Balance - The Mandalorian {on...

By FuzzyElf

There is just the Force. Angela Hailyn saw it both in many ways. The Dark and the Light. She saw order 66... More

Balance
Chapter One: Tatooine
Chapter Two: The Bounty Hunter
Chapter Three: The Mandalorian
Chapter Four: Fennec Shand
Chapter Five: The Child
Chapter Seven: The Ambush
Chapter Eight: Together
Chapter Nine: Nevarro
Chapter Ten: The Empire
Chapter Eleven: Moff Gideon
Chapter Twelve: The Armorer
Chapter Thirteen: The End?
Season 2
Chapter One: The Journey Begins
Chapter Two: Mos Pelgos
A Little Info

Chapter Six: The Heist

2.9K 81 7
By FuzzyElf

Outer Rim.

It's been a hours since she first stepped into the Razor Crest, she only left the cockpit once to make herself familiar with the ship. 

They stayed quite after their first conversation died down, by now he trusted her enough to hand her the child as she sat next to him. She handled it better than him, he thought, motherly cradling it in her arms. 

The child slept soundly, as she stroke two fingers carefully over its forehead, dreamily, she looked at it. He may be small, but the Force was strong with it, stronger than she's seen in a while. 

There weren't many trained Force user left, most were either dead or in hiding, much like herself, since the purge they became less and less. But even the smallest can bear great power, much like this one. 

What he needed was guidance through the Force, and Angela believes strongly that that's why she's here, to teach it him as much of the way of the Force as possible. 

The Mandalorian caught himself enjoying her company, it was calming, he hoped she was just a soul whose intentions were of good nature, and no threat he had to fear. 

"What are you planning on doing next?" Her words were spoken quietly, not to wake the child in her arms. 

"I'm taking a job. An old 'friend' of mine. He needs a man and we the money." He answered her in the same tone.

 A hand extending, she leaned down beside her, rummaging through her bag, her staff leaning slightly against it. 

Handing him a little bag, she sighs, "It's not much, probably nothing, but a start. You can keep it, if I stick around I at least can give you that much." She spoke earnestly as he opened the little bag in his lap. 

It truly wasn't much, a few hundred credits or so, it would cover nothing, but it was the gesture that counts. "Won't you need it? After this job I could let you down on whatever planet you like. After all you wanted to leave Tatooine. Right?" 

Shaking her head softly, she leaned back, watching him. "No. I actually would like to stick with you. Like I said, you could need help. And I will stay with the child on your ship as long as you're on this job. I won't hurt it. I couldn't, ever." Her voice grew quiet to the end. 

She was once a mother the Mandalorian reasons with himself, how could she ever hurt a child, it truly sounds impossible. 

He looked at her, she was strong, her every word the solemn truth, it literally screamed that she needed to be a good person, that he should trust her so much. 

Even the child seemed to enjoy her company, it never looked so at peace, like she took away all it's fears and struggles. 

"For now you can stay. After this,.. we'll see. But you're right stay in the ship after we talked to them, let them know you're with me. After that make sure he's hidden, don't talk to anyone and don't let them on the ship." 

Nodding, she closes her eyes, they still had a bit to fly, not having slept in a while, she had enough trust in him to do so, she felt no immediate danger from him. 

"We still got a bit of way ahead. Rest, it's okay."

*~*

Waking to the soft jolts of the Razor Crest, she heard soft snores and a hand grasping her tunic. 

Turning his head, Mando saw the woman wide awake. "We're there." His answer short, she clipped her staff to her back as she stood. 

She brought the child into a little makeshift compartment, the Mandalorian stuffed out for it.

 Pushing a button it closed and the two were on their way, striding next to the Mandalorian, they were stopped by an unknown voice, at least for Angela. "Mando. Is that you under that bucket?" 

"Ran." The man named Ran shook hands with Mando as Angela stood behind, studing the older man with whitening hair and full beard. 

"I didn't really know if I'd ever see you in these parts again. Good to see you." Parting hands, they took a few steps as Angela raised a brow, head leaning sideways. 

She had a bad feeling about him and she knows, if something feels of, it usually is. 

"You know, to be honest, I was a little surprised when you reached out to me. You know, 'cause I I hear things. Like, maybe things between you and the Guild aren't workin' out." 

Standing still mere meters before her, Angela decides to approach them, taking place beside the Mandalorian. 

"I'll be fine." As if he hasn't seen her before, Ran eyed Angela up and down, stopping at her eyes that bore into his with such intensity that he turned back to Mando. 

"Okay. Well, you know the policy. No questions. And you, you're welcome back here anytime. Though I need to know who she is." 

She smiles brightly, catching his gaze, she was a rare sight in many ways. "I'm Angela, a nobody. I'm a party to be trusted and that's the only explanation, you will need." Her words held strength, but she spoke with kindness, both men were startled by the fiery red head.

*~*

They made their way across some kind of bridge leading to another part of the station. "So, what's the job?" 

"Yeah, one of our associates ran afoul of some competitors and got himself caught. So, I'm puttin' together a crew to spring him. It's a five person job. I got four." They stopped, Angela was curious, what would await the Mandalorian. 

She just hoped Ran wouldn't think she would take part in this, she just makes herself aware of this place and the people in it. After their talks would be over, she would retreat for the Razor Crest, taking care of the child within.

 "All I need is the ride, and you brought it." Tensing, she squinted her eyes at the ship. That was new, to both of them and not really a good thing, now she needed to make sure nobody within the ship would become aware of the child. "The ship wasn't part of the deal." 

"Well, the Crest is the only reason I let you back in here. What's the look? Is that gratitude? Uh-huh. I think it is." Staring at the laughing man, her eyes bored into the back of his head. 

"That's not good, Mandalorian." She whispered to the man leaning on the railing. "No it's not." 

*~*

"Hey, Mayfeld." A bald man turned around, holsters strapped around each shoulder. "Yeah?"

"This is Mando, the guy I was tellin' you about. We used to do jobs way back when." Mayfeld didn't look too excited about the Mandalorian joining them. 

"This is the guy?" He catches glimpse of the red head, sending a wink her way. She wasn't fazed, instead she stared at him without blinking, signalling a bored 'No' with her head. 

"Yeah, we were all young, tryin' to make a name for ourselves. Yeah, but runnin' with a Mandalorian, that was... That brought us some reputation." 

Interested, she folded her arms over her chest. "Oh, yeah? What did he get out of it?" Ran laughed at Mayfeld. "I asked him that one time. You remember what you said, Mando?" 

The Mandalorian gave no answer Turning his helmet to ran. 

"Target practice." Ran kept laughing, as if it was the funniest joke ever told, receiving no reaction from the two to his right. 

 "Target practice. We did some crazy stuff, didn't we?" 

Rather uncomfortable, Mando tried to dismiss Rans words. "That was a long time ago." 

"Well... Well, I don't go out anymore. You understand? So, uh, Mayfeld, he's gonna run point on this job. If he says it, it's like it's comin' from me. You good with that?" 

Angela let her eyes wander across the men, them not telling what she thought. 

She understood why the Mandalorian was tense, this was off, whatever Ran told him to get him on board must've been a lie. 

Hopefully this wasn't a trap, though it was very obvious they had no good intentions. 

"You tell me." 

Ran couldn't hold his laughter down, as he was so amused by the armored man. "You haven't changed one bit." 

"Yeah, well, things have changed around here." Mayfeld watched Mando, trying to intimidate him, making himself look a fool. 

"Yeah, well, Mayfeld, he's He's one of the best triggermen I've ever seen. Former Imperial sharpshooter." 

Chuckling soundlessly, Angela draw attention upon herself as she calmly spoke up. "That's ain't telling much, now is it?" 

Mayfeld was angered, feeling insulted by her. "I wasn't a Stormtrooper, sweetheart."

 Shrugging, she gave him a look, no difference there, before he left. 

"Don't take long, does it?"

*~*

"Razor Crest? I can't believe that thing can fly, looks like a Canto Bight slot machine." Angela had no idea what he meant by that, she's never been to Canto Bight or had any interest in casinos. 

"All right. The good-lookin' fellow there with the horns, that's Burg." 

A big, red, horned Devaronian stood before them, a box falling out his hands with a big clank. "This may surprise you, but he's our muscle." 

Burg came Mando dangerously close, standing face to helmet with him, grunting in disapproval. "So, this is a Mandalorian. I thought they'd be bigger." 

A mocking laugh left Burgs lips as he stood between his partners, catching Angelas intense gaze. 

Walking menacingly to her, she didn't flinch, she's encountered worse, peering up at the tall man. "Who are you?" 

She didn't want him to make a scene, the faster they got over with this the better. "Angela" 

Once again Burg only grunts in response at her soft answer. She didn't falter under him, she wasn't scared. 

Not letting himself be stopped, Mayfeld kept going at introducing the others. "Droid's name is Zero." A Q9 Droid approached them as Burg left Angela be. 

"I thought you said you had four." 

Angela felt an unknown presence behind them as the Mandalorian spoke up, she spotted a violet Twi'lek women.

"He does. Hello, Mando." Mando turned. "Xi'an." 

Angela felt a tension between Mando and Xi'an. She raised a brow at the Twi'lek, twisting a dagger around her fingers. 

the red head was curious, her staff was still in place and one hand hovered over her blaster. She was cautious, everyone around her felt odd and the tension radiating of the Mandalorian didn't make it any better. 

Letting them on the ship sounded worse and worse with every passing moment. 

"Tell me why I shouldn't cut you down where you stand?" Within seconds, Angela unclipped her staff, blocking Xi'an from getting anywhere near Mandos throat with her dagger, metal on metal. 

Mando didn't even flinch, Xi'an eyed the woman blocking her, laughing at Mando. 

"Nice to see you, too." Xi'an sighs before she takes away her dagger, Angela doing the same, swinging her staff impressively around her hand, setting it back in place. 

"I missed you." The air between them all grew awkward at Xi'ans flirtatious behaviour. "This is shiny. You wear it well." 

Eyes on Xi'an, Angela takes a step back, arms now crossed before her chest. 

"Do we need to leave the room or something?" She scrunched her nose at Mayfelds question, these people were childish. 

"Well, Xi'an's been a little heartbroken since Mando left our group." Ran spoke up. 

Mayfeld took stand beside Angela, hands folded behind his back. "Aw. You gonna be okay, sweetheart?" 

"Oh, I'm all business now. Learned from the best." She pointed to Mando at her last statement. 

Angela didn't know these people, she had no idea as to what Mandos business once was with them, but even the Mandalorian himself gave away not being to happy how things are turning out at the moment. 

"All right, lovebirds. Break it up till you get on the ship. Right now we don't have much time." 

Staying back, Xi'an gave Mando a wink, Angela raised a brow as he waited for her judgement. Their moment was broken by the Devaronian standing before them, laughing. "Tiny."

*~*

Angela found herself in the cockpit of the Razor Crest, accommodated by the Droid checking the ship. in her life, she was on her fair share of ships, and years in hiding had given her the chance learning to pilot and repair them. 

She watches the Droid, she made herself as familiar as possible with the controls as the Mandalorian flew them. "Fuel. Navigation. Hyperdrive. Landing gear. Comms." 

The Mandalorian was still outside, he send Angela after the Droid, not trusting him. 

As he turns on the comms, a holo message was shown, very distorted. "Mando... I received... I received wonderful news." 

The image was flickering, she could make out a dark skinned human man. 

As the audio skipped, Angela watched with great interest what the man had to tell. "Upon your... Upon your... Deliver the quarry. Deliver the..." 

Deciding the Droid's already seen enough, she turned it off with a swift movement of her hand from afar. 

The Droid didn't realising what she just did. "Hmm."

Climbing down the ladder she made sure the child was still hidden, the Droid ignored her as he passed the woman, vanishing down the ramp.

*~*

Angela kept to herself, leaning on the compartment that held the child, her eyes and full attention on the strangers before her. They didn't dare to acknowledge her presence as her stares felt like daggers, seeing every little thing. 

Xi'an tried to balance one of her dagger at the tip of her finger, as Burg walked around in the belly of the ship, braking her concentration. "Will you sit down?" 

A sigh left Angelas lips as Burg punched against the ceiling, Xi'an snarled at him, but he laughed it of. 

Feeling them jump into hyperspace, she stood straight. Burg kept touching things, pushing buttons and opening a weapon storage. 

As if smelling the trouble, the Mandalorian jumped down to them, closing the storage with a button on his wrist. 

Burg did not like that, the Devaronian grabbed Mandos wrist. "Hey, hey, hey. Okay. Okay. Okay, I get it. I'm a little particular about my personal space, too. So, let's just do this job. We get in, we get out, and you don't have to see our faces anymore." 

Angela took a step toward Mando, her staff leaving its place on her back, now resting in her hand. She was still near the child, feeling it sleep peaceful. 

"Someone tell me why we even need a Mandalorian."

"Well, apparently they're the greatest warriors in the galaxy. So they say." They truly were, and great in number, but much like the Jedi there wasn't much left, but still more then most would see. 

"Then why are they all dead?" Their sick laughs echoed trough the ship, but died down at Angelas mumbling. "Not all, open your eyes to the world and you'll find them, eventually." 

Ignoring her Mayfeld spoke to Xi'an, Mando shedding her a glance. "Well, you flew with him, Xi'an. Is he as good as they say?" 

"Ask him about the job on Alzoc III." 

"I did what I had to." Angela fully walked up beside the Mandalorian as Xi'an chuckled pointing a dagger at him. "Oh, but you liked it. See, I know who you really are." 

The red head doubts that, the Mandalorian probably didn't even knew that himself, it felt like that for her, his emotions stored deep down. Though being understood is one of the most essential things in life, he had a hard time doing so. 

"He never takes off the helmet?" Xi'an chuckled mocking the man "This is the Way." 

Angela was familiar with the ways of the Mandalorians, they took their traditions serious, though this one was different from what she learned, not the way of Mandalore. 

She knew for sure that they did take off their helmets before others, but she also vague remembers a breakaway group, but wasn't entirely sure.

"Huh. I wonder what you look like under there." No doubt, Angela did too, but she wouldn't dare. 

"Maybe he's a Gungan. Is that why yousa don't wanna show your face? You ever seen his face?" They are truly fouls, Angela would be happy if this would ever end. 

"A lady never tells." Mayfeld asked the same again, this time directed at the red haired woman beside Mando. 

"I've known him for the most of two days, and only so long. I wouldn't dare, it's not my place nor my decision to make.... You know, you talk to much...." But Mayfeld ignored her threatening indication. 

But Mando, he turned slightly, she was still a mystery and maybe even dangerous.  

"Where did you found dear red over there, Mando?" The Mandalorian kept quiet, Angela on the other hand just casually answered 

"Tatooine." Pleasing Mayfeld enough to keep going with his previous dump questions. 

"Aw. Come on, Mando. We all gotta trust each other here. You gotta show us somethin'. Come on. Just lift the helmet up. Come on. Let's all see your eyes." 

They were playing a dangerous game, the Mandalorian won't take it off, still they keep pushing. Angela remain on the Mandalorians left, taking down her staff to lean on it. 

"I'll do it." Burg exclaimed and he tried. 

Trying to lay a hand on Mandos helmet to remove it, the other man pushed the Devaronian away. 

Angela slowly strides to the compartment, weapon defensive lifted, as the Devaronian got pushed into the weapon storage, accidentally pushing some buttons, giving away the child's whereabouts. 

She swung her staff before the child, keeping it from falling out, as it cooed softly at her. She gave it an apologetic look. 

"Whoa! What is that?" The Mandalorian shook his head at her, signaling to take her staff down. 

She was wary as Mayfeld came near, standing straight, face unreadable. "You get lonely up here, buddy? Huh? Wait a minute. Did you two make that? Huh?" 

Angela stood protective next to the child as Xi'an stepped closer to Mayfeld, his question directed at her. 

"Or is it yours?" He spoke to Angela, pointing a finger. 

She gave him a dark look in warning. "What is it, like a pet or somethin'?" 

 "Yeah. Something like that." 

"He belongs with me." Both Angela and Mando spoke up. 

Her attempt at drawing Mayfeld away was useless, she hoped he would leave it be if he thought it was hers, instead, Mayfeld got near the child, eyes fixed. 

Angela clenched her jaw, as she raised an arm.

"Me, I was never really into pets. Yeah, I didn't have the temperament. Patience, you know? I mean, I tried, but never worked out. But I'm thinkin' maybe I'll try again" 

Angela wanted so desperately to step in, but Mando shook his head and against her better judgement she let Mayfeld take it.  

She stood there, silent, ready to to take it from him, willing to fight him if needed. 

"with this little fella. Huh?" Predator like, Angela got to Mando, eyes never leaving Mayfeld as he played letting the child fall. 

She felt anger boil inside her, but controlled it, she would never let her anger control her, she learned that a long time ago, but seeing a helpless child in danger, her motherly instincts kicked in. 

Before she could take it from him they were thrown around the ship as the Droids voice sounded. "Dropping out of hyperspace now. Commencing final approach, now. Cloaking signal, now. Engaging coupling now." 

As the Droid spoke, the ship shook, Angela catching the child. 

Balancing them, she had a firm grip around it, leaning on a wall behind her and ramming her staff into the ground, a huff left her lips, that was rather unexpected. 

"Coupling confirmed. We are down. And relax. Commence extraction now." 

Helping the Mandalorian stand, she placed the child in its makeshift little compartment. 

Smiling reassuring at it, a sign to show him he's save. He cooed and gurgle at her, reaching a hand to her cheek. 

"Useless droid didn't even give us a proper countdown." 

Blending the strangers behind her out, she knelt bevor the little green child. 

His touch connecting them, building a bond. 

She felt it, the Force, surrounding them, inside them, and for a little moment she felt nothing else than peace.

............................................

Edited: 26/11/20

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

425K 14K 85
Since the rebellion Kit has lived by one rule and only one rule, no attachments. After losing her mother, father and then having her best friend go i...
22.9K 675 35
'a Jedi and a Mandalorian? they'll never see it coming...' #1 PedroPascal (08/11/23) #1 Mando (29/02/24)
13.8K 312 32
𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘤𝘳𝘶𝘮𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘺 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘴 𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩...
912 22 15
The Mandalorian gets more than he bargained for when he takes a risky job in exchange for information on a Jedi. Preferring to work alone, he is frus...