How to Rise From the Dead on...

By Zoe_Blessing

You've got a great story, but no one is reading it! That's because you need to help readers find you. This gu... More

Tip 1: Find the Right Tags
Tip 3: Create a Good Cover - Fonts
Tip 4: Create a Good Cover - Layout
Tip 5: Create a Good Cover - Technical Stuff
Tip 6: Understand the Hot Lists
Tip 7: Respond to All Comments
Tip 8: Ask for Votes
Tip 9: Post on a Schedule
Tip 10: Write Shorter Chapters
Tip 11: Be Social
Tip 12: Advertise Properly
Tip 13: Participate in Contests
Tip 14: Promote Other Writers
Tip 15: Lead Readers to Your Next Book
Tip 16: Periodically Update Chapters
Tip 17: Try TikTok

Tip 2: Create a Good Cover - Images

12.2K 392 154
By Zoe_Blessing

One of the most used cliches ever involves judging books by their covers. We all do it. In our minds, a sloppy or ugly cover means a sloppy or badly-written story awaits inside. Or it might not say anything about your story at all.

A good book cover accomplishes the following:

1. Catches attention

2. Suggests the story's genre

3. Sets the tone or atmosphere

A good cover has several components, so this topic will be split into multiple chapters. We'll start with cover images.

Suggest a Genre

One of the biggest decisions for book covers is what image to use. It could literally be anything, so what do you choose? The subject matter and style of an image plays a big part in conveying a book's genre. When you see a bare-chested guy, you know it's romance. When you see a space ship or futuristic city, you think science fiction. When you see a closeup of a girl's face, it's probably YA (Young Adult). When you see Converse shoes, it's probably high school.

If you're unsure what kind of images your genre uses, go browse a bunch of books in your genre. Either browse the hot list here on Wattpad or go to Amazon and browse the bestsellers there.

Catch Attention

The paradox of cover images is it needs to convey a genre by looking like all the other books around it, but it still needs to stand out. The reason there are so many faces on book covers is because eyes attract our gaze. As social creatures, humans naturally look to the eyes to make contact and get information. This makes faces an effective tool for catching attention.

When choosing background imagery instead of people, make sure it isn't too busy. The title needs to stand out on top of it, so the background should either have a nice space to fit the title into, or have its contrast lowered so it's less busy. Ideally the background kind of frames the title, but if it doesn't, at least make sure the title is readable. In the example below, the left image is harder to read because of the busy background. The right image has the background darkened. You can still see what it is, but now the title stands out as it should.

If you can find or create an image that suggests your genre while at the same time looking different from similar books, that would be huge. It's challenging though, so don't feel bad if you can't. Looking similar to other successful books in your genre is a win too.

Set the Tone

Many writers make the mistake of trying to create a cover that's too literal. I once saw one where they had the standard closeup of a girl's face, which was good, but then they also pasted on several more images of the girl as she grew up, to represent the different stages of her journey. It looked very busy, unprofessional, and kind of ugly. A cover's job isn't to explain anything in the book. It's to convince a reader to stop and find out more about it.

The cover for my book, Siena (if you haven't read it yet, be sure to check it out on my profile!), is actually non-standard for a YA Fantasy. I went with it because it gave me the feeling I was looking for. The colors were light and airy while the silhouette of the girl suggests she's running or wary about something. There's a wolf on there even though there are no wolves in the story, but that's okay because it suggests a menace. It's all about conveying the atmosphere you want, not what is literally in the story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 978 111
You're always searching for new books and you think you've read them all. Here's some great books written by even better writers You can even suggest...
17.4K 1.1K 27
This guide will hopefully help you to create the perfect world to set your story in. I'll be suggesting resources, websites, tips from Pinterest and...
11K 769 101
This is free publicity opportunity, please refer to the first chapter for details on promoting your story. This story is updated every Wednesday morn...
49.8K 2.3K 102
I'm unwanted, unloved, ugly and a lot of other things that begin with the letter "U." So read the horrible truth of my unfolding and inevitable insan...