The light behind a broken mir...

By YellowBandito

Bailie Patrick has always felt like the black sheep. Of her family, her friends and her school. They're all h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2

Chapter 3

5 0 0
By YellowBandito

                                                                  Bailie Patricks P.O.V 

I wake up on Saturday morning, sunlight streaming in through my window.  I roll over and grab my phone checking my notifications.  I quickly scroll through Instagram and briskly look at Snapchat before I get through my messages. 2 from Britt and 7 from Sabrina and one from an unknown number. I roll back onto my bed and stare at my phone debating if I should read them. The temptation gives in and I open Sabrina's first.

10 P.M Hey Bailie, do you really know want to go to the party?

10:05 P.M I mean if you really don't want to go you don't have to.

10:06 P.M But it would be fun!

11 P.M Ooo Guess what! 

11:04 P.M Connor Smith thinks your cute

11: 05 P.M You know the cute boy in your English who's new

11: 09 P.M He likes you and is probably going to ask you out!

I groan and rub my eyes before I go on to Britt's messages. 

10:03 P.M So I hope that the little idea of you not going to the party has left. 

11:14 Wow. You've somehow managed to score someone cute! Congrats Bai Bai. How did you manage?

I breathe in and groan. Britt's acting like some rude step-mother in some teen Disney movie. Quickly I open the message from the unknown number, a tiny sliver of me hoping that it's the girl from yesterday. My hopes are quickly crushed as I realize it's not her.

11:20 P.M Hi Bailie I hope this doesn't seem weird. It's Connor, umm I'm in your English class and I was wondering if you would like to go get coffee some time. 

Hey Connor.

I quickly delete that and look around my room and think of what Britt and the rest of our friends would think if I turn him down. 

Hey Connor

I start again.

I would love to go out for coffee but just as friends. I don't know if Britt or Sabrina told you but I'm not looking for anyone.

He responds immediately

Of course, I totally understand. So it's a date!

As friends, as friends.

This Saturday at the local coffee house around 10?

I respond

Of course, see you then!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After taking a shower I slip into mom jeans and a tight blacktop. I throw on a gray sweater and pull my simple brown hair into a ponytail. Britt would say I look like a teen mom, the rest of our friends would be quick to agree. 

I take on more look at myself before I grab my car keys and yell goodbye to the probably empty house. Hoping in my car I do another double-check and groan realizing I forgot to put on my makeup. I check the time and realize that I'm already going to be late so I pull out of the driveway and make my way to the Local Coffee House (it's actual name) 

I pull into the parking lot and tear out of the car, 10 minutes late. I open the coffee shop door and look around quickly realizing I have no idea what Connor looks like. All I know is that he's meduimish height with brown hair, basically half the boys in here.  After a couple of awkward minutes, I hear my name coming from the left of me. I pivot to see a boy with a slightly feminine face and curly brown hair. He has lime green eyes and is wearing a band shirt and a jeans jacket over it. 

I hurry over and sit down across from him and set my bag down.

"Hi" He smiles, his voice soft and light

I have to admit, if I were into dudes he seems like one I would be into.

"Hi" I smile "thanks for like inviting me here."

" Of course. I hope this is a good first Platonic date" He stresses the word platonic.

I smile "Same here"

Connor smiles and I feel the table wobble slightly at his bouncing knee. 

"Did you order yet?" I ask looking over at the place where you order.

He shakes his head "I was waiting for you"

I smile "Well tell me what you want and I'll order"

Quickly Connor tells me and I head over to the counter and wait in line. Not that long mind you because I'm soon being asked what I want to order. 

"Umm one Mocha with whip cream and caramel drizzle, one latte and two chocolate chip brownies warmed up please." The lady nods as she takes my order and rings it up.

"That will be 16.45 please." I hand her 17 dollars and tell her to keep the change.

She smiles and tells me someone will bring it to our table when it's ready. Thanking her, I turn and head back to sit with Connor.

"So when did you move here?" I ask hoping it's not a sensitive subject.

" Just after school started." he smiled 

"Well, I'm glad you did Connor smith. I think we're gonna be good friends"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About an hour later Connor and I have decided to walk around downtown and are talking each others ears off. We walk past stores and people some of who I know and some who look familiar. Connor looks in almost every store window that we pace, but he stops at a vintage music store and looks down at the bottom right part of the window. I stop to see what he's staring at and my eye catches a small rainbow flag sticker. A rainbow flag sticker that means a store is a safe place for LGBTQ+ people. My breath catches in my throat as I prepare for what Connor is about to say.

"You know what-" 

Here it comes

"I just love that they have these on stores."

My eyes widen, okay that is not what I thought he was going to say.

"W..what?" I ask.

"You know it just reassures people that like more people are accepting it I guess. I can't really explain why whenever I see one it makes me happy. It probably cause like I'm bi and t-" He stops as he sees my face and I can tell he regrets accidentally outing himself to me.

"You like guys?" I ask and mentally groan. Great choice of words Bailie great choice of words.

"Shit. You know what I gotta go." He turns around and starts walking in the direction of which we just came.

It takes a second for my mind to catch up and I run after him.

"Connor wait." I pant "wait"

He stops.

"Wait. " I stop next to him and take a shaky breath.

Connor looks at me expectantly like he's waiting got some kind of apology.

"I didn't mean to say it like that I'm sorry. Umm, I think it's really cool that you like guys and girls."

Connor rolls his eyes. "That's what everyone says, and then they make a point to stay at least a couple of feet away from me. "

 "No, really I think it's cool. " I take a breath "I'm gay"

I can't believe i just said that I think and look down at the ground.

"So that's why you said you aren't looking for anybody to date, let me guess you haven't come out to your friends yet?" 

"And my parents" I grin my lips turning into a smile.

"Well I'm honored, and while we are on the subject of coming out," He takes a breath. "I'm transgender, born physically female but in the process of transitioning into the male gender"

I nod my head " Cool. I'm sorry I don't know what else to say." 

Connor smiles. "Cool's fine"

And just like that, I feel a weight lift off my chest and I smile. I genuinely happy smile and hug Connor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

939K 21.4K 48
Luciana Roman was blamed for her mother's death at the age of four by her family. She was called a murderer until she was shipped onto a plane for Ne...
35.2K 1.1K 22
[ONGOING 🔞] #8 insanity :- Wed, May 15, 2024. #2 yanderefanfic :- Sat, May 18, 2024. After y/n became an orphan, she had to do everything by herself...
4.4M 244K 188
Now available in paperback on Amazon! Though the last chapter is read that doesn't mean the story is over. One shots for A Secret Service including...
156K 2.7K 47
just read