The Walkers: The Return

By annamorphos

It's been 13 years since Bella sacrificed herself and became a Walker-the vampire's only predator. With only... More

Chapter One
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 14

388 24 11
By annamorphos

Chapter 14

Immigrant Song – (Covered by) Karen O, Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

Even for humans, there are moments where time stalls, short-circuits in a way. The engine of the universe hiccups, causing rifts in the continuum. Time passes by slowly, each second feeling like a lifetime. This was one of those moments. My brother's lifeless corpse lay at my feet, and in my grief, I screamed as loud as I could into the night sky. I was vaguely aware of the leeches arguing around me. I recognized Carlisle's voice as it angrily shouted at the others, but I couldn't be bothered to listen. All I could do was look at my beloved brother, dead, and everything else melted away.

"We didn't do this," Jasper said, and I turned to find him standing beside Carlisle. "I swear to you. He had already been attacked by the time we found him. We just brought him as leverage."

I was up on my feet before I could truly comprehend my emotions. The pain coursing through me controlled my actions; I was just a passenger. As Carlisle attempted to diffuse the situation, I lost control and lashed out, kicking Jasper in his sternum and sending him flying back. I tried to do the same to Carlisle, but he dodged my attack, sweeping my leg and flattening me on my back.

"Wait, Bella," Carlisle said, but he was cut off as my brothers and sister rushed forward and threw him off me. He managed to twist in the air and land on his feet. When he landed, he quickly added, "They did not do this. If they did, their eyes would be red. Look at them, their eyes are—"

Edward stepped forward, cutting Carlisle off and getting annoyingly close to me. "Wait. It was you? Why would you—"

"Any closer, and I'll strangle you with your own intestines," I said between my teeth.

"Edward, stop it." Carlisle grabbed his arm and jerked him back, shoving him into the willing arms of the other leeches. As Edward protested, Carlisle turned back, saying, "You'll only make things worse. Do as I say!"

Two of the female leeches held Edward back as Carlisle returned his attention to me. As he took a step closer, I heard an audible growl form behind, and I turned to find Rix flanking me. He moved like liquid across a flat surface, sliding gracefully and powerfully, placing himself between Carlisle and me, his shoulders rising and falling as his breathing accelerated.

"You will speak to me," Rix said, his even tone barely masking his fury.

Carlisle nodded, and in a surprising turn, he bent forward and perfectly mimicked the bow the Walkers used to greet a superior. Glancing over at Rix, I noted that he was significantly less impressed by the action. In fact, he seemed to grow angrier.

"Do not insult me," Rix said as Carlisle returned to his upright position. "You know nothing of our ways. So your gestures, your humility, it means nothing."

"I understand," Carlisle said. "Before we continue, please let me treat your brother. We are different species, but we have the same anatomy. I can help him."

I expected Rix to dismiss his assistance and call for an attack; however, as seconds slipped by, my older brother merely nodded and permitted Carlisle to see Tobin. Collin, Una, and I stood back as Carlisle flipped Tobin on his side and inspected his wound.

"He's alive, but barely," Carlisle said, leaning back and looking at Rix. "Whoever attacked him, they almost bled him dry. Is that common practice here?"

"Not that we have seen," Collin said.

Carlisle sat back after one last look, saying, "The good news is that he wasn't bitten. His wound is jagged and torn, like it was ripped open by hand. It means he won't turn into a vampire."

"Small favors," Una said softly.

We refused to think of what would happen if he had been bitten. While Nora had been shown leniency, I wasn't sure if Shiloh would permit it again. Also, Tobin's inherent hatred for leeches would require us to end his suffering.

"So your prescription is venom?" Rix said, chuckling humorlessly. "How convenient that we have so many donors present."

His coven took a step back while he remained motionless. After a few moments, he sighed and nodded. He started unbuttoning his shirt while saying, "That is fair. I think I should be enough. If not, then let one of the others find one from the city."

Rix was visibly startled and slightly disappointed, hoping for a fight. That being said, as he glanced down at our brother, he realized what was most important. "Very well then."

He knelt beside Tobin, placing his arm behind my brother's shoulders to prop him up. Realizing the difficult position Carlisle was in, I took a step forward and helped him hold Tobin. Carlisle smiled at me, to which I didn't respond. I wasn't doing it for his benefit. That being said, I couldn't shake the appreciation blooming in my chest as Carlisle sacrificed his venom for my brother.

"It will be more efficient if he uses an artery," Carlisle said, pointing to his neck. "Here, you hold his head and see if you can get him to bite."

I couldn't stop the words from leaving my lips. "Are you sure about this?"

Carlisle smiled and nodded, saying, "Yes. I have to do this."

With that, Carlisle ran his nails across his skin, leaving a trail of venom in its wake. At the same time, Tobin shuddered as the scent of fresh venom wafted over him. I couldn't fault him for that, as I had to force myself not to react the in the same manner. It didn't take much to persuade barely conscious Tobin to drink from Carlisle. I sat back and watched as my brother tightened his grip with each passing second. The venom flowed freely into his mouth, while Carlisle's posture started to wither.

Draining leeches while they were still conscious (as opposed to being decapitated) was an interesting event. Their skin starts to sag when they reach their half way point, and their irises widen, almost encompassing their entire eye. They start to shudder as they approach the last breath—or as Collin called it, the event horizon—there is no reviving them. Once their venom disappears, their skin cracks, and over the course of a week, they break down into dust. It's disconcerting to see, even for the Walkers. As I watched my brother devour Carlisle's venom, I noted the changes in the leech's body, and I felt myself growing concerned. However, as the color returned to Tobin's face, any concern I felt was swept under the rug.

After what felt like an eternity, Tobin let go and pushed Carlisle back. The vampire fell backward and hit the ground with a thud, his blank eyes staring into the sky. The skin on his neck was splintered here and there, and he was beyond pale—worse than a normal leech. He looked almost blue.

Tobin sat up and rubbed his head, saying "My head fucking hurts."

As he turned to look at me, I couldn't help myself. Overwhelmed by the realization that I almost lost him, I lurched forward and hugged him, squeezing him close and inhaling his scent. He smelled like Tobin. He smelled like home. However, as he pulled away and smiled at me in his usual cocky manner, I pulled my arm back and punched him in the face. The resounding crack made me feel better, and I walked away as he shook his head and wipers the blood off his mouth.

"Christ!" he said. "Seriously? What did I do?"

I whipped back around. "You almost died."

Before we could continue our back-and-forth, Rix whistled for us to fall in line, which we did quickly. The leeches were watching us, confused by our interaction. As Tobin ran his hand through my hair and jostled my head playfully, I noted Edward frown and glower at my brother. His behavior seemed to get more and more annoying with each passing minute. Meanwhile, Carlisle had recovered slightly, but he still looked weak from the venom loss. It would probably take him at least a weak to regain his full strength. That is, if we didn't kill him first.

"I'm happy to see it worked," Carlisle said, his voice significantly softer than it was before. "Your name is Tobin? How are you feeling?"

Tobin glanced at me, his brow knit in angry confusion, before saying, "My welfare is none of your concern."

Jasper took a step forward, angrily replying, "He saved your life. Perhaps you could show a little gratitude."

Tobin paused for a moment before answering, "No, I won't."

His answer visibly angered Jasper and the bigger leech. I had heard them use his name earlier but wasn't sure. What was it? He stepped forward and tried to look menacing, but his size did nothing to intimidate us. To be honest, it made me hungry because I knew how much venom flowed under his skin. My mouth started to water as I thought about it.

"It is true you have saved my brother," Rix said, nodding. "Consider this a mercy. Leave this city and do not return. If we see you after sunrise, we will kill you. Do you understand?"

Before Carlisle could agree or disagree, Edward broke free of the leeches holding him and crossed the distance separating us, saying, "Bella, I won't leave you here."

It was still amazing to see how fast Rix moved compared to the rest of us. Since he was being trained as a replacement for Shiloh, he conditioned himself in ways different than the rest of us. As a result, he was disturbingly fast. His hand wrapped around Edward's neck while the leech continued to speak, and with little effort, my brother hurled him far beyond his coven, sending him crashing into the grass beyond.

"I offer you a gift," Rix said, moving toward Carlisle, "and this is how it is received?"

"He does not speak for us," Carlisle said. "Please forgive him. He loves her. Surely, you can understand as much."

Rix quirked an eyebrow. "Unlikely. I try not to love what I eat."

Carlisle's reaction was amusingly disapproving. As someone who claimed to have once knew our species, his response confused me. Had he not been as intimately connected with the Walkers as he had claimed? Or maybe we were different than the elders. Tobin and Rix's temperaments were contagious. When they were present, it was difficult not to have too much fun at our meal's expense. I could easily see how it could be callous, I suppose.

"That being said," Rix continued. "I would be remiss in my protocol if I did not afford you the opportunity to leave. You have until sunrise, at which point, we will actively hunt you and your coven."

Carlisle nodded. "Understood. Thank you. Bella, it's a relief to see you in good hands. If you ever need anything, any of you, please feel free to find us."

We merely stared at him, no expression or emotion betraying our stoicism. After a few moments of silence, they retreated. Well, everyone except Edward who refused to follow.

"Edward," Carlisle said, and when the leech refused to move, Carlisle returned and grabbed his arm. "I will not tell you again. We must leave. She is not the Bella you knew and who she is now does not care to know you. You are putting us all in danger, now come with me."

Edward growled and said, "No. I've looked for you for years, Bella. I won't leave you just because you're a little different. I can't abandon you again."

I had grown tired of his childish, school yard antics, and I resolved to beat him senseless before hurling across the state line. Never had a leech aggravated me so much. Who the hell did he think he was? Did he not understand that I was where I was meant to be? Did he even care? I rolled up my sleeves, ready to tear him limb from limb if necessary, and squared my shoulders. He looked like he had a few hundred years on me, but I was still stronger. I pulled off my hooded sweater and threw it at Collin, revealing the top of my hunting ensemble.

"Dear Lord," Carlisle said quietly and tugged harder at Edward. "Please, Son. You do not know this species as I do."

I prepared for my first attack, a full-on frontal assault; however, before I could move, a long kulnig erupted from the surrounding area, stopping me in my tracks. IT was a long, drawn-out, single note cry, and yet, there was so much power in it. It was a voice I knew. It was someone I knew very well. Behind me, Rix started to laugh as he realized what I had.

"What is it?" Edward asked. "What's so funny?"

Rix stopped laughing and shook his head. "You should have accepted our generosity when you had the chance."

Without saying more, he pointed behind the leech coven to the street above the ditch. As they turned, Carlisle cursed in our language as Shiloh and Dex stared down at them.  

** Kulnig is a real thing. Check it out on Youtube **

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

205K 5.6K 25
Trust always end in pain. At least that's what Isabella swan, A vampire for over 150 years believes. Bella went through a lot in that time and is kin...
193K 5K 23
Edward Cullen's move to Forks was the last thing he wanted, and Forks was the last place he wanted to be. Once he meets the beautiful Bella Swan, Ed...
524 15 12
For 17 years Adeline has been in hiding. She is hiding from those who want her dead. She moves with her aunt to Forks, Washington, and all hell bre...
5.2K 140 40
Everlasting may not be looking like she's aging but now she's 18 and tottaly in love with Embry, but when he proposes will she be too shocked to answ...