Protecting and Healing You

By rachel_dulay

{completed} On the one of the craziest nights in New York, a fire had taken place that afternoon, a riot at n... More

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Bonus Chapter.

Chapter 17.

1.5K 46 3
By rachel_dulay

"When was the last time the two of us had the day off together?" Amelia asks as we walk out of the elevator.

"Honestly I was asking myself the same thing when I was getting ready, maybe before we passed our exam?" I ask.

"Probably"she nods agreeing. I whistle for a cab. We were going to go pick up Nellie seeing as both Finley and Leo are working, they have another hard case so I thought I'd help. We were planning to do a girls day with shopping and then end it with dinner and a play.

Amelia and I made some small and light conversation while we rode towards Leo's apartment. Once we got there I let myself in.

"Honey! We're home!" Amelia yells inside the buzzing apartment as a joke. Finley was closest to us, he was strapping on his belt.

"Leo's trying to get Nellie to settle down. I may or may not have feed her sugary cereal"He jokes.

"Only you"Amelia chuckles as running feet come into the main area of the apartment.

"Julie!" Nellie shouts. I smile as I pick her up and she hugs me. "Hi Mia!" She waves back at Amelia and I smile.

"Hey"Leo sighs as he walks over to me. I smile as we kiss quickly "now you behave for Julie and Mia okay?" Leo says to Nellie and she nods as she wraps her arms around my neck.

"I will"She promises.

"I'll pick her up when I can" Leo turns to me.

"Of course, just let me know. If anything I come back to your apartment and wait for you"I say. He nods and kisses my forehead.

"I'll text you"

"You boys gonna investigate a M.U.R.D.E.R?" Amelia spells out.

"Classified"Leo jokes.

"Your job is so boring"Amelia whines as Leo slips on Nellie's shoes. "Everything is classified for you guys"

"Isn't it illegal to give out patients information as well?" Finley asks, eating a bagel.

"Shut it O'Connor"Amelia snaps. He laughs.

"Okay well, we're gonna head out. Time to go shopping"I announce "you ready?"

"Shopping!" Nellie smiles.

"See ya"I smile at Leo.

"Bye beautiful"He smiles before kissing me.

"Ew!" Everyone in the apartment yells.

"Okay! Jeez!"Leo laughs and Nellie waves at Finley and hugs Leo quickly before we leave.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Are you sure you won't be too cold for ice cream?" I ask Nellie as we exit the sushi restaurant.

"No, not too cold"Nellie smiles as she puts her hand in mine.

"Okay if you say so" I chuckle as Amelia steps up beside me. The streets of New York became much busier as the work day started to come to an end. I had yet to receive a text from Leo but I can only assume that he was having a tough day at work especially since he's taking on a new case.

"What ice cream place?" I look over at my best friend as we waited for the cross walk. People brushed past us and I got worried that I would loose Nellie so I decided to pick her up and place her on my hip.

"Nells have you ever been to Cookie DŌ?" Amelia asks, without looking up from her phone.

"No"Nellie says wrapping her arms around me.

"Well you are in for a treat"I smile at her.

"Yay!" She squeals.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After a successful day in New York, we dropped our shopping bags at our apartment and headed back to Leo and Finley's considering we still haven't heard from them.

"Does Leo and Finley cook veggies?" I ask as I put some groceries.

"Veggies?" Nellie asks from the counter where she sat colouring with Amelia. Amelia and I laugh.

"Well whatever the you daddy says and Finley, veggies are good for you" Amelia says.

"What are your favourite veggies?" Nellie asks.

"Mine are carrots with some sauce"Amelia says. Nellie looks up at me.

"Mine are cauliflower"I smile as I wave the bag of cauliflower.

"It's white!" She smiles. I nod.

"When I was a little girl like you, my mom use to roast these and they were very very good" I nod.

"Can I try?" She asks.

"With the ham and cheese croissants?" Amelia asks. She nods enthusiastically.

I laugh "okay if you'd like"

"I like"Nellie nods again.

"What a weird combination"Amelia says looking at me. I shrug.

"Kids eat the weirdest things I guess"I laugh.

Surprisingly Nellie loved the cauliflower which was a shocker to Amelia and I. As I got Nellie ready for bed, a shower and book too Amelia cleaned up the kitchen.

"Goodnight Nell"I whisper as I close her bedroom door slowly and quietly.

"Over my years of babysitting experience, she is the easiest kid I've ever"I chuckle. My best friend smiles at me.

"So have you heard anything from the boys?" She asks as I join her at the sink. We had decided to make some cupcakes after dinner as a dessert.

"No, nothing"I sigh "I called Leo once more while we were decorating and it went straight to voicemail"

"Well they are doing a new case and you know how serious they take their cases" she says.

"I know and that's the problem, I'm just worried now because they have Nellie with them"I sigh. She gives me a tight smile and we do the dishes in silent.

Amelia left an hour later considering she had to wake up early for her shift tomorrow, I stayed  back considering Nellie couldn't be left alone. I was curled up on their couch, with some Netflix on a moderate volume not wanting to wake Nellie up.

You could say I was practically asleep when the front door open and I jumped awake, sitting up slowly. Leo comes in sighing loudly.

"Hey beautiful"He smiles, shrugging off his jacket. I smile tiredly.

"Hi"

"You didn't have to wait"he says, walking over to me as he ran a hand by his hair.

"Are you kidding? You have a daughter now"I chuckle. He sits down and stares into space for a second.

"Right"he shakes his head. I chuckle and kiss his cheek. "Woah, hey I've had a rough day, I expect a better kiss"He whines as he places his fingers on my chin.

"Okay, just because you've had a rough day"I muse. He smirks as he leans forward and kisses me.

"Are you staying over?" He asks, leaning back on the couch.

"Yea I'm to tired to go home"I nod.

"Okay well you can shower first because I'm starving"He sighs.

"Have you not eaten all day?" I ask.

"Will you be mad if I said I hadn't?"

"I might"

"Okay well I will not answer"He smiles at me, I roll my eyes.

"Fine, I'm gonna go shower. At least go kiss your daughter"I say as he leans forward and shuts the tv. I stand up.

"Don't worry, I will"He says, patting the back of my thigh. I roll my eyes and swat his hand and he chuckles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The annoying noise of a constant ring woke me from a deep slumber "Leo" I whine, turning away from him and his warmth, annoyed. The ringing continues and I groan "Leo!"I snap.

I hear him move around before the ringing stops "hello?" He groggily says. He says a few more single words before I hear him throwing his phone back on the nightstand.

Leo suddenly drags me back over to his side and I fall right into my place, tucked underneath his arm.

"That was Fin"he says, kissing the top of my head. I sigh. "I'm sorry beautiful but I left him there all night and he's exhausted"

I nod "I know"I admit.

"I'd make breakfast like usual but I'm gonna be running late"He says playing with my hair.

"It's okay, I'll make breakfast"

"I called my mom last night to come pick up Nellie, she should be here at 10 so you'll still have time to take your pre work nap"I chuckle and look up at him.

"Always so thoughtful"I smile and he smiles back.

"Always"He kisses my cheek when the bedroom door swings open, hitting the back wall hard. "Oh! In coming!" Leo yells as Nellie comes running in, he swiftly picks Nellie up and I move back as she settles beside in between us.

"Good morning pumpkin"Leo smiles as he pulls her closer.

"Morning Daddy"she smiles as he kisses her cheek. I smile at the two.

"Hey listen, I have to go to work today and so does Julie so how do you feel about spending the day with Isla?" He asks. She nods.

"Okay but for now I want cuddles"Leo says bringing her closer and tickling her. Her laugh fills the room.

"Can we have pancakes?" Nellie asks, once Leo has stopped tickling her.

"Come on, I'll get you started while Julie changes"Leo announces and I nod. He swiftly picks Nellie up as he rolls out of bed, he throws Nellie over his shoulders and gallops out of the bedroom. And watching them all I couldn't stop smiling.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hey honey" Chris says through the phone.

"Hey"I smile tiredly as I sat down to eat my lunch.

"How's work?"

"Okay, busy"I sigh.

"Well I won't keep you long but your mother wanted to remind me to remind you that family dinner is this weekend"

"Oh crap yea I forgot"I rub my forehead, my step dad chuckles.

"I figured and we figured that you would spend the weekend with Leo and Nellie so you are welcome to extend the invitation"

"I'm not sure if Leo will be able to make it, he's on a new case and"

"Okay"He agrees "well he is still welcome and who knows maybe it'll be a good stress reliever for him"I chuckle.

"He tries not to have any stress relievers until he's done the case, but I will let him know"

"Good, and I will have you know you your mother has fridged my retirement letter" he announces, I laugh.

"How are we not surprised"

He chuckles "we've received a letter from Isaiah and he's been deployed elsewhere"

"Oh really? I haven't checked my mailbox in a while, where has he been deported?" I ask, biting into my salad.

"Malaysia"

"Oh really? For how long?"

"He didn't say, he said that he'd send another letter to let us know when"

"Okay"I nod.

"Well I'll you girl baby girl, have a good rest of your shift" he says.

"Thanks, and I won't cause I'm exhausted" I tell him. He chuckles.

"A few more hours"

"Yea, I'll let you guys know if Leo will be able to make it or if I'll be coming by myself"

"Alrighty"he says and soon we said our goodbyes.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Let's go! Bachelor!" Amelia squeals and she flops down beside me, handing me my own taco bowl. I had woken up from my mid day nap after my night shift.

"Thanks"I thank her for my dinner. "What time are you on call?" I ask her.

"At twelve"she sighs as she turns on the tv. I make a face. My phone begins to ring on the coffee table and I reach over and answer it.

"Hello?" I say not bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Julie, hi"

"Oh hi Stephanie"I smile.

"So I'm almost into the city with Nellie and realized I forgot Leo's apartment key"

"Your heading to Leo's apartment?"

"Yea, he called and said he wouldn't be able to come home tonight"

"Well I'm closer to the the tunnel so you can drop Nellie off at my apartment and head back before the end of the night" I suggest.

"Are you sure? Because it's no worry, I just needed to pick some of Nellie's essentials"

"Of course not, I'd love to have her over especially since Amelia night work tonight"

"Okay then, I'll be over in ten minutes. Thank you Julie" 

"Of course"I say with a smile as I watch Amelia record the new episode of the Bachelor.

"See you soon"Stephanie says.

"See you soon" I say before we hang up.

Amelia and I flow back into conversation as I text Leo that his mom was dropping Nellie off for the night and she was welcome to stay with me and he can pick her up in the morning or whenever the next day. I figured it was better to text Leo then call because he'd never listen to the voicemail I'd leave him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I roll onto my back as I realize the sun was streaming into my bedroom. I almost scream but stop myself when I see Leo asleep on one of my chairs put into the corner of my room but looks like he dragged it over, kicked his shoes off and fell asleep at the foot of my bed.

Leo was still in his cop uniform, I looked over at Nellie fast asleep and slowly get out of bed. Placing a hand on Leo's shoulder, he jumps awake and looks up at me. I smile down at him and tilt my head to my door, signalling him to follow me. He nods groggily and stands up.

I wait for him at the door before wrapping my arms around him as he shuts my bedroom door quietly.

"What time did you get here?" I ask him as we walk into the kitchen.

"Three or maybe two? I'm not sure" He yawns.

"You could've just gone home, I would've dropped Nellie off to you" I say as he leans on the counter and I immediately start on the coffee.

I begin to fill the coffee pot up with water "Nah it's fine, and plus I've gotten use to Nellie being at the apartment it would've just been weird if I came home and she wasn't there. So I thought I'd just come home to you two"He yawns.

I stop the water "you are sweet"I smile at him and he shrugs. I lean over and kiss him, he kisses back.

I smile as I pull away "I'm surprised Amelia didn't kick your ass when you entered so late" I say, he chuckles.

"She wasn't home"He announces as I place the pot in the coffee marker. "But if she were she definitely would've kicked my ass and in all honesty I would've just let her"He says, I laugh "I was so exhausted"he tells me. We laugh.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.4K 1.4K 59
After finally escaping the dreaded psych ward they've been contained in for years, Josiah and Leyla run around the country wreaking havoc while attem...
635K 18.3K 46
When Ivy Lancaster, a young and successful publisher, saves a family farm in an old rundown town, her life is flipped on its axis. Her charity puts h...
2.1M 52.3K 48
Saving Leah Series Book 1 Buy an edited and refined version on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PTD577S/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=saving+l...
580K 33K 47
[•2020 Readers' Choice Winner for Best Beginner's Story and Nominee for Best Overall Story•] Lauren Allert is a pediatric oncology nurse whose spirit...