that you don't need to rest, why don't  you go help me set up in the kitchen? Your father and brother will be  down any minute."

There was something off about her smile, one  that did not fully reach her eyes. Brushing away her paranoia, she  walked into the kitchen and opened the cabinet above the stove for the  plates. To her confusion, the cabinet was empty and as she began to call  for her mother, the table was already set with plates, utensils, and  glasses. Her first thought was that Harry had cast a spell, as a prank.  Rosalie did not understand how he could be that reckless, considering  two summers ago he had received a letter warning him against using magic  outside of Hogwarts.

She was startled by the whistling of the tea  kettle. Catching her breath, she turned the dial and removed the kettle  from the stove.

"All right there, dove?" asked her father, straightening out his suit.

Her  brother was two steps behind, with his permanent scowl on full display.  That scowl deepened when her father kissed the top of her head. Rosalie  and her brother were as opposite as night and day, in looks and  personality. While Rosalie had a sunny disposition, known for being  friendly and caring, her brother was as welcoming as a prickly cactus,  taking pride in his reputation as a rude bully. Most people, upon  meeting them, looked at the two in disbelief, wondering how they could  be twins.

Though his features more resembled their mother's ("my  little cherub", she called him to his annoyance), he inherited their  father's portly frame and short temper. Rosalie was a perfect blend of  her parents, with her father's dark hair and her mother's petite figure  and eyes the color of forget me nots. One thing that she did not share  with any of her relatives was their tendency to be judgmental towards,  what they deemed, abnormal.

An example of that was their treatment  of her cousin Harry, his magical abilities seen as monstrous instead of  wondrous. From the moment he had been left on their doorstep as a baby,  her parents acted like he was a burden, not a member of the family, and  when they noticed the friendship between him and Rosalie, they did  their best to keep their interactions at a minimum. Their efforts proved  futile, with the two sneaking around so Harry could tell her about his  adventures at Hogwarts.

Almost immediately, her father questioned  if Evan had been inappropriate around her. Evan could rescue people from  a burning building and her father would continue to see him as a dirty  monster.

"You always think the worst of him, Daddy," she said, pouring herself a cup of tea. "He's very nice."

As  she sat at the table, Dudley taking up one whole side, he purposely  kicked her leg. She had given up on being friends with her brother  around the age of six, after he threw mud on her dress at a family  reunion.

"After breakfast, why don't I take you into town for some  shopping?" suggested her father. "We can stop by that ice cream parlor  you like as well. I don't want to risk you being alone if another of  those quakes strikes. I'm sure it was frightening.

Dudley  whimpered at the mention of ice cream. "I didn't really feel it," she  admitted, spotting a shared glance between her parents as her mother  opened the fridge. "Did you hear what caused the quake? It's like it  came out of nowhere."

Her father's mood soured at the arrival of  Harry, his dark eyes passing over his disheveled hair and baggy clothes.  Knowing it was best not to anger him, he sat across from Rosalie,  trapped between her father and brother. As her mother placed grapefruit  quarters on each plate, Rosalie managed a quick wave, Harry responding  with his own before hiding his hand under his sleeve. Her brother  devoured his grapefruit then eyed hers and Harry's greedily.

At  sound of the doorbell, her father left the kitchen and seconds later, he  returned, looking livid. That expression was reserved for only one  person, Harry, who he ordered into the living room. Unable to intervene  in the verbal lashing, rather tame since her father's voice was not  carrying across the hall, she kept an eye on the door and blocked  Dudley's hand, inches from her plate, with her spoon.

"It's not like you need it, twig," he hissed. "Give it to me now or—"

Just  as he lifted his fist, the chair split in half, causing him to fall to  the floor. Her mother shrieked at the sight of her brother flat on his  back and groaning in pain.

"Diddy darling!" She struggled to lift  his head, checking for open wounds. "Don't move too much. Rosalie, help  him up to his room while I get the first aid kit."

Asking her to  help brother was like asking her to lift up a truck. She could not get  through the door without pausing every few steps. Once they were out in  the hallway, he pushed her roughly, knocking her into the wall.

She rubbed her shoulder, wincing. "Why can't you let me—"

"Shut  it," he snapped, making her clench her fists. He pressed his ear  against the living room door. "I'm fine. I'm trying to hear Dad yell at  four eyes."

The lights in the hallway flickered. "Don't call him that. He's family."

"Am  I hurting his feelings?" he asked, mockingly. "Cry me a river. Shove  off unless you want me to tell Dad about your little chat the other  night. Bet he'd love to hear that you think those freaks are cool. On  second thought, I should tell him so he'll want to keep you as far apart  as possible. Maybe he'll send you to a boarding school on the other  side of the world."

Biting her tongue, nearly piercing it when he  called her a 'stuck up brat' behind her back, she continued down the  hallway, resisting her own urge to eavesdrop on the conversation. She  found the perfect opportunity, noticing a pile of scattered letters on  the doormat. It was the typical bills and letters from relatives and  family friends, including a birthday card for her from Aunt Marge that  contained a few fifty-pound notes.

Under the birthday card was  another letter addressed to her, one that looked strangely familiar. The  envelope was made of thick yellowish parchment, with emerald green  writing on the front.

Miss R. Dursley
4 Privet Drive
Little Whinging
Surrey

As  she started to flip it over, the envelope was snatched from her hand.  Her father, standing behind her and half of his face looking like a  grape, pocketed it in his suit and grabbed the rest of the mail. Harry  was by the staircase, looking surprisingly pleased.

"Thank you for getting that, sweetheart. I thought I forgot something," he said, sifting through the letters.

"It was for me," she replied, curiously.

Her  father chuckled. "From Smelting's. I was wondering why I only had your  brother's. It's nothing to concern yourself with...boring school matters  and all that. Are you ready to go?"

"I want to unpack first," she said, tearing her gaze from his breast pocket. "I'll be down in a couple minutes."

Harry  joined her on the staircase, jumping three steps at a time. It was odd  for him to be in a good mood after a conversation with either of her  parents. When they were at the top of the stairs, away from her father's  watchful eye, he held up a piece of purple parchment. Her father's  anger stemmed from a letter written by Mrs. Weasley, inviting Harry to  the Quidditch World Cup finals. She offered to let Harry stay with her  family for the rest of the summer.

Rosalie giggled at the  envelope, covered in dozens of stamps, something the postman also found  hilarious. Her father, never wanting to be perceived as anything less  than normal, did not share in his amusement but one mention of Harry's  godfather Sirius Black, a wizard and former prisoner who was wrongly  convicted and on the run, made him reconsider allowing him to attend the  World Cup, on the condition that the Weasleys picked him up from the  house.

"Dad must be spooked if he's letting them in the house," she said, walking towards her room. "It sounds fun."

"Yeah, I can't wait. Ron's been telling me about—ow!" He clutched his arm. "What was that for, Rosie?"

"This morning. What's your plan, to get expelled so you can run off with Sirius?" she accused. "It wasn't funny."

"What are you going on about?" he asked, confused.

"Fine,  play dumb but we both know what you did, Harry." She placed her hands  on her hips. "If you do it again, I'll take your wand away myself. I'm  not letting you ruin your future."

Harry raised his brow. "Thanks? Want some birthday cake before you go? I've got some of Sirius's and Hermione's left."

"Maybe later." She opened her door. "I'll sneak you back a sundae, extra fudge."

Throughout  the day, her father doted on her, even more than usual. He seemed  intent on keeping her happy, buying her whatever she showed the  slightest interest in no matter the cost. It felt a bit excessive when  they left their third store, with enough clothes to fill another walk-in  closet. Upon returning the same, her mother acted in a similar manner,  allowing her to have extra helpings at dinner, despite Dudley's  complaints.

Their strange behavior continued into the next  morning, with her parents never taking their eyes off of her. Dudley  used it to his advantage, scarfing down ice cream directly from the  freezer. They treated Harry like he was invisible, aside from her father  warning him that the Weasleys were expected to be properly dressed and  arrive on time.

Rosalie was brushing her hair when her mother  entered her room, carrying a load of laundry. "Oh, is that one of the  new dresses you bought yesterday? It's lovely, sweetheart, but why are  you wearing it?"

"For when the Weasleys come," replied Rosalie, as  if it was obvious. "You and Daddy always say to look our best. The girl  at the boutique told me it brings out my eyes."

Her mother  gripped the laundry basket. "I think it's unwise for you to be around  those...people," she said, taking time to choose her words. "With what  happened last time, I don't want you in any danger. Your brother still  has nightmares about that incident, no doubt. I'd prefer if you stayed  in your room."

"Mom, don't overreact," said Rosalie, not the least  bit worried about the Weasleys. She smoothed the front of her dress.  "They're here for Harry, not to attack us. I know last time was a little  scary but it was a misunderstanding. Besides, wouldn't you feel better  if I was with you and Dad?"

Placing the basket on Rosalie's bed,  she wagged her finger. "If I say to go upstairs, you'll do it straight  away. Understand? This isn't a game."

Knowing that she had won,  she simply nodded. At a quarter to five, she joined her family in the  living room, holding in her excitement. She had never met the Weasleys  before, her father forbidding her from the trip to King's Cross each  year.

Her only experience with magic being Hagrid, who barged into  the shack her father brought them to when attempting to escape Harry's  never-ending Hogwarts letters, and though she had been anxious at first,  his sheer size making her cower behind the couch, she was interested in  meeting other wizards. Harry's stories made the wizarding world sound  like a fairytale come to life.

Her mother was compulsively  straightening the cushions while her father read his newspaper and  Dudley sat in an armchair, his hands clamped over his backside. Rosalie  sat on the bottom of the stairs with Harry, who was constantly checking  his watch. At half past five, there was no sign of the Weasleys,  irritating her parents. They spoke in terse mutters, believing that the  family was expecting a dinner invite, and seeing Harry doubting himself  ("Maybe I got the day mixed up. I swear it said Sunday."), she scooted  closer, placing her hand over his.

"They're coming," she said,  assuringly. "It's not the end of the world if they're a little late.  They wouldn't forget you, Harry."

At that moment, her father, in  the midst of insulting the Weasleys, shouted in a panic. A terrified  Dudley fled from the living room, his hands still on his backside, and  without saying a word, he disappeared into the kitchen. Hurrying into  the living room, Harry and Rosalie saw her mother backed against the  wall, staring at the fireplace in fear. Voices and scraping could be  heard behind the wooden boards.

Hearing the voices call out for  Harry, her parents rounded on him like rabid wolverines. "What is this?"  growled her father. "What's going on?"

Harry held back a smile. "They—they've tried to get here by Floo powder."

"It's  how they travel sometimes," said Rosalie, remembering a letter from  Harry a couple summers ago. "They can move through fireplaces."

That  fact was met with more anger, directed at Harry, than intrigue. Hearing  anything related to magic from Rosalie's mouth triggered the alarm  bells in her father's head, that Harry was secretly corrupting her.  Ignoring his accusations, Harry approached the fireplace, speaking to  the people crammed in the small space. Her father's snarl fell when Mr.  Weasley warned them to stand back but before he could say a single word,  the boards burst outward, sending rubble and loose chippings all over  the pristine room. It was her mother's worst nightmare.

Rosalie,  completely unharmed, lowered her hands from her head, Harry using his  body to shield her from the debris. She looked at the four people who  had been expelled from the fireplace, exactly as Harry described:  redheaded and freckly. The three teenagers, two of them twins, were  dressed like anyone she would see in town, their clothes a bit raggedy,  but the older, balding man could have been plucked straight out of the  Middle Ages, sporting long green robes.

The rubble had settled  into her father's dark hair, making him look like an elderly man. Mr.  Weasley held out his hand but instead of shaking it, he stepped back  several paces. His anger was not assuaged by Mr. Weasley's apology or  his promise to fix the fireplace, most of his words (floo networks and  disapparate) flying over his head.

Sensing the tension in the air,  he greeted Harry warmly. Rosalie could not help but giggle as he  proudly mentioned collecting batteries to her parents, catching his  attention.

"Ah, this must be your cousin Rosalie, yes?" he asked, brightly.

Harry smiled. "Yeah, this is Rosie."

She  would have greeted them if her mother was not digging her nails into  her arm. The tall, lanky boy next to him lowered his eyes to his muddy  shoes, his cheeks a slight tinge of pink. Leaving the room to grab  Harry's trunk, the twins winked at her. Amidst the awkward silence,  Dudley reappeared, practically glued to the wall. Rosalie had only seen  him this frightened twice before, when Hagrid gifted him with a pig's  curly tail and when Leo Stillwell, an intimidating boy several years  older, threatened payback for bullying his little brother.

Fred  and George returned to the room, carrying Harry's trunk, and upon seeing  Dudley, their faces broke out in identical grins. With a flick of his  wand, Mr. Weasley created flames in the fireplace, the flames turning  emerald green when he tossed a glittery powder from a drawstring bag.

"Go on, then, Fred," he said, tucking his wand into his robes.

One  of the twins stepped forward, accidentally dropping a bag of sweets  from his jacket. Watching him walk through the flames, Rosalie's eyes  widened as he vanished and his other brothers soon did the same.

"Well...bye, then," muttered Harry.

If  the rest of her family were not around, it would have been much more  heartfelt. He and Rosalie always struggled with goodbyes after a long  summer.

Mr. Weasley held him back, looking surprised. That awkward  tension skyrocketed when he noted her family's lack of a response,  almost indignant at their silence. Swallowing his pride, her father  muttered a goodbye, barely hiding his resentment.

"Miss you," Harry mouthed to her.

"You too. Be careful," she mouthed back, his school years typically perilous.

Rosalie  was distracted by a loud choking sound and her mother screaming in her  ear. Kneeling beside the coffee table, Dudley gagged and sputtered on a  long, slimy purple thing protruding from his mouth. She soon realized  that the slimy thing was his tongue and bent down beside him with her  mother, who was having a panic attack.

Mr. Weasley deduced that  Fred's sweets had been enchanted with an engorgement charm, as a joke.  Her mother, tears pouring down her cheeks, tugged on the swollen tongue,  determined to rip it out, while her father chucked a china figure at  the apologetic man, imploring them to let him help Dudley. In the chaos,  Harry disappeared through the fireplace. Pleading with her father, who  was throwing figure after figure at Mr. Weasley, Rosalie rested her hand  on Dudley's back, his tongue growing to more than four feet long and  extending to the kitchen.

"Dudley, you need to stay calm," she said, as Mr. Weasley blasted a figure in mid-air. "Just be calm, please."

For  the first time, he listened to her, no longer thrashing around on the  floor. Mr. Weasley cautiously stepped towards them and twirling his wand  counterclockwise, he cast a spell that returned his tongue to normal.

"I'm  terribly sorry about this. My sons can be a bit of a handful," he said,  regretfully. "Rest assured, they will get a stern talking to about  their behavior. I hope our next meeting goes better. Lovely to meet you  all."

He vanished with a sudden pop. Rosalie kept her  hand on Dudley's back, comforting him as he panted heavily. Her father,  spurred by what had just occurred, began one of his usual tirades about  Harry, how he and his 'unnaturalness' were banned from the house.

"He didn't put them up to it, Dad," she insisted. "Dudley's not hurt. It was a bad prank."

"Don't  go feeling sympathy for that...freak," he said, his voice low. "Ever  since we took him in, I knew he'd be trouble. He's filling your head  with nonsense. You're never to be alone with him, Rosalie. Do you hear  me? If he so much as—"

He was interrupted by a soft tapping on the  door. Her parents looked at each other, as if the other would know who  was visiting at such a late hour. Brushing the dust from his hair and  mustache, he opened the door to one of the strangest men Rosalie had  ever seen in her life. He was tall and thin with waist-length silver  hair and beard and half-moon spectacles perched on his crooked nose. If  his appearance was not enough of a giveaway, his deep purple robes,  embroidered with silver stars, were like a flashing sign that read  'Wizard'.

"Go to the Polkiss's, both of you," whispered her mother, ushering her and Dudley to the door. "Don't leave until I call."

A  dark-haired boy, looking no older than eighteen, appeared in the  doorway, leaning against the frame. His biceps showed through the  sleeves of his henley though Rosalie noticed that his boots were not  made of typical leather. His head nearly reaching the top of the frame,  he towered over her and her family. Unexpectedly, Dudley inched himself  in front of her, acting like a protective brother.

"You were right about them sneaking off, sir," he said, twirling his wand between his fingers. "Muggles really have no sense."

"It  isn't wise to paint them all with the same brush." The elderly man  stepped over the threshold. "Albus Dumbledore. We have corresponded, of  course, but it has been a long time since my last visit. Your rose  bushes are looking lovely, I must say. Shall we assume you graciously  invited me inside, Mr. Dursley?"

Her father was surprisingly  silent. Dumbledore's gaze flickered to her mother, who was beginning to  cut off circulation in her wrist.

"A pleasure to see you again,  Petunia." He turned towards Rosalie and Dudley, who was once again  clutching his backside, with a kind smile. "Forgive the intrusion but it  is a matter of utmost importance. May we speak in the living room?"

His  tone hinted that it was more than a request. Despite her father's  objections, threatening the elderly man to leave their home, Rosalie  followed him into the living room. Dudley tagged along, clearly afraid  of being turned into a full pig or worse. The tension from the Weasleys'  lingered, Dumbledore somehow maintaining his serene expression. Harry  always described him as a wise grandfatherly figure. Even in his old  age, there was something imposing about his presence.

Sitting in  an armchair, he introduced the older boy as Alec Cabot, a recent  Hogwarts graduate. He was one of several students participating in an  internship program that paired former students with professors to gain  proper experience. Feeling his dark eyes on her, Rosalie lowered her  head, trying to act oblivious.

"Normally, Alec would be handling  this matter by himself," he explained. For a second, she thought his  eyes narrowed a fraction of an inch. "But under these circumstances, I  thought it was best to accompany him."

"I—is Harry in trouble?"  she asked, fearing he was about to be expelled "He didn't mean to use  magic. He was goofing around and technically, the first time doesn't  count because it was a house elf that made that pudding float, not him.  Don't you have a three strikes policy?"

Dumbledore's pale eyes shined in the light. "Your cousin is in no trouble. We are here—"

"Is it because of Fred's candy?" she wondered. "I—it was an accident. Right, Dudley? They didn't mean to mess with your tongue."

Dudley was too busy staring at the blue carpet. "Typical Weasleys," mumbled Alec.

"I believe this will make things clear."

Reaching  into his robes, Dumbledore handed her an envelope, the same from this  morning. Her father was about to snatch it again but he lifted his hand,  with a groan, as if repelled by an invisible shield. Flipping it over,  her eyes widened at the waxy seal of the Hogwarts crest.

"I suggest you leave at once," her father snarled. "We won't entertain these delusions."

"If  anyone has been entertaining delusions, it is me," said Dumbledore, a  fury in his voice. "As I said during our last encounter, you are not  equipped to handle this situation. Lily's enchantment has been holding  on by a thread these past few years. Your negligence could have caused  far worse than an earthquake."

Her head snapped up at his words. "Wait, you think I caused it? I'm not—I'm not like Harry. We're the same age and I didn't get a letter."

Dumbledore  surveyed her with deep regret. The next few minutes made her question  if she was experiencing one of her vivid dreams. Ignoring her father's  increasingly purple face and her mother's quivering lip, he confessed  that he intended for her to receive her letter much earlier, arriving at  her home the day Hagrid brought Harry to Diagon Alley. It was common  for a professor to visit muggleborn families to explain their child's  unique abilities.

When she and Dudley were born, her mother  noticed odd incidents like Rosalie's blanket changing color. Recognizing  the signs from the years spent growing up with Aunt Lily, she begged  her estranged sister to 'fix' Rosalie. Her aunt enchanted a necklace to  inhibit her magic, though it was not enough to hide her from a magical  quill that recorded the birth of any witch or wizard in Britain.

Dumbledore's  arrival was met with denial and outrage, her parents refusing to send  her to Hogwarts. Sensing that it was a losing battle, he reluctantly  agreed to let her stay in the muggle world. He sent constant letters,  warning them of the dangers of an untrained witch, but her parents never  bothered to read them, throwing them in the trash. The earthquake  caught the attention of the Ministry, who was able to pinpoint her as  the culprit with a charm that tracked all underage magical children.  Quelling their concerns, Dumbledore surmised that her magic was growing  too rapidly, leading to the broken necklace and the reversal of her  aunt's spell.

"This is not a game," he said, unfazed by her  father's murderous expression. "I implore you to see reason and accept  that Rosalie must be enrolled at Hogwarts. She could cause serious harm  not only to herself but to others."

"She won't be going," stated her father. "I won't have you turn her into one of you freaks."

"Freaks?"  asked Alec, speaking for the first time. He crossed his arms. "You're  really Father of the Year, aren't you? Why don't you let her get a say?  It's her choice. She's the one with magic, not you."

"Alec," warned Dumbledore. "Mr. Dursley, surely you do not wish to see Rosalie in any danger."

As  they argued back and forth, Rosalie felt numb. Her parents had been  lying her entire life, never intending to reveal this hidden part of  her. Thinking back to the morning of the earthquake and Harry's reaction  to her accusation, she realized that she had been the one to make the  plates appear, not him. Dudley's look of disgust was one he usually  reserved for Harry or a piece of broccoli at dinner. While her parents'  voices were getting increasingly louder, Dumbledore somehow remained  even-tempered. Her mother somehow blamed her aunt and uncle, calling it a  twisted joke and believing they had poisoned her at her wedding.

"Perhaps  it's best for you to mull it over. You've had an eventful night but do  not think this discussion is over," said Dumbledore, rising from the  couch and brushing glittery powder from his robes. "I will be back  tomorrow, Mr. and Mrs. Dursley."

"It will be a waste of time," replied her father, his mustache twitching in anger. "I suggest you stay away from my home."

With  a small nod, Dumbledore left the house, accompanied by Alec who glanced  over her father with disdain. Her father ordered her and Dudley up to  their rooms but she did not move from the couch, her manicured fingers  digging into the cushion.

"Darling, it's time for bed," her mother said, gently. "I'll bring up some warm milk to help you sl—"

"Why  did you keep me?" Those four words conveyed her inner heartbreak. "You  knew all this time so why didn't you just give me away? You say you love  me but that's a lie."

"That old fool is putting nonsense in your  head," argued her father. "How dare you think that way, Rosalie? After  everything we've given you—"

"So you don't feel bad about keeping  secrets!" she interrupted, tears in her eyes. "How can you love me and  hate what I am? Because pretending it doesn't exist won't make it go  away. It's part of me!"

Her parents likely would have followed her  up the staircase, if it were not for her slamming her bedroom door. In  any other scenario, she would be venting to Mina over the phone but she  doubted even her best friend would believe her about being a witch. The  only one who could understand was Harry, who was miles away with his  friends. A wisp of purple smoke formed over her bed and a small piece of  parchment appeared on her pillow.

Remember, it's your choice.

Later  that night, emboldened by Alec's words, she quietly sneaked down to the  living room with a packed suitcase. She was unsure of her next step,  having no way to write to Harry. The previous summer, after accidentally  making Aunt Marge swell up like a balloon and storming out of the  house, he hitched a ride on the Knight Bus but he never explained how he  summoned it. Pacing around the room, stopping each time she heard her  father's loud snores, she spotted a drawstring under the coffee table.  The glittery powder inside was the same that Dumbledore wiped from his  robes and the Weasleys used to travel back home.

Mimicking Mr.  Weasley, she scooped it into her hand and tossed it into the fireplace,  the flames turning emerald green. Her heart raced at the thought that  she was essentially running away, leaving the life she knew for a  mysterious world, one that she had been denied for years. Taking a deep,  shaky breath, she stepped into the fireplace.

"T—the B—burrow," she stuttered.

It  felt like she was being sucked through the chimney. Spinning very fast  and a deafening roar in her ears, she stumbled forward but managed to  steady herself before her face smashed into the wooden floor.

"Rosie?!"

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

70.9K 2.3K 49
(A Draco Malfoy x she/her Reader fanfiction) Your time as a Hufflepuff at Hogwarts and the Second Wizarding War is a few years behind you as you star...
66.7K 1.5K 24
Two people pushed together by pressure from family members creates something deeper than they could ever imagine. draco malfoy post-war fanfiction
12.9K 494 29
Y/N is a muggle born. All her life she had been taught normal things. But when her Hogwarts letter arrives, she can't help but be giddy with exciteme...
114K 10.6K 78
Two arrogant, stubborn and headstrong enemies who are the bane of each other's existence. So, what happens when the temperature rises? Does disdain u...