Brother.

By ellarose12

In the small country town of Flame Tree Bay, everyone knows Sarah Attwell. The older folk remember her when s... More

Black Sheep.
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV

Chapter XX

9.4K 540 64
By ellarose12

        Helena, Rachelle and Annabelle fought for space around the mirror as they got ready for the party. Filled with confidence that only a new hairstyle can bring,  my cousin decided being here wasn’t so bad and was nearly as excited as Rachelle about going out tonight. The music was turned up and it helped make it that much easier to mistake us for a bunch of teens with no other worries in the world other than, does this lipstick match my dress?

Wendi and Peta had to work, that family slave labour contract once again ruining their social plans and since Becky was out of town, it only left us three, now four. Danny was staying at Jakes. His parents were going to be as the same gathering as mine, so they were using it as a chance for him to get adjusted to being home and their hunting trip went smoothly. Sleep and raw meat seemed like the werewolf equivalent of chicken soup and old movies did for the rest of us and Jake was nearly back to normal. 

Well, as normal as he could be now.

“I’ve missed you guys. I hate having to go out of town at Christmas!” Helena finished with the eyeliner and took a seat beside me on the bed. “So what’s been happening? Is Danny coming tonight?”

I tried not to roll my eyes. “No, he’s not. Doing something with Jake.”

“That’s a shame. I was hoping he’d be my midnight kiss.” She giggled. “Speaking of, I was talking to Sally at work yesterday and she asked me who the hottie with my friend Sarah was at the Carols?”

Rachelle turned to face us now, her eyes lighting up with mischief. “Oh Hels, you’ve missed out on soo much! Our little Sarah has bagged herself our convict friend!”

This time I rolled my eyes.

“No! What happened to being anti-Blake boys? Sarah!” She slapped my arm and Rachelle filled her in on our date. “So, will he be there tonight?”

“Um, no. He’s got other stuff on and it was just one date!” I protest.

“No, not true. You’ve been spotted all over town with him. Morning runs, he’s seen you at work and helped you with your groceries!” Helena started to lecture like my own PI. 

“Nanna did say he was your boyfriend. Why are you lying about it now Sarah?” Annabelle threw into the mix.

“Nanna also had to blackmail me into that date with the promise of making sure I was one of Debs bridesmaids if I didn’t!”

That made her laugh. “Yeah, but if you didn’t want to go, you wouldn’t have. You don’t seem to have an issue in sticking up for yourself with them!”

“She has a point. You can be real stubborn Sar!” Rachelle argued.

“I hate you all!” Getting up I went downstairs to get a drink, and for a second it was hard to hear anything other than the rumble of thunder.

All day the storm had sat off the coast. The weather bureau didn’t think it was going to bring rain, but a thunderstorm alert was out so hopefully the Rivers weren’t planning on the party being outdoors only. As another clap had the windows shaking, someone upstairs squealed before a fit of giggles followed.

I was about to go back upstairs when the front door opened the same second more thunder sounded. Now it was me who squealed and Danny burst out laughing. “Oh that was classic. Who did you think it was? The Candy Man?” 

“Worse, it’s a werewolf and his sidekick!” I answered dryly.

“Um, did you want to go finish getting dressed?” Danny shut the door and pushed Jake into the living room in the same movement and I looked down to see black dress I had on.

“I am?”

“Ah, no. Did Dad see that?” He frowned, pointing at me.

“Oh we are not having this conversation. Why are you here?” I snapped.

“No power at Jakes and we wanted to play this new game he got for Christmas.” He shrugged. “Seriously, at least put on some tights, leggings or whatever you call them.”

“One day, you’re going to have a daughter and she’s going to want to leave the house in something like this, probably worse because you should see what Rachelle is wearing and she’s going to tell you the exact same thing that I am. You’re not the boss of me!” I poked out my tongue and went upstairs, making a point to slam my door.

“What’s your problem?” Rachelle laughed.

“Danny and Jake are down stairs.” Her face instantly paled. “Apparently my brother thinks I’m not wearing suitable attire for tonight.”

Annabelle laughed. “I wanted to get you something shorter and sparkly, but Rach said this was more your style. He’s weird. I said before you’re both freaks.”

The hem sat mid-thigh and while the back was a little low, it covered more than Rachelle’s dress that had the sides cut out. If she lifted her arms too high, there was no bra to hide what was underneath the fabric and Helena’s was so short, even I thought she needed to put on something else with it. It's not like Annabelle could talk either, since shehad to do a boob check every five minutes to make sure nothing had slipped out to where it shouldn’t be.

“He’s just protective of her and would rather his sister didn’t come home knocked up.” Rachelle gave Annabelle a knowing look that had her shutting up.

“Well, its’ nearly nine. I think we’re fashionably late now, so lets go before he comes up and tells us all to wear jackets.” I grab my purse and the music is turned off. In a clatter of high heels, sweet perfume and hairspray, we headed towards the car.

Except for Helena.

“Hi Danny, Jake!” She grinned, leaning against the doorframe. I unlocked the car and Rachelle went ahead with Annabelle. “Shame you guys aren’t going to the party!”

Neither said anything as they just stared at her. It was hard not to, she was pretty, but the makeup only made her looked older and she was much more comfortable in her heels than I think I would ever be.

“Okay, in the car!” I grabbed her arm and went to pull her to the front door.

“What? I was just saying hello!” Both guys followed us out. “If you change your mind Danny, I’ll be waiting at Midnight!”

His mouth opened, but quickly closed and I suddenly regretted not wearing a trench coat as I saw Jake looking at me. Helena was giggling as I finally got us into the car.

“Since when do you even like Danny?” Rachelle asked as we got onto the road.

“Since Becky isn’t here to be all, but I kissed him first.” She smirked. “Come on Rach, we’ve all had a thing for Danny at some stage. Even you!”

“Guys, that’s my brother. I don’t want to hear it!”

“What about Jake then? He looked like he’d never seen a girl before, I swear his eyes were nearly busting out his head. Shame you’ve never liked him Sarah. I think you’d be cute together!” Helena looked to Rachelle for support, but she only shook her head.

 I turned up the stereo and thankfully the subject was dropped.

                                        -x-

I’d never been the Rivers house before. I didn’t really know Kyle at school and what I did know about him came from Peta as their families were good friends. The house was more like a mansion, sitting over the cliff. They’d never have to worry about development ruining their ocean views and sitting out on the balcony with aching feet, Annabelle and I took a break from dancing.

 Despite the weather, the yard had still been set up for the party, complete with a DJ and New Year paraphernalia covered practically everything. The walls, the tables, even the cups and plates were all part of a set. It looked a little too nice for a party full of teenagers, most of whom weren’t even at legal drinking age. The black and gold decorations were really effective though and  it was nice to surprise Annabelle with it all.

I think she was expecting us to be sitting on hay-bales in a barn, drinking cans of cheap beer and two dollar bottles of sparkling wine. The oldest River, I think his name is Oliver, played bartender in the kitchen while upstairs everything that went on was under parental supervision with Mr and Mrs. Rivers watching over us from their own private balcony. It was probably why Mum didn’t have any issues with us going.

“Thank you for everything Sarah. I’m actually having a really good time and these last couple of days have been, nice.” She tells me. “I never gave you guys a lot of thought, but you’ve made me feel welcome and despite our family rivalry, you came through when I didn’t realise how much I needed, well, family.” 

I wanted to tell her it was okay, and if I was ever in her position, she’d do the same thing, but we both knew it wouldn’t be true. So I simply smiled and reaching over, gave her a hug.  “Anytime!”

Going back down stairs, we found a drunk Rachelle talking with some people from school and Helena was dancing with someone I didn’t recognize. Looking around, I couldn’t shake the feeling of being watched and subtly tried to work out if that was the case. It didn’t take me long to spot Ben in the crowd. He was playing pool with some of the same people I’d seen at one of the Blake parties.

 The second our eyes met from across the room, he smiled, if you can call it that. It was more like a snarl as his lip curled and I couldn’t bring myself to look away. He eventually did, and Annabelle had seen the whole thing.

“What’s that about? He really does not seem like your type!” There was no hiding her distaste for the baggy jeaned and over sized tshirt wearing want to be gangster. He even had on 'bling' in the form of two silver chains around his neck.

“He isn’t. You know, I’m feeling a tired. Should we go now?” I almost felt like begging her to say yes.

“It’s only like twenty minutes until midnight. Don’t be a party pooper!” Rachelle interrupted.

Annabelle agreed with her, and when Dylan asked her to dance, Rachelle followed with some guy called Tom so I was left standing there alone. Since Ben still had his attention on me, I decided to stick with them and if I was being the third-wheel, I didn’t care. There really was something to safety in numbers only I never made it that far as he was suddenly there.

 “Where are your friends?”

“Excuse me.” I went to walk around him, only he didn’t let me do that.

“Why the hurry? I just wanna talk to you.” He sneered.

“Shame the feeling isn’t mutual.”

This guy was a psycho and there was no denying the less than friendly vibe coming off him. I may have gotten through our run in at the campsite, but this felt different. My gut instinct was to run and glancing around us, no one other than his friends paid us any attention. They weren't going to be much help.

His hand was on my chin as he forced me to look at him and grabbing my wrist, I struggled not to cry out as it felt like he was crushing it.  “You should be begging to be my friend. I know some powerful people and-” 

Ben suddenly let me go, stepping back as his eyes widened before dropping to the ground. The second I felt someone behind me, I knew it was over and slid back against Michaels side.

“Didn’t I make myself clear last time?” Michael spoke with no emotion, and I was almost scared to look at his face.

“Yes, but I-”

“Did I say you could speak?” Ben shook his head. “Leave. I want you out of this town by midnight otherwise I will find you.”

I shivered at his words and almost pulled away, except his arm wasn’t going to budge. Ben ran, and as a couple of his friends saw him go, they looked at us before disappearing with him. Instantly Michael was holding me, and I did the same thing to him.

“You okay Bright Eyes?”

“Yeah, I totally had that under control.” I lied, taking a second to rub my wrist. That was going to bruise.

“I know." I'm pretty sure he only said that to humour me. "But he should know better than to go near you.” He growled. 

“What happened last time?”

“Nothing you need to worry about. Come on, it’s nearly midnight.” Just like that, he was back to normal and yet he was still holding something back.

The music was perfect for dancing close together and catching Rachelle’s eye, she gasped and pointed between us. I only smiled at her, and held onto him tighter. In no time we were suddenly screaming out a countdown, and nothing else mattered as we missed two and one, instead getting lost in each other before I had my very first New Years kiss.

 All around us party poppers went off, sending bits of coloured paper into the air and further down on the beach, the towns fireworks went off. We didn’t even stop to look, and as the crowd chanted Auld Lang Syne, we finally parted for air.

I was dizzy with the rush of adrenaline that hit me, as everything looked surreal. Glitter and confetti was still being thrown around in the air and lightning joined in the fireworks to light up the sky. My encounter with Ben was forgotten and little else mattered in that moment.

“Happy New Year, Sarah!” Michael smiled lazily, cradling me against him as he still refused to let go. I knew something was wrong, but didn't want to push it. Maybe it was just Ben?

“Happy New Year, Michael.” Then he kissed me again and I couldn’t care what was happening anywhere else.

That was until Rachelle interrupted and bounced between us, effectively ending the moment. 

“Yay! Happy New Year Sar!” She hugged me tightly, kissing my cheek and without thinking did the same to Michael.

I could only laugh as he looked completely bewildered by the drunken girl literally bouncing around us and it was then Annabelle appeared. “Are you still ready to go? Now that parts over with?”

No. I had no intention of leaving, until Michael answered for me. “Sure.” 

Rachelle didn’t need much persuasion to do anything, and Helena had found her cousin Andrea to get a ride home with, so the four of us left. We’d barely got to town before Rachelle was snoring and Annabelle had her shoes off.

“Jake and Danny are at my place.” I told him.

“I know. I spoke to Danny just before I got here as I was going to check on them.”

He didn’t seemed bothered by that and once we got home, Annabelle went straight to bed, while Michael ended up carrying Rachelle into my room. Once she was in bed, I put some water on the bedside table for her and got changed before going downstairs. Everyone was talking in hushed tones and then went completely silent when I walked in.

“What?” I asked, feeling self conscious.

“I liked what you had on before better.” Michael teased, earning a slap across his chest from Danny who shook his head.

“So what’s going on?” I went to stand beside Danny, while Jake suddenly found his hands really interesting. No one spoke. “Danny?” 

“You two are dating then?” He asked instead.

Looking at Michael, he nodded. “Kind of?”

“Then you tell her!” He snapped at Michael.

The anxiety I’d been fighting all day returned as I looked Michael, while Danny and Jake busied themselves in the fridge.

“What’s going on?”

“It’s probably nothing, but, he’s here.” He tells me.

“Who’s here?” I ask stupidly.

“Scott. He came out to the farm, checked on Dad, all of us really. Asked about Danny, and Jake.”

“And?”

An empty feeling took over inside of me, and I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry or scream. I knew it would have to happen, but now Scott was actually here, it was real. I didn’t want him here, in my home town. I didn’t appreciate the threat he posed to my family, my pack. Nothing felt right, and the bubble of bliss I had been floating around in since Michaels arrival at the party finally popped.

“And, he left. I scented him town though so he hasn’t gone.” Michael sighed.

“What does this mean?” I looked at Jake, would he kill him? “He won’t-”

“I don’t know. When’s your cousin going?”

“Um, Nanna was suppose to pick her up in a couple of days.” My mind felt heavy, and trying to form a clear thought was becoming impossible. After everything we’ve gone through, I can deal with this.

“Can you take her tomorrow? Get out of town, until I can work out why he is here?”

“And Danny? What about Jake?” I couldn’t leave them and finding some courage, I managed to stop myself from completely freaking out. 

“I’ll make sure they’re okay. He isn’t going to turn against me now, too much effort has been put into keeping me around.”

I looked at Danny. ‘I’m not going.

He frowned, knowing my mouth hadn’t actually moved. This time, I could hear him too.

‘It’s not safe.’

‘If I run away, he’ll chase. We don’t even know if he’s here for us.’

Danny shook his head, before rubbing the back of his neck and I instantly did the same. I didn’t miss the way Michael glanced between us, and I was quite ready to share what Danny and I had discovered we could do with him just yet, especially with Scott around.

 “You know I’m right.” I told him.

“She stays. Leaving could be bad long term. He could think we have something to hide!” Danny tells Michael.

“We do!” Michael growled as he looked my way.

“He doesn’t need to know that! Think about it, Scott knows I have a twin. That’s it. We get her out of here the second he comes to town, it’s going to look suspicious. Plus, who knows what he knows about you two? If he wants to keep you on his side, he could just ignore it.” Danny made sense.

“And if he doesn’t?” Michael challenged.

“Then there are six of us against him. I like those odds.”

“He has an entourage of twelve.”

“Then, we’ll do what we can as a distraction to get her out of town.” Danny shrugged.

I couldn’t help myself from feeling proud about how well Danny was handling all of this. He was almost taking charge of the situation and wasn’t shutting everyone out in a huff, or going on the attack. Not like he used to anyway.

“You need to go and until we work out what he’s doing, stay away from Sarah. We don’t need the attention coming our way!” Danny decided. 

“Danny-” I didn’t get to protest as Michael jumped in.

“You’re kidding! Then she will be unprotected and-” Michael snapped.

“We’re here!” Danny yelled, slamming his fist on the bench top. “Don’t you dare say I can’t look after my sister!” Danny stood taller, holding his head up defiantly as Michael glared at him.

“That’s exactly what I’m saying.”

In seconds the pair of them were fighting. Danny managed to get Michael in the jaw, and then just as quickly Michael had him pinned on the tiles with his forearm against his throat. Jake went to attack from behind, but I was there blocking him.

“No!” He hesitated, before stepping back around the counter and turning to Michael, I fell to my knees and put my hands on his arm. “Let him go.”

All I got was a snarl sent my way, and there was no missing the way his teeth were longer, canine, or that his eyes weren’t quite human anymore either.

“Michael. Let. Him. Go!” I don’t know how i managed to sound so calm, when inside I was furious at him hurting Danny like this.

His arm twitched slightly, and I could feel the pressure ease up under my hand. Instantly Danny coughed, and as I pulled Michaels arm away completely, Danny took it as his chance to attack again. Michael and I both saw it coming and it was my hand that shot out and pushing forward, I knocked Danny back down.

“Enough!”

“Sarah!” Danny croaked in protest.

“No more fighting! I’m staying here with Danny and Jake. You, calm down and trust them. What Danny said is right, we don’t actually know what Scott is doing apart from checking up on everyone and we don’t want to draw anymore attention to ourselves than necessary!” My word was final, and all three heads nodded in agreement.

Slowly everyone stood up.

‘Danny, take Jake upstairs. I want to talk to Michael.’

He nodded, and once again rubbed the back of his neck. “Come on, let’s go upstairs and work out what we’re going to do.”

Jake obediently followed and the second they’d clearly put enough distance between us, Michael was back on me. His head was on my shoulder as nuzzled my neck and without doing much else, I’d never felt so aware of him. My body came to life as touched the sensitive area, sending a shiver through all of me. The roughness from where he hadn’t shaved tickled, and a content sigh escaped me.

“I’d do anything for you. If something happens, and those two fuck up, I will-” He started.

“Nothing is going to happen.” I assured him.

“You smell amazing.”

That was a little weird.

“Ah, thanks?”

He kisses me then, his lips dragging up to stop at my cheek before finding my mouth and claims it possessively. I was getting in way too deep, but it was getting harder to find a way out. I could taste his need, and through the thin fabric of our shirts, his heart was pounding as hard as mine. I never knew passion like this existed. Was it the same for all couples or just us?

I was back on the floor, and this time I was the one being held down. The weight of his body on mine felt right, and my arms curled around his neck. I had to touch him, feel him and running my hands down his sides, he pulled back and winced. Instantly I was up and lifting his shirt, he had a new bandage on his hip.

“What happened?”

“Someone had to prove he was still the dominant dog.” He growled, the rage in his eyes making me shuffle back. “I should just kill him when I get the chance!”

“Michael, do you really think killing him is the answer?”

The look on his face told me I wouldn’t like what he had to say.

“Yes.” He sighed, running his hand through his hair. “There is a lot I can do and be okay with. I shouldn’t expect you to understand.”

Michael stood up and I quickly did too.

“I’m just being selfish, I should have stayed away and kept you out of this.”

“Danny and I are a two for one offer. You couldn’t have kept me away.” I went to go closer, only he stepped back, clearly keeping the distance there.

“Yeah, I could have. When I worked out who you were, I shouldn’t have let them still use Danny. You could be living your life completely unbothered by us, happily not knowing about werewolves or what was happening on a farm just outside of town. Your brother would still be a normal human. I knew I should have let it go, but I couldn’t and I didn’t and now I’ve put your life in danger.” 

I didn’t know what to say, and he brushed past me as if I wasn’t there. I turned quickly on my heel, grabbing his arm to try and stop him.

“I know, and I’d be lying if I said it was okay. It is what is! I accept that now!”

“Do you think I’m like your brother? That I made some bad choices, but you can still fix everything? This isn’t  high-school Sarah, you can’t do anything to make this all go away. If anything happens to you, because of me, I don’t know what I’d do! It’s better if we put some distance between us”

“You’re an idiot.” I snap at him and his eyebrows raise slightly. “Don’t push me away right now. I know what you’re doing! You’ll leave, feel bad and then come crawling back. You asked me to stop messing you around, well the least you can do is the same to me!” 

“It’s not that simple.” He frowned.

“It is Michael. It doesn’t make sense, and it’s kind of frightening, but I want you, just like I know you want me. Stop punishing yourself!”

I could see him thinking it over and in that moment, I realised how close it just came to him to just walking away and that hurt.

“Maybe I was wrong and I am the idiot, for thinking you actually wanted us. Close the door on your way out.”

I moved back towards the kitchen, when he stopped me. “If Scott knows what you mean to me, I have no doubt he’ll use you against me. You know what that means right?”

Nodding, he pulls me closer. “We’re both idiots, but don’t you dare think, not even for a second, you’re not what I want. I’m never the lucky one who finds something that makes everything not seem so bad. You do that for me, I don’t want to let you go.”

There was no question about where we stood now. Somehow, that little argument had turned into something monumental and I’d never felt so secure in myself, in my feelings, it was empowering.

“Then don’t.” I soon regretted that as my ribs felt like they were going to be pushed together. “Too tight!”

“Sorry.” He quickly let me go.

“So, we’re good?”

“We’re good. Don’t get out alone, and first sign of any kind of trouble, call me!” He demanded.

“Back at you.”

This time when he kissed me, I knew it wasn't goodbye and I prayed we had nothing to worry about. Yet I knew I was stupid for even hoping that was the case. Scott Fellan was in town for a reason and going upstairs to Danny and Jake, he'd be making a mistake to threaten my people.

He wasn't my pack leader, and I'd make sure he knew that too. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.5K 3.2K 54
She collapses down in front of me and runs her hands along my shoulders and down my arms. I close my eyes as she lifts my shirt over my head. "I can...
88.5K 2.4K 64
Book I: Drowning in the Pain (completed) Book II: Silence of the Omertà (ongoing) -------------------------- Family as defined in Lilo and Stitch is...
5.1K 110 25
John and Edward are best friends, they have always been. They get bullied in school very much. One day they get beaten up by their bullies really bad...
495K 19.8K 32
Elliot never had friends, he's always been bullied and his parents are both drunkards with a bad temper. All his life he's just dealt with the proble...