Champion's Sword, Galar's Shi...

By TMWolf

Cassandra came to Galar running from a past she couldn't bring herself to face. Leon was running from his fa... More

01 - Encounter
02 - Warmth
03 - Fishing
04 - Talks
06 - Fear
07 - Haven
08 - Vulnerable
09 - Heist
10 - Rose
11 - Trials
12 - Plans
13 - Tribulations
14 - Rescue
15 - Reprieve
16 - Beloved (18+)
17 - Blood
18 - Aftermath Part I
19 - Aftermath II
20 - Reunions
Epilogue
Sequel

05 - Sword

1.7K 41 82
By TMWolf

AN: y'all been spoiled by fluff enough, time for some fun >:) btw I use johto-jin for native Johto people because I saw it in a discussion about it and liked the idea. Kanto-jin, Sinnoh-jin, Hoen-jin or what not.

-----

The day watching the Darumaka had been long, but in a way that had made it even better. They talked of most anything, not unlike when they fished, and laughs, jests, teases, and even somber words could be found throughout. Neither could recall talking so much to anyone about so much before, but it didn't feel weird. Perhaps it was their common understanding, or maybe it was just the right person at the right time. Either way, the hours felt like a short bliss, learning about Pokémon, regions, and cultures. It was only ended when the ice-type Pokemon finally dispersed on their own, and their stomached demanded to be fed. They returned then, and although dinner was quiet and talk more-so jokes and sharp wit, the sense of enjoyment remained and the things that drove them there felt far away.

It was a feeling Cassandra found she liked—a lot, and looking at Leon afterward felt different, too. It was silly, of course, and she was able to brush it off, but she was acutely aware of his presence in the tent that night. She couldn't help wondering if her companion might think the same, but she forbade such ideas from going too far and let her slumber take her.

Thankfully, she did not repeat her mistake of the morning before, and rose before Leon, who slept deeply. She decided to let him be, knowing he needed it. Based on what he'd told her, the life of a Champion, even after a loss, was almost insanity. He had no privacy to speak of and so little time to even see his family. She had been given plenty of freedom to do as she pleased in her time as a brand new Champion, and even working for the League wasn't so demanding. She pitied him, and wished he would take more breaks. He'd earned them.

But guilt and one's personal strife could bring one's self to do such things.

After all, what the hell was she doing out here if not the same thing?

Sighing, Cassandra left the tent to tend to her Pokémon and also Leon's. The lizard looked definitely better after two days, and he was stretching his wings more readily. He might even be ready to fly.

Was it weird she didn't want him to be?

She left the question unanswered as she came over to the Pokémon, offering to examine his injury. He agreed, and she began to poke and prod. In return, Charizard grumbled and shifted, making all sorts of complaints, and also making her job difficult.

"Oh, stop fussing you overgrown baby lizard," Cassandra scoffed, batting Charizard lightly on his rump, earning a grunt of surprise. An orange snout bumped her back, and she glared at the fire-type before returning her focus to his wings. She urged him to stretch his limbs to their full extent, and, once satisfied, stepped away. She held out a berry for him, which he gladly chomped down. With a pleased rumble he stared at her expectantly. The red-haired woman set her hands on her hips, "Looks like you're all healed up for the most part. I'd say you can finally go for a test flight—but take it easy! And take Corviknight with you so you have a backup. No, no no-don't you give me that look. I know that's sass. You get it from Leon. So, hush. You have to be careful when it comes to wing injuries. Corvi is just there to alert us if something goes wrong so, no buts!"

The Charizard narrowed its eyes, glaring, and she did the same right back. Ultimately, the Pokémon huffed and grumbled, but nodded with a flick of the tail.

"Atta, boy," she grinned, rubbing him gently under the chin, which brought out a pleased purr.

"Now that's just not fair," the familiar voice of her "guest" called out, and she turned to find Leon leaning against the cave wall, arms folded, and brow raised. "You never purr for me and I give you plenty of affection!"

"That's because he's too busy babysitting you," she winked, then continued as he huffed—not unlike his Charizard. "Good news, though; he's all healed and ready for a test flight. You want to go with him or...?"

"No, you mentioned it'd be best if I didn't when we talked about it yesterday, and I'll heed the advice. You're the 'expert' here," he smirked teasingly, earning an eye-roll.

"Oh, hush. I just happened to pay more attention in the health and anatomy seminars the League holds. Not my fault you got lost on the way to them."

"I didn't get lost!" he pouted, throwing up a hand.

"Uh-huh."

He smirked suddenly, "I just never went."

"What are we going to do about your master, Charizard? He's hopeless," she sighed dramatically, falling back against the Pokémon, whom nudged her back up with his belly.

"'We'?" he raised a brow.

She shrugged, "I mean, he and I both are practically babysitting you now."

"I'm a big boy who can handle himself, thanks."

"...Who's the only one who wasn't allowed to cook on your journey because you always burned the food?" she quipped back, raising her own brow back. "Who's also not allowed to prep dinner of any kind because you nearly took your finger off once? And whose mother won't even let him cook because he almost set the kitchen on fire—as said by your own words?"

"...In my defense I haven't done any of that in a long time, but still! You're just being mean now."

"Only because I care," she smirked in kind, coming up to pat his head gently. Walking by, the Charizard smirked, too.

Leon glared at the lizard, but smiled oh-so-sweetly at Cassandra, "Aww... you care about me? Is that a confession?"

"Do you want it to be? Fallen for my wild charms have you?"

"You're the one who stripped me naked," he winked.

"What? Want to make it even?"

His cheeks did flare a bit, but he kept composed, smile almost devilish, "Is that a request?"

"I—N-no, it's not," she retorted, her own cheeks turning red. She couldn't keep his gaze and huffed. Damn, he got her. He shouldn't have, but he did. Jerk was actually really good at teasing, and she both enjoyed and hated the cheeky laugh he made when he saw he had. Really, she shouldn't be getting so embarrassed over a joke—especially when she'd been doing it right back. And just yesterday it had been fine, and it wasn't like she hadn't been teased like that before.

It was probably just because he was so attractive—and such a nice guy.

It had only been a few days since she'd saved him from the snow, but Cassandra had learned more than she ever thought she would about the former Champion Leon. She used to think him mostly just another flashy celebrity, but he was much, much more. In truth, he reminded her of a country-boy who got swept up in the fame, and didn't know where to go now that it was over. Guilt kept him from going back home, but he seemed so lost on the way forward. And yet, he still smiled. Sometimes genuinely, sometimes forced. Of course, she only knew because she would do the same.

Strange, how she found such camaraderie with a man that had been a stranger through a screen just days ago.

"Anyways, the jacket is still fitting okay? I forgot to ask yesterday," she inquired, motioning to the white one he wore, and keen to change the topic.

Leon, thankfully, let her get away with it "Yep. It's a closer fit than I'd like, but I'm keeping warm. Legs still get cold, but, I'm grateful for what you can give. Tell your... uncle, right? Tell him I said thanks."

"Oh, please," she scoffed, walking past him to join Charizard and the others outside. "If I tell him I gave it to a guy, he'd proceed to blab to my mom who would demand to see my 'boyfriend'."

"Ha! Sounds like my mom. Let's hope they never meet," he grinned, right on her heels.

"Don't worry—her and Dad don't like to travel much anymore, so we're safe from that disaster," she snickered and whistled in a distinct two-tweet pattern. Above, her Corviknight dived down and landed softly, reducing snow flurries. He hopped over, coming up to just above her height, and titled his head curiously. "You read to go for a flight with Charizard?"

Corviknight squawked happily and pranced around the fire-type before stopping in front to chirp and chatter at the Pokémon. It groaned, as if bemoaning it, and even looked to his trainer pleadingly.

"Ah-ah. You do as she says. And don't go for too long—just an hour or two at most. And if the weather gets bad, come straight back. I don't want you get hurting again," Leon replied, earning an eye roll, but his Pokémon would comply. To their left, Tyranitar suddenly chuffed and grunted some words, which the Charizard regarded, then grunted in reply, which seemed to satisfy the green-armored Pokémon.

"Alright, well, off with you two. We may or may not be here when you get back. Just wait around if we aren't."

Corviknight cawed happily and took off, hovering up high to wait for the larger lizard. The Pokémon took his time, stretching his wings and inhaling slowly, taking it all in. Then he suddenly crouched and shot into the air, passing the bird Pokémon vertically before leveling out. His new companion followed in suit and they took off, circling in wide loops or diving as low or as high as desired. Cassandra watched for a few minutes before turning to Leon.

"So. Anything you want to do while we wait? It might be your last day here and all," she chuckled, and was a little surprised when he didn't look as excited as she thought he would. She quickly added, "Not that you can't come back, of course. You'll always be welcome at La Cave de Cassandra."

He snickered, "I'm sure I will. It's been a five-star stay, even if the hostess is incredibly cheeky. But you should come visit civilization, too. I'd love to show you all the parts of Galar you've been missing—and I know you have, else you'd not be out here months at a time."

"Oh is that so? Well, I guess that's a promise then. How can I resist the chance to have you prove me wrong? But until then... well, I planned to go check on some more Pokémon today—higher up this time. A bit more dangerous, too, but it's not that bad if you wanted to come."

"Should I say no?" he quirked a brow.

"I mean, you can, but the weather's perfect."

He thought on it a moment before shrugging, "Alright, I'm in.

"Awesome, let me go grab my things and we can head out," she replied with a bright smile, trotting back to her tent where she pulled out the same pack from yesterday along with a blanket and third item bundled underneath. She paused to pay some attention to Lapras before returning the water-type to her Pokéball, and then quickly doused the fire while grabbing a blanket. As she approached Leon, she tossed a fur-lined hat. "Found that just now. We'll be out longer so you'll want it. Extra blanket, too, if you get too cold."

"Where are we going exactly?"

"Like I said, further up into the mountain, which means we're taking everyone with us—besides our fliers," she responded. At the entrance, she brought her fingers to her lips and let out a long, one-note whistle. Leon watched as her Pokémon responded; the Tyranitar came over with a head tilted questioningly; from afar, Lucario and Boltund stopped their wrestling to sprint over; and from further out the Arcanine did a sharp turn and rushed in. All were curious and eager, no doubt sensing the change in usual mood. Up high, Charizard and Corviknight came close, but she did the double whistle again. The two Pokémon exchanged words and continued on.

"So. Whistles. Nice."

"It makes it easier than shouting," she grinned, and then motioned upwards. "Don't worry about them, by the way. Corvi can hold his own against most wild Pokémon around here, but he still has a type weakness. So it's better to let him play babysitter instead."

Leon glanced to Tyranitar, and gestured, "What about the big guy?"

"He's rock and dark, so ice isn't too bad... water can be an issue sometimes, but his armored skin is incredibly tough, so even a Wailord will have trouble against him."

"How old is he?"

"Hmm... probably eleven or even twelve years now, hence why his skin is really thick. Might be older, truth be told."

Leon whistled, "Right, you've had him since Johto. Where'd he get the scar on his forehead, though?"

"It was before I got him. My cousin Crystal was the one who found him at the base of Mt. Silver, and he was just like that. It's been there ever since, even as a Pupitar. I can only assume it was from other Tyranitars attacking him when he was young since they get so territorial. It's funny; he used to hate it as a Larvitar, but he's quite proud of it now," she chuckled, then looked to her team, hands on her hips. "Anyways, time to get going guys! We'll be checking in on the upper colonies, so be on your best behavior. Arc, you'll be our ride and ears, so keep an eye out for Alpha."

"'Alpha'?" the young man inquired as she returned all but her fire-type to their balls. Arcanine crouched down, allowing them to slip on, Leon wrapping his arms around her. She did her best to ignore how much she liked it.

"There's a particular mean female Abomasnow where we're going—very protective of her Snover. We've beaten her before, so she mostly just warns us to keep away, but she can still be a problem. If she gets mad, she'll start a bad blizzard, so I do what I can to just observe her and her colony, sometimes giving treats. But do not get within five feet or touch any Snover. If one comes near, back off it immediately. If she howls at you just shout for Arcanine, she can't beat him."

"Are you sure we should we go?" he chuckled nervously.

She laughed back, "Sorry, I just want to make sure you know to be wary. Like I said we're in a... stalemate of sorts. She lets me view things, but no interaction with the Snover; the rest are okay. She'll be anxious about you, but if you're with me, it should be fine. We're just going to be observing, anyways, and playing nice with Alpha . She's just the Big Bad Boss of the location—outside the Dens of course."

"Dynamax Pokémon are a little different."

"And not worth studying—they're way too aggressive and strong."

"I'm surprised your Pokémon couldn't handle it."

"I don't have Dynamax, remember?"

Leon paused, "Right... and you still beat everyone without much trouble?"

"Not without trouble. It was definitely a challenge. I just figured out all I had to do was outlast the Dynamax, and then the Gym Leader's Pokémon would be ripe for picking off since they're weaker for a little bit right after. I'm guessing you never had that problem since you would win with your Charizard right away," she smirked.

"...Fair point. Well, so... off we go?"

"You heard him, Arc! We're heading up higher—you know the spot!" she called out, and her Arcanine howled before bounding onward. He took off along the side of the mountain the cave was nestled before making a sharp bound up a ledge. When Leon looked, he could see only a long train of mountain peaks without a pass to go through. Apparently, that meant the only way was up and over, which wasn't that far, but he would have hesitated trying to climb it. Yet, it seemed there were enough footholds along the rock face that the fire-type could leap and bound up-carefully in a zig-zag path, of course. A few times he worried their extra weight would bring them down, but Arcanine was as stubborn as he was strong; difficult spots were overcome with patience and endurance, and, much sooner than he thought, they reached the top of the cliff.

The air was crisper—colder, too, but the coat and hat kept his upper body warm. His legs felt the chill some, but he would survive. Besides, he had the blanket. Scanning around, he noted there was an almost steady length of flat land near the top of the mountain that suddenly cut off as a ledge. Further south he could see a large pond, or perhaps a small lake at its base. The ice was mostly dusted with snow, but he could see sections that had cracked and opened—perhaps due to a Pokémon. Cassandra motioned, catching his attention, and he looked ahead. Though most blended in very well in the snow, trees, and tall grass, he could make out Pokémon roaming around, leaving paths through the drift. Some stretched all the way to where they were

She motioned to the paths next as Arcanine continued on, "Looks like Alpha is around—that really big one there on the far side. The two smaller, more shallow ones are her Snovers. And that one... Snorunt, which means the Glalie and Froslass pair should be out and about. They're pretty friendly, actually. They don't worry much about predators thanks to their shell. They will get protective of the Snorunts if they think they're in danger, though."

"And you still profess you're not a professor," Leon mused, shaking his head.

Cassandra laughed, "I'm not! I swear! I don't meet the education qualifications. And I don't want to study them as much as they do. It's just a hobby."

"Think we have different definitions of 'hobby'."

"Right, yours is getting—oh, hang on. Arc, hold up. There's Alpha. She sees us. Keep still," the redhead spoke quickly, lowering her tone and gesturing. Leon followed and could see why his companion urged caution. The Abomasnow was massive. Almost twice the size of normal one, and it was a shiny to boot. It was watching them closely, white fur raised slightly. It let out a roar a moment later, and he worried she might attack. Cassandra touched his arm, though, which gave him some reassurance, but he didn't dare loosen his shoulders until it barked in their direction and stayed put.

He let out the breath he was holding, "That was intense."

"She's a fierce one. So, we'll keep here, and she'll keep over there inside the tree line. Only Glalie and Froslass it is today," she chuckled, slipping off and headed further along, Arcanine and Leon right behind. The snow was thankfully sturdy, and so they didn't fall too deep into it as they went. "We'll set up here by the boulders. I've never had trouble when I do. Oh, look, there's the Glalie now. He's the male Alpha of their colony."

"The one with the chipped horn?" he inquired, following her focus. It was one of two, and the tip of its right horn was missing.

"Yep, it's the easy way to mark him. Right, so... hopefully his Froslass mate and their offspring will show up. People don't really see them interacting as family units in the wild much," she hummed, settling down and pulling out her notebook. Leon took up next to her and, of course, Arcanine behind. He glanced over at her notes, and saw the page she was on had a lot on it. Pictures, little diagrams, and scribbles all over. They even had dates and a message labeled "Magnolia".

She really had been out here a long time, hadn't she? She'd finished the Gym Challenge, too, and before even that, taken on multiple regions.

Leon's gaze fell, "... I feel so unaccomplished now."

Cassandra paused, looking over to him sharply. She watched him carefully, and seemed to understand.

She touched his arm, squeezing gently, "Don't."

"It's true, though," he grimaced, waving his other hand. "All I've done is win battles for a decade. You've done that and been all over and in just on one year you've done so much research..."

"Leon," she spoke firmly, surprising him a little. She didn't use his name often, preferring some teasing nickname. He wasn't much better. Regardless, he knew she was serious when she said it fully. She sighed softly, "Look... yeah, I've traveled around a lot, and I'm doing some stuff you think is really cool, but you're letting it blind you to your own achievements. You might not think much of it, but being undefeated for that long is... it's incredible. Even I don't have that perfect of a streak. So, really, that's crazy incredible. I admit, I'm envious. How many people can say they're undefeated for that long? No other Champion can that's for sure, and I know a few."

He forced a smile, "It doesn't mean much now, though—I'm not undefeated anymore."

"But it does. You do know how many trainers and people you inspired, right? How many people decided to become trainers in the first place because of you? Maybe it was to beat you. Maybe it was to emulate you. Either way, some kid saw you on TV and you gave them the dream—the spark to go on the journey. Because of you, countless people and Pokémon have formed strong bonds. Because you inspired them," she replied back firmly, gaze unwavering. She gestured, "And even in your defeat you keep on doing it. You're the one who told me why you started the Battle Tower, and those people joined because you keep inspiring them and pushing them to be better; to keep improving and making new bonds.

She grinned, "So don't try and tell me you haven't accomplished anything. Not to mention, you did help save Galar. Without you, Gloria and Hop wouldn't have been able to stop that Pokémon let alone get there in time to do so. They wouldn't even have gone on their journey if it weren't for you. So, enough of that putting yourself down, alright?"

She reached up and tugged his hat down playfully over his eyes. It took a moment, but he grinned-genuinely, and lifted his hat up to show a pair of bright, shining eyes.

"Yeah, you're right. Guess we need to add motivational speaker to list of your jobs, huh?"

Cassandra snickered, "Maybe if ex-Champion butt-kicker isn't taken."

"Not sure that's League sanctioned," he smirked back, and then, to her surprised, he suddenly embraced her. It took her a moment, her face buried in a mixture of his chest and the jacket, but she returned it, if a bit awkwardly. He spoke softer, "But I think it fits. Thanks, 'Cas."

"Hey, it's my job now. I gotta do good at it or I'll get fired."

Leon scoffed, "More like you'll quit. But maybe I can return the favor and kick your butt when you feel down?"

"We'll see. I prefer to stay positive, but you'll be the first I call the second I start."

"Good... So. We're just going to sit here the whole time and watch?" he inquired, readjusting the blanket to wrap around them both. He scooted closer to better wrap them up. She was reminded of the hug and blushed, which was silly, of course. It had just been a hug between friends, coming from someone who needed some support. Nothing more.

"Just about. I move around when I start to get too cold. Arc usually likes to—oh, yep there he goes," Cassandra mused, watching as Arcanine stood up, taking his warmth with him, and promptly plopped onto a thick snow patch a couple of feet away. He made a ridiculous growling-grunt sound before he rolled about, kicking and flailing happily. His tongue flopped out, and he was the epitome of foolishness.

"...I admit. I did not expect that," the young man mused, watching incredulously.

"Yeeeep. He does that. He's a hoot. And a bit of a show off. He knows I won't let the others out right now because it agitates Alpha."

"Ah. I see he takes after you," he smirked, and then laughed when she glared. "C'mon you can't deny it."

"Dammit, I can't, can I? You would know, too—Charizard takes after you just as bad."

"Maybe it s a Champion thing?"

"Maybe. I swear Lance's Dragonite would smirk just like he did. And was flashy, too. Oh, and Silver's Feraligator has the same glare."

"Ha! Guess that's your new research topic. Just make sure to give me credit," Leon snickered, though paused when he noticed something. He nudged her arm, "Hey, 'Cas, look. Arcanine stopped. He's looks keen on something?"

Cassandra narrowed her eyes as she found her Pokémon, who was, indeed, standing firm and straight now, ears forward and erect. His hackles had lifted uneasily, too. His ear flicked this way and that, searching. For what, though? He never got this tense with the Wild Pokémon, so what could it be?

Wait—there.

An echo. Of a cry. From a bird.

It was from the sky, and she only knew one bird flying right now. But where? She let her gaze race back and forth across the gray clouds, heart racing. There was no mistaking the echo now, which had grown louder. It was Corviknight. He was squawking in a panicked way, which meant he was hurt or being hurt. She couldn't see him, though! The clouds were thick, and he must have gone up so high!

"There!" Leon shouted, pointing. She followed his hand, and, sure enough, a black shape tumbled out from the clouds above on their side of the mountain. She wasn't sure she shouted his name, her mind going blank at the sight of her Pokémon falling helplessly. He was out of control, and not using his wings. The height would kill him even with the snow below, and there was no way to reach him in time.

Then—a flash of orange against gray. Charizard. He shot down from the sky and pulled the falling Corviknight into his arms.

"Charizard! Here! We're here!" Leon bellowed as relief shot through her, but not for too long—not when the burning question of how burst into her mind. It only grew as the lizard Pokémon veered their way, coming at a fast speed. His stopped short and landed smoothly; the bird Pokémon cradled a bit awkwardly in his arms. Corviknight cawed weakly as Cassandra came to him, helping him to the ground. A wing was damaged, a deep gash as if it had been cut. Other injuries and scrapes were laced all over, and it took all her resolve not to panic, but instead pull out a full restore. Beside her, both Charizard and Arcanine snarled and growled, their stances protective around the two trainers and hurt Pokémon, glares sent skyward.

"'Cas," Leon breathed, his own stance a bit like their Pokémon's. The redhead looked up as she applied the restore, Corviknight relaxing from the relief from the pain a little. From above, a Braviary descended from the clouds, monstrous in size, and with a fierce, piercing gaze (see A/N). It shrieked at them as it hit the ground, spewing up a cloud of ice dust, and lowered to the ground, allowing a young man to step off. His hair was a pale blond that stood out against his blue, formal tux and white cloak, and on his hip, a sword. He looked as if he were gentleman, but his smile was anything but. Instead of kindness, she could only see malice there.

"Well, well... I have found you at last, Leon, former Champion of Galar, Battle Tower founder, and trainer extraordinaire! You had my brother and I fooled there for a time, thinking you had died in the blizzard, but I had faith, and here we are! Truly, you are a man worthy of serving royalty! A shame you had to decline the first time," the man mused, coming closer with Braviary right behind. Arcanine and Charizard both bellowed roars, spewing flames. The man sneered but stopped. "Such wretched creatures, though it did lead me to you. I see you found a friend while out here as well. How touching. Your tastes are deplorable, but I suppose one such as yourself can't be too picky. Still. Tacky."

"Who the fuck do you think you are, you son of a bitch!" she snapped, jumping to her feet. "Give me one damn good reason not to have Arcanine bite your head off!"

"'Cas, no—this guy is no joke!" Leon hissed, grabbing her arm to pull her back. He kept his voice low, "He's why I ended up out here!"

"What?" she growled back, shooting a glare at the man. Their Pokémon snarled at the Braviary as it raised itself high, shrieking loudly.

"Well, if you must have an answer... simply because I am Swordward, rightful ruler of Galar, and above you peons in all ways," the man half-sighed in answer to her question, as if it were so obvious a child would know it. He flipped his cape showily, head raised high, "Now, do a be a good lad, Leon, and come along. We had our disagreements before, but I do believe you'll be more willing now."

"And why's that? Because last you told me, you planned to 'show Galar it's true rulers', and that didn't sound like a champion time at all," the young man ground back.

"Oh, we still are, and I assure you, we are simple making things as they should be. Frankly, if Rose hadn't jumped the gun it all would have gone quite swimmingly. Alas, we must now rely on a contingency plan, which you threw a bit of a wrench in running off like that, but it is no matter. Things will go as planned. The only question is whether I need to rough you up once again. I would rather not, as I am a reasonable ruler and dislike harming my subjects, but you are quite stubborn! Not unlike your brother and his little friend."

Cassandra frowned, confused, and looked to Leon.

A mixture of pure fear and anger was painted across his face. Charizard, too, snarled, and spewed fire from its mouth as it stomped at the snow and flared its wings.

"You—what the fuck did you do to Hop and Gloria!?"

The man waggled a finger, "Ah-ah, don't you go raising your hand to me, my dear Leon. Calm your little lizard down and let us be civil... Oh, and watch your tongue—lest, well, who knows what will become of your precious younger brother. It'd be a shame if he got hurt. Oh, and his sweet little friend, too."

Leon grit his teeth and clenched his fists, "What do you even want!?"

"You know very well what we're after, Leon! We've tried to be reasonable, but you have refused your rightful rulers and so you've left us no choice. You know where they were hidden from us! The brats wouldn't speak, but you will!" the man smirked as his Braviary hovered over, low enough so he could rub its neck despite standing almost a foot taller. Its feathers remained high, offensive, intimidating. The Sordward's eyes grew dark, "Because if you don't... I can't guarantee their safety."

"They're just children, you bastard!"

"And we are Kings! We are the rightful rulers of this land, and we will not be besmirched by a pair of worthless, unworthy Pokémon stealing our glory! We will show all of you fools!" their enemy snapped, suddenly unsheathing his sword and jabbing it in their direction. "Now bow down and obey, Leon! Or will your brother suffer for your insubordination?"

"Fuck!" Leon hissed, gaze falling. What could he do? Hop was in danger! Gloria, too! The son of a bitch had gotten to both of them—because he wasn't strong enough to stop them before. He didn't have enough Pokémon with him to make a difference. Worse still, Cassandra was caught up in it now, too. What could he do, though? If he acted, they would get hurt! What was he supposed to do? How could Galar's Champion—former—be so useless?

Cassandra watched the emotions swirling across Leon's face; the anger, the frustration—the pain and despair. She knew it all too well, and she knew she couldn't just let it be. He needed help, even if he would never dare ask her. He needed it, though, and she was more than willing to give it. She despised men like this "Swordward" guy—the ones who thought the world was theirs for the taking. That, and that piece of shit had hurt her Pokémon. No one hurt her team or her friends and got away with it. He was going to rue this day. 

"Leon, let's take him down," Cassandra spoke suddenly, voice hushed so only he heard, and grabbed his arm before he replied.  Her eyes were stead fast when they met his, "He won't hurt Hop—not badly, if at all. Assuming the asshole even has your brother like he says, he needs him alive and well to both use against you and to get what he wants... because if he can't get you, he'll try Hop again. He's the kind of person that won't get rid of Hop until he gets what he wants, which he can't have without you or your brother. I think I know what he's after, and you're right to have fought him. Now, we're going to do it again, and this time you won't be alone."

The young man swallowed uneasily, shaking some with his frustration, "How can you be sure? Hop's life—"

"I am not a man of infinite patience, Leon! Come forward now or else!"

She glanced at her companion, "Because men like him are all the same. Leon, do you trust me?"

"What?"

"Do you trust me?" she looked at him now, and he her. He waited a breath, then nodded. She ginned, "Good."

"But—'Cas, no; I can't ask you to do this—."

"I'm not offering my help. I'm giving it. You're my friend, 'Lee. And I'm not going to fail a friend again. So, listen: walk forward like you're surrendering. When you hear me shout, drop down immediately. Don't hesitate. I've got your back."

"Okay," he nodded, and, straightening himself, walked forward. He touched Charizard's side gently, sharing a look. The lizard-like Pokémon seemed to understand, growling unhappily but settling down. Leon murmured a soft "don't worry", before he raised his voice so the enemy could hear, "Stay put, Charizard. And 'Cas, you and your Pokémon stand down. I'm going to leave with him, and you can't come with me. Don't worry about me, okay? I'll be alright. He wants me alive."

"Excellent choice. I see your time in the wild has, miraculously, made you less savage," Swordward beamed, sheathing his sword. He grasped hold of his Braviary's feathers to hoist himself up onto its back. "Go grab him, my glorious Pokémon."

The large bird flapped its wings and lifted, hovering closer to Leon. The young man stopped, raising his arm to shield his eyes from the wind and snow being blown his way. The sharp claws came close, reading to wrap around his shoulders to take him away. He braced, hoping Cassandra really did have a plan.

"Spark!"

Leon dropped down—just in time for a yellow-black blur to shoot over where he'd been, electricity flaring across the area. He felt a static run across his skin, but the true power struck the Braviary straight in the chest. The bird shrieked in agony, it's type-weakness enhancing the pain. Swordward was shocked, too, eliciting a pained yelp as both toppled to the ground. The snow cushioned the fall, but the bird still writhed, the electrical currents not fading any time soon. It was paralyzed for sure. The man, however, struggled away, hair now unkempt and fury in his features. The sweet Boltund Leon had come to know over the last few days stood in front of him, hackles and tail raised high, sparks shooting off from its fur. The care-free Pokémon was gone, replaced with a seasoned fighter. It let loose snarls and barks and growls, ready for the next round. Not a moment later, Charizard and Arcanine were beside him, eager to fight. Then Cassandra was there as well, helping him up.

"Good. It worked. He was so focused on you he didn't notice Boltund. Now that bastard won't be flying anywhere any time soon."

"Y-you... you bitch!" Swordward howled, unsheathing his sword again. "How dare you strike your king!"

"I'm from Johto, bitch, and we don't have kings—especially not scum like you," she spat back, flipping her middle finger his way. He shrieked again and tore a pokéball from his hip. From it a Golisopod emerged; just as if not larger than the Braviary and far more fearsome. It shrilled at them, mandibles and smaller limbs twittering aggressively.

"Blast them away with Liquidation!"

"Shit, everyone get back!" the redhead shouted as the bug-type Pokémon suddenly surrounded itself in water and shot at them at high speeds. Charizard quickly dove for Leon, rolling away with him to safety. Arcanine moved just as fast to grab Cassandra by her hood and pull her aside. Only Boltund remained, electricity flaring from its fur to encase itself in nearly a bright ball of light and lunged at the incoming water.

"Boltund wait—!" she shouted, but it was done; the two elements collided, and while the Golisopod was stopped, body twitching as the current rushed through its form, her Pokémon was thrown back, toppling over backwards through the snow until it finally stopped. It was still for a moment, but then began to stand up, albeit weakly. It growled on its shaky legs, the blast doing a good deal of damage despite a type advantage. It was simply the superior attack power of the enemy Pokémon, Golisopod famous for their awesome strength. Cassandra didn't let it phase her, though, as she gestured, "Go, Arcanine! Keep it busy! You know what to do, but watch out for the water attacks!"

"Charizard, help him out!" Leon added. "Use aerial attacks!"

"You think you can team up on me?! Well two can play at that game!" their enemy bellowed and threw three more balls. From them emerged Sirfetch'd, Doublade, and a Bisharp.

"Shit. 'Cas, I only have Charizard," Leon grimaced, keeping close to her. She didn't look as worried, but he could tell she was tense as she quickly picked up her Boltund and moved back to where Corviknight was. She placed them by one another, and then untied her bag to toss it to him. Her hands found her pokéballs next. "Take care of them—I have plenty of full restores and full heals for cuts. I'll handle this asshole."

"But—."

"I told you, Leon. You're my friend. All this time you've been helping Galar, so now let me help you. My Pokémon won't fall so easy, and neither will your Charizard. But I need you to heal my guys there so I don't need to worry about them. That, and you can watch my six, alright?"

"...Alright. I can do that. Show him what Galar—and Johto—really thinks about wannabe kings!"

She smirked as she freed her remaining Pokémon, "Will do. Alright, guys, time to put an asshole in his place! Lucario stop that Bisharp! Lapras go after Sirfetch'd with your physic attacks!"

Lucario reacted first, needing only a moment to register the situation, and launched into battle. He shot towards the Bisharp, which aimed to slice through Arcanine's side as he took on the Golisopod. Her fighting Pokémon got their first. His paws clapped onto both sides of the bladed arms, stopping the Bisharp. Its movement paused, her fighter quickly released the blade and slammed a fierce Force Palm into its gut. The Pokémon cried out, thrown back quite a ways, rolling through the snow.

Behind him, Lapras could not move as easily, but she was no less capable. Cassandra had taught her plenty of useful moves, and with quick gesture from her trainer, Lapras activated Psychic. Eyes glowing, the water Pokémon's focus went to the Sirfetch'd, whom paused mid slash at Lucaio to squawk in pain, clutching at its head. It was in the throes of the Lapras' power, which it was weak against.

The Doublade remained, attempting to thwart the Charizard's assault on Golisopod with Arcanine. It was doing a good job, slashing and thrusting at the fire-type in the air. It managed a few scratches while receiving burns of its own, which served its greater purpose: leaving the four-legged fire-type alone to face the powerful water-bug-type Pokémon. Cassandra's team was certainly strong, but the enemy was, too, and the type match wasn't in their favor. In that, Tyranitar would play his role. Already he was angry with things, but upon emerging from it's ball and seeing the Corviknight hurt, cawing pitiful, the armor skinned Pokémon hissed with rage.

"Dark Pulse that sucker out of the sky, big guy," Cassandra growled with him, touching his side as she pressed forward. She didn't need to tell him twice. Dark energy formed around the Pokémon, a low rumble coming from the gut. Seconds later, he let loose a back pulse into the sky, aimed right for the Doublade. It hit home, and the Pokémon fell hard. Charizard looked back briefly and then rejoined Arcanine's efforts to dodge and strike at their enemy, heading commands thrown out by Leon every so often.

Beyond them, the man they called trainer watched, rage boiling in his expression. Swordward was losing, and he knew it. His Braviary was still out of commission, Boltund's assault having done what it needed. Sirfetch'd had finally been freed from Lapras' attack, but it was left weakened and disoriented. Bisharp sparred with Lucario, whom ducked and dodged, earned some cuts and slices in his fur, but then returned with Force Palms and other combative techniques that ultimately left the Pokémon downed and unable to go on. The Doublade made to continue fighting, but Tyranitar was on it by then, and sunk its dark-glowing fangs into the metal. The shriek it let out when it cracked was ear-piercing, and Cassandra had to make a command for her Pokémon to drop it. As much as she hated the man, the Pokémon didn't deserve to be broken like that, no matter how pissed her Tyranitar rightfully was.

That left the Golisopod, which was being pushed back by Arcanine and Charizard working in tandem; when one was forced to retreat, the other dove in, biting, blasting fire, or slashing with claws. It was too much for the Pokémon, which hissed and wailed and shot water this way and that or used bug or rock-based attacks, but to no avail. And once Lucario joined, kicking hard enough to knock it back so it almost lost balance, that was the end. With a final push, Arcanine used its extreme speed on her command to slam into the water-bug-type, shoving it hard into a nearby boulder on the edge of the cliff face. It dropped down to the snow and didn't get up.

Cassandra's Pokémon stood together, victorious before Swordward. Behind her, Leon let out a sigh of relief and sent a grin to the two Pokémon under his care. Their attacker however, was quite the opposite. His sword shook in his hand, eyes wide in uncertainty and fear now. He fell down to his knees. Cassandra kept her glare hot as she came closer, fingers clenched in fists.

"No—no, no, no! How can this be?!" the man rasped.

"Because you're no king. You're just another delusional fool who thinks he can oppress and control people using his Pokémon."

"How dare you! My brother and I are the chosen ones! We are the descendants of the true kings of Galar! We are destined to rule! We are—," he shrieked, but was cut short when her fist slammed into his face. He toppled back, stupefied, and clutched his bleeding nose. "You—you—you—you hit me! Me! Your king!"

"I told you: I'm Johto-jin, and we have no king! And neither do Galarians. You're done, and when we find where you're keeping Hop and Gloria, we're taking your whole organization down," she hissed, turning on her heel as she shook her smarting hand. "Let's go, guys. It's time we—."

"'Cas, look out!"

The redhead spun around in time just as a flash of metal came at her. She dodged the initial thrust through pure luck, but then Swordward pivoted, and hot pain flared through her side as red splattered against the pristine white. She staggered, hand touching her side. It came back covered in red, hot fluid.

He'd cut her. He'd actually cut her with his sword. That had never happened before. No one she'd fought had ever actually physically harmed her or at least been able to because their Pokémon had done the fighting. Yet, there was his sword, blood—her blood—dripping from it, and madness in his eyes. She thought she heard someone screaming, but she wasn't sure. Her ears were ringing along with the pounding of her heart in her head. Time slowed when she looked at the man again, just as he raised his sword—to kill her, no doubt.

The air shook with a incredible bellow, and from the snow drift a massive, looming shape emerged behind the man. She vaguely knew what it was and almost laughed when the creature slapped the sword-wielding man away with it's large, clawed hand. He tumbled down the slope and lay still for a time, flecks of red showered around him and on the path he'd flung. She could not ponder on him long, though, as the air suddenly grew cold.

Alpha, in all her fearsome glory, had decided she would endure their presence no longer; their fight surely endangering her Snover. As such, she summoned a terrible wind that chilled them to the bone. It was so strong and great that her Pokémon had to duck down to avoid being blown over. Cassandra, however, could not find the strength to steady herself and so stumbled and toppled backwards, unable to find footing in the snow until, suddenly, there was none. Air was all that was beneath her and she fell down to the icy pond below.

She didn't recall when she hit, breaking through the thin ice, her consciousness leaving her just before.

---------

AN: So, like I said, AU. Swordward and Shielbert do NOT have those RIDICULOUS hairdos. Just... no xD They're also basically psychopaths because they're crazy. No comical storylines here for them :p Also, I gave them Braviaries because otherwise I saw no way for them to get everywhere BEFORE me all the dang time... 'cause no way some Taxi would take those freaks xD Anyways, yay for some real action and a look into the new and improved king descendant baddies ;)

Oh, and yeah, 'Cas is kinda dying lmao

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 1 5
More adventurous Pokemon story with a deep interesting plot with original OCs and fan favourite characters. This is an original plot and a bunch of...
109K 4K 80
A 10-year-old boy, with a goal to become a Pokemon Champion, sets out on a journey across the Kanto Region. A journey charged with friendships, fun...
1.8K 281 93
When failed actress Chalcedony gives up on the neon lights and crowds to challenge the Orre League, it isn't just the champion title she's after. She...
1.9K 92 24
"There are Pokémon that wish to do good...and there are those who desire harm. The line between the two is often blurred and sometimes, it is only by...