Regency Romance: Lady Lorena'...

Par charlottestonebooks

Lady Lorena Cullip is the definition in Mr. Samuel Johnson's English Dictionary for the word: curious. One m... Plus

Prologue
Chapter 01
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05

Chapter 02

1.9K 132 7
Par charlottestonebooks

The Third Day of the Valdeston Country Party

"I think he rides just to avoid her," Calvin said as he came to stand by Lorena's chair.

She turned her face away from the sunrise and over to look at Calvin's profile. Then she turned back toward the field and watched as Francis raced his horse, Prince, toward another jump. Rider and beast flew in unison over every obstacle and Lorena had always thought it a magical thing to watch. Riding Prince was the first thing Francis did every morning. Though Lorena knew how much he enjoyed those moments, she did think he enjoyed them that much more because Genie avoided them.

At the moment, Lorena was certain Genie had her face pressed to the glass upstairs as she watched Francis ride, but she would never get too close to him when he was on Prince's back. Genie was afraid of horses. She could barely get into a carriage without being reduced to hysterics. Often, Lorena had to hold her hand through moments of their journeys.

"You may be right," Lorena decided, just before she picked up her tea and began to drink. Then she asked Calvin, "How's your morning? Is there anything you need?"

"Ever the perfect hostess," he murmured before dropping into a chair, his eyes steady on her.

Her stomach warmed at just the glance, and she looked away and concentrated on a tree in the distance. "Would you like some tea?" she asked him.

"I don't like tea," he told her, still watching her.

She knew he didn't like tea. Still, she was out of things to say. She could ask him the question again in either Latin or French but thought that a bad idea.

"Maybe, I haven't been doing it right," he told her.

"What?" she asked as she dared to turn back in his direction.

His eyes were clear of his usual playfulness, but only for a second. Then he grinned, but not even that was usual. This one held a rare warmth, as if he actually cared. "I think I've been doing it wrong."

Lorena had to force the words out of her straining lungs. "What are you doing wrong?"

He did a seductively slow blink and his grin went playful again. "Tea. I think I should give it another go. How do you take yours?"

Lorena blinked rapidly. "One sugar, no cream."

He moaned, a sound that seemed to vibrate the very air, and said, "Maybe I should try it."

She nodded and thought he'd move to one of the empty cups on the table. Instead, he started to reach for her cup. Lorena gasped and pulled it away. "No."

He chuckled and said, "Come on, Ren. Just a sip."

Lorena jumped, flung her cup back, and heard a curse. Then she turned around and gasped. She'd flung her tea right at Ashwick's middle and she knew, even through his shirt, it had to burn. His expression was dark.

Lorena bit her lip. "Oh, dear. Let me help you." She turned to get a napkin while Calvin broke into a fit of laughter.

"You two are such a disaster," Calvin chuckled loudly as he almost fell out of his chair laughing. "Every time."

Lorena glared at him, then glanced around the field at the other men. They were all staring at her, trying in vain to hide their smiles. Lorena was ready to just about die. She moved to Ashwick.

"Stay away from me!"

She leaned back and stared into his cold eyes. Then shook her head.

No, not again.

She simply couldn't do anything right with him around.

Ashwick rushed into the house and Lorena followed.

"Ashwick, I'm sorry."

"Go away," he told her over his shoulder.

She hurried her steps, almost having to run compared to his long strides until she rounded him and cut him off. "Here," she whispered. "Let me help."

Ashwick avoided her hands and backed into the yellow drawing room. "I don't need your help." He was holding his clothes away from him.

"Please," Lorena said. "I won't hurt you."

His eyes widened, and he continued to back away from her. "I don't think that possible."

Lorena cringed. His words were very accurate. "Please, let me help."

He was in a corner when she finally made it to him. He held himself as far against the wall as he could, staring at her as though it were a knife in her hands and not a handkerchief.

She pressed the cloth into where his shirt met his breeches and said, "See, no harm done." Then she looked up at him and grinned.

Ashwick held perfectly still for a long moment and relaxed, settling onto his feet. The action brought him closer to Lorena, but she didn't move.

Her eyes went back to his shirt and she pressed repeatedly, trying to soak up as much of the liquid as possible.

They were silent while she worked tea from his shirt, hoping it wasn't ruined. Then she shook her head and spoke what was on her mind. "We almost made a record, you and I." There had been no disaster of their combined making for three days. That was more than ever before.

Knowing exactly what she was speaking about, he whispered, "I know."

Her eyes went up to him and she offered him a smile. With his body next to the window and the sun chasing away the shadows of the previous night, Lorena noticed that Ashwick had faint sunspots at the tops of his cheeks and she wondered if she'd ever seen him up close in daylight. Perhaps not.

She leaned in closer to get a better look and was amazed at how they softened his rather stern appearance. They almost made him boyish

Ashwick made a choked noise. "Oh, God," he groaned, almost in pain.

Lorena frowned and whispered. "What is it?"

He closed his eyes. "Your hands, Lorena. They are on me."

Lorena shook her head, not understanding. He hadn't minded her touch just a moment ago. She looked down to discover that her hands had moved when she'd risen on her toes to look at his cheeks. They'd slid further down, and she was using his body to keep herself propped up.

Something hard rested below his stomach, thrusting toward her through his britches.

He sucked in a breath and his eyes rolled to the back of his head. "Lorena."

The hairs on Lorena's arms stood at attention, her body reacting to the way he'd called her name. She liked it.

That seemed wrong.

"Am I hurting you?"

With his eyes shut tight, he shook his head. They opened. "God, no." His voice seemed to go heavier by the minute.

She liked that, too. She definitely liked that she wasn't hurting him. She moved her hand further down.

"Don't," he hissed.

Startled, she moved them back up.

"Fuck." The word vibrated from his lips and his body tightened, his hands pressed flat onto the wall. His eyes narrowed on her.

Lorena felt her jaw drop and her body still. "Did you just say that word?"

His hands slipped on her wrist and with a jolt, he pushed her back.

"What's wrong?" she asked him.

He was silent for a moment, then closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "You were supposed to be cleaning up a mess. Not making one."

She frowned and took a step back. "I didn't do anything wrong." Why couldn't she ever get anything right with him?

He had the nerve to chuckle. He took a step toward her and placed his hands on her shoulders. "You've no idea what you were just doing, do you?"

Lorena had some idea. "I was cleaning your shirt."

"No." He shook his head. His grin turned into one of his knee-weakening smiles.

Lorena sighed. "Well, then, I've no idea what I was doing."

"Maybe one day, I'll teach you."

She lifted a brow and was reminded of their conversation in the parlor the other evening. "You never told me something about yourself."

Ashwick took a step toward her, lowered his face next to hers, and rubbed his nose against hers. His mouth rested just above hers and he whispered, "Guess."

Lorena's eyes held his and continued to hold his eyes as he backed away and left the room.

* * *

The Fourth Day of the Valdeston Country Party

"Oh, wait," Genie shouted as the maid, Charlotte, passed her, a tray laden with food in her hands. Genie put a single perennial in a small glass vase on the tray. The purple flower added a feminine and bright touch to the breakfast arrangement. Genie asked Charlotte, "Did he say anything about the flower yesterday?"

"No, miss," Charlotte told her. "He knows very well it is always from you. He only stares at it for a bit before he begins to eat. Indeed, he's received them so often that his friends don't bother making jokes about it anymore."

This seemed reasonable. Genie had been placing a perennial by Francis' breakfast since the tender age of eleven, when she'd decided she would marry him. After that first year, Constance had made the gardener plant a private perennial bush at the London townhouse and the country estate just for this very purpose. Genie was faithful in making sure Francis had one every day when she was in his vicinity.

Lorena distinctly recalled the only time she and Genie had visited Oxford. The Duke of Valdeston was going to deliver a new Spanish-bred horse to Francis on his birthday, and Lorena and Genie had been allowed to accompany him. Lorena's father neither discouraged nor encouraged Genie's affections for his son, but he never said anything either way.

When they'd arrived at the inn, it had been very late, but Genie had gone mad for not being able to find a perennial bush in the vicinity. As the night wore on, she'd settled for a tulip, but had been in hysterics about it nonetheless. Then she'd bribed a maid to make sure Francis had it with his breakfast the next day.

Francis had arrived at the inn the next morning, looking winded and livelier than the early morning sun. He'd not received a note announcing his father's visit or word of their arrival. Only Genie's flower.

It had been enough.

Lorena had thought it adorable, but Francis had only recognized Genie and Lorena with a "Good morning, Lorena, Evie," before turning his excitement to his horse. Lorena had been disappointed, but Genie had been glad that he'd called her Evie. She didn't mind coming second to Francis' horses so long as she was second. And in Genie's mind, she was second.

Lorena and Genie watched Charlotte stroll away. The sun had not risen, but the men were awake because they planned to go fishing. Therefore, at Genie's urging, she and Lorena were up as well. Lorena did not like early mornings, but thankfully the men only fished once while visiting Valdeston Manor. The fish selection was better at one of the other men's estates, and another's property was known as the place to hunt. Valdeston, with its hills, peaks, and endless grass fields, was best for riding.

Genie turned to her with a wide grin. "Did you hear what Charlotte said?"

Lorena blinked. "Yes. She told you he says nothing."

"But she also said that Francis pauses when he looks at the flower!" Genie squeezed Lorena's arms tightly. "He looks at it and he thinks of me!" Her hold then turned painful, and she started to jump up and down. "Oh, I do love your brother." Her eyes softened and she said, "And I love you."

Lorena laughed and gave her friend a tight hug. "I love you, too."

"I know you hate getting up," Genie said.

"It's all right. You'd do the same for me," Lorena replied, knowing it was true. She pulled away and yawned. She was very tired.

Genie yawned as well and it seemed all their excitement drained away.

"I'm going back to bed," Genie announced with a sleepy grin. "And you?"

Lorena shook her head. "I'm going down to speak with Cook about the menu for dinner. I knew she'll be up packing the men their meals for lunch. It's best to do this now so that she might rest a while before dinner."

Genie asked with another yawn, "Do you want company?"

Lorena shook her head and pushed her friend back toward her bedchamber. "Go to sleep." Then she started down the hall, away from the family apartments, and down the stairs. She went down another hall and right into the kitchen.

Cook looked up at her and smiled. The baskets for lunch were already packed away and the footmen were carrying them out the door. "You're up early," Cook announced.

Lorena nodded, coming to stand at the counter in the middle of the space. "Let's work quickly so that we may both rest."

The evening meal seemed to create itself, as Cook told her what items they already held in the house, and Lorena suggested what dishes would go well together. The meal planning was done in no time and Cook asked, "Would you like some tea? I know a recipe that will get you back to sleep in no time."

"Oh, no," Lorena said. "I couldn't trouble you—"

"No trouble," Cook said. "I was going to make some for myself." Then she got right to work.

Lorena smiled and took a chair as she waited. She knew how to make tea herself. Actually, she knew how to make many things on her own. Whenever her father had sunk money into something foolish, they'd been forced to live without the staff members that required the most income. This meant there had been months without a cook and only a handful of servants about. Though Mother had often offered to use her money to replace the staff, Lorena's father had refused to take it.

Pride.

The tea was done and Lorena said, "Off to bed with you," to Cook.

Cook took her tea and, with another smile, left.

Lorena went to the counter, took a sip and thought it heavenly. Closing her eyes, she moaned. She took another and felt the cup slip from her fingers. Her eyes opened and she watched as a large hand placed the cup almost on the other side of the counter. She turned and her eyes locked with Ashwick's.

He was standing very close and announced, "I thought it best I move it out of the way before you attacked me with it." His gray eyes held her spellbound.

She narrowed her eyes, but couldn't stop the smile that played at her lips. She was much too happy to see him to let herself feel angered at his words. "There are other ways to hurt one's self in a kitchen. Knives, fires, sharp corners. A mere cup should be the last of your worries."

He smiled and moved away, and Lorena took a shaky breath. Then she closed her eyes, focused on breathing, and turned around to watch Ashwick move around her kitchen as though he owned it, opening every cabinet in search of something. She watched the muscles in his back move underneath his shirt and noticed he was not wearing a jacket.

Liking what she saw, she leaned forward on the counter, placed her elbows on the surface, and watched him.

"There it is," he announced and pulled out a pie that had been hidden under a cloth on the far counter.

Lorena straightened. "You can't take that pie."

Ashwick lifted a brow. "The men and I took a vote. We can't leave to fish without more pie."

Men.

Lorena walked over to him and said, "That pie is for dinner."

"Well, you've all day to change the menu," he told her and moved to pass her.

She frowned and stepped in his way. "You can't take that pie." She crossed her arms. "I won't let you."

A corner of Ashwick's mouth lifted and he announced, "I don't see how you can stop me."

Lorena didn't see either and tried to think her way through it.

He took advantage of her hesitation and started around the other side of the counter. Lorena snapped out of her thoughts and moved to block his path once more.

"No," she announced, hands in fists at her sides. "That pie stays here."

They stared at one another.

Then something flickered in Ashwick's eyes before he placed the pie on the counter and turned to her. "We can make a bargain."

Lorena shifted on her feet. "The only bargain I leave you with is to enjoy the pie for dinner or not at all."

Ashwick threw his head back and laughed and Lorena's body tingled.

When he was done, he was grinning at her. "I don't accept your terms, so we'll have to settle with mine. Either you let me have this pie now or you give me something sweeter, and I tell the men that there was no pie to be found here."

Something sweeter?

Lorena narrowed her eyes. "I would offer you lemonade but I'm sure that Cook already packed some for you."

Ashwick chuckled and strolled toward her. His eyes grew hooded and dark. "Lemonade is not what I had in mind." He was close enough then that Lorena had to tilt her head back to meet his eyes.

"What do you want?" she asked. Then added, "Besides pie."

Ashwick's grin widened. "A kiss."

Lorena's placed her hand on the counter just as she was about to fall. Her hand was the only thing that kept her upright. She couldn't imagine what would have happened had she fallen. Disaster seemed likely, since he was here. "You can't want to kiss me."

"Why not?" he asked her.

"Something bad will happen," she told him. Warned him, even as her heart dropped into her stomach. "You and I are... fatal." The truth stung, even as it came from her own lips.

His fingers brushed her cheek before sliding to rest behind her neck. "We're not fatal," he whispered. "The universe simply doesn't know what to do with us."

Lorena smiled, liking his version of events.

He lowered his mouth to her ear and said, "Trade. The pie for a kiss."

Lorena's other hand, the one that was not on the counter, moved to his shoulder. She wanted his kiss very much, so she whispered, "All right."

She felt him groan against her ear and he said, "And I get to pick where I kiss you."

Lorena frowned. "What do you mean?"

His other hand, the one not at her cheek, moved to her side and slid down her hip. Then he yanked her body closer. "I choose where I kiss you, and I swear it will be sweet for both of us."

Lorena's eyes widened just as her cheeks warmed. She knew he was speaking of her body but had no idea where he could kiss her that would be 'sweet' for them both. She was sure kisses on lips could be sweet, if her parents' smiles after long walks in the garden were any indication. But where else would he kiss her? Her cheek? Her hand? She supposed those places were equally sweet. She thought she'd like that, though it disappointed her that he wouldn't be kissing her on the lips. At least she'd be saving the pie.

Lorena lifted a dainty shoulder. "All right."

There was noise from a room far away, and Calvin's voice could be heard calling for Ashwick.

Ashwick pulled away.

Their eyes met.

His turned to look at the pie then glanced back at her before he grinned and left the kitchen.

The pie remained on the counter.

He'd left it, and he'd left her quite confused.

* * *

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

155K 31.8K 48
Becca Belfort i Haze Connors, choć przez swoich znajomych zmuszani do spędzania razem czasu całą paczką, od dawna się nie znoszą. Dogryzają sobie prz...
1M 13.6K 52
NOT EDITED YET Gracie Owen's a headstrong journalist major rooms with her childhood best friend JJ Anderson for junior year, little does she know she...
1.5M 90.1K 38
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
394K 32.9K 16
Indian Chronicles Book III My Husband, My Tyrant. When Peace Becomes Suffocation. Jahnvi Khanna has everything in her life, a supporting family, a hi...