Kitsune

By PrayForTay

Demons: man-eating, murderous monsters who would kill anyone for the blood of humans: be it man, woman or chi... More

i. demon
ii. winter
iv. summer
v. autumn

iii. spring

264 4 1
By PrayForTay

The same evening of the day Fuuta spoke to Hoseok and entrusted him with a glass spider lily, Taehyung also paid him a visit. Coming by his room for a chat about what was asked of them.  He already knew Hosoek wouldn't bend so easily and would need a small push of persuasion to do anything regarding you. So, as a token of a friendly chat, Taehyung had brought with him a small gourd of sake with 2 brilliant red painted ochoko with him for the two men to leisure with.

The samurai slid open Hoseok's door, catching him in the middle of polishing the only sword of his in use.  "Have a drink with me for a bit, Hoseok." Hoseok wouldn't turn down perfectly good sake, even if he knew that Taehyung wasn't just here to have a drink with him.

The two sat in silence, both nursing on their own red ochoko of sake before Hoseok broke the silence enveloping the two warriors.

"Are you trying to get me drunk to agree to relocate that fox?" Taehyung chuckled at Hoseok's curt tone, sipping on sake with a relaxed, content grin and shut eyes. 

"Not necessarily."

It wasn't commonly known among Hoseok's peers because of the distance he placed between him and them, but although he is a warrior he was a simpleton when anything liquor is involved.  His constitution for alcohol was anything but strong.  Easily the most vulnerable lightweight Taehyung knew.  It also wasn't known just how gut-spillingly open Hoseok was when intoxicated.  It was those factors that lead him to hardly ever having even a bit of liquor.  He only ever drank in front of people he deeply trusted- a small few to be sure.

Taehyung sat and listened to the woes of his friend silently.  If Taehyung was anything, it was a listener.  He listened to and heard many things as he filed them away into his memory.  A strong skill to be certain, as Taehyung's memory is something most people can't comprehend- it's as if he never forgets a thing he's learned. 

Hoseok spilled his guts about how uncertain he is about Fuuta's request to move you somewhere else.  He was frustrated by his lack of information and the fact that Taehyung and Fuuta both kept hiding things from him.  He expressed the urge to break the glass flower Fuuta gave to him because he just knew it was linked to you somehow. 

Taehyung would be lying if he said he didn't feel the slightest bit guilty about it all. 

He stayed completely silent the whole time with only assured head nods to show he was listening.  He eventually watched as Hoseok took the stages down before he was nearly at his pass-out limit.  Slowly rolling into the territory of drowsiness, Taehyung cut off his intake and loosened his obi around his waist.  Pulling Hoseok's futon set out onto the floor, Hoseok was already sleeping in a blissful drunken heap on the tatami.  Dragging him to the futon and tossing the blanket on him, Taehyung silently left the hunter to sleep in a dead-drunk state. 

Only lightly laughing in relief.  It had been some time since he had caught a glimpse of the open, sour-mouthed Hoseok he used to be.  Drunk Hoseok always felt like a trip back in time to Taehyung. A trip back to a time where everything wasn't drenched in sorrow or anger.  A time he often found himself dearly missing.

Hoseok was rudely awakened by a harsh shove to his shoulder.  Ignoring it once was a mistake because after the initial shove followed a sharp kick.  Yelping he shot up and pried open his heavy eyes.  Looking up and seeing Taehyung grinning above him, he sneered back.

"Bastard," Hoseok hissed as Taehyung innocently shrugged as if he did nothing wrong. Not at all guilty about the fact he got Hoseok drunk.  Rubbing his head and tossing his tangled mess of auburn hair, Hoseok pulled his legs to ta cross-sitting position.  Pulling his kimono sleeve to his nose, he sniffed it and winced.  "I smell like sake," he grunted.  The scent of the strong rice-wine purging straight through his clothes.

"Yes, you do." Taehyung chuckled in agreement.  "Get up. We're going into town."

"Why?"

"Because I told you so."

Hoseok rolled his eyes before he started rolling his kimono off his shoulder.  Letting the fabric gather and hang off his hips from the loosely tied obi around him.  Taehyung grabbed Hoseok's arm, helping the headache-hungover man up.  Taehyung whistled in awe at Hoseok's physique, something he did often in good fun- resulting in Hoseok to roll his eyes.  Not like Taehyung's body was any different than his.  Taehyung was probably more fit than him, he just didn't flaunt it.

Changing without a word with Taehyung loitering in his room with him, Hoseok didn't question the samurai about why he was being forced to go into town.  He knew he wouldn't get an answer anyway.  Taehyung was too good at deflecting and avoiding questions; Hoseok wouldn't waste his breath.

When both men had made it to the entrance of the compound, Hoseok stopped walking and sneered.  There you were, dressed casually in your standard priestess-like garbs and your hair tied back with a ribbon much like Taehyung's and a parasol open over your head. Hoseok briefly thought that Taehyung was the one who tied your hair back in the first place.

Some demons can easily become burned by sunlight.  Some consider the sun lethal in specific cases.  You would never effectively die by being in the sun, but too long in its light does bring a spec of discomfort you wish to avoid. 

You heard their footsteps as a wind of cold blew in small breaths past you.  Winter was already sapping the once spring-stuck stime the compound had been stopped in.  Turning, you saw Taehyung strolling closer and you didn't seem to be shocked to see Hoseok at his back- frozen in his steps. You returned the glare he offered you.  Neither two of the party of three were pleased.

Taehyung had more or less forced you to leave the compound today along with him and Hoseok.  The hunter, however, seemed to be left in the dark about your accompaniment until now.

"Hoseok," Taehyung called with a stern voice without looking back at him. "Don't lag behind." Hoseok bit his tongue. He could tell that if he even thought about fighting back on the topic that is you joining them, Taehyung would take him to the dirt until he screamed mercy and complied. The samurai would get what he wanted and that was the end of it.  Hoseok simply returned to walking, his steps albeit more dragging now, as both of them soon stood before you.

"Glad to see you listened to me, Y/n," Taehyung spoke to you.  You just looked away from him.  "Come now, you cannot possibly be angry at me." You scoffed at him.

"I can and will be."

Taehyung simply chuckled as he turned to Hoseok who was staring off somewhere; scanning anywhere that wasn't in your specific direction.

"Now then," the samurai started, "shall we be off?" He gestured for you to leave first, even the gentlemen's rule of thumb- ladies first.  He moved Hoseok by nudging him forward by his shoulder before the three of you started the walk into town.  A walk that seemed longer than usual because of the tense atmosphere.

Hoseok had his arms tightly crossed in place across his chest.  Out of all peoples, why had they run into a group of rowdy rugrats? Hoseok tolerated children at best- most being just too much for his patience to handle.  Of course, pair that fact together with how much of a people magnet Taehyung is, the entire ordeal spelled disaster in Hoseok's case.

You didn't seem to mind the children- acting rather indifferent actually.   You'd scold them when they tugged on your kosode sleeve or try and grab your parasol from your grip.  You answered questions they fired, but you didn't engage any further.  You never sought the attention and the constant brow crease you tried to ease was a clear indicator of that.

Taehyung, however, completely fawned over the children.  In his day to day life as a civilian, Taehyung was the complete opposite of his ever strict, samurai alter-ego. If anything, his talent for being able to effectively separate the two made Hoseok envious.  Hoseok wasn't as personality flexible as his friend, and he often wished he was.  Memories of the past flooding in his head and how he used to be.  Of course, the memories of 'him' followed with the past.

Hoseok's mood plunged further as he squeezed his eyes shut- willing away the past from his mind; at least trying to.  His grip unconsciously whitening his knuckles on the hilt of his sword.  No intent of ever drawing, but using the cold of his scabbard to remind him that he was in the now- the period of his life that revolved around fighting and killing demons.  He had been away from his trade too long- he was losing his focus.

He wasn't cut out for dealing with kids.  For escorting demon's around- he glared at the side of your face, eyes following the curve of your redlined cheeks.  Watching the winter air puff around your lips with each exhale. He wasn't cut out for complicated bonds or being kept in such a people-infested place. 

"Keep growling and the children will cry," you spoke out of nowhere at Hoseok's side.  Hoseok grit his teeth as he stood beside you with a three-foot distance between you both.  He narrowed his eyes at your face as you did nothing but stare forward.  Not even looking in his eyes. "I'm a demon and I do not frighten them, yet with that look on your face," you finally looked at him, a scowl painted on your features. "You'll send them running off as if you were the demon and not I."

Hoseok's eye twitched as he just barely restricted himself from reaching out and clasping his hand over your throat.  Daring you to speak more nonsense towards him about how to act in front of humans.  The audacity you had to even think that one would look at him, a human man, and consider him as frightening as a monster. You directed your attention back to the front as you watched Taehyung speak to some random shop keeper as a child tugged on his hand.

"Like it or not, Taehyung is one of the few things you and I have in common."

"Do not compare me to yourself. Not unless you want me to ruin your kosode."

"You would never be able to strike me." Hoseok looked at you as he sucked in a harsh, chilled breath of offense.  "We've proved that before, haven't we?"

"Have you forgotten that both of those cases ended with me pinning you and you hardly able to move?  I could have killed you given the chance."

You offered him nothing after that.  True, both cases set you both on equal ground.  The first time you fought was when you had trapped him and the other leaders in a spiral of fire.  You charging him and the fight brought to a halt when Hoseok pinned you and Fuuta called it off.  The second when you sprung into his room and he had his sword blade hovering in front of your eyes as he pushed on your throat. 

You flicked your chin up in a small, slow fashion as you looked up towards the sky.  The weather had begun to cloud as the sun started to become hidden.  Something about the clouds made your eyes narrow and your lips twist into a frown far deeper than the one you had given to the hunter at your side.  Hoseok had moved to look up as well- it looked like the sky to him. Just the normal, cloudy to the full overcast winter sky. Bland and grey.

You lowered your head down again as you closed up your parasol, the sun hidden from any uncomforting rays.  You called out to Taehyung when your parasol snapped shut in its flimsy wooden design.

Taehyung had been with you the better part of a year now, and the tone in which you called him alerted him to come to you immediately. Quickly apologizing to the child tugging on his arm and dismissing them to go on and play elsewhere, as well as leaving his conversation with the shopkeeper, he was at your side quickly.  Standing with you and Hoseok in the streets as you looked at him with something behind your eyes Hoseok couldn't identify.

"What is it? What do you hear?" Taehyung asked you as if he knew exactly why your tone had shifted.  You were a demon and as such your senses were heightened to a level far higher than humans.  Sure, some humans can have exceptional senses of smell or hearing or sight, but it would only occasionally be one sense.  As opposed to you, your sense of hearing and sight and smell was that of your wild counterpart- a fox.

"I can't tell, but it's loud and it's not just one something.  It's a lot of them and it's getting closer to the town center." Taehyung nodded before he looked around.  The streets were quiet for the middle of the day, not many people out as the cold weather were too off-putting for the selling season.  "I think we need to get back to-" You cut yourself off when you quickly covered your ears, wincing and dropping your parasol to the frozen ground.  Hoseok jumped as Taehyung quickly grabbed your shoulders.

"What is it?!"

"It's too loud!" The sound of metal clashing and scraping in your ears, vibrating into your skull and shaking your very foundation.  It sounded so close now and you could start hearing screaming along with all the noise.  You looked to tell Taehyung, but as he whipped his head around, you knew that he could hear those noises now too.  The sounds you heard were far closer than you expected as the two men besides you heard it all.

Hoseok had pulled his sword from his hip as Taehyung took out his own- a bit annoyed that he wasn't in his proper battle gear at the current moment. If he had been, he wouldn't just have his sword to rely on- but other weapons and techniques of defense on his side. However, his blade would have to do. 

Turning your head, your hair seemed to spike at the ends as you saw a ball of flame barreling down the city road.  People rushed into their homes or business place to escape the fire before they were then forced out of it as torches were thrown through windows, burning buildings from the inside out. 

"A mob of bandits," Taehyung seethed under his breath. 

"What do I do," you asked him, grabbed the back of his kimono.  "I can't kill humans!" You yelled over the volume increasing chaos.  Hoseok side-eyed you as you seemed torn between your options.  He hadn't witnessed you actually deny attacking humans, as you had sprung on him more than once without thought.  It was odd, and irritating to see you struggle with the decision now.

Though, now is when it really mattered the most. 

"You have authorization from Kim Taehyung, Leader Swordsman and successor of Lord Fuuta Tono. Defend the city and take down the bandits under any means necessary. Are my orders understood?"

You hesitated before you dropped his kimono fabric from your hands.  You moved to stand at his side and not behind him any longer.  Placing yourself between the bodies of Hoseok and Taehyung as you bore your fangs at the threat approaching in a wild flaming rage.

Hoseok watched as your eyes spread out wider and your irises expanded.  Your red cheek markings widened and became jagged along your cheeks and your hair stood on end like cat fur.  Your claws sharpened with your tense, locked fingers as your neck and lower jaw bulged with wide, feral veins.  You looked nothing like the human-demon you previously were before.  You were much more demonic and feral looking than before- truly the fox demon specimen.

You let out a hiss and growl as Taehyung slowly counted beneath his breath. He was a strategic man, and everything had a precise start because not even he and his calculations could see when something would end.  He shifted in position as he counted from five.  Each second down he moved and you and Hoseok followed.  When zero hit, the three of you split.

Taehyung took off down an off-street road to cut off any other proceeding bandits as he followed their echoing manic laughter and crackling torches.  Hoseok began to sprint down the main road, facing the enemy head-on as he began to take down horses they road on before going for them.  You had begun climbing.  Scaling buildings and throwing balls of blue flames down below like a fire-shooting catapult before you jumped from whatever height you were at and landing in the center of the mob.  Igniting the center of thieves in a violent explosion of blue fire before the real attack began.

Bandits fell one by one with ease at the hands of you three.  However, something snatched your attention when you picked up the scent of smoke from behind you in the distance.  Shoving a bandit off your arm, you whipped around and stiffened to see a plume of black smoke rising into the sky far beyond where the battle is taking place. The compound that temporarily had the barrier of protection down and left everyone inside vulnerable had been set ablaze by some unknown enemy. 

The bandits were just a decoy.

Plowing through the band of thieves, you lept over their spears and swords before running down the road back to the compound.

"Y/n! Get back here!" Taehyung shouted before he was forced to disarm the bandit he had been fighting and shoved the tip of the man's sickle into his own neck, kicking his bleeding body out of the way as he gargled and choked on blood that pooled in his mouth.  He hissed in annoyance as you just kept running further, ignoring him.  "Hoseok!" Taehyung yelled, watching as Hoseok had sliced the chest of a rather ignorant and clumsy bandit.  "We're regrouping at the compound."

Hoseok looked over his shoulder, shocked to see the smoke so far off.  How had someone snuck past them?! He grits his teeth.

"Get back to the compound! Now!" Taehyung growled as he pushed his way out of the mob before Hoseok was running after him, not willing to test the limits of Taehyung's rage.

"Taehyung! Wait!" Taehyung was far faster than Hoseok was, the hunter was pushing his limits trying to at least keep the samurai leader in his sights. Taehyung was nimble, taking out anything and anyone that even tried to get in his way. The closer they got to the compound, the fewer bandits they saw.  Hoseok felt a prick of something in his gut- his sense telling him that whatever was at the compound probably wasn't a bandit.

Taehyung ran through the compound entrance, Hoseok at his heels as he halted immediately at the front gardens. Wisteria leaves were blown from their branches and scattered on the grown and the fallen bodies that littered the once beautiful sight. The ground dyed red in blood and bodies crumpled and shredded in a frozen massacre.

Both men's eyes were blown wide, not expecting to witness such chaotic devastation.  Taehyung tightened his hold on his sword as he clenched his jaw and forced himself to pass by the bodies and enter into the compound. It was no better inside than out.  Bodies of servants and guards slouched against walls or split in two with a torso in one room and a set of legs in another.  Heads had been severed from bodies and arms torn and tangled with detached legs.  Hoseok covered the bottom half of his face with this haori sleeve of his free hand- the stench of the place gag-inducing.

Both men rushed through halls and rooms and holes in doors to Fuuta's quarters when they got closer' the harsh winter breeze could be felt in the halls.  The door had been blown clean out of its groves- in fact, the entire wall was blown wide open.  It was a miracle the wall didn't crumble into rubble with the lack of foundation and support.

Rounding the corner, Taehyung skid with his heel, Hoseok not far behind.  "Lord Fuuta!" He shouted, his voice catching and body stopping when he entered through the demolished wall.  Hoseok was soon skidding to a stop beside his frozen friend and comrade in arms before he too froze.  His body stiffened at the sight of the once spotless, organized room. 

The back wall had been demolished, showing the spring-zapped winter yard. Fuuta's once decorated desk was cleanly ripped from the wall and broke into two splintered halves.  The far-right wall had been slashed and the closet door buckled in its groves, some clothes inside hanging loosely in place.  The left wall had rock shaped holes and dents punctured into it.

However, it was what lay outside the busted out back wall and beyond it that made the two men fill with dread.  Blood began to pool in puddles on tatami before it began to smear into dragged textures out into the yard.  Following that blood, it was easy to find what produced it all. 

Out laying in the cold was Fuuta and Shiro, still and cold as blood still leaked from their once warm bodies.  Fuuta was on his back, staring at the sky with dead eyes as blood dripped from his lips and eyes, his throat torn open and kimono stained.  Shiro was lying chest to chest on top of Fuuta- most likely to try and protect him.  Her back was slashed open with gashes far greater than any weapon could cause.  The blood seeping slowly into her kosode inch by bloody inch.

In front of their bodies, stood you.  Motionless as you stared down at them.  Hands at your sides as your arms were hanging motionless, your sleeves swishing in the breeze.  Your hair had come undone as it blew in whisps.  Your back was turned to the men in a semi-diagonal stance as you could smell nothing but the blood of your first family- your first parents.

Taehyung was the first to move.  He narrowed his wide-legged stance and sheathed his sword slowly, letting the tip of the hilt click into place in its scabbard.  Taking small steps through the room and back to outside, he stood beside you. He glanced at your face, seeing nothing there. 

Your eyes looked down at Fuuta and Shiro's bodies, unmoving and dazed.  They were glossed over in a film-like emotion. Taehyung stepped back a single stride, looking back towards Hoseok.

"Come," he told him in a soft, yet stern command.  Hoseok only nodded slowly as he sheathed his sword and took in the deathly quiet estate.  Coming to stand at your opposite side, Taehyung walked closer to the bodies.  He lifted Shiro up and off her beloved husband's chest and lay her on her back to face the same sky Fuuta did.  He placed her hand in Fuuta's and then gently closed both of their eyes. 

Standing back up, he pulled his scabbard from his waist and knelt to the ground before both his feet were folded under his rear.  Laying his sword horizontally in front of him, he placed his fingertips on the cold ground and bowed.  His forehead touching the dirt Fuuta and Shiro- his Lord and Priestess use- to gleefully grace; he closed his eyes in prayer.

Hoseok moved to mirror his senior's actions.  Bowing and lowering his head to his once-proud leader.

Taehyung raised his head looking back at the face of Fuuta.  "Thank you for all you've taught me," he spoke before he stood. He grabbed his sword, slinging it back onto his waist before he looked at Hoseok raising off the ground.  "Go and check on the city. The bandits were just a diversion- with their goal accomplished, I've little doubt they've already fled."

"Understood," the low voice of Hoseok spoke. He snuck a glance at you before his eyes widened at your face.  He'd never seen a demon look so miserable- it's as if you could break into tears at any moment. He shook it off before his shoulder passed yours, leaving the bodies of his leaders behind and not looking back at you for a moment.

"We'll have a proper burial later, alright?" Taehyung placed a hand on top of your head, a heartbreaking smile on his lips. 

You simply nodded, one single crystal clear tear dripping from your bottom eyelashes.

The next week was... Chaotic to put the term into the simplest form. The burial Taehyung spoke of was something Hosoek couldn't picture him doing unless he witnessed it.  It was a big step for someone who personally remained hidden or small in trying times.  Instead, he watched as Taehyung had buried the bodies of the dead- including their fallen lord and his wife. 

After sending out separate calls for the leaders to reconverge at the main estate away from this town in the mountains, he ordered Hoseok and you to follow him until he said otherwise.  It was still unofficial, but as of the moment, Taehyung was the highest standing rank in the organization. Hoseok just continued to give up more of his time he could spend out fighting to follow after Taehyung.

You had been mute since the day Fuuta and Shiro died.  In fact, you had even regressed to your fox form.  Trailing along with Taehyung's ankles like a loyal pet.  You never spoke, and hardly even lifted your fox colored eyes past the human knee.  You never even bit or growled at the children who would yank on your tail, or try to ride you like a horse when you followed Taehyung into town. You would only occasionally leap to rest on his broad shoulders- a way of showing exhaustion or annoyance. 

You never even showed signs of refuting when Hoseok neared you.

Hoseok should be glad about your silence, as your voice and opinions were the polar opposite of his and grated on his nerves.  However, your silence seemed to irk him as well.  Your silent animal form frustrated him just as much as your human-like, loudmouthed persona.  It seemed there was no happy middle for him and his ideals towards you- a demon.

Taehyung burned that compound to the ground. 

The walls and the gardens burned.  The trees that began to lose their wisteria blooms carried flames on their branches instead of petals and the compound weakened as the fire spread.  Taehyung stood at the compound's perimeter, watching as the roof caved inward and the supports crushed one by one into a single level mass of debris and destruction.  The heat put out by the fire was significantly different from the winter chills as ash rose into the air, falling like faux snow.

Taehyung turned, his hair blowing in long, loosely tied threads in the hot and cold winds as he moved to mount his horse, you jumping up the arm he offered down to you as you lay in front of him, your paws digging into the saddle of his steed.  He turned to Hosoek who sat on his own faithful mare beside him.  He trotted, ready to take off.

"Let's go. We have to get to the main estate as quickly as possible.  We've no time to waste." 

"Of course," Hoseok agreed, pulling on the reins of his horse, and kicking back his heels.  "Lead the way," he said, holding back the urge to announce with it a sassy 'my lord'.  In truth, he didn't know what to address Taehyung as.  His name, like normal, or something that fits his new unofficial title waiting for him back at the main estate.  He was soon to be his overall leader, not just his comrade and friend.  He would need to address him with faithful, unwavering loyalty- honorifics included. 

It was a three day trip on horseback to get away from the town and into the busy city of the main estate. The townspeople of the small town that held the burial site of his fallen lord, were told by Taehyung that he wouldn't be returning and to let the compound at the far end of town rot away. 

He instructed the villagers to never step foot inside it's fallen perimeter and to treat it as a cursed place that one should never tread.  Never try and clean it up, never allow your child to play inside its crumbling walls, never be a curious adult and venture inside.  Just let it rot away with time.

They all trusted Taehyung and promised to follow his orders and warnings alike before they sent him off with heavy hearts; Hoseok following behind him.

When Taehyung and Hoseok caught sight of the city from over a cliffside they had been traveling down, they slowed their horses as they entered the city's north entrance.  Hoseok hadn't missed being in this city, still far too busy for his taste.  As he rode beside Taehyung, only a horse clop or so behind, he could even see your fox fur stand and tails flick in hyperawareness with all the ruckus around.

Finally arriving to the estate, Taehyung was greeted by Bunji who had sent word that he was already in the city.  He was sat on a large stone, legs crossed and hands in prayer that was looped with prayer beads.  He opened his eyes and halted whatever mantra he was currently mumbling to himself when he heard the clopping of hooves. He was quick to remove himself from his meditation and stand on his two feet as Taehyung slowed his horse to a halt, Hoseok mimicking his motion. 

"Master Taehyung! Welcome back!" He greeted in the same boisterous way Hoseok remembered and didn't miss.  Taehyung dismounted his steed as you leaped to his shoulder before leaping onto the ground.  Shaking out your fur and stretching. Taehyung worked with his horse's saddle, untying his small bag from its side as he then pets at the neck of his faithful horse. 

"Bunji," Taehyung started, earning the monk's undivided attention. "Have the other's arrived yet?"

"Yes, Sir.  However, it seems as though Tsutsui has gone into town from some shopping.  Shall I call him back?"

"Yes. I'm putting a meeting into order immediately.  We've no time."

"Yes, Sir!" Bunji was quick to take off, heading back to send word for the medical specialist to return.  Hoseok walked up to Taehyung as he watched the samurai release a sigh. 

"Hoseok, if you would, take the horses back to the stables.  I'm afraid I have much to prepare for."

"Of course," was Hoseok's only reply.  He could see the invisible weight pushing down on his friend's shoulders as he took the reins of his and Taehyung's horses before leading them towards the back. 

Hoseok had gently pulled the reins over and off the ears of the horses once they were by their individual stable before pulling out the mouthpiece.  He unbuckled the leather saddle and instead threw a cloth over their backs before persuading them inside and shutting their stable door.  They whined at him as they shoved at his shoulder with their nose, nipping at his clothes as he swatted them away playfully.  Feeding both of them a carrot or two, he left soon after. 

Entering the estate, it wasn't long before he ran into someone.  Kaori, walking around the halls in her daily kimono.  He remembered the female counterpart of Taehyung as one of the few leaders he'd be able to tolerate and maybe respect if put on the spot.  She held herself with enough dignity that Hoseok prided her in.

"I see Taehyung has brought you back with him once again," she softly spoke as she stopped to speak briefly with him on her way towards the meeting room. "He's called a meeting so suddenly it's a bit concerning. I do wonder what it is he's planning to tell us all." She looked at Hoseok.  "Perhaps you may enlighten me? Surely you know what is going to take place."  Hoseok bit the inside of his cheek as he straightened his shoulder and took a small, nearly unnoticeable breath.

"I believe it is in my best interest not to take Taehyung's job away from him.  He'll let you know in due time.  It is not my place to say."  He lowered his head. "Excuse me," he spoke before he was on his way in the opposite direction Kaori had been heading. In truth, he wasn't sure where he was walking.  Weaving in halls, probably walking in a circle.  He didn't know what to do at the moment.

Was he supposed to attend the meeting like Taehyung had him do before? Or was he supposed to just hang around and wait it all out until a new order was given to him?  Right now, his only order was to accompany Taehyung and serve as his guard and comrade until further notice.  He finally stopped to sit on the outside walkways of the garden.  He sat for a while just thinking. 

His lord was gone and so was his lady.  All those people in the compound were slaughtered, but it didn't look like it was done by just anybody. People had been split into two or had their heads crushed.  Hoseok cupped around his chin as his finger bent around his lips that dipped in a frown.  It was no human that broke into that compound.  Besides, Fuuta wouldn't have fallen at the hands of bandits.  It was unlikely that everyone would've died even in the event of a bandit rush. 

The smell of that compound was musty and bloody.  It was no human- that he knew.  But now the question lies on what demon did the deed.  Taehyung probably told the townspeople that a bunch of bandits with wild boars broke in and killed them, but Hoseok was no fool.  Taehyung was simply reassuring the people that there was nothing more to fear, as he and Hoseok and yourself had taken out the bandits. They were the simplest go-to excuse.

However, the look in Taehyung's eyes as he lied to the people, as well as the way they looked when he watched the compound burn and even when he found everyone dead, they moved like he was hiding something.  Hoseok was curious about so much but had zero answers to any questions he had. What was Taehyung hiding? What demon attacked the compound and how did they locate it so quickly when the concealing spell had just been removed a day prior? How did they know that Fuuta was at that specific location?

He sighed as he soon picked up on small taps from his left.  Lowering his hand from his chin, and resting his arm on his knee, he watched your fox body worked its way down the hall.  The small blue of your fire that never burned wrapping in small flames around your tails and paws.  You stepped towards him and stopped not far from his sitting form. 

"Did Taehyung send you?" He asked with a tone you were familiar with when confronting him.  Cold as the snow.  You merely dipped your head in confirmation.  "Don't tell me he's going to make me actually sit in on another meeting?" Your head fell and rose once more.  He sighed before he pushed himself up, straightening out his haori.  He looked down at you.  "Fine.  Lead me there. He's probably getting impatient."  You merely turned and started down the hall, him following you. 

This is the second time he's had you lead him.  He'll probably never forget the first time he followed you, as you pounced on his in his Inn room and lead him here to his estate. As he walked, he grew anxious. 

What could Taehyung possibly want him to attend this meeting for?  He was only to relay the message of Fuuta's passing and announce his succession.  It was nothing Hoseok hadn't seen or known already.  Perhaps he wanted him there for the reason that he was present during it all.  Perhaps he needed someone else to clarify and back him up in case someone tried to call it a bluff.

You sat in front of the meeting room doors, waiting on Hoseok to catch up with you.  He stood over your small, animal form before announcing himself and sliding the shoji open.  Just like before, the leaders were sat among a table. The only difference being that Taehyung stood at the head of the table while the others sat in their rightful place and Fuuta was absent.

Hoseok simply took the seat that belonged to Taehyung, earning a small click of the tongue from the monk across from him.  He gave an eye roll towards Bunji.

"Alright," Takaki's shrill voice cut into the silence once Hoseok had taken his seat and you had trotted to sit at Taehyung's ankles, "we've all gathered.  Now, what is it that you've called us here for, Taehyung?"

Taehyung's eyes traveled to each leader, making eye contact with everyone, even Hoseok as he saw that look in his eyes again. Taehyung tucked his hands together in his sleeves, as he had changed out of his armor and even let his hair down.  The kimono he wore was one Hoseok recognized in blues and yellows. 

"I have called to order a meeting of the remaining four leaders to announce a few important changes that will be happening immediately."

"Four? You speak as though you are not including one of us," Kaori spoke.  Everyone knew there were five leaders that worked under the lord.  Taehyung just closed his eyes and nodded once only to reopen them. 

"Yes, I will come to that.  Bare with me." He cleared his throat lightly as your tails flicked opposite of each other.  Taehyung looked down at you for a moment before lifting his head again.  "Just over a week ago, our Lord Fuuta and Lady Shiro, along with the entire headcount of the northern compound were killed."  A deathly silence filtered into the room, replacing the seriousness that was there before.  It vibed with small panic and somber sorrow.  "In light of the recent grim events, I will be stepping out from my position as a leader and taking my place as Fuuta's rightful successor.

"Lord Fuuta was killed?" Tsutsui asked.

"I had heard that town had undergone a bandit's raid, is that related?" Takaki asked, keeping his composure about him.

"That's impossible! Our Lord would not fall to the hands of a simple ruffian!" Bunji announced as he moved to stand in protest. Takaki was quick to shut him up by pulling on the back of his thick prayer beads, pushing them again his neck and lowering him back down to his rear.

Taehyung raised his finger to his lips, mirroring the same method Fuuta always used among them to keep peace within a meeting of his children.  Bunji quickly settled.  Taehyung lowered his finger as he replaced his hand back into his sleeves at his front. 

"Yes. The raid took place at the entrance of the town and happened when Hoseok, Y/n and I were already out.  We had taken care of most of the thieves ourselves, but they were simply a distraction.  By the time Y/n had noticed something wrong and retreated back to the compound with Hoseok and myself, the culprit had already done his deed of slaughter and fled. The damage done was not that of a human attack- the one who killed the people of the compound along with Lord Fuuta and Lady Shiro was absolutely demonic."

"Do the townspeople know of it?"

"No.  I told them that a second band of thugs and wild boars raided the compound.  I left them strict instructions not to go to the compounds remains either.  I burned the entire building to the ground myself after properly laying to rest the people who died there." Some leaders looked at Hoseok, knowing he was present as well, for confirmation. 

"It's true.  The compound was demolished and Fuuta was buried with Shiro, along with all the others."

"Do we have any leads on who the demon who killed Fuuta is?" Kaori asked.

"Yes, I do." At Taehyung's proclamation, Hoseok raised his eyes to him with shock.  He knew? "I've had many nights to sit and think about it all.  Fuuta did not raise or teach a fool, I am abler than many think.  Fuuta shared many secrets and wishes with me, and I with him.  Today, I shall share a wish and a secret of his to me in light of his passing." The attention on Taehyung was absolute, no one dared to look away, Hoseok especially. 

The seriousness in Taehyung and the way he stood, holding himself.  It was so surreal and clean cut.  It was like the Kim Taehyung, Hoseok knew and grew up with wasn't there anymore.  It was truly the heir to the throne Fuuta left behind.

"Among his many years of hunting and the founding of our organization, it is a well-known fact that we are not recognized as an official unit of power by the government.  However, it is unlikely that the military power of the capital would truly lash out as we have a direct connection to nobility through Fuuta as well as Kaori, the daughter of a wealthy conglomerate, sitting so high up in authority. With all that in mind, it should come as no surprise that certain demon's despised Fuuta for creating an entire army against their kind.  He created a force made specifically to eliminate and destroy demons."

Taehyung looked down at you who had still been sitting at his ankle.  He reached down and picked you up.

"This small fox is the same demon woman you all met one year ago that Fuuta and Shiro had taken in and raised." There was a small murmur of recollection.  "She has taken on this form for a reason, but she is still Y/n and is still a demon who has sided with us.  She remembers the scent of the demon that lingered in the compound that day and will be beneficial to us." He set you down onto the table, where you sat in front of him facing the others. 

"The demon who is most-likely the demon who killed Fuuta and all the others is named Zath. He is a terrible demon who has been around for longer than we have.  I won't share it all, but of the things Fuuta had told me about him and how he knew the demon, it's not farfetched to assume it was Zath who ended his life."

"And what should we do about it?  Should one of us hunt him down?" Tsutsui asked, knowing that no matter what, it wouldn't be him doing the tracking and killing- as it was not his forte.  He already saw enough work in his future by adding more reinforcement to his medical camps with the temporary lack of leadership chairs.

"Yes, however, it will not be one of the four leaders. I shall be assigning someone else to do this, as this will lead onto the one wish Fuuta passed to my shoulders." Taehyung reached into his kimono pulling out two objects.  One of which was a wooden play piece of the game of Shogi- the rook.  The other was a hair stick that once belonged to Fuuta.  "This Shogi rook is the one thing Fuuta gave to me when he announced me to the chair I sat in only a week ago.  As you all know, Fuuta had a tradition of giving someone something as a token of future success- you all possess such an object from him." 

It was true.  The prayer beads Bunji wore were his gift.  Takaki was given a set of leather sheaths for his sai.  Kaori was given her hair comb with a rose carved onto it.  Tsutsui was given an engraved, rare metal rod for luck in his medicine.  Taehyung was given the strongest piece of Shogi, the rook. Along with the five of them, Hoseok was given something as well, that glass flower.  Hoseok began to question something and he lightly jolted when Taehyung looked at him.

"You were given something as well, weren't you, Hoseok?" He spoke with a small smile.  Hoseok nodded as he pulled out from a small pouch his glass flower, wrapped in a cloth to keep it from breaking.  Small gasps were sounded around him from his leaders.  Even you were looking at the flower, still astonished he had it.  "It was Fuuta's hope that one-day Hoseok would take my place as the swordsman leader and I don't disagree with his opinion."

"Wait, Taehyung-" Hoseok tried to interrupt. 

"However, even though he is strong, Hoseok isn't strong enough to take my place yet." Even if it was a fact, it still shot through Hoseok's ego to hear it said aloud.  "In simple terms, he's got a long way to go before he could hope to replace me in full confidence, so I will be giving him a mission that will require him to build his strength.  Once it is completed and he returns to me, only then will he be able to pridefully sit where I did."

Taehyung looked at Hoseok and his unsure face.  Hoseok never strived for a seat at his table, in fact, he hardly ever thought about what would happen if he were offered one.  Now, here he is, sitting in a chair that previously belonged to Taehyung, his best friend, and might soon belong to him. 

"Hoseok's mission is not easy, and there are two conditions that will be included if you agree to take it." Taehyung smiled at his friend.  "That being said, it is up to you if you wish to embark on the task I will give to you or not.  If you do not wish to, you are welcome to decline and return to your lower-ranked status. I will not force it upon your shoulders, as I know Fuuta would not have either."

"I'd like to hear the mission first, if you don't mind," Hoseok apprehensively requested. 

"Of course. Your mission will be to track down and kill Zath. The endgame is to have him eliminated for many reasons; however, all you need to focus on is killing him for the name of our fallen lord.  In regards to that, it would be a requirement for you to take with you someone who could track him down, or alert you to when he would be present.  To that end, I would instruct Y/n to accompany you on your mission as your partner."

Your head shot up to look at Taehyung as your ears flicked at his words.  Hoseok's eyes widened as his jaw nearly dropped.  You moved to look at Hoseok as he looked back at the fox that was you.  He would have to work with you? If he took on this mission to succeed Taehyung's chair, he would have to work with you and be your partner to hunt down the demon that took Fuuta's life? He clenched his hand around his second, unused sword's scabbard.

"I do know of your past, Hoseok, as you know.  We've been friends for years, and I know the horrors you've seen and the trust you've lost.  I know the full depths of your hatred for demons, and that makes you an excellent demon hunter.  A fine swordsman with two blades, one that does not truly belong to you so you choose to never draw it in battle." Hoseok's jaw set at the hit to his past that Taehyung knew so well.  "You keep that second blade with you as a reminder as to why you fight. So, accepting Y/n- a demon fox- as your partner in this mission must be difficult for you to imagine."

Hoseok knew that hunting down that demon alone would be nearly impossible.  If Zath was as strong as Hoseok imagined with the ability to take down Fuuta and everyone else in so little time, Hoseok on his own would surely die.  And tracking him would be a nearly impossible task in itself, because how could he track a demon he didn't know a thing about? You, however, knew his scent, as Taehyung had explained earlier.  You would be the only lead someone could use in trying to track Zath down.

Taehyung looked away from Hoseok and around to his new subjects of which he used to stand beside as equals. 

"Now, I'd like to ask for your consent to properly take place as the leader of this organization.  I wish to ask for your blessings to take over where Fuuta left off if you all would let me." He untucked his sleeves from his front as he lowered his back and head to bow respectfully.  There was silence before Kaori spoke first. 

"I offer my blessing," she spoke with ease, raising her hand in approval.

"I wholly offer mine as well!" Bunji announced, raising his hand along with a set of blue beads of prayer used to plead well wishes from the heavens. 

"I see no better time than the present to allow the one practicing for this position to finally take it, even if the situation is grim.  I'll offer you my blessing," Tsutsui easily agreed. 

"You're a better fit than I, I'll support you as the new lord as well," Takaki finished. 

It was when Taehyung stood straight again that he knelt down and sat at the head of the table.  He placed his Shogi piece of the table and prayed to it, thanking Fuuta for guiding his path through this one piece of a strategy game.  He then raised the hair stick and looked at Kaori. 

"Would you mind? You're far better with hair than I am," he chuckled as Kaori rose from her seat and moved to stand behind Taehyung.  She pulled his long hair from his loose locks and began to pull it back.  Brushing it out the best she could, she was soon taking the length of it and folding it onto the back of his head. 

"The hair stick if you would," she asked as she reached around his head as he offered it to her.  She placed it between the folds of neatly tied up hair and pinned it in place.  Stepping away from him, she took back to her seat. Your tails swished as you looked at him.  He picked his Shogi piece back up before he offered it out to you.

"Y/n, take this.  As a gift from Fuuta to me, and me to you."  You slowly reached out and lightly took the piece between your teeth, taking it from him and carefully placing it in front of you by your blue flamed paws.  "I think the rook suits you perfectly," he chided with a pet to your head. He looked up again.  "As of the moment, all has its place.  You all are more than welcome to leave as you wish.  Take your time to grief as well, performance can be hindered by sorrow- do not neglect yourself from your emotions."

Taehyung began to stand again as the other four leaders exchanged looks.  They quickly got up and out of their chairs, Taehyung shocked at their quickness.  His eyes widened when they all gathered at the back of the room in a line, from right to left lining up in order from ranking.  Takaki, Kaori, Bunji and Tsutsui, all standing and facing Taehyung before taking to their knees, pledging allegiance to their lord. 

Hoseok watched them from his chair before he closed his eyes and made a decision for himself.  He stood from his seat as he looked at Taehyung before walking to the far right of the line of leaders.  He soon knelt beside them.

"I'll accept your mission and will work alongside Y/n to hunt down the demon Zath and return back to you and take my place as your fifth leader. I agree to work hard and prove myself as the next swordsman leader you and our late Lord Fuuta both can be proud of." Hoseok declared as he lowered his head.  You had turned to face him on the tabletop, taking the Shogi piece into your jaw again and lowering your head, almost agreeing with Hoseok.

Takaki raised his head.  "As the head ranking leader, I speak on behalf of all present leaders of now and the future.  We shall serve you as loyal and faithful servants until the time of our death.  You have our vow as the new Lord.  May you depend on and accept us as your new children, Lord Taehyung."

Taehyung smiled as he composed himself, feeling the stinging sensation of tears in his wide eyes. 

"I will disclose any further information regarding the Zath mission to Y/n and Hoseok at a later time, for now, you both shall remain here and rest. As for the rest, I look forward to working and leading each and every one of you. Please, be safe on your journeys."

"Yes, of course.  We wish you the best as well."

The sun fell below the horizon that day with a new lord, a new leader, an empty seat with a future promise to be filled and the unsuspecting alliance of Y/n and Hoseok.  However, it's the future of the alliance between the two of you that Taehyung worried for, as he would soon be sending you both out on your own together without him to mediate. 

The entire idea- though the only way he could resolve the Zath issue at hand- gave him a terrible headache.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.5K 2.4K 58
♥️✨ COMPLETE ✨♥️ Maulika chatterjee a middle class Bengali girl hates BTS and live in realities of life but gradually she starts to develop feelings...
18.1K 1.3K 42
****** " I am used to the idea of loving you. So no matter how much it hurts me, I can't stop loving you. " - Vhope **** Taehyung Someday it will st...
16.5K 1.3K 28
a kind and sweet angel, who's name is Jung hoseok crossed the path with another sweet and innocent looking boy, Kim taehyung...he was not only innoce...
4.8K 347 11
it seems not even the passage of half a decade can diminish the hold of Mr. Jung's charms on your heart. but the rumors that welcome you home speak o...