Charlie & Alex: After the DG

Door dumpingground_20_13

It had almost been a year since Charlie left the Dumping Ground. To follow in her Grandad's footsteps and see... Meer

Chapter One: Reunited
Chapter Three: Back To The DG
Chapter Four: The Kettle Stand
Chapter Five: Settling Back Home/A Gift

Chapter Two: Like An Ordinary Family

316 8 0
Door dumpingground_20_13

It was nearing midnight by the time Alex got back home. He'd spent almost all his money on Taxis that day, but it was worth it just to see Charlie. Once he got to the front door of the house, it was locked. So he unlocked the door with his set of keys and went inside. There were no lights on in the house, and it was silent. So he tried his best not to make too much noise, avoid the risk of waking anyone up. As he locked the door and prepared to sneak up the stairs, the lights in the hallway came on all of a sudden. Making Alex jump, along with the sudden appearance of his mum. Stood there, in the hallway, in her dressing gown. Arms crossed, and not with the happiest expressions on her face.

ALEX
Jeeze! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?

AILEEN
What time do you call this?

ALEX
Sorry?

AILEEN
It's half eleven Alex. Where've you been? I've been worried sick!

ALEX
Yeah, sorry. Charlie needed help getting settled in and that-

AILEEN
Well, you could've at least called or text to let us know. Did you not get any of my messages?

Alex looked at his phone and saw the numerous text messages and voice mails from his mum.

ALEX
Oh... Sorry, I must've turned my phone off or something.

AILEEN
Why on earth would you do that?

ALEX
Oh, I dunno. Maybe because of the constant texts and calls beforehand? I'm not a kid.

AILEEN
Well, you're back home safely, so that's the main thing. But in future, could you please let me know what your plans are.

ALEX
Yeah, sorry.

AILEEN
So, how was Charlie then? Did she have a nice time?

ALEX
Yeah, she's fine.

Alex made his way upstairs, whilst texting Charlie. Letting her know he'd got back home. Barely even looking at Aileen.

AILEEN
Night then(!)

Aileen shook her head and went into the kitchen to get herself a drink before going back to bed.

As Alex got to the top of the stairs and made his way to his bedroom. As he was approaching the door, he got a text back from Charlie. He smiled and entered his room, got himself ready for bed and went to sleep.

The next day, Aileen and her husband, Steven, had to nip out rather early in the morning for a last-minute business meeting. Alice was already up and at it before they set off, so she was fully aware of the situation. Alex was fast asleep in bed at this point. Aileen and Steve left the house at about 8:00 am. Leaving Alice with the whole house to herself. But she wasted no time and decided to go awake Alex up. Partly because she was hungry, and wanted some breakfast, but also because she was bored. She sneaked into his bedroom, Alex was still asleep at this point. She smirked, and slowly snook over to Alex. who was lying on his side, facing the doorway. He slowly opened his eyes, to the sight of Alice's face directly in front of him. Staring, and waiting for him to wake up. 

ALICE
Hello!

The rude awakening startled Alex, causing him to jump out of his skin. Making Alice laugh.

ALEX
Alice!

ALICE
Morning!

ALEX
What're you playing at?!

ALICE
Waking you up.

Alex checked the time on his phone, it was 5-past-eight.

ALEX
Why the hell are you waking me up so early?

ALICE
I'm starving.

ALEX
Go and pester mum instead, then.

ALICE
I would, but her and Dad have gone out. Business meeting.

Alex groaned and slumped back down into bed. Alice rolled her eyes and poked him.

ALEX
Ow! 

Alex turned over to face Alice, who was just innocently smiling.

ALEX
What?

ALICE
Can you make me some breakfast?

Alex rolled back over in his bed, trying to ignore his sister.

ALEX
No.

ALICE
Please?

ALEX
No.

ALICE
Pretty please?

ALEX
Pretty no.

ALICE
Come on, I'm starving!

ALEX
Then, go have a carrot or something.

ALICE
I don't want a stupid carrot.

Alex didn't move a muscle. So Alice started to shake Alex, hoping this would annoy him enough to make him cave-in and get up to prepare her some breakfast.

ALICE
Come on!

ALEX
Alright! God! Just give me 5 minutes.

Alice sighed and paused for a moment. She then smirked after having an idea and pulled the bed covers off Alex. Causing him to slip off the bed.

About 10 minutes later, Alex was awake and downstairs in the kitchen. Making breakfast for him and Alice, whilst listening to the radio. Alice came into the kitchen.

ALICE
Isn't it ready yet?

ALEX
Well, you were the one who wanted a full English breakfast.

ALICE
When will it be ready?

ALEX
Soon, alright(!)

ALICE
Alright, keep your hair on.

ALEX
Would you mind setting the table?

ALICE
I'm not your slave.

ALEX
I'm not your cook, yet here I am making you your favourite breakfast.

Alice gave in and did as she was told. 

After she'd finished setting the table, Alex had just about finished cooking. He put served the breakfast out on the table, and he and Alice sat down to eat. The two of them tucked into their food. Alex glanced over at Alice, to try and work out if she approved of his cooking or not.

ALEX
Is it edible?

ALICE
Yeah. Just about.

ALEX
Make your own next time, then.

ALICE
I was only joking, chill out.

Alex gave Alice a sarcastic smile, she mimicked one back at him.

ALICE
Anyway, why would I make my own? You're the chef.

ALEX
Pfft! Hardly. I'm lucky if I'm allowed to make a bloody sandwich at work.

After a while, Alice had finished eating. She set her cutlery down on the plate, whilst Alex finished eating his.

ALICE
Thank you.

Alice smiled sweetly at Alex.

ALEX
No problem.

Alex finished his last bit of remaining bacon, put his cutlery down and checked his phone.

ALICE
So?

Alex looked at Alice.

ALEX
What?

ALICE
How did it go?

ALEX
How did what go?

ALICE
Yesterday? Seeing Charlie?

Alex shrugged.

ALEX
Fine.

Alex stood up and took the plates to the sink and washed them. Alice followed him.

ALICE
Was she happy to see you?

Alex rolled his eyes and tried to ignore her.

ALICE
Hello?!

ALEX
Yeah, I guess.

ALICE
Did you kiss her?

Alice said this is a taunting way, she enjoyed winding Alex up about Charlie. She could tell how much he liked her. Not that he ever admitted it.

ALEX
Why would I do that? She's just a... ..friend.

Alex continued doing the dishes. Meanwhile, his phone buzzed, which he'd left on the counter. He grabbed the towel to dry his hands before picking up his phone, but Alice snatched the phone before Alex got the chance to.

ALEX
Oi! Give it back!

ALICE
Nope.

Alex tried snatching the phone back off Alice, but she ran around the room, laughing.
Alex chased her. 

ALEX
I mean it, Alice. Give me my phone back!

Alex threw the towel at Alice. It missed and knocked over an empty glass on the table, causing it to smash on the floor. She continued laughing and running and began reading Alex & Charlie's text messages.

ALICE
There's no way she's just a friend, you send each other kisses!

ALEX
That doesn't prove anything.

ALICE
It proves you lurve her.

ALEX
Give it back. Alice, give it back!

Alex continued chasing his sister, trying to get his phone back off her. While all this was going on, Aileen and Steven pulled up outside. As they entered the house, they immediately made their way to the kitchen. After hearing all the commotion coming from it. By the time they'd entered the room, Alex and Alice were practically wrestling each other.

AILEEN
What on earth is going on in here?!

Alex and Alice stopped. Their mother gave them both a very stern and cross look. Alice put her hands behind her back, hiding the fact that she had Alex's phone. She was trying not to laugh. But Aileen was mainly looking at Alex, as he was the oldest.

AILEEN
Well?! Who knocked this drink over?

ALEX
It wasn't my fault. She took my phone!

ALICE
I never.

ALEX
Yeah you did!

STEVEN
Oi! Enough!

Aileen continued to glare at them both, looking as though she was at the end of her tether.

AILEEN
Alice?

Alice sighed and held her hands up. Showing she had the phone.

ALICE
It was just a joke.

AILEEN
Well, clearly, he doesn't find it very funny, does he?
Give it back and apologise. NOW.

Alice sighed again and handed Alex's phone back to him.

ALICE
Sorry.

ALEX
Yeah, whatever.

AILEEN
Right, now Alice, go get yourself dressed and ready for your riding lesson.
Alex, you can tidy this mess up.

ALEX
But she-

AILEEN
It's not up for discussion.

Aileen left the room and went upstairs. Alice followed. Trying not to make eye contact with her brother. Alex got to work and started clearing up the mess in the kitchen.

STEVEN
You OK?

ALEX
Yeah.

Alex began picking up the bits of broken glass on the floor. Steven felt a little sorry for him, so he knelt down to help him clean up the mess.

STEVEN
Need a hand?

ALEX
It's alright, I've got it.

STEVE
No, I'll clear this up. You go finish the washing up. Yeah?

Alex gave a slight smile to Steven, thanking him. Steven smiled back. Alex stood up and finished the washing up. 

As soon as Steven had finished picking up the bits of broken glass, he put them in the bin and went to help Alex by drying the plates and cutlery with the tea towel.

ALEX
Thanks.

STEVEN
No problem. It wasn't entirely your fault.

Alex chuckled.

ALEX
Yeah... ..I don't think mum sees it that way.

STEVEN
She's just stressed after the meeting we had, that's all.

ALEX
Yeah, but I'm not exactly in her good books at the moment, am I?

STEVEN
I heard.

ALEX
Honestly, last night. I just lost track of time, and...

STEVEN
I understand. And I'm sure your mum does as well.

Alex raised his eyebrows, subtly suggesting he didn't agree. Alex finished the last of the dishes and dried his hands. Then checked his phone messages.

STEVEN
Right, I'm gonna put the kettle on, do you want a brew?

Alex wasn't really paying attention, as he was too fixated on reading the text message he received before all the drama with Alice started. It was Charlie, asking if he wanted to accompany her going back to Ashdene Ridge to get her stuff. He couldn't help but grin at the message. He texted her back saying yes.

STEVEN
Alex?

ALEX
Sorry?

STEVEN
I'm making a drink. Do you want one?

ALEX
Thanks, but I'm heading out. Maybe later?

Alex quickly left the kitchen and headed upstairs to get a shower. Once he had a wash and dried himself, he got dressed, put some deodorant on, brushed his teeth and tidied his hair a little. But not too much, as he knew Charlie preferred it less tidy. As he came out of the bathroom, he bumped into Aileen. Causing Aileen to drop her handbag. Alex bent down and picked up the bag for her, and passed it to her.

AILEEN
Thank you.

Aileen smiled at her son, Alex smiled back.

AILEEN
Have you finished clearing up in the kitchen?

ALEX
Yeah yeah, it's all done. I'll replace the broken glass once my next payment comes in.

AILEEN
Don't worry about it. It's just a glass.

Aileen smiled at Alex and made her way downstairs, but Alex called her back before she headed downstairs.

ALEX
Mum?

AILEEN
Yeah?

ALEX
Sorry again, about yesterday. Not letting you know about my plans and that... 

AILEEN
It's ok.

ALEX
It completely slipped my mind. I just-

AILEEN
I know, Alex.

Aileen walked back towards Alex and held him by the shoulders in a nurturing manner.

AILEEN
And I understand that you were catching up with Charlie. I just got worried when I hadn't heard from you, that's all. I just wanted to make sure you were ok.

Alex and his mum smiled at each other for a moment.

AILEEN
Got any plans for today?

ALEX
Actually, Charlie's asked if I could go and help her move her stuff back into her Grandad's. If that's not a problem?

AILEEN
No, not at all. I'll be taking Alice to her riding lesson in about 5 minutes if you want a lift?

Alex would've rathered made his own way to Charlie's, but he still felt guilty about yesterday so he accepted the offer. 

Roughly 5 minutes later, Alex and Alice got in the car. They fought and argued over who would get to sit in the front. Like brothers and sisters do. But in the end, Alice was the one who got the front seat. Which made things slightly awkward in the car when Alex was trying to direct his mum the way to Charlie's house from the backseat. Giving Alice a good laugh. 

They finally arrived outside Charlie's house. A 10-minute car journey which took about 20-minutes.

ALEX
Thanks.

AILEEN
Let me know if you want picking up.

ALEX
Will do.

AILEEN
And don't forget you've got work later.

ALEX
I won't.

Alex was started to lose his patience a little.

ALICE
Say Hi to Charlie for me.

ALEX
Shove off, Alice.

Alice just laughed at her brother's remark. Alex got out of the car and slammed the car door shut, and rolled his eyes. Aileen wound the window down to ask Alex another question.

AILEEN
Are you sure you don't want me to give you and Charlie a lift?

ALEX
We'll be fine mum. 

AILEEN
Ok. Love you.

Alex just gave his mum a fake smile and waved as he walked up the path to Charlie's house. Aileen didn't drive off until Alex had gone into the house, making things all the more awkward for him. Charlie answered the door.

CHARLIE
Hey-

As soon as Charlie opened the door, Alex quickly entered the house and shut the door behind him. To avoid any further awkwardness or embarrassment with his mum and sister. Charlie was a bit confused at the way Alex came into the house. But she found it amusing.

CHARLIE
Woah! What's the rush?

ALEX
Sorry. I just wanted to get in quickly.

CHARLIE
Ok... ..why?

Alex shrugged.

ALEX
No reason.

Alex noticed Charlie wasn't dressed yet, still in her pyjamas.

ALEX
Not dressed yet?

CHARLIE
Sorry, I've only just got out of bed.

ALEX
Not like you to be so lazy.

CHARLIE
Er, haven't you heard of jet lag?!

ALEX
I'm only messing.

Charlie gave Alex a sarcastic smile.

CHARLIE
Right, I'll just go and get dressed.

As Charlie got dressed, Alex waited in the hallway. As he waited, he noticed some writing on the kitchen door frame. He walked down the hall and bent over a little to read what the writing was. It was markings of Charlie's height growing up. Which made him smile. It wasn't long before Charlie came out of her room dressed and ready. She saw Alex looking at the markings on the door frame and smiled. She came up behind Alex.

CHARLIE
Admiring my Grandad's graffiti?

Alex stood up straight.

ALEX
Well, I wouldn't call it graffiti, but... yeah.

Charlie chuckled.

CHARLIE
It's what Gran called it. She hated having marks on the door frames.

The two of them continued to look at the markings for a bit.

ALEX
So, what age did you stop looking like a squished up beetroot then?

CHARLIE
Do you want a smack?

ALEX
Now, why would you want to smack this face?

CHARLIE
I don't know, maybe to knock that smug smile off it?

Alex continued smiling at Charlie.

CHARLIE
Anyway, we'd best get going. Try and make this place feel like a home again.

The two of them left the house, and Charlie locked the door behind her.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

6.1K 209 27
ORIGINALLY POSTED IN 2013 What will happen when a rumor is started about Alex cheating? With Kaylei's cousin. Will it bring him and Sarah closer toge...
282K 2.9K 47
It's been almost twenty years since Liam has had contact with Harry, his ex-fiancé. He moved on and had a pretty good life. But one day, he decides...
53 5 4
Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue, not with Matt's life on the line. Howev...
2.5M 52.4K 43
I left him. I never thought in a million years I would be the one to walk, but I was. I left the man I was madly in love with, I had no idea where I...