The Ruined Rainbow

By SayeshaL

Cover credits: @missoctowriter Earlier known as, "The Sweetest Smiles Have The Darkest Secrets." ***** Two p... More

THE RUINED RAINBOW
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
Author's Note
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95
CHAPTER 96
CHAPTER 97

CHAPTER 38

366 21 4
By SayeshaL

Quote: Sachi Mohabbat Zindagi Mein Sirf Ek bar hoti hai ... aur jab hoti hai ... toh koi Bhagwan yah Khuda use nakamyab nahi hone deta.

True love happens only once in life ... and when it happens ... then God makes sure that it is successful.

-Veer Zaara ( 2004)

Ayesha

A month later,

Well, everything in my life is going quite...uneventful.

Uneventful? Yep.

Apart from the fact that I had bagged a superb job at L&MS; as a senior web designer and developer, a job that paid be 2.5 lakhs per month.

Money doesn't matter as long as you learn to enjoy life to the fullest and your expectations. This job was a superb one, I was told; one of the best placements ever in The Indian University.

I didn't choose this job for money. No. I wanted a job where I could stand independent. A job where I could live as per my life wants; my heart desires. Money was external.

Another thing that happened was persuading Vinay Chacha, about Kavita Di. I had called him to speak about the difference, and he immediately rushed to Delhi. For which I felt very guilty, may I add.

And once again, we met in the caverns cafe; the only difference was that this time I was speaking. And he was listening. I was frank with him; I told him my thoughts and opinions, and his first reaction was, "No way. "

"Mam, --"

"Ayesha, " I corrected for the umpteenth time;

"The company is called Mehra Infrastructures; it is named for a reason. How can you allow a Tiwari to manage the company? Especially after what happened? Your families hate each other; you are aware of that I hope? "

"Our families hate each other, but we don't, " I say, trying to inject some sense.

"Mam, " I gave him one look, and he changed course quickly, "Having a Tiwari will be a disgrace, to the Mehras. To Aman Mehra."

"No, it will not. " I snapped.

"Chacha, listen, I am not doing this for her, I am doing this for myself too. Moreover, she is family and is searching for a job; I am searching for a person to hand over this company also. What else could be required? I will be honest; I don't want this company. I don't want this company at all. I don't want any fame nor any money. I want to live alone, independent and satisfied. Not regret. You can call me parsimonious, prejudiced or selfish, or self-centred, I agree. I am all of that. But I will not change my mind; this company has been an ugly reminder of my brutal past. It is a revolting reminder of my father's death. It is a thing that snatched all my happiness, four years ago, and I desire nothing more than to get away from there. And let's face it, we both know that I am not at all interested in the company. Kavita Tiwari is an able girl. She is much elder than me.She has her masters in business from Standford and is very professional. She has five years of experience in the company she worked for in the USA. For personal reasons, she quit her job, and now I shall not say no to her. I want her to lead the Mehra Infrastructures. I am sure; the company will flourish under her guidance and reliable support.  "

I said realising I have spoken none stop for  1 minute and 46 seconds. I paused to drink water and emptied the entire glass. He gave me a long searching look, and then with a stiff nod, he looked away and excused himself out.

I felt terrible and criminal. Vinay chacha, for the last few months, had occupied a position equivalent to a father for me. He had no children, and he treated me like a daughter of his own. And when he left the cafe, my heart broke to shreds. I sat there, watching him hurl a cab and disappear away. I stood there unable to move for minutes, each chunk of my heart immersing more profound and more in-depth.

I called him twice after that, but he didn't reply. I sent a message to him, asking him to meet me two days after, to introduce Kavita and all other official processes to complete, he texted back immediately saying that he would be there.

Two days after, I, Kavita Di, and Vinay Chacha met again in a small open cafe. He sat opposite to Di and me and spoke only when necessary.  Chacha had appeared with all papers, and he went through all the documents and pushed them forward, gesturing me where to sign.

The company was still in the name of Satish Mehra. But because of criminal status, I had taken over as the head. Chacha had told me once, that this was just an immediate step, this will become more official when I complete my education. The documents I had signed were passed to me again, and then to Kavita, she took the pen, looked between the two of us, and her hands shaking signed the documents. And when it was my turn to sign, I would look at Vinay Chacha to watch him look at me with an expressionless face. I would feel very derelict and guilty. I wish I hadn't spoken to him like that the other day.

And once all the procedures were over, Vinay Chacha stood up and told Kavita that he would explain things to her once she reached Mumbai. And muttering a goodbye, not looking at me, he bolted to the exit. I gestured Kavita that I would be back to which she nodded nervously. I hurried to the door, calling out for him. He stopped. However, he didn't turn.

"Look, chacha. I know what I am doing is unacceptable to you, but please understand me. I want to go away. I want to go away from the company. I don't want it. I want to listen to myself; I have spent all years of my life heeding to other orders and demands. And for once; I want to do as per I wish. But please don't be mad at me. You are a friend of my father, and occupy a place of an equivalent father in my life. But please don't hate me. Please?"

I felt terrible and guilty for being selfish and listening to myself alone. But that gave me happiness. Going ahead with my dreams gave me joy. If you call that selfish; well, yes. I am selfish.

He turned around and looked at me with his eyes watering slightly, and that my heart was going deeper down. But what he spoke shocked me;

"I have always been devoted to Aman. He was not a friend, but a master to be — a master of immense kindness. I am not sure if you know this, but he was very generous. He spent lakhs of money by giving them to the needy; and when I asked him why; he always told me, " Giving doesn't reduce. It gives you more. "

"And when you tell me today that you are giving this position of CEO, of a million net worth company, to someone you met recently because she is searching for a job, reminds me so much of Aman. Many would die to have a job here, and you are giving away the topmost position to your cousin, I don't think it is right. Yet, I can see the Aman in you."

"You call yourself selfish, but I think more than selfish, you are generous. Giving is one quality which only a few are blessed with. You are ready to provide help to her even when she is an outsider, just because she is needy. I don't know if you are selfish or not, but you are generous. You are."

"The girl, Kavita, must be blessed to have a cousin like you. Aman, I think he will be proud to see you like this today. Independent and generous. "

I stayed silent, tears filling my eyes too. And then, I folded my hands as a thank you and bent to touch his feet. He placed a hand on my head and blessed me.

"The company will be open always to you. You can come anytime to drop your ideas on investments. And by the way, we made it into the list of Great 100 this year. Because of the Chopra deal. All thanks to you. You are a great investor. " he said, chuckling slightly.

"Sure."

"Where are you going to work?"

"L&MC. Senior web designer and developer. "

"L&MC... That's a great company. Have a great life, Ayesha. Just remember this; do what you want. Don't listen to anyone. And remember, whatever you do, Aman is and will always be proud of you. "

I smiled. How do things change within a short time? I was persuading him to listen to my wishes and the next moment he advises me to listen to myself alone. He indeed is a person equivalent to my father. He folded his hands, and I did the same. He murmured goodbye and left. I watched him until he left the cafe and disappeared on the road, feeling a mix of sadness and happiness.

I walked back to Kavita Di, who was staring at her coffee cup. I sat down opposite to her.

"Congratulations, CEO of Mehra Infrastructures. "

She didn't look up but spoke softly,

"Ayesha...Ayesha, I don't think I will be able to do it."

"Do what?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't manage the company. I'm sorry, " she said and blinked her eyes continuously, to wipe out the tears.

"Kavita Di. Calm down, tell me what is wrong?"

"Ayesha, it's all very mixed. The truth is that I am very immature to manage such a big company, and second, I am a Tiwari. Kavita Tiwari. The Mehras hate us, our clan. And... You don't know what rubbish people would talk about. They will speak for years. And no one from our families will like it. I don't think I did right. I am so stupid; I shouldn't have signed up the papers at all. I am so mad. I will leave to Bangalore tomorrow, itself to find a job there-"

"Kavita Di, please stop, " I say firmly.

"Listen to me Di, I trust you. Blindly, regardless of if you are a Tiwari or Mehra or any other caste for that matter. You are a graduate from Stanford University, a topper of the batch 2014, five years of experience in a top firm in the USA, what else do I require? You are not immature. Instead, you are going to rock. The company is going to rock. "

She chuckled feebly, "That's funny, "

"And second, " I continued, pretending not to hear her comment, "I don't care about if you are a Tiwari or any other clan. I just know that you are a pretty awesome sweet sister, who is very intelligent and charming. And about the people; they can go to hell. I don't care about what they think; they can think whatever they want. "

"Out families? They hate each other!"

"About our families?" I stood up suddenly, and she looked up in confusion, I came forward and hugged her tightly, " Well, the hatred ends here. Now, at this very second."

It took her a minute to respond, and she quickly hugged back, wetting my sleeve by her tears.

"Thank you, Ayesha. I am thankful to you. If you weren't here-"

"Sh. Sh." I said, patting her back. And she broke the hug, and I sat down beside her, putting an arm around her,

"What if I fail? I fail to manage and make the company worse?"

"Then we will bring it to the top again. " I chuckled and added seriously, " You won't. I trust you; you will not fail."

She gave a watery smile as she wiped her tears, and said again, "Thank you. How can I ever thank you for this-"

"Don't, " I advised.

She looked like she wanted to protest but remained silent after looking at my expression, "Do you know any beautiful houses in Mumbai? Any apartments? "

"Yep, " I said puzzled, " but why?"

"For me to stay there so that I can go and come back easily-"

"You are going to stay alone?"

"Ya?"

"Near the company. Alone?"

"Yes?"

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah?" She gave a nervous chuckle.

"No way. You are staying with me. "

"Hell no."

"Hell yes."

"No Ayesha, " she protested, " You have already done so much for me, you don't have to bother about my lodgings, "

"You are staying in the Mehras Residence, and that is final. Get it?" I say firmly.

"No Ayesha, I don't think that is good-"

"Nope, " I said,

Kavita Di looked unconvinced,

" Hey, I am asking for my benefit. I need you because I can't stay alone, "I joked.

She chuckled slightly and remained silent for a long time. She muttered an "all right, " at last.

"Yes, " I say giving her a high five, which she responded dully, I quickly changed the topic, and we chatted cheerfully for the next few minutes.

"When are you leaving to Mumbai?"

"Today Night. 10 pm flight. "

"Di, " I complained, " Why do you have to leave today? Tomorrow is my convocation. You could have stayed, and we could have left together!"

"I'm sorry, Ayesha. But Vinay uncle asked me to come tomorrow; he called me the day before yesterday. "

"He called you?" I asked, shocked.

"Yeah, " she said sheepishly, " In fact, I was almost going to tell you I could not do it, but he persuaded me to take up the post. He requested me to do so. "

My respect for Chacha increased even more. I remained silent thinking how good he was.

"Oh, okay, till then, what do you intend to do?"

"Nothing, " she said in a bored tone.

"So, you are free?" I asked slowly.

"Yep."

"Mind coming with me for shopping?" I grinned at her enthusiastic face that was bored to death, seconds ago.

*

Well, we had gone to Street Bazaar. I realised that apart from my saree, I practically had no accessories to match up with. I was always a girl, least interested in accessories and makeup, but from the past eight months, something had gotten inside my head.

My convocation was tomorrow, where I will be graduating. I will have a degree tomorrow. This is the day that makes all the four years worth it. I will have a degree. Tomorrow.

So, as I mentioned earlier, apart from my peacock blue saree I had brought days ago, I realised today morning when packing that I would have to rush to the stores to buy something to put on.

Yeah, packing. Well, I am leaving for Mumbai tomorrow. I hadn't told Sahil, and I want to give him a surprise. I told him I was coming over next week. So, yeah, when I was packing, I saw I had no accessories and realised I would look foolish if I go just like that.

Thankfully, Kavita Di was here with me. She questioned to me in detail about my saree, asking me to mention all the minute details. And without a word, she dragged me to a shop that sold jewellery.

And after around three hours, going to five different shops, troubling the owners a lot by asking him to display every single jewellery they had, we had arrived at our conclusions.

I had purchased a silver ethnic choker adorned with small silver beads and had a classic look with it. And also, I had brought matching long silver earrings, which dangled around and looked like coruscating diamonds, that almost came to my chin. And Di had also insisted on buying silver bangles, so I had brought them too. Each of the bangles was embellished with small stones, in an alternate pattern, which one couldn't notice until they looked carefully.

After a lot of insistence from me, Kavita Di reluctantly agreed to buy some jewellery for herself. She brought two pairs of beautiful earrings and three everyday wear chains that were simple yet gorgeous. She refused point-blank when I said that I was going to pay, and even snatched my purse and paid for all the jewellery we both had brought.

We had stopped at a cafe and had food for our fill. And then, I dropped Kavita Di to her hotel, where she had already packed her luggage. I struggled inside my bag, drawing out a large metal key, with a keychain that had 'Mehras' written and highlighted. I don't know why I still have that keychain with me. When I left Mumbai, I had locked my house and dropped the key into a chamber of my bag I never open. She accepted the key but told me that she would prefer staying in a hotel tonight, and would stay with me once I return.

I offered to accompany her to the airport, but she refused and advice I head to the hostel as soon as possible. After wishing her a safe journey, I go back to the hostel with a small bag that contained all the jewellery.

Once inside my room, I look at the emptiness. All the photos I had put on the wall were neatly packed. So were my books in the study table. My wardrobe was empty apart from the saree, and two pairs of salwar kameez, one for tomorrow and the other an extra. My make up set remained along with it. I look at the three big trolleys at the corner, which consisted of my clothing's and books and other essentials.

Apart from my clothes and some other stuff I had nothing to pack. My bed, murals and study table was to remain here.

I had gone through the list of second year's and found a girl of impoverished background. She was here only because of her merit and struggled in her house to study because of the reduced power supply. I had asked her to take over this room, to which she gladly agreed and thanked me profusely. So, she was to live here, and I most certainly did not need any other stuff here. While packing, I found the bundle of my frocks. I had given that to her also when she met me yesterday night, along with a reasonable sum of money that would pay her fees for another two years.

I threw my dupatta to my study table and switch on the fan, falling on my bed. I was damn exhausted today. I smiled when the cold air hit my sweaty face, and in moments all the beads of sweat had disappeared, leaving a very pleased me.

I turn around and put my hands behind my head and stare at the ceiling.

I will be leaving Delhi in less than 24 hours. Delhi... The place I hated. Because of my college. And, also, because of the four years I spent here was agony and torture. Being bullied every single day, but most of all, Delhi was a reminder of Aneesh Gupta.

Funniest part?

I feel sad about leaving it. For thousands of years, I wished to run away from here and now when I am going, I feel sad.

Delhi, even though I hated, sheltered me from my past. From my uncle. From life, I hid from everyone. Delhi had, in one way, made me strong, because of Aneesh.

And now I will be leaving it.

Hmm, I close my eyes to relive some memories of Delhi. The coffee trips and car rides with Aneesh, the sunsets and garden visits, the days when Sahil was here, my previous birthday when Sahil had arrived when he had taken me to his hideout when he played the guitar, every single happy memory came to my mind and replayed one after the other.

I am interrupted by my phone ringing, and I stretch my hand to get it, not moving my body an inch. When I managed to reach it, I gave a triumphant smile. I looked at the Caller ID and smile.

Think of the devil and the devil calls.

"Hello, Mr Malhotra, " I say playfully,

"Hello, Ms Mehra, " he says continuing the play,

"How are you doing sir?"

"Very well. Very well. How is madam doing?"

"Great, though, she would like to know what kept Mr Malhotra from not picking up her call yesterday? "

"Well, he was busy, you see. Involved in a shoot, but tell madam not to worry, the long wait of eight months is over finally, and she can meet her hot best friend in a few days."

I broke out laughing and could hear him laughing from the other end too. He quickly told me about his shoot yesterday before I could ask. Usually, I beg him to repeat the events of his day to me. And I listen amusedly, I fold my leg and place the ankle of my other leg on its knee, flexing my toes and surveying it.

"And that wraps my first schedule in the movie, the next is in April-May, but no more interruptions for a month for sure. What about you? What did you do today?"

"Nothing much actually. I had gone shopping today to buy some accessories for graduation tomorrow. " I say, squinting at my toes.

Why are my toenails not cut?

"I was already fed up with the number of choices I was forced to look at, and there was this stupid man who thought I had taken away his mobile phone, by mistake. And when I said I didn't have, he began arguing with me. And the entire store had to calm him down. Such idiocy and lunacy are enough to put him in an asylum. That stupid asshole."

I heard whistling from the other end.

"What?" I said narrowing my eyes,

"You cursed. "

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You cursed for the first time. You said it! "

"But, " I said red in my face, flustered and thanking God that he couldn't see my tomato face, "I just said asshole!", cursing my mouth for this unnecessary blabbering.

"That is coming from your mouth is like @#$%, "

"Language!"

"English."

I rolled my eyes, and Sahil questioned again, "who are you and what have you done with my Ayesha? "

"Shut up, Sahil," I replied, ignoring the happy somersault my stomach did when he said my Ayesha.

"Woah, that's a second curse. " Sahil chuckled,

Why does his laugh sound so good? Damn it.

"Sahil, " I say embarrassed thoroughly, "please let's change the subject, shall we?"

"Fine, " he still chuckled, and then after calming himself, "When are you coming back?"

"Uh, " I say, "Um... I am coming next week, " I lied, knowing that he would have caught my lie, but he continued,

"That's seven days, I have to spend without my Ayesha then, " he whined.

My stomach, can you please stop somersaulting?

"Hmm"

"Hey, it's your convocation tomorrow. You are graduating tomorrow!"

"Yeah, " I say in a bored tone.

Suddenly, I realised that I would be alone tomorrow and no one will be there to watch me graduate tomorrow. No one.

" Please tell my Ayesha, a best of luck from her dear Mr Malhotra, " he says from the other end.

'Please tell my Ayesha, a best of luck from her dear Mr Malhotra, ' I mimicked him quite horribly, "Why don't you tell her yourself? "  I said in mock anger and frustration.

Pause.

"Okay," he said seriously, " open the door."

My leg dropped to a thud on the bed as I sat up in lightning speed, and I stared at the door with my fingers gripping the mobile tightly. My heart began to beat loudly.

And all I hear is laughter again.

I lightened my grip and looked down, but not laying down again, "Haha, hilarious, sir. You are lying, " I say, trying to calm my heart.

"open the door Ayesha, "

My fingers tightened yet again, and I walked to the door, my heart racing back. I place my hand on the handle and remove it again. I put it again and remove it again. And I continue this process for a thousand times,

"I don't believe you. You are lying, "I say in a small voice,

" Come on, Ayesha, open the door!"

I rush to the table and hurriedly put my dupatta over my chest, and put a hand over my head, attempting to flatten it. I look like a devil now, but I can do nothing.

"If you are not outside, I am never going to speak to you again, " I said in a diminutive voice, as I clutched the handle and pulled it open. And my jaw dropped.

He took his mobile away from his ear and cut the call without breaking his amused look, which was directed to me, and placed it in his back jeans pocket. He grinned and raised his arms forward for a hug. As I stood there rooted to the spot,

Standing before me was Sahil Malhotra.

Damn.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2K 2.2K 35
"No... Abirrr..." screams Mishti... tears are flowing from her eyes, she is damn horrified after seeing the sight in front of her eyes... Abir sees h...
239K 14.7K 37
3 brothers, 3 women and 3 stories The vicious love of royals is a combination of 1 family and 3 vicious romances 1. THE VICIOUS BET Daharthya Rajpu...
23.2K 3K 42
Cupid never had a chance in their messy, parental-restricted love story Karishma Jha, a twenty-one-year-old recent graduate with the world at her fee...
512K 19.3K 69
SHRANAV OBEROI - 27 yrs CEO of Shriar & co. A tall, well built , handsome man, has anger issues, to arrogant known as the devil in his office. Loves...