Champion's Sword, Galar's Shi...

By TMWolf

Cassandra came to Galar running from a past she couldn't bring herself to face. Leon was running from his fa... More

01 - Encounter
02 - Warmth
04 - Talks
05 - Sword
06 - Fear
07 - Haven
08 - Vulnerable
09 - Heist
10 - Rose
11 - Trials
12 - Plans
13 - Tribulations
14 - Rescue
15 - Reprieve
16 - Beloved (18+)
17 - Blood
18 - Aftermath Part I
19 - Aftermath II
20 - Reunions
Epilogue
Sequel

03 - Fishing

1.9K 47 33
By TMWolf

Cassandra blew her cup of hot chocolate gently as she stepped out into the morning light, or what little of it was getting through the clouds. The blizzard was gone  at least, and any snow fall had ebbed, finally giving them some reprieve. Already Boltund and Corviknight frolicked through the snow, throwing it at one another in as close to a snowball fight as they could get. Lucario was far better in that regard, although he had opted to running about and stretching his legs. Arcanine, too, had gone off for a sprint around the area, his speed and energy levels requiring a far broader range to satisfy his needs. Tyranitar, of course, stood watch near by the entrance, keen eyes always scanning the horizon; experienced nose scenting the air. He'd always been the vigilant type, brought on by the harsh lesson that gave him the deformed X-shaped scar on his brow during his Larvitar years so long ago. Lapras, meanwhile, happily snoozed in the cave, any water source still unavailable to her right now. Hopefully they could find a thin spot in some pond or the lake further north. It was normally iced over, but not every spot was thick—they could break it open for her.

It would probably require the sun to finally show, though. The blizzard could start back up at anytime, so she made sure to have her Pokémon make the most of it. Glancing back, she noted Leon was still sleeping in the tent. She wasn't surprised. He'd been stressed and still weak from his injuries, and even now he was anxious about whatever danger he was in. Instinctively, she wanted to help. It was all she had done back home and in every region she explored, be it helping people or Pokémon. She'd managed to subdue that urge some her, keeping to just injured Pokémon, but she felt it prickling. It was part of her nature, she'd been told once. But she shouldn't—not this time. He didn't want her to help, which meant she should keep out of it. She just a random camper in the mountains. That was all.

A rumble echoed from the cave and she looked to the Charizard, which had finally stirred. He yawned, stretching some before standing up. He did so carefully, though, making sure Leon went undisturbed. The beast shivered, getting out any last shakes, and walked towards the entrance to join her. He basked in the cool air, eyes closed, and tail firmly behind to avoid any extra cold. Her Tyranitar made a grunt-sound, to which the Charizard chuffed, almost indignantly in her opinion. She imagined it was right by the way the green-colored Pokémon snorted with a shake of the head. When Cassandra looked back to the fire-type she noted he was scenting the air, wings slightly erect.

"You can go fly—it's safe right now. We'll look after Leon until your back," she explained. The Charizard turned his head her way, rumbled softly, and then stepped further out. Scenting the wind again, he stretched his wings out wide—and winced with a sharp hiss. The left wing pulled back quickly and he tried to reach back to nuzzle at it, but could not quite reach. Cassandra was beside him instantly, pausing before a touch to meet its gaze. He nodded, and she gently began to prod around until he hissed and snarled at her. Tyranitar was quick to growl back in kind, spikes and tail lifting slightly to go with a fierce glare.

Cassandra raised a hand, "Calm down. He's hurt, it's fine. Sorry, Charizard. Looks like you might have pulled a wing muscle—right where it attaches at the back based on location. You can't fly just yet. I have a few restorative items that can help, but it'll still be a few days. Sorry."

The fire Pokémon growled, though not at her. With a huff he folded his wings back down and nuzzled her gently.

She chuckled, stroking his head, "I know... Corvi was devastated when he hurt his wing, too."

"Is something wrong?"

Cassandra jumped, surprised to find Leon there, a blanket around his shoulders. His eyes were focused on his Charizard, concerned. The fire type made a light, pitiful rumble before shuffling back to him and letting his snout settle on his trainer's head.

"He's got a pulled wing muscle, right where it attaches to his back. He won't be able to fly for while still, sorry... today would have been a good one for you to leave, I think."

His golden eyes fell, "Oh. I see... Sorry, bud. Looks like I got you hurt good, huh?"

"I don't know what happened, but that definitely wasn't your fault. Not unless you pulled the wing yourself."

"No—never. I just... I could have prevented it."

"Could you? Or do you just think you could?" she quipped back, brow raised. She waved a hand before he could answer, "Whatever the case, it's all hindsight, and you'd never do anything to hurt him, so it wasn't on you. I'm willing to have Arcanine take you close to the main path if the weather is better if you have Charizard's ball on you? It'd be about a day-long trip, maybe two if the trails aren't the best."

"No, don't worry about it. I'll wait. I left his ball on my belt back at my apartment with the others. I was just out walking him for fun."

"Then... um, well... I would suggest Corvi, but he evolved less than a year ago, so he's still too small. He honestly couldn't even qualify for taxi just yet. And speaking of them... they definitely don't come out here. I'd maybe call for a rescue, but my service has been terrible. I—oh, um... sorry I'm just giving you all bad news huh?"

"No, it's just the reality of things. I can't leave Charizard behind, and... it might be better to wait a few days."

Cassandra regarded him a moment, "You don't sound sure about that."

"I'm not," he sighed, gazing out at the scenery, "but... it's still better. I'll wait until Charizard heals."

"Well, you're more than welcome. There's a container of cocoa if you want to add hot water to the mug by the fire. 'Fraid I don't drink coffee."

He managed a laugh, "What are you? A serial killer?"

"I mean... I'm probably as crazy as one for living out here," she grinned back, and she noted his smile was actually a little sincere. Cassandra watched him turn and leave to get himself a cup and sighed softly. She wished she knew more of what was ailing him, then maybe she could be of more help. But he wanted to keep her in the dark—possibly to protect her from it, or maybe it was just too personal. It was hard to say, but she would do what she could.

Shuffling through her pouch, she held out a soft cube to the fire-type, "Here, eat this. It helps ease muscular pain."

Charizard rumbled as he leaned close, sniffed the chew, and then readily snarfed it down. He looked at her expectantly.

"Just one—that's all you can have for a day. The rest will be on you—and not using your wings. I know, I know—torture. But if you want to fly sooner rather than later, you have to do it."

The fire-type grumbled and snorted, but relented.

"The cocoa's good!" Leon called, coming up beside her, blanket held a bit tighter in one hand, the cup in the other, which he blew on gently.

"I only pick the best when I go camping for a long time," she beamed, head held high. "So... any plans today?"

"Enjoying a good cup of cocoa," he grinned back. "You?"

"Well, it never hurts to go fishing for some grub when the weather is like this. Otherwise... I guess my only option is to enjoy the company of an ex-Champion... with a nice bod."

Leon choked on the sip of cocoa he'd taken, precisely as she said the final words. It certainly wasn't timed. She certainly hadn't been watching, waiting, and it certainly wasn't worth it. Not one bit. She certainly wasn't grinning either.

"Alright, guess I'm not enjoying a good cup of cocoa."

"I couldn't resist."

"You're going to do that the entire time I'm here, aren't you?" he mused, brow raised.

She shrugged, "Only if you don't mind it too much. If it really does bug you, I'll stop."

"I mean," he replied—sheepishly, she dared to think, "It's not that bad. Just unexpected."

"Really?" she guffawed. "You've never had fans say that or like it to you?"

He squinted, "Not to... my face? Maybe on Pokégram? I think Raihan said they did when he tried to convince me to take more selfies shirtless?"

"He had good intuition."

"Oh did he now? Well, I'm sorry to say I won't be complying any time soon. It's a tad freezing."

"Shame," she smirked, and then laughed. "Really, though, I am teasing. I promise you're not trapped with some sexual deviant."

"Mmm I feel so safe now."

"Oh, hush, I assure you, I am a woman of virtue. Besides... my Arcanine is far more handsome than you are," she grinned, to which Leon balked in mock-insult.

He flicked his hair with his hand, "Excuse you, my mane is far superior."

"If you say so. Ah, there's my handsome boy now," Cassandra grinned, spotting her fire-type Pokémon dashing at incredibly speed over the ridge, snow spewing up behind him. She quickly downed the rest of her cup as she made for the fire. "Guess I'll head out then. You're welcome to ride with me—Arc can easily carry us both... but you'll want to bring the blanket since I haven't found a coat for you yet."

"If you're sure, I think I'd like that. I feel good enough to be jostled around."

"Just tell me when it gets too cold for you, and we'll head back. Arcanine can keep you warm to an extent, and it's not too far to the pond, but..."

"Don't worry, I'll let you know. Thanks."

"It's nothing. Besides, it'll be nice to have company—that talks," she chuckled, as she came up by him, slipping on her thicker coat. Arcanine woofed softly at her and then to Tyranitar, who made a point to jab a claw at the Pokémon's snow-dusted paws, then the mess on the floor, and growled and grumbled at his companion. Arcanine snorted, but stepped back outside to lie down, waiting for them. Cassandra chuckled as she grasped hold of his tanned mane and slipped on, then motioned for Leon to do the same.

"Stay here and be good, alright, big guy?" he told his Charizard, whom rumbled unhappily, but nodded. The young man hefted himself up behind Cassandra, and once settled, the Arcanine stood up smoothly. Even so, Leon couldn't stop his instinct to grab the redhead, whom used her Pokémon's mane for balance instead.

"Ah, yeah, sorry, hold on tight. Use me for a windshield if you need to," Cassandra chuckled, then looked to Tyranitar. "Man the fort."

The monstrous Pokémon grunted, chest high and proud. He took his job seriously, after all. Sparing him a grin, she urged Arcanine onward, and they took off—fast. He was slower with two passengers, but her Pokémon  still quickly covered the span to the nearest pond in leaps and snow-filled bounds. Leon held her tight, hopefully enjoying the ride, but being mindful to not fall off. It was a bit strange having a passenger behind her, but, truthfully, it wasn't that bad. It had been a while since she'd been hugged by anything besides her Pokemon, and she'd almost forgotten how nice it was.

She had to chuckle to herself. It really had been too long if she was thinking such silly things. 

Luckily, Arcanine pulled to a stop not long after, and she slipped off to inspect the sides of the pond. It wasn't the biggest one around, but she didn't want to tango with any unruly water-types who heard her chopping at the ice to make a hole. There were thankfully only Arrokudas, Corphish, Goldeen, Basculin, and a few others at the worst, but they were either not tasty or poisonous to eat.

"Alight, I'm going to fish around here. I have an extra line if you want to go at it, or you can just sit with Arcanine and me to stay warm."

Leon hummed, coming closer, "I think I'll fish. Then I can feel like I'm contributing more than a pretty face."

"Oh, man, that's such a rough role to fill! I couldn't possibly ask more of you," she smirked back as she leaned down and pulled out an ice pick.

"No, no, a pretty face may be tough, but it hardly compares. I'll fish," he chuckled in kind. "I can set up the poles while you pick?"

"Hmm? Oh, sure, here—they're the folded kind so they fit in my bag. Here's the wire, too; make sure to put on the brown bait—the others attract the ones we don't want."

"Roger that," he nodded, taking the items and stood back while Cassandra slammed her pick down at the ice. It cracked, but didn't break, so she kept at it. Arcanine laid down beside them finally, and Leon took the moment to lean against the warm, soft fur. The Pokémon smirked his way, a gentle rumble going through its body. Its lower half shifted to allow the tail to come closer, and the young man already felt even warmer. He grinned back as he worked, setting the rods in place and wiring them as he remembered how to do. Oh, it'd been some years since he last fished, but the method was easy enough. Really, Cassandra had the hardest job, but she was doing good work. He wasn't surprised, though. If there was anything he'd learn from the short time they'd been together, it was that she was an experienced woman.

And to think she was only about his age. He hadn't missed the Johto-styled trainer card set into the case above her badges. She was twenty-four—just a year younger, and yet she had done so much more. Even he hadn't been this good at surviving in the Wild Area, and he'd only experienced the start of winter in his journey. Then he'd gone and won the Championship the same year he started, and just hadn't stopped winning. He had no time to go adventuring. He had to uphold his image constantly, and meet both his sponsors and the crowd's demands, which meant facing challengers every year on top of commercials, events, constant travel around Galar, and more.

Frankly, he couldn't recall the last time he'd had a chance to do anything but be the Champion. Even now he busied himself with the Battle Tower, which, truthfully, wasn't as demanding. His desperate flight through the blizzard had been one of his few times coming back to some kind of wild area.

Sadly, Leon knew he couldn't stay long—only until Charizard was healed. He had to head back, regardless of what awaited him, which was nothing good. He'd been a damned fool before, but at least now he could be better prepared. Still, he almost didn't want to leave. It might have only been a day or so, and he'd almost died to boot, but it was the first time in an age he hadn't had a single camera or microphone or Rotom aimed his way; no questions about his victories or his dethroning, or what his plans were; no one expecting anything of him expect to feel better. Cassandra didn't care about any of it, and why would she? She was a multi-Champion in her own right, and all she wanted was to be with her team and live free like this.

He envied her.

Leon also trusted her, as crazy as that was, but she had saved his life without any true obligation. It was hard not to put his faith in her. It made him wish he could tell her everything that had happened. He was certain she would help, especially if it was as bad as he thought, but there was still too much he didn't know. He couldn't drag her into it, although he had a feeling she could handle it and possibly even be a strong ally. But this wasn't her home; not her region; not her people. It wasn't her responsibility. It was his, as both former Champion and a Galar Pokémon trainer—and as a friend and older brother.

Cassandra was someone he needed to protect from the trouble—especially when it had way too great of potential to spread beyond his home.

So. It was best he didn't get in too deep, no matter how hard it was when her quips were as cheeky as his could be, and she was as heroic as he tried to be. Or that's how he felt, considering she'd taken him in as a stranger and everything she did was, in some way, to ensure his comfort or safety.

He envied that about her, too. 

"Hey! We're good to go, got the rods ready?" her voice cut through his thoughts, jerking him slightly.

"Yeah, of course, who do you think I am?"

"Just another pretty face?"

He scoffed, "I assure you, I am not just another pretty face. Here, your rod, m'lady."

"Such a gentleman. And Arc, you keep doing your thing and keep us warm, will you?" she called out, and the fire-type yipped confidently as she came to lie against him next to Leon, who was kind enough to open the blanket so it could be around both of them. Her Pokémon, meanwhile, lowered his head so his snout covered her feet and his mane pushed into her torso. Immediately she felt a good deal warmer. "If you stay cold ask him to use his breath on you—he knows what it means."

"Uh, what does it mean?" he inquired, brow quirked as he cast a line into the open space of the pond's ice.

"You know Fire Fang? Well, it's like that, only he just lets his mouth heat up and blows out the heat, but doesn't bite. It was not easy to figure out, let me tell you, but there's places in Sinnoh that are even colder than here, and it did wonders."

"Huh, never would have thought of that. Should try and teach Charizard—his tail is a bit too hazardous."

"Oof. I bet. So... I take it you two have been together since forever, too?"

Leon hummed, "Just about. I found him when I was just a kid and we've been together since then, fighting side by side. Can honestly say it's thanks to him I became Champion."

"Sounds like a classic tale! Hmm... you were... twelve then, right?" Cassandra asked, and he nodded more or less. "'Lesse, I was... I think I was still hanging out at home? I'm pretty sure I only left when I turned thirteen because I was asked to go deliver something for Professor Elm."

"What made you go on your journey for real?"

"Well, I caught a Pidgey while I was delivering the letter—Pidgeot now, of course. And then... well, he wasn't back then, but my good friend Silver stole a Pokémon from the Professor, so Arcanine and I... er, sorry he was a Growlithe then, but we went after him, and managed to beat him in battle. It was just... so... invigorating, you know? Winning a battle, catching Pokemon. We decided not to stop, and, well, here we are."

"I feel you..." the young man chuckled, pausing to consider something. "So... did this... criminal friend of yours give the Pokémon back?"

"Actually, no!" she laughed, grinning at his confusion. "Turns out the Tododile he took got attached even after just a few hours, and I couldn't bring myself to force him to give it up. So, I let them get away, told the police he ran off before I could stop him, and then he joined the gym challenge, too. He became my first rival, and ultimately, he started to change as he gained more Pokémon. Or, well, okay, it took a punch to his face before the Elite Four before he totally figured out he was being an idiot the whole time and really changed, but he was getting there."

Leon balked, "You punched your friend??"

"He wasn't my friend yet, okay? We were... rivals. Not necessarily on the best terms, but we respected each other's abilities, but... he just still didn't get how his Pokémon adored him even if he was a bit pushy. Deep down, though, he just wanted them to be strong—in part because he needed to be stronger, and they understood. But he pushed them too far that fight, so I punched him in the face and gave him a harsh talking to. All the while, his Pokémon were trying to protect him and stand up for him. He figured it out then.

She smiled warmly, "So, like I said, he finally changed. He started showing his Pokémon a different kind of care, and last I saw he was smiling waaaay more than he had before. He's got a good, strong team, too, that was able to beat the Elite Four not long after."

"Sounds like a fun guy."

"Oh yeah, now that he's not so grumpy and always scowling," she snickered. "These days, though, he's busy running his father's organization. He ended up taking it over and turning it all around after it collapsed, and now they act as a rescue organization."

"What's it called?"

"Team Rescue, as dorky as that is. He wanted to keep close to the original but still changed."

Leon frowned, brows scrunched, "What was the original?"

Her grin went shit-eating, "Team Rocket."

Had he been drinking, the young man would have spat out his brew—again. Despite Galar being practically a world away, even they had heard about what Team Rocket did a decade ago in both Kanto and Johto! They had been one of the most villainous organizations out there, and it was only thanks to the efforts of a few trainers that they were defeated and driven underground. He'd heard arrests were made some years ago, but not much else. Galar was too far away to be that involved with their news, and back then it didn't get as wide-spread anyways.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. He had to go through a lot of shit to make the change. He even had to fight a good chunk of old members, but he and his Pokémon took hold and once he proved his strength things took a turn for the better. And, unlike his father, Silver works to protect Pokémon, not use them as tools. And, of course, he never gives me credit for putting him on the right path."

Leon laughed, "I mean, I'm not sure 'my rival-friend punched me in the face and knocked sense into me, literally!' is an answer that inspires."

"No, probably not. That and I may have also asked he not mention me in interviews, too, sooo," she shrugged.

"Huh, you really don't like the lime-light do you?"

"I just don't want all the attention or to be kept from doing as I please and journeying where I will. If I was always tied down, I'd have never gotten here and found my new Pokémon friends."

"Or been here to save my stupid ass," the young man chuckled, earning a glance from the young woman beside him.

"Good thing I was then, huh? I'm pretty sure my mom would call it 'fate'."

"I can believe it. I didn't use to, but... ever since Hop and Gloria first entered the Slumbering Weald I can't help but think it's true."

"That's.... where they first met those legendary Pokémon, right? The ones they fought with to finally stop that crazy Pokémon?"

"Eternatus. Yeah, I did what I could... but it was thanks to them working with Zacian and Zamazenta that Gloria and Hop managed to beat it. I think it was fate they both went after the Wooloo into the forest and met them that day."

"Crazy... what happened to the Pokémon, though? No one seemed to know on the news."

"You watch that?"

She rolled her eyes, "When I'm in town, yes. I'm not a savage."

"Says the one living in a cave," he snickered before sobering up. "After the battle the Pokémon returned home and Hop and his friend returned the items that summoned them to a safe place. No one has seen them since."

"Well, good. I'd hate to see them fall into the wrong hands."

"Yeah, no kidding. Hop's back home to protect them, though—making sure no one goes into the forest, although the fog can keep them out if he can't."

She glanced at him, "Your brother sounds pretty awesome. What did he do after the Challenge? Is he going to go for Champion again?"

"Actually, no!" Leon chuckled. "It took him a while, but... he realized he preferred helping and learning about Pokémon over winning. Losing to his rival—Gloria, actually—really humbled him, and, it took a while, but he decided he wanted to be a Professor. He's working with Sonia as one of her assistants now."

"That's great!" Cassandra grinned. "My cousin is working for Elm, too. It's a great profession. And he's a good, strong trainer, which means he already understands Pokémon."

"Oh, for sure. Even though he didn't win, he's still the big talk of the town. I'm hoping he'll try the Battle Tower still, though—I'd love to face him proper."

"So eager to lose agai—oh a bite!" she grinned, and quickly stood to reel in her prize. It was a tough one, but, finally, she pulled out an Arrokuda. She lifted it close to Arcanine, who chomped down hard—it stopped wriggling. Leon watched, a slight frown on his face. Cassandra didn't miss it when she set the fish Pokémon beside them. "You never fished to eat them before?"

"Not... for a long time. I forgot how it feels."

"Yeah, it's... weird. Kind of a paradox. Especially when some people use them to battle. But we eat them, as do our Pokémon. I do try and catch the non-battle fish, but they're not plentiful here up north."

"Don't worry, I don't blame you or think bad or anything, I've just been pampered," Leon chuckled, shaking his head.

"Well, best toughen up, Sobble. The Wilds like to eat pampered little boys."

He smirked back, "Thank Arceus I'm a grown man then."

"Yes, I know," she winked in kind, and couldn't stop laughing when palpable embarrassment appeared.

"I swear I'm going to pay you back for that one."

"Shall I strip now or...?"

"Oh my Arceus, you're worse than Nessa."

"I'll take that as a compliment. Now, get to work, bud, your line is tugging."

Leon jumped up, his face still burning hot, but, ultimately, he didn't mind. No, rather, he had to say he quite enjoyed the teases.

If only it could last. 

--

AN: there's your taste of sass. More to come ;) also, to clarify, the events of gold/silver/crystal took place about a decade ago and Team Rescue is very much so AU for reasons lol

Update next week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 50 14
Y/n left her home with Riolu long ago, to relieve her poor family of having to feed too many people. While in floods of tears, she met the spirits of...
7.6K 221 36
I crossed my arms. "Lemme guess. You'd do anything to see him happy," I mocked. "She's delusional. I'm helping Arven's partner. Of course, he's happy...
37 1 5
More adventurous Pokemon story with a deep interesting plot with original OCs and fan favourite characters. This is an original plot and a bunch of...
14K 482 66
It's been two years since Team Rocket was defeated for good, and months since Ash confessed his love to Serena. The young couple are now Research Fel...