Run to Me

By CheyaraWrites58

A new job in a small and quiet town should be a piece of cake, but when mechanic Athena Summers meets her new... More

Run to Me Trailer
Starting Over
Insight and Irritants
New Arrivals and Secret Demons
Welcoming Party
Temptation
Indulgence
Things Left Unspoken
Resistance
It's A Start
Live Fast, Be Free
Let Me In
Uncovered
Returning Disappointment
Forced Hand
Into The Lion's Den
A Shove in the Wrong Direction
Not Alone
Lurking
After Hours
Drive In
Under The Stars
Bait
Trap
Aftermath
Epilogue

Speed

7.6K 307 14
By CheyaraWrites58

The following week was crazy busy. Myself and Jett had barely had a spare moment together outside of work, I missed him. Which was indeed weird, given that we were technically together all day long, but we each had our own jobs to do, meaning that we barely even exchanged more than a few words. Thankfully, that aside, everything seemed to be back to normal. The anxiety I'd been feeling after the London trip, and the appearance of Carl, had finally subsided, along with the disappearance of the stranger from the pub.

It was lunchtime on a Friday afternoon, and I found myself sitting in the pub, once again scrolling through websites and eating a cheeseburger. Jett was still at the garage, tied up practically rebuilding an entire engine from scratch. He'd insisted on me coming out to eat so that I could fetch him a burger to take back, both of us craving some decent sustenance after a busy morning and an extra early start.

"You're in your own world today."

I looked up at the sound of the voice. Callen's face was a few feet away from me, smiling broadly and clutching a take away box.

"Figured you were nearly done." He said nodding towards the last bite of burger on my plate.

"Thanks." I replied with a nod, picking up the bit of burger and popping it into my mouth.

"Busy day again?" He asked, leaning against the side of the booth.

"Yep, I best be getting back, I have a bunch of stuff to get on with." I said, getting to my feet and taking the box from his hand.

He nodded and moved away, getting back to work as I headed towards the door, ready to return to work.

When I got back, Jett was still slaving away on the engine. His face was screwed up in concentration and there was a tenseness to his posture that I recognised as a sign of him being focused, and frustrated, by the task at hand.

"One cheeseburger with extra relish and pickles." I said in a sing song voice, walking towards him and swishing the box through the air.

His eyes practically bugged out of his head upon seeing the box, and he instantly dropped the tool from his hand, making a grab for the food. I laughed as he wasted no time in tearing off his gloves and ripping open the box, his hands scooping up the burger and lifting it to his lips. He took a large bite, letting out a satisfied groan as he chewed.

"Why don't you go out back and eat that? I can take over here."

He paused, then began to chew slowly, swallowing the food a moment later.

"Are you sure?"

I slapped him affectionately on the arm.

"Absolutely. Go on, take a break." I assured him, practically shoving him towards the back room.

With him gone, I cranked up the radio, pulled on a pair of gloves, and got to work. Soon enough the upbeat music had got to me and I found myself half dancing as I worked, my hips swaying in time with the song.

"Well that's quite a sight."

Jett's voice cut through the music and I spun around to see him leaning against the ford fiesta next to where I was working.

"Admiring my phenomenal dance moves?" I asked playfully, giving a slight shimmy for affect.

"Of course, you're a natural talent." He teased.

I laughed, and turned back to the engine, it was coming along nicely, between us we'd managed to nearly complete it.

"I'm heading to the track tonight, I need a destress after this week. Was wondering if you wanted to tag along?" Jett asked, picking up some new gloves, and putting them on.

"I'd love to." I replied cheerfully, recalling the memories of the fun I had at the track last time.

"Great, we can head straight over from here."

"Sure, I have a change of clothes out the back still anyway." I said, tilting my head towards the back, "Can't be getting grease stains on those gorgeous seats." I teased.

He laughed and shook his head, a renewed sense of energy and fun flowing through him, bringing colour to his cheeks and a sparkle in his eyes. Deciding to make the most out of the positive atmosphere, I swayed a little to the music, smiling at him as I swished my hips a little more and reached out to him.

"Nooo." He said, dragging it out as he raised his hands and went to step back.

I was too fast for him though, capturing his hand and holding him in place.

"Come on, you know you want to." I whispered playfully.

His brows arched as he looked at me, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips, yet he didn't move. Just as I rolled my eyes, ready to comment on his stubbornness, he tugged me forwards, causing me to squeak in surprise. Twirling my hand making me to spin into him, landing against his firm torso.

"I knew there was a dancer in there somewhere." I breathed, my lips only inches from his as I looked up into his crystal blue eyes.

He chuckled slightly, then leant in kissing me slowly and tenderly. I quickly became lost in the kiss, barely even registering the way that we held each other, moving in a slow sway side to side. The music disappeared, our bodies following the loudest beat of all, our hearts.

Darkness fell and we changed into clean clothes. Jett drove the car out whilst I locked up, pulling my black jacket on and dusting down my jeans as I walked to the car, and slid into the passenger seat.

It was nice being back at the track. The freedom that came from moving at that speed was intoxicating. I wound down the window a little as Jett accelerated, taking off into another lap, the night air was cold and refreshing. I closed my eyes, breathing it in and catching the slight smell of fuel that lingered from our previous lap. The car began to slow as we neared the finish line again, then came to a stop. Jett left the engine running and opened the door. I nearly leapt out of my seat as I realised it was my turn to drive. He'd barely done up his seatbelt as I pushed my foot down, sending us rocketing forwards. The track blurred into a mass of colour as the speed climbed and climbed. I loved how the car drove, such elegance, it was like flying.

Many laps later, I was slowing down, ready to hand control back to Jett, when he turned to me.

"How about you drive us back?"

Not even answering, I beamed at him and spun the wheel, taking us towards the exit, Jett laughing at my side as I took us back out onto the main road. The drive back to the garage went too fast for my liking, I already looked forward to the next time I could be behind the wheel.

"Pull up inside, I need to fill her up." Jett said, jumping out as I stopped outside.

He moved to the doors, pulling them open and stepping aside for me to reverse in. Once parked, I climbed out standing and leaning against the car, my arms crossed on the roof whilst Jett picked up a fuel can and began to pour it into the car. I walked around the back and came to a stop next to him.

"Thanks for letting me drive."

He kissed my cheek tenderly, closing the fuel cap and putting the can on the trolley behind him.

"You're welcome. You looked so happy back there, I was enjoying it too much to stop it."

I was touched by the sweet sentiment, and kissed him again, smiling against his lips.

"Well now, isn't that just adorable." A cold voice echoed from the doorway.

I felt Jett instantly tense, as we both spun towards the doorway. There stood a tall, muscular man. His shaved down hair muscular stature were intimidating and alongside the tattoos that covered his arms, gave the appearance of a man who was not to be messed with. His icy blue eyes were fixed on Jett and an evil smirk was pulling at his mouth.

"Long time no see, Jett."

Confusion fogged my brain and I looked up into Jett's face, seeing the mixture of fury and pain that was etched deeply into every line of his face. That's when I realised.
"Holt." I muttered.

Jett's chest was rising and falling frantically, he nodded slowly, but didn't take his eyes off of Jackson.

"Ah, you've heard of me then Miss Summers." Jackson said proudly, his eyes landing on me. "I can't pretend I'm not a little surprised. The Carson boys were never really big on sharing their secrets."

I was taken aback by his knowledge of who I am, but that emotion came second to the longing I had for tearing his throat out at the callous and taunting reference to Kyle.

"Don't you dare speak to her." Jett growled, positioning himself in front of me.

It was then that I realised why he was holding himself back. I could see the desire to launch himself at Jackson, to make him hurt to destroy him. But he wasn't, because he wanted to keep me safe.

"She's quite special from what I hear." He continued, ignoring Jett. "Impressive woman... mechanic. Quick witted, smart mouth. I've looked forward to meeting you Athena."

I felt my blood boil, and glared at him.

"And just where are you getting your information from?" I spat.

Just then, I noticed a silhouette moving behind him, then out of the darkness stepped a face I recognised, and it all fell into place.

"You!" I shouted in anger.

His vivid green eyes were filled with glee, he was enjoying the moment. The same smirk on his face as when he'd sat across from me in the pub.

"Hello Athena." He said calmly, reaching behind him and pulling out a gun.

He held it loosely in front of him, pointed to the ground whilst his other hand locked around his wrist. The perfect stance of someone awaiting an order from his leader.

"It's a shame that it has to end this way for you, but you see, I have some unfinished business with Jett, and it'll be easier with you gone." Jackson said coldly, sounding almost bored. He gave a small nod, and the other guy instantly lifted his arm. I didn't have time to even react as he aimed it at me. Then suddenly Jett let out a yell, and out of nowhere, launched himself at the guy, knocking him to the ground and slamming his fist into his face.

"Get in the car!" he shouted, punching him again.

I saw Jackson's face turn from shock to anger as I ran and jumped into the passenger seat, seeing Jett jump back to his feet.

"Watch out!" I called, seeing Jackson's arm rear back ready to swing at Jett.

He dodged it easily and ran to the car, jumping into the driver's seat just in time for the rest of Jackson's entourage to storm through the doors. He turned the key quickly and the engine started up with a deafening roar. Jett slammed his foot down, sending us flying out of the door, the men all diving to the side to avoid getting run down. He spun the steering wheel to the left, taking the sharp turn fast, and making the rear end of the car spin out. I looked in the rearview mirror as we sped down the road, watching them jump into their cars and follow after us. Jett swerved out onto the main road, narrowly avoiding a collision with an oncoming car that beeped its horn as we sailed past. He didn't let up on the accelerator as he grabbed his phone, and dialled a number, hitting the call button as he overtook two cars, rejoining our lane just in time to miss a truck coming the other way.

"Hey Jett, wha-"

"Rome, he's here. He found me." Jett said quickly, just as a car engine roared behind us, and a huge force slammed into the back of us.

"Shit, where are you?" Roman asked on the other end.

I sat there, holding onto the dashboard, watching them approaching in two large four by fours.

"Jett, go right!" I shouted, as I saw them preparing to hit us again.

Jett gripped the wheel and spun us out to the right, his foot pushing down harder, our speed increasing even faster.

"Athena's with you?" Roman asked, panicked.

"Yes. We're on the main road, heading out of town, but they're right behind us." Jett said hurriedly.

A car in front suddenly began to break, making Jett swerve to avoid running right into it. Just as he steered to the side, one of the pursuing cars slammed into the back of us again, sending us flying forwards, straight into the path of an oncoming car in the next lane.

"Lookout!" I screamed, but it was no use.

The lights were blinding as they illuminated the inside of the car, followed by a deafening crash of metal on metal. My eyes closed as glass showered us from the windscreen. I tried to reach for Jett as I felt the car fly through the air, rolling over and then slamming, roof first, into the ground. It continued to roll bouncing with each impact, until with a loud creak, it landed upside down. I couldn't even figure out where I was, I felt like something was pinning me down. I tried to open my eyes, but they were so heavy. I could feel something warm and sticky running over my face, and I felt the nearly unbearable pain, like hot knives, stabbing and slashing all over my body.

"J... Je... Jett?" I managed to whisper, feeling a searing pain in my ribs as I tried to call out.

No reply.

I tried to move, but my body wouldn't respond. I could hear screams and other sounds nearby, but they sounded like they were coming from underwater, too far away to care, or even matter. I just needed to know Jett was okay. I forced my eyes to open, but everything was blurry, too hazy to make out, and I felt like I was spinning. I blinked again and tried to focus on what was in front of me. I could make out something dark nearby, and stared harder, the blurriness passing slightly as Jett came into focus. He was laying close by, his body twisted as his torso was pressed half against the roof, his arm up by his head, and part way out of the shattered window. There was blood running down his face and neck, his t-shirt torn, the dark fabric looking wet where it was covered in blood.

"J... Jett?" I tried to call again, but there was nothing more than a small mousy squeak that escaped.

I tried to move, to reach for him, fear flooding me at how still he was, but again my body refused. I felt sick, the scene in front of me swaying again as a pounding started in my head. I got weaker and weaker the more I struggled, then everything began to blur again, darkness coming in fast, until everything went black. The image of Jett's motionless, broken body, imprinted in my mind as I desperately tried to call for him, but made no sound.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

296K 3K 7
Hawk- The Vice President of the Rebel Souls MC has a secret. He's his President's right hand man, a bad boy with a bad attitude and rockin' body to m...
107K 5.3K 35
Lance always the one to love a woman and leave her unable to fall in love because of a past that he doesn't speak of but when he begins to have unexp...
204K 5.3K 30
Athena comes home for the holidays to a big surprise. When she arrives in her old home place in Lakeden she finds out that she is in a marriage to so...
29.1K 1.8K 36
The line between right and wrong had always been clear to FBI Agent Nikita Valance. As far as she was concerned, there was no in between. But that wo...