the truth about survival • an...

By unbrokenreflection

Helping people was Kamille Ali's goal in life, embedded within her from birth and all the way through to the... More

author's note
i. a pretty stranger
ii. trusting the pretty stranger
iii. a city full of infected
iv. like fairy dust
v. the truth about survival
vi. almost there
vii. bye to goodbye
viii. the new girl
ix. the abigail
x. left behind, almost
xi. jack in a box
xii. it's shitty luck
xiii. a loss is a loss
xiv. baggage claim
xv. all tied up
xvi. kidnapping the princess
xvii. mum knows best
xviii. no more running
xix. so much for a fresh start
xx. one step behind hope
xxi. unwelcome check-in
xxii. living
xxiii. conquering the mundane
xxiv. love story
xxv. bringing the family back together
xxvi. american border
xxvii. broke jaw ranch
xxviii. yet another goodbye
xxviv. staying for them
xxx. focus on living
xxxi. unsafe
xxxii. old friend
xxxiii. what you deserve
xxxiv. the wrong side
xxxv. a really racist high school
xxxvii. surprise
xxxviii. no place is safe
xxxviv. just a memory
xl. remarkable
xli. close
part ii is out now!

xxxvi. a clear divide

1.9K 143 13
By unbrokenreflection

Kamille leaned against one of the poles holding up the tent as Walker and Madison looked between her, Alicia, Jake, Ofelia and Crazy Dog. The two of them called for an important meeting regarding the future of the camp, particularly the water supply.

"We want to secure a backup supply of water in case it's a hot summer," Madison was explaining, the two of them packed up for an expedition of sorts. "We'll only be gone a couple of days."

"In the interim, we impose ranch-wide rationing," Walker said.

"We shut off all pumps, irrigation, RV lines and taps," followed Madison.

"Even the one up at the adobe," Walker added.

"So, everyone gets their water from the main well," Alicia clarified, earning their attention.

"That's right," Madison agreed. "Two gallons, per person, per day."

Both Walker and Madison looked between them all, as if waiting for someone to argue against them. No one did, so Walker stood up and approached Ofelia and Crazy Dog.

"We're releasing guns to you and two deputies," he informed them. "Maintain the peace."

Ofelia and Crazy Dog nodded as Jake walked out of the tent suddenly. Kamille watched him leave, him obviously not happy with the arrangements but having no choice but to follow along. She noticed how Madison had slowly been taking his role as leader and figured he wasn't too impressed with that.

"The ranchers won't like that," Kamille said, earning Walker's attention. "The guns, I mean."

Walker glanced at Madison, as if they were partners, and Madison stood up to look at Kamille.

"They'll have to like it otherwise this all goes wrong," she said. "That's why you guys are gonna keep an eye on things whilst we're gone."

Kamille glanced at Walker, who seemed satisfied with Madison's response and turned to leave. Crazy Dog followed after him and Ofelia hesitated, looking between Alicia and Kamille, before following after them both.

Madison glanced out to where Jake had just left from before saying, "He seems better."

Kamille said nothing as she crossed her arms and looked to the floor. Alicia stood up from her seat and stopped before Madison, sighing quietly.

"I'll watch Nick whilst you're gone," she said.

"Thank you," Madison said gratefully. "I know I ask a lot of you, but–"

"There's more," Alicia cut her off respectfully. "Tell me."

Kamille looked up and saw Madison's face – whatever Alicia was suspecting was right. Madison glanced around before looking between both girls.

"There's only about six weeks' worth of water left," she said quietly.

Kamille widened her eyes with surprise, stepping forward. "You're kidding."

Madison shook her head slowly.

"The austerity will help, right?" Alicia asked calmly.

"That's with the austerity," Madison said regretfully. "Alicia, no one can know. If they do, this all goes to hell. And if it does, you both take Nick and you leave."

Kamille watched as Madison unzipped her duffel bag, pulling out a radio and holding it towards Alicia.

"If things go sideways," she said, looking between them both, "you need to be ready."

Alicia accepted the radio as Madison frowned at her.

"Come here," she said, pulling her in for a hug. "You've always been the strong one."

Kamille swallowed hard as Madison pulled away, grabbing her duffel bag and leaving them both there. When she was gone, Kamille stepped beside Alicia and rested a hand on the small of her back.

"You're not alone," she promised, knowing that Madison had suddenly put a lot of pressure on her, once again. "You've got me."

Alicia nodded, eyes flickering to hers, before she looked down to her shoes. Kamille wouldn't leave her to deal with all of this herself, she knew that. Whether Alicia believed it or not, she would be there for her.

It wasn't long after that when Walker allowed Nick to be released from the hot box he'd been in the past two days. Aside from food and water being delivered to him by Madison, he had no sunlight save for the slit in the top of the metal box, and no conversation.

Crazy Dog had let him out, and Alicia and Kamille took him to Otto's place to catch his breath. After explaining about Madison's absence, not necessarily mentioning the shortage of water, both girls left him to rest.

The next morning was when the rationing of water took place. Ranchers and Walker's people were all treated the same, as per Madison and Walker's request – two gallons per person, per day.

Kamille thought things were going well until that same evening, Nick informed them that people were beginning to complain about Walker's people double-dipping for more water throughout the day.

"You mean the ranchers are the ones complaining," Kamille pointed out, a little peeved, though not at Nick.

Nick sensed her growing hostility. "I'm only reiterating what I was told, Kamille. I never said I believed it."

Kamille rolled her eyes. "The people complaining are probably the same people who didn't want me here to begin with."

"Kamille–"

"Nick, it's okay, thanks," Alicia cut him off, glancing at Kamille worriedly. "I'll talk to Ofelia about it."

Nick nodded, looking to Kamille apologetically before leaving their cabin. Kamille released a breath before meeting Alicia's concerned gaze.

"You wanna go now then?"

Alicia shook her head. "I'll go, don't worry."

"No, it's okay, I said I would help," Kamille reminded her. "Let's go."

"You said you want to check on Joanie," Alicia said, giving her a reassuring smile. "Go. This won't take long."

"Alicia."

"Kamille."

Kamille gave her a knowing look. "Seriously?"

"Tell Joanie I said hi," Alicia said decidedly, giving her a half smile and pressing a kiss to her cheek. "I'll see you later."

Kamille gave in, nodding. "See you later, darling. I love you."

"I love you more," Alicia sang on her way out the door.

Kamille smiled to herself.

After checking in on Joanie and staying with her for an hour or so, Kamille headed back to the cabin, only to notice the absence of both Clark siblings. Knowing Nick had stayed in Otto's place the night before, she decided to check over there for them.

She was right to check there seeing as she spotted the lantern lit through the front window. As she approached, she glanced at the bullet holes in the wall.

This is where the shootout between Troy, Nick and the others happened...

She tried not to think about it as she went inside, spotting Nick sat on the couch and taking a drag of his cigarette. Alicia was sat on the coffee table, fiddling with her radio.

"Hey," Kamille approached them, making her presence know. She glanced between them, noticing a tension. "You guys good?"

Nick gave her a thumbs up and sarcastic smile, leaving Kamille to look to Alicia for an actual reply. She merely hummed in response.

"Okay..." Kamille tried to ignore the awkwardness in the air as she took a seat beside Alicia. "How did it go with Ofelia?"

Alicia shrugged, barely. "As good as it could. They got offended, we're back to square one."

Kamille pursed her lips, studying the younger girl. She was keeping to herself, as was Nick, the two sharing the same space but avoiding each other simultaneously. Clearly an argument of sorts had taken place in Kamille's absence.

"You okay?" Kamille muttered quietly, so Nick wouldn't hear.

Alicia nodded, finally lifting her eyes to reassure her with a small smile. "Yeah. Just thinking, sorry."

Kamille knew she wasn't being truthful, but she'd been in the middle of their sibling rivalry before and decided against it this time. If Alicia wanted to share, she would. 

"I think I'm gonna head to sleep," Kamille said. "I don't really wanna stay here tonight–"

"I'll meet you in our cabin," Alicia reassured her. "I'm gonna try radioing mom."

Kamille nodded, squeezing Alicia's leg before standing up. As she walked out, she glanced at Nick, who was soaking in self-indulgence for some reason.

"Goodnight, Nick," Kamille said.

"G'night," he returned with a salute.

Kamille looked between both of them once more, before shaking her head and leaving them be. She'd never figure them out.

"You're up next."

Joanie smiled appreciatively at Kamille. "Thank you. When do you get your share though?"

Kamille chuckled. "Don't worry about me, Joanie. We just wanna make sure everybody gets theirs first. Believe it or not, not everybody is happy about this arrangement."

"I wouldn't have guessed," Joanie responded sarcastically, a hint of amusement in her eyes.

Kamille, Alicia and Nick were overseeing the water refills by the well, making sure nobody came back twice and everybody kept to themselves. Some of Walker's people were doing the same and for the time being, it was somewhat peaceful between both groups.

"She took my water!"

"Stop, let go."

Kamille turned around when she saw a rancher trying to yank a carton of water from Alicia's hands. Alicia was pouring it back down the well and the woman was getting angrier by the second.

"It's stealing," Alicia told her calmly, but the woman was pulling the carton harshly. "You're taking twice your share."

"She's a damn cooperator!" the woman yelled to the people who had all silenced their conversations as they took in the scene.

Before Kamille could step forward to break it up, Nick appeared and pushed them apart, taking the carton from the woman's hands.

"You care more about them than you do about us," the woman snapped to Alicia.

"There is no them and us!" Alicia retorted.

"Then you're an idiot!" the woman fired back.

"You're a thief!" one of Walker's people shouted accusingly.

"You're a thief!" the woman shouted back, before shoving him back harshly.

It took merely seconds before both groups of people were pushing and shoving, yelling harsh things at each other.

"Stop it!" Kamille tried to pull people apart, but they were getting too hands-y as they pushed her away and continued fighting. "Break it up!"

"ENOUGH!" Alicia screamed loudly enough to grab everyone's attention. All eyes were on her as she added, "Listen to me!"

Alicia glanced at Kamille apologetically, confusing the Brit, before looking to everyone.

"We only have six weeks of water left," she announced.

"Alicia," Kamille muttered under her breath, shaking her head. She shouldn't have told them that. It wouldn't go down well.

"What do you mean, six weeks?" someone called out, as the murmuring began.

"What are you talking about?" the rancher woman asked with confusion.

Alicia motioned to the well angrily as she said, "If we don't work together, we will run out and we will die. It is that simple." She looked over the crowd, swallowing hard. "So, please... stop."

Kamille breathed out slowly, looking around and seeing the realisation settle in everyone's faces.

"You should've said something sooner," a rancher pointed out, before another raced forward and grabbed a carton from one of Walker's people's hands.

"Hey!" he yelled, about to go after her.

Everybody began to fight between each other, shoving to get to the well and get their share. Kamille tried to break it up, but they were too fierce now that they knew it was a life or death situation.

When she heard a gasp of pain from behind her, she realised Alicia had been shoved to the ground by someone, pushed out the way. Kamille ignored the others and ran to help her up. When she pulled her up, their eyes met and Kamille saw the regret in Alicia's. She didn't mean for all of this to happen.

A gunshot rang out, startling everyone, including both girls, and all eyes were on Crazy Dog who had just arrived. Behind him was an armed man and Ofelia.

"Back away from the well," he ordered loudly. "We're taking it to make sure everyone gets what they need."

Reluctantly, everybody made way for Crazy Dog and the others.

"Thank you very much," he said, a hint of sarcasm in his voice, as he walked towards the well, the others in tow.

To Kamille's surprise, Nick stepped in front of the well, blocking it from Crazy Dog.

"Move aside, Nick," he ordered.

"You're not taking the well," Nick said simply. "Stick to your half of the ranch, we stick to ours."

"The water's here, Nick," Crazy Dog reminded him. "We're not walking away from it."

Nick shrugged. "There's a pump on your side."

"Nick," Kamille mumbled, about to step forward, but Alicia's outstretched arm stopped her. She looked to the brunette, seeing her shake her head pleadingly.

"No," Crazy Dog said to Nick.

Nick sighed and pulled a pistol from the waistband of his jeans. Kamille didn't even know he had it – all guns were supposedly collected the other day. He sat on the edge of the well wall, staring up at Crazy Dog. A few ranchers stood beside him, defending the well. Kamille frowned, watching the clear divide before her.

Clenching his jaw, Crazy Dog stepped forward threateningly, but Ofelia held him back, muttering, "Not now."

Kamille watched as both of them glared at one another. She didn't know if a fight would break out, but to her relief, Crazy Dog put his gun away.

"I'll keep the peace," he said gruffly. "Not at all costs. You got that?"

Nick didn't reply, and Crazy Dog turned around and left. Ofelia shook her head at Nick before following after her people.

"Did you know Nick had a gun?" Kamille asked Alicia, turning to face the younger girl. "I thought everybody gave theirs in."

Alicia locked her jaw as she avoided Kamille's eyes. "I did. I only found out yesterday. Apparently some ranchers gave it to him, the last one they had secretly."

Kamille was surprised to learn that Alicia had in fact known, and decided to keep it to herself. "That's what you guys argued about yesterday," she realised aloud. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Alicia frowned as she finally met her eyes. "I'm sorry, I just didn't wanna worry you."

Kamille sighed. "Right..."

"I didn't think this would happen," Alicia admitted, motioning around her. "I thought I was fixing things."

"You couldn't have known," Kamille said, resting a hand on her shoulder. "We'll figure this out."

Alicia smiled with defeat, before moving forward and giving Kamille a quick hug. The older girl squeezed her gently, pressing a kiss to her neck before letting go and watching her walk away.

She turned around and saw Joanie hanging about still, thankfully unharmed.

"Are you okay?" Kamille asked, approaching her. "You didn't get hurt?"

"I'm okay." Joanie gave her a small smile. "But this isn't good. Six weeks of water is not gonna last with these lot fighting like cat and dog."

"We'll make it work," Kamille promised. "I don't want you worrying about it."

Joanie sighed, squeezing Kamille's forearm gently. "You're too good for this place, Kamille."

Kamille didn't know what to say, and Joanie offered a final smile before leaving. Kamille breathed out and looked around, realising everybody had left. So much for peaceful.

"There you are."

Kamille stopped walking and spun around, seeing Alicia approaching her.

"Here I am," Kamille said playfully. "Everything okay?"

Alicia nodded. "Yeah. I was keeping an eye on the ranch and saw some of Walker's people by the adobe. They're digging a new well, hoping to find some more water."

Kamille raised her eyebrows. "Really? You think it could work?"

Alicia shrugged, biting her lower lip. "I'm not sure. But it's worth a shot. Better than sitting around and waiting for everyone to kill each other. I was gonna go and help. There's not a lot of them and they could use the extra hands. I wanted to ask if you'd join?"

"Of course, Alicia," Kamille agreed instantly, already heading that way with her.

"We should pick up some extra shovels from the tool shed," Alicia said as they walked.

Kamille nodded. "Yeah... hey, has Madison checked in?"

Alicia ran a hand through her hair. "She's not answering when I try. I don't think she's coming back..."

"Maybe she's out of range," Kamille suggested, though Alicia seemed sure that her mother was really gone. "She'll be back."

Alicia stayed silent.

"Never mind that," Kamille changed the subject, believing Madison would return and Alicia just wasn't thinking straight. "Come on. Let's try and find some water."

After finding some extra shovels, the two girls joined the small group of Walker's people who were standing in a small hole of dirt, barely a few feet deep. Joining in immediately, they all worked together to dig wide and deep, sweaty and grime-covered. It was hot under the sun, but if it meant there was a chance of survival, none of them complained.

As they were working, Kamille realised somebody was blocking some sunlight and looked up to see Nick grabbing a bucket of dirt from Alicia's hands. Both girls were surprised as he smiled at them. Alicia said nothing as she cracked a small smile, handing him a shovel and letting him join in.

They continued working and realised a few more people were joining in, both the Nation and ranchers alike. When Kamille glanced at Alicia, she felt her heart flutter at the cute, appreciative smile on her lips when the younger girl realised that for a moment, there was no divide, just a joint goal. Kamille wished it would stay like the forever.

//

bit of a short one but yeah, hope you liked it 🤩

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.4K 1.3K 67
\Carl Grimes X Reader/ COMPLETE Rewrite is out now "This world was made for us. We were meant to be together. To fight together, to make it through...
54.9K 4.2K 31
Kamille Ali considered herself lucky for being able to find a second family in a world that constantly stole from her. She found a second mother, she...
30K 1K 10
(A/N: This won't be the same as the Fear The Walking Dead. Well I'm just making up things that happens when zombies or walkers exists, and this is my...
715 23 11
"stop the world I wanna get off with you" Angel never thought she would survive on her own. Somehow though, she's made it this far, after the events...