His Revenge (Power Play #1)

By Neon_chocolates

Ethan Lachlan, wealthy businessman and CEO of a fortune 500 company had planned his revenge down to the very... More

His Revenge
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 29

684K 16.4K 2.1K
By Neon_chocolates

Ethan jerked upright, heart racing as his brain struggled to catch up with the rest of him. beside him, Erin stirred and murmured something in her sleep and he felt his pulse begin to steady as he turned to regard the sleeping woman beside him. It hadn’t been a dream…thank God! She was here…in his bed…in the flesh. He felt like bursting into the Hallelujah chorus – he was that excited.

Careful not to wake Erin, he leaned down, gently brushing aside the hair that clung to her face and pressed a kiss on her bare shoulders before easing out of bed. The sound that had woken him came again, and he cursed under his breath. Who the hell could be at his door at…he grabbed his phone to peer at the illuminated display and swore….Jesus! Ten am? He’d never woken up this late…though to be fair, he’d never spent the entire night and most of the morning making love to the most incredible woman in the fucking state.

He grabbed his pants, putting in on in quick sparse moves, then stalked to the door and yanked it open.

“You’d better have a damn good reason to be here.” He levelled a withering glare at his friend.

Looking impeccable in a suit, Marcus raised an eyebrow as his eyes travelled over Ethan, taking in his rumpled state.

 “Well at least you’re still alive.” he quipped, picking up his briefcase and striding past Ethan into the room. “I was beginning to think you’d killed yourself in shame, especially after committing financial suicide.” He stopped abruptly as he took in the clothes that were littered on the floor of the living room, the used glasses and dishes from last night’s dinner. “Oh man! Now it makes sense.”

“Fuck off Marc.” Ethan tried to sound threatening, but he was still on a high from being with Erin. Instead he found himself grinning like an idiot as he moved past his friend to begin picking up the clothes. “And keep your voice down for fuck’s sake, Erin’s sleeping.”

 “Ah hell! She’s still here?” Wide-eyed, Marcus glanced in the direction of the bedroom his voice dropping to a hushed whisper. “So all that bullshit you pulled with the shares was just so you could get into her pants? That’s sick man, I thought you had more guts than that.”

“You should stop talking now before I hurt you.” Ethan snarled, his temper shooting to boiling point as he took a threatening step in Marcus’ direction. “And if you ever utter one disparaging word about the woman I love, then you can consider our friendship over.”

Looking contrite, Marcus held up both hands in a gesture of apology. “Shit, I had no idea…look, I’m happy for you ET and believe me I respect Erin way too much to say anything bad about her…but this in love shit…you sure about this? I don’t want to see you screwed up again.”

“I’m sure and I am not going to discuss my love life with you dude. You’re the king of dysfunctional relationships. Ethan gave Marc a pointed stare and resumed clearing up. “So, what brings you here?”

Marcus moved to the table and began piling dirty plates. “The media’s got a hold of the news, and they’re going ape shit with happiness.” He informed his friend, taking the dishes to kitchen and dumping them in the sink. “The investors are calling for your balls on a platter and there’s even speculation that you’ve gone and lost your ‘mental faculties’ as one of your staff quaintly put it. We’ve been trying to do damage control, but the fact that the said CEO hasn’t been available for comment isn’t doing any favors. So after trying to call a lot of fucking times, I decided to see if you were still alive.”

“Is it that bad?” Erin’s voice broke into the conversation and both men whirled around to see her standing in the kitchen doorway, wearing one of Ethan’s shirts and a worried frown, the material almost seeming to swallow her up.

The sight of her made Ethan forget what they’d been discussing. She looked so damn good barefoot in his shirt, the hem just skimming her thighs, hair tousled from sleep.

“You’re awake.” He said, stating the obvious, and winced. Great conversational skills Lachlan, he scoffed silently, adding his own pile of dirty dishes to the sink. He wiped his hands, scowling at the lascivious way his friend was eyeing Erin’s legs and moved to stand in front of Erin, effectively blocking Marcus’ view.

“Good morning,” He murmured slipping his hands around her waist. “Sleep well?”

Erin blessed him with a bright smile, rising on tiptoe to kiss him. “Morning,” She replied when they came up for air. “Yeah, I had a good night.” She winked at him and giggled, then tugged at the sleeve of his shirt. “I hope you don’t mind? I couldn’t find my clothes.”

Ethan grinned, his eyes lighting up in mischief. “You look damn good, I wouldn’t mind if that’s what you wore all the time.” He lowered his head for another kiss, but the sound of Marcus clearing his throat, brought him back to the present. For a brief second, Ethan considered throwing his friend out, but he knew Erin would not approve.

“Have you met Marcus?” He sighed, releasing her momentarily so he could make the introductions.

She looked over his shoulder at Marcus who hastily wiped the leer from his face and straightened from the counter. Erin smiled in acknowledgement, then her expression turned concerned. “How much damage control are we talking about?”

Keeping an arm around her, Ethan rested his back on the edge of the counter, pulling Erin close so she leaned against him as they listened as Marcus filled them in. He’d known things would go to hell once his actions became public knowledge, so Ethan wasn’t surprised at what was happening. He’d been prepared for it and had even worked with his assistant and media advisor to organize a press conference for this morning. Only, he’d totally forgotten about everything else save for Erin, not that he wouldn’t do the same thing over a million times if it meant he got to have her in his arms.

“You have to go in to work Ethan,” Erin said, when Marcus was finished. She turned in his arms so she could look at him, and his heart skipped a beat at the love and concern he found in her eyes. “Call a meeting of your staff and investors and try to assure them you are still in control of the situation. I could go and talk to my dad about renegotiating the price so you won’t have to suffer huge losses and….”

Ethan cut her off with a gentle but firm kiss. “Baby, I love you and I appreciate the offer, but I’m not budging on this. The price remains the same, and I have already made arrangements to handle this. But all that can wait, I don’t want to let you go just yet.”

 “I love you too Ethan, but you are going to the office and that’s not a negotiation.” Erin’s tone brooked no arguments as she grabbed his arm and began tugging in the direction of the bedroom, while Marcus watched on in approval, enjoying the rare sight of his stubborn friend being bossed about.

“I’ll make coffee while I wait, but take your time.” Marcus said, then grinned as Ethan shot him murderous look on the way out of the kitchen, “Wise choice mate, wise choice.”

Ethan let Erin lead him into the bathroom, his mind already devising ways to get her in the shower with him. A lot of his earlier fantasies had involved making love to Erin in the shower, had always wondered how it would feel to have her body, slick with soap and water writhe in passion.

“You shower first,” Erin instructed as she let go of him in the bathroom. “I just need to make some calls and….hey!” She shrieked as Ethan caught her by the waist and lifted her in one hand, the other sliding open the door of the shower stall. Ignoring her shrieks and giggles of protest, Ethan deposited her inside and turned on the water, drenching them both in seconds.

“I have a better idea,” He said, over her cry of surprise, as he pulled his soaked shirt over her head, then tossed it along with his pants outside.

Erin laughed, and hit his shoulder playfully. “You sneaky little devil!” She gasped, wiping water from her face, so she could level a mock stern look at him. “I should have guessed you were up to something when you let me lead you in here without a word.”

Ethan pulled her into his arms, relishing the way her eyes widened as her thighs brushed up against the evidence of his true intentions.

“Yeah Baby, something’s definitely ‘up’” He murmured, capturing her mouth in a kiss that quickly led to other…far more interesting things as he fulfilled every bit of his secret fantasy.

****

“I could drop you off at the hotel, you know.” Ethan said, much later as he got dressed.

He turned to the mirror to straighten his tie, watching Erin sitting cross legged on his bed, wearing yet another one of his shirts, her wet hair wrapped turban style in a towel.

Erin shook her head, as she ended the call to her assistant. “Not a chance babe. There’s no way I’m doing the walk of shame across a crowded hotel lobby with a chance either one of my parents could see me.” She shuddered at the thought. “Mum would never let me live it down, and besides, my car’s here. Heather’s bringing some fresh clothes.”

Ethan grinned and turned from the mirror. “Walk of shame…I wonder who came up with that phrase. Bloody genius.”

Another thought occurred to him and he sobered. “Erin…Your folks, how do you think they’re gonna react when they find out about us? And I’m just asking because I want you to know I have no intention of keeping our relationship a secret so I think it’s best if I know to expect a bullet in the balls in that direction.”

Feeling nervous, Erin stared down at her hands, mulling over his words. “Is that what you want? A relationship.”

“Hell yes!” Ethan climbed onto his bed and knelt beside her, taking Erin’s hand in his. “I want more than just sex Erin, never doubt that…I want…a partnership with you. Everything, or nothing.”

She sniffed, suddenly emotional and smiled up at him through watery eyes. “I think we can work with that. But it won’t be easy Ethan, I’m stubborn as hell and you’re one determined cuss, and there will be times when we’ll fight and wonder if it’s worth loving each other.”

Ethan nodded, “I know Baby, I have no illusions. And your stubborn hide is one of the reasons I fell for you, because I know you will never take bullshit from me.” He cupped her cheek and grinned. “And I’m counting on you to kick my ass if I need a good dose of humble pie.”

“Deal.” Erin pressed her lips to his, sealing the deal. “And I have a feeling my dad won’t offer up much of an objection. Especially not after this stunt you pulled, and I’ll handle my mum.”

“OK.” Ethan pulled her to him and kissed her hard and thoroughly before climbing off the bed. “I gotta head out before Marcus comes barging in here. There’s cereal in the kitchen in case you’re hungry and believe it or not, Marc makes awesome coffee.”

He grabbed his suit jacket, pocketed his phone and keys, then paused and turned to rummage in his dresser. He pulled out a key card and handed it to her.

“What’s this?” Erin asked, though she already knew the answer, a small smile played across her lips as she looked up at him.

“That’s the key to my heart….” Ethan drawled in a singsong voice and she burst into laughter. “Yeah…stupid I know. That’s a spare key to this place…so you know…you can come whenever you like.” His throat suddenly felt tight, and he coughed.

“Thank you.” Erin rose to her knees and crawled to the edge of the bed to hug him. “Now, shove off Lachlan, before they decide to sell your company right under your nose.”

****
Erin strode into the hotel, Heather at her heels, hurriedly taking notes as she rattled off a list of instructions. One look at the reporters that crowded the main entrance and she was grateful she’d changed before leaving Ethan’s apartment. Inside the lobby, the first person she spotted was Aunt Lorna and she muttered a quick prayer of thanks.

“Erin!” Aunt Lorna spotted her first and made a beeline in her direction. Erin stopped and pasted a smile on her face, noting the worried look on the older woman’s face.

“Good morning Aunt Lorna,” She greeted leaning forward to give her a hug. “Why are you down here? Is something wrong?”

“It’s Nicola.” Her aunt practically wailed, grabbing Erin’s arm and steering her towards the restaurant.

Erin’s smile slipped as familiar feelings of guilt and worry swarmed her. Shit! She’d completely forgotten to ask Ethan what he’d said to her cousin…oh God! she hoped he hadn’t hurt her.

Forcing her expression back to neutral, she calmly allowed Lorna to lead the way into the restaurant.

Once they were seated, she leaned forward. “What about Nicky? What’s happened?”

 “I was hoping you could tell me.” Lorna said, “I got a call from her this morning saying she was in London and something about seeking professional help….she sounded so…depressed and confused. I know she’s taken the breakup with that….that….silly man real hard, but that’s no reason why she should go halfway across the world. Erin, I know you two are close, so please, I need to know if she’s said anything…”

Nicky had left the country? Erin stared at her aunt, too stunned to say anything. When had she gone? What the hell had happened between her and Ethan?

“I haven’t seen her in days,” Erin said slowly, worried for her cousin. She turned to Lorna. “Auntie, did she…did you see her before she left? I mean not immediately before, but a couple of days back? Was she injured?”

Lorna looked alarmed. “What? Are you implying someone assaulted my baby?” Her voice rose sharply and she gripped Erin’s arm painfully. “Do you know if someone hurt my daughter and that’s why she ran away?”

 “No!” Erin’s voice came out much sharper than she intended and she winced and took a deep breath. “Auntie…I’m sure Nicky is fine, I haven’t spoken to her yet, but if you’ll give me the number she used, I will call and see if I can find out more ok?”

Her aunt looked relieved and whipped out her cell. She gave Erin the number and Erin excused herself from the table.

She hit speed dial and Ethan’s number came up. He answered on the fourth ring.

“Hey,” His voice sounded stressed. Erin could hear voices in the background and guessed things were still hot. “Is something wrong? I really can’t talk now though, I’m still in a meeting.”

“Just a quick question Ethan,” She said, suddenly hating herself for adding to his worries. “Did you do…something…to Nicky? I mean, I know you were angry Ethan and I’m just worried because maybe you lost your temper or something…and hit…”

She trailed off and closed her eyes, knowing she’d put her foot in it. He was silent for several long minutes and Erin could almost feel the hurt coming off the phone.

“I’m not a fucking animal Erin.” Ethan finally responded, his tone curt. “I would never harm a woman, intentionally or fucking otherwise. I merely suggested she leave you alone and go somewhere where she wouldn’t cause trouble. Now if that’s all, I’ve got to get back..”

“Ethan, wait…I’m..” Erin started to apologize but the line went dead. She let out a loud groan.

She shut her eyes and leaned her head against the cool wall, feeling a strong urge to kick herself…hard. She’d hurt him by jumping to ridiculous conclusions and assuming the worst and now, her foot was so far up her ass, it would require surgery to extricate herself from this mess. She tried his number again, but he must have turned it off, because her call went straight to voicemail.

“Freaking great job Erin.” She mocked herself, dialling Nicky’s number next, reluctant to talk to her cousin, but knowing her aunt was expecting answers. She waited as it rang, her mind still running through ways to apologize to Ethan…nothing short of all out grovelling on her part would remedy this…

“Hello?” Nicky’s voice broke into her thoughts, and Erin felt a rush of differing emotions…anger, relief, grief…at the sound. “Who’s this?”

“Hey Nicks, it’s Erin.” Swallowing past the lump in her throat, Erin let shut her eyes and took a deep, calming breath.

There was a pause. “Oh ummm…hello Erin.” Erin could hear the guilt in her cousin’s voice. “I guess my mum talked to you huh? I was…going to call you as soon as I’d settled in a bit. You know…to apologize for being a bitch.”

Erin rubbed at her aching temples, “I see. So, London? I thought you’d try and….sort out things with Ryan.”

Nicky sighed, sounding tired. “Ethan gave me some advice and I decided it was a good idea. And Ryan…” Her voice trailed off for a broken moment. “I hurt him too much to expect him to forgive me this quickly. Besides, I figured I should seek some help for my…problem before I try to fix that relationship. I’m scared that I’d only repeat stuff if I stayed. Erin, look…I’m really really sorry for what I did to you, I realize that it’s all part of my being totally messed up and I don’t like the person that I’ve become…I need to change before I hurt anymore people.”

“OK, Nicks. But please remember that I’m…here if you ever need me for anything.” Erin felt bad for her cousin, only imagining how much misery she was in. “And Nicky? Goodluck.”

“Thank you, that means so much.” Nicky sniffed back tears. “And please Erin, give Ethan a chance ok? I don’t know if he’s said anything to you yet…but…he cares about you a lot and I want you to be happy. Good bye.”

Nicky hung up, and Erin blew out a breath. Luck…yeah she was going to need a lot of that. She straightened and retraced her footsteps back to their table, where she assured her aunt that Nicky was alright. She made her excuses and left quickly, thinking furiously about a way to make things up to Ethan. An idea occurred to her.

****
Erin found her parents at their home, having a late breakfast.

“Erin!” Her mother’s face lit up in delight. Harold Gosling looked up from his copy of the Wall Street Journal and smiled as Erin walked up to give him a kiss. “How lovely you could join us darling, it’s been a while.”

Erin dropped a kiss on her mother’s cheeks then slid into an empty seat, accepting the glass of juice Victoria passed over. “Hey Mum,” She said, stealing a piece of toast from her dad’s plate. “I missed you guys, so I decided to come over.”

Harold snorted and closed the journal, picking up his coffee mug, his eyes glinting with humor. “Of course…of course…and this visit has nothing to do with needing a favour? Impressive.”

“Harold!” Her mother scolded, while Erin just grinned and bit into her toast. “How can you say such a thing to your daughter? Be nice.”

Harold merely raised an eyebrow at his wife, before turning to Erin. The two shared a conspirational look, well accustomed to each other’s banter.

“You look loads better Dad.” Erin’s eyes took in the healthy sheen of his skin, and his leaner but toned look. Her brows rose. “Jeez, have you been working out?”

Harold beamed proudly, happy that she’d noticed. “Yep, an hour and a half on the bike, followed by sit-ups, push-ups….and then golf of course. My game is off the charts I tell you and I’ve never felt healthier.”

“Wow! That’s…amazing.” The routine made her feel slightly guilty for her almost non-existent quest for fitness. Sure she visited a gym a couple of times, but mainly because Kim insisted on dragging her along, though she tended to avoid those places like the plague. She shot a surreptitious look at her legs beneath the pencil skirt and winced, suddenly self-conscious as she wondered what went through Ethan’s mind when he saw her naked…did he compare her to those svelte, skinny models he’d dated before? The thought caused an unexpected swell of jealously as her mind flashed pictured him wrapped around some skinny blonde doing the dirty deed. She shook her head to clear the image, and bit into her toast in defiance. The models could go hang, Ethan was hers now…not theirs and besides, being a size eight was healthy.

“Erin!” Her mother’s voice brought her back to the present and Erin looked up to find both parents watching her with identical puzzled expressions.

“Sorry…I was…er…thinking… maybe I should start working out more.” Erin mumbled, pasting a bright smile on her face. “You were saying mum?”

Victoria studied her daughter for a minute, while Erin tried not to squirm. For god’s sake she was grown woman now….her mother’s ‘all knowing’ gaze shouldn’t want to make her blurt our every darn secret she had.

“I asked if you wanted anymore toast.” Victoria said, breaking the look and Erin breathed a sigh of relief.

“No, I’m good. I already ate.” She’d had a bowl of cereal at Ethan’s place while waiting for Heather. Which brought her back to the real reason for this visit. She leaned forward. “Umm, dad? About those shares- are we really going to buy them back at that rate?”

Harold shot his daughter a puzzled look then sighed. “Ah, so I’m not the only one who feels I’m ripping someone off for my own damn shares. Between you and I? I think that boy’s lost his damn mind and I told him so when he approached me with the offer. I don’t mind buying them back at the original rate he got them…and his lawyer seemed to think so too.” Her father pursed his lips and shook his head in bewilderment. “I was surprised to say the least, but your Uncle urged me to take the deal.”

“Dad, that deal could ruin his company.” Erin said, careful to keep her tone neutral. “I read the papers this morning and it doesn’t look good for him – or us – for that matter if we go ahead with this.”

“I don’t see why that’s such an issue.” Her mother said, lips tightened in disapproval. “The man practically stole those shares and in the most underhanded way possible. We shouldn’t be worried if he destroys himself.”

Erin closed her eyes and prayed for patience. “Mum, it doesn’t work like that. And Ethan taking those shares didn’t really hurt the business. Matter of fact, he actually managed to save the kitchens and acquisitions departments a lot of money by coming up with a cost-effective menu reshuffling. Though I opposed it at the time, but it’s been doing remarkably well. And Ethan’s a good man Mum, he was just misguided and angry but he’s changed now.”

Silence followed that speech as both parents cast her speculative looks. Erin groaned inwardly, burying her head in her hands as she realized how she had sounded. Great way to break the news that she was now sleeping with her family’s former arch nemesis, just fucking great.

“So…” Victoria leaned forward, resting her forearms on the table. “Do you want to tell us what this is really about?”

“And don’t even think of denying anything Erin Amanda Gosling.” She added the warning in a stern voice when Erin opened her mouth. “I know you too well and I have seen those filthy gossip pages and I haven’t forgotten that scene at the hospital.”

Erin groaned aloud this time. “Mum, seriously? A man’s business is in jeopardy and you want to talk about my love life?”

Harold looked from one woman to the other, his expression bewildered. “What scene at the hospital? And what gossip pages?”

Erin slid down her chair a little as her mother proceeded to fill him in. This was not the way she had intended to break the news…and now from her father’s darkening expression, this were just about to go…in Marcus’ own words…apeshit.

Harold looked at his daughter. “Is that why he’s suddenly so adamant on returning those shares? Because you...heaven forbid…slept with him?”

Well, technically the sleeping part had come before that…but there was no way she was admitting to anything. Then Erin heard her mother gasp in horror and she clamped a hand over her mouth as she realized she’d spoken out loud. The look on the parents face was priceless.

“Ah shit! Look mum, dad, there’s no need to freak out, please. All this was a misunderstanding, and no, he didn’t return it because he’d slept with me. He did it out of a misguided…but incredibly sweet notion of making amends. It’s a long story but please, can we go back to the matter at hand?”

Harold folded his arms across his chest, looking belligerent. “There is more to this than you’re letting on, young lady and I want the full story now.” He reached for his phone and dialled a number. “Fraser, get me Mr. Lachlan on the line now.”

“Dad no!” Erin jumped to her feet, eyes wide in horror as she frantically crossed the table but froze at a look from her father. “Dad, there’s no need to involve him in this. He’s already having to deal with the fallout from his announcement…for god’s sake dad!”

Her father ignored her, speaking into the phone. “I don’t care if he’s with the devil, tell him to get his ass to a phone or I will cancel the deal.” He ended the call and looked at his daughter. “Sit down, and start from the beginning.”

“Jesus, dad! You can’t order us about. I’m twenty-eight years old for crying out loud, it’s my decision who I chose to sleep with.”

“Not when it affects the family, it doesn’t.” Harold cut in firmly. “I have stayed out of your affairs before now, but this is crossing the line and if that bastard has any sense, he’ll be picking up a phone this minute.”

As if on cue, his phone rang and Erin felt the color drain from her face. Her father put the call on speakerphone. “Good morning Harold,” Ethan’s voice sounded calm, but puzzled. Erin caught a slight hint of exhaustion and felt guilty. “I understand you want to speak to me?”

“Mr. Lachlan,” Her father went right to the point. “My wife and I have just heard some disturbing news regarding your underhanded dealings with my daughter, and I demand an explanation. Since my daughter is not being forthcoming with one, I would strongly suggest you start talking.”

The line was silent for a few minutes, and Erin cringed, imagining what was going through his mind right now. “Is Erin there?” he finally asked, his voice had acquired a hard edge to it and Erin knew she was royally fucked.

“I’m here Ethan,” Erin sighed, resigned to the fact that by the time this interrogation was over, Ethan would want nothing to do with her.

******

Un-fucking-believable. Ethan listened in disbelief as Harold Gosling spoke, the man’s animosity evident in each uttered syllable. What the hell was Erin up to? First, with the phone call where she’d practically accused him of doing bodily harm to Nicky…her distrust plainly evident and now this? What the hell was she playing at?

“Is Erin there?” He asked in a hard tone, hating the fact that things were spiralling out of control and he had no clue what was going on.

Her voice came over the line. “Yes, I’m here.” Erin responded, her tone heavy with some unidentifiable emotion. “Ethan, I’m…”

“What the fuck is going on?” He cut in, hearing a shocked gasp at the other end and he recalled her mother was listening in as well, but right now, he didn’t give a damn. “I’m in the middle of a shit load of chaos right now, and the last thing I need is you screwing…”

“How dare you speak to my daughter in that foul language?” Another female voice cut in, brimming with indignation. “I don’t care for your tone Mr. Lachlan, and I believe my husband asked you a question, not that I require any explanations as to your crude behaviour, it’s so obvious you’re nothing but a worthless scumbag out to take advantage of my daughter…she can do so much better than a nobody from god knows where –“

“Mum!” Erin cut in, but the damage had already been done.

Ethan felt himself grow cold, a deep bitter cold at those words that completely obliterated any remnant of warmth left inside. Victoria Gosling’s words cut deep and hard, but rather than pain, all Ethan felt was cold, hard fury. His free hand gripped the edge of his desk so hard the knuckles turned white and he was dimly aware of raised voices at the other end of the line, and Erin’s voice above all the others, saying something in a pleading tone, but for the second time that day, Ethan hung up on her.

He managed a bitter laugh that didn’t pierce his chilled, dead heart. This was the second time a member of the Gosling family had called him an advantageous opportunist…with varying descriptions of course and he didn’t know which hurt worse – her mother’s words or the fact that Erin had sat there and allowed it.

He’d poured out his whole damn heart to her, had risked his damn company just to prove the authenticity of his feelings and she’d let him believe it was reciprocated…and all this while it had been a lie…she’d told him she loved him and like the gullible fool he was, Ethan had fallen hook, line and sinker.

Damn…but Erin Gosling was good. Almost as good as Nicky, who would always take the bitch crown.

 He needed a drink. Striding towards the small bar in the corner, Ethan pulled out the bottle of brandy he normally reserved for big clients and poured himself a stiff drink…and another…and another.

Marcus found him an hour later, nursing his sixth glass, slumped on his chair. “Christ man! What the hell?” his friend strode forward and snatched the glass from his hands, earning him a growl and a string of curses. Behind him, Laura gasped, eyes widening in shock as she took in her boss’ drunken state.

“You have the press waiting in the conference room for close to an hour and you’re here…getting drunk?” Marcus fairly yelled at him in frustration, setting down the glass on the desk. He took a good look at Ethan and felt like tearing out his hair. “What the fuck man? What the fuck is this? Have you lost your mind?”

Ethan merely shrugged and attempted to rise, staggering as the effects of alcohol hit him hard. He cursed again, gripping his desk for support as the room spun crazily. “I’m going home!” He announced to no one in particular, steadying himself enough to make his way to the door.

Marcus grabbed him just before he planted his face on the carpet, his mouth tight with disapproval. “I’m surprised at you ET, what brought this on? I know you’ve been stressed out all morning but you’ve handled shit better than this man. And what do you think Erin’s going to make of this juvenile behaviour?”

“Fuck off fairy god-mother.” Ethan slurred, shrugging off his friend’s hold. “And Erin fucking Gosling can fuck off as well…matter of fact…why don’t you go stick your head up her ass and find out what she thinks huh?” He chuckled bitterly. “No, wait I can tell you what she thinks- that I’m a worthless no good bastard…that’s what she thinks.”

Marcus’ brows rose in a mixture of surprise and understanding. “So this is about her, huh?”

“I’m leaving Marc, and I swear I’ll deck you if you try to stop me.” Ethan growled, reaching for his car keys. Laura, who had watched the scene in frozen shock, sprang into action and snatched the keys from the small side table before he could reach.

“You’re fired!” Ethan pointed a finger at her, eyes narrowed in anger. “Get your things and get out of my office, you understand?”

“Yes Sir,” Laura replied, clearing humouring him for now. She caught the look Marcus threw in her direction and nodded, understanding the unspoken request. Grabbing Ethan’s coat, cell phone and briefcase, she opened the door and hurried out.

“Come on Bro, let’s get you home.” Marcus said, placing a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “And if you’re still up for it, we could share a drink or two.

*****
“I’m leaving!” Erin announced in a stiff voice, too angry at her parents to risk staying a moment longer. “And you both better pray Ethan’s still willing to even talk to me after this….ridiculous stunt, or I swear, I’ll never forgive you.”

Without waiting for their reaction, she stormed out, heading quickly for her car as she fumed at her parents high handed behaviour. They had no right to interfere in her private life, and what they’d just done was unforgiveable. Her heart constricted as she tried to imagine how Ethan must be feeling right now, and she felt apprehensive. He’d been furious, she knew that much, furious at her and if she knew him at all, he’d probably put two and two together to make five and that did not bode well for their budding relationship.

She entered her car and sighed, feeling a jolt of exhaustion and pain. The day had started off so well too. She mused, recalling the time they’d spent together, wishing she hadn’t persuaded him to go in to work after all. Maybe if they’d spent the day together like Ethan had originally wanted, none of this would have happened.

Needing some courage, she picked her phone and dialled Kim’s number. Her friend answered on the first ring.

“Soooooo…I’m guessing things went spectacularly well,” Her friend drawled, mischief lighting up her voice. “I didn’t hear from you last night and all morning….you sly bitch….so was it good? Amazing? Mind- blowingly super deli-awesomely spectacular sex?”

Despite her agitation, Erin couldn’t help a smug smile from crossing her face. “The third option and more.”

Kim’s excited squeal caused her to wince. “I knew it! I knew it! You lucky bugger. I want details, and the r-rated version, if you please. Are you still at his place? Can we like meet somewhere so you can tell me about it?”

“Kim…” Erin shut her eyes, all her apprehensions returning in full force. “I think I’ve ruined everything…”

“So he actually said the words? ‘I love you Erin’…he really said that?” Kim leaned her elbows on the table and regarded her friend in disbelief.

Toying with the paper napkin on her table, Erin nodded, swallowing down the lump in her throat as she stole yet another glance at the tall building across the street, wondering what Ethan was doing right this moment. Kim had agreed to meet her in a small café close to Holbourn Enterprises, Erin needing female reassurance before she dared try to talk to Ethan.

She quickly ran through everything that had happened. As she recounted her first phone conversation with Ethan, Kim groaned aloud. “Erin, for god’s sakes! Please tell me you didn’t!”

Erin buried her head in her hands, feeling like the biggest fool ever. “I know…I wasn’t thinking straight… I’m a horrible person and I’ll do anything to take it back. Kim, he sounded angry afterwards and what my mum said just sealed the coffin on our relationship. Now, I don’t know what he’s thinking or where I’m going to start apologizing…I won’t blame Ethan if he decides to throw me out of his office….but I just know that if I wait till he gets back….it may be too late.”

“It’s not too late.” Kim reached over and took her hands, offering a consoling smile. “Look, I’ll even come with you, but I’m sure there’s no need to worry. He loves you Erin and he’s gone and made this huge sacrifice just to prove it. I’m sure he’ll be willing to listen and forgive.”

“God, I hope so.” Erin prayed, a little relieved at Kim’s certainty.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

747K 17K 81
With both of his hands to either side of me, he leaned closer, less than an inch away from my ear. I felt him take a breath and the hairs on the back...
6.6M 237K 61
#3 on Featured list! "I need you to be my wife." he said lifting her chin up, forcing her to look at him. "But, we don't love each other." protes...
1.4M 9.6K 10
To some, Marriage is a word. To others, A sentence. 「❀」 YOU CAN READ THE FULL AND EDITED VERSION OF THIS BOOK ONLY ON GOODNOVEL. 「❀」 ミStory Ranking...
24.9M 614K 24
All Samantha is asking for from Lucas is to forgive her for ruining his life four years ago, but how can that be possible when the only thing on his...