TAMING MAX (Completed)

By BellaVanice

Max was arrogant, rich, and from the Upper East Side. Lillie was struggling and barely scraping by until fate... More

CHAPTER 1 - THE PROPOSITION
CHAPTER 2 - PICK YOUR MOUTH UP OFF THE FLOOR
CHAPTER 3 - WHY ARE YOU IN MY APARTMENT?
CHAPTER 4 - TODAY WAS ENLIGHTENING
CHAPTER 5 - A LITTLE DINNER, A LITTLE DANCING
CHAPTER 6 - SURPRISE VISITOR
CHAPTER 7 - A DAY IN NEW PORT
CHAPTER 8 - A GLIMPSE BEHIND THE WALL
CHAPTER 9 - PALE AS A GHOST
CHAPTER 10 - THE CONVERSATION THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING!
CHAPTER 11 - IS THERE SOMETHING IN THE WATER?
CHAPTER 12 - THE STRANGERS OUTSIDE
CHAPTER 13 - THE SPOOKY OLD MANSION
CHAPTER 14 - THE FILE
CHAPTER 16 - THE SECRET KEY
CHAPTER 17 - THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
CHAPTER 18 - THE WILD GOOSE CHASE
CHAPTER 19 - THE RECORDING
CHAPTER 20 - CONFIDENTIAL
CHAPTER 21 - BLACK AND BLUE
CHAPTER 22 - FINAL ARRANGEMENTS
CHAPTER 23 - TRYING TO FORGET
CHAPTER 24 - 112 Aston Street
CHAPTER 25 - THE MYSTERY MAN
CHAPTER 26 - THE BUSINESS
CHAPTER 27 - I'M SORRY
CHAPTER 28 - THE BEAT DOWN
CHAPTER 29 - THE TEXT
CHAPTER 30 - MY ENTIRE BODY SHUDDERED
CHAPTER 31 - THE NOTE
CHAPTER 32 - THE CONFESSION
CHAPTER 33 - THE SECRET REVEALED
CHAPTER 34 - THE MAN IN THE BLACK SUIT
CHAPTER 35 - Ninety Five Miles An Hour
CHAPTER 36 - I SHOULD HAVE CARED, BUT I DIDN'T
CHAPTER 37 - A HAND COVERED MY MOUTH
CHAPTER 38 - MEN IN BLACK
CHAPTER 39 - THE DARK ROOM
CHAPTER 40 - THEY HAVE HER
CHAPTER 41 - THE RESCUE
CHAPTER 42- SHE IS FINALLY FREE
CHAPTER 43 - MAKING OUR ESCAPE
CHAPTER 44 - THE CASTLE ON THE HILL
CHAPTER 45 - YOU HAVE MY BLESSING
CHAPTER 46 - WHATEVER WILL YOU DO WITH ME?
CHAPTER 47 - SWEET KISSES
CHAPTER 48 - SPILLING OUR GUTS
CHAPTER 49 - THE PHONE CALL
CHAPTER 50 - OUR LAST DAY
CHAPTER 51 - SIRENS RANG OUT
CHAPTER 52 - SHE LAY STILL
CHAPTER 53 - PATIENTLY WAITING
CHAPTER 54 - AND WE'RE OFF
CHAPTER 55 - A NEW ERA
CHAPTER 56 - THE TWO SURPRISES
CHAPTER 57 - EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 15 - THE INTERRUPTION

1.4K 77 10
By BellaVanice

What was Mr. Livingston doing with a file with my name on it? There was no way I was leaving that office without finding out the answer to that question.

I pulled it out quickly and began looking through it being careful to watch the door. The last thing I needed was Mr. Livingston or one of his goonies catching me.

The first page was information on my financial history. It was followed by a very thorough background report and it got real creepy once the photos started. They dated back months prior and were of my apartment, me coming and going from work, and me in Max's apartment.I couldn't tear my eyes away from them. 

While I was staring in disbelief I heard the office door creek and looked up in a panic. A sense of relief filled me when I realized it was just Max. It didn't escape me that if he had been looking at the other files on the desk, he had to know there was one on me.

"What's the hold-up Lillie, we're running late?" He asked as he entered the office.

I hurriedly put the files away and joined him so that we could head to the car. Just before he opened the door for me, I worked up the nerve to ask the question that was haunting me.

"Max, why does your father have a file on me?"

His face turned as pale as a ghost and his expression completely changed. I was unable to read it and wondered if I had messed up by revealing that I knew about the file.

"Now is not the time Lillie, we will discuss it later," he said very matter of factly.

I took my seat inside the limousine joining Piper and Chase who were waiting on us. I couldn't help but steal a glance at Chase. When my eyes found his, he read me like a book. He knew something was wrong and was asking me what without saying a word.

Piper glanced at each of us awkwardly. She knew something was wrong too. How could she not with Max staring out of the window ignoring us like an arrogant jerk? He had made the switch again, he was back to being Max the prick with one question.

The rest of the ride was mostly silent with Chase attempting to make a few jokes and Piper staring at him like he was some sort of Calvin Klein model.

When we reached the event it was just as I suspected. A bunch of rich people thinking they were far more important than they actually were. If they would just donate the money they spent on the gala itself I am sure that would suffice. Of course, the event was for some ridiculously expensive private school so you would think they could raise enough money with tuition alone.

There was a red carpet rolled out for us and we walked hand in hand like real couples. We had to keep up the charade, that was what they were paying me for after all.

Piper looked like a deer in headlights. She had never been to an event like that and was from the same side of the tracks that I was. She must have felt the same way I did the first time I attended one, like Cinderella with the clock about to strike midnight.

Once we were seated there was a gorgeous silver bucket in the center of the table filled with chilled bottles of champagne. Chase grabbed a bottle and asked who would like some. I offered up my glass immediately. He honestly couldn't pour if fast enough as far as I was concerned.

After seeing that file I was beginning to question everything. What had I gotten myself into? I had always thought the entire situation was a bit strange but that file was the icing on the cake. Like I said in the beginning, he could get any girl he wanted. Why did his father feel the need to go slumming to find one?

Max still wasn't saying much but when a song started that prompted the crowd to fill the dance floor, he extended his hand to me. I reluctantly took it and noticed that Chase and Piper followed close behind us. At least the thought of her feeling like a princess for the night made me smile if nothing else about that night did.

Max pulled me close to him but it felt like there were a thousand miles between us. He looked like he wanted to tell me something but for some reason, he was holding back.

I kept a fake smile plastered on my face for appearance's sake but he knew it was not genuine. I couldn't tell if he was angry, embarrassed, or sorry for what I had found. The man was a master at disguising his emotions.

We continued our dance and when the song was over another one began. It was even slower and he asked me to stay on the floor with him. I had no idea why but it was a relief when he finally broke his silence.

"Lillie, did you really think my father would allow you anywhere near me if he didn't already know every detail of your life?" he asked.

I was thinking about his question and about to answer it when I saw Chase tap him on the shoulder. He was standing there with Piper asking Max if he could cut in. It gave me a sense of satisfaction when Max rolled his eyes. It served him right for being so secretive.

Max let go of me and began dancing with Piper and I found myself in Chase's arms. It was the first time since we left the mansion that I felt like I could relax. Somehow, I always felt safe with him. We danced for a moment and he glared so deeply into my eyes that I thought he could see inside my soul.

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on?" he finally asked me.

At that moment I literally crumbled in his arms. I pulled him close and snuggled into his chest. He was the one person that I knew truly cared about me. I never had to guess where I stood with him. He was always honest with his words and his feelings.

"I found a file in Mr. Livingston's office with my name on it and Max is being his usual gracious self. He gave me some line about how his father had to know who I was before he let me into his son's life."

He gave me a sympathetic look and I knew I wasn't going to like what he had to say.

"Lillie, I know it probably sounded like a line but I really think he is telling you the truth. Mr. Livingston does nothing without calculating the cost and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had you investigated before making that deal with you."

I thought about what he said and even though it was the same thing Max told me, I somehow believed it when he said it.

"Thank you," I whispered in his ear.

"For what?"

"For being you because you always make me feel so special and you are always honest with me."

"That's because you are special special to me and you will never have to doubt my honesty."

Those words sounded so simple and sweet in my world that had felt upside down for so long. I wrapped my arms around his neck and whispered into his ear, "Why are you so perfect?"

A smile filled his face and for the first time all night, I found a real one on mine. When the song finally ended I was a little sad. I had to let go of Chase and go back to Max. When we sat back down I suddenly felt Max's hand on my thigh as he leaned over and whispered in my ear.

"Did you enjoy having your arms wrapped around my best friend?"

I politely moved his hand off of my leg and asked Piper to join me in the ladies' room. Even though I knew I couldn't tell her about everything that was going on, I needed a break. It would at least be a nice distraction from Max.

As soon as we were away from the guys she started telling me about what a gentlemen Max was and how much fun she was having with Chase. It was so nice to see a smile on her face and know that the night had made her feel special.

When we returned to the table the guys were standing up and putting their jackets on. They both had worried looks on their faces and I was suddenly alarmed. Whatever was going on, I knew it couldn't be good.

"We have to go," Max said.

"Why, what's wrong?" I asked.

Chase put his hand on my back, "Not now Lillie."

I trusted him and if he thought I should keep quiet then I would. We rode back to the mansion without a single word being said. You could have cut the tension with a knife. I kept staring at  Max's leg restlessly bouncing up and down from nervousness.

The limo was going at incredible speeds and I was growing more worried by the minute. As soon as we pulled up in front of the mansion, Mr. Livingston's assistant ran out to greet us.

"He has been asking for you Maxwell," he said to Max. I wasn't used to him being addressed so formally and it sounded odd hearing his full name.

We all ran toward his father's room and Max stopped just as his hand touched the knob. He turned to me and held his hand out for mine. Even though I was angry at him, I took his hand and he led us into the room.

As soon as his father came into view, he squeezed my hand and his knees began to buckle. 

**********

A/N

Thanks for continuing to follow Max and Lillie's journey. I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback. What do you think they saw when they entered Mr. Livingston's room? Do you think that is the real reason Mr. Livingston had a file on Lillie?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

214 123 31
Daniella, a highschool had the perfect life to her understanding until this happened.. **just read**no spoiler
1.4K 93 28
She was a beauty by far the most attractive girl he had ever laid eyes on. He was drawn to her from the moment he met her. Despite her being a human...
681K 31.5K 75
She hadn't realized that she was completely naked under him. His hands were everywhere, sending spit of fire on every single spot of her body. He was...
1.7M 47.7K 49
*editing* π‘π¨π¬πž π†π«πšπ‘πšπ¦ is an ordinary reader who dreamed of finding true love and spending the rest of her life with him. But unfortunately...