Behind The Gate of Lakeview

De Rihanna_Adedeji

Jadeshola Badmus is not your regular female lead. She's outspoken, Brilliant, Sassy, beautiful, intelligent... Mai multe

Behind The Gate Of Lakeview
~one~
~Two~
~Three~
~Four~
~Five~
~Six~
~Seven~
~Eight~
~Nine~
~Ten~
~Eleven~
~Tweleve~
~Thirteen~
~Fourteen~
~Fourteen~ 2
~Fifteen~
~Sixteen~
~Seventeen~
~Eighteen~
~Twenty~
~Twenty One~
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
~Twenty Four~
~Twenty Five~
~Twenty Six~
~Twenty Seven~
~Twenty Eight~
~Twenty Nine~
~Thirty~
~Thirty One~
~Thirty Two~
~Thirty Three~
~Thirty Four~
~Thirty Five~
~Thirty Six~
~Thirty Seven~
Meet The Characters 💖
~Thirty Eight~
~Thirty Nine~
~Forty~
~Forty One~
~Forty Two~
~Forty Three~
~Forty Four~
~Forty Five~
~Forty Six~
~Forty Seven~
~Forty Eight~
~Forty Nine~
~Fifty~
Fifty One
~Fifty Two~
~Fifty Three~
~Fifty Four~
~Fifty Five~
~Fifty Six~
Questions and Answers

~Nineteen~

2.9K 765 155
De Rihanna_Adedeji

             Dedicated to Orangee1 ❤️ I'm grateful for your comments and all, they keep me going.

Guys, remember that this chapter is unedited. Feel free to point out grammatical errors too. Thank you 💓

                            ~Jade's POV~

On days like this, I wish I had a more normal family. Don't get me wrong. I love my family. I love them so much but then, people say things like 'We don't know the value of what we have until we lose them or something like We are not grateful for the things we have because we see people that seem to have more things than we do.

That's the phase I am in right now, sitting at Hana's dining table watching her parents eat together like they do every other day. Damn! I can count the number of times my whole family eats together on my two hands in a whole year. It was our cultural day in school, a day when all students dress in their traditional attire reflecting their cultures. We have Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, Igbira, Edo, and then Hana, our Korean. I had slept over at her place because her make-up artist will be the one to do my makeup. I wish my family will gather to eat food together like this, even just twice a week or maybe dinner but then, Dad is always in his hospital. If he's not in his hospital, he'll be in a conference, and mom, she's always tagging along. Makes me wonder how they raised us, but then there was Grandma, the woman that practically raised us.

'Jade!!'

Hana shouted across the table.

'hmm'

I murmured, trying to reorganize my thought.

'You're spacing out again.'

Before I could answer, her mom spoke up

'Are you okay?'

'Yes, ma.'

I glanced at her mom, so brown, so pale. The first time I saw her, I thought she was sick because of how pale she is. Then I turned to look at her dad, a very dark man who no matter how hard I try, I really can't place the both of them together. I wonder how they fell in love, how they decided to go against all odds and get married. Hana used to say her dad went to South Korea to do his masters and that's where he met her mom, a working-class lady who was almost at the top of her career. Then they fell in love, got married even when her dad's family was against it. Her dad went against their orders and got married to a kata, a white woman). He did not come back to Nigeria because his father threatened to disown him if he should bring home an Akita woman. Then they had to come to Nigeria when Hana clocked Ten. We probably have heard about how biracial kids get bullied in foreign countries, well, my best friend is living proof of that. She has undergone three different surgeries to get rid of the stab scar on her lower abdomen, there's still a faint scar that's visible.

'If you're done spacing out, let's go and get dressed'

Hana said again and I laughed.

'Don't mind me. I was thinking about you.'

'Jor Jor Jor, don't think about me. I never asked you.'

I laughed again and we both stood up to go to her room. Her makeup artist arrived a little later.

*******

Hours later, we arrived at school and the first thing that I fell in love with is the different colors students wore. All these in combination with Lakeview's beauty was a sight to die for.

'Wow, this is just too beautiful.'

I said as we stepped down of the car.

'It's a sight to die for. These are much beautiful attire. God! I'm so glad to be a yoruba girl.'

I laughed.

'Yoruba girl indeed. By the way, are you comfortable in that huge thing?'

'Jade, stop calling it a huge thing. It's called Hanbok and yes, I'm comfortable in it.'

I laughed again as we rounded the corner leading to the SS3 block and we bumped into Daniel and Uthman who were both dressed in matching Agbada.

'Oh, my omo. You look Spectacular.' Dan said smiling sheepishly at Hana who in turn turned even pinker. I shook my head and walked off.

I was about to enter our classroom when Akin. I guess he did a double-take because he looked taken aback.

'Wow wow wow. Where's your waist, my love?

I smiled.

'Such a tiny waist, your future husband will be happy.'

I smiled wider and rolled my eyes.

'The compliment should be you look beautiful and you have a very tiny waist, don't you think?' I asked him.

'Well, I guess my eyes did all the talking.'

'Gross'

'The prefects should get all the students to the hall now. The program starts in 20 minutes.'

A teacher called out from the first floor and we were sworn into action. A minute's later, the hall was filled to the brim with students in colorful attire, and once again, I'm blinded by all these beauties. The hall was decorated with artifacts, some depicting ancient settings of huts, palaces, rivers, calabash.

'Trust Lakeview to always give us the best.'

Hanifa, the labour perfect girl said beside me. We were positioned near the junior classes to maintain order and silence.

'As in. I'm impressed with these settings. Truly magnificent.' I replied her

Exactly 5 minutes after 10, the program started with an opening prayer rendered in Yoruba by Oluko, our mathematics teacher, then a drama in yoruba set in the old Oyo empire about a lady called oluronbi, who went to the iroko tree to beg for a child, in desperation, she said she'll return the child after a year even though she could have used Goat, Sheep and the like. After a year, she went to plead with the iroko tree to take a goat from her but the iroko tree refused vehemently. Since then, the villagers started singing this song

Oníkálukú jèjé ewúré
Others offered sheep
Oníkálukú jèjé àgùtàn, àgùtàn bòlòjò
Others offered goats
Olúrónbí èjé omo re
Oluronbi offered her child
Omo re a pón EPO
Her beautiful child
Olúrónbí ò jo jo
Ìrókò Jojo
   [The last twolinesarejustchorus]

 It was the song that got me, making me Nostalgic. Oh. I miss my Grandma, she used to tell us folktales like this. The hall erupted in applause when the drama ended. The other drama was from the other tribes, a short Igbo film, and a yoruba dance drama. Then, the cultural dance, my favorite aspect. I've been a fan of cultural dances since I was a kid. I've participated in cultural
dances since I was in primary school.

After the whole program, the social perfect girl announced that she has a special performance for everyone. I was surprised because Hana did not tell me anything about any performance. I watched her climb the stage in her hanbok with a hand fan in hand. Oh, God! Is my best friend about to do that hand fan dance we see in Korean films? And that's what she did. Halfway through the dance, twirling around while standing on her feet and swinging her hands, I glanced at the hall, the students all looked stunned and I noticed Uthman was now standing beside me with Daniel, who was staring at Hana, mouth slightly opened. The dance ended with a bow from Hana and the whole hall clapped, more vigorously than they did earlier.

'Wow, I'm so in love with this girl. Like completely and totally and passionately in love.'

I turned to look at Daniel who was staring at Hana who was walking towards us with a huge grin on her face.

'It's pretty obvious. The deal is for you not to break my friend's heart or else you'll have me to answer to.'

'Yes ma-am' He did a mock bow and I smiled just as Hana got to us.

'Wow. Babe, that was a mind-blowing performance from the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.'

Hana blushed harder and I shook my head.

'So Hana, we slept on the same bed last night and you could not even tell me about this. Ehn?'

'It's meant to be a surprise na.'

'For me really?'

'Oya main.'

'The SS3 students should come and snap pictures.'

A teacher called out from the door and we all walked outside. Students were snapping in front of the huge graffiti outside.

'All the prefect should snap first.' Our class teacher, Miss Nwokeji said and all the senior prefects snapped together. Next, all the SS3 students stood in front of the graffiti.

'The head girl and the head boy should stand side by side.'

Our class teacher ordered again, she was standing beside the cameraman.

I swapped places with Daniel to stand beside Uthman.

'You guys should smile na.' our class teacher said again and the camera poised ready to take the shot. This moment right now will be the last cultural day I'll have in Secondary school. This time next year, I'll be at the university.

'You look beautiful today.'

Uthman murmured beside me and I tensed up.

'But I know it's the makeup and your beautiful Ankara that did the magic.'

I turned to glare at him. He was looking straight ahead and grinning at the camera. And then the camera went off.

Click.

                       ********

                   Uthman's POV
'Uthman, you guys have a PTA tomorrow, don't you?'

My dad asked. We were all sitting at the dining table eating a breakfast of Jollof Rice and Plantain. It was the morning of our cultural day and it was also Christmas day in Moji's school and she was dressed in this huge red ball gown. She looked really cute and then absurd and I keep smiling at her.

'Yes,' I answered him, without looking at him.

'And did you tell anyone?'

'It's not like you'll have the time to come anyways. Why bother telling you?'

I replied still not looking at him.

'You'll look at me when you talk' He said again, his voice raised and the sheer force of his voice made me look at him.

'Yes, I don't have time to attend frivolities like that. I'm too busy attending to more important stuff for your future and your sister's. But you have a mother, don't you?'

I glanced at Aunty Wura, she was chewing her food silently.

'No, I don't. My mother died years ago

Then I stood up from the chair and walked out of the dining room, of the house. I got into the car and my driver drove off to school. I was in a good mood earlier but dad ruined it all. On days like these, I wish he had died instead of mom. I missed her. I missed her so much. I wiped my face when I noticed it was getting wet. Damn Uthman! Boys don't cry. We soon got to school and the students clustered around in two's and three's in their colorful dresses snapping pictures. I saw Michelle and her gang first. They were dressed in the same dress but in different styles. Michelle came over as soon as she saw me.

'Hi Uthman, I love this your Agbada. It's so fine.'

I forced a smile. 'You look good too.'

She smiled before saying 'Let me go and call Aminah, she should come and snap us.'

She started walking towards Aminah but I grabbed her hand.

'No, lather, let me go and look for Daniel.'

I said and left without a backward glance. I was still in a shitty mood. I wonder how I'll enjoy my last Cultural day in school if I continue this way. I sight my best Friend and Akin playing game in the classroom. Dan was dressed in the same Agbada as I am and Akin wore a well-tailored Ankara. The way he did his cap was funny and it was meant to make me smile but I just stared at it, not feeling anything.

'Hey, Guys.'

I called out and they both looked up murmured their reply and went back to the game they were playing on their phone. Boys and games.

'Will you guys get your ass up?'

'Come on guy, we're almost done.' Akin replied and looked up. He saw a girl walk past our corridor and he stood up pronto.

'Guys, I'll be back. Just a minute.' He murmured and ran after the girl.

'Just tell her how you feel already.' Daniel shouted after him and Akin gave him the middle finger without looking back.

'How far? You look disturbed, you okay?'

I shrugged, trusting Dan to always see through me.

'Yes. Just Dad's issue and stuffs at up.'

He smiled, stood up, and patted my shoulder and we started towards the stairs. We ran into Jade and Hana. Dan sucked in a breath when he saw her. I nearly laughed seeing her in that huge Hanbok. The bitch beside her wore an Ankara with a very fine pattern. Her gentle was styled perfectly and she looked.....

Daniel said something I did not hear and a smile flickered on her face before she turned to walk away. I turned away too, leaving Hana alone with Daniel. I was about to catch up with Jade when she saw Akin. I stepped back and then a teacher murmured something about the prefect getting the juniors into the hall. I left.

The program passed away in a blur, the only thing that nearly excited me was the drama about Oluronbi but it did not, why? Because it was one of the stories mom used to tell me. I felt choked up watching all the dances. I left the hall for a while but I ran into a teacher outside and she ordered me back inside. After the program, we went for the photo session. When Jade swapped places with Daniel to stay beside me, I don't know how the silence in my throat eased away. Maybe because I felt like teasing her. I don't why but I enjoy doing that these days.

'You look beautiful today....'

I could feel her smile even without turning to look at her.

'.... But I know it's the makeup and the Ankara that did the magic.'

The look she gave me made me smile. For the first time since morning.

Typical of Jade but so, untypical of me.

Fam, please remember to vote after reading. It means a whole lot. Thank you. Hugs and Kisses 💋 💋

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

8.4K 366 32
WARNING ⚠️ This book I am not proud of and I could have done better. In my opinion it's kinda bad but be my guest to give it a shot and find out you...
11.8K 1.8K 32
Meet Channelle. A young, teenage girl moved from Abuja to Lagos, due to her father's new employment. For her last year of high school, her parents en...
69.9K 2.3K 13
THIS IS A BOOK FOR YOUNG ADULTS Young and innocent, Enitan Hassan struggles between family problems and high school competition with her best friend...
14.7K 4.4K 67
She is beautiful. He is handsome. She is rich and kind. He is wealthy and arrogant. She believes in love and finding her soulmate. He hates love and...