scrub caps | grey's anatomy

By aanatomy

౨ৎ in which aliya levine begins her third year of surgical residency with overbearing parents, an ex who left... More

𝑺𝑪𝑹𝑼𝑩 𝑪𝑨𝑷𝑺
☕︎︎ cast
☕︎︎ playlist
𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒐𝒏𝒆
i. when jackson met aliya
ii. like a shot of tequila
iii. don't run with scissors
iv. the prodigal daughter
v. it's a gut thing
vi. memories feel like weapons
vii. the last great american dynasty
viii. but the punchline goes
ix. all is fair in love and surgery
xi. the invisible string theory
xii. ugh, as if!
xiii. she's not a very good liar
xiv. alex karev, killing aliya's love life since 2007
xv. something med school didn't cover
xvi. like a gun to the head (literally)
𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐
xvii. i'm doing good, i'm on some new shit
xviii. somethings you just can't speak about
xix. all of my what-ifs
xx. the white picket fence
xxi. my brain goes ahhhh
xxii. triple a
xxiii. and we kept everything professional
xxiv. social suicide
xxv. six am meeting in aliya's bedroom, don't be late!
xxvi. i knew everything when i was young
xxvii. peter losing wendy
xxviii. tick, tick, tick, boom!
xxix. get your head out the gutter!
xxx. did the love affair maim you too?
xxxi. twenty nine never felt so good
xxxii. hating you is the most exhausting
xxxiii. sucker punch!
xxxiv. cryptic and machiavellian
xxxv. maple syrup, coffee, pancakes for two
xxxvi. triple dates and three tiered cakes
xxxvii. always an angel
xxxviii. the idea you had of me, who was she?
𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆
xxxix. you don't get to tell me about sad
xl. the cut that always bleeds
xli. when you know, you know
xlii. the tortured surgeons department
xliii. all of me changed like midnight rain

x. heart-shaped chocolates make me sick

15.6K 415 54
By aanatomy

chapter ten valentine's day massacre
season six, episode fourteen

❝ what would the fun be if i told
you everything straight away?

Aliya jolted awake — having a throw pillow hurtled at your face in the early hours of the morning seemed to have that sort of effect.

Rubbing her face with her hand, she blinked at the outline of a person stood in her doorway, more like the person she was going to add to her hit list.

"Shove over." Alex nudged her shoulder, causing the half asleep woman to roll over across her bed to make room, landing face down into her pillow that muffled her frustrated groan. She felt the weight of the bed shift as Alex led on his back beside her, hands rested on his chest.

"What time is it?" Aliya mumbled, barely audible as she spoke directly into the pillow, not bothering to move even though she was struggling to actually breathe.

"Four thirty." Alex replied in a casual manner, his eyes fixated on the ceiling.

Aliya shuffled in the bed, jolting up right.

"Four thirty? In the morning? Are you kidding me?" Aliya placed a palm on her head, stifling a tired yawn. "Too early to function without coffee. Too early to function without coffee."

She grabbed the pillow and shoved it on top of her head with a disgruntled groan.

"In the afternoon, Aliya." Alex corrected his friend after seeing the look on her face. "We worked the night shift last night. You remember that, right?"

The brunette made a face, peeking out from behind the pillow. "Days and nights just kind of mush together."

"You wanna go in early?" Alex looked down at the lump in the duvet which was Aliya, frowning.

Today was a day that Alex and Aliya shared a mutual hatred, of as of lately. It was the day they had ultimately been dreading, because nothing was worse than being surrounded by happy couples when your own love life was a glorified train wreck.

The day was more formally knows as Valentine's Day, and the two friends purposefully chose the night shift for the previous day, so at least they could skip half of the day by sleeping through it.

They could list all the cliché reasons as to why they hated the day, but they would be there for hours. The main reason though was at the end of the day, love sucked a great deal of the time.

After a few seconds, Aliya forced herself out of the bed, practically falling onto the floor as she rolled out. She stumbled to the door, pushing her hair out of her face as she made her way into the bathroom.

Turning on the faucet, she grabbed her monster shaped toothbrush from the kids section in Target to brush her teeth, before wandering back into to her bedroom.

"Are you coming or what?" She spoke through a mouthful of toothpaste, causing it to drip down her chin.

The Karev man curled his nose up from his position on the bed.

"Yeah, but don't say anything else, spit it out you freak." He chuckled, slipping off the bed to follow Aliya to the bathroom.

"Ass." She nudged him in the shoulder with a smirk, shoving each other back and forth against the walls as they descended the hall to the bathroom.

—✩—

"Did you know that Kepner girl is back? The one who killed that woman?" Alex gulped down his coffee as the pair wandered through the halls, now in scrubs.

Aliya gasped, slapping his arm.

"Hey!" Alex protested, swatting her hand away.

"She probably feels horrible about it." Aliya lectured. "Don't be mean."

The pair pushed through the double doors to the emergency room.

"I'm not—"

"You've got to be kidding me." Aliya muttered as she stared at the room which was decorated from floor to ceiling with flowers, hearts, and paper chains, all the different shades of pink and red.

"Now this is why I think Valentine's day is ghastly." Alex grumbled.

A plate of chocolates lay at the front desk, in heart shapes with red foil wrapping, otherwise known as the one good thing about Valentine's day.

The ER was empty except for Jackson, of course, spinning on the front desk chair, casually eating potato chips.

He leaned his head back, chucking them into his mouth with his feet up at the desk.

The pair approached him and Alex grabbed one of the chocolates straight away, unwrapped it and smacked it into his mouth, glaring around the room in distaste. Jackson looked up and over his chip packet at the two, raising his eyebrows.

"Why are you guys in already?" Jackson asked, continuing to crunch on his crisps.

"We had nothing better to do." Alex shrugged, going in for another heart shaped chocolate.

"Who did this to the ER?" Aliya asked, imaging the great satisfaction she would feel if she could tear down every inch of the decorations.

Maybe her grudge against Valentine's day will go with age, like wine or olives.

"The nurses." Jackson explained, following Aliya's eyes around the room. "You don't like Valentines day?"

valentine's day, four years ago

Aliya clicked her cellphone on, staring at the time which only seemed to mock her. 8:48pm.

She sighed, bringing her wine glass to her lips and taking a sip as she looked around the restaurant, letting her eyes fall on to the sea of seemingly happy couples smiling at each other over the complimentary breadsticks and vases of roses, holding each other's hands fondly.

It was Valentine's day of course, this place was bound to be full to the brim of love sick couples.

Her eyes scoured the menu for the what felt like the hundredth time, tracing the edges of the paper with her finger, trying everything to avoid the pitiful eyes of the waiters.

Nervously, she twisted the new, shiny diamond engagement ring that adorned her finger, trying to fight away the anxiety. It was weird wearing it, she didn't know why, but even after all these weeks of being engaged, it felt — wrong.

Maybe it was the fact that her fiancé was forty five minutes late.

To keep her distracted, she started to think about her exams next month, and how she should really be studying for them if she wanted to graduate.

Though, that only made her think of the fact that she still hadn't chosen a residency program. She was waiting for him to say something about it, to ask her to go for the same one as him, so they didn't have to be part, but he never did.

"Hey, Aliya, sorry I'm late." The man spoke breathlessly as he appeared beside the table.

Aliya looked up, and her previous state of anger seemed to evaporate temporarily as she smiled into a pair of sky blue eyes. Elijah leaned in, kissing her lightly on the cheek before slipping into his seat opposite her.

"Where were you?" Aliya asked, closing the menu in front of her, she tried to make her voice sound bright, but it never really seemed to work all that much.

"Oh— I was held up. They got us practicing on cadavers." He explained, clearing his throat and opening the menu, taking his own glass of wine Aliya had already ordered for him.

She raised a brow at him. "Why are you nervous?" She stared down at his shaking hand with careful eyes as he clutched the menu to try and make it stop.

"I— I'm not nervous. Me? Nervous? No." He shook his head, pushing his dirty blonde hair to the side. He took Aliya's hand in his, rubbing her palm with his thumb, calmly, though Aliya could still tell something was different with him today.

"If you say so." Aliya spoke, unconvinced as she narrowed her eyes sceptically.

The pair sat in further silence, with Elijah nervously looking up at Aliya every few seconds.

Aliya shuffled in her seat, unable to take what was going on. "The calamari looks—"

"I can't do this." Elijah interrupted, taking his hand away from Aliya's to press it against his forehead in an instant, leaving her hand cold on the tablecloth. Her eyes flicked down to her empty hand, then back to him.

"What—" Her voice broke into a short burst of laughter. "What do you mean?"

"I— I thought I could give you this one thing. A Valentine's day. But—" He paused, scratching his jaw nervously, closing the menu as if he wasn't going to order anything. "I can't do that to you."

"You're being cryptic. What are you talking about?" Aliya's heart started beating a millisecond too fast in her chest, her eyes watching closely as Elijah looked rapidly around the restaurant, avoiding her gaze at all costs.

"I can't do this anymore."

Aliya froze as Elijah's eyes finally landed on her as he said the words she never thought she would ever hear from the mouth of a man she trusted most in this world, having been in a relationship with him for the past four years, she would never even imagine him saying those words.

"Aliya?"

She cleared her throat, unable to comprehend what was going on around her. "What?" She finally managed to say.

"We have to break up." He told her in no time, as if Aliya didn't hear him the first time where he had phrased it differently.

In that moment, she could physically feel a dozen pairs of eyes as her fiancé was trying to break up with her in the middle of a packed restaurant on Valentine's Day.

Hell, even the breadsticks thought it was depressing.

"I heard you perfectly clear." Aliya laid her hands flat on the table in an attempt to keep her cool. "I'm just— I'm struggling to understand why?"

Elijah took a deep breath. "It's not you it's—"

"Don't give me that bullshit. I deserve more than that." Aliya snapped, flicking her head back up at him, his eyes tearing away from hers the second they gained contact.

"I— I just can't right now." He paused as a million different thoughts hurdled through Aliya's mind like the stampede at the beginning of The Lion King that was always guaranteed to make her cry. "I got offered an internship in Florida."

"Okay." Aliya closed her eyes for a brief moment to comprehend what was happening before her eyes. "So, that's it? You're just quitting? After all this time? You didn't even bother to tell me? We can make it work—" She started to blurt random thoughts out with no structure, her mind spiralling endlessly.

When she broke up with him over a year ago, he did everything to save their relationship, convincing her she didn't have to be alone just because she was scared he was going to leave or reach the stage where he can't stand to be in the same room as her because she bored him so much. He convinced her he would never leave, promised her wouldn't leave. And the time before that, and before that.

Aliya had broken up with the man opposite her four times, though he never left, and somehow she never expected him to ever do it.

"I can't do it, Aliya. I don't want you tied to me." Elijah's voice cracked, but Aliya didn't feel an ounce of pity for him.

"What do you mean?" She replied, confused to the reasoning behind why Elijah decided their future without even consulting her, without making it a discussion. Did these past four years mean nothing to him?

"I—" He stuttered, taking a quick swig off his wine to take the edge off.

"You aren't making much sense Elijah!" Aliya finally caught his eye as he set the glass back down. "We can make it work. There are lots of great hospitals in Florida, and it'll be nice to move somewhere else. God knows I'm not going back to California."

He sighed. "Aliya—"

She shook her head. "You can't just give up."

"I'm not." He whispered sharply, scratching his jaw again.

"It sounds like you are." She countered, bitterly.

"God! Aliya! I don't want to be with you any more!" Elijah slammed a hand down onto the menu, sending a vibration across the table to Aliya who inhaled sharply at the contact, her chest tightening underneath her dress that was feeling as if it was suffocating her.

Now, there for sure were a dozen pairs of eyes on them.

So, instead of crying and screaming at the man she loved who just shattered her heart into a million tiny pieces, she grabbed her bag and coat, wrapped her scarf, that would end up in the trash because he bought it for her, around her neck and slipped out of her seat.

She mustered her last ounce of strength and dignity as she glanced at him directly. "You know what, before you decided for yourself you were going to quit, I was thinking about it too."

She never thought about it.

She knew it was hurtful. At the time, she wanted to hurt him as much as he just hurt her so, she took the ring of her finger, slamming it onto the table with one quick movement. It bounced slightly, twirling around before settling down on the cloth.

Countless times she questioned herself whether she should've dug deeper as to why he had ended it so abruptly, statistically, out of the two of them, she was more likely to be the one that quit. She had done it before and he always convinced her otherwise, he showed her what it was like to be loved.

It was easier for her to end the exchange with bitterness, admitting she too had thought about ending things. She convinced herself in that small moment of time that she needed more than him. Tried to convince herself, at least.

"You're not even going to say anything?" She asked as he remained silent, his eyes trained on the ring discarded in front of him.

"Aliya—" He started after a couple of second, but it was too late, she had already turned on her heel and her feet guided her out the door and into her parking lot.

She couldn't look back. She didn't want to look back to see Elijah digging his fingernails into his forehead, leaving crescent moons. Or the waiter asking him if he needed anything else. She just threw off her heels, replaced them with her designated driving Ugg boots and slammed on the gas.

It was only when she pulled up to her apartment she shared with two of the girls from her University that she started to cry, tears burning red hot down her cheeks.

When she finally got inside she pulled open her laptop and selected a document marked 'Surgical Internships'.  She slammed letters that formed 'Somewhere in Seattle'. The furthest place away from Florida, she had to put as many miles possible between her and Elijah.

And besides, Seattle seemed like it would be a fresh start anyway.

present day

"Let's just say, I'm not its biggest fan." She shrugged, shaking her head in an attempt to rid herself of the memory that still haunted her to this day.

"Is this what an aneurism looks like?" Jackson joked, chuckling through a mouthful of chips.

Aliya narrowed her eyes at him, frowning at his comment and too tired to say something about how he couldn't possibly know what an aneurysm looked like, because he probably had never seen one.

"I can see how you would be confused." She chose to reply, sarcastically anyway, faking a smile as she strode ti the other side of the desk, snatching the chip packet out of his grasp, causing the chips to fly out. Aliya walked back victorious, popping a salt and vinegar chip in her mouth, despite the fact she didn't like that particular flavour of chips, she ate a few anyway just for the sake of it, and it served Jackson right.

"Dude." Alex laughed with Jackson, who was picking chips off of his chest and eating them anyway.

"I should be doctoring right now. We should be doctoring right now." Aliya groaned, passing the chips to Alex and dropping her head in her hands to try and stifle a yawn despite only having just woken up.

"Doctoring isn't a word, dingus." Alex pointed out, matter-of-factly, accepting the chips and beginning to eat the remaining crumbs.

"Words were made up to begin with. What stops me from making a new word." Aliya mumbled into her palms incoherently.

"She makes a good point." Jackson agreed, slouching into his chair even further.

"Don't listen to her," Alex grunted, discarding the chips in the trash. "She says that all the time. She makes up new words every week."

A smile tugged on Jackson's lips as he angled his head to the brunette seemingly going through an existential crisis, which he couldn't help but find quite adorable.

Which made him feel quite sick, in all honesty. Seeing as the jealousy from a few night ago was enough to drive him insane.

"Isn't Valentine's day meant to busier?" Alex questioned, casting a glance over to a man led on the gurney who recently got stitches, waiting for someone to pick him up. "Full of loved up idiots who make bad decisions?"

"It's going sl—"

"No! Don't say it!" Aliya yelled at Jackson who jumped in surprise as her voice reached a different pitch than he was used to.

"Dude!"

"What?"

"You were gonna say the S word! You can't say that in an ER!" Aliya informed, manically.

Jackson quirked a brow. "Superstitious much?"

Aliya frowned. "Cautious is a better word."

And as if on cue, the brunette's phone buzzed from where she had placed it on the counter, and the three pairs of eyes glanced at it.

"Holy shit." Aliya murmured, bringing her phone closer to her eyes.

"That's not going to make you see better you know." Jackson observed, pushing himself up from his chair to peer at her phone, to make sure just by nearly saying that word, he hadn't caused a car crash of some sort.

"What's the matter?" Alex asked, peeking over her shoulder at her phone also.

"A freaking roof collapsed in a restaurant!" She read the message from one of the paramedics she knew, shoving her phone back into her pocket and skipping towards the yellow trauma gowns as if they were operating a magnetic field. She slipped on one and cast a glance at the two men from over her shoulder, a wide grin adorning her features. "Are you coming or are you just gonna stand there?"

Jackson and Alex straightened up, exchanging a look as they too followed the woman's lead and put on trauma gowns.

"Why are you so happy about a roof collapsing?" Jackson asked, fastening the knots of his gown as he spoke. "That's really morbid, Levine." He tried to say seriously, though he too found Aliya's excitement for it to be quite entertaining.

Before Aliya could answer, the phone rang, as if on cue. Rushing to it, she quickly picked it up.

"Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital." She spoke into the receiver as the other line instantly began to shout orders into her ear.

"Page all attendings and residents, get anyone you can down here, NOW." She started digging through the supplies, checking what they have and she made her way to the Trauma nurses. "We need Neuro, Trauma, Cardio, Plastics. Everyone. And, as much equipment as possible."

"Holy shit, is it that bad?" Jackson tied to his trauma gown.

"It's all your fault, Avery." Aliya lectured him.

—✩—

"Depressed skull fracture." Derek announced, pulling out the patients chart.

"With a subdural hematoma." Aliya added quickly from where she was stood at his side.

He nodded in confirmation, handing her the patients chart to his resident, and turning around to peek out the window looking out on the already swarmed ER.

"Alright, let's book an OR."

Aliya grinned at the prospect of finally being back on Derek's service where she could observe neurosurgical procedures where she didn't have the overwhelming urge to gouge her own eye out.

With Dr Nelson, she found that she didn't do that as much, he was quite a conventional surgeon, never really stepping outside the box, never really letting someone else do the procedure.

But, with Derek, it was completely different.

Aliya placed the chart down. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing." He defended, looking away from the window.

"You're hiding. Why are you hiding?" Aliya chuckled to herself.

"I step out there and then everyone is on me like vultures. It's exhausting." He pressed a hand to his forehead in frustration.

"So, you hiding out with Mr. Laney."

"He makes for good company." Derek paused, returning his gaze back out the window. "Okay, walk with me."

The pair emerged from the trauma room just as Arizona appeared out before them, no amount of body guards would stop him from being pounced on as soon as he came into plain sight.

"Oh God." Derek sighed as the three of them shuffled down the hall.

"I need you to reassign some anaesthesiologists. You're being cupid for Bailey." Arizona grinned at the festivities, trying to hand Derek a chart and a pen.

"I don't do that. I did that once, and she yelled at me." Derek explained whilst taking the chart from Arizona anyway to sign his name.

"Who's the lucky guy?" Aliya shoved her hands in her pockets and grinned, squinting at the papers Derek was signing.

"Ben Warren!" Arizona relied while Aliya nodded, agreeing that they would make a good couple. "I'll be cupid. You just be the Chief."

"I am not cupid." He told the blonde.

"Dr. Shepherd, the reporters are waiting for a statement." April stopped in front them, causing Aliya to jump slightly at her voice suddenly sounding directly in her ear.

"I have a surgery." Derek replied back, handing the chart back to Arizona.

"Well actually, Dr. Nelson said—"

"No! No!" Aliya laughed breathlessly, shaking her head rapidly in an attempt to stop Dr. Nelson from doing the surgery. "You can't leave me with him!" She stared at Derek, who widened his eyes and continued walking, supposedly trying to get rid of April.

April pulled a face before returning back to look at her clipboard. "He could take your skull fracture. I'm sorry, Aliya but he's already got a resident in his service, he's off to the OR now—"

"You gave my surgery away." Aliya interjected slowly with more aggression than she intended to have.

"No—"

"You did!"

"Dr. Nelson already—"

"Kepner, you've got to be joking!"

"I— uh— Derek," She turned her attention away from the very pissed, very cranky brunette woman. "You've got the trustee's breakfast in the morning, and when the trustees turn on the eleven news, it's your face they'll want to see."

Derek sighed, stopping in the ER and staring around at all the patients being treated. The charging of the paddles. The sounds of voices demanding orders across the beeps of machines, it was comforting in a way.

A hoard of paramedics walked in from the ambulance bay and past them, pushing a gurney through the middle of the room. "Watch it! Coming through!"

"I got the arm.!" Jackson followed the gurney, holding said arm in a plastic bag.

Aliya turned away, back to Derek in order to attempt to convince him to stay. "Dr Shepherd, please. Be a surgeon! Do the surgery. You can be both. You can be a surgeon and the Chief at the same time! You know that right—"

"Chief Shepherd?" April interjected, holding up his jacket to help him out it on.

"I'm sorry." Derek muttered to a frazzled Aliya, turning away from her and her patheticness.

"No! Derek! Come on!" Aliya sighed, watching Derek leave to the ambulance bay without another word, where a bunch of reporters were waiting for him.

April still stood there smiling broadly like she did a job well done, holding her clipboard tight to her chest.

She turned to Aliya, meeting her unimpressed glance. "What! I'm just doing my job!"

"Your job is a surgeon, not a personal assistant. You don't see me putting on Shepherd's coat for him." Aliya backed away with a grimace. "Thanks for taking the one good thing out of my day."

She threw her hands down in frustration even though she felt slightly bad for taking her frustrations out on April, remembering what she said to Alex earlier about the whole not being mean thing.

Which led to Aliya cursing her fourth Grade teacher for organising Kindness Day at her school.

"Look. I'm sorry for yelling at you. I was deflecting. I didn't mean it. Dr. Nelson just— he just—"

"Sucks?" April finished, smiling slightly.

"Yeah, he does."

April laughed, letting her clipboard fall from her chest. 

"So. Why don't you actually want to do surgery?" Aliya questioned. "You were rehired. You got a second chance. Why don't you want to do any?"

"I—" She cleared her throat, looking down at her shoes. "I don't want to be the girl who killed someone's mom." She didn't look up whilst she lifted a hand to swat a loose tear away, sniffling onto the back of her hand at the thought of the unwanted memory.

"Then don't be her. We all make mistakes." Aliya reassured. "Sometimes they cost us. But what matters is what we learn from those mistakes. Well, that's what my history teacher said and teachers are meant to be wise so take her advice."

April smiled, using the sleeve of her white coat to dry her eyes. "Thank you."

Aliya smiled back at the red head, her eyes catching as Dr. Nelson emerged from the trauma room.

"Dr. Nelson!" Aliya rushed over to him, past April as she stopped him from advancing towards the exit even quicker.

"Dr. Levine, I have surgery." The man said as he looked over the rim of his reading glasses, taking them off his face.

Aliya let out a laugh, though she wasn't finding her surgery getting poached all that funny. "Actually, Dr. Nelson, I was on that case, you can't just—"

"I can." He grumbled, miserably.

Hateful, idiotic man.

Aliya pursed her lips tightly. "Don't you think that's a little unfair?"

Dr. Nelson shrugged. "What's done is done—"

"That's—"

"Goodbye, Levine." He gave her a condescending smirk as he disappeared out of the pit, leaving a very angry Aliya behind him.

"Levine, are you free?"

She had never thought the voice of Owen Hunt would be her saviour, but in that moment it was, only for a fleeting second.

"Yes!" Aliya clapped her hands together, turning on her heel and advancing to where Owen's head was poking out of a trauma room.

"Great, I need your help." He said as Aliya entered the room.

"What do you need?" She asked, watching as the patient was wheeled away.

"I need you and Avery to debrief the arm, tag the vessels and get it up to me as soon as you can."

"Okay." Aliya nodded her head as Owen left the trauma room behind the patient, leaving only her, Jackson and the arm behind.

"Yang's with Hunt." Jackson stated out of the blue as he set up the arm, ready for them to get started. 

"Great observation." Aliya spoke whilst pulling on a pair of fresh gloves, joining him by the arm and reaching for the equipment.

Aliya kept her head down, getting started with removing the concrete and tarmac. "Grey's with Shepherd. Torres is with Robbins."

"Hm." She murmured, not knowing where this dating history lesson was going.

"Karev was married to Stevens. Other Grey was with Sloan." He withdrew a breath, shaking his head as he held back laughter, the funny thing was however, that wasn't even half of it. "It's a wonder you guys got any work done around here."

Aliya nodded her head, she had to agree with him, it wasn't as if he was lying. "It's more of a reality television show than a hospital."

"So—" Jackson cleared his throat, nervously reaching for the clamp as he tagged off the vessels. "Any I'm missing?"

"Nothing significant." Aliya lied, focusing her attention on removing more of pieces of ceiling from this poor man's severed arm.

"You sure?" Jackson asked, inquisitively with a raised a brow as the woman opposite him simply nodded in response. "Why don't you like Valentine's day? The real reason instead of the old textbook excuses of it being a scam orchestrated by the card companies."

She looked up from the arm, glancing across at him as he watched her with interest, instead of actually doing what they were supposed to do, what they were paid to do. "What would the fun be if I told you everything straight away?"

Jackson frowned at the woman. "You haven't told me anything."

"Maybe that's the point." Aliya shrugged, looking back at the arm.

He chuckled, lightly. "Humour me."

"I don't hate Valentine's day." Aliya defended, tagging a vessel and reaching for another pair of clamps.

"Fine. I'll guess." Jackson smirked as he continued to work aswell as think of all the possible reasons why Aliya didn't like Valentine's Day. "Naturally cynical? Doesn't believe in love? Bad parental examples of love? Dumped on the day?"

Aliya stilled for just a second, hoping he wouldn't have caught onto it at all.

"Ah! Ding, ding, ding."

"No." Aliya burst out, quickly. "Not ding, ding, ding."

"Come on." The Avery man grinned. "You can trust me."

Oh, even his voice was attractive. How was that even allowed?

The way he spoke gave the feeling of so many great things all at once, like the smell of coffee, the sound of rain, the theme tune of a favourite television show. Someone Aliya barely knew that well's voice shouldn't be allowed to be added to the list.

She scrunched up her nose at that thought. "I don't even know you."

"We could get to know each other, Levine." Jackson suggested. "It's not that hard."

That damn voice again.

And his grin.

She really did hate him.

Sometimes.

"What if I don't want to?" She challenged, not wanting to even make eye contact with this man— the stupid green eyed man.

"Oh, come on!" He chuckled, shaking his head at her stubbornness. "Fine, I'll go first. My name is Jackson Robert Avery. My birthday is November eighteenth. I played baseball in high school and football in college, but you already knew that. My favourite food is waffles with bacon and maple syrup, and I don't eat leftovers because I think it's depressing to eat out of tupperware containers—"

Aliya pulled a face, feeling personally attacked seeing as she had leftovers (from a tupperware container) the previous night. "You find it depress—"

"I'm not done." Jackson cut her off, and Aliya's widened her eyes, curiously. "I'm an incredibly slow reader, it's actually pretty dumb. I was prom king four years in a row."

"Of course you were." Aliya scoffed, her smile widening even more against her will. "Now that's just—"

"I know impressive."

Aliya pursed her lips at him. "I was gonna say braggy."

"And—" He continued on, despite Aliya practically saying he had a big ego. "I had an imaginary friend who was half-troll, half-gremlin who drank the tears of my imaginary enemies. His name was Frodo." He finished, stretching his shoulders and reaching for another clamp.

Aliya laughed, so hard her chest started to hurt and even though Jackson knew she was laughing at him, it still made him smile to see her eyes brighten, small adorable creases appearing by her eyes. "Frodo? You named your imaginary friend Frodo?"

"Hey, what's wrong with that?" He defended.

"Frodo. No, there's nothing wrong with that, it's very sweet actually." She spoke through the still continuous laughter, having to pause her work to steady herself.

"You're up, Levine."

"I think I'm—"

"No backing out now."

Rolling her eyes at the whole encounter, she had to admit she thought it was strange how this damn man was weirdly nosy, prying into her life as if he were trying to dig a hole in the ground with a plastic forks they had in the cafeteria.

"Fine." Aliya gave in, she couldn't exactly help it when the man opposite her looked like a greek god from the history books. "My name is Aliya Juliet Levine." She muttered quickly.

"Sorry, what was that?" He leaned in, pretending he didn't hear her.

"Aliya Juliet Levine. Don't make a face, it's my Nana's name." He raised his arms in surrender, ushering her to continue with a wave of his hand, brushing off the fact her middle name was the same as a protagonist in one of Shakespeare's most famous plays. "I was born on March third. Um— my favourite food?"

She chewed the inside of her cheek in thought.

"That's easy, apple pie. I grew up in Los Angeles and there was a cafe by my High School that did the best apple pie I've ever had, if I was on my death bed, I would ask for that."

Jackson's eyes seemed to brighten, which could have a hallucinogenic effect on a person if they weren't careful. "That good, huh?"

"That good. I don't joke about apple pie." She confirmed with a serious expression, which Jackson understood with a nod of his head, beckoning to give him more. "I moved to Seattle because I hated the weather in LA, it was constantly Summer. Fall is my favourite season. The drinks, the weather, the scarfs! One time, my grandmother knitted me this really long scarf once, it wrapped around my neck thirteen times, more like a blanket."

He watched every single point of her face light up at the distance memory she recounted.

"And I guess I enjoy painting in my free time."

"What do you paint?" He replied, sounding genuinely interested in everything about her.

"Anything really, I've been painting that—uh— that park by the grocery store, you know—" With a sigh, she paused in thought, racking her brain around for the name of this particular park. "I forgot what it's called, it's very nice though."

Smiling warmly, Jackson looked up from his work, at the same time she did, causing their eyes to meet over the very severed arm. "Maybe I can see them sometime."

Aliya pursed her lips and stared at him closely, her eyes narrowing. "Maybe. I would have to kill you afterwards though."

His pink lips curved into the smile he usually did when she spoke.

He sighed, mocking disappointment. "Don't beat up my face too much then. It's my one thing." He resolved, holding up his index finger. "My one thing."

"Deal."

"What would you be if you couldn't be a surgeon?Your second choice." Jackson asked.

"Probably an artist." Aliya answered immediately, instantly regretting it. She wasn't meant to like this guy. This guy wasn't meant to make her heart flutter and flip like it was doing a circus act. He wasn't meant to make her feel this way. "Did you always dream about being a surgeon?"

She ignored every thought running through her head, she too couldn't deny the curiosity she felt when she was with him.

"Yes. I guess I did." He contemplated his answer carefully. "In my family, I was seen as the pretty one. I was expected to not really achieve much. I was seen as someone who was seen and not heard. So I wanted to do something unexpected, so I became a surgeon."

"To prove yourself?" Aliya inquired, looking as he lifted his head back to her, nodding slowly in the process.

"Kinda." Jackson said with a short sigh. "Same for you?"

"Something like that."

Aliya quickly resolved to the fact that she couldn't answer that question with a:

Yes, but also no, very long story short but basically, my parents blackmailed me into becoming surgeon just like them, forcing me to learn every single procedure and medical word in the dictionary, even when I was only a kid, putting tremendous pressure on me and made me believe my self worth was tied to whether I succeeded or not, and even though I am now a surgeon and twenty seven years old, they still didn't seem proud of me, even though I had done exactly what they wanted all throughout their life as they raised a sceptical, control freak of a human being who thinks that nothing in her life could be permanent, because she is never enough no matter how hard she tried.

That was quite a lot to dump on a person.

"You know," Aliya started as she tagged another vessel. "I was lying before."

Jackson raised a brow. "About what?"

"About the whole 'Seattle Grace Mercy West Dating Show'." She replied, thinking about how she would genuinely watch that show if it was ever aired. That would make for some top quality entertainment.

"Oh yeah?"

"I dated Mark Sloan," Even saying those words made Aliya want to break a door. "You can add that to the record."

He bobbed his head. "Noted."

—✩—

Aliya and Cristina shuffled over to where Alex and Meredith were stood, eating a box of half eaten chocolates, looking out the window through to a patients room.

After successfully reattaching the severed arm in the OR, Aliya so desperately needed a drink at Joe's, so she went on a mission to find her single drinking buddy.

"I'm starving." Cristina moaned, peering into the heart shaped chocolate box. "Ew, these are all half-eaten."

Aliya shrugged, reaching for a half eaten, visibly hazelnut, chocolate. "It's what Alex does. It's gross but, I have to admit, it's useful."

"So you can see what they are." Alex explained through a mouthful of a mixture of various different chocolates.

Cristina contemplated it for a moment, seeing as it was a little gross to potentially eat another persons saliva, but desperate times called for desperate measures, so she picked one up.

"Score, caramel." Aliya popped the half eaten caramel into her mouth leaning back against the desk as she savoured the taste.

"What are we doing?" Cristina questioned, taking the words right out of Aliya's mouth, watching as Meredith and Alex stared thoughtfully at a woman and a man in the ICU.

"Her boring husband's in surgery. This dude's been in love with her for 15 years." He pointed at the man lying in the bed next to the lady.

"But, she just found out, so we're waiting to see if she says something." Meredith finished, reaching for another chocolate, visibly strawberry.

Alex nodded, rummaging through the chocolate box and selecting a half eaten hazelnut heart. "Or if her husband croaks."

"But, it's okay if he does because they're both miserable." Meredith justified.

"A real life love story." Aliya smiled at the patients, though it all did seem quite a waste when you thought about it.

Mer turned to Aliya. "I mean, is this what marriage turns into? Running out of things to say and changing who you are?"

The others nodded their heads in agreement.

Aliya gave the two patients a sympathetic look they couldn't see. "Well, their marriage does seem slightly depressing."

"Well, I didn't marry Derek to be the Chief's arm candy. I'm a surgeon." Meredith announced to the group with passion.

"You married him for the great surgeries." Cristina joked, looking over at Mer with a smirk.

She shook her head. "I didn't do that either."

"You should have." Cristina grumbled.

"I guess this is slightly romantic. Pining for 15 years. But, isn't it just a waste of time? Never telling someone what you really think until it's too late?" Aliya commented, retracting her previous excitement for the two as she began biting her nails, clasping hold of the silver locket on her neck as she thought about the whole prospect of miscommunication.

It was truly a bitch.

Meredith walked to the window, attempting to get a closer look through the glass. "I guess. But now they've finally found each other."

"And it only took a roof collapsing in a restaurant."

( notes! )

alexa play right where you left me by taylor swift

all you need to know about elijah for now is that we don't like him

also every jaliya scene i write i fall more and more in love with them uggggh

( word count! — 6,700 )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

359K 5.5K 86
𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒 || 𝐉𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 in which grace donahue, a surgical resident who moves to seattle, falls in love with a certa...
313K 6.6K 145
Ava Shepherd is the youngest Shepherd. Like all her siblings she is on her way to becoming an extraordinary surgeon but being the youngest didn't hol...
1.6M 41.1K 70
𝐇𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐒 𝐒𝐎 𝐆𝐎𝐎𝐃 | grey's anatomy 𝐉𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 when their love hurts so good because it's complicated. 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐢𝐱 - �...
1.5K 68 6
Hannah's Surgical Residency wasn't exactly going picture perfect like she had imagined it would. After losing her childhood best friend in a tragic a...