The dark days

By LightningMcQueen6

Decisions are hard to make, but how hard would making decisions be when you're thrust in to a post pandemic w... More

Nightmares were better
Supply mission
The stars should have looked beautiful
City of the dead
Over run
In the jungle
The night journey
Two strangers
Not alone
Gas station
Fear the dark

First contact

19 6 18
By LightningMcQueen6

  The scream came from just outside the house, and I jumped down from the second floor, running towards the door, and as I busted it open I saw a horrific scene.

Pinned to the ground was a young girl, thrashing about under the grip of a zombie.

  "Somebody help!" she screamed, desperately trying to hold back the undead creature, it's mouth barely centimeters away from biting in to her neck.

  "Get off her you miscreant!" I shouted, running towards it. Just as it turned around to look at what had shouted at it, I jumped up and raised my dagger, bringing it down straight in to the forehead of the undead man.

  A disgusting squelch sound was heard, and I pressed down hard, twisting the dagger around, causing the zombie to let out a squeal that made my blood run cold; it was comparable to the girl's scream. But it was much more horrifying, and in shock I jumped back, letting go of the weapon.

  It writhed in pain and kept squealing loudly, blood pouring down it's face and dropping down to the ground, coloring it a sickly dark red. The zombie clutched itself and trembled, before falling on to it's knees, desperately clawing at the surgical instrument lodged within it's skull.

  Blood oozed down faster now and in greater quantity, creating a huge pool of blood around it. The zombie was still struggling, all the while shrieking and writhing in pain, trying it's hardest to get the death blade out of it, but it's efforts were futile.

  A few seconds later it stopped shrieking and slumped over, falling wholly in to a lake of it's own blood. The writhing stopped almost soon after, and the body went limp.

It was no more now.

  I panted, hands on my knees, with cold sweat dripping down my cheeks. T..that...that had been too close...and horrific. I was literally shaking, and I might have stayed frozen in place if I hadn't been interrupted by the sound of whimpering coming from the girl.

  She was visibly crying, and trembling, her head hidden behind her hands, hiccupping a little, and I could see the tears trickling down to the ground.

"H..hey, are you okay?" I asked softly, walking over to her slowly.

"N..no" she cried, curling up in to a ball.

  "Hey it's okay" I whispered, bending down and ruffling her hair gently, "Shh, the zombie is gone, you're safe now."

"I..it i..is?" she asked shakily, looking up at me, tears in her eyes.

  "Yes, it's not going to hurt you anymore" I smiled softly, gently wiping the tears from her eyes. "You're safe now. Here, come with me. I'll protect you" I said, standing up and offering her my hand.

"Y..you promise?" she whispered, sniffling a little.

I nodded, taking her hand gently and helping her up.

  "Let her go!" a female voice ordered from behind, pressing something in to the back of my head. I heard a click sound and froze.

  "Let...her...go" the same voice commanded again, this time pressing the thing harder in to the back of my head. "Do it or I'll make sure your head is full of lead"

I gulped and nodded, frightened by this sudden turn of events and let the little girl's hand go.

"Good, now on your knees!" she shouted, kicking me harshly in the back of my knee.

"Hey!" I gasped, falling down to my knees, "What's your problem!?"

  "Shut up you little shit, now tell me what you're doing here, and where did you come from. Which band of thieves do you belong to?"

  "I don't know what you me-" I began, before getting punched in the back, causing me to scream,"What the hell lady!"

  "Answer my questions!" she shouted with even more ferocity, pressing the gun again in to my head, "Now!"

"Caroline! Stop! You're hurting him!" the little girl yelled, "Leave him alone, he saved me!"

  "So what? If I hadn't been here he would have robbed you, and next he would have raped you!" the woman replied angrily, kicking me again in the back.

  By now my back was burning from pain, and i decided I had enough of this bitch and her antics. I looked down as she pressed the gun ever more in to my head, as if trying to push it all the way through to the other side.

  In a split second, I turned around and knocked the gun out of her hand, sending it skidding across the ground. Instantly my hand went in to my pocket to pick out the last makeshift shiv I had, and with anger I knocked the woman down, before holding her down with my knife in hand.

  "I think..something tells me you get the chance of beating people a lot, and enjoy it. But right now bitch, I'll answer your question. I don't know what the hell you are on about, and right now I just saved your friend, who wouldn't have been in danger in the first place if you had been a more responsible adult, so be thankful I was there to save her!" I shouted in her face, hatred boiling in my blood.

  "Y..you two, p..please stop" I heard the little girl whimper from behind, before bursting in to tears.

  Almost immediately, my anger cooled down and I let go of the woman who had just attacked me.

  "I..i'm very sorry, I won't do that again" I apologized, walking backwards, never taking my eyes off the insane lady. I bent down and picked up the gun she had used to threaten me with, and kept it pointed at her.

  Slowly I walked over to the sobbing young girl and hugged her, patting her back gently, "There there, I'm really sorry about what just happened. I promise it won't happen again."

"T..thank you" she replied, sobbing still, hugging me back just as tight.

  I glared at the woman who had now gotten up, and in response she looked at me with a look that could kill. I looked away and back at the girl who's sobs had now lessened to a few sniffles. The poor girl, I just felt so sorry for her.

"Give..me my gun back" the woman demanded in a cold tone, breathing heavily.

  "No thanks, you nearly blew my head off lady. I'm not giving you anything. Now tell me, what are you doing here? Do you have a sanctuary nearby?" I questioned, lowering the gun but still keeping it in hand. I held the young girl close and waited for the woman to reply.

"I don't have to tell you jack shit" she spat.

  "I do have a gun you know. You aren't exactly in the best position right now, so please answer me" I replied, talking in a soft tone, because now that I was safe I wanted more than ever to just have a normal conversation with other humans.

"Fine" she replied curtly, "We were looking for supplies. I don't suppose you found any?"

"Not too much stuff, but yes, I did" I said, "Hey, what's your name if I may ask?"

"Fuck off"

  "Right" I replied, not surprised with her response. "Can you please take me with you guys? I don't really know my way around here and I really want to get away from these undead..monsters"

  "Fine, but only for one night, and you give me my gun back once we get there. Got it?" she asked, though I got the feeling it was more of a demand than a question

"Fine" I agreed, putting the gun down, "Lead the way"

She huffed and started walking off, and me and the young girl followed suit.

  Throughout the whole duration of the walk she kept ahead of us, not showing any interest in talking, and I'll admit I didn't feel like talking to her either. But, I did start talking a little with the girl I had saved.

"So, what's your name?" I asked, smiling at her kindly. "Mine is Zack"

  "My name is Lucy" she replied, smiling back. "I'm sorry about Caroline, she's always so moody and mean to everyone."

  "I guess I can't blame her, but I wish she hadn't threatened to shoot me" I answered, "By the way, how old are you Lucy? Ten?"

  "I'm nine" she responded happily, "And thank you for saving me back there. I should have been more careful, sorry"

  "Don't be sorry" I told her, "You didn't know about the zombie so it's fine, but let's be careful now. I don't want you getting hurt Lucy."

  She nodded and moved a little closer to me as we followed Caroline. A few moments of silence passed as she led us on through the houses, though Caroline seemed pretty confident that there was no threat because of the way and speed at which she was moving onwards. Maybe she was nervous about running in to another zombie? It was hard to tell.

  We crossed a few streets and suddenly took a turn west, and not much later we reached what looked to be the edge of a small forest. Without hesitation, Caroline stepped in, and we went after her.

I held Lucy's hand and kept her close. "Stay with me now Lucy" I whispered.

  Lucy nodded and stayed with me, while we continued our trudge to this sanctuary, and half an hour passed like this, in utter silence. Eventually, when I felt like I should ask how much further we had to go, we came in to a little glade, and Caroline stopped.

"We're here" she said, pointing forward.

  I looked ahead and I'll admit, I was taken aback. The safe house was a lot well..safer than I had thought. There was a seven feet tall wall made from tree trunks, and what really took me by surprise was the fact that there were guns inserted in holes in the wall which were every five feet or so apart.

  Without a doubt, this place was heavily fortified. Now I just had to hope the people here were at least a little better than the woman who stood in front of me, knocking at the gate.

"Hey Henry! Drax! Fernando! It's me! Open the gate!" Caroline shouted, banging on the gate.

  "Geez Cal! Why do you have to be so damn annoying?" a voice from behind the gate yelled back, just as the gate opened, revealing a big burly man. "I bet people a mile away could hear you whi-" he stopped, looking at me, confused. That confusion almost immediately turned in to anger, "Who is this? And why the hell is he here with you two? We sent you to grab more supplies, not another mouth to feed!"

  "Not like I had a choice Henry, the little shit got my gun" Caroline replied curtly. "He wants to stay with us"

"Tell him to get lost" Henry answered, not even acknowledging the fact that I was right there.

  "Not a chance" I said standing my ground, "I saved Lucy from one of the lifeless, and I have some supplies with me. So if it's not too much to ask I'd like to stay for the night."

  "Lucy's a liability as well as a burden anyway, by saving her you didn't do us much good. I don't care what you did, leave. Outsiders aren't welcome."

  "Please let Zack stay" Lucy pleaded, "He saved me and he does have food. Please? Just for one night? Please Henry"

  Henry sighed and looked down frustrated. "Fine" he spat, but you do what we say as long as you are here, and first thing in the morning you get lost. Got it?"

  "Sure thing" I replied, a little relieved I had a place to stay for the night rather than stay in that dreaded hospital. Though I felt much more relieved at the fact that I could spend a little more time with Lucy.

"Good, now get in" the man said, motioning for us to come in.

  We obliged, and the gate closed behind us. And just as it closed I heard a muffled, "No!" and a loud bang, and I dropped to the ground, coughing up blood. The last thing I felt before I blacked out was an insane amount of pain in the back of my head, and a strange wetness there.

And with that last sensation I fell limp.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 209 22
I kept tumbling deeper and deeper into the darkness of insanity. I couldn't give her up not when I had her in my dreams, not when another lifetime me...
80 13 12
This is the story of a 12 year old boy surviving a type of apocalypse of a cannibalistic virus...will he and those with him survive?
169 9 33
Firstly, A trigger warning for mental health/ self inflicted wounds when reading. you're only 18 years old. your name is zoe. you always had a love...
Cold Ashes By Alex C Wix

Science Fiction

4.4K 229 23
Disclaimer:- This was written by me 4 years ago during my years at college. It's far from perfect, but I hope everyone can see where I have improved...