The Abiding Force: A Knight o...

De Judge_Fredd

The Jedi are no more, the First Galactic Empire long fallen and the Sith long forgotten. Rising from the dark... Mais

1: A "Chance" Meeting
2: Gifts
3: Coup
4: Growing Pain
5: Matchmaker
6: Alone Together
7: Victory
8: First Flight
9: Knights Errant
10: Infiltration
11: Worthy Adversaries
13: Dialogue
14: Risk & Revelation
15
16
17
18
19
20
21

12: Homecoming & Departure

19 5 2
De Judge_Fredd

Korta thought he was a madman, at first anyway, but as Val had continued to explain, the old man had come around. Now Val was merely a fool, but a fool was sometimes useful. It was a bit foolish, Val had to admit that to himself. Chasing an unknown enemy agent into the darkness of the outer rim was a task for a fool.

He had the ship's hyperdrive signature, ID pin and name via the Triumphant's security sweep system. The Reward was not registered in the Triumphant's shipboard database and therefor could not be tracked to any known residence system. Korta had an answer to that particular problem, contacting the governors of systems along the projected hyper lane routes and implementing a trace for all ships matching the ID.

It had taken weeks, but the Reward had been sighted. The first report had come from Corsin, the second from Taris, from which it had departed toward Bandomeer. Val had left the day the report arrived. After a short farewell to Kavos and Chiko.

She was still recovering, the slow process of regrowing the destroyed tissue leaving her in continual discomfort. He wished she could accompany him, but was also glad that she hadn't. What would his family think? How could he explain the change in her, in both of them. It had been two years since Ben's death, but Val doubted if time could ever heal that wound.

He smiled with satisfaction as he dropped his fighter out of hyperspace. From orbit in the light of the fading day Taris truly lived up to its title. The bronze-gold metal ubiquitous across all construction on the planet glittered very much like a jewel. He dropped into orbit at flank speed, heading directly for home.

The palace came into view within seconds after breaking through the atmosphere. Val took in the sight, decelerating and preparing himself. He keyed the comm, contacting the command center in the palace. "Imperial Palace, this is Knight Kidann requesting permission to-" Val was cut off before he could finish. "Val?" Came a familiar voice. It was Koll, Val realized after a long moment. "Koll?" Val asked to confirm. "We weren't expecting them to send you! You're father is going to-" Now Koll was cut off as a girl's voice broke over the line.

"Val!" Zeya said, obviously shouting with excitement. Val had to suppress a laugh, now on final approach to the top landing pad. "Heya Zey." He responded in a placative tone he deserved for her alone. "Koll I really need to know if I'm cleared or not." Val added seriously. "Of course you are Val, it's your home." Val's smile faltered slightly as he thought of the last year. Would it be if they knew about Chiko?

Zeya had grown taller by nearly half a meter, putting her roughly a head under Val's height. Her personality had scarcely changed at all, to Val's delight. She nearly jumped on him as he dismounted the fighter, his feet barely touching the pad before she'd wrapped him in a hug. Val laughed as she squeezed him with more strength than she intended, glad he was wearing his armor.

Koll maintained a respectful distance, dressed in the uniform of th Kidann palace guard and having filled out significantly since Val's departure, now standing a full head taller and much broader than Val. "You're gonna crush me if you're not careful." Val said with a chuckle, "Has she been wrestling Gammoreans or something?" Val asked Koll. The towering young man chuckled, "She's a terror sir." Koll said, a smile on his face but his voice serious.

Zeya turned and scowled at Koll, rolling her eyes and giving him a mock-threatening gesture. She turned back to Val and gave her best you will tell me everything smile. Val crossed his arms, awaiting the barrage of questions that was sure to follow. "Sowhatwasitlikeintraining, didyoulearnanythingreallypowerful, didyoureallyvisittheImperialPalaceandmeettheemperor?" She managed in a span of time Val could scarcely believe. He smiled as the perfect response came to mind. "Yes." Val replied. The shade of red she turned was worth the kicking she gave him.

His father arrived an hour later, storming through the palace to the dining hall in search of his child. The door slid open and Tae Kidann did all but run to embrace his son. "My boy!" he exclaimed as he held Val close. Was he always so small? His father stepped back, a smile on his face. "Look at you in that armor, I'd bet every girl on Raeth..." Val didn't hear the rest, his mind flashing to Chiko.

"-ike your old man." Tae said with a self-deprecating air and a laugh. Val played along with that, chuckling politely. "What's the matter Val?" Tae asked, moving toward the table, eyes narrowed. Tae Kidann had lost none of his discerning perception, it seemed. Val followed him, taking a seat across from his father. "I'm on assignment father." Val began, dodging the question Tae had intended. "Pursuing the fugitive that Grandmaster Korta inquired after a few weeks back." Val drew a datapad with the details and slid it across the table. Tae caught it, giving the contents of the device a quick scan. "I had wondered why Yllidan was so interested in a single ship." Tae mused. He looked up at his son, a nervous smile on his face, "So you know he's the Grandmaster?" Tae said with a chuckle.

"I wish you'd have told me." Val said with a laugh of his own, Tae nodded, "It was his idea, mostly for Ben's benefit." The mention of Ben came easier to Val than it had before, he thought of Chiko briefly. "Can you imagine how full of himself he'd have been?" Val asked suppressing another bout of laughter. Tae didn't manage as well as Val fighting through his own as he spoke, "That's exactly why I went along with it son." The older man turned his attention back to the datapad for a moment before looking back at Val, concerned. "He didn't mention that part." Tae stated, having obviously read about Val's previous encounter with the fugitive.

Tae grabbed a comm pad from the table and keyed it on, "Hello Nuolle, would you mind terribly to prepare a meal short-notice? Val is he-" the comm erupted as Nuolle, the household chef, went berserk. The rapid chattering of the Rodian went completely over Val's understanding of the language, but he picked up enough to know that the chef was outraged that nobody had warned him. The chattering slowed as Tae consoled the temperamental chef. Eventually he placed the comm down and smiled, shaking his head. "I hope you didn't plan on slipping out, if you attempt it he may chase you down." Tae said with a grin.

The meal transformed into a small feast as the entire household descended on the dining hall. Everyone was eager to welcome Val home, even many that he'd not expected. There were more than a few admirers that Val politely entertained with no shortage of discomfort. Koll had helped him through that, keeping Val moving around the room from one official to the next. It was strange to be the center of attention among his father's subjects.

These were the men and women that Val had always been taught to show deference and respect as the second son of Kidann. Now he was the only son of Kidann and the immediate shift in responsibility became very apparent in his interactions with the courtiers. They asked his opinion, whether genuinely interested in his perspective or merely in ingratiating themselves toward him, Val found it incredibly strange to be asked. He evaded these inquiries as much as possible, unwilling and unprepared to speak on matters that he had no insight on. He had just managed to escape one such conversation when a hand clamped down on his shoulder roughly. He spun instinctively, preparing himself for a sudden attack.

"Val my boy, I barely recognized you." Jae Siddall said a bright smile painted across his pale, angular face. Val's face twisted into a smile of his own as his uncle embraced him. "Uncle!" Val said happily, both of them laughing. He had not seen Jae since they had laid Ben to rest nearly two years before. Jae looked around the room before turning back to Val. "How have you been Val?" He asked, his eyes showing concern. "I heard about the battle on Zyllovan." Jae said with a grimace, "I can't imagine that was an easy induction for you."

Val nodded, "You're right, it wasn't." he replied, his mind straying back to the trench. After leaving Zyllovan Val had learned that the Imperial Expeditionary force had taken 20% casualties over the course of the siege. "It was nearly a disaster, Uncle." Val said, remembering how close he had come to death, and losing Chiko. Jae's smile was gone, "It's good that it is difficult for us." He said reassuringly, "One should always do what is required of them, but a man should also weigh those requirements with their morality." Jae said, the old mercenary obviously reflecting on his own career. "Regret is inevitable Val, when in doubt, trust your feelings." Jae said smiling grimly.

Val thought of all that had occurred since the last time he'd seen his uncle, of the fundamental changes to his life and how he far he had come since. Something told him that of all those in his family, his uncle would understand the circumstance he found himself in. He turned to Koll, "Koll if it's no offense to you I would like to speak to my uncle privately." Val said. Koll nodded, his eyes showing some withheld question, before turning and walking off toward a girl that had been exchanging looks with him throughout the night. Val couldn't help but smile at that as he gestured for his uncle to follow.

They retreated to one of the smaller rooms adjoining the larger dining hall. Val ensured that the door was locked and that nobody was eavesdropping before addressing his uncle calmly. "What's the deal Val?" Jae was the mercenary again, dropping the respectable guise he assumed when among the Tarisian nobility. He slouched and picked at himself and scratched at the soft spots where his armor chafed. Val hesitated for a moment, frustrated and uncertain of how to explain himself. "Chiko Suvan was also selected by Korta." Val began, intending to soften the eventual blow to come.

Jae narrowed his eyes, considering that for a long moment before responding. "That tracks with what I've heard of the Grandmaster." Jae assessed easily, leaving Val slightly annoyed that he was seemingly the last person to have learned of Korta's title. "She is evidently skilled and powerful, but we knew that."

"She's amazing, uncle; the fastest learner and most talented fighter that I've seen." Val said, a smile on his face. Jae's eyes narrowed again, first in confusion and then in recognition. "Oh you bloody idiot." Jae wasn't angry, but he was clearly disturbed. There was a long moment as Jae considered what to say next, leaving Val equally speechless. Siddall turned to his nephew, a sad smile on his face. "I can't say I agree with it Val but I know you understand what the consequence will be when it is discovered." Jae said calmly. Val nodded, "I'll face that when it presents itself." The Knight replied.

They shared another long moment of silence as Jae contemplates the quandary. Eventually he lightened, turning to Val. "So, what is she like?" Jae asked. Val smiled as he told his uncle about what they had endured together and how it had changed them, drawn them together. Val omitted the visions she'd not want anyone else to know of, but something told him that perhaps his uncle would have insight into one question.

"She was trained by a group of aliens that I have never seen before. Blue-skinned humanoids with red eyes." Val explained. "I encountered one during the battle on Zyllovan." He said, remembering how Chiko had executed him just before nearly being struck down herself. Val looked up to his uncle, the man's expression had changed.

"Pupil-less red eyes and dark blue pigment?" Jae asked, his voice low and full of dread. Val nodded affirmatively, taken aback by his uncle's reaction. "You're certain about the eyes? It wasn't a Pantaran?" Jae clarified, leaning against a pillar. "Eyes as red as the blade of the saber you gave me." Val affirmed. He watched as his uncle mulled the information over, considering something Val couldn't comprehend.

"They are called Chiss." Jae said, the words falling from his mouth like poison. "I've had a few brushes with their species working out beyond." Jae added, referring to the wild worlds beyond the bounds of the Empire. Val was surprised that his uncle had ventured that far. "They are a strange and insular lot as an understatement." Jae continued his expression becoming reflective, as if remembering something intimately. "Cunning and fierce warriors as a rule." He said, looking at Val.

Val took a leap, his heart telling him it was the right thing to do. He handed his datapad over to Jae. "I'm pursuing an associate of theirs uncle. An extremely powerful Rogue Knight, we think." Val said as Jae looked through the information now in his hand. Jae raised an eyebrow at that, "You think?" Val stepped back shrugging as he did so, "No records on them, no identification or any other indicators of origin." Val straightened, thinking about it for the thousandth time. "They weren't Knights uncle, they were well trained and carried lightsabers, but their energy was different." Val reflected on their actions, the master's sacrifice standing out in his mind. He wasn't sure what, but something kept screaming in his mind about that particular act.

"Bandomeer eh?" Jae mused, "Never been myself, but it's not too far out." He added, then smiled. "Tell you what, I was planning on headed out for a while anyways, how about you tag along?" Siddall proposed. Val enjoyed the thought, traveling long distances in the starfighter was not a comfortable experience. "Thank you, uncle." Val said with a smile. Jae leaned in, putting an arm around his nephew's shoulder and pointing him toward the doorway. "It'll be a good opportunity for me to explain some things." Jae said tentatively. Val gave his uncle a confused look. "What do you mean?" Jae smirked, "Well, to put it simply, if you go out into the beyond as you are, you won't come back." The mercenary said with a light matter-of-factness that worried Val immensely.

Morning came far too soon for Val's liking. He'd not realized how much he'd missed Taris before dropping into orbit. Now, as he prepared to leave he wished he had longer to stay. That feeling passed slowly, but was eased by the memory of how close he had come to losing Chiko.

The goodbyes were difficult, but not so hard as they had once been. Val even managed to smile, knowing that when he returned from Bandomeer there would be time for them. It was strange how his time away had changed how he viewed his family. They had once been his entire world, now he had other, stronger obligations. More strangely, he realized that he wanted to leave. There was guilt, of course, for his bond to Chiko, but also a yearning that compelled him to move along.

Zeya managed to smile as he boarded his starfighter having coerced him into agreeing to teach her some of what he had learned when he returned. Koll handed him a small case as his father spoke to Siddall. Val opened it, finding a Kuatech H-model blaster pistol inside. He smirked as Koll smiled widely. "It's less conspicuous than a lightsaber." He explained shortly. Val smiled at that, "I'll be needing it then." He looked at Zeya, then back to Koll, "Watch out for her, she's going to be more than anyone on the planet can handle before long." he said with a smile.

Koll nodded, "Of course." Koll responded somewhat nervously, "I'll protect her with my life." he added seriously. Val tried not to laugh, "Not exactly what I meant Koll, but I appreciate the sentiment." Val saw his father and uncle approaching, "Good luck." Val said, giving Koll a quick and amicable hug before moving to his father. The two embraced, then Tae stepped back looking Val in the eyes, "Come back, when your task is done." Tae said hopefully. Val smiled, but his heart ached as he remembered Chiko and his new obligations. "I'll be back." he promised, knowing that when he did return, he would have to tell them all the truth. Jae shared a glance with Val, picking up on his desperation.

"I'll watch out for him brother." Jae said, slapping Val on the shoulder. "What am I saying. Look at him! I think he'll actually be the one looking after me now that I think of it." Jae said with a genuine smile. Val nodded to him thankfully, "We'll be fine." he said. Jae released his grip, "Let's get moving then, don't want to miss our rendezvous, Shoj gets antsy hanging in orbit." Jae moved off to his own craft, an archaic variant of Val's own fighter, heavily modified with aftermarket upgrades and painted in the black and white of the Ebon Spring Company. Tae gave his son a final reassuring glance before turning to join Zeya, Koll and the other household members just off the pad.

He gave them a quick wave, taking the sight before climbing into the cockpit. Jae lifted over his head, taking the lead position. Val powered on and lifted in seconds, moving to follow. Within moments they were far above the city, the palace slowly becoming less and less distinct. As they broke the atmosphere, Jae turned toward the hyperlane heading out of Imperial space. Val didn't see the Prodigal until they were nearly on top of it. Val's eyes widened as he realized why. His uncle's ship was an Imperial Infiltration corvette, a cloaking warship. "Where in the galaxy did you manage to steal that from?" Val asked over the comm, incredulous.

"I didn't steal it... I'm just borrowing it involuntarily until a certain Moff can meet the terms of his contract." Jae said light-heartedly. Val smiled widely at that, if the Moff owed him money and Jae could prove that he was within his right to claim the ship until the terms were met. "It's just too bad she didn't check the interest rate on the agreement." Jae said with a hearty laugh. Val joined him, the full picture now apparent to him. "Follow me in, I'll introduce you as we jump." Jae said, heading for the single hangar bay on the side of their approach.

They entered the empty bay hot and clamped to the deck quickly. Almost simultaneously the ship began to shift around them as they began the leap to hyperspace. As Val dismounted he wondered what he would find on Bandomeer and who the mysterious Rogue Knights had been. By the time he touched the deck of the Prodigal he was surrounded by the smiling, scruffy faces of his uncle's crew. Jae smiled wickedly and beckoned for Val to follow him. "All right kid, I think it's time we knock off some of that polish." Val hesitated for only a moment before following his uncle, uncertain exactly what that entailed.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

3.8K 50 37
After escaping near destruction on Atollon, the Rebellion is in dire strait, but hope is not yet lost. Following her promotion to Grand Marshall of t...
6.9K 576 36
I don't have a huge amount of time to write *REYLO SMUT/ SEX SCENES-MATURE CONTENT* [THIS BOOK WILL BE FINISHED NO LATER THAN 7/31/21] This will be...
560 25 16
As Mordecai Arkous continues to build a life for himself in Atmos, a mysterious figure arrives in Atmos and begins waging war for a unknown purpose...
296 6 6
Set thousands of years after Return of the Jedi... the Galactic Union and the Jedi order had seen a long period of peace with only minor strife to ma...