When The Stars Align

By prantikawrites

[BLOOD FOR NOATRA; BOOK 1] Vera Carmicheal is not supposed to be the thieving murderer that Noatra fears. She... More

when the stars align
before
chapter one | crowns and cloaks
chapter two | prisoners and visitors
chapter three | salt to the wound
chapter four | life and death
chapter five | lower your voices
chapter six | it goes downhill from here
chapter seven | home sweet home
chapter eight | what's your emergency?
chapter nine | running through the rooftops
chapter ten | good night, sleep tight, don't let the nightmares bite
chapter eleven | eavesdropping
chapter thirteen | political decisions
chapter fourteen | the ups and downs of falling in love
chapter fifteen | the life of an elementary school dropout
chapter sixteen | unwanted guests
chapter seventeen | the worst is yet to come
chapter eighteen | but syrup is thicker than blood
chapter nineteen | we'll be the stars
chapter twenty | i'll follow you to the graveyard
chapter twenty one | frostbites
chapter twenty two | old photographs
chapter twenty three | fighting f̶i̶r̶e̶ magic with f̶i̶r̶e̶ magic
chapter twenty four | in the dark
chapter twenty five | t - minus six days (till you're eighteen!)
chapter twenty six | ghost of you
chapter twenty seven | the magic within
chapter twenty eight | ansen grey strikes again
chapter twenty nine | green means go
chapter thirty | i love(d) you
chapter thirty one | hey, you
chapter thirty two | roselake
chapter thirty three | the fine art of delivering a baby
chapter thirty four | take two
chapter thirty five | torture
chapter thirty six | to the bone
chapter thirty seven | relapse
chapter thirty eight | midnight conversations
chapter thirty nine | drawing the line
chapter forty | okay, okay?
chapter forty one | uncovering history
chapter forty two | party crashers
chapter forty three | the calm
chapter forty four | before the
chapter forty five | storm
chapter forty six | queen of noatra
after
author's note + sequel

chapter twelve | morning calls

62 12 1
By prantikawrites

HE SAID HE'D KEEP his hands to himself, but we end up in a tangle of limbs.

At least, that's what I remember from one of times I woke up in the night. His arm draped around me, holding me close. His legs were close to mine, my hair tickling his face. I wouldn't say it was romantic, but maybe that was me denying my emotions. It shouldn't be romantic.

He has a girlfriend.

This time, when I wake up - not because of a need to throw up, or my body suddenly growing a hundred degrees warmer, or because my chest felt like it was on fire - I'm alone. The night before was a blur in my memory, but I knew it wasn't a fun one for me, or Atticus, or Victoria in the other room, who ended up basically camping out in my room after my third time awake.

I push away my covers, feeling the burning sensation on my face. When I raised my head, the world spun. I wanted to get out of this room and see what was going on, but it seemed like an impossible task.

I've had worse days, I then told myself.

Hauling myself to the bathroom, I'm wary of each step. Just over one month was capable of stripping me of whatever warrior I used to be. I looked like the walking dead when I looked in the mirror. The taste of toothpaste in my mouth made me gag and I had to try my very best not to throw up again. I wasn't even sure if there was anything to throw up. I lost too many fluids in the last ten hours.

My muscles, my bones, every part of me was sore from the night before. Pain seared through my leg with each step but I ignored it to the best of my ability. I had no energy to shower, but I should maybe do that sooner or later.

Still exhausted, I drag myself out of my bedroom. I could hear the chatter from everyone downstairs. The most delectable smell of my childhood filled the hallways. It was more like my nose led the rest of my body to my destination.

Victoria greeted me with a smile as I entered through the doorway. She immediately rushed over, placing her hand against my forehead. It makes that she's started to act more like our mother, with kids of her own, but everything is just... weird.

"Still a fever," she muttered, more to herself. "It's shocking you were able to drag yourself out of bed, I expected you to be passed out for most of the day. You're just in time for lunch, if you can stomach it."

"We have soup!" Camden exclaimed, holding up his spoon. The kids broke out into a small chorus of them screaming the word "soup", which was kind of cute, but annoying at the same time. Lionel and Isadora looked the their younger siblings, shaking their heads, Leo returning to the book he was reading after. I ruffled the Camden's hair as I slid into my chair.

Sophia looked well rested, carrying Kaden in her arms. I didn't notice last night, but the little boy managed to hit his head somewhere, a bump forming on his forehead. He didn't seem concerned about it, though. His mother gave me a kinder smile than what she gave me yesterday. "It must've been a tough night for you. If you need anything, let us know."

Her kindness throws me off, leaving me not knowing what to say. She lets out a small laugh as she continues to feed Kaden. Maybe Lysander told her to be nicer. Or maybe she just warmed up in the span of a couple days. Or hours.

Atticus limps into the dining room, his hair a mess. I'm not where he just was - maybe just in the washroom. He gives me a kind smile as he slips into the seat across from me, reaching for a plate. "I'm starving, Vic. What's on the menu? Please feed me."

She gives me a small smirk. "I'm only responsible for feeding six people at this table, excluding myself, Atticus."

"Yeah, your five kids and me, obviously."

Victoria places the bowl of warm soup in front of me, placing a spoon beside it. "Yes, so I believe the younger sister that is under eighteen and blood related to me that lacks some parents is absolutely not my responsibility to feed, and you are more important."

Atticus laughs. "Sure, whatever. Feed her instead of me. She looks like she's going to fade away, anyway."

Our household was never big on having butlers or maids or cooks, just a few to help tend to such a huge mansion. Tori and Lys have grow used to helping around with tasks like cooking or cleaning, despite the fact that Tori has a whole staff of people back at the castle. When she's back home, she does everything herself, and Sophie easily fell into the routine, with Lysander helping out.

I tossed him my spoon. "Shut up, and maybe you should try prison food sometimes. That thing is meant to keep people alive, it isn't edible."

He dodges the cutlery easily - it wasn't like I was aiming for it to hit him. "I feel like that statement contradicts itself, but whatever you say, Vera. How are you supposed to live off something that isn't edible."

"You believe brussel sprouts are inedible but you can live off those!"

"Brussel sprouts are disgusting," he stated, pretending to gag. That didn't change about him either, I guess. "They have no flavour."

"Atticus!" Victoria exclaimed, gesturing to the kids at the table.

He turned red, ruffling his hair. "Oh, no, yeah, brussel sprouts are great. Eat your vegetables, kids. Then you'll be big and strong like me." He flexed his arms as a joke. I rolled my eyes. Typical.

I look down at the soup, swirling it around with a spare spoon. I knew I needed something in my stomach, but the vegetables and chicken pieces made me nauseous. I picked up the broth with my spoon, mostly, the pieces sinking to the ground.

"Where's Lys?" I asked, realising he wasn't in the room. The king wasn't either, but I could care less about him. "Did he go to work?"

Sophia nodded. "After last night's incident, he and King Pheon had to head over and investigate the area, trying to figure out what they wanted when they broke in."

I put the spoon down. "I mean, they could have just asked me. I know what was going on. I could tell you exactly what they wanted."

"You were tired and we didn't want to wake you up." Probably not the king, but I didn't interrupt. "The public wanted answers as quick as possible. And actually-" Sophia glanced to the drawing room, then the clock. "I'm pretty sure they're supposed to broadcast an announcement in the next couple-"

The TV flickered on, like it always did when a royal broadcast occurred. I pushed myself up, standing up and walking to the drawing room. Victoria, Sophia and Atticus followed, the kids staying in the dining room. The king's face filled the screen, with reporters crowding around him. The crowd grew quiet as he began to speak.

"There is little we know of about the events from the past evening, but as your king, I am here to provide you with as much information as I can regarding the situation," the king began. His hand went to his tie, fixing it up a bit. "A group commonly known as the Silent Death invaded the castle when the queen and I were out. The royal children, along with our niece and nephew, were in the building at the time."

The Silent Death wasn't a new group to the public. Ansen left trails of their - our - presence often, but none of the members were known by name.

"The only member known to us as of now is Amelia Covington, who remains within our custody as we attempt to gain more information. The Royal Guard has yet to find more of other members, or of their motive of the break in.

"There has been also questions from the public of the recent sightings of Amelia Covington outside from the past day, which has raised questions about public safety. I'd like to acknowledge that Ms. Covington was heavily guarded at the time, when she was outside."

I lie. The king lied for me. Or for the reputation of his wife.

"And in addition to that, Ms Covington was the one that helped the children out of the castle safely in the duration of the break in. I'd like to express my gratitude to her -"

The three other in the room, glanced at me, but my eyes stayed focused on the screen. There had to be a catch to this, there had to be something at the end of this, because the king was furious with me last night, and I'm sure a heart could easily change overnight. Even Sophia was a little wary.

The king glances to the side before his next statement, almost as if he was waiting for confirmation. "In return of her kindness, Amelia Covington, or as many of you may know her or have heard of her, Vera Annalise Carmicheal, will be granted a certain degree of freedom, which includes her lashes eradicated and the ability to stay out of the kingdom prison - while heavily guarded. Her interrogation continues.

"As for good news, our family has welcomed a healthy baby girl on September twenty ninth. Both she and the queen are doing well. Her Highness Queen Victoria and I have chosen the name Annalise Grace Lyra Alderidge for the baby girl, chosen originally to honour my mother, Grace Alderidge, and the queen's mother and sister.

"This brings me to the end of this conference. I will not be taking questions as of now."

The king turns back and enters the castle, two guards following him back. The doors shut close, and rioting from the citizens start, demanding more information.

The screen flickers back to black. That was it. That was the end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 138 8
She was once POWERLESS. Now she's POWERFUL. 🗝 The colour of your blood determines your status. Storm has believed her whole life that she's a nobody...
26.9K 998 44
Please read Their Human before this one. It can not be read as a standalone. ♡♡♡ When months pass after peace is restored in Lunaria, Akielia works h...
29.1K 1.3K 49
In a world where the color of one's blood determines their strength, Nell Fiala was born exceptionally weak. As a colorless girl, she always thought...
561 27 8
Taking the newly trained hunter out for her first real world hunting experience, Eden was on edge, she'd had a bad feeling about this trip and had tr...