Between the Lines┃Jaeyong

By jaerontaemo

Taeyong was hired as an informant for a mafia gang. He was sent to obtain information about the young and suc... More

πˆππ“π‘πŽ
γ€” 𝑖 〕
ππ‘πŽπ‹πŽπ†π”π„
πŽππ„
π“π–πŽ
𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄
π…πŽπ”π‘
π…πˆπ•π„
π’πˆπ—
𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍
π„πˆπ†π‡π“
ππˆππ„
𝐓𝐄𝐍
𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄
π“π‡πˆπ‘π“π„π„π
π…πŽπ”π‘π“π„π„π
π…πˆπ…π“π„π„π [Μ…Μ²π˜Ÿ]
π’πˆπ—π“π„π„π
𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 [Μ…Μ²π˜Ÿ]
π„πˆπ†π‡π“π„π„π
π“π–π„ππ“π˜ [Μ…Μ²π˜Ÿ]
π“π–π„ππ“π˜-πŽππ„
π“π–π„ππ“π˜-π“π–πŽ
π“π–π„ππ“π˜-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄
π“π–π„ππ“π˜-π…πŽπ”π‘
π„ππˆπ‹πŽπ†π”π„ [Μ…Μ²π˜Ÿ]
πŽπ”π“π‘πŽ
NEW BOOK
NEW BOOK

ππˆππ„π“π„π„π

2.9K 152 82
By jaerontaemo

When morning came, Taeyong awoke sluggishly, his body sore from the blast last night. Suddenly he began to panic and wonder if the police would find out soon. He wondered why Hendery made such a reckless move. If he was being threatened or in trouble, was beyond him. Not that he exactly cared, it's just that, he was now indirectly involved and had to save his own skin.

He sat up in the twin sized bed and stared at the empty wall ahead. Taeyong groaned as he ruffled his ash coloured locks in frustration. He already had his own problems, he forgot momentarily. How was he going to face Jaehyun today after doing what he did yesterday. If only that entire day could have been erased.

Once he was through with scolding himself, he grabbed his clothes from the duffel bag in the corner of the bedroom and headed straight for the shower.

He felt stuffed in the confines of Sichengs small bathroom. It's not like he didn't have a similar-sized one, perhaps even smaller, when he was growing up. He was just accustomed to his current lifestyle and that was a problem. He was too comfortable and didn't know how long it would last. He had been too confident taking this job. Surely, things we often perceive as nothing prove themselves the hardest.

After a thorough scrub, he wore his clothes, a light blue polo and denim jeans, not taking note of his appearance in the oval mirror above the sink. He already knew he looked like shit but he didn't care at all. He brushed his teeth still avoiding the urge to gaze into the mirror.

Grabbing his keys and helmet, he set off out of the apartment, to the office. He marked this day the last he would see Jaehyun, one way or another, he was getting rid of this job before the situation got worse.

Upon arriving, he parked his bike and walked to the company's building and boarded the elevator, riding it to the fifth floor. First things first, get Jaehyun out of the office and search the safe. Easier said than done. What excuse would he even use. He was running out of time and ideas. It was nearing the deadline that the Politician had given him. He heaved a heavy sigh as the elevator chimed.

Getting off, he walked slowly to the CEOs office. He paused and took a deep breath in before he knocked and was told to enter. He displayed a plastic smile and pushed the door forward, entering through it.

"Morning, er, sir..." he said reluctantly.

Jaehyun raised his head from the documents in his hand. His face scrunched at the small cut over the olders cheek and the chapped appearance of his lips. "What happened to you.....are you okay?"

Jaehyun was still getting used to the fact that Taeyong was living a fake identity. He didn't want to risk calling him by his real name and refrained from saying it. The appearance of the older made the suspicions Johnny had revealed to him seem plausible.

"Yes, I uh...just had a rough night..." Taeyong said, avoiding the youngers piercing gaze.

Jaehyun smirked, he was amused that Taeyong was trying to lie. He decided not to entertain the topic further, "I see...anyway, what's the matter?"

Taeyong stepped forward in front of the desk, "Do you have any meetings today?" he asked, imploring on when his opportunity would strike.

The CEO furrowed his brows, "Not that I'm aware of, why?"

"Just checking so that I can be prepared for later, I had wanted to leave earlier to visit the hospital." Taeyong said. He didn't lie, he had planned to visit his grandma today as he had pushed it back for far too long.

"If I do, I'll let you know. You may leave earlier if you need to, Tai." Jaehyun finally uttered it. The name he knew Taeyong as. The emphasis he placed on the name went unnoticed by the older as he simply nodded.

"I'll go out soon to grab your usual lunch then. Let me know if you need anything." Taeyong said as he turned to leave. "Tai, wait." he heard the CEO mutter which caused him to turn his head back and look at him.

"Say, where did you grow up?" Jaehyun questioned, gaining courage and too consumed by his curiosity.

Taeyong was taken aback by the sudden question. "W-Why?" he stuttered dismayed by his uncontrolled reaction.

"It just dawned on me that I know nothing about you, yet we've been close for a while now and have even done....things, together." Jaehyuns voice trailed off, his eyes wandering around the room as his courage slowly diminished. If Johnny was right and Taeyong was truly bad news, he wouldn't know how to react having done such personal things to the other.

In actuality, the Taeyong he knew was very weak and fragile. A raging fire on the outside, but pure and untainted internally. That's how Jaehyun perceived him. From his smaller frame which was the opposite of his hot tempered nature and his secretive spectatorship at the hospital of which he considered the real Taeyong.

Not to mention, Jaehyuns annoyance to how Taeyong has awakened this hideous monster within him. Making him question his intentions, making him confused and act out without thought. In total, Taeyong was a mysterious and beautiful man he wished to discover, to overpower, to claim. But if Johnny was right, he would be biting off more than he could chew.

Taeyong was now fully turned to face Jaehyun, "Ah...I see...I'm from a small suburban neighbourhood on the outskirts of Seoul." he said with a small smile.

"Hmmmm, which one?" Jaehyun rested his chin in the palm of his upright hand.

Taeyong didn't speak, the smile he sported quickly faded. He blinked at the younger and clutched the hem of his jeans subconsciously. Had Jaehyun figured something out? Was he being interrogated?

Jaehyun sensing the olders apprehensive demeanor then gave one more question, a question he knew would give him the reaction he was looking for, "Did you hear about the police arresting that gang member in a drug bust the other day?" The CEO asked, displaying a faked shocked expression.

Taeyong bit his inner lip nervously, he was sure Jaehyun knew something. Perhaps he found out about him and also had documents in his safe about him too? He quickly grappled at his fleeting confidence and displayed a calm expression, "No I didn't, I'm glad they caught them though. Is that all, sir?" he said.

Jaehyun then sat upright realizing his plan didn't produce the reaction he had hoped. He felt he was on the verge of something which got cut off, "Ah, yes. I was just thinking about these things a lot recently. That'll be all, also get some medicine for that scratch on your cheek. Wouldn't want it to leave a mark." he said and winked.

Taeyong shrugged him off and hummed in response. He then turned back around and opened the door to exit. When he was on the other end of the office, he let out a huge exhale. Surely he wasn't going to last much longer. He decided to go and fetch the CEOs lunch earlier than he planned and with it, a desperate method on getting the results he wanted which popped into his head.

As soon as he was finished purchasing Jaehyuns lunch, he went into a pharmacy on the way back. He browsed the aisles and searched for scar medicine, which he was only buying because he wanted the cut to fade quicker. He then went up to the counter and asked the pharmacist for over-the-counter sleeping pills.

Once he had paid for the items, he got on his motorcycle and rode back to the company, determined to do whatever it takes.

He was now in the lunch room and glanced around him to make sure there was no one behind him. He opened the pill bottle and began to crush the recommended dose into a powder. He then poured it into the CEOs drink and stirred it until it was adequately dissolved.

Taeyong knew he was taking a huge risk, heedless of the consequences that may follow. However, he needed results and he needed them fast. His chat earlier with the CEO was merely a foreshadowing of the suspicions that Jaehyun had of him.

He picked the cup up and carried it along with the food bag to the office. After knocking, he entered and gave Jaehyun his meal. Immediately he saw the younger taking sips of the drink. He pardoned himself and went back to the lunch room, waiting a few minutes for the drug to take effect.

After he concluded it was ample time, he eagerly went to the office and knocked the door lightly as if to check if he hadn't misjudged the timing. When there was no response he slipped inside, making sure to lock the door behind him.

He saw the younger fast asleep on the desk and made haste towards the drawer. To his relief, it had been opened and so he drew it out, displaying the locked safe inside.

After trying a few combinations he had theorized, it opened. Taeyong had simply guessed along the lines of birthdays, first trying Jaehyuns and then his brothers, which had also been his mother's death anniversary.

He fumbled inside, putting aside the zip locked passport and wad of cash which he alluded to being an emergency stash. Pulling out a yellow envelope, he then opened it to take a peek at the contents inside. The only documents he saw were about Politician Choi and a few suspicious articles and images.

Taeyong breathed out a sigh of relief knowing that there was nothing relating to him. Of course, there could be other places Jaehyun could hide the information as well as not have any solid proof. Remembering the real reason he was after the safe, he searched through the other small piles of papers and envelopes. None of which were what he was after.

Suddenly Jaehyun shifted on the desk which cause him to pause his movements. He watched as the youngers eyebrows scrunched together as if he had been having a bad dream. He quickly closed the safe, leaving out the documents on Politician Choi.

Before Jaehyun could wake up, he went straight for the door, unlocking it and leaving with quiet motions. When he was on the outside, he scratched his head trying to think of what to do now. Somehow Taeyong hadn't been as disappointed as he thought he would be. Had the deed actually been there, he wasn't entirely sure if he could take it.

If Jaehyun was anything like the other men he had scammed or exposed, he wouldn't feel conflicted for deceiving him. In fact, he would've done it in a heartbeat.

However, he felt his thoughts and actions contradicting. These doubts were clouding his mind and causing him to have a change of heart. He thought it wouldn't matter to him whether Jaehyun got found out, robbed or killed, but, an unsettling feeling internally made him question if he really didn't care. After all, there was no need for Jaehyun to die, and so if he took the documents then Jaehyun wouldn't have anything to blackmail the boss with. He'd be safe right?

He took a step forward moving from the door and that's when his phone rang in his pocket. He quickly took it out and walked faster away from the door and answered it. Thats when he wished he hadn't.

He rushed to mount his bike, pulling his helmet over his head and headed in the direction of the hospital. He had received a call stating he should come quickly. His grandma had suffered another heart attack which led to a stroke. Her condition was deteriorating.

Taeyong had no idea he would be going to the hospital for this reason. Was he experiencing karma for what he had just done to Jaehyun? He tried to keep his mind focused on the road ahead and answer to his questions later.

Reaching to the hospital, he parked his bike in the front and ran to the Intensive Care Unit. When he finally made it, he watched as nurses and the attending doctor were inside of his grandma's cubicle. They were attempting to resuscitate her and Taeyongs heart sank. He wanted to rush inside, to stay by her side, but he knew he shouldn't. He watched as they tirelessly fought to bring her back, until the doctor called it.

The monitor had lost its usual rhythm and sounded in monotone. The doctor shook her head and glanced at her watch. Taeyong watched as if he was viewing a scene from a movie. This could not be happening. His grandma was stronger than that. She was strong enough to pull through.

The doctor then noted Taeyongs frantic expression as she glanced through the glass door, she visibly sighed and made her way towards him.

"I wish I didn't have to tell you this, Mr. Lee. Unfortunately, your grandmother has passed." she said with a sorrowful look.

Taeyongs mouth fell open, he couldn't find the words to speak. He held the sides of his face and stared in disbelief. Surely he was dreaming. This wasn't real.

"Our staff tried our best with all we could but unfortunately there was not much we could do to prevent this from happening. The stroke was too severe and caused her not to respond to our resuscitative measures. My humblest condolences on your loss. If you need some time or have any questions please, go ahead." she continued.

Taeyong simply walked pass the doctor, his gaze fixed on his grandma who laid stiffly on the hospital bed. He went to her side clutching her hand in his. The shock still refusing to settle. He quietly sat until realization of what happened hit him. His grandma was gone. He was now an orphan.

He couldn't muster the tears he wanted to fall. His eyes seemed to have dried and he felt a sudden surge of adrenaline rushing through his system. He sighed and went to the clerk outside of the ICU.

"Excuse me", he said, gaining the clerks attention, "I-I...I'd like to pay my grandma's medical fees..." his voice barely wanting the words to come out.

"Sure, what's her name?" the woman asked as she clicked a few things with her mouse, probably minimizing her social media pages.

"Lee Taeri..."

"Okay, one second please." she said and began clicking some more. Suddenly her eyes widened. "The bill has already been settled."

Taeyong raised his eyebrows and opened his mouth in shock, "W-What? That's not possible!" he expressed in utter astonishment.

"It says right here that your relative, a Mr. Moon Taeil has paid the bill up until now." she simply replied.

Taeyongs face paled, it didn't take a rocket scientist to realize that it had been Jaehyun who paid it. He feared for what else he would owe the younger. He then walked off to sit on the outside of the ICU, waiting to ask the doctor some questions.

The following day Taeyong arrived at the hospital. He decided to cremate his grandma as the cost of burial was far too expensive and out of his budget. Also, they didn't have any relatives that he was aware of and so a funeral wasn't necessary.

He waited in the waiting area to collect the urn. When the person came out with it in hand and handed it to him he went to a nearby columbarium.

Taeyong placed his grandmas urn behind the glass window. He took out his wallet retrieving the photo he had of his grandma. He placed it in the corner and suddenly felt such regret. All the empty promises he'd made, now unfulfilled.

"Grandma, I'm sorry. Please forgive me." he said, placing his hand on the closed glass box.

"I'm sorry for disappointing you and not keeping my promises. It seems I wasn't able to pay off the debt in time after all....." he sighed and hung his head down. "I think I may have fallen for the wrong person.... I wish you could have met them.... but it doesn't matter since there's no future for us anyway...." Taeyong continued as he fought back his tears.

The realization hit him again, he was now alone. The only person who gave a damn about him was gone. He began to quietly sob as he looked at his grandmas photograph. Taeyong began to wonder what life did he have in store for him in the future. If there even was one to begin with. There was no point in paying off the debt now other than being freed from his slavery.

Unfortunately he had no solution to how he would get out of the gang. The only thing that came into his head was the thought of leaving. Fleeing to the countryside where they couldn't find him.

Taeyong thought long and hard, clenching his fist. His mind now made up, he was going to live a quiet life and escape the grasps of the mafia. A fools wish, but it's all he could come up with. He then thought about Jaehyun, he hadn't had the chance to explore his feelings. He wanted to spend one last moment, forgetting the pain, before he cut all ties for good.

He took one last glance at his grandma's urn, "tell mom I'll keep my promise, I'll live an honest and diligent life, don't worry about me and rest well, grandma" he then walked away and got on his bike riding to the CEOs house.

As it was the weekend, he was certain Jaehyun would be home and so he left his bike in the parking lot and rode the elevator up to the penthouse floor. Finding his way in front of the door, he took a steady breath and rang the doorbell.

Taeyong could hear the distinctive sound of footsteps gradually approaching the door. He shut his eyes briefly, summoning the courage he needed not to run away.

The door was opened revealing Jaehyun in his white tee and usual pajama bottoms, a heavenly sight Taeyong had to admit. "Tai? What are you doing here?" the younger asked. Within the blink of an eye, Taeyong reached for his nape and brought him forward, attaching their lips together.

-------
Spoiler: smut ahead.
Sorry for the longish chapter.
Hope the story isn't boring.
Thanks for reading! ♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16K 734 28
What happens when the mafia boss can't touch who he likes..
132K 7.1K 33
Lee Taeyong's reckless actions had gotten him in trouble with his father one too many times, and the older man had finally had enough of it. As punis...
271K 9.5K 50
βœ”οΈβœ”οΈβœ”οΈ Completed " Taeyong this is wrong... We shouldn't ...." " But your actions aren't saying you really mean it Jae .." " I... mm.." " Come on J...
158K 6.6K 45
"You're too pretty to be a mob Boss" Ten is the leader of the NCT Mafia, one of the most feared gangs that runs the streets of Seoul South Korea. Tae...