Champion's Sword, Galar's Shi...

By TMWolf

Cassandra came to Galar running from a past she couldn't bring herself to face. Leon was running from his fa... More

01 - Encounter
02 - Warmth
03 - Fishing
04 - Talks
05 - Sword
06 - Fear
07 - Haven
08 - Vulnerable
10 - Rose
11 - Trials
12 - Plans
13 - Tribulations
14 - Rescue
15 - Reprieve
16 - Beloved (18+)
17 - Blood
18 - Aftermath Part I
19 - Aftermath II
20 - Reunions
Epilogue
Sequel

09 - Heist

1.1K 34 50
By TMWolf

Click on the chapter image to view the comic xD This was a fun chapter to write 

-----------

Their "mission" started two days later, when they were sure Cassandra's side was healed up enough to where it didn't cause much pain. There was still tenderness, but not to where she would wince unless she was struck hard. She assured them she was fine, and from there it was a matter of outfit. Luckily Sonia already had extra clothes for her to use. She was subsequently adorned in a slightly baggy hoody and snug jeans along with a cap from Leon and shades that had been lying around. At most she could pass for an older teen dressing in an up-start style, but that worked in their favor. She would keep her Pokémon hidden slightly under her top, just to keep up the illusion.

Originally, it was planned to take a Taxi, but the question of a possible ambush came up, and Leon demanded to go along as back up. He might have just had Charizard, but that would work in their favor in case they had to make a quick exit—all he would have to do was pick Cassandra up and zip away. Yes, the enemy would find out he was for sure alive—if they didn't already—but by then they would be back in Postwick and they would have two Champion-level teams to fight with. It might cause some problems with their future plans, but Leon's team would help change the tide. 

With that settled, Sonia wished them good luck in the early morning hour they left. They had yawned their thanks, both of them having stayed up to both plan and talk. Most of it was about future goals and what the enemy might do, but ultimately it ventured into frivolous talk, jokes, and teases, and even playful flirts, though there was nothing behind it—at least, that's what Cassandra told herself. She was pretty sure he'd traded such glib with Sonia, anyways, although she didn't recall the ginger talking as much. The professor had even excusing herself to bed before them at one point while they had stayed up a few too many hours more. Cassandra hadn't meant to, but, truthfully, she hadn't even realized time had been flying by. The hours meant nothing around Leon, and she enjoyed hearing about his childhood and journey to be Champion. Likewise, he asked her as much as he could about her own journey and the Pokémon she'd seen, the Champions she'd faced; and all about her ranch back home along with the Legendary Pokémon she'd encountered again. Not once did his curiosity seem insincere, and she couldn't help blushing every so often as she realized, yet again, how attentive he was.

Not many people, especially the men she'd liked, were.

Still, she didn't dare let herself think too far, and instead enjoyed the notion that after talking so much she felt like she'd known him forever. Certainly, she trusted him completely, and so was actually quite glad he came with her to Wyndon, riding on the back of his Charizard—and not just for the close proximity as they flew; him holding her with his arm around her waist while he pressed into her back to keep her snug against the Pokémon.

Thank Arceus he couldn't see her red cheeks, and that the flight was only a few hours.

Wyndon was as she remembered, except the Battle Tower, although back then it had been Rose Tower, named for the former owner. Leon has taken over post-arrest and his loss as Champion, and it looked much livelier and more welcoming. Even in the early morning, people were strewn about with their own Pokémon or just chatting. The Tower itself was imposing at one thousand feet tall, with the main battle arena at the very top in the circular dome enclosed with see-through glass. Yet, despite being intimidating it was rather accommodating to trainers and guests of all kinds. For instance, and per her comrade's description, if a guest wanted, they could leave their Pokémon with the facility's day care from about 10 AM to 4 PM, after which they would be returned via room service. As it stood, they've arrived just shy of 9 AM. They had one hour before the Pokémon would be moved, which meant they were still in his apartment—up near the very top on the Champion floor. It was reserved for those who had the highest rankings and special guests like Gym Leaders, and of course for Champions including ex ones like himself.

Leon glanced from around the corner of the alleyway they were lurking, peeking at the crowd through his dark shades. He'd made sure to wear a hood as well, which helped keep his hair back that he'd tied into a pony-tail and shoved under a hat. He apparently had a lot of caps to choose from, though refused to say how many; only admitting he had enough to never wear the same one any day of the week. He'd also made a point to wear a scarf, too. Essentially, to anyone who looked, they wouldn't know it was the former Champion. His Charizard was a bit more noticeable, however, but that's why they were keeping hidden at the moment.

Turning back to Cassandra, he handed her a golden card, "Here, my key. Just go the side elevator on the right as soon as you enter—it's the main one to use to get to personal rooms. The middle is to get to the dome up top. Once you get to the Champions floor—it's the 'C' button—my room is the very last on the left, C10. I have my Pokémon on my belt in my room on a display and my phone next to it, too. Rillaboom might be out and getting into trouble, but just tell him Leon sent you. Show him your hat, too."

"...Your hat?"

"It's the one I wore when I was Champion, so he'll know it. He likes to steal it and wear it himself sometimes. Luckily for us, the League made a point to pass out copycats as merchandise, so no one will think any different," he chuckled, playfully tipping the lip of it. She snickered as she took the key and stuck it in her pocket.

"I'll send you a message when I have them, and meet you back here," she explained, double checking her pokégear. Sonia had upgraded it for her last night, adding the Galar messenger app and their numbers. She'd also made sure to encrypt it with the help of her Rotom. Cassandra never bothered to upgrade hers with one, as she didn't need it, and it felt weird having a Pokémon in her phone. Leon tried hard to convince her last night, but even his sweet, pathetic Pikachu eyes couldn't sway her. 

"Got it. I guess if there's trouble, blow a hole in the wall and I'll know to come get you?" he grinned like the imp he was.

"Oh my Arceus. I don't need that bill on my hands! But—" she grinned, reaching up to tip his chin up, "—thanks. Nice to know I have a knight in shining armor to come save me if I need to bail."

"Of course, my lady. Alright, get going. And be careful, 'Cas!" he added, taking her hand to squeeze it. She met his gaze behind the shades and nodded with a grin.

"Don't worry—not my first time infiltrating an organization."

She didn't give him time to inquire about it, spinning around, and heading right toward the main square in front of the Tower. She hadn't been lying, though; she'd done her fair share of sneaking into bad guy bases, either in disguise or not. The key was simply to act like you belonged, and people didn't bother you—unless, of course, it was a high security area, but this wasn't. Not in the residential part, anyways. That wasn't to say she wouldn't be careful, so she made a point to chew some Berry gum to add on a "rebellious teenaged cool-kid" charm so people would think it was just a normal thing walking up the steps, waltzing right through the front door, and sauntering over to the elevator on the right. As she expected, no one at the reception even really cared; they were too busy with other trainers, so it was simple enough to tap Leon's card on the elevator keypad. It dinged and opened, letting her in. Two other trainers followed suit. They looked young—probably actual teens who were excited over beating the Pokéball Tier at the Tower. She couldn't help grinning. She remembered those days, although for her it'd had been beating her first Gym. Arcanine had been a Growlithe then.

The two got off a lot earlier than she did, leaving her alone for what felt more than a thousand feet before the elevator stopped, dinged, and revealed a hallway that went left and right. She went left, following the curve of the tower until it ended and there was room C10 was waiting for her. She tapped the key card on the door. It clicked, so she turned the handle and pushed in.

A Rillaboom greeted her, munching on snacks in the living room area. A pile of empty bags were all around it, along with plenty more crumbs.

She paused.

It paused.

They stared at one another; its eyes wide like a kid caught with a hand in the cookie jar.

If she thought about it, the Pokémon kind of was. Only the cookie jar was a bag of chips it dropped on the ground. 

Then the Rillaboom shrieked angrily, raising a baton to chase her out. She miraculously recalled Leon's words and took off her hat to show it to the angry grass type.

"Wait! Leon sent me! I'm his friend!" she shouted, making the large Pokémon pause. It narrowed its eyes, frowning in contemplation. It sniffed the air cautiously, then came closer. Her heart raced, hoping her Pokémon would behave and not jump out. So far, they hadn't, and the Rillaboom came right next to her, sniffing profusely all around her face and shoulders. It snatched the hat, looking between it and her, and then snorted with satisfaction. It didn't return the hat, though, instead putting it on its own head and made various sounds at her.

She assumed it was asking about Leon. It sounded irritated. She wasn't surprised.

"I came to get you—all of you. Leon is in some trouble," she began, and the Pokémon immediately perked up, puffing itself up a bit with a loud hoot. She held up a hand, shushing it, "Calm down! I'm trying to sneak you out to him! He needs you guys right now. Some bad people came to hurt him and now they have Hop and Gloria—yeah, you know them? These bad guys got them, and now I need to get you and the rest to Leon to help. You have to go back in your ball and I'll get you all out, okay?"

The Rillaboom rumbled thoughtfully, gauging her words, and sniffing her some again. It took the hat off, eyeing her and it once more, and then finally nodded. Cassandra sighed in relief and had to laugh when the Pokémon pat her head and returned the hat before motioning for her to follow to another room. Another time and place, she might have really taken the time to notice how grandiose the suit was—certainly better than other Champion rooms she'd been given—but for now she focused on the bedroom.

As Leon said, he had his belt on display, pokéballs attached to it, and his Rotom phone slumbered right by it, charging. The Rillaboom brought both over, chirping at the last one ball on the belt. All six were there, two of them empty. She took the ball pointed out, and, shoving the phone in her free pocket, had the grass-type follow her back to the living room. She raised the device, but before she could return the Pokémon to its ball there was a knock on the door. Both froze, staring at one another again. Only, it wasn't shock in their features this time. It was concern. 

"Room service."

Cassandra's mind raced, 'Room Service?'

That wasn't right. It couldn't be right.  Why the hell would there be room service when Leon wasn't even here? It wasn't time for day care pick up, either—she still had just under an hour—and even then, why call out? Did they assume he was just in and out despite not showing up for days? It was just too much of a coincidence that it happened right when she was here. Something was wrong.

The door was locked, but room service could get in right? Didn't they only call out once? 

Her gut didn't like this.

"Room service."

Okay, definitely not the cleaning staff. Her gut really didn't like this. 

Cassandra had just reached for her own pokéballs when the door exploded, the force knocking her back into the Rillaboom, whom thankfully caught her and shielded her from the shrapnel. In the doorway, a Machoke sauntered through, brushing debris off its hands. Behind it were two trainers, dressed as cleaning people. Smirks adorned their faces, which only grew more smug as the second trainer unleashed a Sneasel that laughed tauntingly.

"Screech!" the second trainer barked before she could react, and it was only instinct that saved Cassandra and Rillaboom's eardrums as they slapped their hands over their ears while the ice-type unleashed an unholy sound that vibrated through their bones and blasted their ear drums. Any glass surfaces around them cracked and shattered, the wall-to-ceiling windows behind her included. It was awful, glass slapping against them, and she was dizzy by the time it ended, which wasn't helped by the short, sudden blast of wind from behind. Rillaboom wavered as well, but he was a strong creature, and snarled while stepping in front of her protectively.

"Stop—that Sneasel has the advantage on you," she spoke quickly, reaching for her own ball.

"Ah-ah! Screech!"

Again, the ear-piercing sound wailed, she slapped her hands to her ears, but this time Cassandra wanted to vomit. Rillaboom writhed in pain, having not protected its ears in time.

"Machoke, Force Palm!" the first trainer bellowed as the screech ended. Cassandra whipped up the grass-type's pokéball and returned it before the fighter could land its blow. The Pokemon glowered at her, puffing itself up menacingly. She reached for Arcanine, but again, the Sneasel let loose. She screamed as the sound ravaged her body. Her skull practically split apart from the pain, and she almost did really vomit then and there. She'd never actually taken a full-on screech in such a small space before, but this was insane! She staggered back, ears ringing, vision dizzy, and stomach trying hard not to heave.

"Alright, she'd subdued. Don't try and grab a pokéball again, love. Just be a good little girl and tell us where Leon is. Oh, and hand over his Pokémon."

"D-don't know... w-who... that... is," she groaned, just barely starting to come out of the worst of it.

The second trainer, a woman, rolled her eyes, "Don't play stupid. We know you used his card. We've only been waiting for ages for him to come back. The Kings said you would, and their wisdom never fails."

"Wonder if we should just take her? She must be a friend or something?" the first trainer, a man, shrugged.

"The Kings just want Leon, but since he's not here... he has to be close by. We'll just take his Pokémon, make sure to screech them anytime they try to come out. We'll use them to bait the slippery bastard."

Cassandra tried to think quickly. It was hard with all the ringing and pounding in her skull, but she knew she had to escape somehow. The door was not an option; the Machoke and Sneasel had their sights locked on her. If she tried to move or bring out a Pokémon they'd blast her. She'd probably pass out with another Screech, leaving no way to fight. So then—how?

Her foot crunched glass as she stepped back, and she looked over her shoulder at the broken window. A breeze was blowing in gently, and she noticed the once strong clear wall separating her from a harrowing fall to her death was gone. It was only open air, but it was a way out. Technically. Truth be told, she wasn't sure Corviknight had the size needed to completely hold her weight yet. He could potentially slow their descent so it didn't kill her when they landed, but a thousand feet was a long way, and she had no idea if he wasn't disoriented by the screeching. That, and she couldn't get him into the room without being attacked. 

She needed help. 

She needed—wait. Leon!

He said he'd come if she blasted out the wall.

A window blown out by a screech surely counted. Right?

But—what if he didn't notice?

She closed her eyes, a headache coming on. The trainers were still arguing on what to do, almost on the verge of a full blown verbal fight. It made it hard to think and focus, and there was some other loud sound—like a roar?

She gasped, eyes wide.

A roar.

From outside.

She had her way out.

Cassandra started to walk forward, arms up. The Pokémon tensed, alerting their trainers.

The man chuckled, "Giving up, huh? Wise choice, love. Now unclip those Pokémon and—."

Just as the trainers moved towards her, she reached what she felt would be a good distance. She spun sharply on her heel, and took off at a sprint. The trainers shouted in surprise, but she didn't dare stop as her foot hit the edge and she vaulted off.

At once she regretted it, the ground coming towards her at an alarming rate. She was falling fast—too fast. Panic was a very strong emotion at the time, but she had enough sense to reach for Corviknight's ball. Just as she grabbed it, though, a flash of orange crossed her vision and then came towards her again. She squeezed her eyes shut just as a hand latched onto her arm, and pulled her against a firm body, head burying into a mix of hair and hoodie. Wind pressure kept her from moving, whatever they were riding on flying up fast. It lasted only a few moments, and then they leveled out, giving her time to finally breathe. When she opened her eyes she found a familiar top and hair color, and when she looked up, there was Leon's worried face. He had an arm around her waist, the other cupping her cheek while she straddled his waist. He was talking, but it was muffled by the wind and the ringing in her ears.

She groaned, pinching her brow and putting a hand to his mouth, "I got screeched, give me a minute."

He seemed to understand and let her rest her head against his chest, the pounding starting to ease up some. He said something to Charizard, and she noted the flying was a bit slower; steadier. Once the ringing faded, she finally lifted her head and sighed.

"Thanks for the save. I think you have one up on me now."

"You crazy woman, you jumped!" he rasped, shaking his head with a chuckle. "You actually jumped!"

"Wha—you told me you'd come get me!"

"From the room! Like as in I'd fly up there and you just climb on, not throw yourself out of the building into free fall! Thank Arceus we were already in the air!" he groaned, slapping a hand to his face.

"I was, uh, kind of in a tight spot, but I did get your Pokémon," she smiled, patting the belt over he shoulder. "But shit I need a full heal or something. That stupid Sneasel just about busted my ear drums, and..."

"What is it?"

"They were expecting us."

He scowled with a curse, "How?"

"They must have predicted you'd go for your Pokémon, and it seems like some of their henchmen were disguised as room service people. I swore no one was following me.... ugh, I bet they have more in there, too... which means Sonia was right. Ordinary people are allied with them."

"That's... not good."

"No, it's not... which means we really need to talk to Rose now."

"Yeah... we should head to Hammerlocke."

"Not Postwick first?"

"They'll expect it now they know I'm 'for sure' back. It's the only actual safe place they're aware of."

She frowned, "Will Sonia be alright?"

"Yeah, she'll be fine. They're not after her, and she'll just play dumb. She's strong—and smart."

A flash of annoyance went through Cassandra at the words, but she shoved that right back into the dark recess of her mind that it belonged.

"Okay. Hammerlocke it is. We're going to meet with Raihan, right?"

"Yeah, he's the one that's vouching for us. Officer Jenny should be fine with it, especially after they hear what happened at the Tower. Alright, hold tight. We'll be flying over the mountains again, but we'll stick to the valley where the weather is calmer."

"Brings back memories," she snickered, earning a chuckle in kind. She glanced over her shoulder at the marginally cloudy skyline, the snow-covered mountains below. The same ones they'd been in not so long ago. Her camping gear was down there still, she mused wryly. Craning her neck again, she could barely make out Hammerlocke's tall towers in the far distance. She sighed softly, the adrenaline beginning it wear off and the ache of the attacks starting to take hold. She let her head rest on his shoulders—for a moment, anyways. She would have gladly left it there, longer, but it was at that moment she realized their positioning. She looked back in front, first to his chest if only because it was right there and then down where she was straddling him. A glance up and she saw his cheeks looked a shade pinker. He also seemed to be avoiding her gaze.

Ah.

"Uh, I can... turn... around?" she tried, coughing awkwardly.

"I, uh, wouldn't recommend it. Hop tried once when facing the other way when he was smaller, and that almost ended badly. He was mad he couldn't hit me after I made a joke," Leon chuckled, and she couldn't help noticing his arm still hadn't moved from around her waist.

"I guess I'll, uh, stay here then."

"Hold tight, though—we're going to pick up speed," he grinned rather impishly, and she couldn't stop her blush from worsening. Was he actually was enjoying it?

She had no time to retort as Charizard suddenly roared, flapped its wings, and shot across the sky faster than she expected. Again she was pressed against him, if only because he had to lower himself as well to avoid wind whiplash. She ultimately decided to just endure keeping her head buried in his chest, hands clinging to the back of his shirt, ignoring the intimacy of their positions, and dared let herself enjoy how nice it felt and that he smelled nice.

After all, she could afford to be a little foolish sometimes. Right?

-----------

If you can't tell, this was a bit of a guilty pleasure chapter that I hope you all enjoyed as much as me :D

NOW FOR SOME CHAPTER FRIDGE ART DISPLAY BECAUSE ICEOFIRE336 IS SO GOOD TO ME

I'M JUST SO DEAD AND SCREAMING I ADORE IT ALL. IT MADE ME DRAW MY OWN TOO AND I'M ON A SPREE.

And of course thanks to everyone who's read and voted and commented! It means a lot :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.1K 1.9K 53
This is the story of what happens after Ash wins the Masters Tournament. All our heroes attend a celebration in honor of the new Monarch. What will h...
65.7K 1.2K 31
(THIS BOOK IS OUTDATED AND OLD‼️) "I want to make people and pokémon equally stronger!" -Leon You are Y/N L/N, living in the Galar Region. Watching L...
14K 482 66
It's been two years since Team Rocket was defeated for good, and months since Ash confessed his love to Serena. The young couple are now Research Fel...
10.9K 153 17
Quick Note: This story is not accurate in the Pokemon sword and shield plot... Some words will contain cringe or out of context sentence, Game Break...