My Rowdy Cowboy. (3B Ranch S...

By _Becca_Lynn__

With the eighth anniversary of his twin brother's death during a military detail drawing near, Randy (Rowdy)... More

1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
Epilogue

6

6.9K 374 5
By _Becca_Lynn__

**** High up on the thickly forested, 'Wolf Mountain', was a hidden camp. It lay only a short distance from, 'White Wolf Falls', where it was said by the local tribe that a Mighty Wolf Spirit slept. The outline of the mountain itself a looked like a majestic wolf howling at the moon. Many myths and legends had been spun around that mountain for hundreds of years. And legends said bad things happened to those who ventured up on the mountain with evil intent in their hearts. There was an age old legend among the Cheyenne Tribe that, should anyone bring harm upon any living creature or anger the White Wolf Spirit, they would face the wrath of the mountain. No one seemed to know how the legend began, but strange things did occur and out of respect to the Great Spirit, the tribe stayed clear and warned others away. This made it the ideal hide away for Juan Rodriguez and his camp of restless and trained timber wolves.

José Rodriguez aka 'Sam Dogg' sat near the fire cleaning his rifle. All around him, men studied the layout of maps, and air photos. The sound of hungry wolves snarling and fighting over their newest meal filled the air.

Juan tossed another beef quarter to the large beasts and laughed as they attacked it with gusto. "That's right my pets, eat up. You'll be needing your strength for another job tonight."

The men had no qualms about where they were located. Wolf Mountain was a special place for the local tribe, a place of reverence, full of myth and superstition and the sounds of their wolves only added to the legends and kept them alive.

José stepped up behind his father and cleared his throat, "Bad news, sir."

The younger man swallowed as Rodriguez slowly turned to face him. "What kind of news?!" He asked through clinched teeth.

"According to my informant, Blanton and his wife had their babies last week. Two girls and a boy....since then he's heightened ranch security."

Rodriguez glared at his son. "You were supposed to take him out!" He snarled. "What happened!"

Thinking about his narrow escape, José shook his head, "I didn't get a clear shot....and... the....SEAL is back. My informant says he brought some cajun hick friend with him and they're both FBI Agents."

Rodriguez looked his son in the eyes. "That's impossible. Brett died in combat over three years ago, along with his buddy, a guy named Montague!"

"They were classified as MIA, they're both alive and back. Apparently, it was a planned disappearance that no one was privy to, except a few high ups."

Juan snarled under his breath and turned back to the pen. José swallowed and continued, "There's more. Brett Sr's daughter, the attorney, she specializes in child abuse, domestic violence and women's rights cases. She's working on the disappearance of teenage girls and rape cases. She remembers.... apparently the other one does too.... and the Blanton dame is determined to bring us down."

Juan nodded, "I should have ended her when she was a child. Even then, she was a thorn in my side....change of plans....I want her taken out before the Blanton brother's and Kincaid. Put Diego on it, no mistakes this time. If he fails me again, he'll end up just like the last man."

José looked at the pack and shuddered. "I'll see to it." With that order he turned and left.

***

Rowdy and Tad rode along the fence line looking for holes or breaks in the barbed wire that needed repair. Tad swore when he saw the cleverly disguised, man made break in the fence, "Man... this has become ridiculous!" Tad said, as he studied the cut wire.

Rowdy nodded, "They're gettin' bolder, too."

Tad was in full agreement. "Now that the Boss is gone on and off for a week or so, they'll think it's the prime time to make a move. What I don't get..."

Rowdy studied the former Marine, "Yes?"

"Why hit a ranch full of ex Rangers, SEALs, and Marines... you know Special Forces? Something just doesn't feel right. They must have a death wish. Just 'cause we aren't active duty anymore doesn't mean we aren't still capable. I didn't grow up here, I'm from the midwest but, I've been here long enough to know, these just aren't normal rustlers. Someone has an axe to grind, and that someone's targetin' the Bossman and his family."

Rowdy nodded, "That's why I'm up here keepin' watch, and doing real work, while you're down there doin' the grunt work."

The ranch hand slowly turned to look up at Rowdy. "Yo, cow kisser! I don't have to take crap from you! From the Bossman, yes," he pointed at Rowdy with his hammer, who was trying hard not to laugh, "but not from you!"

Rowdy tried his best to look affronted. "And I don't have to sit here and listen to a comic cowboy in trainin'." Both men stared at each other for a long moment before they burst into laughter.

"Let's get back to work. I'll radio in for some help, and we'll have this fin..."

Suddenly several shots rang out. Rowdy summersaulted off his horse and hit the ground hard. Jasper, his sorrel gelding reared and made for home, leaving his human partner on the ground. Tad, grabbed his horses reins and staying low made his way to Rowdy to help him move under cover as more bullets pounded into nearby soil sending up dust.

Rowdy grimaced and tried to slow the bleeding from his left shoulder as he leaned against a large bolder. "Where's my horse?"

"Took off with your rifle and walkie. How bad were ya hit? I don't have all the medical training you have Rowdy. " Tad studied the wound. "Crap! I think it hit your collarbone Rowdy an' you're bleedin'. Are you with it? I need ya with me."

Rowdy nodded, untied his bandana and put it over the wound. "I'll hold this while you get your first aide kit." Seeing how worried his friend was he said, "I've had worse Tad, but its our rotten luck... I think there's two of 'em up there. One's firin' blind while the other keeps hammerin' at us." He drew his sidearm and whispered, "Got a pistol too?"

Tad handed him a revolver and checked the load in his hunting rifle. He then radioed Yancy at the ranch and gave the situation, and their location. "Shots fired, six miles North of Shadow Creek 'bout 1/8 mile due West of Shadow Bend. Man down, I repeat man down. Two Shooters on high ground, we're pinned down and horse ran off with additional firearms and ammo. Request immediate assistance. Over."

Yancy, who was walking by the clinic responded instantly.

"Understood, have your location on GPS. Will notify Sheriff and clinic staff. Me an' the boys are on the way with help. Chopper One and medical team will be there in fifteen. Stay to cover, repeat... stay to cover. Over."

"Roger that. Out." He lowered the walkie as a bullet pinged and sent shards of rock spraying over their heads.

"Aren't Brett and his FBI buddy at the ranch? " Tad asked as he fired a shot at a hat as it rose from behind a boulder.

"Yeah, one of them will probably come with.

Rowdy maneuvered himself and fired at the sniper's approximate location, then both he and Todd moved a few feet to the right so the shooter couldn't get a grasp on their exact location. The sniper responded with a volley of bullets. Judging by the sound both men could tell it was a top grade sniper rifle....and there were at least two shooters.

Rowdy cursed, closed his eyes and took a breath to ease the dizziness. "Don't think they're both trained, but they are consistent. Ya got to give 'im that." He peeked around the bolder then jumped back and grabbed his shoulder. "Remington M24 Sniper Rifle." He looked at Todd. "Special Forces issue. I'd know that weapon any where." He shook his head again as darkness began to creep into the edge of his vision.

Todd cursed. "Where the heck did they get their hands on one of them?!" He noticed Rowdy's pale skin and dilated pupils. "Rowdy, you're gettin' clammy... ya gotta stay with me buddy. You hear me?"

Tad removed his bandana and wiped the injured man's forehead. He took the first aid kit from his saddle and pressed a pad of gauze to the wound as it continued to bleed. He was worried. 'Dang!' He told himself. 'A shoulder wound and his horse ran off with the other first aid kit. I'm gonna run out of gauze before backup gets here.'

Tad took his shirt off and pressed the material against the wound.

The ex Ranger nodded slowly and forced his sluggish mind back to the situation. Rowdy sighed and examined his wound again. 'Sh--.' It had to stop bleeding soon, this was not the time or the place for him to be out of it.

Tad ducked as another bullet rickishaied off a rock and sent pieces of stone everywhere. "UH! When you asked me to take a ride with you and help fix the fence," he looked at his friend, "this isn't what I had in mind for a day on the range."

Rowdy scoffed, "Just make sure you don get hit. Yo... your wife'll... kill me."

Tad grinned, and nodded as he fired back. "Too true, she'll for sure blame you for gettin' me into it and then she won't let us play together anymore." Todd ducked down as his walkie began to crackle.

"Bobbi here. Chopper One is on the way. ETA fifteen minutes. How bad is the injury? the clinic nurse called. Over."

"Rowdy, left shoulder, think it hit the collarbone. Make it five minutes! He..." Tad ducked as a bullet nearly took his head off.

"Bobbi, he can't be moved and I won't leave him! Get help here last week!"

***

As Bobbi was starting the engine, Yancy and the men were already tieing their gear to their saddles. Yancy knew that area and where he thought the shooters might be. He was sure he and Hope could sneak up on them from behind.

***

Hope lay napping on Beau's front deck with Kyle and the girls. Her ears perked up and she stood letting out a deep, menacing snarl. Stunned, the kids watched as the large Timber Wolf took off for the stable. Hope met the group just as they were mounting their horses.

Yancy turned and waved to Hope. "It's about time ya got here." he gave her ears a gentle tussling.

The men look up briefly as the helicopter began is assent with a loud "WHOMP, WHOMP, WHOMP".

Yancy saluted and double checked his saddle bags and tied an extra blanket behind his saddle. He held one of Rowdy's shirts to Hope's nose. "Find Rowdy girl, my boy's in trouble and we gotta get to him." He shoved the shirt in the saddle bag and mounted his horse. "He looked around at the other men, and said "Keep with us if ya can. Remember these guys are shooting' so watch yourselves." He looked down at Hope and said "Let's go girl!"

And with that, man, horse, riders and wolf were off like a rocket.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.5K 527 18
The AK's, and Evie, Jay, Carlos, and Mal are all in their senior year of school. Ben broke Mal's heart by cheating on her with Audrey. Carlos swooped...
9.1K 465 20
After a terrible incident and a nasty divorce, (y/n) moves to Montana on the suggestion from her old friend, Jenny Hoyt, to get away from everything...
1.5K 157 35
Blair Evermore: a simple kid with a complicated life. With a brother that would do anything for her and two FBI agents for parents, she doesn't have...
577K 31.8K 67
❝Human by Day and Wolf by Night.❞ But what would you do if you saw one in broad daylight? - * - Abigail wasn't prepared to hear that she and h...