The Crown Prince's Bodyguard

By Kim_Knights

Wang Li Xun, the Crown Prince, goes out hunting for the Celestial Flower to save his mother from a terminal i... More

1 ♛ The Celestial Flower
2 ♛ The Creature
3 ♛ His Saviour
4 ♛ The Search
5 ♛ An Offer
6 ♛ First Friend
7 ♛ The Guardian
8 ♛ A Hunch
9 ♛ Into the Palace
10 ♛ Acceptance
11 ♛ The First Day
12 ♛ The Royal Family
13 ♛ Training
14 ♛ Caught in the Act
15 ♛ The Princess
16 ♛ The Rogues
17 ♛ The Royal Siblings
18 ♛ An Awkward Situation
19 ♛ A Puzzle
20 ♛ A Troubled Cousin
21 ♛ Drunken Men
22 ♛ A Crisis
23 ♛ Women
24 ♛ Runaway
25 ♛ Suspicion
26 ♛ An Unsteady Heart
27 ♛ The Grand Hall
28 ♛ The Performance
29 ♛ Pandemonium
30 ♛ Growing Feelings
31 ♛ The Awakened Prince
32 ♛ A Truce
33 ♛ The Excursion
34 ♛ The Hill of Death
35 ♛ The Truth
36 ♛ The Monsters in the Darkness
37 ♛ Mayhem
38 ♛ The Escape
39 ♛ The Guardian of the Celestial Flowers
40 ♛ The Mastermind
41 ♛ His Absence
43 ♛ Reunion
Epilogue
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Pt. 1)
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Pt. 2)
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Pt. 3)
Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Final)

42 ♛ Unforeseen Events

134K 9.3K 1.2K
By Kim_Knights

- Li Xun -

Wang Chen was apprehended for his crimes.

That night, if Li Xun had not sent Ling Yao back in time after discovering the mastermind behind the recent assassinations, things might have turned out disastrous.

Ever since the Emperor was almost killed, the palace had been in a state of uproar. Lord Chen was harshly interrogated and forced to reveal all of his sins. If not for Li Xun's sincere plea to spare his cousin's life, he would have been executed in public. Now, he was exiled to a small, isolated island and placed under tighter security.

This wasn't the end. By the order of the Emperor, Li Xun cleansed the Court by getting rid of the remaining corrupted rats who had conspired with Lord Chen.

Back in his office, he snuck a peek at his long-time friend, who was behaving oddly ever since their return to the palace. From the shadow in his eyes, anyone could tell that his mind was troubled.

"Why the constant frown, Ling Yao? Shouldn't you be happy that you will be receiving a promotion and a reward tomorrow?"

The man hesitated, before eventually revealing the reason behind his discomfort. "People are constantly staring and giggling around me, especially the maids. They can't stop approaching me."

"Oh." Li Xun smirked and set down his paperwork. "Isn't it obvious? You saved Father from the assassins. You're now being regarded as a hero in everybody's eyes. It is, without a question, that you've gotten yourself quite a few admirers now."

If anything, Ling Yao appeared even more displeased. He shifted his weight between his feet, looking rather awkward with all the attention he was receiving. His voice dropped to a low whisper, wary of the servants lurking outside of the office.

"How can I stop them?"

This time, Li Xun couldn't simply miss the opportunity to tease his friend. "I've got a solution. Why don't you take this chance to find a suitable spouse for yourself? The maids will stop coming once they see you're engaged."

Ling Yao arched one of his brows at him questioningly, his mouth twitching once in humour. "I would like to pass up on that idea, Your Highness. After witnessing how you're constantly tortured for days to select a bride, I would much rather prefer my unmarried life."

The reminder sent a wave of unpleasant memories through Li Xun's mind. His hands clutched his head and he groaned out loud. "Don't remind me about the meetings. I'm tired."

He wasn't lying. Ever since the sudden announcement by the Emperor on wanting to relinquish his throne and find a suitable bride for Li Xun, all attention was placed on him. Countless requests came flooding in everyday and his daily schedule was filled to the brim. The Empress had taken upon the role to introduce him to several ministers' and dukes' daughters, much to her content, and not a day went by without Li Xun meeting up with them.

They tried hard to catch his attention; the bolder ones would prattle on about everything and shower him with praises, whereas the shy ones would blush, stuttering over their words and avoiding eye contact with him. However, the more they talked, the more apologetic he felt. No matter how hard they tried, these girls would never be able to interest him.

None of them were as captivating as her. And brave, and beautiful, and smart.

Ling Yao spoke up again, coincidentally speaking about the woman Li Xun was thinking about. "Your Highness, what're you going to do about her?"

His breath hitched in his throat. "Who?" he asked. "Long'Er?"

The way her name rolled off his tongue easily reminded him of how much he missed her. Nobody seemed to realise that she had posed as a man during her times as his bodyguard, except Ling Yao. He suspected it when she first appeared with Li Xun at the Hill of Death and confirmed it when he witnessed her familiar style of fighting. He was, after all, the one who supervised her training.

When confronted, it didn't leave Li Xun much of a choice but to tell him the truth.

"She's safe with the Intelligence Bureau. Once she has recovered from her injuries, I'll permit her to return."

"How? It's risky to let her remain as your bodyguard, much less be constantly around men all day long. You know the consequences."

Ling Yao was right. Li Xun hadn't seen her for over a month and terribly wanted to bring her into the palace, but not as his bodyguard. She couldn't remain in that identity by his side forever. To avoid anybody else from finding out about her secret, he had planned to erase her old identity and replace it with a new one.

However, when he spoke to his father about his love interest without revealing her name, he was met with an immediate look of disapproval.

"No, I cannot permit this. A girl from a common background with nothing that can strengthen our family's throne? She will be the cause of your downfall in the future."

Li Xun was about to retort that she was the one who saved the Empress's life, but he clamped his lips together tightly.

No. He couldn't endanger her life. If word got out that she entered the palace as a man, she would be severely punished for lying. A lie was still a lie. It wouldn't place her in a better light. And one should never expect leniency from the Emperor. He was, after all, a strict man who gave out unbiased punishments.

Needless to say, Li Xun was disappointed with his father's response but he wasn't giving up. He was going to find another way to bring Long'Er into the palace. To persuade his father to let him marry a girl of his choice.

And speaking about her... He hadn't gotten a chance to sneak out and travel back to the residence where she was temporarily housed. He was forbidden to leave the palace's grounds. Each time he attempted to do so, he was brought back to his quarters by the guards.

He knew it was his father's doing to stop him from seeing her.

Left without much of a choice, he resorted to writing a letter but it proved to be rather difficult because he didn't know how he should explain himself. And knowing how fast the rumours had spread, Long'Er would have definitely heard the news about the selection of his bride.

First of all, he should assure her that it would be nothing of concern.

She was all he cared about.

She was the one he wanted to be with.

Just as he was about to write his feelings down on paper, Eunuch Li entered his room to deliver a letter to him. He pulled it out from the envelope, his eyes running across the words that were clearly Minister Han's handwriting. Once he finished reading, he was certain his heart had plummeted to his feet.

What was going on?

What did Minister Han mean by Long'Er had quit being his bodyguard?

Was she mad at him? Because she thought he had forgotten about her?

Crushing the letter tightly in his hand, he stood up and called for Ling Yao. "We need to go."

His friend was alarmed by his pale expression. "Your Highness? Where are we going?"

"To Minister Han's place in Jingxi village."

Seeing how he was edging towards hysteria, Ling Yao straightened and trailed after him wordlessly. They left the palace on their horses, speeding through the gates regardless of the warnings hurled at them. But all Li Xun could think of was the letter tucked away in his clothes. He was anxious and worried that he might lose the girl that he loved.

He could only pray that he wasn't too late.

***

By the time he had arrived at the residence, Long'Er had disappeared. All of her belongings were gone. When he demanded Minister Han for an explanation, the amiable man kept apologising for not stopping her when she insisted on leaving.

There was a likelihood of her heading back home – to the Great Heavenly Lake where the Celestial Flowers resided. Li Xun turned and dashed out of the place but his path was blocked by a group of palace soldiers who had caught up to him. They were sent by the Empress and on her order, he was forced to return to the palace and escorted to her bedchamber immediately.

His mother wasn't pleased. Stern lines ran along her forehead and mouth as she glared at him.

"Where did you go? Are you trying to endanger your life again?"

Li Xun fumbled for an answer. He was afraid of her, because she was the type of person who almost never got angry.

"Mother, I need to go—"

"No," she answered firmly, refusing to listen to his reason. She grabbed his wrist, fearing that he would run off like a child if she didn't hold onto him. "My apologies, dearest son, but you can't leave now. Your behaviour is getting out of control recently. Have you forgotten your duty?"

"I–" His words died under the heat of her glare. "I didn't, Mother. I'm sorry."

The Empress sighed. "There are guests waiting for you in the Grand Hall. We should go."

"Again, Mother?" he protested. "Haven't I already met like over twenty maidens till date?"

"Precisely. And you haven't even picked any of them. Your father isn't going to let this matter rest until you pick one." When she saw how his face fell, her eyes softened. "Come on, there's no harm in meeting the other maidens. Who knows you might end up liking one?"

"But I—"

"Hush. We're already running late."

Despite his mood turning foul, he didn't retaliate when his mother pulled him along with her. Together, they made their way to the opulent hall where members from influential families were sitting at the long tables and eagerly waiting for their arrivals. The servants stepped forward to serve several colourful snacks and tea.

At the dais, he sat beside his mother. Half of his mind was in the clouds. He barely listened as the ministers and dukes introduced their daughters with great enthusiasm. Proudly showing them off by boasting their talents and beauty.

Li Xun kept his expression cool but kept his gaze on his tea cup in his hand, busy forming a plan in his head to retrieve Long'Er. Even as murmurs of surprise rose from the tables at the arrival of new guests, he barely noticed them.

"Minister Han." The Empress beamed at her husband's most trusted subordinate. "It's a surprise to see you. Have you come to join us?"

"Indeed I am, Your Majesty." Minister Han greeted with a smile. "I hope you will pardon my intrusion. Just like the others, I would like to introduce my daughter to you – one that was separated from me at birth. But thanks to fate, we were reunited just recently."

"Oh! Congratulations, Minister Han!" Her eyes shone with interest, studying the demure girl standing next to him. "Come forward, child. Let me take a good look at you. What's your name?"

Minister Han's daughter stepped forward. Her silky blue dress billowed around her ankles. She curtsied elegantly and lowered her head with a polite smile.

"Your Majesty, my name is Han Zhi Ruo."

"You look lovely, my dear." The Empress complimented her, before nudging Li Xun underneath the table to snap him out of his reverie. "What do you think about her, Li Xun?"

Lifting his eyes, he found himself staring right back at the beautiful girl, one who greatly resembled his Long'Er — unmasked at that. As soon as he laid eyes on her, his body stilled. The sight of her stole his breath away.

It was really her!

She didn't leave him like he thought she did.

He gaped at her in astonishment, and she clearly enjoyed his reaction. With twinkling eyes and an amused smile playing on her lips, she greeted him with a warm expression.

"Greetings, Your Highness."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 10K 55
***THE WATTYS 2021 & 2022 - SHORTLISTED ENTRY*** The fragile peace between the two ancient kingdoms of Han and Jin is put at risk when traitors with...
Blind and Bereft By mimi

Historical Fiction

229K 24.9K 92
In order to uncover the mystery behind her sister's death, Li Jingrui will stop at nothing even if she must become a palace maid to serve a stern bas...
1.5K 73 12
A Necromancer without a soulmate A Crown Prince plagued with nightmarish visions A Mage unable to let go of the past ** Diya, the Crown Prince's b...
149K 11.8K 30
🅒🅞🅜🅟🅛🅔🅣🅔🅓 Wang Yibo, a twenty-eight-year-old handsome guy is a member of a group founded by his brother Haikuan in China-THE PRIVATE EYE. Th...