BiTTER (Shokugeki no Souma Fa...

By -idxris

Fumi lacks a lot of things. He's Taste-deaf. He's blind to most smells. He did not have the strength and culi... More

0.
1. O'Tama and Fumi-pon
2. Dreams and Dreams
3. Injuries and Scars
4. Losing and Accepting
5. Best and Worst Dishes
6. Past and Present Pursuits
7. Brown and Blonde Hair
8. Mistake and Mistakes
9. Fail, Fail, and Retry
10. Yell and Yell Louder
12. Stay Calm and... nevermind
13. Town Trips and Tea Tasting
14. Crepes and Luxury Cuisine
15. Effort and Failing Expectations
16. Dissociate and Associate (Bond)
17. Practice and Growing Stronger
18. Sending Off and Scouting Out
19. Knife Scars and Burn-Scarred
20. Lost and Found
21. Our Home and my Home, too
22. Warm Meals and Calm Banter.
23. Reason For and Reasons to Be.
24. Precision and Development
25. Learning Curves and Experiences
26. Errors and Improvisations
27. Rivals and Friends.
28. Stepping Up and Higher.
29. Of Christmas and Love Languages.

11. Gain and finally, Succeed

8K 552 114
By -idxris

AN: What do you think would be a good nickname for Eda, based on his food specialty?

-

Shinomiya passed his test so easily, he made the other participants look like utter jokes. He even sent a smug grin in their direction for good measure. Cleared within the first bite, he retrieved his room key, set a hand on his luggage-- and turned back toward the kitchen.

Eda was eyeing the oven, a finger tapping impatiently at his arm. It wasn't going to make the crust bake any faster, but there wasn't much else to do.

"Not going to settle down?" Sekimori asked from beside him, and Shinomiya hummed in response. Sekimori smiled warmly. "Are you worried?"

Shinomiya raised a brow, "who's worried," he hissed, then flinched and lowered his head in apology, "ah-- sorry, senpai. I mean, I'm interested, but definitely not... worried."

Sekimori laughed.

With a sigh, Eda let his eyes leave the oven, and he made his way to the counters to clean up. Baking of any sort always seemed to leave an incredibly messy and powdery aftermath, but Eda seemed to deal with it easily enough, knowing exactly what to do to get the stubborn sticks out of the corners.

Eda mumbled under his breath. "The caramel glaze was two seconds out of time, so it'll be a little bitter. The tart had a pinch more sugar than required-- the apples are fresh, and... they're a different type... they look like Granny Smith apples... a cooking school would have those, right? Then they're less sweet than the ones back at home..."

Shinomiya shushed the upperclassman that was still laughing. Eda was muttering something-- his food's in the goddamn oven, what could he be deliberating anymore?

"If it's too sweet," Eda opened the fridge and took a long, good stare at the contents, eyes darting about every ingredient possible. "Need to fix it, need to fix it-- something bitter? No, that would ruin it. Whipped cream or ice cream? Ah, no cream. Ice cream might not be enough... oh."

He took out a lemon.

-

"Would you care for some dessert, ma'am?"

He removed the cloche. They could already smell it from the oven, but the burnt sweetness of caramelised apples filled the room and soon a crowd was around them again, all craving a similar midnight snack.

Eda smiled, setting the lid down at the side. He hadn't said a cheesy line like that since his past life as a patissier. Hiding his left hand behind his back, classic dining etiquette for ugly scars, he gestured with his right hand.

"Tarte tatin and warm lemon tea, do enjoy."

And the crowd around them resounded in a series of oohs and aahs. It's a culinary academy that focuses on various aspects of food, with dessert being a minor element among many. Needless to say, they didn't see beautiful, very girly dishes like these very often.

The apples were sliced, arranged, and charred just slightly-- set atop the brown tart crust, it was a glamourous, blooming rose. Atop of it, half-melted vanilla ice cream drowned the creases, raspberry sauce and blueberries peppering every which angle.

The dessert came right out of a three-star restaurant, from the splendorous presentation to the breathtaking aroma. One whiff could make a girl fall in love-- even Sekimori instinctively gulped, salivating was a natural reaction to this.

"You're seriously serving an old granny like me such a princess-like dish?" Fumio mused, "it's like tea time right out of a fairy tale."

Eda shrank a little at that, smile straining-- "I... I mean..." he found Sekimori and ducked behind the senior, "part of the dessert is the presentation... and-- yeah."

"Have some confidence in your own dish, dammit," Shinomiya poked him at the side of his head, "this is why you're always failing."

"Shut up, Pinkymiya."

"Why is that the only thing you can say fluently?"

Fumio sighed at the two. Seemed like she was in for a very strange duo again... it's rare enough that children from the middle school division want to join the dorms-- even less of them come to any chance of passing.

Shinomiya is an exception among exceptions. Now, what about Eda?

She took a sip of the warm, inviting lemon tea. Sour and so soothing-- but it was, like yesterday, nothing out of the ordinary.

Then she took a bite of the apple tart, and the world just bloomed.

-

"No, not my calvados!"

"You little punk, you smuggled in brandy?!"

"This is a culinary school and Jou-san gave it to me! It's perfectly legal! I think!"

Fumio burst into nothing but praises after her first bite. Her second bite and she called it divine, and by her third, she was no longer talking. She was simply absorbed into eating, taking sips of the tea here and there and generally having a luxurious time. She wouldn't let anyone steal a bite of her food.

After that, whoever was around just raided the kitchen. Someone scrounged for the leftovers of Shinomiya's dish, and others pried around for hints of whatever magic Eda did with his.

Needless to say, having a horde of seniors investigate the area you were previously in is terrifying. Even Shinomiya had to agree with that.

Once they found the alcohol, though, Shinomiya joined in on the yelling at Eda.

"I didn't put a lot in, I swear! You can't even taste it!"

"So you did add some?! How did we miss that?"

"Ahhh, my secret ingredient!"

"It's confiscated!!"

Sekimori watched Shinomiya and Eda bicker from across the room. When his eyes met the Dorm Mother's, they smiled.

Life in the dorms was finally going to be noisy again with these two additions.

"Eda," Fumio spoke up, "you're on a roll today, aren't you? I've never been a fan of desserts at night, but I just couldn't stop myself!"

At that, Eda stopped right where he was (Shinomiya crashed into him, having been running after the kid,) and stiffened with a bow, "uh- ah, thank you for the kind words!" He flushed a little, "I'm.. sorry I couldn't make it less sweet than necessary!"

Fumio chortled heartily, reaching to the key closet and tossing a pair in the boy's direction.

Eda, in a panicked fumble, played hot potato with it before ultimately dropping it. Shinomiya dove down to catch it, and they both breathed out a sigh of relief.

Then it registered.

"Welcome to Polar Star Dormitory, you two!" Fumio grinned, "get your things and settle in, cause from today on, you're part of the family!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.3K 1.2K 25
tobio and kei liked eachother but we're too stubborn to admit their feelings. they weren't even out as gay and both of their parents were homophobic...
24.8K 752 40
Cooking is his specialty, his passion, and his purpose. Shiro, the older sister, will always support her little brother no matter what. Sometimes Shi...
140K 3.9K 32
You were abandoned by your family and left on the streets until Soma's dad found you. Now you live with them and cook with them. What happens when So...
75.8K 1.7K 11
Sara Yukihira, fraternal twin sister of Soma Yukihira and daughter of Jōichirō Yukihira, has been cooking for 12 years of her life and has love every...