Beneath This Lonely Ground [...

By absterak

"We shouldn't dig here." "Why...not?" "Because what's buried here is not what you think it is." • • • • • • •... More

author's note
i. what she knew
iii. what she found
iv. what comes next
v. what she proved
vi. as she dreams
vii. what she lost
viii. what she encountered
ix. as she waits
x. who she became
xi. when she fell
xii. when she realized
xiii. where they stand
epilogue

ii. when they arrived

42 15 1
By absterak

three hours earlier

The Alaskan wilderness was a stark contrast to the barren desert she was accustomed to. Compared to the relative coolness of the Alaskan spring, Taylor didn't know how she'd survived years of digging in the dry heat of the Middle East. The crisp air of the Last Frontier was invigorating.

She stepped over the edge of the skiff and onto the rocky shore, relief sweeping through her at the security of land beneath her feet. The pebbled beach led into a patch of tall, prickly-looking, yellowing grass, and then eventually into thick woods. Taylor tilted her head back and admired the mountain rising up over spindly spruce trees.

"Hey, Taylor! Taylor!"

She looked for the source of the noise, a smile breaking out on her face at the sight of her thirty-something-year-old cousin. She could see Sierra's copper red hair even from a distance. Sierra drew nearer, and Taylor hurried to meet the woman, trying to find her footing on the slippery rocks.

"Sierra!" She collided with her cousin, both of them laughing.

"Oh, it's good to see you!" Sierra embraced her tightly, then pulled back, taking Taylor in with a critical eye.

"Acceptable?" Taylor asked, raising her eyebrows. "I came prepared. Even brought 'bug dope,' or whatever you call it." She'd also brought a sturdy jacket and hiking boots to go with her usual long-sleeved t-shirt and jeans. Sierra had warned her the weather would be very different than what she was used to. "No shorts," she'd said, "or the mosquitos will eat you alive."

"Looks good," Sierra said, nodding in approval. "You look good, girl! It's been—what—two years? I haven't seen you in forever."

"I know. I've been too busy discovering Atlantis."

"Ha-ha." Sierra looped her arms in Taylor's, and they began walking toward the boat so they could grab the rest of the gear. "I'm thrilled you came."

"Well, I couldn't pass up the chance to see my favorite cousin, now, could I? Even if I had to travel halfway around the world to do so."

"Honestly, I'm surprised you came at all." Sierra sobered, her smile fading. "Considering what happened with Riyad."

Taylor's mood dampened a bit. "It's been two years, Sierra," she said softly. "I have to move on."

Sierra rubbed Taylor's arm comfortingly, then peered over her shoulder. "Did you bring Elias with you?"

"I did." She could see Elias's lanky frame in the distance. He'd been reluctant to come; Sierra and a group of her college students were studying an archeological site on the island and had invited Taylor to join them. Being under Taylor's guardianship, Elias was extended the invitation as well.

Elias approached, a backpack slung over each shoulder and sleeping bags and other gear in his hands. He accepted a hug and a kiss on the cheek from Sierra, enduring her fussing and comments on how he was all grown up now. He caught Taylor's eye over Sierra's shoulder and made a face; Taylor held back a smile.

Finally Sierra released him and took some of the gear from him, then turned to Taylor. "Let's get you guys set up at camp, and then I can show you what we're working on."

"Sounds good," Taylor said, and Elias nodded.

"You're going to love it here, Elias," Sierra promised. "It's beautiful, and there's lots of places to explore."

Taylor studied the boy and could tell he wasn't convinced. Alaska... Well, Alaska—specifically the remote islands of Alaska—held memories and emotions both of them didn't care to experience again. It was a wonder they'd actually agreed to come. Taylor wasn't quite sure why she'd said yes to Sierra's invitation. Perhaps it was the need for closure, or a way to feel closer to Riyad.

Taylor tried not to think about him, tried not to imagine his smile or his laugh or his teasing, and instead focused on the ground beneath her feet. Yes, she could do that. The secrets buried beneath layers of rock and dirt revealed themselves to her freely if she chose to receive them. It was a knowledge, an intuition and a feeling deep inside her chest. Somehow she knew what was there. Every speck of dirt, every tiny pebble. She'd become quite adept at blocking all the little things out, enabling her to quickly detect larger things like bones or shards of pottery or metals. The ability had made her career as an archeologist and explorer.

Sierra led them up the beach and through a shallow pass, where they waded through knee-high grass to eventually reach a path leading into the forest. "It's a bit of a trek," Sierra said, taking a pause, "but it's pretty nice. The scenery here is gorgeous, and best of all, it's untouched. All these woods and mountains and rivers and waterfalls—most of them have never come into contact with humans."

Sierra glanced over at Elias, who was listening silently. He hadn't said a word since the beach, being a good sport and hiking along, even offering to carry some of Taylor's gear. He'd always been protective of her, even though she wasn't his mother, and that concern for her welfare had only increased after Riyad's disappearance.

They headed up a hill, trees rising up all around them, branches sticking out and snagging their clothes. Taylor moved to the side to avoid a patch of devil's club in the path. The plant's tiny thorns on the underside of the leaves would be painful if they came into contact with bare skin, not to mention the longer thorns adorning the thick stems.

Her calves were burning despite the endurance she'd built up over the years, and she looked back to check on Elias. "You good?" she asked, trying to read the expression on his face.

He looked up. "What? Yeah."

"Eli, I know this is hard for you," she said, trying to gauge his response and failing. "It's tough for both of us. But I just want you to know that I'm glad you decided to come. I think your dad would have wanted you to."

Elias blinked a couple times, looking away. "Yeah," he said, swallowing. "He would have."

"This'll only be for a couple of weeks, okay? It'll go by fast."

Elias nodded, and Taylor glanced back up the path. Sierra had gotten a ways ahead and was waiting for them on the next little hill.

"We can talk more later," she said, and judging by Elias's expression, he wasn't looking forward to it. Taylor tilted her head toward the path. "We gotta catch up. Can't keep Aunt Sierra waiting."

• • •

When they arrived at the camp—a clearing with a few tents set up and a fire pit in the center—they were greeted by an enthusiastic college student bounding in, announcing that he and the others had found something.

Sierra let one of the bags slide off her shoulder and onto the ground, the image of calm. "What did you find, Derek?"

Derek's voice vibrated with excitement. "A lean-to—way back in the woods. I think someone lived there."

"Pretty sure that's what shelters are for." Sierra gestured to Taylor. "Derek, I'd like you to meet my cousin, Taylor Sloan."

Derek stuck out a hand. He looked in his very early twenties, just out of his teenage years, and possessed an easy-going demeanor that matched his friendly smile. "Nice to meet you, Dr. Sloan. I've read a lot about your discoveries. I'm a big fan."

A small, reluctant smile pulled at her mouth, and she did he polite thing and thanked him. She was relatively famous in the archeological world for all the places she'd found or assisted in finding. She tried to keep her skills quiet, having never told anyone about them but a select few, but rumors still ran rampant about her mysterious ability to know exactly what was buried in the ground.

Her attention was drawn back to the conversation as Sierra rattled off some comment about Taylor's work and then introduced Elias.

"Hey, man. Nice to meet you." Derek shook Elias's hand, his manner open and curious. "Are you one of Doctor Sloan's students?"

"No. I'm still in high school," Elias said, shaking his head. "I'm just here with Taylor. She's my guardian."

"Oh, cool." Derek glanced from Elias to Taylor. "Well, you must be awfully lucky to live with an archeologist. Especially one as well-known as Taylor Sloan. I'd kill to be able to learn her secrets."

"Derek, where did you say the others were?" Sierra asked, pulling the conversation back to the previous subject.

Derek pushed a hand through his dark blond hair, his eyes lighting as he recalled the reason for his return to camp. "Back at the lean-to."

"Derek, are you sure there isn't someone living in this shelter right now?"

He paused, his shoulders lifting in a shrug. "It looked abandoned. And we're supposed to be the only ones on the island, right?"

Sierra let out an exasperated sigh. "Hold on while I get these guys settled." She showed them where they'd be staying; Elias would share a tent with the other male students and Taylor would bunk with Sierra. Taylor dropped her bags on the cot already set up across from her cousins, casting a quick glance around the small structure. Consisting of canvas stretched over a frame and pinned down at the edges, the tent was actually tall enough to stand up fully. Taylor noted the only slightly warmer air inside and was glad she'd brought a heavy-duty sleeping bag. Hearing voices from outside, she left the tent and joined the others.

Sierra placed her hands on her hips and looked expectantly at Taylor and Elias. "Well? Shall we go see this shelter Derek and the others found?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 1.5K 30
#girlswhotravel #lifegoals Recently dumped and going nowhere, Jennie Jamieson decides it's finally time to listen to all those inspirational Instagra...
279 77 16
[Open Novella Contest 2021 Shortlist] It started with the northern lights. In the winter of 2022 physicist Aeslir Bekke disappears from the tiny vill...
17.7K 2.3K 24
|WATTYS 2022 WINNER - HORROR| Shawn, a convicted criminal, never thought she'd see the sun again, let alone call another star system her home. When s...
2.3K 509 16
Sandrine is reluctant to take the job as a ghost hunter, despite her ancestral gift. And when she meets her boss and future partners, every fibre of...