The Protector

By ShadeandShadows

Thrust into an unknown world that had only lived in myth, Tracy Evans finds herself mated to a werewolf, Prot... More

Author's Note (Please read)
Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 (Mature Content)
Chapter 4
Chapter 5 (Mature Content)
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 (Mature Content)
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 (Short Bonus)
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30 (Mature Content)
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 (Mature Content)
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 (Mature Content)
Chapter 37 (Mature Content)
Chapter 38 (Mature Content)
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Not a Chapter
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 (Mature Content)
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Just a note... please read.
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Before we continue... Help Wanted
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Author's Note (Ignore this)
Author's Note
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
THE END
Author's Note
Q & A
NEW BOOK!!!
EXCITING NEWS!!!

Chapter 53

2.3K 103 20
By ShadeandShadows

CHAPTER 53

10 days ago...

Eli was furious. In the beginning, he was just as angry at Tracy's foolishness as Jonathan but then he was ready to forgive and forget after the first day. Jonathan insisted that she needed to learn from this and he needed some time to cool off.

After watching his mate in tears from the cruel words of rejection Jonathan doled out he was angry. Jonathan thought about what he had said and realized how wrong it was. Instead of seeking Tracy out immediately, he sulked in shame and fear that she wouldn't forgive him. All that emotion was now turning into panic.

Jonathan looked everywhere and asked everyone in the packhouse if they've seen Tracy. No one had laid eyes on her since the day before yesterday right after their fight. He had tried to mind link Tracy but it was dead silent. Running to the garage he jumped in his truck and tore off down the drive with spinning tires throwing up mud and gravel.

Reaching Laura's house he received a hostile lecture followed by the worrisome news that both Jordan and Tracy were missing and that neither had checked in. Since they were using cash he couldn't trace their cards or their cell phones.

---------------

Tracy awoke to Jordan's thrashing on the floor while groaning. Using her hand to rub the soreness from her neck, she spoke softly so as not to startle him, "Jordan? Shh. Everything's fine...-ish."

"Tracy?" He asked squinting through the cloud of dust he had stirred up in the predawn darkness.

"Yup."

He groaned as he sat up, "Who else is in here?"

"This is Ms. Farlow-"

"Please just call me Jane."

^Jane^

"Alright then. This is Jane of the Dark Valley Coven."

"I thought I smelt vampire." Jordan grumbled rubbing his hands over his face before looking around, "Where are we?"

"A storage shed on coven land. They were attacked yesterday. Jane was trying to get away when we crashed into her."

"So you were responsible for nearly killing us?"

"To be fair," Jane said seriously, "being hit by a vehicle traveling 63 miles per hour on a highway was not a delightfully pleasant experience either."

"I guess not." Jordan said as he tried to stand in the cramped confines of the shed. But the ceiling was only 6 feet so he had to stay bent, opening the door he looked around cautiously.

"We need to be careful." Jane said, "We're still on coven land and patrols will likely be set up. It's best that you leave as soon as possible."

Jordan shut the door and sat down on the hard floor that had his bed, "How far to the nearest town?" he asked.

"Twenty-two miles. Eighteen miles before we are off coven land." Jane said, "You have to get help. Our nearest allies are in New Mexico."

"Is there anyone left?" Jordan asked.

"Lady Cloud. She is the only connection I still feel," Jane said sadly. "Which is why I plan to rescue her now."

"We'll help you."

"WHAT?!" Jordan growled, "There's no way-"

"We have to." Tracy said again, "If we wait then she'll be dead before we can come back with a rescue party."

"It's too dangerous. We don't even know where they're holding her."

"She was being taken to the holding cages at the top of the mountain."

"That was a death trap getting up," Tracy said remembering the tiny rickety car suspended by cables.

"There is a hidden staircase that very few know about." Jane said, "The biggest problem is not even getting in or out. It's opening the cages. The cages are magical and the locks can only be opened by the specific key it was designed for."

"Damn it so we need to find the keys." Tracy said frustrated by the information.

"Not necessarily," Jane said thoughtfully, "We could ask the witch that built them."

"Lucy?"

"Yes."

"I thought only Lady Anna knew where Lucy was." Tracy wondered.

"She is but the cages can be moved easily with a pair of special gloves, hidden in a safe at the top of the mountain."

"Well that's convenient," Jordan said.

"Yeah the author was getting kinda lazy at this point and was trying to avoid running into a bunch of unnecessary complications." Jane said, "Such as having to hunt down Prince Grim or break into the coven house full of zombified dead creatures to look for it and in the process almost get caught... of course. AND let's not forget the whole cliche splitting up and looking when it's obviously going to be in the study. Then the prince just has to come in and catch them while saying, 'Well, well, well...' like he's trying out for a Jack and Jill nursery play. She's NOT doing that. So magical gloves, take em or leave em."

"Oh okay. Well let's go then."

---------------

After an hour long debate, Tracy was able to convince Jordan to go to the town and find another car taking the book with him for safe keeping.

"Wait ...what about these Reaper things?" Jordan asked.

"They don't do well in light." Tracy said. "Sun's out so you'll be fine. Don't lose that journal!"

They decided it was best to bring the sword for defense in case they need to kill off the guards once they reach the top.

"When you said staircase, I was thinking of actually stairs not holes to scale a mountain." Tracy said carefully placing her foot in the shallow ledge cut into the rock, "We need both hands to climb this. How are we going to be able to carry an entire cage with a person inside of it?"

"There's rope at the top. We can rappel down." Jane said pausing to adjust the leather sheath on her back, "If you can hold onto the sword for me, I can take the cage."

"I can." Tracy brows scrunched, "I know you wanted to honor Lady Cloud's request to keep the sword safe however I'm going to have to fight off the guards in order for you to unlock the safe and set up the rope to rappel down. I'm the one who's going to need the sword."

"The sword can severely drain your energy. I've built up a tolerance to it. Lady Anna entrusted its care to me in case anything happened to her. It took me almost four years to hold it long enough to polish without falling into a deep sleep. Everyday, Lady Anna and I are exposed to its power to build tolerance." Jane explained.

"Oh. So wait. I could have fallen asleep while fighting?"

"If you were an average supernatural without magical properties then yes. But as the Protector, you have raw unused magic that counters the effects of the sword. You are one of the few that can wield it. Fortunately you possess the knowledge of how to fight with a sword."

"All that practice with Gideon and Carla paid off."

"Carla? Who is she?"

"My best friend... damn it! I forgot to call her. Ooo she's going to be pissed."

"Well if she's truly your best friend, I'm sure she'll understand. Hopefully before she murders you." Jane said.

"You say that so seriously and smooth that I have no idea if you're being sarcastic."

"Tell me about her." Jane said.

Tracy described meeting Carla and the struggles they went through together.

"I understand the bond." Jane said, "you're Spirit Sisters. A difficult connection to form but once made it's for life. Lady Anna is my Spirit Sister like yourself our joining was one of pain but there isn't anything I wouldn't do for her."

A distant rumble of thunder caught their attention.

"Great now it's going to rain." Tracy complained.

"Worse. Clouds will start to form and block the sun. We have to be off coven land before then. The Reapers do not function well in sunlight, if we get clouds..."

"Point taken. Let's go."

They climbed faster, finally reaching the top. The place looked deserted.

Rushing forward, Jane knelt on the icy ground, "Sister," she whispered tears filled her eyes.

Tracy took the sword and stood watch while Jane opened to safe and set the ropes. Lady Anna was badly beaten and unconscious. They had dumped some sort of green paste on her that must be slowly her healing. Her breathing was shallow but the important thing, she was still alive. All the other cages were empty. Puddles of blood lay pooled in snow, while frozen bits of flesh and bone from the other prisoners littered the area in a gruesome display.

Quickly and quietly, they hurried their descent as the clouds crept closer. Tracy prayed that Jordan would be able to meet them in time. Laboriously, they finally reached the bottom. The sun was suddenly darkened by the overhead clouds casting their shadows upon the earth. Moments later a loud roar of alarm sounded from the mountain top.

Looking back they saw a Reaper standing at the top glaring at them before screeching at its discovery of their escape.

"RUN!" Jane screamed in terror as hundreds of creatures began to race down the side of the mountain.

Using her Were strength and sprite speed, Tracy picked up Jane who still held the cage and ran to the meeting point. A large dark blue dual cab F-250 was turning around in the middle of the road. Jordan sat in the driver's seat. His eyes widened as he saw the approaching horde. Immediately throwing the stick into gear he took off as Tracy pitched Jane and the cage in the back before getting in herself. A Reaper jumped onto the truck bed, its claws swiping out before Tracy kicked it off. Two more came but were reduced to ash as Tracy whipped out the Ebony Sword. On and on, she fought as the horde pushed forward trying to overwhelm her. A sudden scream drew Tracy's attention. A Reaper had sliced Jane's stomach open.

Pain filled every pore, at that moment she whispered, "Save yourself and my sister." Her eyes widened with horror as she screamed, "BEHIND YOU!"

Tracy quickly swung the sword around slicing through two Reapers. Another sprang towards her but Jane jumped on it's back pushing it away from Tracy. The creatures grabbed Jane and swept her over the side. They stopped chasing the truck as the whole group congregated to rip the unfortunate vampire to shreds.

Tracy screamed in rage and anguish. Tears filled her eyes as the battered vehicle rounded the bend bringing them outside of coven land and away from the grisly scene. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

265 38 18
This is the sixth book in, "The Wars of Ivory White" series. The war has began and blood has been shed. Excerpt: Tracy drew a breath and held the w...
277K 13.5K 55
{MATURE +18} I am strong, I am resilient, I am fire... *******************************************************************************************...
125K 1.8K 9
I felt the bed dip as he sat down on the other side but I focused solely on my task until I was done. "This is a pillow barrier. Meaning, you don't b...
3.2M 23K 5
Excerpt only: I quickly run in their direction as my claws elongate into fierce points. I watch as a man in all black strikes down and kills one of...