✓ | RECKLESS AND BRAVE | Drac...

By fhreyachaes

[ BOOK TWO OF MISCHIEF MANAGED | JAMES POTTER VS SIRIUS BLACK ] ❝ But," her voice trailed off brokenly, "I'm... More

DISCLAIMER + CAST
I | THE SORCERER'S STONE
1 | AURORA
2 | BUOYANT
3 | CHUTZPAH
4 | DEMURE
5 | ETHEREAL
6 | FELICITY
7 | GAUCHE
8 | HALO
9 | IDYLLIC
10 | JOCUND
11 | KAPUT
12 | LUMINESCENCE
13 | MONDEGREEN
II | THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
14 | NEFARIOUS
15 | OPULENCE
16 | PETRICHOR
17 | QUAINT
18 | RESPLENDENT
19 | SAUDADE
20 | TRANSCENDENCE
21 | UPPITY
III | THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
22 | VEHEMENT
23 | WANDERLUST
24 | XERIC
25 | YONDER
26 | ZEAL
27 | AMORIST
28 | BERCEUSE
29 | CHRYSALISM
30 | DUENDE
31 | EFFLEURAGE
32 | FANTOD
33 | GELASIN
IV | THE GOBLET OF FIRE
34 | HAMARTIA
35 | INTERSIDEREAL
36 | JEJUNE
37 | KOI NO YOKAN
38 | LATIBULE
39 | MINUTIAE
40 | NAZ
41 | ORPHIC
42 | PULCHRITUDINOUS
43 | QUERENCIA
44 | REDAMANCY
45 | SEHNSUCHT
46 | TEMERATE
V | THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
47 | UITWAAIEN
48 | VIRAGO
49 | WHELVE
50 | XAERN
51 | YŪGEN
52 | ZUGZWANG
53 | ANAM CARA
54 | BASOREXIA
55 | CHEILOPROCLITIC
56 | DEFENESTRATE
57 | ESPRIT D'ESCALIER
58 | FORELSKET
59 | GLAUCOUS
60 | HONNE
VI | THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE
61 | IBRAT
62 | JAYUS
63 | KAIROS
64 | LA DOULEUR EXQUISE
65 | MIZPAH
66 | NEDOVTIPA
67 | OCULOPLANIA
68 | PHOSPHENES
69 | QUATERVOIS
VII | THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
70 | RESFEBER
71 | STRIKHEDONIA
72 | TAUSENDSASSA
73 | UBUNTU
74 | VELLEITIE
75 | WABI-SABI
76 | XANTHORIATIC
77 | YERTDRIFT
79 | AEIPATHY
80 | BOKETTO
81 | COUP DE GRÂCE
82 | DRAPETOMANI
83 | ERLEBNISSE
84 | FINIFUGAL
B O N U S | 1
B O N U S | 2
B O N U S | 3
B O N U S | 4
B O N U S | 5
C A N O N
CONTEST WINNER
TESSA AND DRACO'S READING LIST
THEO'S SPIN-OFF BOOK
KASI'S SPIN-OFF BOOK

78 | ZEMBLANITY

12K 524 960
By fhreyachaes

ZEMBLANITY
(n.) the inevitable discovery of what we would rather not know; the opposite of serendipity

TESSA WAS JUST AS CLUELESS AS SEBASTIAN, RON, HARRY, AND HERMIONE. She blinked stupidly, unsure of what Xenophilius had just said. Very slowly, she raised her hand and asked, "What is a Hallow and why is it deathly?"

     Ron slowly brought down Tessa's hand as Harry repeated, "The Deathly Hallows?"

     "That's right," Xenophilius said. "You haven't heard of them? I'm not surprised. Very, very few wizards believe. Witness that knuckle-headed young man at your brother's wedding," he nodded at Ron, "who attacked me for sporting the symbol of a well-known Dark wizard! Such ignorance. There is nothing Dark about the Hallows — at least, not in that crude sense. One simply uses the symbol to reveal oneself to other believers, in the hope that they might help one with the Quest."

     "I'm sorry," Tessa said. "We still don't really understand."

     "Well, you see, believers seek the Deathly Hallows."

     "But what are the Deathly Hallows?" Hermione asked.

     Xenophilius set his teacup down. "I assume that you are all familiar with "The Tale of the Three Brothers'?"

     Harry and Sebastian were the only ones who said no as Tessa, Ron, and Hermione said yes.

    "Well, well, Mr. Potter, and Mr. . . ?"

"Elliott," Sebastian supplied. Now that Tessa thought of it — was Elliott even his real last name or did he just make one up when he came to Hogwarts? She made a mental note to ask him what his real Greek surname was later on.

"Mr. Potter and Mr. Elliott — the whole thing starts with 'The Tale of the Three Brothers' . . . I have a copy somewhere." Xenophilius glanced around the chaotic room amidst the mountains of books.

     Hermione said, "I've got a copy, Mr. Lovegood, I've got it right here." She pulled out The Tales of Beedle the Bard from her bag.

     "The original?"

     She nodded.

     "Well then, why don't you read it aloud? Much the best way to make sure we all understand."

     "Er . . . all right," Hermione said with a hint of uncertainty before she flipped open the pages and cleared her throat. "'There were once three brothers who were traveling along a lonely, winding road at twilight —' "

     "Midnight, our mum always told us," Ron intervened, arms behind his head comfortably as he listened.

     Hermione sent him an annoyed look as Tessa said, "Uncle Kasi always used twilight."

     "Sorry, I just think it's a bit spookier if it's midnight!"

     "Yeah, because we really need a bit more fear in our lives," Harry grumbled before nodding at the girl. "Go on, Hermione."

     " 'In time, the brothers reached a river too deep to wade through and too dangerous to swim across. However, these brothers were learned in the magical arts, and so they simply waved their wands and made a bridge appear across the treacherous water. They were halfway across it when they found their path blocked by a hooded figure.

     " 'And Death spoke to them —'"

     "Sorry," Harry cut in, "but Death spoke to them?"

     Sebastian sighed exasperatedly. "We're never going to finish the story."

     "It's a fairy tale, Harry," Tessa explained wearily.

     "Right, sorry." He nodded at Hermione. "Go on."

     " 'And Death spoke to them. He was angry that he had been cheated out of three new victims, for travelers usually drowned in the river. But Death was cunning. He pretended to congratulate the three brothers upon their magic, and said that each had earned a prize for having been clever enough to evade him.

     " 'So the oldest brother, who was a combative man, asked for a wand more powerful than any in existence: a wand that must always win duels for its owner, a wand worthy of a wizard who had conquered Death! So Death crossed to an elder tree on the banks of the river, fashioned a wand from a branch that hung there, and gave it to the oldest brother.

     "'Then the second brother, who was an arrogant man, decided that he wanted to humiliate Death still further, and asked for the power to recall others from Death. So Death picked up a stone from the riverbank and gave it to the second brother, and told him that the stone would have the power to bring back the dead.

     "'And then Death asked the third and youngest brother what he would like. The youngest brother was the humblest and also the wisest of the brothers, and he did not trust Death. So he asked for something that would enable him to go forth from that place without being followed by Death. And Death, most unwillingly, handed over his own Cloak of Invisibility.' "

     "Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" Harry interrupted again.

     Tessa took a glimpse at Sebastian who held up three fingers to her and he muttered, "I'm keeping track of how many bloody times she's interrupted."

     "So he can sneak up on people," Ron said. "Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking . . . sorry, Hermione."

     " 'Then Death stood aside and allowed the three brothers to continue on their way, and they did so, talking with wonder of the adventure they had had, and admiring Death's gifts.

     " 'In due course the brothers separated, each for his own destination.

     " 'The first brother traveled on for a week or more, and reaching a distant village, sought out a fellow wizard with whom he had a quarrel. Naturally, with the Elder Wand as his weapon, he could not fail to win the duel that followed. Leaving his enemy dead upon the floor, the oldest brother proceeded to an inn, where he boasted loudly of the powerful wand he had snatched from Death himself, and of how it made him invincible.

     " 'That very night, another wizard crept upon the oldest brother as he lay, wine-sodden, upon his bed. The thief took the wand and, for good measure, slit the oldest brother's throat.

     " 'And so Death took the first brother for his own.

     "'Meanwhile, the second brother journeyed to his own home, where he lived alone. Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand. To his amazement and his delight, the figure of the girl he had once hoped to marry, before her untimely death, appeared at once before him.

     " 'Yet she was sad and cold, separated from him as by a veil. Though she had returned to the mortal world, she did not truly belong there and suffered. Finally the second brother, driven mad with hopeless longing, killed himself so as truly to join her.

     " 'And so Death took the second brother for his own.

     " 'But though Death searched for the third brother for many years, he was never able to find him. It was only when he had attained a great age that the youngest brother finally took off the Cloak of Invisibility and gave it to his son. And then he greeted Death as an old friend, and went with him gladly, and, equals, they departed this life.' "

Hermione shut the book and they all turned to Xenophilius who took a moment to realize she was done reading. He looked away from the window and said, "Well, there you are."

"Sorry?" Tessa said.

"Those are the Deathly Hallows." He picked up a quill and slid out a piece of parchment wedged between two books. "The Elder Wand," he said, and he drew a straight vertical line. "The Resurrection Stone." He drew the circle. "The Cloak of Invisibility," he finished by sketching a triangle that closed around the line and the circle. "Together, the Deathly Hallows."

"But there's no mention of the words 'Deathly Hallows' in the story," Hermione reasoned.

"Well, of course not," he said smugly. "That is a children's tale, told to amuse rather than to instruct. Those of us who understand these matters, however, recognize that the ancient story refers to three objects, or Hallows, which, if united, will make the possessor master of Death."

He paused to gaze out the window at the setting sun.

"Luna ought to have enough Plimpies soon," he said.

"When you say 'master of Death' —" Ron began.

"Master," Xenophilius said with a dismissive wave of his hand. "Conqueror. Vanquisher. Whichever term you prefer."

"But then . . . do you mean . . ." Hermione started, "that you believe these objects — these Hallows — actually exist?"

Xenophilius raised his eyebrows. "Well, of course."

"But, Mr. Lovegood, how can you possibly believe — ?"

"Luna has told me all about you, young lady. You are, I gather, not unintelligent, but painfully limited. Narrow. Close-minded."

"Perhaps you ought to try on the hat, Hermione," Ron said, trying not to laugh.

"Mr. Lovegood," Hermione said again. "We all know that there are such things as Invisibility Cloaks. They are rare, but they exist. But —"

"Ah, but the Third Hallow is a true Cloak of Invisibility, Miss Granger! I mean to say, it is not a traveling cloak imbued with a Disillusionment Charm, or carrying a Bedazzling Hex, or else woven from Demiguise hair, which will hide one initially but fade with the years until it turns opaque. We are talking about a cloak that really and truly renders the wearer completely invisible, and endures eternally, giving constant and impenetrable concealment, no matter what spells are cast at it. How many cloaks have you ever seen like that, Miss Granger?"

Tessa coughed awkwardly and mumbled under her breath, "Well, I'll be damned."

"Exactly," Xenophilius said when none of them answered him. "None of you have ever seen such a thing. The possessor would be immeasurably rich, would he not?"

Tessa's lips twitched as she pinched her arm to keep her mouth shut.

"All right," Hermione finally said. "Say the Cloak existed . . . what about the stone, Mr. Lovegood? The thing you call the Resurrection Stone?"

"What of it?" Xenophilius said, gazing out the window again.

"Well, how can that be real?"

"Prove that it is not," he countered.

Hermione scowled murderously. "But that's — I'm sorry, but that's completely ridiculous! How can I possibly prove it doesn't exist? Do you expect me to get hold of — of all the pebbles in the world and test them? I mean, you could claim that anything's real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody's proved it doesn't exist!"

"Yes, you could. I am glad to see that you are opening your mind a little."

"But you can also choose to remain agnostic," Tessa piped up. "You don't have to necessarily believe something is or isn't real. Especially if you see no proofs on either side."

"So the Elder Wand," Harry jumped in before a debate started ensuing, "you think that exists too?"

"Oh, well, in that case there is endless evidence," Xenophilius said. "The Elder Wand is the Hallow that is most easily traced, because of the way in which it passes from hand to hand."

"Which is what?"

"Which is that the possessor of the wand must capture it from its previous owner, if he is to be truly master of it. Surely you have heard of the way the wand came to Egbert the Egregious, after his slaughter of Emeric the Evil? Of how Godelot died in his own cellar after his son, Hereward, took the wand from him? Of the dreadful Loxias, who took the wand from Barnabas Deverill, whom he had killed? The bloody trail of the Elder Wand is splattered across the pages of Wizarding history."

"So where do you think the Elder Wand is now?" Ron asked.

"Alas, who knows? Who knows where the Elder Wand lies hidden? The trail goes cold with Arcus and Livius. Who can say which of them really defeated Loxias, and which took the wand? And who can say who may have defeated them? History, alas, does not tell us."

     There was a pause that followed before Hermione asked stiffly, "Mr. Lovegood, does the Peverell family have anything to do with the Deathly Hallows?"

     Xenophilius looked as though he'd just been slapped as he sat straighter in his chair. "But you have been misleading me, young woman! I thought you were new to the Hallows Quest! Many of us Questers believe that the Peverells have everything — everything! — to do with the Hallows!"

     "Who are the Peverells?" Ron asked.

     "That was the name on the grave with the mark on it, in Godric's Hollow," Tessa said, remembering that night clearly. "Ignotus Peverell."

     "Exactly!" Xenophilius cried out. "The sign of the Deathly Hallows on Ignotus's grave is conclusive proof !"

     "Of what?" Ron cocked his head to the side.

     "Why, that the three brothers in the story were actually the three Peverell brothers, Antioch, Cadmus, and Ignotus! That they were the original owners of the Hallows!" He got to his feet and picked up the tray, striding toward the staircase. "You will stay for dinner?" he called, as he went downstairs. "Everybody always requests our recipe for Freshwater Plimpy soup."

     "Probably to show the Poisoning Department at St. Mungo's," Ron said under his breath as Sebastian cracked a grin.

     "What do you think?" Harry asked as they all turned to look at Hermione.

     "Oh, Harry — Tessa," she said wearily, "it's a pile of utter rubbish. This can't be what the sign really means. This must just be his weird take on it. What a waste of time."

     Sebastian shrugged a shoulder. "Told you he was strange."

     "I s'pose this is the man who brought us Crumple-Horned Snorkacks," Ron said.

     "You don't believe it either?" Harry asked him.

     Ron waved a hand dismissively. "Nah, that story's just one of those things you tell kids to teach them lessons, isn't it? 'Don't go looking for trouble, don't pick fights, don't go messing around with stuff that's best left alone! Just keep your head down, mind your own business, and you'll be okay'. Come to think of it, maybe that story's why elder wands are supposed to be unlucky."

     "What are you talking about?"

"One of those superstitions, isn't it? 'May-born witches will marry Muggles.' 'Jinx by twilight, undone by midnight.'"

Tessa excitedly snapped her fingers. "Oh, oh! 'Wand of elder, never prosper.'"

Ron nodded. "Yeah, exactly." He faced Harry. "You must've heard them. My mum's full of them."

     "Harry and I were raised by Muggles," Hermione reminded him. "We were taught different superstitions." She sighed before saying, "I think you're right," she told him. "It's just a morality tale, it's obvious which gift is best, which one you'd choose —"

     The five of them all spoke at the same time.

     "The Cloak," Hermione said.

     "The wand," was what Ron said.

     "The stone," Harry blurted out at once.

     "All of them," Tessa said without even pausing to think.

     Sebastian cocked his head to the side. "Why do you have to choose one?"

     They all looked at each other in amusement.

     "You're supposed to say the Cloak," Ron told Hermione, "but you wouldn't need to be invisible if you had the wand. An unbeatable wand, Hermione, come on!"

     "We've already got an Invisibility Cloak," Harry pointed out.

     "And it's helped us rather a lot, in case you hadn't noticed!" Hermione reasoned. "Whereas the wand would be bound to attract trouble —"

     "Only if you shouted about it," Ron argued. "Only if you were prat enough to go dancing around, waving it over your head, and singing, 'I've got an unbeatable wand, come and have a go if you think you're hard enough.' As long as you kept your trap shut —"

     "Yes, but could you keep your trap shut? You know, the only true thing he said to us was that there have been stories about extra-powerful wands for hundreds of years."

     "There have?" Harry asked.

     Hermione sighed so exasperatedly that Tessa had to cover her smile as Harry and Ron shared similar grins. Sebastian didn't understand why they were laughing, but he found it intriguing.

     "The Deathstick, the Wand of Destiny, they crop up under different names through the centuries, usually in the possession of some Dark wizard who's boasting about them. Professor Binns mentioned some of them, but — oh, it's all nonsense. Wands are only as powerful as the wizards who use them. Some wizards just like to boast that theirs are bigger and better than other people's."

     "It's stupid for people to judge who's the better man by size," Sebastian grumbled.

     Tessa grinned and patted his shoulder. "You're just still tetchy about Draco making fun of your size." She reached a hand up to place her index finger and thumb close to each other that there was barely any space between them.

     Ron bursted out laughing so hard that he slipped off his chair. He didn't stop even when Sebastian had flung a book at his direction.

     "But how do you know," Harry started when Ron finally lessened to chuckles, "that those wands — the Deathstick and the Wand of Destiny — aren't the same wand, surfacing over the centuries under different names?"

     "What, and they're all really the Elder Wand, made by Death?" Ron asked.

     Harry laughed distractedly.

     Tessa tapped her chin thoughtfully, the gears in her mind turning as she had the strangest and most bizarre idea. What if . . . Gregorovitch . . . ? No, no, Tessa shook her head — Grindelwald?

     "So why would you take the stone?" Ron asked Harry.

     "Well, if you could bring people back, we could have Sirius . . . Mad-Eye . . . Dumbledore . . . my parents. . . " Harry turned to Tessa. "Kasi. . . "

     Tears sprang to the corners of Tessa's eyes, and she swallowed the lump in her throat.

     "But according to Beedle the Bard, they wouldn't want to come back, would they?" Harry went on. "I don't suppose there have been loads of other stories about a stone that can raise the dead, have there?"

     "No," Hermione replied sadly. "I don't think anyone except Mr. Lovegood could kid themselves that's possible. Beedle probably took the idea from the Sorcerer's Stone; you know, instead of a stone to make you immortal, a stone to reverse death."

     There was a short pause that followed.

     "What the hell is that smell?" Sebastian blurted out, his face contorting as they all sniffed the air. It seemed to be coming from the kitchen with whatever Xenophilius was cooking. "If he's offering that to us for dinner, I don't want it."

     Tessa rolled her eyes. "Relax, we're not eating anything."

     "What about the Cloak, though?" Ron suddenly said slowly. "Don't you realize, he's right? I've got so used to Harry's Cloak and how good it is, I never stopped to think. I've never heard of one like Harry's. It's infallible. We've never been spotted under it —"

     "Of course not — we're invisible when we're under it, Ron!" Hermione countered knowingly.

     "But all the stuff he said about other cloaks, and they're not exactly ten a Knut, you know, is true! It's never occurred to me before, but I've heard stuff about charms wearing off cloaks when they get old, or them being ripped apart by spells so they've got holes in. Harry's was owned by his dad, so it's not exactly new, is it, but it's just . . . perfect!"

     "Yes, all right, but Ron, the stone . . ."

     Tessa had been deep in thought when Ron turned to her. "You answered all of them — all three. Why do you say so?"

     "Oh," she mumbled, blinking a couple of times as she said, "because they all complete each other. I mean," she started as she tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear. "If you come to think of it — all three items complement each other. Each one is just as important as the other, which would make complete sense why they're all called as the Deathly Hallows. Why go for one — when you can go for three?"

     As Ron and Hermione began to give their own two cents, Harry suddenly moved around the room as Tessa turned to follow his figure. "Harry, what are you doing?" Hermione called out. "I don't think you should look around when he's not here!"

     But it was too late — Tessa had already stood up and followed after him upstairs into Luna's bedroom where her ceiling was painted with six faces: Harry, Tessa, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville. The word 'friends' scrawled in golden ink was written all over the paintings a thousand times.

     Then she noticed something. "Harry," Tessa said, picking up a picture frame of Luna and her mother. "Come look at this."

     Harry went over to stand next to her, the two examining the frame. He swiped a finger across the glass, holding his finger up to brandish all the dust coating around it. "It's dusty," he mumbled.

     "It's as if nobody has lived here for quite some time now," she whispered back.

     They shared a frown before looking around the room again carefully. Dust and cobwebs hung on the walls and ceilings, the wardrobe doors were left open with no clothes inside, and the bed looked untouched.

     "What's wrong?" Sebastian asked at once when Tessa and Harry wandered back downstairs to them. He had seen the thin line of her mouth, and he sat up straight instantly.

     Tessa didn't get the chance to reply because Xenophilius had entered the room again, a tray with bowls in his hands.

     "Mr. Lovegood," Harry said. "Where's Luna?"

     "Excuse me?"

     "Where's Luna?"

     Xenophilius blinked rapidly in anxiousness. "I — I've already told you. She is down at Bottom Bridge, fishing for Plimpies."

     Tessa raised an eyebrow and said coolly, "So why have you only laid that tray for six?"

     He had nothing to say to that except open and close his mouth a few times. The tray began to shake in his hands as Sebastian silently stood up and stalked the room to flank Tessa's side like a bodyguard.

     "I don't think Luna's been here for weeks," Harry said. "Her clothes are gone, her bed hasn't been slept in. Where is she? And why do you keep looking out of the window?"

     Xenophilius dropped the tray, smashing the bowls, and the Golden Quartet drew their wands our at once. Just then, the printing press let out an explosive sound as hundreds of copies of Quibblers shot out across the floor before the machine fell silent.

     Hermione reached down to pick up a magazine. "Harry — Tessa, look at this."

     Tessa walked over, her wand still pointing at Xenophilius, with Sebastian not too far behind. His turquoise eyes gleamed inhumanly as he kept his gaze solely at the white-haired man.

     Tessa's and Harry's faces were plastered in the front of the magazine with words written in large print: Undesirable Number One and Undesirable Number Two. Beside it held the reward money for both of them.

     "The Quibbler's going for a new angle, then?" Harry asked coldly. "Is that what you were doing when you went into the garden, Mr. Lovegood? Sending an owl to the Ministry?"

     Xenophilius breathed raggedly as he whispered, "They took my Luna. Because of what I've been writing. They took my Luna and I don't know where she is, what they've done to her. But they might give her back to me if I — if I —"

     "Hand over Harry and Tessa?" Hermione finished.

     "No deal," Ron spat. "Get out of the way, we're leaving."

     "They will be here at any moment. I must save Luna. I cannot lose Luna. You must not leave." He spread his arms wide as he stood in front of the staircase to block their way out.

     Sebastian scowled and took a threatening step forward, but Tessa instantly gripped his sleeve to hold him back. "Don't make us hurt you," she warned the man. "Get out of the way, Mr. Lovegood."

     "TESSA!" Hermione screamed suddenly.

     Snapping her gaze to the side, Tessa saw figures on broomsticks flying over to the house. That split second of them all looking away from Xenophilius allowed him to draw his own wand out.

     "GET DOWN!" Sebastian shouted, throwing his body down over them as he shoved them all to the floor.

     Xenophilius's Stunning Spell missed them narrowly and hit the Erumpent horn. The room exploded — wood splintered everywhere as paper and books and rubble created a hurricane of chaos.

     Hermione was screaming, someone was falling down the iron staircase, Ron was yelling. Pain flared up from the back of Tessa's head as she groaned and pushed her way out of the rubble and cloud of dust that covered the air. Harry was next to her, kicking a broken floorboard out of his way to help her up when Sebastian suddenly hissed at them to be quiet.

     The door downstairs banged open, closely followed by a grunt, "Didn't I tell you there was no need to hurry, Travers? Didn't I tell you this nutter was just raving as usual?"

     A thudding noise and a shout of pain from Xenophilius. "No . . . no . . . upstairs . . . Potters!"

     "I told you last week, Lovegood, we weren't coming back for anything less than some solid information! Remember last week? When you wanted to swap your daughter for that stupid bleeding headdress? And the week before when you thought we'd give her back if you offered us proof there are Crumple-Headed Snorkacks?"

     "No — no — I beg you! It really is the Potters! Really!"

     "And now it turns out you only called us here to try and blow us up!" the Death Eater roared in fury as he continued to throw spells and curses at Xenophilius who sobbed in agony.

     "The place looks like it's about to fall in, Selwyn," a second voice, Travers, said. "The stairs are completely blocked. Could try clearing it? Might bring the place down."

     "You lying piece of filth," Selwyn seethed. "You've never seen the Potters in your life, have you? Thought you'd lure us here to kill us, did you? And you think you'll get your girl back like this?"

     "I swear," Xenophilius whimpered, "I swear . . . The Potters are upstairs!"

     "Homenum revelio," a voice said.

     Tessa stifled her gasp when she felt as though a shadow swooped over her body.

     "There's someone up there all right, Selwyn," one of them said.

     "It's the Potters, I tell you, Potters!" Xenophilius cried. "Please . . . please . . . give me Luna, just let me have Luna."

     "You can have your little girl, Lovegood," Selwyn jeered, "if you get up those stairs and bring me down Harry and Tessa Potter. But if this is a plot, if it's a trick, if you've got an accomplice waiting up there to ambush us, we'll see if we can spare a bit of your daughter for you to bury."

     Xenophilius wailed as he stumbled back up the stairs.

"Come on," Harry whispered, "we've got to get out of here."

As quietly as they could, they tried to push all the rubble and books off themselves. When they finally managed to get Ron up to his feet from under a heavy drawer, Sebastian whispered, "I can get us out of here."

Hermione nodded and breathed out, "I have a plan, too." She turned to Harry and said, "Give me the Invisibility Cloak. Ron, you're going to put it on."

"Me? But Harry and Tessa —"

"Please, Ron! Harry, hold on tight to my hand, Ron, grab my shoulder, Tessa, take Ron's hand under the Cloak, and Bash — "

"Don't worry about me," he interjected. "Just do whatever you're planning to do, and I'll take care of the rest."

They all waited with baited breath. They heard a slight vibrating sound, and turned to see the printing press moving aside with a Hover Charm. And when Xenophilius's face appeared over the sideboard by the stairs, Hermione cried out, "Obliviate!" Then she pointed at the floor beneath them. "Deprimo!"

And as Hermione blasted a hole beneath them, Tessa couldn't stop the scream from leaving her lips as they fell through. In the midst of the cataclysm, the last thing she saw were Death Eaters entering the room and Sebastian's gleaming turquoise eyes as he wrapped his arms around them and they all vanished into the darkness.

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

     The breath was knocked out of Tessa's lungs as she fell on her back. Wheezing for air, she felt Harry help her up to her feet as she scanned their surroundings. Sebastian had brought them into the corner of a field as Hermione walked around them and enchanted protection spells.

     "You okay?" Tessa asked, approaching Sebastian who was swaying on his feet.

     His face was pale, eyes unfocused as though he was going to pass out any minute now. "I'm fine — it's just that I've never carried so many people with me at once."

     "You should sit," she said, pushing down on his broad shoulders to make him plop down on the ground.

     "That treacherous old bleeder!" Ron exclaimed furiously, yanking the Cloak off his head. "Hermione, you're a genius, a total genius, I can't believe we got out of that!"

     "Cave Inimicum . . . " Hermione said, waving her wand. "Didn't I say it was an Erumpent horn, didn't I tell him? And now his house has been blown apart!"

     "Serves him right. What d'you reckon they'll do to him?"

     "Oh, I hope they don't kill him! That's why I wanted the Death Eaters to get a glimpse of Harry and Tessa before we left, so they knew Xenophilius hadn't been lying!"

     "Why hide me, though?" Ron asked.

     "You're supposed to be in bed with spattergroit, Ron! They've kidnapped Luna because her father supported Harry and Tessa! What would happen to your family if they knew you're with them?"

     "But what about your mum and dad?"

     "They're in Australia," Hermione replied. "They should be all right. They don't know anything."

     "You're a genius," Ron repeated. "Thanks for taking us here, Bash."

     Sebastian merely mock-saluted him, too tired to say anything.

     "I don't know what we'd do without you," Harry added to Hermione who beamed.

     "What about Luna?" Tessa asked. "If they took Luna, then that means . . . " She turned to Sebastian. "They must have your brother too."

     "Well, if they're telling the truth and she's still alive —" Ron started.

     "Don't say that, don't say it!" Hermione cried out. "She must be alive, she must!"

     "Then she'll be in Azkaban, I expect," Ron continued. "Whether she survives the place, though. Loads don't."

     "She will," Tessa said firmly. "Luna and Nikolai both." Sebastian smiled gratefully at her.

     "She's tough, Luna," Harry piped up, "much tougher than you'd think. She's probably teaching all the inmates about Wrackspurts and Nargles."

     "I hope you're right," Hermione whispered. "I'd feel so sorry for Xenophilius if —"

     "— if he hadn't just tried to sell us to the Death Eaters, yeah," Ron said grumpily.

     Tessa simply gazed out into the field as she said quietly, "Luna's his daughter. Fire may rain from the sky or lightning may strike us all — but no matter what tragedy befalls on us, Luna will always be his top priority."

     "That's pretty deep," Ron admitted. "Must've been a really wise person who said that."

     She smiled softly and said, "She is pretty wise." And as her thoughts strayed to her mother, she whispered for only herself to hear, "She only ever wanted what was best for me."

     They set up the tent again where they all huddled around the table with mugs of tea in their hands. Harry offered his bunk bed to Sebastian who crashed as soon as his head hit the pillow.

     "Oh, why did we go there?" Hermione suddenly groaned in frustration as she glanced at Harry and Tessa. "You two were right, it was Godric's Hollow all over again, a complete waste of time! The Deathly Hallows — such rubbish . . . although actually, he might have made it all up, mightn't he? He probably doesn't believe in the Deathly Hallows at all, he just wanted to keep us talking until the Death Eaters arrived!"

     "I don't think so," Ron said. "It's a damn sight harder making stuff up when you're under stress than you'd think. I found that out when the Snatchers caught me. It was much easier pretending to be Stan, because I knew a bit about him, than inventing a whole new person. Old Lovegood was under loads of pressure, trying to make sure we stayed put. I reckon he told us the truth, or what he thinks is the truth, just to keep us talking."

     "Well, I don't suppose it matters. Even if he was being honest, I never heard such a lot of nonsense in all my life."

     "Hang on, though," Ron said. "The Chamber of Secrets was supposed to be a myth, wasn't it?"

     "But the Deathly Hallows can't exist, Ron!" Hermione reasoned.

     "You keep saying that, but one of them can. Harry's Invisibility Cloak —"

     " 'The Tale of the Three Brothers' is a story. A story about how humans are frightened of death. If surviving was as simple as hiding under the Invisibility Cloak, we'd have everything we need already!"

     "I don't know. We could do with an unbeatable wand," Harry spoke up.

     "There's no such thing, Harry!"

     "You said there have been loads of wands — the Deathstick and whatever they were called —"

     "All right, even if you want to kid yourself the Elder Wand's real, what about the Resurrection Stone?" Hermione made air quotation marks at that. "No magic can raise the dead, and that's that!"

     Tessa raised an eyebrow. "I think we can all agree that's not entirely true. Are you forgetting my mother?"

     Harry nodded fervently in agreement. "When my wand connected with You-Know-Who's, it made my mum and dad appear . . . and Cedric . . ."

     "But they weren't really back from the dead, were they?" Hermione criticized. "Those kinds of — of pale imitations aren't the same as truly bringing someone back to life." She flicked her gaze to Tessa. "And your mum wasn't technically dead — she preserved her body in a deep sleep where she was stuck in limbo."

     "But she, the girl in the tale, didn't really come back, did she?" Harry countered. "The story says that once people are dead, they belong with the dead. But the second brother still got to see her and talk to her, didn't he? He even lived with her for a while."

     Fear flickered in Hermione's eyes as she glanced at Ron.

     "So that Peverell bloke who's buried in Godric's Hollow," Harry added, "you don't know anything about him, then?"

     "No," Hermione replied. "I looked him up after I saw the mark on his grave; if he'd been anyone famous or done anything important, I'm sure he'd be in one of our books. The only place I've managed to find the name 'Peverell' is Nature's Nobility: A Wizarding Genealogy. I borrowed it from Kreacher. It lists the pure-blood families that are now extinct in the male line. Apparently the Peverells were one of the earliest families to vanish."

     " 'Extinct in the male line'?" Ron repeated.

     "It means the name's died out," Tessa explained.

     Hermione nodded absentmindedly. "Centuries ago, in the case of the Peverells. They could still have descendants, though, they'd just be called something different." She nodded at Tessa. "Like Cecily Pendragon — there aren't anymore Pendragons, but Valentines are descendants."

     There was a short pause that followed before Harry suddenly blurted out, "Marvolo Gaunt!"

     "Sorry?" Ron, Tessa, and Hermione said together.

     "Marvolo Gaunt! You-Know-Who's grandfather! In the Pensieve! With Dumbledore! Marvolo Gaunt said he was descended from the Peverells! The ring, the ring that became the Horcrux, Marvolo Gaunt said it had the Peverell coat of arms on it! I saw him waving it in the bloke from the Ministry's face, he nearly shoved it up his nose!"

     "The Peverell coat of arms?" Hermione asked sharply. "Could you see what it looked like?"

     "Not really," Harry mumbled. "There was nothing fancy on there, as far as I could see; maybe a few scratches. I only ever saw it really close up after it had been cracked open."

Tessa pursed her lips to ponder on this as Ron gasped in astonishment. "Blimey . . . You reckon it was this sign again? The sign of the Hallows?"

"Why not? Marvolo Gaunt was an ignorant old git who lived like a pig, all he cared about was his ancestry. If that ring had been passed down through the centuries, he might not have known what it really was. There were no books in that house, and trust me, he wasn't the type to read fairy tales to his kids. He'd have loved to think the scratches on the stone were a coat of arms, because as far as he was concerned, having pure blood made you practically royal."

"Yes, and that's all very interesting," Hermione said blandly, "but Harry, if you're thinking what I think you're think —"

"Well, why not? Why not?" Harry exclaimed. "It was a stone, wasn't it? What if it was the Resurrection Stone?"

Ron's jaw dropped. "Blimey — but would it still work if Dumbledore broke — ?"

"Work?" Hermione repeated exasperatedly as she angrily got to her feet. "Work? Ron, it never worked! There's no such thing as a Resurrection Stone! Harry, you're trying to fit everything into the Hallows story —"

"Fit everything in?" Tessa repeated hotly. "Hermione, it fits of its own accord! There's no need to be see narrow-minded, it's okay to try to believe that this could be a possibility."

"I know the sign of the Deathly Hallows was on that stone!" Harry said firmly. "Gaunt said he was descended from the Peverells!"

"A minute ago you told us you never saw the mark on the stone properly!" Hermione snapped.

"Where d'you reckon the ring is now?" Ron ignored her and asked Harry. "What did Dumbledore do with it after he broke it open?"

Harry wasn't listening — he had a faraway glaze in his eyes.

"Harry?" Tessa asked.

He wasn't listening to either of them, he had pulled out the Invisibility Cloak and ran his fingers through it. Then suddenly he gasped. "Dumbledore had my Cloak the night my parents died! My mum told Sirius that Dumbledore borrowed the Cloak! This is why! He wanted to examine it, because he thought it was the third Hallow! Ignotus Peverell is buried in Godric's Hollow. He's my ancestor!"

Tessa's mouth hung open. "Hang on . . . doesn't that mean — ?"

"You and I are descended from the third brother!" Harry finished for her, talking very rapidly in excitement. "It all makes sense!"

Tessa felt the air rush out of her lungs as she scrubbed a hand wearily across her face. Cecily Pendragon and Ignotus Peverell — Catherine Valentine and James Potter were two very powerful people. And they probably didn't even realize the weight of it.

"Harry," Hermione said again.

Harry opened his pouch and pulled out his mother's letter. "Read it. Read it! Dumbledore had the Cloak, Hermione! Why else would he want it? He didn't need a Cloak, he could perform a Disillusionment Charm so powerful that he made himself completely invisible without one!"

     The Snitch that was with the letter in Harry's pouch fell and clattered noisily on the floor as it rolled under a chair. He picked it up and suddenly shouted, "IT'S IN HERE! He left me the ring — it's in the Snitch!"

"You — you reckon?" Rob stammered, taken aback.

"That's what he's after. You-Know-Who's after the Elder Wand." He averted his gaze away from them as he said quietly, "This is it. This explains everything. The Deathly Hallows are real, and I've got one — maybe two —" He held up the Snitch. "— and You-Know-Who's chasing the third, but he doesn't realize . . . he just thinks it's a powerful wand —"

"Harry," Hermione intervened, handing him the letter, "I'm sorry, but I think you've got this wrong, all wrong."

"But don't you see? It all fits —"

"No, it doesn't. It doesn't, Harry, you're just getting carried away."

"What if he's right, Mione?" Tessa spoke up, defending Harry. "You don't know that he's not wrong — it's a huge possibility and you can't deny that."

Hermione sighed heavily. "Please just answer me this: If the Deathly Hallows really existed, and Dumbledore knew about them, knew that the person who possessed all three of them would be master of Death — Harry, why wouldn't he have told you? Why?"

"But you said it, Hermione!" Harry cried out. "You've got to find out about them for yourself! It's a Quest!"

"But I only said that to try and persuade you to come to the Lovegoods'! I didn't really believe it!"

Harry's gaze hardened. "Dumbledore usually let me find out stuff for myself. He let me try my strength, take risks. This feels like the kind of thing he'd do."

"Harry — Tessa, this isn't a game, this isn't practice! This is the real thing, and Dumbledore left you very clear instructions: Find and destroy the Horcruxes! That symbol doesn't mean anything, forget the Deathly Hallows, we can't afford to get sidetracked —"

     Neither Harry or Tessa was listening to her. Harry was repeatedly turning the Snitch over in his hands while Tessa was sucked deep into her thoughts, sipping her tea as she let the gears turn in her head.

     Hermione exasperatedly turned to Ron for support. "You don't believe in this, do you?"

     Ron blinked rapidly, eyes shifting from Harry to Tessa and to Hermione. "I dunno . . . I mean . . . bits of it sort of fit together. But when you look at the whole thing . . . I think we're supposed to get rid of Horcruxes, you two," he mumbled awkwardly to Tessa and Harry. "That's what Dumbledore told us to do. Maybe . . . maybe we should forget about this Hallows business." The wince Ron did after what he said seemed like he regret saying it in the first place were it not for Hermione's sharp eyes.

     "Thank you, Ron," Hermione said sniffing and rising to her feet. "Since Bash is resting, I'll take first watch." With that said, she strode past them all and sat at the threshold of the tent.

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

"I've got it, I've got it!" Ron exclaimed one night from where he sat fiddling with his radio. "Password was 'Albus'! Get in here, Harry! Tessa, come here!"

March had arrived sooner before they'd expected, and they were still hovering around countrysides every morning with little progress. Sebastian was still with them despite Tessa's attempts on convincing him she'd be okay on her own with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

She had asked him a couple weeks ago on what his real surname was, and he said that he was born a bastard child whose mother died upon birth and a father who neglected him to the streets. But if he were to take up his father's namesake, it would have been Dimitriou — Sebastian Dimitriou.

Tessa had been sitting alongside with Sebastian who was showing her the fighting leathers he was wearing and why it was useful when in combat, when Ron called them over. She hurried over to sit on the floor next to Hermione who was polishing the sword of Gryffindor. Harry rushes back in the tent from where he was taking the first watch.

There was a small static in the network before a familiar voice came through, ". . . apologize for our temporary absence from the airwaves, which was due to a number of house calls in our area by those charming Death Eaters."

"But that's Lee Jordan!" Hermione exclaimed.

"I know!" Ron beamed happily. "Cool, eh?"

". . . now found ourselves another secure location," Lee said, "and I'm pleased to tell you that two of our regular contributors have joined me here this evening. Evening, boys!"

"Hi."

"Evening, River."

     " 'River,' that's Lee," Ron explained. "They've all got code names, but you can usually tell —"

     "Shh!" Hermione hissed.

     "But before we hear from Royal and Romulus," Lee went on, "let's take a moment to report those deaths that the Wizarding Wireless Network News and Daily Prophet don't think important enough to mention. It is with great regret that we inform our listeners of the murders of Ted Tonks and Dirk Cresswell."

     Tessa shut her eyes at that information as the others looked at each other in horror.

     "A goblin by the name of Gornuk was also killed. It is believed that Muggle-born Dean Thomas and a second goblin, both believed to have been traveling with Tonks, Cresswell, and Gornuk, may have escaped. If Dean is listening, or if anyone has any knowledge of his whereabouts, his parents and sisters are desperate for news.

     "Meanwhile, in Gaddley, a Muggle family of five has been found dead in their home. Muggle authorities are attributing the deaths to a gas leak, but members of the Order of the Phoenix inform me that it was the Killing Curse — more evidence, as if it were needed, of the fact that Muggle slaughter is becoming little more than a recreational sport under the new regime.

     "Finally, we regret to inform our listeners that the remains of Bathilda Bagshot have been discovered in Godric's Hollow. The evidence is that she died several months ago. The Order of the Phoenix informs us that her body showed unmistakable signs of injuries inflicted by Dark Magic.

     "Listeners, I'd like to invite you now to join us in a minute's silence in memory of Ted Tonks, Dirk Cresswell, Bathilda Bagshot, Gornuk, and the unnamed, but no less regretted, Muggles murdered by the Death Eaters."

     Silence fell amongst the five of them in the tent, none of them saying a word.

     "Thank you," Lee said again. "And now we turn to regular contributor Royal, for an update on how the new Wizarding order is affecting the Muggle world."

     "Thanks, River," a deep voice said, and Tessa recognized it at once.

     "Kingsley!" Ron exclaimed.

     "We know!" Hermione shushed him again.

     "Muggles remain ignorant of the source of their suffering as they continue to sustain heavy casualties," Kingsley said. "However, we continue to hear truly inspirational stories of wizards and witches risking their own safety to protect Muggle friends and neighbors, often without the Muggles' knowledge. I'd like to appeal to all our listeners to emulate their example, perhaps by casting a protective charm over any Muggle dwellings in your street. Many lives could be saved if such simple measures are taken."

     "And what would you say, Royal, to those listeners who reply that in these dangerous times, it should be 'Wizards first'?" Lee asked.

     "I'd say that it's one short step from 'Wizards first' to 'Purebloods first,' and then to 'Death Eaters.' We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving."

     "Excellently put, Royal, and you've got my vote for Minister of Magic if ever we get out of this mess," Lee said. "And now, over to Romulus for our popular feature 'Pals of Potters.' "

     "Thanks, River," came a distinctly warm voice that Tessa grinned at.

     Ron opened his mouth, but Hermione beat him to it, "We know it's Lupin!"

     Hang on a damn second, Tessa thought. Romulus . . . Remus . . .

     Tessa had to cover her face for a moment to conceal her laughter that shook her shoulders.

     "Romulus, do you maintain, as you have every time you've appeared on our program, that Harry and Tessa Potter are still alive?"

     "I do," Remus said firmly. "There is no doubt at all in my mind that their deaths would be proclaimed as widely as possible by the Death Eaters if it had happened, because it would strike a deadly blow at the morale of those resisting the new regime. 'The Boy Who Lived' and 'The Girl Who Protected' — "

     Ron raised an eyebrow at Tessa to which she replied, "It's probably Adalene who started that nickname."

     " — remain symbols of everything for which we are fighting: the triumph of good, the power of innocence, the need to keep resisting."

     Tessa melted indefinitely at what Remus said as a smile quirked her lips upward.

     "And what would you say to Harry and Tessa if you knew they were listening, Romulus?"

     "I'd tell them we're all with them in spirit," Remus said. "And I'd tell them to follow their instincts, which are good and nearly always right." A short pause as though he were listening to somebody speak in the background before he added, "And if Tessa's mother were here, she'd want to tell Tessa that she's so proud of her for being one of the bravest people she's ever known."

     Tessa hastily wiped a stray tear that rolled down her cheek as Hermione repeated, "Nearly always right."

"Oh, didn't I tell you?" Ron piped up. "Bill told me Lupin's living with Tonks again! And apparently she's getting pretty big too. Aunt Cathy has been giving her some baby tips and helping with decorating the nursery and stuff."

". . . and our usual update on those friends of Harry and Tessa Potter's who are suffering for their allegiance?" Lee's voice interrupted Ron.

"Well, as regular listeners will know, several of the more outspoken supporters of Harry and Tessa Potter have now been imprisoned, including Xenophilius Lovegood, erstwhile editor of The Quibbler," Remus informed.

"At least he's still alive," Sebastian spoke up with a shrug.

"We have also heard within the last few hours that Rubeus Hagrid, well-known gamekeeper at Hogwarts School, has narrowly escaped arrest within the grounds of Hogwarts, where he is rumored to have hosted a 'Support Harry and Tessa Potter' party in his house. However, Hagrid was not taken into custody, and is, we believe, on the run."

The Quartet sighed loudly in relief.

"I suppose it helps, when escaping from Death Eaters, if you've got a sixteen-foot-high half brother?" Lee asked humorously.

"It would tend to give you an edge," Remus agreed. "May I just add that while we here at Potterwatch applaud Hagrid's spirit, we would urge even the most devoted of Harry's and Tessa's supporters against following Hagrid's lead. 'Support Harry and Tessa Potter' parties are unwise in the present climate."

"Indeed they are, Romulus," Lee said, "so we suggest that you continue to show your devotion to the siblings by listening to Potterwatch! And now let's move to news concerning the wizard who is proving just as elusive as Harry and Tessa Potter. We like to refer to him as the Chief Death Eater, and here to give his views on some of the more insane rumors circulating about him, I'd like to introduce a new correspondent: Rodent."

"'Rodent'?" a familiar voice mused.

"Freddie!" Tessa blurted out at once, eyes widening as she beamed. She missed him so much that even a single word from him made her tear up. Though she couldn't see his face, hearing his voice made her heart clench painfully for her best friend.

"No — is it George?" Harry asked, unsure.

"It's Fred, I think," Ron said as Tessa nodded fervently in agreement.

"I'm not being 'Rodent,' no way, I told you I wanted to be 'Rapier'!"

"Oh, all right then. 'Rapier,' could you please give us your take on the various stories we've been hearing about the Chief Death Eater?"

"Yes, River, I can," Fred said. "As our listeners will know, unless they've taken refuge at the bottom of a garden pond or somewhere similar, You-Know-Who's strategy of remaining in the shadows is creating a nice little climate of panic. Mind you, if all the alleged sightings of him are genuine, we must have a good nineteen You- Know-Whos running around the place."

"Which suits him, of course," Kingsley said. "The air of mystery is creating more terror than actually showing himself."

"Agreed," Fred huffed. "So, people, let's try and calm down a bit. Things are bad enough without inventing stuff as well. For instance, this new idea that You-Know-Who can kill with a single glance from his eyes. That's a basilisk, listeners. One simple test: Check whether the thing that's glaring at you has got legs. If it has, it's safe to look into its eyes, although if it really is You-Know-Who, that's still likely to be the last thing you ever do."

Tessa couldn't help but to burst out laughing, falling onto Harry who was also laughing hard and clutching his stomach.

"And the rumors that he keeps being sighted abroad?" Lee added.

"Well, who wouldn't want a nice little holiday after all the hard work he's been putting in?" Fred said. "Point is, people, don't get lulled into a false sense of security, thinking he's out of the country. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo when he wants to, so don't count on him being a long way away if you're planning on taking any risks. I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but safety first!"

"Thank you very much for those wise words, Rapier," Lee said. "Now, before Potterwatch comes to an end, I would like to add one last thing. Rapier has with him a note of support to Tessa Potter from a very special and secret guest. Rapier, if you will."

Tessa blinked in surprise as she shared bemused glances with the others. "A note of support to me?" she repeated in confusion.

"This was from a sender by the name of 'Helianthus'," Fred said. "Apparently, Helianthus said that Tessa would be able to understand what his name meant."

Tessa shook her head. "I have no idea what or who Helianthus is."

"It's the scientific name for sunflower," Hermione informed her.

Tessa stilled — she'd gone so still one would think she wasn't even breathing. With tears brimming her eyes, her lower lip quivered as she whispered, "Draco." A breathy sound left her as she clutched a hand over her heart, a sharp and painful longing racking her body and tightening in her chest. It's been months since she's seen him, and she yearned for him like never before.

Fred cleared his throat and began to read the note, " 'My dearest Braveheart — you've come a long way, my love, and I wish for nothing more but for you to return home safely. I'm sorry I can't say much in this note except to express my support and well wishes for you and your brother — I would hope my letter had gotten to you by means of Dendrobatidae.' "

"What does that mean?" Sebastian demanded at once with narrowed eyes at the radio as though he could glare at Draco face to face.

Hermione's mouth twitched. "It's the scientific name for a poison dart frog."

He banged his head against the table.

     " 'I won't take up much of your time in Potterwatch,' " Fred went on as he read the letter, " 'but I would like everyone listening to know that A Tale of Two Cities has always been Tessa's favorite book, and so to give her strength — here is an excerpt of one of her favorite scenes by Sydney Carton, her favorite literary character.

" 'I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul. Since I knew you, I have been troubled by a remorse that I thought would never reproach me again, and have heard whispers from old voices impelling me upward, that I thought were silent for ever. I have had unformed ideas of striving afresh, beginning anew, shaking off sloth and sensuality, and fighting out the abandoned fight. A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing, and leaves the sleeper where he lay down, but I wish you to know that you inspired it.' "

Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Sebastian were all watching Tessa who was staring transfixed at the radio. Tears were streaming down her face, yet she was still able to recite in a soft and quiet voice, " 'Will nothing of it remain? O Mr. Carton, think again! Try again!' "

It was as though Draco knew she would easily remember the next line that Lucie had said, because Carton's reply was in the letter Fred was reading for all of Potterwatch to hear.

" 'No, Miss Manette; all through it, I have known myself to be quite undeserving. And yet I have had the weakness, and have still the weakness, to wish you to know with what a sudden mastery you kindled me, heap of ashes that I am, into fire—a fire, however, inseparable in its nature from myself, quickening nothing, lighting nothing, doing no service, idly burning away.' "

A short pause of silence followed, the quietness where the faint sound of Tessa's sobs were the only thing that could be heard.

"And there you have it, folks!" Lee said once again in a cheerful voice. "Listeners, that brings us to the end of another Potterwatch. We don't know when it will be possible to broadcast again, but you can be sure we shall be back. Keep twiddling those dials: The next password will be 'Mad-Eye.' Keep each other safe: Keep faith. Good night." The radio's dial spun and the lights went out.

Tessa let out another sob, falling into Harry who embraced her. "I miss him," she whispered brokenly, crumpling the shirt over her heart that ached terribly. "I miss him so much."

Harry stroked the length of her hair, pressing a kiss at the crown of her head. "I know," he said quietly.

When Tessa finally stopped crying, Ron coughed awkwardly and said, "Good, eh?"

"Brilliant," Harry said.

"It's so brave of them," Hermione said admiringly. "If they were found . . ."

"Well, they keep on the move, don't they?" Ron said. "Like us."

"But did you hear what Fred said?" Harry suddenly said excitedly. "He's abroad! He's still looking for the Wand, I knew it!"

"Harry —" Hermione started.

"Come on, Hermione, why are you so determined not to admit it? Vol —"

"HARRY, NO!"

"— demort's after the Elder Wand!"

"The name's Taboo!" Ron bellowed, jumping to his feet as a crack echoed outside the tent. "I told you, Harry, I told you, we can't say it anymore — we've got to put the protection back around us — quickly — it's how they find —"

Sebastian raised a hand up to stop him from talking, his turquoise eyes gleaming inhumanly bright as his lips curled back to reveal his sharp incisors.

There were voices outside them, growing louder as footsteps approached them.

Ron pulled the Deluminator out of his pocket and pulled the light from their lamps in it.

"Come out of there with your hands up!" a voice called out. "We know you're in there! You've got half a dozen wands pointing at you and we don't care who we curse!"

"Oh, shit," Tessa blurted out.

A/N

Draco sent a letter AGAIN to Tessa, this time through Potterwatch! *heart eyes* and if you remember, Tessa mentioned those lines when she read A Tale of Two Cities for the very first time (Chapter 19, Saudade)

We have around 8-9 chapters left before Reckless and Brave is officially over! And then 3 or 4 special chapters after, followed by a Mischief Managed/Reckless and Brave Canon page.

I hope you liked and enjoyed this chapter! Any favorite scene/s?

Thank you so much for reading! Please please don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

730K 25.4K 79
Y/N's laughs echoed through the empty corridors of Hogwarts as she runs hand in hand with Draco. He couldn't help but smile, he's done something he h...
703K 24.9K 72
"Must be tough, everyone loves you, don't they? So goddamn perfect. They don't see it but I do, Potter. I can see straight through you." "And what do...
91.9K 2.1K 86
COMPLETE. Hermione convinces Draco to spy for the Order and she becomes his handler. But what are Draco's true motivations? Hard to say when he's sti...
46.5K 1.2K 42
Draco Malfoy: cold, distant, ignorant, rude, arrogant, and above all else, downright gorgeous. Juniper Hartley: caring, intelligent, unfathomably sw...