Champion's Sword, Galar's Shi...

By TMWolf

Cassandra came to Galar running from a past she couldn't bring herself to face. Leon was running from his fa... More

01 - Encounter
02 - Warmth
03 - Fishing
04 - Talks
05 - Sword
06 - Fear
07 - Haven
08 - Vulnerable
09 - Heist
11 - Trials
12 - Plans
13 - Tribulations
14 - Rescue
15 - Reprieve
16 - Beloved (18+)
17 - Blood
18 - Aftermath Part I
19 - Aftermath II
20 - Reunions
Epilogue
Sequel

10 - Rose

1.3K 38 126
By TMWolf

I was lazy and just googles a serious face-Rose picture. Forgive meeee. The fluff in this one is worth it. Raihan is also worth it.

------------

Charizard brought them down in a courtyard of one of the castle-like buildings in Hammerlocke, which was, thankfully much warmer than over the mountains. It hadn't been freezing this time, and with a blizzard not brewing the flight had been quicker than before. Still, she was grateful to feel only slightly cool air as the Pokémon touched down. Cassandra breathed a sigh of relief as Leon helped her lean up. 

He grinned as impishly as ever at her, "Not a bad ride, huh? Perk of owning a Charizard."

"I still think I prefer a Taxi—no offense Charizard," she chuckled, patting the Pokémon that growled unhappily at her. The redhead looked back to their positioning and then Leon's face. "So, uh, how do you want me to slip off here?"

"Oh, hold on I'll—," he started, but just as he did—a click, like a shutter of a camera, went off. The two trainers' heads swung to find a Rotom just feet away. Further back was a face they both knew, and painted across the dark-skinned visage was the most shit-eating grin she'd ever seen. 

"Yo, Leon, when you called, I thought it was for an emergency—not to introduce me to your girlfriend!" the young man laughed, cyan eyes bright with mischievousness. Both Cassandra and Leon's cheeks went bright red.

"I'm not—."

"She's not—."

The young man just laughed more and walked right on over, holding out his hand, "I kid. Here, I'll help you down, 'not-girlfriend'."

"Raihan!" Leon growled, but his rival only snickered as Cassandra took his offer, and, with help from Leon for balance, slid off Charizard without making it too awkward. The purple-haired man followed in suit, and just as the Gym Leader reached to shake the redhead's hand, his rival's pokeballs flared to life. All at once his team emerged and pounced, making all kinds of a fuss. Rillaboom scooped the young man up into his arms, angry and crying at the same time as he smooshed his face into Leon's. His Haxorus like-wise hissed and growled unhappily, but still tugged on his shirt affectionately. His Aegislash looked mighty upset, tears in its eyes, and the same could be said for his Rhyperior and Dragapult, who slapped him with his claws lightly. Leon took it all in stride, laughing and hugging them all back as best he could while apologizing profusely. 

The other two watched, bemused, and finally shook hands.

"Leon gave it away, as I'm sure the press has, too, but I'm Raihan, the infamous Dragon Tamer, Galar's one and only strongest Gym Leader, and Leon's number one rival," he beamed, hands on hips with chest puffed up proudly.

She quirked a brow, "I'm Cassandra and that was a mouthful. I hope they don't call you humble, too."

"What can I say, love? When you know you're amazing, you know," he smirked, shrugging innocently. He paused to regard her, rubbing his chin with a thoughtful hum, "Leon said you were strong, but I don't remember you—have you beaten my gym?"

"She beat you a while ago—she has your badge to prove it. She probably just whipped you too quick for your pride to remember," Leon grinned, finally free of his team's attention, and enjoying Raihan's frown at the thought of his Pokémon falling so easily. "But, hey, don't be too down. She's a multi-League Champion, so it makes sense."

The dark-skinned man's eyes widened a bit, "Wait—you're not from here? Guess that explains the accent."

"Johto, actually. Been to Kanto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and now Galar. Grand Champion back home, and also Champions in Sinnoh and Hoenn both. Left Unova early, and didn't want the attention here," she explained with a small grin. "But as much as I love to compare our dic—I mean accomplishments right now, I think we need to get a move on. The 'bad guys' kind of know Leon's back in action."

"Shit, what'd you mess up, 'Lee?" Raihan huffed, shooting his comrade a glare. Rillaboom made a testy grunt, not liking the attitude. The Gym Leader just smirked.

"They got the drop on us with people disguised as room service. 'Cas almost didn't get away. We need to talk to Rose—now. We need to figure out their plan."

The Gym Leader hummed, "Well, Jenny's still been doing the paperwork, but I think I can convince her since it's an emergency. And if it's the ex-Champ and a multi one... Do you happen to have your Champion card—'Cas', was it? Cute."

"Aww, you're sweet, Raihan. Flattery will only get you everywhere, you know," she chuckled, though couldn't help noting Leon's glare—and the Gym Leader's smirk. She rolled her eyes as she pulled out her card from Johto that had been marked. She made a point to always have it on her for moments like these. "Here. It shows my status."

Leon added with a gesture, "It'll be fine—she's with me, anyways."

"'With you', huh?" Raihan purred and laughed when the purple-haired man shoved him.

"Shut-up."

"Children, please? We need to interrogate a man? And, really, all you need to do is show the League insignia there and that will do it."

"Well aren't you a special fancy one? Right then, follow me, and don't forget to return your Pokemon, mate. Jenny doesn't allow any out in the holding facility besides theirs," Raihan mused, turning on his heel to walk towards the stairwell just ahead. Cassandra waited for Leon, who rolled his eyes again as he recalled his now satisfied Pokemon. She grinned at him, quite enjoying the teasing. It was fun to see someone else get under his skin, although, truth be told, the girlfriend comments did make her heart flutter a bit.

Wishful thinking, of course, but that's what wishing was for.

The Gym Leader led them to the cobbled stone pathway down to the streets below, and she vaguely recalled her stop here to take Raihan on. It hadn't been the easiest battle; she'd worried more than once if she needed to pull Lapras back a few times, but they'd endured until the Dynamax'd Pokemon where they finished things off with strong fighting moves from Lucario. She hadn't stayed long to chat after, though—only traded a few cheeky words with the flirtatious man before moving on. She rued not getting a chance to know him now—he was actually pretty funny, and not bad looking.

But Leon was better.

Again, she shoved that thought back where it belonged.

"You gonna be alright?" Leon inquired as they walked towards the main castle, just past the draw bridge. She glanced up at him with a "hmm?". He motioned to his ears, "Screech effects can last a while on people. And that flight probably didn't help."

"It's not so bad right now. I'll probably just take a pill later if its still acting up. Fuck that Sneasel, though."

"Still can't believe you jumped."

"Well the door was out. Besides, I heard Charizard. I think."

"You thought?!" he hissed, and Raihan paused in whatever he was saying—and they were ignoring—and raised a brow. He rubbed his chin, looking between them.

"Lover's quarrel?"

"Raihan!" Leon rasped, and 'Cas only rolled her eyes to hide a blush. "She's not—."

"Your girlfriend, I know, I know. Still, y'all acting like it. Getting all cozy on Charizard like that. You've never let Sonia ride in your lap," he hummed playfully, turning around with an impish skip to his step.

Leon groaned, "I'm gonna kill him, I swear."

"I mean, truth be told... I didn't mind," she replied, as bluntly as she could, and walked on ahead, leaving the young man there in a short stupor. His face burned, and he had to work hard to hide it under his hat and hood as he raced after, all the while, wondering how in Arceus' name he was going to make it through this talk.

As it turned out, they had time to work on that.

Officer Jenny wasn't going to let them in right away. She needed their ID's—all of them—first and then went through a lengthy talk about Do's and Don'ts. She wasn't even supposed to be doing this, but because of the dire situation, she was going to allow it. Cassandra personally thought it also had to do with the sweet words and winks Raihan was giving her, and she pitied all the women whose hearts he'd ruined, because there was no way he hadn't—intentionally or not. A flirty, handsome guy was inevitably a heart breaker, and that smile was a killer.

Still, she liked Leon's smile more. His flirting was better, too.

And there she went again.

Thankfully, things were ready by then, and Officer Jenny had them come with her, first dropping off their Pokémon for safety, and then led all three of them down into a holding facility below, lit by fluorescent light and no windows. Guards with Growlithe were in the hallways, keeping a watchful eye on some of the worst criminals in Galar. In a weird way, she was glad only a few were murderers, the rest were generally gang-related or crimes against Pokémon and humanity.

Like Rose. Ex-Chairman of the Galarian Pokémon League. The man who'd unleashed Eternatus on the world. Even she had noticed that incident and was close enough to town to render aid at the time. Not much, and by then the ordeal was over, but it had been one heck of a day. She hadn't known much of what happened after, but Leon told her enough in their talks. He'd also told her how much it personally hurt him, and she could see his face struggling with that pain. He probably wasn't ready for this, but he had to do it.

She touched his hand just as Jenny began to unlock the door to the room Rose had been brought to. He looked to her, his eyes betraying his uncertainty, but squeezed her fingers with a nod. She nodded back, softly assuring him she was by his side. Raihan was with them, too, though he was quiet as he followed them inside the small room, where the ex-Chairman sat opposite to them at a rectangular table. Three chairs had been provided, which they all sat in, with Leon at the direct opposite to Rose. The man smiled warmly at the purple-haired trainer, as if greeting an old friend. Jenny shut the door and stood at the rear, releasing her Growlithe—just in case.

"Hello, Leon. It's been quite a while, hasn't it? I've heard you've been doing well with Rose—sorry, Battle Tower. Smart using my legacy and changing it to better suit Galar and its people. You always were their man, even after losing your title. I've always admired that about you. That spark you had—the one I saw when I chose to endorse you all those years ago," he spoke, all smiles and pleasantry, but Cassandra knew his type. Businessman. Leader. Schemer. Liar. An Arbok. Only, there was some sincerity there, and that surprised her. He wasn't a Giovanni or Cyrus. He certainly wasn't Ghetis. No, for all the terrible things he did, he did mean the praise. Still, she disliked him already. 

Leon didn't care for it at all as she growled, "You say that, and yet you betrayed me—used me. You could have destroyed Galar!"

"Ah, but I didn't, did I? Because I knew you would succeed... or, well, you were supposed to. You were meant to catch Eternatus, but whether it was you or the girl, it matters not. Things went as was planned, and now that power is available for Galar to use," he hummed, leaning back. Even in an orange jump-suit, he exuded the aura of power, of a man in control. "At least, I assume so. You have Eternatus in the Power Station, right? That was the plan after capture—so that we could use it's wild energy to power our home for an eternity."

"You'd enslave a Pokémon like that?" Cassandra couldn't help grounding out, and Rose regarded her a moment.

"Odd. I don't know you, my dear, but to answer your question: yes, I would. Eternatus was sealed before, and for good reason. It is a Pokémon of wild, untamed energy, and it is only because young Gloria and Hop defeated and captured it that we can prevent that wild energy from destroying everything. And now we can power Galar for ages. The only way for that, of course, is to utilize it as a power source. It would be such a waste otherwise, and we certainly can't let it run wild. It's why we had a Darkest Day nearly a second time. Eternatus is as much a Pokémon as it is just pure energy. It needs to be contained."

"How can you—," Leon snapped, but reigned himself in. His hands clenched and he grit his teeth. He shut his eyes for a moment, Raihan and Cassandra glancing to him. When they opened once more the golden orbs were more steady. "You were involved with Swordward and Shieldbert."

It wasn't a question, and Rose didn't feign ignorance.

"I am."

"Don't you mean 'was'?" Raihan mused, glaring a little. Cassandra had to say, in the right setting, that shade of blue could be rather intimidating.

"I suppose that would be correct, although the game is still being played. There is no sure victor, and there are still many roles for you to play, Leon. Your little brother and dear Gloria, too. After all, she is Eternatus' trainer. It accepted her. Now, only she may command and properly control its power without some kind of aid. And let's not forget how they summoned those legendary Pokémon..."

The Gym Leader's yes narrowed, "What do you know?"

"What will you give me?" he smiled, head tilting.

"Nothing, you arrogant son of a—!" Leon snapped again, standing up. Raihan grabbed his arm like a vice, a harsh, silent look telling him to calm down. Reluctantly, the purple-haired man obeyed, but his fist still shook. "How can you say that? After everything? How long have you been using me? The League? For—for this? To have these two insane men rule over Galar? Do you honestly think they'll be good for this country? It's people?"

Rose laughed, "Arceus, no! They are delusional, that is certain."

Leon balked, "Then why would you help them!? They almost killed my friends, they've kidnapped Hop and Gloria, and they could still do worse!"

"We had an alignment of goals, is all. I wished to obtain an infinite energy source, they directed me to Eternatus and how to ensure the plan worked, and I gave them a means to access the two Pokémon they so desired."

"The two you talked about?" Cassandra inquired, glancing to her friend.

The young man frowned, "Zacian and Zamazenta. Why?"

"Something about showing the 'truth of things' and 'returning to glory' or some such nonsense. I couldn't care less so long as I achieved my own ends, and I have."

"So why keep helping them? You'd do just as well telling us what you know without asking for something in return," the redhead pressed, watching him carefully. He laughed again.

"Because although I may be a prisoner, my dear, I am still a businessman. I do nothing without some sort of profit, and this is no different. I will tell you all I know about their plans, but you must give me something in return."

The trio looked between one another. Leon refused to answer, and Raihan didn't seem to know what exactly to give. Cassandra looked back to Jenny, but she only watched coolly, simply an observer. The redhead inwardly groaned. She knew how this would go.

"You want freedom—a reduced sentence, don't you?" she asked, and the man's eyes lit up.

"Oh, you're quick, aren't you? Of course I do! I didn't save Galar's energy crisis just to sit back and waste away in a cell! I expect to see the fruits of my labor."

"Can it be done, Jenny?" Raihan inquired. Her face said no—or rather, she didn't want to—but she sighed.

"Technically, yes. Despite his heinous crimes against the entire region... giving information that would help the entire region would... look good. We could see he get some years redacted. Perhaps even early release so he can see the country he nearly destroyed."

The redhead quickly added, "Without benefits. No access to your assets. No titles. You walk out an ordinary man, among other conditions required for former criminals."

Rose hummed, "Fair, but... I will never be ordinary, my dear. Not when I'm remembered in the history books, good or bad. I will die peacefully, knowing I was able to save my the region that I love."

"Then talk, and we'll see it done," Raihan growled, not liking this one bit.

"If what you say proves useful—so I suggest you be truthful," Cassandra added quickly, gaze firm.

"Very well," Rose smiled, sitting up straighter now. "I would like it in writing, however—approved and signed by Officer Jenny along with all parties in the room."

Indeed, a businessman.

"Ya gotta be kiddin—."

"Words mean very little, Raihan, compared to a legally binding document. Officer Jenny's authority counts along with yours as a Gym Leader. You are both considered representative of the League, meaning your signature is binding. Leon and his lady friend here, are simply witnesses since he is no longer Champion. All we need is a pen and paper to write the terms."

She glanced to Leon, whom glared daggers into the table. Underneath, his hands clenched tight. She reached over, but it did little good. His shoulders only shook. Raihan noticed, too, and let out an exasperated sound. He looked to Jenny and gestured with his head. A disgusted look came over her, but she pulled out her notepad and pen.

She didn't bother to hold the displeasure from her voice, "'It is agreed here today that you, Rose, will be granted a reduced sentence with conditions as required for released criminals to be fully determined later but not hindering your potential release or satisfaction of life should the information you provide prove useful in both stopping and aiding in the arrest of the criminals, Swordward and Shieldbert, by the authority of Officer Jenny III and Raihan, Hammerlocke Gym Leader and League representative'. Satisfied?"

"It will do. Now, please, let us all sign it so I may begin," he beamed, and, with a great deal of reluctance on their end, they signed the paper. Cassandra wanted to slap the smug look off his face, and she could tell Leon wanted to do a lot worse. He was holding it together, though, by some miracle.

Once Officer Jenny reclaimed her notebook, Rose began, "Swordward and Shieldbert are, indeed, delusional. They believe the legends of old are really them—or rather, their ancestors and are therefore entitled to that same glory. But we have since discovered the truth thanks to Hop and Gloria, as your little professor friend Sonia wrote in her book. Quite the well-done piece, but it's no wonder the two would-be kings acted now. The book tarnishes their reputation, or, rather, the one they wish to have. They're trying to fix it, which means they're making their move now rather than later. I imagine it's also because they've been unable to get their hands on the Pokémon's' relics, yes?"

Leon finally ground out, "Yes."

"Then that's why they're making bold moves. Unfortunately for you all... they have followers all over Galar, people swayed over by their nonsense and believing their rise to power will grant them power of their own—promises of being raised to nobility for their loyalty. It's all quite pitiful, really. But, alas, greed is a good way to buy loyalty, however temporary, and you have nothing better to offer them. I can't say how many followers they have, but enough to be troublesome if you don't ready yourselves."

"The Gym Leaders and League are prepared to fight."

"Most of the League. They have a few followers there too, though their loyalty is fleeting at best. You would be wise to reclaim the relics and summon the legendary Pokémon. After all, the two men most likely plan to unleash Eternatus once more, or at least use its energy."

"For what purpose?" Raihan snarled. "Do they want to rule a ruined country, too!?"

"Oh, no, no. I suppose I should clarify. They want to unleash its energy, but in smaller, controlled doses. That was where you were supposed to come in, Leon. You were supposed to fall under their wing after capturing Eternatus and help them unleash that would energy to draw the legendary Pokémon out again after I finished with the Darkest Day to awaken them. Obviously, your failure and the relics being returned poses an issue to that plan. They need all of the pieces to succeed and have the country revere them as rulers—or rather, heroes, just as we used to think the legend said."

Cassandra frowned, puzzled, "How would the warrior Pokémon help?"

Rose shrugged, "They didn't say, only that they needed them to show the truth, of which they didn't elaborate. But it has to do with those two Pokémon heroes. You would do well to seek them out, as I stated earlier."

"That sounds like bad advice—coming from you, mate," the gym leader sneered.

"And yet, it is your best bet. They are your only trump cards. Either you will hold them, or they will, and if they do that, you will lose," the older man smiled oh-so-sweetly, eyes on Leon. Cassandra hated that kind of smile. It was hiding too much and planning too many things. She was starting to think he knew all of this would happen, but that was too generous. The man was certainly brilliant, though. He was taking everything they gave him and connecting the dots almost perfectly. She honestly didn't want to see him get free.

Yet, at the same time, she had a feeling he meant what he said. He just wanted to, essentially, retire, and watch the land prosper, so sure he had saved it.

And he thought the two wanna be kings were delusional?

She hated people like him, and she'd make sure he never got to retire anywhere near home so long as she could help it. Based on their expression, she knew everyone else felt the same.

"I think we have what we came for," Raihan mused, glancing to Leon, who had yet to speak again.

"It's something, anyways. We need to get those Pokémon before them. You have our... appreciation, Mr. Rose," she replied coolly. 

The man smiled sweetly as he nodded, "Of course, Ms...?"

"I'd rather not say, no offense," she smiled back even more sweetly, and he chuckled, amused. She disliked him even more. Raihan stood up then, and she did the same. Their third companion remained still, so she touched his shoulder. "Leon?"

His head finally lifted, and he met Rose's gaze. The ex-chairman kept that smile of his up, though she swore there was a flicker of something more. Contempt, perhaps? Or pleasure knowing her friend had played his part well, though not quite perfectly? Or enjoyment for his anguish?

"Was I just a pawn to you?" the young man finally muttered, and she saw Rose's brow raise. Briefly, his smile softened, but then returned to normal.

"Not at first—not until I was sure you could do it," he replied. "Not until I knew you could capture Eternatus. A miscalculation on my part, but you played a role all the same. Just not the one I meant for you. Still, it's thanks to you that Gloria became the one that I—that Galar needed. So, thank-you, Leon. You were a wonderful Champion. It is a great shame your time is over. An era of greatness... ended."

"Leon, don't listen to this piece of shit. Come on. He's just messing with your head," his rival growled, putting a hand to his chest, urging him to go with them. The purple-haired man looked as though he might resist, so Cassandra moved to his side, ensuring her back was to Rose, and touched his hand out of sight.

"Leon, don't give him the satisfaction," she whispered. "He's not worth it. We have to focus on saving your brother and Gloria now and getting those relics."

That finally broke his stupor and he looked between her and Raihan, whom nodded. The young man shot a glare at Rose, who looked quite amused with it all. They ignored it, though, turning and leaving the man where he sat. Officer Jenny was all too happy to lock the door and lead them back to the surface where she returned their Pokémon and ID cards. All the while, Leon remained quiet, rage and hurt swirling in him. He felt like a fucking fool and couldn't stop the desire to punch the wall and tear something apart.

It didn't go unnoticed.

As soon as they passed the bridge from the main castle, Leon reached for his Charizard, ready to get going. Only, Raihan grabbed the same arm in a vice-grip, so he turned on him, snatching the taller man's jacket by the collar to bring his rival right down to his face.

"What the fuck do you want, Raihan!?" he snarled loud enough to draw some attention.

The taller man didn't even flinch, eyes hard as steel as he spoke, voice firm, "Stopping you from you from doing something stupid, mate. I get it. That piece of shit got to you, and now you want to do something to make yourself feel better. Only, you're pissed. Really fucking pissed. And you do stupid shit when you're pissed. So I'm telling you right now, either you stop going for your Charizard or I'm going to pin you down and make you stop. You know I can. You might be able to beat me in a Pokémon battle, but I'm bigger and stronger than you. We both know how a scuffle is gonna go between us."

"Yeah, well I don't care what you—"

"Leon, stop. He's right, and you know it," Cassandra interrupted and when he spun to glare at her next, her hands met his face, cupping both sides. He stopped, not so much for the action, but that it forced him to see her eyes. There, he saw it. The understanding.

He remembered her story.

Yes. She did know, didn't she? Really knew. 

"Don't do something you'll regret, Leon. Don't be like me."

He wasn't sure he was that strong, though. He didn't know if he could it, but she was right. Because she knew. She knew. This was how she'd felt when her friend had died. She'd wanted to do anything and everything to get back at the one who hurt him, and it only ended up making all of it worse.

Shaking, Leon relaxed his arms, and Raihan, after a double check, let go. He sighed and clapped his rival's shoulder gently.

"Come on, you need a place to lay low and cool off, so you can both stay at mine. I need to use my guest rooms for once, anyways. We can have an early dinner on me, too. Y'all look starved."

"Can't refuse the Gym Leader's hospitality. It's bad manners," the redhead grinned, and Leon did his best half smile. She squeezed his hand. "Come on."

The young man squeezed back, and almost didn't let go when she started to move. At the last second he let her touch slip away, paused to inhale slowly, and then followed after.

--------

Cassandra sighed as she paced the hall back to Raihan's kitchen. She could still smell the lingering aroma of dinner from hours ago—a delicious roast with vegetables that had filled her stomach in a way it hadn't been in quite a while. Sonia had provided back in Postwick, of course, but this had been a step up, and Raihan was good company. He was far livelier and more interactive than the ginger. He could be a bit of a tease and an insatiable flirt, but it was in good taste and they talked a lot about Pokémon, too. Of course, they did eventually delve into what they planned to do. Mostly it was about returning home first thing tomorrow morning and checking in with Sonia. Then they'd see about obtaining the relics. It may not be possible without Hop and Gloria, but Leon had gotten through without them before, although technically they'd been in the woods at the time. So, it wasn't entirely hopeless. Regardless, they would go; the fate of Galar depended on their success, but only after they slept well and filled their bellies, which Raihan made sure of. He was a good host, after all, and would support their endeavors by keeping a good eye on Eternatus and the other out for any spies.

Things settled down after that, a few beers shared—Cassandra opted for a glass of wine for lack of sake—and then it was decided they should rest. It was around then the redhead recalled how quiet Leon had been, not speaking much and hardly cracking a joke. It had been worrisome, but he only brushed it off when he bid goodnight. She might have pressed, but she was tired herself, and her headache was acting up again. The aftereffects of Screech, especially so many in a row, were a bitch, and she was eternally grateful when Raihan mentioned where he kept pills to relieve the pain. It was supposed to be fast-acting, but she didn't keep her hopes up even as she downed the tiny tab with water.

She was going to head back to her room, and maybe check back on Leon on the way, but stopped to do a double take. Speak of the Houndoom—there was the very person she worried about, outside on the balcony of the living room. The moonlight gave him a strange, morose glow, or perhaps that was just his slumped shoulders as he leaned forward on the marble railing. As she got closer, she could see him shaking, fists clenched so tight they might bleed. Her chest tightened along with her throat. He should never have ended up like this. She couldn't leave him like that. No one should endure it alone—not like she let herself.

Softly, she called out, "Leon."

He jerked, spinning with eyes wide. She could believe he might have been crying with frustration, but she soon realized he'd turned to violence instead—there were small, dark stains on the railing. She sighed, coming over to take his hand and look. Sure enough, he'd scraped and opened the skin, most likely from punching. Nothing terrible, but she bet it stung. His gaze fell, but she just smiled and tapped his hand, mumbling for him to "hold on". He watched her trot back inside, rummage through Raihan's "First Aid" drawer, and brought out band-aids, antibacterial wipes, and Neosporin. There were two chairs by a patio table, and it was to there she ushered him. He did as bid, and she went about cleaning the wound—he winced, much to her bemusement—and added the ointment and bandages.

"There," she hummed, and he sat back, silent again for a time. She let him be, watching the changes in his features, until, at last, he closed his eyes and let out a deep breath through his nose.

"Sorry. I... I didn't..."

"It's okay. I told you, I know."

"Then you know why."

"Yeah, and it's why I know you don't need to be alone—or hurt yourself. It's not your fault."

"Except it is. I was too stupid to see what Rose was up to—I believed him all this time... and I was just a... a pawn! He used me! And I trusted him. He... He always believed in me, too. Or—or I thought he did, but—it... it was all just a lie!" he rasped, the lid suddenly popped and all of it coming out. There was just no stopping it, and he wasn't sure he wanted to—not if it was her listening. "And if he was lying, then what else is a lie? Was I ever meant to be Champion? Were all my wins a lie? Is that why Gloria won? Because I was a sham? A fraud? Is that why I couldn't stop Eternatus? Was I just deluding myself all this time? And what am I even doing with the Battle Tower? It's all just some stupid attempt to hide my failures. But I can't. I'm not a Champion anymore. I'm not sure I ever was."

"Rose using you doesn't mean you were any less a great trainer. Or a Champion. You beat all those people on your own, and that was before he thought you could stop Eternatus. That was you."

He laughed, "How can you be sure? You weren't here. You're not Galarian. You haven't been here since I became champion at ten. Who even can do that? And then stay undefeated for another decade? It's not plausible."

"But it did happen—because you have a bond with your Pokémon that most only dream of. You trained hard every single waking moment, and even now you try hard at everything you do. You try hard at the Tower, you tried hard when you faced Swordward. You tried even harder to save my life, putting your own on the line, and you definitely tried hard today when you saved me again. And with Rose, too. I know you wanted to hit him, but you didn't."

"I let him get to me, though. I let him get under my skin. I tried to ignore him, but he just... 'Cas I... I trusted him. Completely. I did everything I could to make him proud when he endorsed me—the first one to do so... and he was... and just... I don't know what's real anymore. And I hate him for it. I hate myself for hating him. It's pathetic."

"Maybe... but so is running away from your problems like a coward," she smiled gently, reaching over to take his hand. "Like me."

"Says the one who saved a stranger in the middle of a blizzard and keeps helping his stupid ass."

"Says the idiot who keeps saving my life right back and cheering me up the same," she smirked back, and he laughed, somewhat sincerely. Part of it was choking back a sob of his own. Not so unlike her before.

They really were alike, weren't they?

"It's okay to be angry at him. We were both justified in our anger... but this time I'm not going to let you make my mistake. So... instead of beating the railing or running away, you can talk to me or Raihan or Sonia or whoever. I can't always promise good advice, but I promise I'll listen. I'm your friend, Leon. And I wish I'd had someone like you—one I could trust to understand."

"Guess I was a little late. My bad," he snickered, and finally grasped her hand back.

"You were a little busy, so don't worry."

"I just... I wish I wasn't so angry—that I could be genuinely happy Gloria won. I want to be happy for her; to be happy fighting in the Tower. Because I love Pokémon and battling. I do. I love training and getting stronger and bringing out the very best in my Pokémon and other trainers. I want to see everyone in Galar become great, but... right now... I just... I'm angry. At him. At myself. At losing. Failing. Hop's captured now. Gloria, too. You got hurt. Twice! Galar is in danger. It's... so much."

"Which is why you've got your friends to help you. Including me. And I put myself in danger, thank-you very much. I didn't need your help for that. So, you can take that off the list. Hop being captured wasn't you, either. That's on those conniving, crazy assholes. Yeah, you weren't there to help, and we can't change that, but now we're going to do something about it. I'd only say you're at fault if you gave up, and there's no way you will.

She paused to make sure he was looking at her, "Seriously, Leon, you only fail if you give up. That's what made me a failure, so you best believe I won't let you do the same. The anger, though... that's something you'll have to get over with time—probably with venting. But it's easier with friends, so don't push them away or run, either. Because you'll just get worse and worse until it ruins you. And I guess... just remember—Rose didn't make you great. You did. And believe me, 'cause I didn't even know about Rose being your endorser until just now. I hadn't even met him until today either, so all I've seen is you being great in your own way. And now that you have a full team, well...I'm expecting a 'champion time'."

The words made him laugh, and suddenly the walls were broken and he kept laughing and laughing until tears came streaming down. He pushed his face into his hand, still laughing as he cried behind his palm. She stood up to come beside him and wrapped her arms around his head, pulling him close. He latched onto her, laughing turning to muffled sobs, shoulders shaking again. She let him pour it out just as he had done for her.

Strange, she couldn't help thinking, how it was that it took someone they'd only just gotten to know, but empathized so much with, to finally help to loosen the locks and bounds on the pain they'd kept hidden. But perhaps that's what made it so easy—two not-so-strange strangers understanding one another. No past lives together to hold things back; just an unknown future that may or may not have them still entwined, but forever bound by a common experience. Strange how it was a shared pain could bring a bit of peace.

So, she held him there, as long as he needed before he decided to pull away. He had done the same for her, and she was honored and glad it was him. She wasn't sure if anyone else could have understood the same.

"I'm okay. For now," he chuckled, his hand falling from her back, but stopping at her hand, which he held tight—like a lifeline. She held it back.

"And that's okay. We can stay here as long as you need," she spoke softly, refusing to move.

"No, it's fine. We need to sleep. We have a big day tomorrow," he chuckled, finally pushing up from his seat. Their hands parted and she led the way to the door. She almost passed the threshold, when he called out. "'Cas?"

She turned around, ready to ask what, but it was cut off as he suddenly embraced her, pulling her tight to him, and burying his face into her neck. She stood, stupefied for a moment before returning the embrace, wrapping her arms around his back.

"Thank-you. I promise I'll do better," he murmured.

"I'll hold you to it—so long as you do the same for me."

He chuckled, "Deal."

He let her go then, his smile more genuine than before, and bid her goodnight. Cassandra watched him go, her chest aching. She wanted to go to him—to embrace him again. To never let go. She wanted to feel his arms around her again.

It was just the emotions talking, though, so she just chuckled at the foolishness of it, and slipped back to her room. All the while they were unaware a figure watched from behind a slightly opened door, a pleased, toothy smile on his face. 

---------

Yeah, Raihan ships it ┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴

NOW TIME FOR FRIDGE ART AW YEAH

HELLA DEAD BUT I'M MORE THAN OKAY

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 4K 80
A 10-year-old boy, with a goal to become a Pokemon Champion, sets out on a journey across the Kanto Region. A journey charged with friendships, fun...
48.8K 747 15
Exactly what it says on the box. you're [Y/N], a 16 year old who moved to Sinnoh from Unova when you were 5, befriending Cynthia from a young age. Yo...
51 14 6
I am a future novelist dumping an idea from my head onto Wattpad in hopes that a few people will be able to enjoy it xd. This is basically of my take...
41 1 5
More adventurous Pokemon story with a deep interesting plot with original OCs and fan favourite characters. This is an original plot and a bunch of...