A Plus In Love

By ElleUnsworth

Lily and Giles are selected for a class experiment. It's senior year and the summer wasn't kind to Lily or Gi... More

Electric Feel
*TALK*
*Where Is Your Mind*
*Baptized By Fire*
*UNSOLICITED ALMOST D*** PIC*
*CO-SLEEPING*
*Farris Wheel*
*Better*
*LOVELY*
*PANIC SWITCH*
*HOUSE GHOSTS*
*FUSSING*
*ONE DARK SPOT*
*HOME WORK*
*THE SLEEPS*
AU
*PRELUDE*
*COUNTERPOINT*
*F***ED UP FOREPLAY*
* CATS OUT OF THE BAG*
*CHOICES*
*SHE GAVE YOU HER FLOWER*
*JUST A SLIGHT BUZZ*
*WHAT WAS IN THE CUP*
*UM...WHAT*
*UM WHAT..PT2*
*BREAK*
*PAIN IS MY FAVORITE COLOR*
*DOMESTIC PARTNERS*
Author Note
*JUST ANOTHER COURTROOM*
*EVERYBODY'S BACK*
*THERAPY*
*ROCK MEET HARD SPACE*
*Some Time Later*
*SEVEN HOURS THIRTY SIX MINUTES*
*GOOBYE*FAREWELL*AMEN*
It's FINALLY done!
Question

*In Sickness and Health*

1.3K 55 3
By ElleUnsworth

**LILY**

    Giles was waiting when I went out to go to school. He had his car parked behind mine. I didn’t really know what to say to him, so I just got in his car and shut the door. He turned the engine over and we started on our way. He didn’t start a conversation, so we were silent till we got the school parking lot. I didn’t really feel like doing anything honestly, but the thought of staying at home was less appealing then school.

“We can skip if you want.”

“It’s the third day of school, it’s a little early to be skipping, even if we are seniors.”I got out of the car feeling like a mess but Giles pulled me close to him. He was warm and I did feel better when he held me. Somewhere in the back of my mind a small voice reminded me that this isn't real. But most of me was too torn down to care. I needed it.

“I’ll be with you most of the day.” He meant it to be a comfort and it was. We walked into school with less attention, but still much more than I was fond off. I pretty much stay locked into my hazy brain and his side until Life class. We had to make  wedding plans and speak about them to the class.  He put us in the far corner. “What kind of wedding do you want?”

“I want a simple ceremony, a bomb ass reception with all kinds of crazy stuff and a long honeymoon in an exotic location. My mom said she can’t remember a thing from her wedding because she was so nervous but after was were all the memories of  their beginning of their life.  This plan was set many years ago.

“Ok, I kinda agree. I think it should be just us, it’s  our marriage, I don’t want to get married at a courthouse or anything. Somewhere outdoors in the woods, maybe. Just us and person marrying us.  Then start the honeymoon right away, and it should be long. Then have a huge reception when we get back.”  Hmmmm, that was impressive. He had thought about this.

“Ok Compromise?” He nodded ready to hear me.  “We can get married in the forest just us. But have a nice dinner with our parents before leaving for the honeymoon. My mom would hunt me down and end me if she wasn’t part of my wedding day somehow.”  

“Sounds great actually.”  We answered the questions on our daily worksheet and he handed it in to Ms. Plunkett. She spoke to him for a moment and he came back to our corner. “After everyone turns in their sheets we are going to go up and talk about how we  got our plans together.” I nodded. It would be easy.

“Ok.” We sat silent for about fifteen minutes. I had my head rested on his arm and he was playing with my hair.  I had spent most of the day just trying not to think, but now I had to focus. I imagined the actual wedding. Us standing in the woods at sunset, an archway made of branches.  Soft lights and ivy wrapped around it and I married Giles.

“Alright class I’m going to have Lily and Giles come up and speak.”  We stood at the front of the class and he smiled at me. “They didn’t really have to much trouble but they did compromise. Tell us.”  Giles spoke first.

“I wanted to spend most of the time and money on the honeymoon, and have a quick ceremony in the woods, just us. It doesn't make sense to me to spend all this money one wedding ceremony or some unaffordable reception when we could get an amazing experience out of it instead.” He motioned for me to go and put his hand on the small of my back.

“I wanted something similar. I wanted a simple ceremony, a big reception and a long honeymoon. We both gave our reasons for the choice. I guess I still wanted to be a little bit traditional but ultimately his point that this was really just for us made more sense.”

“She brought up having a nice dinner with our parents before leaving for the honeymoon. Which I admit, having your parents involved on the day is important. So we decided to have a private ceremony, dinner with parents then have along honeymoon somewhere far away with a beach.”

I thought it was odd that there was clapping but we sat down and Ms. Plunkett stood up again. I figured we were going to move on from this and do more worksheets or have a “conversation” about the things that normally deal with weddings.  But Jackson and Melanie stood up and went to the front of the class. “Now there is an example of the more likely situation.”  Melanie stepped up.

“Of course I want a big wedding, It’s my day. I want a designer gown, a tiara, real flowers, a twelve layer cake and sit down meal at the reception. It’s my wedding day.” She sounded like a child.  Jackson rolled his eyes.

“It’s not your day, it’s our day. I know the bride gets all the fuss but us guys are getting married too. I’d rather have a house than a stupid wedding. She wants to spend two hundred thousand on a wedding, not including a honeymoon. We can buy a house for that much. Priorities, Melaine.” She rolled her eyes at him and he flipped her off where  only a few people could see.  Ms. Plunkett ushered them on their way back to their seats and started talking again.

Like most of the day, I zoned out. Giles brought me back when it was time to go and he dropped me off at Choir. I could do that stuff in my sleep in any but what I didn’t realize was that I was already home before I was about myself again. I blinked a few times and look over at Giles.

“Hey thanks for being cool about it. Sorry I…” I didn’t know what to say

    “It’s Ok. You wanna come watch a movie, relax?”  I just followed him threw my back yard and over a couple of streets. We just  walked right in and up the stairs. I didn’t even realize I was in his room until I was already on his bed, next to him.  The familiar opening scene of Deadpool, started on the big screen on this dresser across the room. He was so close I could feel his warmth radiating off of  him.  “You want something to drink? I’m going to go get some snacks?”

    I just nodded and he went down stairs and came back with a tray of snacks and two glasses of soda. I took the glass of soda to try and get aware. I felt like I hadn’t slept in weeks. Deadpool was one of my favorite movies and it made me feel better. Your friend neighbourhood pool guy.

    “I enjoyed your pie. Peach is my favorite.” I had to think for a moment.  I had made him a pie. I looked over him. He was completely relaxed. It was like we did this all the time. I was in la la land. I was laying in bed with Giles St. Claire like it was old hat, what the fuck?  “ You ok sugar lips?”  I busted out laughing.

    “Thank you, Hubs. I needed that.” There was a noise down stairs and he left the room telling me to wait. I took a brownie and giggled at Wade and Vanessa’s banter. Oh I could only dream of a relationship like that. Then I hear a little squeal and Giles had his baby sister in his arms. She was so precious. He sat back down next to me, but she climbed over him to me.

    “Hey!” She laughed in his face.

    “Kids love me.”  I held her in my lap and she twirled her fingers in my hair, rubbing it against her checks with a big yawn. “Oh sleepy baby.” She snuggled into my chest and my heart melted.

“She usually naps with me in the afternoon, but obviously.”

“It’s not your fault, I just have a much more comfortable place to rest.”  Just as he said, it wasn’t just a few more minutes longer and she was out. He went to take her but I protested. “No, it’s been awhile since I got to hold a sleeping baby. Just for a little while, please?”  I gave him the sad eyes and boo boo lip.

“Ok, do you want more to drink?”  I nodded and he left. I’m not sure how long he was gone, but I woke up with him sneaking her out of my arms. I tried to look grumpy but he just stuck his tongue out and took her anyway. He sway gently side to side out the door and down the hall. So adorable.

“I let you get about half an hour in.  My dad is going to be home soon and I’d rather you not meet him just yet. He is a real piece of work. I’ll walk you home.” I followed him down stairs and back to my house, but instead of leaving me at the door he just came right in.

“Hello Giles, Nice to see you again.” My mother was in the living painting rocks. It was her stress reliever.  We had a backyard littered with them. “You staying for dinner again? I”m making sloppy joes with mac and cheese!”

“That sounds great!” He followed me up to my room, just as I had him a few hours before. I kicked off my shoes, grabbed my comfortable clothes and changed in the bathroom. When I came out he was on my bed. I had a king size bed, after my parents decided a california king was better fit for them. If I didn’t he wouldn’t have fit. He almost stretched across the entire thing.  “Can I ask you something without you getting ...lost again?”

He has seen the worst it could be, so I didn’t think anything he could ask could make it unbearable. I sat next to his feet and put on off my few remaining stuffed animals in my lap before I gave him the go ahead.

“He mentioned something about ‘getting another one with your virginal story’. What does that mean?” Oh, well that not that bad at all.

“He said it  to be an ass but it not that complicated. My grandmother got pregnant in high school, my aunt, my mother. So  I decided that there was no way in hell I was going to carry on that tradition and the best way to do that is not have sex. How that is supposed to ‘catch em’ I have no idea. So yeah it’s pretty simple.”  He sat up and looked at me, really looked at me.

“So your a virgin?”

“Surprised?  You shouldn’t be, you know all the guys in school, they ever talk about getting with the fat chicks? No. They all talk about banging Melanie and her group and that’s fine by me. Makes it easy to keep it on lock.”  All the sudden this conversation was making me nervous. I didn’t want to talk about how desirable I was with the one guy in school I did desire.

“So have you ever do anything?” He looked at me like I was an Alien. I threw the stuffed Can of Dr. Pepper at him but he caught it with ease, of course. “I’m being serious.”

“Are you a virgin?” Very childish, but I was feeling the pressure and I didn’t like it.

“No.” His statement was simple. Of course he wasn’t . “I’ve done more than I’m proud to admit.” He looked away. I wanted to reach up and hold his face, but it didn’t feel like I could.  I didn’t know what we were really doing here. Was this just an assignment or where we really becoming friends?

“Hey, I’ve done things. Very close to it things.” Why was I telling him this. I got up off the  bed. I need to be away from him and maybe change the conversation.  I took a breath and he was behind me. “Hey, we should take some more pictures for a viewable scrapbook.”  I took a step back and pressed into him as he held up his phone. We both smiled and took a few pictures.  My mom was more than willing to help with ideas and by dinner time we had posted about ten really cheesy couple poses.  He ate about 6 sloppy joes and three helpings of mac and cheese before downing his second glass of tea and sighing with contentment.

“Thank You Mrs Beaumont. It was delicious. I’ll do the dishes.”  And he did. He rinsed off the dishes and I loaded the dishwasher. At last we were at the door for goodnight. After one last photo he grasped my arm. “I’m glad we decided to do this, it’s a lot of fun being with you.”

“Aw, hubs your so sweet. See you in the morning.”  I went upstairs, took a shower and went to bed. I jarred awake at one twenty six am with a migraine bursting out of my right eye.  I pulled out my migraine prescription and gulped down the water beside on my bedside table. I tore off my pajamas and blasted the shower as hot as I could stand it.

I stepped in and pressed my head against the wall to alleviate the pressure while the water relaxed my muscles.  I ran the hot water tank out of it contents. I put a robe on and went into the kitchen to get my cold gel pack. I put it in the freezer so it’s extra cold and still plyable. I wrapped it around my head and pulled it as tight as I could. I sat in the recliner, balled myself up and went back to sleep when the pill kicked in.

I felt a feather light touch on my shin and opened my eyes. I didn’t have my contacts in so everything was a little fuzzy and my mom, like always, had made the room as dark as possible once she found me.  I blinked a few times then jumped out of my damn skin when I realized that Giles was kneeling in front of me, and I was wearing just a robe.

“Giles! How did you get in my house!”  A sharp pain struck the back of my eye ball with each word.  I pressed a finger in the alcove between my eye and nose to give some relief. “I need you to leave, please. “ I moved  away from him and up the stairs. Each steps brough more and more pain, and nausea. I grabbed my phone and called my mom.

“Hey baby are you feeling better?”

“No, I think I need to get a shot. I took my prescription last night, it‘s not gone. Can you come get me? “ The phone slipped out of my hand.

“Hello Mrs. Beaumont, I  can take Lily to the Dr if I need to.” I went into the bathroom because my room was filled with stabbing light. “Lily, your mom is going to call the Dr, I’m going to take you. Are you ok? What’s wrong?”

“I have migraines, It’s a bad one.  I haven’t had on it a long time.” I pulled my robe tight and squinted. I went into my closet and pulled on a big tee and  baggy pajama pants. I pulled a hoodie on and dug around until I found a pair of big sunglasses and hat.  

“What do I need to do?” I came out and the light assaulted me. I wanted to dig half of my brain out of my skull.  I blocked the sun from the window and  he lead me down the hallway and we stopped at the door.  He popped an umbrella open and shielded me. All the way to my car. Once I was in a got my noise cancelling  headphones and the silence was golden.

I still buckled my seatbelt, but balled up as best I could. I tried to keep my stomach still, but as soon as I stepped out of the car, I dry heaved like I had been living my best life the night before. After it stopped, I couldn’t even apologize to  Giles. He checked me in, and in a few minutes we back in a room. The nurse turned the lights down, and I laid on the awkward exam table.

Giles hovered closely, I could feel his warmth at my back. His hand hovered over my shoulder. I was glad he didn’t touch me thought.  The pain in my head was overwhelming and I most likely would have cried if he had. My Dr came in soon after and after a few quick questions, the nurse was back with the cocktail in a syringe.

The pain was so bad I didn’t give a shit that Giles was there when she her give me a shot in my hip. We sat in dim silence for another twenty minutes until they let me go. I was already a bit loopy so I had to take his elbow to get to the car.  The  edge was off and I could relax a little bit. Giles stopped the car and I opened my eyes.

“Your mom said you would need something in your stomach and you like a chocolate shake.” I was in no mood to argue and took the shake with thanks. My stomach was settled by the time we got to my house. Once I was upstairs and in my room I finally looked up at Giles.

“Thank you so much for this. You should get to school. It’s the first week, it really is too early to be missing. They know about my migraines, but mom has already called for me.”  I feel down on my bed without another thought of another thing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.6K 697 21
A new chapter in life awaits Ella in small-town Jacksonville, but when this change comes with unexpected twists, a sexy firefighter and some dangerou...
447K 12.7K 89
"Naughty Rose, trying to get started without us, tell us what you want baby," I cooed at her. "I want all of you right now. I want to be rid of my vi...
268K 7.2K 36
Meet Sierra Rose, a twenty year old kind soul. After being kicked out of her mom's house, she moves in with her current boyfriend of six months, only...
359K 6.8K 40
Mollie's life took a tragic turn just before she was about to start college, but was this for the better? She doesn't know what to expect when she ha...