Champion's Sword, Galar's Shi...

By TMWolf

Cassandra came to Galar running from a past she couldn't bring herself to face. Leon was running from his fa... More

01 - Encounter
02 - Warmth
03 - Fishing
05 - Sword
06 - Fear
07 - Haven
08 - Vulnerable
09 - Heist
10 - Rose
11 - Trials
12 - Plans
13 - Tribulations
14 - Rescue
15 - Reprieve
16 - Beloved (18+)
17 - Blood
18 - Aftermath Part I
19 - Aftermath II
20 - Reunions
Epilogue
Sequel

04 - Talks

1.8K 49 42
By TMWolf

AN: You know what? This is technically a romance fic and since this chapter helps bring 'em closer... so I'm late, but: Happy Valentine's Day ;) Also check out the chapter title image! I plan to add them now, including previous chapters. Maybe. We'll see xD I'm pretty busy lol They have something to do with the chapter. Sometimes serious, sometimes not. Definitely not this time around.

------

The hours of fishing passed faster than either of them expected, turning daylight into evening with the time taken up by reeling in enough fish to keep full for days, and endless talk of anything and everything that came to mind. Jokes and laughs filled the in-between and Leon was proud when he finally got her to fluster at a tease of his own. He was determined to do so again, if only to match her wins against him. Most of all, though, he just enjoyed sharing the laughs. He hadn't done so much in so long, even when he was home. At least, not like this; not so openly. In truth, he probably shouldn't be candid with a stranger he barely knew, yet she didn't hold back, and neither did he—expect for the one secret he kept close; the one to keep her safe.

If she had caught on, she didn't seem to mind, and for that he was grateful. Perhaps it was because she understood the burden of it, although that was probably a good reason to tell her, but he couldn't. He wouldn't. How could he call himself even a former Champion if he had to rely on someone from a foreign land to deal with their problems here? So he kept it to himself, and was glad when they rode back—there was no more time to let something slip, and their return kept them busy as she worked to prep the fish and have her Lapras seal them with an ice beam in the back of the cave. With that done, though, there was only time to sit around the fire once more, or at least he did. Cassandra busied herself with rummaging through the tent, until, at last, she let out an "eureka".

"Here, try this on," she smirked proudly, holding out a rather large, bulky jacket. He was skeptical, but it actually fit, albeit a little too snugly. It was warmer than just the blanket, though, and he relished in the comfort of it. She sat, quite happy with herself, "I thought I had that in there buried somewhere. I don't have the pants to go with, but at least your torso is warm?"

He chuckled, "I'll survive. Why do you even have one this big—it must be huge on you."

"I 'borrowed' it from my uncle and forgot to give it back. He hasn't seemed to notice... for five years," she shrugged, earning a laugh.

"Well, send him my thanks next you see him."

She snickered, "Might be a while."

"You're staying here?"

"Maybe? To be honest, I'm not sure what my plans are beyond this. Or, well, I'll be heading back to Hammerlocke at some point soon for resupply since it's closest, but..."

"You don't want to go home?"

"I mean—no, that's not exactly it or..." she began, rubbing the back of her neck awkwardly. He could see she struggled with the answer. "I'm just... not ready to go back yet, I guess? Still have a lot to see and do."

The answer sounded half-true—if only because he was used to giving those kinds of answers all the time. He decided not to pry.

Instead, he grinned, "Any other regions you want to conquer?"

"Kalos, probably. I haven't checked out any others much," she shrugged, then waved. "Anyways, what about you? You're running the Battle Tower, right? What do you want it to end up being?"

"Well, it's about what I wanted it to be now. My dream when I was Champion hasn't really changed, just my method to make it happen, I guess you could say. I do want to see everyone in Galar become strong trainers and people in general; I want to see them overcome every obstacle, and form deep bonds with their Pokémon. Battling has always been one of the best ways, and, well, I've been battling my whole life so I don't know how to do much else. Not that it's helped much lately."

"How so?" she frowned.

"Ah, it's... y'know," he started, rubbing his own neck now. Like him, she sensed the struggle.

"It's fine if you don't want to—."

He waved, "No, it's fine. I'm more... embarrassed. Or disappointed, I don't know. I just.. ever since the fight with Eternatus and then losing to Gloria right after... things just haven't felt the same. I don't feel as strong as I used to."

"Isn't that normal, though?" she mused, but he only shrugged. "You grew up unbeatable. If I were you, I'd feel pretty weird and definitely crummy for losing like that, especially to someone so much younger."

"Maybe, but it's just... The fight with Eternatus... I should have... But I... And... the Chairman...," he sighed, running both hands over his face and through his hair. "He betrayed me—the people. All of us. And I didn't notice. I was too caught up in the Challenge. I let him get away with something terrible, and then I couldn't even fix my mistake. I had to rely on my brother and his friend—just kids!"

Leon didn't know why he was saying it or even anything about it. It was stupid, complaining like he was. The region had been saved and Gloria was just a better trainer, as much as his pride hated to admit it. She was a good kid, and had worked hard to become not only the Hero of Galar, but it's new Champion. She belonged in that role. He was far past his time.

"You blame yourself because even though you did everything you could... it wasn't enough."

The young man's head shot up, golden eyes wide. Cassandra wasn't looking at him; she couldn't bring herself to. Instead, she focused on the fire, and let him think what he would.

"You...," he started, uncertainty lingering in his voice.

She did look at over at him then and reached over to place her hand on the one he braced on the floor.

She smiled gently, "Yeah, I understand."

Leon felt his chest tighten as his heart raced. A chill ran through him, though not for the cold. It was a silly thing to feel over such simple words, and yet—they weren't so simple were they? Was he really that pitiful, though? To be moved so strongly by such a thing; by empathy? Surely, that what it was, and he could hardly fathom how she could feel the same, and yet, he supposed, of all people, she might.

Cassandea had traveled so many regions and seen so much, and she had things she couldn't bring herself to say, too, didn't she? She probably knew failure, the kind that ate you and drove you mad. It was selfish of him, but he was glad. Gloria he couldn't possibly say anything to. He couldn't tell Hop about it, either—he didn't dare let his brother fret—and Sonia was too busy with her own life and worried about him enough as it was. His mother, of course, he'd never tell even if it killed him, and that left, well, no one really. He could only do whatever he could think to do to make up for his mistake, and he supposed the Battle Tower was part of that. Along with making other trainers stronger, it was a way to improve himself, too. After all, he was no longer undefeated and he'd yet to beat Gloria there either.

"What... did you do for it?"

"Everything you shouldn't," she chuckled, hand pulling back and her hazel eyes falling. His gut urged him to pry—to help her as she had him, but he didn't. He had no right. That, or maybe he was just too stubborn or too scared to know the answer, he couldn't say.

She sighed, "Anyways, looks like the fish soup is ready, so let's eat, and then we can either talk or get some more sleep."

"Probably sleep. I still feel tired easily," he chuckled, glad for the change in topic.

"You're still regaining your strength. So go on and eat and rest."

"Staying up late again?"

She grinned, winking "To clean up. Don't worry, though, I'll be there to cuddle with you soon."

Leon snickered, managing not to blush this time. He was steadily getting better at enduring her teases, which were quite useful in easing the tension. He'd had to get her back later somehow. Who knew pretending to flirt could be so fun? No wonder Raihan played it up with his fans.

"Can't resist my charms?"

"What can I say? Not every day a girl gets to sleep with a guy with a hot bod."

"You think I'm hot?" he smirked, and it grew to shit-eating levels when she realized her slip and blushed with a pout.

"Careful, or you're sleeping by the fire buster."

"Hard to cuddle me out here."

She lifted her head haughtily, "I've survived this long."

"Now you're being stubborn," he pouted.

"Now you're being presumptuous."

He grinned, "Now you're just teasing me."

"And now you are acting like Raihan," she quipped, jabbing a finger

"Hey, now! I am far better than Raihan. And he's not actually that much of a flirt. Kind of."

"You sure about that?"

"...Okay he can be a flirt when he's not focusing on the Gym Challenge. I'll give you that."

"Uh-huh. Well, do me a favor and stay Leon—I like him better."

He smirked again, "So you like me, huh?"

Again, she blushed, but this time threw her pack at him. He only laughed, handing it back to her. She took it with a huff.

"Yeah, you're taking after him alright."

He raised a brow, "Wait, how do you know—Oh no. Don't tell me he flirted with you?"

"Thankfully, no. Rather, there's blogs all about it that come up when you search for him trying to do research on how you want to set up your team. His fangirls are practically stalkers."

"I'm... I'm not even surprised," Leon chuckled, shaking his head.

"Anyways, eat your food you cheeky, bastard, and get some sleep. I'll be in there later," she scoffed, taking up her bowl of food. She glanced to her right, and noted her Pokémon were staring. Arcanine was even smirking of all things, and if Lucario were human, she bet he'd be raising a brow. Honestly, what was with everyone being so cheeky? Okay, yes, she'd made some cheeky comments herself, but did her Pokémon have to be giving her looks, too?

She hissed a soft "shut up" to all of them and managed to enjoy a decent—and quiet—meal. Leon bid her goodnight then, his exhaustion beginning to visibly show. He'd probably be better by tomorrow, but today he retired to the tent, where Charizard once again curled close on the outside. Cassandra let out a sigh of relief then, and mentally shook herself for behaving like such a schoolgirl! Honestly, what was she thinking, throwing those flirty jabs his way? She didn't even really mean them, or she didn't mean to mean them, but then he'd throw them back and, and it was fun.

Arceus help her, she'd been away from people too long. One quick-witted guy and her heart was racing and her face was on fire. She needed to face reality, though. He was going to be leaving as soon as Charizard was ready, which would be in a matter of days, and that was that. They probably wouldn't see each other again. He was a former Champion and Battle Tower owner. She was a multi-regional Champion living like a hermit because she didn't want to deal with her problems. She needed to stop being so comfortable, but it was hard. She could see him hurting underneath it all, and it made her want to help him even more.

That, and, well, she did like him. As a friend, of course. Or she hoped as a friend. She wouldn't mind a friend, but even then she needed to be careful. Attachments only led to hurt, and all she really needed was her Pokémon. Friends only brought back painful memories.

Sighing with groan, Cassandra finished her food, cleaned up the camp site, sat down to work on some of her research notes for an hour or so longer, then bid her Pokémon goodnight, and finally retired to bed. She spared Leon one last glance, glad to see him resting better, and endured her own night of restless sleep, plagued by fleeting images of warm smiles and red stains.

---

Leon woke briefly, noting the cave had grown darker, although the fire was still lit. The growling-snores of Pokemon reached his ears, one of which was his Charizard's. He had woken on his back and turned his head to where Cassandra lay, her back to him. He should have felt strange with a woman sleeping next to him in the same tent—in some ways, he did—but he found it eased him instead. To an extent. It was probably just his selfishness, though; the need for someone to understand, which she did. She knew the guilt that ate him like a poison that he didn't know how to heal.

He thought to ask Cassandra, but in the end he knew he was too cowardly to do so-not when she seemed to be burdened by her own problems. Like him, she faked a lot of her smiles. They never quite reached the eyes except moments like when she was flustered. Those were genuine, he knew, just as his were. He should have pressed her about her; to try and help her, but he didn't, and he assumed her too polite to not do the same to him. It made them quite the pair, but, at the very least, he was glad she understood.

He was also glad he'd met her, if only because of the empathy. It was pathetic, he knew, but he let it ease his mind that night, and to take a greater joy in her presence and her Pokémon who were as loyal as his Charizard was to him. They all loved her so fiercely. It made him want to battle her, funnily enough, to see the care she'd put into her Pokémon, but he would save that for a time they were all safe; a time after he finally returned home and stopped the ones who attacked him. Then, he would come back here and see not only what she had to offer as a trainer, but perhaps as a friend.

He wanted to think of her as one, anyways, even if it had only been a few days.

For now, though, he settled for showing her as much of who he was as a person and prayed both that Charizard would take his time healing... and that his enemies would not come for him.

In both, his prayers would ultimately be unanswered, but he could never know what was to come as he closed his eyes and slumbered once more.

---------

The next morning...

Cassandra didn't recall having a body pillow in her tent, but it was comfortably warm and made her want to go right back to sleep. Then she remembered she definitely didn't have a body pillow and opened her eyes.

She was holding Leon.

He was the body pillow.

And he was awake.

Needlessly to say, her face was on fire as she stared, wide-eyed at him. His golden irises stared back, and he had the most shit-eating grin on his face that she had ever seen before. She let go immediately, sitting up, and he just laughed of all things.

"Oh my Arceus—I'm so sorry, I didn't—."

"Don't worry, I won't hold it against you. It was pretty funny, actually," he snickered, sitting up himself. "My brother used to do it when we shared a room, although he was a bit clingier."

"Still, wow, I think I might go throw myself off the mountain now."

He laughed, "Please, don't."

"Then do me a favor and forget that happened," she groaned, busying herself with finding some clothes to wear. "How are you feeling, by the way?"

"Besides felt up?" he smirked and she shot him glare. Snickering, he continued, "Better. A lot better. Could handle a proper workout I think."

"Sadly, I don't have a weight rack here, but you could aways go for a walk—the snow will make it a workout, trust me. But, I'm glad you feel better. Because now you need to get out," she chuckled, earning a look. She held up her clothes. "I need to change."

"Oh! Right. Do you want me to let your Pokemon out?"

"What? No? I don't put them into their balls?"

He frowned, brows scrunched, "Isn't it too cold? I'm sure Charizard wishes he were back in his during the night."

"Well, the fire is always going 'cause one of them keeps watch, but to be honest they're all probably cuddled around Arcanine—or he might have around Charizard. They like it better than being cooped up."

"...Really?" he inquired, incredulous.

She grinned, "Yep. Go have a peek. 'Cause I still need to change."

"What? I don't get a peek, too?" he smirked.

"Oh my Arceus, get out, you weirdo. I don't need your flirting this early," she scoffed, slapping him with her thermal shirt. He laughed as he lifted an arm to defend himself.

"Who says it's flirting?"

She rolled her eyes, her tone sarcastic, "Leon, we're both mature adults. Well, I am, but I think we're more than capable of exchanging playful flirtations to lighten the mood and not make a big deal out of it."

"Fair enough, but I'll have you know I am a fully mature adult. I just choose not to be," he winked, chuckling as he finally unzipped the tent and slipped out. He made sure to bring his coat with him, and looked to where he knew Charizard had been resting, and couldn't stop his laugh. Cassandra had been right: they'd formed a pile of Pokémon lying together by the tent. Arcanine was in the middle of sorts, essentially being used a radiator. Even Charizard had taken up a spot, his tail being used for warmth, too. It was a sight to see, though, with the Corviknight and Boltund lying on Arcanine's stomach, the larger beast rolled on its back. Lapras had her face nestled in its mane, and Lucario had the tail. Only Tyranitar was missing, keeping watch at the entrance.

Leon had a feeling the Pokémon's pride would never let him cuddle the Arcanine, even if it killed him.

What a strange crew they were.

"Well, you were right," he hummed as Cassandra finally left the tent, wearing a different colored long sleeve from yesterday, but the same thicker jacket. She'd put on her hat and goggles, too, and a different pack from the usual one. "You heading out?"

"Yeah, looks like the weather is clear out and my pokegear says it should stay this way for a while. And, y'know, when I'm not rescuing wayward former Champions, I do work in these mountains. I don't stay just for fun you know."

"You camp out here... for fun."

"Well, maybe not fun, but it's a good way to get away, and research Pokémon in environments people rarely get to," she shrugged, and then quickly whistled. The pile of Pokémon jolted up, torn from their comfortable sleep, but quickly began to move to her side, save Larpas who only yawned and lounged lazily, her body difficult to move on land. Charizard was a bit lazy to rise himself, yawning and scratching his belly, but then lumbered over to rest his head on Leon's.

His trainer reached up to rub his Pokémon's head, "What do you do exactly? Since you're not a professor—are you sure about that by the way?"

"Very sure. I only started doing it when I began camping out here or in the Wild Area. I was sketching Pokémon when I noticed the little nuances. I wrote them down, and I don't remember exactly how, but I had gotten into contact with Professor Magnolia. I think I was asking about a particular evolution of Zigzagoon and it's differences with Hoenn, and she was surprised when I mentioned some unusual behavior I noticed," the redhead hummed, all while giving attention to each of her Pokémon. Treats were soon to follow. "From there I just kinda... kept in contact, exchanging information which she would share . Then the academic part of the League decided they would pay me, and so I kept doing it. Eventually I went up here after hearing it was rarely explored.

She moved to the fire to begin prepping breakfast, and continued, "All the Pokémon are known, but they behave a bit different due to the more difficult environment. I was asked to try and see what I could find, and it's been going well-ish so far."

"Well-ish?"

"The wild Pokémon here are a lot more aggressive than on the main path where they're more accustomed to humans and have more resources."

"But your Pokémon can handle it—like Tyranitar, right?" he mused, and she nodded.

"Yep, you remembered. Anyways, it won't take long. I'm just going down to the valley today to watch the Darumaka and Darmanitan. They're ice-types here, but in Unova they're fire, so there's quite a lot of interest in how the variation might have happened, and also the differences in behavior."

"Wait—really? There's Darumaka in other regions?" he inquired, eyes wide with curiosity.

She chuckled, "Yep! You know Vulpix? Apparently there's an ice-type in another region somewhere, too. I forgot exactly where, but the Darumaka aren't the first instance of opposite type changes. The Zigzagoon was the other, being dark types... and Hoennian versions don't have a third evolution, it stops at Linoone."

"Your work is actually pretty interesting. Although, I'm surprised a Champion is doing it."

"It's... something to keep busy, I guess, and it is interesting. Even Pokémon of the same species that look the same have subtle differences. Like Arcanine. Ones here in Galar tend to have lighter fur."

"Do they have blue eyes in Johto, too?" he asked, pointing to her Pokémon, who blinked said eyes at him.

"Actually, no—I think it was a genetic mutation. It's just aesthetic, though. He's not any stronger than any other Arcanine of the same experience level. Maybe more lovable, but I'm probably biased," she winked, rubbing her Pokémon's ear and giving him a kiss on the brow. She received an affectionate lick in return.

"What about Charizard?" Leon grinned, tugging his lizard's head down to rest on his shoulder.

She hummed thoughtfully, though waited to pass out breakfast before she answered, "I think so. Or, well, I'm going based off what I'm seeing right now. Your Charizard is at least ten years, right?"

"Yep. At least ten."

"Well, they're not exactly common in Johto or Kanto either, except at Charicific Valley. I only got to visit a few days, but the Charizards there are definitely bigger. I don't know how much older they were than yours, though, but they certainly had more size. Their firepower was intense, too, but I think your Charizard is faster. Oh, and lighter colored. If I'd say anything... your Charizard is better suited to close, fast combat, while those from Johto are better in overpowering with special attacks. That, and you can make yours gigantic. No Johto Charizards can or at least haven't ever done that. No Pokémon has there actually, or anywhere outside Galar, really."

He laughed, "You mean Gigantamax? Wait, don't tell me—you've never done it? Or at least Dynamax"

"I don't even know how you do it."

"Huh... yeah I guess you'd need a band anyways and those aren't just on the market," he mused, rubbing his chin. She noted his stubble had begun to show on the rest of his jawline, and quickly stifled any silent mention that it made him look better in her opinion. Instead, she focused on finishing her meal quickly.

"Alright, well, I'll be heading out with... Arcanine and... Lucario today. Tyranitar, you hold the fort with Leon here," she listed out, earning affirmative sounds all around.

Leon stood up, "Actually, I'll come with. I'd like to see what you do in person."

"Uh, I mean, it's kinda boring to most people. You'll be sitting in snow like with fishing, too, and as I recall you kept mentioning your bum was freezing?" she mused, brow raised.

"I'll be fine—I just need an extra blanket. Besides, I'll go to go stir crazy if I stay in here. Is it close enough Charizard could come along?"

"Hmm... technically he could walk, but coming back up the slope would be rough..."

Charizard groaned, looking away in a sulk. Leon just smiled and pet him gently, promising maybe another time when his wing was better. Cassandra regarded the young man, hands folded across her chest. He just gave her a confident look back.

"You really want to come with me?"

"Yeah! I'd like to learn more about the Pokémon. I thought I knew enough from just battling them and their trainers, but obviously not."

She sighed, "Alright, alright. You're going to be too stubborn to not follow me, anyways, and I'm guessing you'll somehow manage to get lost even when it's just down the way."

"Normally, I'd protest that, but... seeing as how it works in my favor...," he grinned impishly and retreated to the tent to grab two blankets.

She snorted, "Well, now maybe I shouldn't take you."

"Yeah, but you will. You're too nice to say no to this pretty face. And I do want to learn more."

"...Ugh, you are insufferable. Alright, well, come on then. Lucario, in you go. Arc, let's get out and get going. But if Leon here gets obnoxious, just knock him off."

"Wha—hey! And here I thought you were nice!"

She lifted her head haughtily, "Ha! You think you actually know me? I assure you, dear sir, I am an enigma. As are all women. Men only wished they could know their heart and mind.

Cassandra paused to turn a skeptical eye on him, "Or are you one of those guys that only ever thinks of Pokemon and nothing else?"

"...Maybe," he mumbled back, but grinned when she shook her head with the roll of the eyes.

"Of course. I'm sure all your lady fans have been devastated."

"Probably. Haven't exactly had time," he snickered as he followed her out with her Arcanine. She turned back to wish the rest of her Pokemon goodbye and to be good, Charizard included. The lizard snorted.

"Yeah, I guess I can see that. The media's never mentioned you had a girlfriend, and if they assume every woman Raihan hugs is his girl, they'd go nuts if you had one."

"You checked to see if I had a girlfriend?" he smirked, and she couldn't help her embarrassed blush as she balked at him.

"I—what, no! I just... never remember anything about it whenever I read or listened to the news in town. Good grief. Just get on," she grumbled, hopping onto Arcanine's back. Leon followed in suit, settling behind her and hands on the side of her waist.

"Sorry, couldn't help myself."

"Uh-huh. Well, like I said, I guess I get it. Even back home being a Champion is work," she mused, nudging Arcanine into a trot down the slope.

"Oh yeah? No time for boyfriends then?"

"Well, not for lack of trying—not that it's any of your business," she quipped.

He laughed, "Hey now, I answered about me. It's only fair."

"Ah aha ah, a ladies' business is her business and hers alone. Not even you are privy to it unless she allows."

"Well, then I am honored to be given such privilege."

"Okay, now I'm sure Raihan's been rubbing off on you," she scoffed, and he laughed again.

They came to a ledge overseeing the continuation of the slope further down, and a devious glint came in her eyes. She nudged Arcanine just slightly, gesturing with her head enough so he would see. A foolish grin came over his furry mug, and he backed up to where he could get a running start. Before Leon could ask, her Pokemon darted forward and leaped right over the edge. He let out a curse and clamped his arms tight around her as they fell—and landed on a firm surface of snow. The jump had been nothing for Arcanine, though, who kicked off again and into a light jog on the more gradually decline they'd come to. All the while, Cassandra laughed.

"Okay, that wasn't fair," her companion huffed, still clinging tight.

"I couldn't resist—you've been far too sassy lately," she smirked.

"Hey! You started it. I've just been dishing it back."

"Is that pouting I hear? Tsk tsk. Who knew Galar's former Champion was such a big baby deep down?"

"And who knew Johto's Champion was such a mean trickster. Honestly, I should complain. I feel so harrassed!"

"Pfft, go ahead. I'd say my connections to Lance are more than enough to clear my name."

He sounded surprised, "You know him that well?"

"I've been working for the League pretty much since I first became Champion. I kind of helped stop Team Rocket, so I proved pretty useful."

"Wait, wait, wait—you stopped Team Rocket?"

"Kinda. It was really some kid called Red about three years before I took the Gym Challenge who brought them down in Kanto, but they tried to start up again in Johto, even took a radio station hostage. They'd been doing things before that, like killing Slowpoke for their tails—fuck them for that, so glad I kicked their asses—and then forcing Magikarp to evolve at Lake of Rage, but Lance and I stopped that—."

"Lance. The Indigo Champion. You and him worked together before winning?"

She glanced back, "Uh, yeah? I mean, okay, I didn't know he was the Champion then, but we teamed up, found their secret hideout, and stopped that crap in Mahagony Town. Then the Radio Tower situation happened, and, well, that was the end of them after I beat their executive. Giovanni never returned, and Silver picked up the pieces a year or two later."

"Uh, wow. Anymore crazy organization-fighting secrets I should know about?"

"Team Galactic. And, um... Team Plasma."

Leon meant to display his disbelief, but has to pause at the second team name. He hadn't heard of them, but he hadn't missed how she said it. It was off. She had less vigor in it, and he couldn't help wondering why.

"So," he coughed instead. "Three organization. You beat them all?"

"With help, but... yeah. They threatened the regions, and I was in a position to help... so with my track record, the League kind of likes me enough they support me and ask me to help in situations that are difficult for regular trainers."

"I admit... I didn't expect that."

She laughed, "Why's that?"

"You're just so... humble. About all of it. We don't get a lot of news from across the pond, but, you'd think we'd know your name when you've taken out three evil syndicates."

"It's because they keep it on the down low. They don't want the populace knowing too much about them if they can help it, and naming me would make me a target, too. The less I'm known, the easier it is for me to deal with things or infiltrate if there's some other gang causing problems."

"Wait—is that why you came here then? To stop Rose?"

Arcanine stopped at that point, crouching down. Cassandra followed his gaze, and gave him a good pat on the side. He'd found their quarry just below, in an area where the snow wasn't as thick and grass was abundant, though the roots were buried in white. A variety of trees ran along the river pushing through the section along with a handful of exposed rocks. She reckoned they had a den nearby, especially when winter-resistant bushes with berries were around. Their motley crew was far enough away to not be seen, and the wind was blowing their way, keeping their scents from being found.

"Alright, we'll set up here—just in those rocks so we're a little harder to see. There's bound to be a Darmanitan leader around, but if those Darumaka haven't been spooked we're clear," she explained, shuffling over to some outcrops dusted in white. She settled down with her Pokémon, who gave them a warm, soft pillow to lay on like before. Leon sat next to her, wrapping the blanket around them both. She pulled out her notebook, ready to write as she observed.

After a few moments, he pressed, "So..?"

"Hmm? Oh! No, that's not why I cam here. I doubt the League knew anything about what he was doing—at least, the foreign leagues, anyways. Yours I don't know. We don't keep in contact much. All I knew about Rose was what the public saw, to be honest."

"So you just came for the Challenge and to... get away?"

"Yeah, something like that," she shrugged. He decided not to press. He could tell she had nothing more she wanted to give—like he didn't.

"Any other crazy things I should know about you then? Don't tell me you've encountered Legendary Pokemon, too?"

She didn't hesitate, "Yeeeep. I caught one."

Once again, he'd have spit out a drink if had one. Instead, he made a loud "what", that she quickly silenced by slapping her hand to his face. They both glanced down to the white-furred Darumaka, but they remained unawares. The redhead sighed with relief and kept her voice low as she jotted down some notes.

"Yes, I caught one. Suicine, a water-type, and part of the legendary beasts trio of Johto. Raikou and Entei are the other two, electric and fire. For some reason Suicine thought I was a worthy trainer, so after a few encounters we fought, and I caught them. I've met more than that, though, but I didn't catch them, except... one other."

Again, she trailed off, her tone making him glance to her. He didn't miss the swirl of emotions in her hazel eyes. That pain there, hidden in her face? He knew it, too.

No wonder she understood him.

"Anyways, Sinnoh had a lot, which I had to contend with thanks to Team Galactic, but didn't catch them. Unova had it's share, and Hoenn does, too, although they appeared after I left. Some other Hoenn Champion handled that mess, but they've kept one of them I'm pretty sure"

"Wow... I think I'm getting jealous."

"Ugh, don't. It's honestly so much trouble. I was lucky Suicune was my first, and then the two birds back home were pretty much doing their thing. The ones in Kanto have been missing for a while so they weren't a big deal. The rest have been such a paaaaain."

"Ha! You'd have liked Zacian and Zamazenta, I bet."

"I'll take your word for it. So, yeah. I've had an interesting Champion experience, I'm not here on some secret League mission, and I've had to deal with lots of Pokémon. If anything, this is kind of a vacation."

"Can't argue there," he chuckled, pulling the blanket a little closer. Arcanine noticed and began to breathe warm air inside. "Even after losing my title, I keep busy. Running the Tower and all, which I do love. It's probably on of the best things I've done, and I do like helping Gloria adjust to her new position, but—."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me, 'Lee," she chuckled softly, nudging him with her shoulder. "I saw how busy you were as Champion. I'm personally surprised you never collapsed from all the exhaustion. You're like me, though—we keep busy. We need things to do; it's just in our nature, so we do it, and we forget to take a break. I mean, I'm not sure I'd really count this as a break, but... it's a breather, I guess, until you need to get back."

'To whatever is that sent you out here' she silently added, still wondering what it was. If only he would just tell her.

"Yeah, I guess it is," he hummed softly, closing his eyes as a cool breeze came through. Its icy touch pricked at his nose, but he found he didn't mind right now. He rarely got a chance to enjoy anything so simple these days. His guilt and need to do something—to be something made sure of it. He was a hopeless mess, and he could only assume so was she in her own way. Although, frankly, she sounded like she had her shit together far better than he did.

"You can sleep if you want. I normally don't talk, to be honest, although I have enjoyed our conversations. Truthfully, I've missed it—especially with someone who's so passionate about Pokemon," she chuckled, and he opened an eye to look at her. She smiled at him, gaze gentle, and he felt warmth growing in his cheeks. Then she looked away and he could pretend it was nothing. He continued to watch her, though, while she kept vigil on the small ice-type Pokémon below. He wondered what she was thinking, taking her notes and making little drawings.

He wondered if she was just doing this to avoid her own problems, too?

"Tell me about them—what you found out. I've loved to hear."

Cassandra looked, surprised, but then recalled how attentive he was earlier. Even not being a proper academic, she found it endearing he was sincere in his curiosity. Not many outside professors cared, and she honestly wouldn't have expected it from him. Granted, she didn't expect many to take an interest in what she did or who she was these days—in part her own doing—and with it being so long since she'd actually kept such talkative company, it was nice. A lot more than she thought it would be.

"Alright, just let me know when you get bored. That, or you can tell me some interesting things about Galar and its people."

"Only if you tell me more about Johto and Kanto and the other regions."

"Deal. So... what do you want to know about the little guys?" she grinned, and he asked anything he could think of.

So began a long, enjoyable day of talking of anything and everything again, and both found it was one of the better times they'd had in a long while.

------

AN: Long, I know... as I usually do. Originally was two separate chapters, but 2k words felt too short so here we are xD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98 0 27
Story started on DeviantArt. Pokémon fanfiction of one of my favorite Mystery Dungeon Series: Explorers of Sky ~ Arc 1 Time: *Completed* Waking up in...
687 8 12
1. Why not? I rewrote this for fun. 2. I want to see how much I have improved. I reread my first book and I'm cringing at my younger 11-year-old self...
12.4K 546 46
Requests: CLOSED! Hi there! Ever wanted to know how Leon would react to your confession seconds before death? Or what would happen if Lillie fell dow...
109K 4K 80
A 10-year-old boy, with a goal to become a Pokemon Champion, sets out on a journey across the Kanto Region. A journey charged with friendships, fun...