the truth about survival • an...

By unbrokenreflection

Helping people was Kamille Ali's goal in life, embedded within her from birth and all the way through to the... More

author's note
i. a pretty stranger
ii. trusting the pretty stranger
iii. a city full of infected
iv. like fairy dust
v. the truth about survival
vi. almost there
vii. bye to goodbye
viii. the new girl
ix. the abigail
x. left behind, almost
xi. jack in a box
xii. it's shitty luck
xiii. a loss is a loss
xiv. baggage claim
xv. all tied up
xvi. kidnapping the princess
xvii. mum knows best
xviii. no more running
xix. so much for a fresh start
xx. one step behind hope
xxi. unwelcome check-in
xxii. living
xxiii. conquering the mundane
xxiv. love story
xxv. bringing the family back together
xxvi. american border
xxvii. broke jaw ranch
xxviii. yet another goodbye
xxviv. staying for them
xxx. focus on living
xxxi. unsafe
xxxii. old friend
xxxiv. the wrong side
xxxv. a really racist high school
xxxvi. a clear divide
xxxvii. surprise
xxxviii. no place is safe
xxxviv. just a memory
xl. remarkable
xli. close
part ii is out now!

xxxiii. what you deserve

2.2K 153 6
By unbrokenreflection

A whimper escaped Kamille's lips as she gently touched her swollen eye. She was looking in the mirror, inspecting the injury, and hated what she saw.

Her left eye had a purple bruise forming on it and a small red cut healing on her eye lid. It hurt when she touched it, which made blinking extremely painful, but she had nothing to do except wait for it to heal and wish she had an ice pack.

A knocking on the front door of the cabin pulled her away from the mirror and she headed to the door to see who it was. Naturally, she rolled her eyes when she saw it was Jake.

"I don't want to hear it," she said, already moving to close the door, but he blocked her.

"Please, I have to explain," he pleaded. "I'll be quick, Kamille. You don't have to speak to me, just please let me say something."

Kamille felt her anger bubbling up inside of her as she stared at him. All she could think about was how he let Alicia stay at Walker's. She asked him for one thing – keep her family safe – and he did the very opposite. She so badly wanted to shut the door on him, but she also wanted to hear what he had to say.

Saying nothing, she stepped to the side to let Jake in. He nodded gratefully and walked inside. Kamille closed the door and followed him in, seeing him stand by the window nervously.

She waited by the bunk bed, body tense and arms crossed as she watched him.

"I shouldn't have kissed you," he started, making Kamille sigh as she dropped her crossed arms.

"Jake–"

"No, wait, please," he stopped her, seeming preoccupied as he tried to string together a sentence. "I shouldn't have kissed you, Kamille. I knew that you and Alicia were together, and you've told me how much you love her. Even if you didn't, it was clear. Everybody can see it."

"What's your point, Jake?"

His expression was apologetic as he met her eyes. "I like you, Kamille, but you don't like me like that. I understand that and I'm sorry for making things weird. But I still care about you and want to help. I promised you I would step up and make this place good, make peace with Walker."

"Going over there wasn't what I meant," Kamille told him exasperatedly. "He could have killed you! And now he has Alicia!"

Jake licked his lips as he shook his head. "Alicia came to me. She overheard our conversation yesterday. When you said all that stuff about staying here for them, and how you couldn't do it anymore... she heard and she came to me because she wanted to make things right. She wanted to help me make peace with Walker. For you."

Kamille breathed out slowly, eyes lowering to the floor as Jake spoke. She hadn't meant for Alicia, or any of the Clarks, to hear her outburst to Jake. Now Alicia had put her life in danger for her, and she couldn't feel any more guilty.

"She insisted she stayed there whilst I talked to my dad about the deal we negotiated," Jake continued. "I told her to come back instead, that I would stay, but she's as stubborn as you, Kamille. She refused."

"That sounds like Alicia..."

Jake stepped forward. "I promise you that I would never have left her behind and in danger, knowing what she means to you," he said truthfully. "I didn't ignore what you asked and I meant what I said."

Kamille looked up and saw he was genuine. She knew he was doing his best, and he must have seriously cared about her if he had listened to what she asked. She felt bad that she didn't like him the same way, but was glad she had him in her life as a friend nonetheless.

"Walker promised he wouldn't harm her," he said softly. "She's safe."

Kamille frowned. "He killed Travis, Jake... she's all I have. I can't... I can't lose her, too."

"Do you trust me?" he asked. "Do you trust Alicia?"

Kamille sighed. "Of course I do."

"Then trust that this will work," he said. "I've dealt with Walker a long time. He's serious about this negotiation. And Alicia believes in it, too. We both believe this is the answer to establishing peace. I know you want her back, but we have to be patient."

Kamille relaxed her shoulders as she nodded slowly, in agreement. "Patient. Got it."

If Alicia thought this was the right thing to do, then Kamille did, too. She was a smart girl, she wouldn't have done this without thinking about it first. And Jake was backing her, he wasn't stupid. If they said it could work, then it could work.

"Thank you for hearing me out," Jake spoke, nodding, his nervousness returning.

"Thank you for doing the right thing, even if it's dangerous," Kamille replied, smiling a little to ease the tension.

"I hope things between us aren't weird," he said, rubbing the back of his neck with embarrassment.

"They don't have to be if we don't make it," Kamille assured.

He breathed out with relief. "Right."

"How did it go with your dad?" Kamille asked, taking a seat at the table. "I can't imagine he's impressed."

Jake sighed, leaning against the window ledge. "It doesn't matter. Walker agreed to end the violence in exchange for water. We can give that."

"A small price to pay for a big ask," Kamille muttered. "This was a good deal."

"Exactly," Jake agreed. "We just have to wait a day and then I can return with our agreement. And Alicia can come back."

Kamille liked the sound of that.

Later that afternoon, Madison found Kamille with Joanie, talking in her garden and watering the plants.

"Sorry to interrupt," Madison said, halting the conversation, "but Kamille, can we talk real quick?"

Kamille nodded, setting the watering can down by Joanie. She glanced at the older woman, saying, "I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Take your time," Joanie reassured. "I'll finish watering the rest and then we can have some oranges I grew if you'd like."

Kamille smiled. "Definitely."

She left with Madison, walking a fair distance away out of hearing distance before the blonde stopped her.

"Nice to see you've made friends," Madison commented.

"Joanie's the only person 'round here who can tolerate me," Kamille answered, before shrugging. "She's cool."

Madison nodded, glancing the way they came, before looking to Kamille mischievously.

"We have a plan," she said quietly. "Me and Nick."

Kamille furrowed her eyebrows. "A plan?"

"To get Alicia back," Madison continued. "Troy has agreed to go to Black Hat tonight and sneak her out of there. We're gonna make sure she's home."

Kamille shook her head immediately. "No way. I don't trust Troy."

Madison seemed confused at Kamille's answer. "He's under my control. He'll do what I ask him for now. We can get Alicia back, Kamille, did you hear me?"

Kamille shook her head again. "Madison, I want her back, too, and if you'd asked me two hours ago, I probably would have agreed immediately. But Jake talked to me and I trust him. Alicia believes this is the way to achieving peace. She wouldn't want us wrecking that by getting her out of there."

"Kamille, we can't leave her with the man who killed Travis! Who is threatening to kill all of us!"

"Walker won't hurt her," Kamille argued calmly. "Jake and Alicia believe this negotiation will work. So do I. We can't ruin it, guns blazing."

"Kamille–"

"No," Kamille stated. "No Troy, no nothing. I know you're scared, I am too... but this is the only way. We just have to be patient."

Madison fell silent as she studied Kamille closely.

"Please, Madison," Kamille begged, not wanting Troy to do anything stupid. "Please promise me you guys won't go there tonight."

Kamille couldn't read Madison's gaze. Her hazel eyes were void of any distinct emotion, so Kamille wasn't sure if she was convinced.

"Okay," she finally said. "I promise."

Kamille felt relieved as she nodded and hugged Madison. "It doesn't feel like it, but this is the right thing. We'll get her back."

Madison returned the hug and said nothing as she pulled away. She smiled briefly, nodding, before leaving Kamille to go back to Joanie.

Later that evening, Kamille felt stupid to think Madison wouldn't do absolutely anything to get her daughter back. She couldn't find her, or Nick, at dinner or after it.

She'd asked almost every rancher if they'd seen the Clarks, but nobody knew where they were. Kamille was left to go to Jake's, knowing he knew almost everything that went on in this place.

"I don't know where they are, but Troy and some of the militia have disappeared, too," Jake said, panic creeping in his voice. "A truck is gone and so are some guns."

Kamille's eyes widened as she realised Madison had played her, having gone with Troy to get Alicia back.

"They're gonna ruin this whole thing," Kamille got out, fists clenched a little. "They've gone to get Alicia back."

Jake furrowed his brows. "How do you know that?"

Kamille grew nervous all of a sudden. "She told me earlier..."

"Kamille!"

"Look, she promised me she wouldn't go! I didn't think she'd lie to me!"

Jake groaned with annoyance.

"I'm sorry," Kamille said with a frown. "I should have told you. I just– I didn't think she would do it..."

Jake clenched his jaw, shaking his head. "It's not your fault. I just can't believe they would do this... it's Troy and his stupid friends. We're screwed! Walker is going to declare war and we're gonna be screwed!"

Kamille probably should have reassured him, but she knew he was right and felt a similar anger within herself. They only had to wait one more day, but Madison could never. She had lied to Kamille, right to her face, and went to get Alicia anyway. So much for establishing peace.

When Kamille spotted a truck pulling in the front of Jake's house that night, she knew they'd returned.

Jake was the first to walk out the door, Kamille following behind as he marched down the steps towards Troy.

"Congratulations! You just declared war on Walker's nation!" he shouted angrily, before looking to another guard. "Joe! Call the patrols! Watch for perimeter breaches!"

Kamille noticed Madison get out of the truck, along with Nick and some militia. Despite being angry at what happened, she was anxious to see if Alicia was back.

"They could be right behind you," Jake said, approaching Troy.

"They weren't," Troy shrugged, "and the mission was successful. We got the girl."

"I can't believe this was your idea," Alicia said to her mother when she got out of the car, irritation in her voice.

"Alicia!" Kamille shouted with relief, running to hug the brunette.

"Kamille," Alicia breathed out, wrapping her arms around the Brit, suddenly forgetting her anger.

Kamille held her tightly for that split second, wishing she never had to let go. Though she trusted the plan, a small part of her still believed she may have never seen Alicia again.

"You were in danger," Madison told Alicia when Kamille pulled away.

Alicia clenched her fists and motioned to Troy. "Not until Troy turned up and started killing people!"

Kamille turned to Madison, shoulders tense. "You lied to me. You promised me you wouldn't go."

"We had to get her back," Madison said apologetically. "I had to, Kamille."

Kamille stayed quiet, feeling a little betrayed as Madison stared at her.

"How many?" Jake asked Troy quietly.

"Er, four, five," Troy answered reluctantly.

Jake flared his nostrils, attempting to contain his anger, as he walked away with clenched fists.

"It wasn't just Troy!" Madison called after him. "I convinced him. I made the call."

Jake stopped walking and turned around, approaching Madison furiously. "You don't make calls, Madison. It's not your place to make the call. I made a deal with that guy!"

"Against your father's wishes!" Madison retorted.

"To save all of us!"

"He played you!" Madison shouted with frustration. "Walker wasn't gonna negotiate with you, you never had anything!"

Jake breathed out deeply before turning around and walking away quickly.

"There was nothing at stake except Alicia's life!" Madison yelled.

Jake stormed off as Troy and his militia slipped away. Otto, who had walked out of Jake's place quietly, approached Madison with a concerned look.

"I told you this was Jake's show," he said calmly.

"It was the right call," Madison stated. "Troy backed it. He believed."

"And bodies dropped, yeah?"

"Yes."

Otto gave her a knowing look. "A mystery why Troy backed that call." He moved closer to Madison, adding, "Them that don't listen have to be brought to heel someday."

Madison said nothing as Otto lingered, staring at her, before walking away. Madison turned around to look at Alicia, and then Kamille.

"I wasn't going to leave her there," Madison said quietly.

"You made things worse," Alicia intervened, glaring at her mother. "It would have worked."

"You promised," Kamille muttered. "You should have trusted me."

"That wasn't it," Madison said, voice steady. She walked towards Kamille, adding, "Someday you'll understand that," before walking away without another word.

Kamille steadied her breathing, trying not to feel angry or hurt, but it was getting increasingly different. She didn't think she'd ever understand why Madison had endangered everyone like that and ignored Kamille.

"So you didn't approve of this," Alicia said, earning Kamille's attention.

Kamille was relieved to see Alicia alive and well, but she also felt her frustration building up as she saw her.

"You... you did exactly what you told me not to do," Kamille said, voice shaking as she contained her irritation. "You left... what the bloody hell were you thinking, Alicia?!"

Alicia was taken aback, but moved forward to rest a hand on Kamille's arm. The Brit shook her off with annoyance.

"I wanted to make this right, Kam," she explained quickly, "I wanted to make this place safe! I had to do this, for you. You were right about what you said – you've sacrificed a lot for me and my family. It was my turn to make sure you were safe, to help Jake achieve peace–"

"I was terrified!" Kamille shouted at her. "You left and all I could think about was Walker killing you because of this bloody ranch! I don't care about any of that, about making things right, about fixing this place, I care about you, Alicia! I would endure this hellhole ten times over if it meant you were safe, but you left and I thought you were gone for good!"

Alicia frowned, green eyes flickering between Kamille's guiltily.

"You weren't supposed to hear all of that stuff yesterday," Kamille admitted, shaking her head. "It was stupid. I was angry, hurt. I didn't mean it–"

"You did," Alicia interrupted knowingly. "Don't lie."

Kamille breathed out helplessly. "It doesn't matter... you weren't supposed to risk your life for the tiniest chance that the violence stops."

"Yes I was," she said softly, moving forward and caressing Kamille's cheek. Her glassy eyes focused on Kamille's. "If it meant you were safe, then yes I was. I live for you, Kamille. And I would die for you, too."

"Don't say that."

"It's true," she said, smiling through her tears. "It's my fault you're here. My fault you're suffering. I owed you this. You deserved this. And my mom ruined it."

Kamille practically held her breath as Alicia stared at her adoringly.

"I'm not leaving your side," Alicia mumbled. "Jake was there for you when I wasn't. He cares a lot about you... I'm glad you have him."

"You're here now," Kamille reassured, feeling guilty that she'd seen their kiss yesterday.

"You're right," Alicia agreed. "And I'm staying. I'm not letting anybody touch you again, Kam. You sacrificed a lot for me. It's my turn now. And you don't get a say."

Alicia leaned forward before Kamille could even think to argue against her, pressing her lips to hers in a passionate, desperate kiss. Kamille was out of breath as Alicia pulled away reluctantly, her head spinning a little as Alicia's pools of green distracted her.

"I love you so much," Alicia muttered. "I'm sorry I haven't acted like it recently."

"You didn't do anything wrong," Kamille said.

"I didn't do anything right either," Alicia retorted.

Kamille sighed to herself, glancing down at her shoes, lips still tingling from Alicia's kiss. When she looked back up, she said, "We should get back to the cabin. Get some sleep."

Alicia nodded, intertwining their fingers. Kamille let her lead them both back, feeling grateful to Allah that Alicia was safe. And that they were together. She had missed her, even before she was at Walker's. She had missed her and felt that gap between them slowly being filled again.

"You don't have to leave," Alicia said hopefully. "You could stay."

"Or you could come with me," Ofelia said, looking between Alicia and Kamille. "I wouldn't stay here if I were you."

"Why?" Kamille asked, knitting her eyebrows together.

Ofelia went silent, pursing her lips as if she realised she'd said too much. Alicia exchanged glances with Kamille before looking to Ofelia.

"What do you know?" she asked.

Ofelia looked around before saying, "I did you wrong at the hotel. I put your life in danger. Come with me, that's all I can offer."

Kamille shook her head slowly. "We can't do that, Ofelia. We can't just leave. You see that."

Ofelia nodded regretfully, looking down to her shoes. "Yeah..." She paused, before looking between both girls apologetically. "I'm sorry about Travis."

They nodded as Ofelia walked away, heading to Jake's truck. He was planning on returning Ofelia to Walker, along with several cases of water, hoping it would work as an apology for what Troy did. Kamille tried to talk him out of it, knowing water wouldn't be accepted for the deaths of several of his people, but Jake was determined. He had his mind made up, wanting to gain peace and stop the violence for his people.

"Give me one minute," Kamille said to Alicia, who nodded with confusion.

Jake was about to get into the truck when he stopped, seeing Kamille approach.

"I'm still going," he said stubbornly.

"I know." Kamille moved forward and gave him a quick hug. "I don't know if it'll work, but I pray it does. You're brave for trying."

"Not brave," Jake said, shaking his head. "We all deserve this. I have to right Troy's wrong-doing."

"Whatever you say," Kamille said, before offering him a sad smile. "Good luck."

Jake returned the smile before getting into his truck, sitting beside Ofelia. Kamille stepped back as she watched him drive off, hoping it would work. Though she'd be lying if she said she wasn't afraid that was the last time she'd see him.

"Why would Ofelia be back? There's no way Walker would have left her. And Jake's back, too. Something can't be right, Alicia."

"We'll find out, Kam, but you need to slow down!" Alicia struggled to catch up with Kamille as she speed-walked through the ranch towards Otto's place.

News had spread amongst the ranchers, and eventually to Kamille and Alicia, that Ofelia and Jake had returned to camp in a horrible state. Kamille couldn't understand why Ofelia was back and apparently injured. But she wanted to find out, and also check on Jake who was apparently injured also.

Kamille finally stopped when she saw Ofelia heading out of Otto's place, being led by Madison. Alicia caught up to Kamille and followed her gaze, the both of them taking in Ofelia's bruised face and limp when she walked.

"What happened?" Kamille asked, horrified at Ofelia's state.

"Walker," Madison replied. "He kicked her out. We're taking her in."

"Ofelia, I–"

"It's okay," Ofelia cut off Kamille with a grimace.

"I'm taking her to the infirmary to get her checked out, then she can stay with us," Madison said, eyes meeting Kamille's, but Kamille avoided her gaze, still hurt that the blonde had lied to her.

"We'll come with you," Alicia replied, glancing at Kamille with concern before standing at Ofelia's other side.

Kamille silently followed them as they helped Ofelia to the infirmary.

"How is Jake?" Alicia asked her mother. "It didn't work, the exchange. Did it?"

Madison shook her head. "No, it didn't. He tried to scalp Jake–"

"What?!" Kamille interrupted with wide eyes.

"–but Ofelia stopped him," Madison finished reassuringly. "He's okay, Kamille. But Walker is angry."

"I wonder why," Alicia mumbled quietly, earning an eye roll from Madison.

"Thank you for helping me," Ofelia said appreciatively. "After I left."

"I promised Daniel," Madison told her.

"You're gonna be okay," Alicia added with a small smile.

Ofelia nodded and they led her to the infirmary, Alicia and Kamille staying with her as she got checked on. She was patched up in no time and the three of them had dinner together, with Madison and Nick eventually joining them, before they all parted ways, Ofelia choosing to get some rest.

Kamille and Alicia resorted to laying on a blanket in the grass, outside their cabin, taking a moment under the stars before things got worse with Walker.

It was peaceful, being with Alicia, the blanket of stars up above as Kamille tried to take them all in. She couldn't have imagined a better evening in the world they were in. But she sensed something off with Alicia. The younger girl was preoccupied. Kamille turned her head to look at her, noticing her pursed lips.

"What are you thinking?" she asked her, shuffling so she was leaning on her elbow and looking down at Alicia.

Alicia met her gaze, nervous green eyes staring at her. "Is what we've done to survive worse than Walker?"

Kamille wasn't sure, opting for a gentle shrug. "I honestly don't know, Alicia. But I want us all to be safe nonetheless."

Alicia seemed concerned as she asked, "What if we're fighting on the wrong side?"

Kamille breathed out through her nose, having thought about that a few times before. "I don't think there's a right side anymore..."

Alicia went quiet as she looked back to the sky, eyes glistening under the moonlight. Kamille almost got distracted by her profile, before she spoke again.

"I don't think Walker killed the Trimbols."

Kamille raised her eyebrows, surprised. "Why not?"

Alicia shook her head, eyebrows knitted together in thought. "I don't know. He just seemed surprised when I mentioned their deaths. Like he didn't know."

"He could have been pretending," Kamille suggested, though she could see Alicia wasn't convinced.

"I don't think so," Alicia said quietly, before looking back to Kamille with a conflicted expression.

Kamille's gaze softened. "Madison wouldn't tell everyone if it weren't true. I mean, surely..." But Kamille lost her words as she realised that may not be true. Madison had lied to her to protect her daughter. It wouldn't be far-fetched to lie to a whole ranch to keep them all safe. Would it?

"You're probably right," Alicia said, pulling her from her thoughts. "If it wasn't Walker, who else could it have been?"

Kamille shook her head, now unable to think away from the idea.

"Lay with me before you drive yourself insane thinking about it," Alicia said, half joking.

Kamille cracked a small smile as she laid down in Alicia's open arms, resting her head in the crook of her neck. She closed her eyes comfortably, relaxing as she felt Alicia wrap her arms around her.

Kamille woke up to the sound of distant screaming, her eyes tired as they adjusted to the dark. At first, she thought it was a dream, but the screaming got louder and she sat up instantly, reaching for her knife on instinct.

She looked over her bunk to see Madison had heard it too, the older woman meeting her eyes worriedly as she got up. Kamille jumped out of her bunk, Alicia joining her. Ofelia had woken up, too, and the screaming became more intense in the distance.

"Come on!" Madison said, before running out the cabin.

Kamille and Alicia followed, assuming Ofelia was behind them, and noticed the panic as ranchers ran around like headless chickens, gunfire sounding around them. It was dark out, so Kamille couldn't quite make out everything, but then the familiar sound of snarling infected made her realise the ranch was overrun.

The girls followed Madison as she shot the infected. They both took out whatever they could, urging ranchers to go back inside since they clearly had no experience dealing with infected.

"Nick!" Madison shouted, and both girls looked her way to see she had found her son amidst the chaos.

"Mom, you okay?"

"Yeah."

"Where's Alicia? Kamille?" he asked, before both girls joined them, glad to see he was okay. They couldn't say the same for some of the ranchers though.

"Where's Ofelia?" Kamille asked, looking around at all the screaming people.

"I don't know," Nick answered before looking ahead. "Wait... Ofelia! Ofelia!"

Ofelia was standing by the cabin door, looking out at all the panicked people. Yet she didn't seem surprised as she looked to Kamille and the Clarks apologetically. She began to walk out of the cabin and turn around, starting to run away.

"Shit, stop her," Nick said, beginning to run forward.

"What?" Madison asked, following after him.

"Ofelia, it was her!" he explained, before gasping suddenly and hunching over with pain.

"Nick?!" Alicia shouted with worry, bending over to help him. "Nick!"

Alicia looked up to Madison for answers, but she was looking out at Ofelia's retreating body.

"Stay with him!" she said, before running after Ofelia.

Kamille bent down beside Nick as he gasped for air desperately.

"It's okay, alright?" Alicia tried to reassure, before looking to Kamille with a terrified expression.

"Put him on his side!" Kamille ordered, needing help with turning him.

They both flipped him to his side as he began to spew a ghoulish liquid, before stopping and gasping desperately again.

"What's wrong with him?!" Alicia asked with panic, eyes watering.

"I don't know," Kamille got out, "but keep him on his side. We need to get to the infirmary."

Alicia did as Kamille said, the two not knowing what to do as they stayed by his side and looked around helplessly, wondering how things had turned worse so quickly.

//

ya girl turned 21 the other day and feels old as shit

also alycia returning as lexa made me feel all emotional, i miss her 🥺

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

352 23 8
"Swear to me. Swear to me right now. That you'll stay alive and come back home." The world has collapsed and in its wake, humanity prevails. Amidst t...
2.7K 208 45
Mother Nature has always been extremely generous and loving. But, as every organism that exists, when taken advantage of, she will fight back. Hard...
8.9K 287 18
"We're all scared, Dwight. Even if we don't show it. He defiantly is more obviously scared." Allie is a Savior, one of few woman that are one. Negan...
100K 4.6K 35
Alicia Clark was with her family when the first wave hit, when the dead had just begun to rise. Its been 2 years since she had last seen her family a...