The Abiding Force: A Knight o...

By Judge_Fredd

The Jedi are no more, the First Galactic Empire long fallen and the Sith long forgotten. Rising from the dark... More

1: A "Chance" Meeting
2: Gifts
3: Coup
4: Growing Pain
6: Alone Together
7: Victory
8: First Flight
9: Knights Errant
10: Infiltration
11: Worthy Adversaries
12: Homecoming & Departure
13: Dialogue
14: Risk & Revelation
15
16
17
18
19
20
21

5: Matchmaker

34 6 1
By Judge_Fredd

Val's fingers tapped nervously against the bench as he waited for the bout to begin. Koll had arrived early to prepare, having not fought since his morning duel with Val. He stretched and familiarized himself with the training blade provided to him. Val had treated him lightly in their bout and so his friend was unharmed and well rested at the least.

Val had not seen Chiko since the incident that morning. Her handlers must have tightened the leash to prevent further incidents. He'd wanted to distance himself from Koll, to ensure that Chiko would not repeat the ploy she'd attempted earlier. It had been Koll who had dissuaded him, stating correctly that she had already seen them together.

She arrived suddenly, storming into the room without fanfare, training sword already in hand. The official waved her to her respective starting position. Koll moved to his own, bowing respectfully to his opponent. Chiko merely flourished her sword, her pale face set in a sneer of contempt. Koll was unfazed by this, adopting his fighting stance. Chiko mirrored him, setting herself into a solid July opener. Val realized immediately that something was wrong.

Chiko spared him a glance as the official raised his hand to signal the start. A cold smile crossed her face as his own twisted with rage. She wasn't just going to beat Koll, she was going to humiliate and break him.

Her work began immediately and violently. Koll surged forward, pressing the offensive in an attempt to gain advantage. He succeeded partially, catching Chiko off-guard in mid leap. Val had to appreciate how quickly she adapted to the unexpected aggression. What would have been a high top to bottom slash was abandoned in favor of a kick that landed squarely in Koll's chest, driving him back and down long enough for her to recover.

Again Koll pushed forward, hoping to leverage the marginal brute strength advantage he held. It was the right action, but futile. Chiko changed tact again, using Koll's momentum against him. She crouched, targeting Koll's knees while simultaneously parrying with her sword. As he crashed into her, she sprang upward, her entire strength harnessed in the maneuver. The results were spectacular and elicited a gasp from the crowd now watching the bout.

Koll landed hard, having spun entirely around in an ungraceful cartwheel. He came down head first, barely managing to get an arm out to protect his head as he did so. It was poorly performed, though Val could not blame him for it. As he struggled to stand the arm hung limply at his side. His sword arm was unharmed but Val could tell that the fight was over. Chiko, it seemed, did not share that sentiment. Koll managed to block the first strike but the second upward slash caught him on the wrist. As the blade fell all too slowly to the floor Chiko unleashed a violent barrage of blows on her undefended opponent. Val could only watch as Koll was reduced to a bloody and battered heap before the official could intervene.

Koll was conscious, wheezing terribly and seemingly in immense pain. Chiko has withdrawn to her corner, the official standing between her and her ruined opponent. A medical team was shouldering its way through the crowd toward... A gasp went up, causing Val to return his attention to the room.

Koll was attempting to stand, his sword remaining on the floor where it had fallen. He looked directly at Chiko, mouthing something inaudible to Val, then turning and limping toward the exit. Whatever he had said, it had an immediate effect on its target. Chiko screamed with rage, leaping over the official in her pursuit of Koll. Something flashed within Val's mind, a sudden sense of impending danger. He reacted without thinking, his hand moving before his mind had caught up.

Chiko flew back as an unseen hand met her mid-leap. She rolled with it, attempting to land on her feet but unable to fully recover with her arrested momentum. Instead, she struck awkwardly and tumbled, landing in a heap at the far side of the room. The two guards entered, drawing stun sticks more for intimidation than to actually quell her. Chiko stood, seeing the approaching guards. With a motion like an exaggerated two-handed clap, the two guards were suddenly crushed together by an unseen force. With another wave of her hand, the official himself was launched violently into the transparisteel. Nothing stood between Chiko and her prey.

Val ran, pushing the now panicking members of the crowd aside as he did so. He reached the doorway just as Chiko was beginning her attack on Koll, who stood dumbstruck just in front of the door. Val reached out, pulling Koll's training sword to him as he leapt in front of his friend, simultaneously force-pushing him through the doorway to relative safety. As she descended upon him Val saw the satisfied smile on her face and knew that he had done exactly what she had wanted. 'So be it,' he thought as she reached him.

The metallic skkrrriiiing of their weapon's first clash revealed her ploy. Sparks danced across the padded floor as Val danced back, trying to gain distance and time. Her blade had a hidden edge, he cursed the incompetent official whom had failed to inspect her equipment as she surged toward him. He could defend himself, but could do no true damage to her with his own weapon. It was not ideal, but the training sword was not his only option.

She rained blows upon him, her stamina seemingly inexhaustible. There was nothing left but to defend himself. She chased him across the ring, seconds dragging like years as he waited for an opening. He strained against the unending barrage, his eyes locked with her own, the madness in the latter plainly evident. Her aura was different than before, in their last battle she had been cold fury, a void at the center of which was an endless hunger for violence. Now she was all rage, honed to a fine edge and pointed directly toward him.

He stood even with her, the long months of intense training having put him at the peak of conditioning. Her own training was not lacking, however, in fact it was clear she had advanced greatly in her skill. The flaws Val had counted on exploiting were slow to reveal themselves. Her maneuvers were robust and always perfectly executed. She didn't over extend and was far too keen to allow him to maneuver her into a favorable position. Without the ability to mount an offense with his own blade, Val was forced to turn to his second option.

The first attempt to catch her was repulsed. She had anticipated him, evidently remembering their previous encounter. The invisible hand that grasped at her throat was pushed away just before finding purchase. She retreated momentarily, the realization of how close he had gotten evident on her features. Val smiled knowingly, attempting to guide her rage into a favorable state for his plan. She did not disappoint, immediately closing to attack, her eyes already imagining the bloody ruin she would reduce him to. The viciousness of her first cut nearly drove him to the floor, the vertical slash sent a shock through him that caused his teeth to chatter and heart to skip a beat. She was drawing on her rage, spiraling deeper into the battle fury that her teachers had cultivated so carefully.

Val wanted to feed that anger, to distract her and buy another shot at her. He slapped her once with the flat of his blade across the arm. If it had been his saber it would have been glancing and painful, but was merely a taunt with his training blade. Chiko didn't react how he expected, the strike was stunning to her. She took a step back looking to the spot for an instant as if it was on fire. The look she gave him after recovering from the shock was like nothing Val had seen before. It was panic, rage and also something else, something primal and terrible.

Her sword lashed out suddenly, coming up just short of his neck as he fell backwards into an evasive roll. He tossed his own blade underhand, aiming for her head but knowing it would not connect. She deflected the spinning weapon with a flick of the wrist and in that moment he had her. The sword dropped from her hand, clattering to the mat as she rose from the ground. Val rose slowly, both hands raised, miming the invisible hands that squeezed and lifted his opponent. Her eyes grew frantic as he fought to maintain control, she mouthed curses and threats but could not give them voice. Then her expression changed and Val knew he'd made a mistake.

The sword sailed toward him from the mat. There wasn't enough time to stop it, not enough time to evade it, but there was enough time to finish what he'd come to do. Fair trade, he thought as he committed himself to the deed. An overwhelming force struck him, sending him staggering back, tumbling into the wall behind. The sword struck tip-first into the wall next to him, sinking nearly a foot into the durasteel. Chiko was gasping, her eyes full of hatred as she stared at Korta, who stood at the entranceway, his expression furious.

He wasn't looking at Val, he wouldn't have time to stop him. Val raised his hand, drawing the sword free of the wall with a scream of pain as he relied on the pure power of the force. It came loose, shooting across the room at barely-perceptible speed toward his target. Chiko saw it, but was far too late to change her fate. Val knew that there would be hell to pay, that he may even be executed for the act. 'So be it ', he thought, as his heart hammered and the moment marched toward it's inevitable conclusion.

Korta intervened, striking the blade down in mid-flight mere nano-seconds before it would have struck Chiko through. He was a blur, faster than Chiko, faster than anything Val had ever seen. It was as if he had taken one long instantaneous step from the doorway to Chiko's side. The golden blade of his lightsaber was still for a moment as Korta looked from Chiko to Val, his face set in a stern look of disappointment and regret. Val felt as though he'd been kicked, the wise eyes that had seen so much hope in him stared through him.

"Arrest them both." Korta said with a neutral tone Val didn't recognize. Chiko put up a fight as they descended upon her; if not for the rigors of her previous battle, she may have stood a chance. Val merely stared back at Korta as his mentor deactivated the weapon in his hand. Eventually Korta looked away and stalked from the room. Val was not ashamed of what he had done, or so he told himself. He had done it for the best reasons, there was no doubting that. Koll was waiting near the door, a medical droid tending to his arm as he stood. He did not need to thank him, they didn't need to say anything. Val merely nodded to him and Koll returned the gesture. Then they led him away and for a moment Val was uncertain what the future held.

Zeya wasn't crying, she was beyond that now, her eyes still red from the long day's work. His father had demanded many things, as was his right as governor. Korta had taken the verbal lashing with equanimity, his face set in that same neutral expression which had adorned it at the moment he'd saved Chiko. Val felt sick thinking of it, that same kick-in-the-gut burn that he'd been unable to soothe since his failure. Even the news of his selection had not broken that horrible feeling, though it had stunned him thoroughly.

Val had been surprised when his father explained it to him. The Knight council had taken his actions into account, both righteous and otherwise, finding him worthy of further training. He had fought against the odds and overcome them. Skill, bravery and nobility, what more could they ask of a knight? Val remembered the look on Korta's face, the disappointment and confusion. There was something he was missing, something he did not yet understand.

The shuttle approached slowly, giving Val, Zeya, Koll and the rest of the household enough time to say goodbye. Val had been preparing for this day for nearly a year, but the circumstances could have been better. Zeya managed a smile as she released him from the vice-like hug she'd had him in. Val returned a smile, putting on a brave face for her one last time. "I'll contact you as soon as I can Zey, keep at your training." He tussled her hair before turning toward the oncoming shuttle.

As it came in for its final approach, his father stepped to his side. Val turned to him, his smile fading as he realized that it was time. "I'll make you proud father." Val said, his voice shaking as he restrained the pain in his voice. Tae looked to his son, a surprised look on his face. He looked for a moment before turning to Val and embracing him. "I always have been." He said, his voice calm and clear. Val looked into his father's face, seeing that he meant it.

The shuttle touched down gracefully, its landing gear and ramp extending as its door opened to reveal Korta. He was smiling again, though Val sensed an underlying darkness. It was not how he had imagined this moment. Korta moved carefully down the ramp, stopping just before the pair. Tae nodded to the Knight, a slim smile returning to his face, before turning to Val. A thought seemed to manifest on his face as he did so, "Make yourself proud... of who you are." he said almost distantly. Val considered that for a moment, then nodded, "I will dad."

Tae smiled widely, but there was a sadness in that smile. He laid his hand on his son's shoulder a final time, then moved away. Korta filled that space, gesturing up toward the waiting doorway. "After you apprentice Kidann." He said, some pride in that statement. Val spared a final look back to his family and home, feeling as though he would never see it again. Zeya put on her best attempt at a smile, but Val could hardly look at her. She was losing her big brother again, even if it was only for a short while. They'd grown close since Ben's death.

"You'll be back Val." Korta said with a reassuring smile, "I've foreseen it." he added. Val looked at the man, noticing some of what he had lost returning. They would return to where they had been, exceed that bond and grow to be great friends. Val took the first hard step up the ramp, the rest were not so excruciating. He didn't dare turn back, fighting with all he had not to cry. He waited just inside the door, leaning against it for strength. Korta had lingered behind for a moment, it seemed. Val straightened himself as his master strode through the door, a hand keying it closed as he did so.

The change in Korta was instantaneous. One moment he was the reassuring mentor and the next the darkness had settled over him. "Follow me initiate." he said to Val, moving deeper into the shuttle. It was one of the larger Imperial variants, retrofitted for ambassadorial work. Val moved behind his master, through the cramped corridors and into the cockpit. They were already breaking through the outer atmosphere toward their destination. That destination became immediately apparent as the sleek and vicious lines of a Star Destroyer came into view. Val's eyes widened as the Triumphant came into closer view.

"It is..." Val didn't have the words to describe what Triumphant was. The ship was one of three remaining in its class. The largest and most powerful ships the Empire had built, a relic of the wars of conquest that had built an Empire from the core to the far reaches of the mid-rim. Kuat and Raeth had collaborated in their design, the hull was distinctly Kuatite, the weaponry, outer lines and shielding were the contribution of Raeth. It was deceptively beautiful, retaining the angular efficiency of Kuatite while incorporating the aesthetic elegance of Raeth.

"She is exactly what we needed her to be." Korta said dismissively. "Something I hope we will never need again." he said, his eyes affixed to the ship, remembering the wars. Val knew Korta had served during the final conquest, but hadn't been bold enough to question him about it. The look in his eyes quelled further interest in the subject. They approached the hangar, a fighter escort entering ahead of them. Val could see a group of Knights, clad in the gold and white combat armor Korta never wore, waiting on the deck.

Korta turned to him, inclining his head toward the door behind Val. Val moved, retracing his steps back toward the ramp doorway. He was growing increasingly nervous, wondering what awaited him down there with those who had gone through the process ahead of him. Korta arrived as they touched the deck, the shuttle groaning slightly as the landing gear locked into place. Val took a deep breath, a sudden feeling of panic descending upon him. He looked to Korta, but the Knight was staring straight ahead, waiting for the door to open on the pilot's command.

When it did, Korta slipped quickly through, not waiting for his apprentice. The formation of Knights straightened as he approached, respect for the only true war-forged Knight among them. Val followed, moving more carefully than he usually would to avoid stumbling on his first interaction with his peers. Korta reached the bottom of the ramp, joining the others and sharing a few smiles and handshakes. Val smiled at that, hoping to earn that kind of greeting some day. He stopped respectfully at the end of the ramp and waited.

Eventually the cordialities ceased and Korta's attention turned back toward his student. "Val these are your brothers and sisters in arms. They will assist me in your training, give them respect and you will earn theirs." he said plainly, then turned toward one of them. "How long?" he asked the man. "Coming in now." the modulated voice said through the mask of the helmet. Val turned to see another oncoming shuttle. Val turned to Korta in confusion. "My other student." He said calmly, "The council selected three this year." Korta said with a smile of pride. "The other will remain with Marshall Vo for her training." Korta explained.

Two students, Val mused. That was abnormal and spoke to the respect afforded Korta by the council. As the shuttle touched down Val put on his most welcoming smile. The ramp descended and the door opened, revealing an armored figure, another Knight in their combat armor. As the knight stepped out of the way, Val's eyes locked with Chiko's.

His smile died as he stared incredulously into the soulless void before him. He drew the saber from his belt and was moving before his mind screamed with sudden agony. Lightning flared around him as he collapsed to the cold floor below. It ceased as quickly as it had come, and left Val writhing in pain as his body burned from its passing. He rolled slowly to see Korta staring down at him, his hand still sparking from the electricity he had conjured. Val's lightsaber drifted leisurely into Korta's hand.

"I have tried to break you of this, to use words to teach this lesson." Korta said, looking down at him with scorn. "Now I will ensure that the lesson is never forgotten." Val saw Chiko approach, then watched as Korta erased the victorious smirk from her face. She fell a few paces from him, screaming with pain. "I will cure you both." Val was overcome as the lightning resumed, his eyes falling on Chiko, already unconscious. In the moment before he fell from consciousness, Val forgot how much he hated her because in that terrible moment, they shared a new and terrifying enemy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

904 10 8
The Clone wars progress around the galaxy, and with the Galactic Republic losing supporters, the Jedi Order set their eyes on an ancient cult of an a...
528 2 27
In this story, Taloh travels to the planet Kesh to find the Sith Apprentice Vestara Khai and the Lost Tribe. After his mission was complete Taloh, Ve...
6.9K 576 36
I don't have a huge amount of time to write *REYLO SMUT/ SEX SCENES-MATURE CONTENT* [THIS BOOK WILL BE FINISHED NO LATER THAN 7/31/21] This will be...
547 7 23
Millennia before the rise of the Galactic Empire, The Jedi Civil War ravaged the galaxy. Under the command of Darth Revan and Darth Malak, the Sith E...